A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

New York Bound and a Barry Zito Anonymous Program

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 20, 2012

A quick check of the Ex-Giants *Watch* list shows a bedraggled, motley crew. Outside of Beltran and (and maybe Ross a little bit) our ex-Giants are displaying some of the same skills or circumstances that led us to become so regularly frustrated with them.

This weekend series was probably circled by both Torres and Pagan. Unfortunately, Torres has been on the DL since the Opening day after he strained a muscle in his calf. The Mets are being cautious with him, still not allowing him to run. I can’t imagine how difficult this is for Torres. To have to muzzle his boundless energy on the bench knowing how badly he wants to contribute to his new team must be eating him up inside. Personally, I’m bummed we don’t get to see him lead off 4 times a game this weekend.

Tonight……Barry Zito. After his complete game shut out in Colorado I admitted to the world that I was wrong and Zito isn’t “completely done as a major league pitcher”. You can’t produce a complete game shut out ANYWHERE at this level if you are *completely done*. And he was very impressive in his follow up start in San Francisco. I’m not looking to do any “I told you so’s!” tonight. I want him to pitch well just like all the rest of us. But I am looking at this start tonight to see just how wrong I really am about Zito. The start in Colorado was some weirdo-Karma-tea leave thing. Nothing will ever explain that. And his 2nd start was against a terrible Pirates team at home.

Tonight he goes against a team on the road. A team who moved their fences in this season. A team who, though Vungo-free and not Pirate-esque, is still a pretty decent hitting team….

If Barry repeats something close to start #2 tonight I will move up one level  in my BZ Anonymous Program. It’s a 5 step program that I suggest you all get into if you want to be able to make it through a full season of 30 Barry Zito starts.

The 5 steps you have to go through:

1) Admit that, as a fan, you are powerless to stop a Zito start from happening

2) Admit to God, to ourselves, and to another human being that you were wrong about Zito being “completely done* as a major league pitcher.

3) Humbly ask Bruce Bochy to remove him before he finishes the 7th inning since we all know he usually gets destroyed when having to go through the line up a 4th time……

4) Accept that even though you can finish this 5 step program you never actually finish anything. It’s ongoing and a process that never ends.

5) Though there will be moments this season when you want to ring his chicken neck, just keep saying to yourself “I’m ABZ”—All ‘Bout Zito, baby…….

1. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:39 pm

looks like romo will need to earn this

2. Alleykat said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Great Work Homo.Your killing me…..

3. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Torture with or without BW

4. Alleykat said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm

HENSLEY YOUR THE MAN!!!!! EXCELLENT. WORK ON 420 DAY SMOKE A FATTY ON ME MY MAN!!!!

5. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:53 pm

And exhale…

6. Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Hey ed, I’ll do it for you YES.

7. Macdog said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Feat of Clay!

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Nice

9. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Denny, the no closer phrase is cute but oh so wrong. Why don’t you some research on the closer? It will help you.. anyway, another terrific game. Loved seeing Hector calling for the balls in the dirt in the last inning and blocking them. Gutsy kid..

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm

POTG, zero doubt. IMO.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I have. From 2001-2010 closers ERA in NON-save situations was 0.71 higher than in save situations.
      Why do you hate it when I’m right? Especially on a night when we won because of my “cute phrase.”

Read the stats for yourself: http://tinyurl.com/7onb6g3

10. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm

If we have Whitey or Stewie instead of Hector, we don’t win this one.
    This was a big grow up game for Hector, and he passed with flying colors, IMO.
    Sheezus, if this squad can get over the horrendous hitting with RISP, they might turn into something.
    Romo looks pretty shaky, Affeldt was nails. Great to get first win of the series. Mets are not really that good, as I knock on wood…

11. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I was experiencing some consternation during the last innings. Jolly good our boys came through with some victorious play. Bully! Bully I say.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Go to bed, dude. What time is it over there? Another hour or two and its time for Bubble and Squeak…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:19 pm

11:19pm and want to hit the road for 4-5hr trip to game tomorrow by 0700hrs

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Good on ya, Pawlie. But, I meant eddacker over in England. What is it over there, 4:30 am and the dude is watching Giants. That’s a fuckin fan. BTW, have fun tomorrow at Citi, give ’em hell…

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Has any team shortened the collective life span of its fan base via so many pulsating finishes? Gawd! G’night, gurls.

• Macdog said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Hey Pawlie, just sent you a text. Agreed with your 5:54 re the Mets announcers. My immediate reaction was, “Fuck you.”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:22 pm

just replied; see you at game; BTW, Finnerty’s Tweeted that Giants fans gather in sec 138

13. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Are you ready? 6 games ( Richmond) 8.2 IP 4 H 0 R 0 ER 2 BB 7 K. Yep, Brett Bochy is looking like he just might be a prospect.
    brett

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Looks like he’s rockin’ the size 8 whatever cap, like the ol’ man…

14. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Kruk on Zito tonite: he was “outstanding, with a tough strike zone (by the ump)”.
    Keereist…

15. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Speed again, won this one. Melky with a walk, then steals on a pitch out, then scores. Blanco keeps that hit in the gap to a single. This team is the start of what future Giants teams need to look like. Nothing but speed and gap hitters in the outfield, and good to very good speed up the infield middle. It is the recipe for success overall, and especially at ATT…

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Good point. Citi Park is the same deal (regardless of moving in the fences).

16. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:37 pm

The Zitman was easing us in for the horror that awaits.

17. Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Pawlie— I have been pretty unavailable this week, I know. Insane work/personal stuff and it’s just very difficult for me to pick up a personal call during the day. I loved your idea though. Bounced it off a few people who might know and they loved it to. I’ll be in touch on that for sure.
    We have an intersection of Flavor Nation in New York tomorrow. Kokonuts and possibly MacDog are meeting before the game. Loo is fiddling around there as well.
    You know how Gregg Williams offered up some dough for the first hit? Disgusting, I know. But I’m offering up $50 for whoever gets his picture taken with DJLoo this weekend. I will up the bounty if I must…….

• Macdog said, on April 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Yes, the long car/train/subway ride to Flushing tomorrow (or later today) got a little easier with that nail-biting win. Hoping to meet up with Pawlie — we almost did so last summer in Syracuse — and maybe even get a signed book, too!

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Pawlie’s str8 $ at a game. He’s all baseball, he’s fuckin’ New York, and yet he throws all those subtle cool ass writer comments into the conversation that make you feel like you’re hanging out with someone cooler than yourself.
        And if you guys can somehow get a DJLoo sighting…..oh my God…..I’m bursting just imagining the moment……..

18. zumie said, on April 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm

The Braves are knocking around the D-Back’s LOOGY again. Patterson looked good against the Giants, and it looked like the D-Backs had found themselves a really good LOOGY; but this Braves series has been rough on him.

19. Macdog said, on April 20, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Hell, we’d do it for free!

20. Sportdude said, on April 20, 2012 at 9:22 pm

A great win. Not good to blow the save, but Romo and Hensley were tough when thet needed to be. Hector vs, Whitey? in 2011 we lose this game in that situation. Stolen base to get a run in??? unheard of. Great way to start the trip!