A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Lincecum….Bumgarner…..Cain……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 9, 2012

If I walked into a room and just said “Lincecum, Bumgarner, Cain….” and then walked out of the room, you’d probably feel pretty good even if you didn’t know what I was talking about. You’d definitely be wondering how and why you had just awakened in an empty room with a stranger named “Big Flavor” standing irritatingly close to you, but you’d likely feel content–like everything was gonna be all right. Those 3 names just sound good when said together……

And yet all three failed this weekend. They failed in different ways. I give Cain a little more slack than the other two who put us in a hole from the get-go. But Cain still nearly squandered a lead of 6 runs (Bochy pulled him before the disastrous 7th started) and there’s only so much slack a guy pitching with a 6 run lead can get……..

And as improbable as The Big 3 Failing was too consider before the D-backs series started, it is equally improbable to consider “Zito as Stopper” without your friends trying to get you 51/50’d. But as Pawlie said in the last thread, “….maybe something in the lunar tides and magnetic jitterbugs of the celestial orbs w/granola…..”

And he’s right, baseball is improbable and often makes no sense. Zito pitching well today and helping us earn our first win would make no sense. But neither did “Lincecum, Bumgarner, Cain” spitting the bit the way they did in Arizona this weekend…….

The bottom line isn’t that we are 0-3 staring into the abyss of what appears to be an almost certain 0-4 start to the season. The bottom line is, do you believe in our pitching staff or not? If you think Timmy’s sending off warning signs with his 89.7 mph fastballs and that the dough has already gotten to Cain’s head and that Mad-Bum is just a dumb country hick who’s tapped out talent wise, then by all means, send off the tsunami alarms, the Giants are in big trouble this year….

But you don’t feel that way, do you?

And our offense seems perfectly tolerable, falling somewhere between “watchable and borderline reliable”. Although  Blanco’s strike out in the 6th inning with 1 out and runners on 2nd and third was brutal. That was his *moment* to secure our lead as well as more playing time and he blew it. But that’s ok. I like Gregor Blanco.

If you think Brandon Crawford will continue to make critical errors and that Posey’s 3 errors through 3 games can be safely extrapolated out to 162 for the year, then by all means, send off the tsunami alarms. Because we are screwed if that happens…….

But you don’t feel that way, do you?

This weekend was tough, it was irritating, and there’s no clear sign of when all this is going to end. Our bullpen is chewed up and we are beginning a series in Colorado. Not the way you draw it up.

But this team has dominant pitching, good defense, and a greatly improved offense. Forget this weekend. The Yankees, Red Sox and Braves are trying to do the same thing…..

“Lincecum, Bumgarner, Cain……”

Have a great day……..

1. stixwiz said, on April 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Imagine the odds a guy could have gotten betting a hundred bucks at Vegas (or Reno if they do it there as well) that Zito would throw a C.G. S.O. against Colorado today at the Box of Rox.

2. Flavor said, on April 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Bren tied up all afternoon, just checked Internet for first time in hours…
    Um….that’s hilarious….

3. St said, on April 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Credit Hector Sanchez, too. The kid called a beautiful game.

4. snarkk said, on April 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I said yesterday that Zitoid “may” give the best start of the roadie so far.
    But, how was Coors Field transitted into the Twilight Zone for a coupla hours this afternoon?…

• twinfan1 said, on April 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Well, it was low bar even for the Zitman. I like the “may”, though. I think I’ll use it often.

• James said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:19 pm

You can never be wrong! and what’s wrong with that?

• twinfan1 said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:37 pm

You may be right about that, James…

• unca_chuck said, on April 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Picture if you will. A maligned and disparaged pitcher comes to a launching pad of a baseball park. His team is searching for a win among the wreckage of their aces all getting shelled. To find out the outcome, you must first enter The Twilight Zone . . .

5. TedSpe said, on April 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm

There’s a disturbance in The Force

• Alleykat said, on April 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Luke…Search your feelings,Don’t give into the “Whiteside”of the force.

6. blade3colorado said, on April 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm

This is what Denver thought of it . . . http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_20358579/rockies-home-opener-giant-letdown

7. Alleykat said, on April 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Rah Rah..Barry Zito he’s are man he can’t.do it nobody can.
    Wow CG shut out 4 hitter at Coors,are u kidding me!! Congrats oh Zen Master.

8. twinfan1 said, on April 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Even the Rockies’ players dogs are ashamed
    dog

• unca_chuck said, on April 9, 2012 at 6:06 pm

That’s Zeke…

• twinfan1 said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Insulting me through my dog? Actually, it’s one of your.. uh,never mind..

9. ewisco said, on April 9, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Does this mean the BBOTD isn’t coming back?

10. unca_chuck said, on April 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Well, I DID say since Barry got married, and stopped chasing tail during his roadies, maybe he’d save his essences for pitching.

• ewisco said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Chuck, you’re on a friggin nostalgic role! POE. OPE. Give me the launch code dammit.

11. irishman5574 said, on April 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I think I am going to be ill! A CG SO, he is now THE MAN! Bochy now has a vet he can rely on. Dennis do you need a drinking partner??

12. Alleykat said, on April 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm

No Game Tomorrow?!?!?!?
    Ha! Perfect. Zito gets a victory lap around the pool, and everyone in that Purple Clubhouse including that stupid looking dinosaur(Barney) can watch the video of them getting”Schooled” by Zeets.
    Enjoy stewing in that all day,Rockies!

13. twinfan1 said, on April 9, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Zito Lovers! Welcome to Gooberville. Just hang a louie when you get to Possum Grape.
    zits

14. James said, on April 9, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Almost nobody saw this game . . . it didn’t really happen, and when he gets his ass kicked in his next start the criticism will be untempered by this illusion.

15. Flavor said, on April 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Don’t miss the POTD, which is really from yesterday and it’s just an excerpt of his post. I didn’t want anyone to miss one of the great predictions of our lifetime—no wonder he wrote a book about baseball, he knows more than we do. 🙂

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:09 pm

What the Efff! I go out on the thinnest branch of a limb after being crestfallen and cook up some mumbo-jumbo voodoo-cuckoo prediction that nails it? I should’ve bought stocks today. Or gone to the casino. Or at least the mall. What a game is baseball. Soooooooooooooooooo glad we one. I listened to Miller and Flemming while doing the dishes [better than seeing it w/ Rox announcers]. I’m beginning to like Flemming a lot more. Hey, today I recorded an interview for the Loren & Wally Show on WROR-FM 105.7 Boston. It airs tomorrow morning. Maybe you can catch it streaming. And y’all KNOW I mention the Giants if I get a chance. Happy with this win. And I’ll leave it at that.

• sandog said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Great call Pawlie! I still say Zito is the worst free agent signing in the history of pro sports and I look forward to the day that awful contract is off the books, but I’m happy for the guy. He stepped up at a time when another loss would have been tough to take. Damn near 10 years between shutouts—yikes.

• twinfan1 said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Damn near ten years between even pitching nine innings…

• twinfan1 said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:28 pm

It’s was cool to see a prediction and an uncanny one at that. Just never forget mine…

16. ewisco said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm

do you think timmy was taking notes on how to win with a below average fastball? 🙂

17. Alleykat said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:55 pm

“THE OUTER LIMITS”
    “There is nothing wrong with your television.Do not attempt to adjust the picture.We are now in control of.the transmission.We control the horizontal and vertical.We can deluge you with a thousands channels,or expand one single image to crystal clarity and beyond.We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive.For the next hour,we will control all that you see and hear.”

18. paulinasia said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm

The last time I gave Zito any credit for anything was during that road trip near the end of July last year, the one that vaulted the team to something like 4 games atop the division after taking 2 of 3 in Philly, and then also began the team’s descent with those games in Chicago and Cinncy… From what I remember, Zito had 2 or 3 ballsy starts including sitting for an hour or two during a rain delay and coming back and getting the win. I knew it was temporary, but I thought he deserved credit for that. So, yeah, tip your hat to the Zen master for giving us one Bizarro World game when the team needed it. But there is no heart to be broken, because expectations will remain zero until he’s finally gone. Love Stix’s tongue in cheek idea of persuading the Rox that Zito is just the guy they need, look at that great game he just pitched, please take him, now!

Michael, my question about that road sign is this: Is Possum Grape one town, or was it an exit for the town of Possum (turn left for Possum) and for the neighboring town of Grape (turn right)? I’m guessing there might be a Perkins pancake house in one of those towns, huh…. great sign.

• twinfan1 said, on April 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Well, Possum Grape is a town and it might have been where Yogi was when he said “We’re lost but we’re making good time”.. it may or may not be on the way to Goobertown, Arkansas. Now I’ve never been to Goobertown but if this young lady actully lives there, I might contemplate a visit.She’s rather attractive, I’d say…and surely the best thing going in Craighead County…
      girl

19. sandog said, on April 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I often find myself in public settings like sporting events and movies with incredibly annoying people seated directly behind me. It struck again last night when my daughter and I flew from SF to SD. This chick behind me literally did not shut up the entire flight–gabbing with the guy next to her she just met–loud volume, forced laughter—absolute nails-on-the-chalkboard stuff. Even my daughter was getting irritated. At one point we decided to fight fire with fire and have a loud conversation ourselves. I asked her several questions about the Hunger Games, which is a topic that bores the piss out of me, but gets her out of her pre-teen habit of giving one-word answers for everything and gabbing pretty good. Once we milked that subject, I started venting to her about the Giants. At one point, I said something like “watch Zito throw a 3 hit shutout tomorrow after the big guys all got bombed.” I followed it up with forced loud laughter as I knew there was no chance in hell that would actually happen.

• blade3colorado said, on April 9, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I seem to get the same types of idiots who follow me too Sandog . . . My classic encounter was 1999, where I am with my (now ex) wife and another couple. We were attending the premier of the new Star Wars movie. We’re watching the movie and really enjoying it, when I notice that my wife is sort of agitated and I glance to my left where she is sitting and I immediately know why. This idiot has his foot dangling on top of her chair. I completely turn around and ask him to please lower his foot from my wife’s chair. He removes his foot immediately and even apologizes. Fast forward to the best part of the movie (about an hour later), he again does the same thing, but also is bumping my chair around too. I grin and bear it, but am doing a slow steam . . .

Movie ends and I turn around and get right in his face and tell him, “Thank you very much for ruining the movie cocksucker . . . ” Right then, what seems like almost the entire row gets up and this old guy – who turns out to be his father, along with 6-7 relatives – says, “You have no right to say that to my son.” I tell him in no uncertain terms that his son is an asshole and he is too. He pulls out his cell phone and says that he is going to dial the police, but his hands are shaking so much he can’t even hit the buttons. I start laughing and say, “You’re shaking so much old man, give me the phone and I will call them for you.” He babbles something back and I again tell him, “Give me the fucking phone fool, I’ll call them for you.” His relatives just stand there with their mouths agape in shock.

Fortunately, my friends and wife pull me away before this really escalates into a riot and we left the theater before security/ushers responded. No idea if he ever managed to dial 911 – his hands were shaking so much, I thought he had Parkinsons. We went out to dinner after the movie and were laughing all evening about this incident.

• paulinasia said, on April 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Damn, remind me to never sit behind you at the cinema, Blade! :-p

20. Flavor said, on April 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm