A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

“Weirder and Weirder”—Jay Trotter.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 12, 2012

I don’t know about you guys, but I can’t wait to see what unfolds in today’s game. This series has been, without question, the weirdest series I can ever remember the Giants playing.

And I’m not just talking about Zito’s complete game shut out. The Rockies have 26 hits this series and not one of them have left the ballpark. Last night, Krukow kept blabbering on about the game being like an old Rockies game pre-humidifier but I don’t remember too many games in Colorado where the Rockies banged out 26 hits in 2 games without hitting a single home run. Their hitters put on a hitting clinic last night, spraying balls all over  the yard. Of course, when your pitchers are basically setting them up on a tee, it’s not that hard to put on a hitting clinic. Lincecum and Affeldt were equally horrendous……

I don’t know what Timmy’s average FB was last night but it was obviously better than the one he had in Arizona. It started out 92-93 and then mysteriously dropped to 90-91 by the 2nd inning (his FB averaged 89.7 in his first start in AZ). Had he gone longer in the game it would have been interesting to see what it would have been over the course of a normal start. But he got bounced in the 3rd inning so we will never know what would have been the ultimate end-point of his diminishing fastball…….

Regardless, Timmy has a problem. It’s possible he has a hidden injury. The public word is that his mechanics are screwed up. He also might just hate pitching in Arizona (all of ST plus Opening Day) and then got caught up in that weirdo game last night that seemed to affect all the Giants pitchers. There’s the “Hector” factor to consider but I think that’s a completely bogus argument— Timmy is a 2-time CY winner, if his game can get completely rattled and undone just because he’s pitching to an unfamiliar catcher then he needs to head down to The Man Store at Cahones and 3rd Avenue and re-apply for his Man Card. Make your freaking pitches and stop sulking about who’s catching them……….

Regarding the offense, it continues to click along in fantastic ways. Pablo is displaying all the expected signs that he could win the NL MVP this year. Hector is a refreshing breath of energy and success that only fans subjected to a full season of “Whiteside/Stewart” could fully appreciate. Nate hit 2 bombs, giving an emphatic 2 finger salute to those who doubt him. Pagan and Belt are another story. I don’t think the Giants will bail on Pagan this early but he’s on the clock. Belt is frustrating. He’s looked horrendous and that is hard to tolerate after watching him tear up spring training. I don’t know if he’s got a mental problem with the *real season* starting or if he’s just not ready to hit at this level. But if he doesn’t get it going quick he will be getting a quick ticket to Fresno—the Giants have a surplus of outfielders and first basemen who are producing. He probably won’t start today against Moyer and to not get a start in any of the 3 games in Colorado would be an ominous sign for his security on the team in the near future……..

Anyway, bring on Game 3. So far, this series has been spectacular theater……..

_____________________________________________________________________

Final Thought: Shout Out to “that fucking Clown”. The Flap’s got your back, dude. Good thoughts and good vibes being sent your way during this tough time…….

1. paulinasia said, on April 12, 2012 at 5:04 am

A week ago, before the start of the season, if someone had told you that the Giants would be averaging just under 6 runs a game (and a fairly balanced average at that) over the first 5 games, knowing as we do how good the team’s pitching is, I’m guessing we’d be thinking ‘ah, good start, probably 4-1 or even 5-0’ …. yeah, just weird.

2. paulinasia said, on April 12, 2012 at 5:05 am

Hoping some home cooking will do the trick after this roadtrip down the highway to Bizarro World.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 12, 2012 at 6:39 am

Sign of the apocalypse = the phrase Man Card appears in a Flap lead.

4. blade3colorado said, on April 12, 2012 at 7:00 am

Who would have thought that hitting would not be a concern – I was all in with the offseason moves/upgrades, but didn’t expect it to be this good – and pitching would be?

Like Zito, Bum needs to make a statement today. Needs to be especially careful against Cargo, who once dialed in, is a monster. In 14 career at-bats against Madison Bumgarner, Carlos Gonzalez has five hits (.357) including one double and two home runs. Those two homers are the only two home runs Bumgarner has given up to the entire Rockies lineup.

Would love to see a poll Flav regarding Timmy’s effectiveness going forward. Personally, I wouldn’t bet against him straightening out his early season problems. I think he needs to get back to the bay area and pitch in the Phone Park, where he can get his act together. These thin air climates in Arizona and Colorado have fucked with his mind.

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2012 at 7:56 am

I agree on the climate point, at least as a possible problem that can be fixed by simply coming home.

5. Nipper said, on April 12, 2012 at 7:01 am

He looked cute with his new haircut.

6. Pappy said, on April 12, 2012 at 7:55 am

We sure are f- makingup for a dry Winter.

I’ll be most interested to see how we hit the LH, especially the switchers.

• willieD said, on April 12, 2012 at 8:20 am

l Miller said onradio during comeback vs. Guthrie, Giants were at that point 2-25 vs. LHP. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, who hits and who sits.
      Good to see blanco get that walk, since he hadn’t walked much prior to that. burriss error got mota off to bad start, and nate didn’t help by throwing to third and allowing batter to take second. Rox just seemed to hit everything in the air deep and into a gap.
      What to make of the hector factor last night? anything or nothing…is lincecum just a guy he shouldn’t catch? Is he D up to mlb level?

7. rathmone said, on April 12, 2012 at 8:16 am

After watching Zito soft-pedal his way through a decent lineup on Opening Day, and knowing that it was going to be Timmy weather last night, I was fairly optimistic. I knew I’d miss the first 3 innings for own opening day of ber league softball (tragically, the BALCO Small Baggers are now 0-1), but hey, the Freak will be cruising by the time I’m in my seat. Instead, I walk in just in time to see Nate hit his first. 30 minutes later it was all downhill, or rather, all down the left-center power alley. 4 rows behind Melky, I had an excellent view of him chugging back and to his left over and over and over. IT got so bad the numerous other Giants fans started yelling at him to play over in the gap, and it was hard to argue with that logic. The play that [didn’t] occur at home was so awful it made me thankful I was 350 feet away. Only other bright spot was Nate’s second shot which was an absolute rocket.

8. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 8:30 am

Nate’s had good games before, that’s hardly his problem. He proved nothing last night except that the same kind of idiots who think Zito has “turned the corner” think that Nate has done the same. He’s a respectable 4th OFer, nothing more. Not a damn thing wrong with that, BTW..
    BTW, if Timmy is now at the point where he gets freaked pitching in Denver and AZ, he’s overpaid now by about 2 million bucks, those are division opponents.

9. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 8:37 am

The Hector factor? Absoluely ridiculous. Lincecum got fucking smoked with Posey catching.

10. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

Yeah, it was just irritating as hell to hear Krukow, numerous times, say how rattled Tim was by Hector’s defense. I guess he said much the same this morning. I’m sure he didn’t bring up the AZ start with Posey.

Shit, definite weirdness in the air. Bummie’s on the hot seat to at least go 7. The pen is gasping in the thin Colo air. The defense has been off-kilter as well . . .

11. willieD said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:11 am

I haven’t seen TL pitch yet at all; didn’t get to watch until after SF had made the comeback. Bloggers on baggs site commented how Tim shook off the kid a lot and opined it bugged him sanchez seemed unable to handle balls in the dirt. No excuses–he has the ball in his hands and has to make pitches to get guys out, since apparently he did get ahead 0-2 couple times and couldn’t finish hitters off.

• twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:22 am

Well, was it Tim who went for that terrible slider? And are you saying that Tim VOICED his displeasure with Hector?
      ( opined ) If so, he should be fucking ashamed.

• willieD said, on April 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Dude, lighten up, I’m not saying anything, b//c I haven’t hardly seen Sf play at all this year–5 innings of AZ last game (left with Cain up 6-2), no monday, couple innings of affeldt and mota yesterday. so, I’m relying on what I can filter out of baggs blog vs. you and your esteemed colleagues here. The bloggers on Baggs takes said lincecum seemed rattled and that hector’s d is shaky. I honestly have no idea how true any of that is…which is why I asked.

12. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:11 am

Pagan CF, Cabrera LF, Sandoval 3B, Posey C, Pill 1B, Schierholtz RF, Theriot 2B, Crawford SS, (Bumgarner P)

13. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:23 am

Who do MadBum and Cain blame?

14. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:28 am

I like your writing more and more, even w/o the bikini babes. If I’m not mistaken, Dennis did say the hitting will be better, but the pitching will be worse. But, after all, this is a minuscule sampling. I do not like the bout of Bowkeritis afflicting Belt and don’t-call-me-irreligious Pagan.

• twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:39 am

Dennis repeated what I said before ST even began.

• twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

I pointed out several times that that they’d score 700 runs this year, slightly more than 2010. ( Dennis the Menace said I was fucking crazy). I also repeatedly spoke of the dangerous lack of depth among the starters.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:51 am

duly noted, Doppelganger Aficiondao

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

I mean, Aficionado

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:03 am

Did you also point out several times that through the five games they’d have the second worst ERA (6.37) and would have comitted the most errors (10) in the majors? They could score 800 fucking runs this this year for all I care. If they continue to pitch and field like shit they’ll finish just right where they are now.

• twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

It’s no big deal when commenters share an opinion but when I’m light years ahead on a subject, I’m sure as hell going to point it out- especially when I get shit about it in the first place….now let’s see about Timmy- he can’t pitch in thin air, he can’t pitch in humid air, and he can’t pitch to a rookie catcher. That makes him good to go in about 20 starts this year..

• twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

What matters is how they do for the season. As I posted repeatedly, they will hit better ansd pitch worse- AND win the division. Did you even make a call or are you Sophing it again..

• Macdog said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

Agree with that, Pawlie. “Timmy is a 2-time CY winner, if his game can get completely rattled and undone just because he’s pitching to an unfamiliar catcher then he needs to head down to The Man Store at Cahones and 3rd Avenue and re-apply for his Man Card.” That one really cracked me up.

15. paulinasia said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:31 am

Maybe Tim shouldn’t have “shook off the kid” so much, huh…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:34 am

Though I wasn’t watching when Timmy got Rockiesized, reminds me of last year, ‘gainst the Cubs, when he stared vacantly, pondering the works of Soren Kierkegaard, into the catcher for what seemed like 37.9 seconds.

• unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’d prefer a little Kafka at the moment. . .

(Metamorphosis? Get it?)

OK, my literary humor sucks . . .

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:08 am

I’d prefer a little Latka Gravas myself. The way the Giants are pitching and fielding, they can kiss my yaktahbay.

16. blade3colorado said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:05 am

Related to what Flav and I said earlier, the chart below (ESPN) demonstrates the league’s tendency to improve in terms of average fastball velocity, by month, over the course of a given season:

Year Apr May June July Aug Sept
    2009 90.6 90.9 91.2 91.3 91.5 91.3
    2010 90.8 91.0 91.2 91.2 91.3 91.3
    2011 90.9 91.3 91.5 91.6 91.7 91.6

No way am I saying this is an excuse for Timmy, but it could be a factor.

Here are some examples . . .

Tim Lincecum (92.2 mph average in 2011, 90.0 in 2012 debut)
    Clayton Kershaw (93.3 mph average in 2011, 89.2 in 2012 debut)
    Tommy Hanson (91.1 mph average in 2011, 88.7 in 2012 debut)
    Ricky Romero (92.0 mph average in 2011, 89.9 in 2012 debut)
    Ubaldo Jimenez (93.2 mph average in 2011, 91.1 in 2012 debut)
    Josh Beckett (92.9 mph average in 2011, 90.8 in 2012 debut)

• twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:19 am

So based on the chart, Tim would be at 91 MPH by year’s end. Below average. If he isn’t now, he needs to making the transition to a finesse pitcher. BTW, Wilson is down again, as well.

17. Alleykat said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:17 am

eforeAgree Twin, Damm Krukow is so “2.Faced” he’s sayin on radio before the game,not a problem with.Sanchez behind the dish cause Timmy will call his own game anyway,then he slams Hector after Tim gets “Bitch slapped” out there.
    Freakin Krukow is the one who needs to “MAN UP”

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

Maybe Lincecum decide to have his barf month to start the season this year. Who knows? It is hard to say with him. It could just take a session with pops to clear everything up. Time to turn the page though. Today is a new day, full of opportunity for snot rockets and victory.

Go Giants!

19. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:34 am

Since some will misrepresent what I posted about Tim, let me make it clear that I don’t think he’s done- but now he has to locate perfectly. And if he’s really blaming others, he’ll need to lose that attitude.

• blade3colorado said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:47 am

I am not saying he is done either . . . However, I am on record as saying that his best years are behind him and correct me if I am wrong, but you have said the same thing. Moreover, I was adamant that the Giants not extend him beyond 2 years, 3 maximum. Besides you and Flav, I think everyone here wanted the Giants to give him at least 5 years and some delusional people (GH) said, “Yeah, 7 years sounds about right.” Paraphrasing of course.

Bottom line – Giving any pitcher more than 4 years when they become a free agent is a risk in my opinion, including Cain. I understand the reason why clubs do it, but nevertheless it is a risk. With Timmy and his downward velocity, I especially thought it was foolhardy and stupid to entertain his agent’s demands this year.

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 12, 2012 at 10:39 am

I only heard some of the game last night but as ST was ending and now early into the season Lincecum seems to have problems keeping the ball down. Was that the case yesterday? If so mayber he just needs to make a mechanical adjustment and it fixes the problem.

21. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’m not sure how accurate Gameday is, but according to them, 7 of the 8 hits off of him were on his slider at 83-85 MPH. That seems low in MPH for a slider/cutter so either that’s a god awful pitch or it’s really his split. In either case, they were BP pitches that had a cute little “hit me” sign on them…

• blade3colorado said, on April 12, 2012 at 11:17 am

Not certain if Gameday is accurate either, since him and Bochy said something to the effect that he was shelfing his slider because of the strain it puts on his arm (until maybe later on during the season). I think they were referring to the slider.

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Surprised Huff isn’t starting today. Very good numbers vs the old guy throughout his career.

23. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Like it or not, Pill is one of the candidates to go down when Fruckie returns. I’m sure they want to get him some ABs.

24. blade3colorado said, on April 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm

More weirdness . . . Crawford has a .350 BA against the Rockies and .178 against all other teams.

• Alleykat said, on April 12, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Crawdaddy sure does like Rockie pitching Blade,two for two so far today.Getting.the job done.with the.hits he’s had.Second on team in RBI’s behind Panda.

25. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Pagan conitnues to suck. Cabrera continues to impress.

• Alleykat said, on April 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hey.Chuck not to impressed with his 2-20 start,with a blistering .100 BA..Uh me either.

• Chico said, on April 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Cabrera just struck again.

26. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Welcome to the Giants, Angel . . .

27. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Cabrera is unconscious out there . . .

28. TedSpe said, on April 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Posey sure got over the shingles quick. Uh huh.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm

would be ok to see him get a case of the *dhoubles*

• ewisco said, on April 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm

so soon after lunch out here. ouch. or is is ohouch

29. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Bummie with an outstanding game so far. 7 strong is just what the team needed.

30. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Well, he’s their real ace now, so it was good to see.

31. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I’m getting a little of that ol’ TORTURE feeling. But in the very long run we know where that ends up: wearing black beads placed around my neck by MagnusFlavoris.

32. Chico said, on April 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Whew, nice to get out of that inning unscathed.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm

How come you never hear it when people get scathed? It’s always when they avoid it. I demand more scathing.

• unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Well, yer not getting scathing reviews . . . there’s that . . .

• unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Uh, you are? Scathe, unscathe, rescathe. Fuck it.

33. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Oh joy . . .

34. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Oh shit . . .

35. ewisco said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:14 pm

sounds like bwheeze is throwing a lot of cutters. no fastball today?

36. Pappy said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Le beard doesn’t look so menacing.

37. ewisco said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:16 pm

threw a fastball. 93 mph. jon says he keeps stretching his back. eww, 94 mph! trouble?

38. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Oh fuck . . .

39. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm

what the feckin feck

40. Pappy said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Helton, too? Oh shit.

41. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Casilla warming up.

42. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Pee rod?

43. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Burriss reenacts Bobby Richardson on McCovey.

44. blade3colorado said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Shit, I haven’t seen someone spit in their hands in quite a long time.

45. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Oh Lord.

46. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I’m as nervous as a game 7 of the WS.

47. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm

75 pitches?

48. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Pull him out of there.

49. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Take him out. He ain’t right.

50. Chico said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I need a drink.

51. ewisco said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:27 pm

this is like watching dusty manage. “i’ll just leave my vet in because i don’t want to hurt his feelings by taking him out.”

52. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Gaaaaaahh!!!!!!!

53. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm

i’m shaking

54. ewisco said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:28 pm

miller says he’s down to 90 mph

55. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Never in doubt.

56. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Gaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

57. ewisco said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

whew!

58. Chico said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Ballgame. *wipes sweat off brow* Cheers fellas.

59. Macdog said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Whewwwwwww!

60. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm

No doubt now-it’s 2010 redux..

61. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm

His last FB was 88.

62. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:30 pm

that was a very L-feeling W

63. TedSpe said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Phew

64. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm

FQIQ, Crawford said Weezy tweaked his ankle . . .

65. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I cannot believe what a nervous wreck that made me. Ah, yes, shades of 2010. But I still think Rags and Bochy walked the plank w/ Willie on that one, imprudently so. (Is plankwalking ever prudent?)

• twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Well, Casilla is hardly the guy you want if throwing strikes is the goal.

66. irishman5574 said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm

If you have blood pressure problems you should not be watching Wilson in a save situation

• Chico said, on April 12, 2012 at 3:41 pm

He’s probably taken a few years off of our lives. Almost worse than smoking.

• irishman5574 said, on April 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm

And drinking!! not that I would know anything about that

67. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 5:29 pm

FYI, he left him in because only a masochist wanted what was left if he took him out..

68. Nipper said, on April 12, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Wilson is just being his normal self. Why act surprised?

• twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Well, he gutted this one out because he’s one of the best competitors in the game, but he’s not going to survive on Timmy-level fastballs.

69. twinfan1 said, on April 12, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Tomorrow is the first MRI since the last craniotomy in January. This one is huge since the tumor has been treated with Gamma Knife twice and surgery twice, the last with radiation seeds implanted. If it’s still there, I don’t know what would be left. My local doctor will call me with the report, probably late afternoon or early evening. This one is being done up here. I’ve had some problems but not neccesarily tumor related. It can be hard to tell. Thanks for all the past support…It is also my 65th birthday, BTW..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm

We’re with ya. As you truly know.

• Flavor said, on April 12, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Hang in there, Twin.

• Alleykat said, on April 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Well “HAPPY BIRTHDAY TWIN,YOU OLD SEADOG”(GRIN)
      Best Result on your MRI Michael, and.give that hot nurse a squeeze for me!

70. Alleykat said, on April 12, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Trivia…..On April 30, 1987 the Giants played the Cubs,Jamie Moyer started for the Cubs.Mark Grant started for the Giants.Mark Grant was just about a year younger then Moyer.
    Mark Grant ended his his playing career 19 years ago.Moyer started today.
    That’s Amazing!

71. paulinasia said, on April 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Troi oi, Michael (VNmese favorite phrase, basically ohmygod), happy birthday. And I truly mean HAPPY, with hopefully some good news after tomorrow. You know you are in the thoughts of all of Flapper nation…

72. stixwiz said, on April 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Happy Birthday Michael! 47 model, huh? All the best.

73. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Happy Birthday Twin! Cheers man. I’ll tilt one for ya

74. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Jamie Moyer stared his ML career 3 years before Madison Bumgarner was born . . .

75. unca_chuck said, on April 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Happy B-day Twin! Hope you have some peaceful days and quiet nights . . .