A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The (Mis?)Handling of Brandon Belt

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 14, 2012

The bloggers are up in arms over this one. Bochy’s said he was “giving him a day” but that day turned into 3 or 4 and now it appears that Belt is no longer the starting first baseman. He’s got 1 hit this season in 11 at bats to go along with 5 strike outs. He’s been terrible at the plate. Krukow had a long winded excuse for him the other day that had something to do with his front shoulder. I wasn’t really listening. With Krukow, everything comes down to mechanics.

It’s also quite possible that Belt isn’t mentally ready to hit at this level. He seems to have spring training and the minors down pat. But he gets to the big leagues and it’s like the *off* switch gets hit. And frankly, I don’t blame Bochy at all for how he’s handling him. The bottom line is that Huff is producing. He’s taking walks, he’s getting hits and he’s better placed at first base than he is in the outfield.

The next natural question is, what about Pagan? Why isn’t he on the bench? It’s  a decent question, Pagan has been equally horrific, but he’s got 3 things that Belt doesn’t have: 1) an MLB track record 2) speed. 3) a mood you don’t want to disrupt.

Pagan boldly claimed in spring training that he would steal 50 bases this year. 50? Well, he’s on pace to steal *0* for the season. As it stands, he’s gonna come in a skosh shy of that brash  prediction. But speed is a hypnotic temptress, Bochy is doing the right thing in waiting on Pagan. He’s stolen 69 bases the last 2 seasons. It would be tough to send that to the bench a week into the season. And while Pagan seems to be a good teammate right now his *track record* is that his mood turns sour quickly and the Giants probably don’t want to deal with that so early in the season……

You might say, well why is Nate getting starts? I thought he was the 4th outfielder? Nate seems to be able to hit in Coors Field and I’m hoping his 2-bomb game doesn’t trick Bochy into giving him more starts in RF. Nate is clearly best coming off the bench.

What about The White Shark? Should he be getting more starts? Eh, maybe. He’d probably get some for the same reason that Bochy is leaving Pagan out there. His speed. But I don’t see Blanco getting much more than a spot start here and there (unless Bochy moves Pagan down the LU). He’s just happy to be here, he’s fine coming off the bench. Another reason why I think Pagan will continue to hold on to a starting outfield spot.

But the plan for Pagan will probably be to move him down in the order at some point in the near future (probably to 6th). If that happens THEN I could see Bochy sliding The White Shark into the LU to give us a leadoff hitter.

Melky probably isn’t going to see any time at leadoff.  He’s our 2nd best hitter right now, just leave him where he is…….

When considering all of the immediate short term possibilities I just don’t see where Belt fits into the line up on an everyday basis. I like Belt, I’m happy he made the team. But you have to produce at this level to stay at this level. Eleven at bats is certainly not enough time to give him but there are circumstances (mostly related to Pagan) that are pushing Bochy to make the recent decisions he’s made.

Maybe the plan WAS to just give Belt a day off. It turned into *3 or 4*. And now he’s back to the bench and probably headed to Fresno when Glass comes off the DL…….

1. Nipper said, on April 14, 2012 at 8:01 pm

ZITO is producing a good product.

2. blade3colorado said, on April 14, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Well, pitch hitter for Barry leading off . . . Hopefully, they can win it for him this before the pitching change (he deserves it).

• blade3colorado said, on April 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm

*inning

3. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 14, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’d like to see some good reportorial detective work on Willie, to answer any or all of those questions Magnus posed. But the fact remains; elbow damaged. Second opinion? Rodney Dangerfield: “And you’re ugly.”

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 14, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I was reminded of one of Rodney’s one liners this morning…
      A girl phoned me the other day and said, “Come on over, nobody’s home. “I went over. Nobody was home.

4. Macdog said, on April 14, 2012 at 8:41 pm

At least now we’ll be spared Dennis bitching about Wilson pitching the top of the 9th in a tie game.

• twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2012 at 8:54 pm

A reprieve is all we get from his spiels, never spared.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm

You won’t admit it, but you’d miss me if I was gone. That’s what I tell Frank on a daily basis.
        He in turn gives me a look like, “Who the fuck are you?” 😀

5. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:03 pm

The Riot finally does sumthin’! If the Bucs don’t walk the bases juiced here, they deserve to lose.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Thank you. And TF, I posted that before Hurdle made the move.
      You’d be surprised, I can mange a bit. Ever see Jack in “Anger Managment?” 😀

• twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Trying to take credit for expecting a chalk move- typical Dennis the Menace nonsense.

6. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:05 pm

How can we miss you if you won’t go away?

7. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Yeah, uncanny Dennis.

8. Macdog said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:09 pm

That’ll work!

9. mrmrbill said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Lulz! Crouching Zito, Hidden Melkie.

10. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Woo hoo! Ballgame!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm

For the third and final time, could you please look over my trade offer?
      Tell me to shove it up my ass, but do something. I’m beginning to think you’re even a bigger lazy bastard than I am. It that to be true, that would deserve a medal and/or trophy come your way.

11. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm

That was a fucking gift. And Burriss doffing his helmet and bowing to the crowd after he scored should not, and would not be tolerated and forgotten if I was managing the Pirates.

Chin meet music his next AB. Respect the game.

• twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:19 pm

After a walk off that was totally fair. Nothing out of line at all.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:34 pm

That’s where we differ. Burriss scored on a play and reacted/displayed “Look what I/we did to win the game.”
        Sorry. It was a gift. And when receiving a gift, a person should be thankful and indebted to his “Santa Claus.” Not making moves like he’s auditioning for Oscar Hammerstein’s “Show Boat.”

I love celebrating as much as the next guy. But when the situation warrants, show some goddamn humility.

• twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm

As always, when it comes to baseball, you’re wrong. And Burriss forced that error.

12. twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:24 pm

It’s like a closer doing his routine after the save- you don’t do it for every out, but after the last out it’s cool. *Learn* the game…

13. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I’m not lazy Dennis. I’m doing other shit.

Yeah, it wasn’t the gay-ass prince fielder bowling pin sketch comedy routine.

Leave it to you to get pissed at something that isn’t even close to being worthy.

14. twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm

BTW, it’s early for him as it is for everybody, but Burriss looks much stonger this year. His hits are stung, not flopped.

15. Flavor said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm

very nice win. I had no concern at all about that inning. Had Melk not done it, Pablo would have……
    Tomorrow we vote on who the closer is *ultimately* gonna be. Who will have the most saves for the year……

16. paulinasia said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Agree, Craig, knew that run would score. And while the error might have been a “gift”, Emanuel’s leadoff single was huge to get it going. He had every right to be happy about that walk off win. At .500 now and would love to see them never look back.

17. twinfan1 said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Burriss got it started, then he went first to third on Theriot’s hit, and his speed also forced the miscue. It was not, as the Menace says, a “gift”..GNight

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm

The official scorer and box score says that Burriss’s GW run was UNEARNED.
      In my book, that’s a gift. Allow me to be the first to wish you a Merry Christmas.

18. blade3colorado said, on April 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Helton walk off homerun against the Snakes.

19. snarkk said, on April 14, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Re: earlier today, rare that Oracle and I agree on two things in one day. Belt is getting phucked by the team, and his wife is a nice looking wholesome girl. Sabean and Bochy are phucking with him more than his wife. As for tonite’s game, Zito pitched well. If SF got that start from him every 5th day, start buying the division playoff tix right now. It’s early, but this scoring runs thing is fun and could get habit forming. I figured a few weeks back that it would be just barely over 4+ rpg this year. Maybe I should ratchet up to 4.25? And, I projected LA to win the division. They’re doing nothing so far to stop me from thinking that. Kemp is an animal…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 14, 2012 at 10:39 pm

What’s even worse is that Kemp’s an animal at Chuck’s Zoo. What time is it? It’s “Amok time.”
      I believe “Amok” is Latin for “Mook.” Just go ask James T. Kirk. Chuck is a fucking mook…and we don’t pay mooks…

20. snarkk said, on April 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm

As for Wilson, I don’t have much to say on that, yet. Gotta read up and digest what’s being said out there. I’d guess it’ll be Closer by Committee until somebody shines and/or blows up. Hembree probably won’t be up until mid season — IF he shows he can get it done in Fresno, and shows command improvement. If nobody already in the Pen can get it done before then, only then will he be up sooner, IMO. He’s pretty damn green, and major leaguer hitters can hit 97 mph fastballs that don’t move much…

21. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Well, they are saying Belt gets the start tomorrow. The kid has to be a little rattled by this. It was nice to see Pagan getting it going a little bit. Most of the team seems pretty comfortable at the plate. Huff? Well. I did say most . . .

22. unca_chuck said, on April 14, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Has LA played anyone else besides SD yet? Seems like they’ve played 3 series against them already

• zumie said, on April 15, 2012 at 12:51 am

The Dodgers 8-1, so far. 6 games against the Padres, 3 against the Pirates. Another one against the Padres on Sunday. Not exactly a tough schedule to start with.

• snarkk said, on April 15, 2012 at 1:20 am

You’re right, but the Pads, even when bad, have usually played LA tough. LA will obviously come back to earth from 7-1, but they can hit and hit. I think their pitching is better than previously thought. Billingsley looks like he’s ratcheted it up this season…