A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Opening Day And a Potential Major Problem with Bee-Wheezy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 13, 2012

Wild weather here in the Bay Area—non-stop rain and even lightening and thunder. If it was a night game I’d be more confident about getting this one in. Maybe it just gets delayed a few hours (which would be perfectly fine with me) and they start late this afternoon. It feels like we’re about a month into the season and we still haven’t played a game at home. And there’s no guarantee of that happening today…….

If you fired off the *worry alarm* regarding Brian Wilson, I would not call you a pussy. The team is saying he *tweaked* his ankle and is attributing his sketchy performance to this *injury*.  And yet after the game Wilson sat at his locker in flip flops, no ice, with no visible indication that he tweaked or sprained his ankle. Listen, ankle’s can be resilient as hell but you can visibly see swelling at even the slightest sprain. In his blog, PAV said that after the game, “you couldn’t even tell which ankle was hurt.”

He threw a 93 mph FB to Giambi before this supposed ankle injury so that was good to see. But I don’t believe that any other FB in the at bat touched 93. This is a dude who used to throw 98. For the entire appearance he threw almost exclusively off speed pitches. I’m basing this off mlb.com’s play by play page. I didn’t add it all up but it looked to me like it was about 5-1 (off speed/FB).

I don’t know if Wilson is hurt but there are warning signs everywhere that this is more than just an *ankle tweak*….

Favorite Idiot KNBR Call in Call of the Day: During Tolbert’s show, a caller opined that’s Wilson’s drop in velocity was due to his beard. According to this Einstein, the size and density of the beard was somehow affected by wind resistance resulting in a slower delivery and, ultimately, a slower fastball. “Shave the beard, recover the lost velocity” was the flavor of the call. Tolbert responded (though incorrectly): “Well he threw one FB at 95.” Caller’s response: “yeah, whatever.” With Tolbert laughing in the background (a refreshing change from the deep, heaving sobs I heard from him on Wednesday after The Razor got the Axe), they went to the next caller……..

A reminder that Lincecum is not the only stud starter to come out of the gate slowly:

Zack Greinke: 2 starts, 6.75 ERA

James Shields: 2 starts, 5.54 ERA

Josh Johnson: 2 starts 8.83 ERA

CC Sabathia: 2 starts 6.75 ERA

Josh Beckett: 1 start, 13.75 ERA

Danny Haren: 2 starts, 6.97 ERA

Matt Latos: 2 starts, 5.59 ERA

Yovani Gallardo: 2 starts, 5.91 ERA

I’m more worried about Wilson than I am Lincecum, at least from a hidden injury standpoint………

_____________________________________________________________

Happy 65th Twinner, good luck today……..

1. blade3colorado said, on April 13, 2012 at 6:18 am

Just went through the last half of the Flap from yesterday – out on a date 😉 where I didn’t see the last inning of Wilson’s relief appearance – so no opinion there . . . However, I would be remiss not to note Twin’s birthday, so a big shout out and props for hitting the big 65.

Flav, any idea on whether the 2 starts you noted for each of the pitchers above were shitty in both starts, or just one? I didn’t bother to check any of those guys, except Gallardo, who I traded for in one of my FL leagues and he performed admirably in his second start . . . still laughing about that trade, because the team I traded with panicked, i.e., he took Wandy Rodriguez – who had a great first start, but went back below his personal “Mendoza Line” in his second start. Live and learn.

• Flavor said, on April 13, 2012 at 6:32 am

without looking it up, I know that Shields had an outstanding 2nd start (something like 8 innings, 1 run). Not sure about the other guys.

2. St said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:10 am

Happy 65th, twinfan. Hope for good news. Looking forward to a season of good debate.

Could it be Wilson is purposely taking a little off, knowing it’s a long season? Or his arm strength isn’t there yet after the injury? Still, it’s better that he’s throwing 95-98 in Oct than April.

Just heard a weather update: storm should be gone before the first pitch.

3. St said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:25 am

Interesting list, btw.

Pirates come into town having scored 11 runs in 6 games, and are hitting .199.

4. Nipper said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:42 am

Day baseball today!

5. Alleykat said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:56 am

Yeah like Timmeh,and many other pitchers who are struggling,I say big deal.It’s way to early in the season to worry about these studs.

Look at the hitters as well…
    J Upton…167
    H Ramirez .174
    A Rod ..174
    Andrus .125
    Elsbuury .130
    Mauer .167
    Lots more great players hovering around the mendoza line as well.

T
    Choo .167

• Flavor said, on April 13, 2012 at 8:03 am

3 of these guys are on 4/5 of my teams

6. willieD said, on April 13, 2012 at 8:10 am

I don’t trust wilson one iota on what he says about his health. Maybe his ineffectiveness was due to lack of work since season started coupled with shortened ST for him. Noticed DBax scored 8 runs in 3 ballgames in SD, one of which went extras. Tale of two leadoffs: Blanco has 2 BBs in 11 ABs (.308 OB), Pagan 2 in 23 (.200 OB). See what happens at home but if either of these two can get on, guys behind them can do some damage.

7. St said, on April 13, 2012 at 8:29 am

Pagan is about to get Rowanized. Hopefully Melky’s stroke will be compatible with the yard by the bay.

• Nipper said, on April 13, 2012 at 8:52 am

Premature judgement.

• blade3colorado said, on April 13, 2012 at 10:30 am

Agree Nipper . . . Any evaluation of Pagan is way too soon. Sheesh, we are scoring at least 5-6 runs a game. Hitting is probably the last concern I have right now.

• St said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Rowanized meaning villified. I agree it’s way too early, but there’s already a sit Pagan movement underway.

8. paulinasia said, on April 13, 2012 at 9:05 am

I haven’t looked it up and so therefore could be totally wrong, but it seems the Pirates always do a number on the Giants. If our boys take this home opening series, I’ll view that as a good omen for the season. As for Wilson, yeah, could be hiding something, or, just early weird stuff. But hmm, I find Lincecum’s ineffectiveness more troublesome, if only because I think it would be easier to slot someone else into the closer role than into one of the supposed top 3 starter roles… Time will tell.

9. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2012 at 9:17 am

St, Wilson taking anything off his pitches goes against everything he is and has done as a pitcher.

I couldn’t believe he stayed in after what appeared to be a hip injury. The probem is trying to gut this shit out atfer your 2nd appearance isn’t going to help in the long run. He was fairly fortunate yesterday to not give up the death blow hit with his velocity so far down.

• J-Bone said, on April 13, 2012 at 9:45 am

Well, before the latest injury, sure. But he actually spoke this spring about learning to back off, pacing himself, the stress of 2010.

10. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

I think it was 3 years ago the Giants were obliterated like 8-1 against the Pirates. Editorially we’ve gotten better I think.

11. irishman5574 said, on April 13, 2012 at 9:32 am

Chance of T storms in the afternoon, could be some delays during the game, but it looks like it will be played.

• TedSpe said, on April 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

I’d like to get Pete Giddings’ opinion of the possible rain delay. He’s the only one I trust.
      Happy 65th Michael!!

12. twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2012 at 10:02 am

Pagan CF, Cabrera LF, Sandoval 3B, Posey C, Huff 1B, Schierholtz RF, Crawford SS, Burriss 2B, (Cain P)

13. Macdog said, on April 13, 2012 at 10:02 am

Happy birthday Twin! And best wishes for many more to come.

Finally, the home opener. As Chuck alluded to, the Bucs are always a pain in the ass. I think they took 2 of 3 in SF last year during the August swoon. They come in with some horrid offensive numbers, though: 11 runs, 38 hits and seven walks in six games with an OBP of .241, so it’s a good opportunity for the pitching to follow MadBum’s lead and get back on track.

14. twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2012 at 10:09 am

Wilson: “I feel more locked in when the bases are loaded.”
    And I feel so much better now..

• irishman5574 said, on April 13, 2012 at 10:14 am

Happy Birthday Mike.
      Yeah that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing Wilson pitches better with the bases loaded

15. twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2012 at 11:47 am

Thanks, guys. I’ll be heading to the hospital. We’ll look for Brandon Belt along the way..

16. irishman5574 said, on April 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm

That is just terrible that Belt starts opening day on the road but not at home!! WTF!!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Strong words from Bochy over on Baggs’ blog. Not sure what to make of it but Belt seems to have pissed someone off. Or Bochy is just tired of the incessant nagging from the press and blogosphere. Unfortunately for Belt he plays a position (1b/OF) that is overloaded on the club so he’s not going to get the same leash as someone like Crawford who is filling an urgent need. They should just send him down to AAA instead of talking shit about him.

• blade3colorado said, on April 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Agree Dirt . . . He needs to hit everyday or he will regress. Equally important, it can’t help his psyche (see last year). Dude is a young player and needs to play everyday to hone his skills – whether that be at Triple A or here. In other words, shit or get off the pot already.

17. unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Good luck and good thoughts heading your way, Mike . . .

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 1:32 pm

That little Stow kid has an arm on ’em. That was nice to see. Happy Home Opener. I’ll try to keep my bitching and moaning to a minimum — just for today.

Chuck, I sent you another trade offer your way…

19. irishman5574 said, on April 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Cain looks like he did in AZ. I think he is ready for a win today

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Welcome home, Buster.

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Did Melky forget there were 2 outs? Shouldn’t have been that close at home.
    Huff Daddy! Great 1st inning. I might have to look long and hard to find sumthin’ to bitch about.

• unca_chuck said, on April 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Oh, we have no doubt you’ll find something.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm

The Makers Mark Mile wasn’t run according to Hoyle. Damn turf races!

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Matt Cain’s favorite horse after 4 innings has to be PLEASANTLY PERFECT. Winner of the ’03 BC Classic.

23. TedSpe said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Cain is able

24. TedSpe said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Since when did Cain become such a frickin’ strike out machine?

25. mrmrbill said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm

The Melkster is doing quite well in that 2 slot (and moves up to a tasty smooth .414 today)

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm

After that HR from Huff Daddy, they might as well send Belt down to Fresno tonight.

• twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm

They both belong in the LU. Huff’s success should have zero bearing on Brandon.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm

The operative word being “should.” But we both know it does. Pagan will continue to get the longer leash, and with Nate’s good start, there’s just no place for Huff Daddy in LF. Which means he’ll play first base, and Belt will continue to sit or be sent down to get ABs in Fresno.

• twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm

If anyone has proven that he won’t sustain success, it’s Nate. It’s wasting time fucking with him.

27. TedSpe said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Huff Daddy

28. Macdog said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Matty right on the money!

29. TedSpe said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Luverly bit ‘o baseball there

30. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Wow. That was some performance from The Horse. Extra carrots and sugar cubes for that guy in the barn tonight.

31. wswin said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

congrats…great home opener….and happy 65 Twin.

32. mrmrbill said, on April 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Too easy: 9IP 1H 0R 0BB 11K on 106

33. irishman5574 said, on April 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Now that was the Cain we all know and love!!

34. stixwiz said, on April 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Betcha that was one happy crowd edging outta McCovey Cove this afternoon. This one was more like vintage Matt the Horse than that disaster in the desert. Could be he eased back a bit on McDonald, else we would have been looking at his first no-no for the Home Opener. Except for that one little tick, though, things couldn’t have been sweeter for our $112M long-term relationship.

Huff’s heroics will bring thongs back in style around the Bay (mine here in Minnesota still hangs from a stick lodged in the front right stake-rack on my 91 F-150 woodhauler) and will be just about guaranteed to have Belt riding pine (or the Fresnobus) for a bunch of while. Hoping Aubrey’s knocks are not an outlier like his three-dinger night in StL last season.

Hope today’s W. was a sufficient Birthday present for you Michael.

35. ewisco said, on April 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Happy bday twin. i sent you an email but may have used old address. hope the hospital thing goes as well as possible.

36. twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm

It’s frustrating because they don’t have the MRI film done after the surgery to compare to. They just had a CT and I don’t know when that was even done. So it’s improved but that isn’t good news, it means it’s smaller than the pre-surgery tumor. If there’s an active tumor at all, I’m fucked. Happy Birthday to me.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 5:27 pm

It could be worse…

Good luck,

Dennis and Frank.

37. twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I have no idea what the clip is other than it’s from Young Frankenstein, and don’t intend to find out.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 6:15 pm

If the “worst” happened to Gene Kelly, he would do this…

• Alleykat said, on April 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Just Singing in the rain, cause we have Matt Cain.Nothin was gonna dampen the Giants home opener today.Not with a Stallion like Cain on the hill.What a top notch performance.

38. sinceseventy8 said, on April 13, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Twinfan – all of us lurker Giant fans are here rooting for you & we really hope for the best. Personally I have enjoyed reading your comments back to the Splash & look forward to reading many more. My avatar is the closest I could come up with as a tribute to you – not the best but hope it gives you a smile on a tough day.

39. Flavor said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Just got home after a day that felt like a month—missed the entire game but got to check the box score. On the way home, Byrnsie was saying it was the greatest pitching performance he’d ever seen. Normally, I would chalk that up to an idiot talk show host trying to get some ratings but, despite what you might think about him, he did play the game. And when a baseball player says something like that, I respect it……….
    So what do you guys think? Did Byrnsie overstate things? He claims he didn’t miss a spot all game except the pitch McDonald hit. I can’t watch it because I fucked up when I left this morning at 5am and forgot to DVR the game. But I’d love to hear the recount from you guys if you watched it………
    I won’t try to top ’78’s post. Happy birthday anyway…….

• DJLoo said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Cain was awesome. He should renegotiate immediately…

• zumie said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Hey, BF, Comcast is rebroadcasting the game in a few minutes.

• Flavor said, on April 13, 2012 at 8:32 pm

thanks Zumie–good to see you, btw 🙂

40. blade3colorado said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Flav, does Mark DeRosa qualify insofar as Giants you are following? He’s not on your list . . . Mark DeRosa so far in 2012: .077, 0 HR, 1 RBI

• DJLoo said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Nipper deserved a World Series ring more than DeRosa…

• twinfan1 said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:46 pm

He also worked his ass off to get back last year- and he would have received every penny of his contract if he’d just sat it out. He had no pop left but contributed down the stretch.

• blade3colorado said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:49 pm

No go on the World Series ring for Nipper . . . However, a Kix cereal Secret Decoder ring is on its way.

• Flavor said, on April 13, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I hadn’t thought of DeRosa but that stat line reminds me a lot of him. Good times. Yeah, I’ll add him……

41. Flavor said, on April 13, 2012 at 8:03 pm

The Watch List is getting ugly. DeRosa, Downs, Ishi, Torres and Stewart. Those 5 cats are 1 for 28. Ouch. Beltran is having a nice year…….

42. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Aaron Harang K’d 9 consecutive Padres tonight. He and his fellow Bums are really going to be a kick in the ass this yr when they take on additional salary at the trade deadline. $2.1B ain’t no goddamn joke.

43. DJLoo said, on April 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Seaver K’d 10 straight Padres in ’70. Al Ferrara twice.

• Alleykat said, on April 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Way to go Loo..Nice work with Tom Seaver Trivia……..Never liked Harang, He and Lackey have faces only their Mothers could like.Matter of fact they both have faces that look like the Preadator alien.

44. blade3colorado said, on April 13, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Flav, I sent you an ESPN email . . . Thoughts about a trade involving Heyward.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I once traded a Marilyn Monroe card for a Rita Hayworth. I’m a sucker for redheads.

45. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 13, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Flav, my next, and current goal in life is to have Richard Dreyfuss respond to one of my “Let It Ride” tweets.
    It’s not looking good. I think Looney has a better chance having his next winning week betting with Lufkin than I have of getting a response from a guy “who could be walking around lucky and not even know it.”