A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

New York Bound and a Barry Zito Anonymous Program

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 20, 2012

A quick check of the Ex-Giants *Watch* list shows a bedraggled, motley crew. Outside of Beltran and (and maybe Ross a little bit) our ex-Giants are displaying some of the same skills or circumstances that led us to become so regularly frustrated with them.

This weekend series was probably circled by both Torres and Pagan. Unfortunately, Torres has been on the DL since the Opening day after he strained a muscle in his calf. The Mets are being cautious with him, still not allowing him to run. I can’t imagine how difficult this is for Torres. To have to muzzle his boundless energy on the bench knowing how badly he wants to contribute to his new team must be eating him up inside. Personally, I’m bummed we don’t get to see him lead off 4 times a game this weekend.

Tonight……Barry Zito. After his complete game shut out in Colorado I admitted to the world that I was wrong and Zito isn’t “completely done as a major league pitcher”. You can’t produce a complete game shut out ANYWHERE at this level if you are *completely done*. And he was very impressive in his follow up start in San Francisco. I’m not looking to do any “I told you so’s!” tonight. I want him to pitch well just like all the rest of us. But I am looking at this start tonight to see just how wrong I really am about Zito. The start in Colorado was some weirdo-Karma-tea leave thing. Nothing will ever explain that. And his 2nd start was against a terrible Pirates team at home.

Tonight he goes against a team on the road. A team who moved their fences in this season. A team who, though Vungo-free and not Pirate-esque, is still a pretty decent hitting team….

If Barry repeats something close to start #2 tonight I will move up one level  in my BZ Anonymous Program. It’s a 5 step program that I suggest you all get into if you want to be able to make it through a full season of 30 Barry Zito starts.

The 5 steps you have to go through:

1) Admit that, as a fan, you are powerless to stop a Zito start from happening

2) Admit to God, to ourselves, and to another human being that you were wrong about Zito being “completely done* as a major league pitcher.

3) Humbly ask Bruce Bochy to remove him before he finishes the 7th inning since we all know he usually gets destroyed when having to go through the line up a 4th time……

4) Accept that even though you can finish this 5 step program you never actually finish anything. It’s ongoing and a process that never ends.

5) Though there will be moments this season when you want to ring his chicken neck, just keep saying to yourself “I’m ABZ”—All ‘Bout Zito, baby…….

1. willieD said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:20 am

I was certainly part of the ABZ movement. If he can be no worse than “acceptable #5 SP”, then whatever. I’m sure at some point he falls apart, but I thought it would have been couple starts ago. Altho his explanation for it as the same useless babble–it still bugs me to hear the word Zen, respectable philosophy of the world, associated with him and his travails.
    what’s interesting to listen to is how TL explains his situation now from the other side of the coin. Vogs was great in his only start, Z has two good ones and so does the rest of the rotation, with Cain’s last two being completely dominant. Meanwhile, everywhere Lincecum goes he’s going to get more scrutiny, and I can’t imagine how he can hide from the NY media throng. See how he handles it, and himself, on big stage.

• Nipper said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:40 am

In April worried about a media throng?

2. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:32 am

Barry’s shut out will ultimately hurt the team more than Lincecum’s terrible start- it doesn’t prove he’s a major league starter as much as it proves that he’s stepped up his evil plan that will culminate in the Giants losing their rights to San Jose .The only reason he didn’t pitch another shut out is because of the suspicion it would cast on him and the drugs supplied by Beane.

• Nipper said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:39 am

It’s a conspiracy of dunces!

3. Nipper said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:38 am

“I admitted to the world I was wrong…” BF admits his limitations!

4. Alleykat said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:50 am

As Clint Eastwood would say….”A man’s got’s to know his limitations!!

5. St said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:09 am

Nothing has changed really. He’s the same guy he’s been since the signing. You get an occasional gem, a handful of good ones, a dozen or so barely acceptable and a dozen or so where you want to strangle him.

6. willieD said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:11 am

check out the fangraphs article on belt, and the comments (long ones from giants fans including the obsessive/compulsive guy). Interesting reading…ultimately they are still fighting the huff vs. belt battle. I think it’s more the huff vs. everyone else battle–nate, pagan, blanco, melk. 6 guys for 4 spots, factor in splits, defense, OB and slugging. glad i don’t get paid to have to figure it out.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:33 am

The writer knows what all baseball people know- Belt should be playing. I believe even Shandler is on board..
      “Brandon Belt: ‘In college I was a lot more squatty — believe it or not. My hands were a lot lower and I was a lot more closed off. So pretty much as soon as I got in the [Giants] organization, they opened me up, they raised my hands, and they got me up out of the crouch just a little bit just so I could stay stacked in my upper body. And so far it’s worked out pretty well for me”. — as told to Adam Foster at Project Prospect, November 7, 2010
      So this guy now won’t make changes similar to ones he once made? With a starting job on the line? Seems unlikely.

7. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:14 am

Zits had a very good April in 2010, sucked quite a few skeptics back into his black hole- we know how that turned out. Not nearly enough credit is given to Bochy for saving the World Series, indeed the entire postseason, by leaving Zito off the postseason roster. Many have said he had no choice, which is poopycock as it comes from the same people who claimed that Bochy would stick with any vet over a kid, regardless of their records. No, going with MadBum was the equivalent of starting Justin Bieber over Renteria if those vet conspiracy types were right. Bochy
    deserves a statue as much any player ever for what he did to stymie Zito’s despicable aim…

• Nipper said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:17 am

Zito when he stinks he really stinks big time. If he can avoid that this season well I would forget and forgive. Still does a leopard change his spots?

• Nipper said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

A Bochy statue with a gigantic head on it would really be a hoot.

• St said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:21 am

You’re a hoot, Nipper.

8. irishman5574 said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:28 am

I will admit that Zito is now a quality pitcher when Dennis admits Alex Smith is a quality NFL QB!.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:36 am

I’ll believe it when Zito pitches a shut out to clinch the NLDS and loses game 7 of thev NLCS 1-0 on a Mario Crawford error..

9. willieD said, on April 20, 2012 at 8:46 am

Twin, I am in no way a z apologist (or Nate), but I don’t get your take that either of them doing well is ultimately a bad thing. If Z can pitch passably well enough for the team to win a couple games, I can accept that as a good thing. I don’t see surkamp as capable of shutting out a mlb team for nine innings, at least not right now.
    Same for nate. He’s on the team, and if he’s in the LU and does OK and helps them win games, if nothing else it might bump up his trade value. Until brown crowds someone out of the picture, or someone else plays themselves to the bench and completely out of the rotation, I’m OK with nate getting starts and maybe whacking a couple out like he did in colo, or spraying the ball around and picking up XBHs like he did over the weekend. And playing a decent RF.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 9:13 am

Well, if short term success is preferable to the long term ( and I don’t mean years, I’m talking weeks), then by all means keep ’em in there. As far as Nate- I don’t particularly care if they want to give him yet another chance to prove he’s not a MLB starter as long as it’s not at Belt’s expense. As to Zito, the shutout was obviously a curiosity ( and embarrassment to the Rockies ) more than proof that he’s back. Seeing as that was the first time he’s even pitched nine innings in nine years ( his two previuos CGs here were 8 inning losses), I’d go with Surkamp bettering that. Eric is hurt now but when he’s ready, he should take the spot,the reason he won’t is because Zito bought himself ten shitty starts for two good ones. That’s why a good start is detrimental- the team will pay for it as they do every year. Was his fine start of 2010 worth it? 5-0 begat 4-14…

10. unca_chuck said, on April 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

Yeah, he pitched so bad down the stretch, they took one of his early wins away . . .

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 10:08 am

5-0 start
      plus 4-14 after
      equals 9-14, his final record.

• unca_chuck said, on April 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’m kidding, Mike. Guess i shoulda put one of these on it 😀

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

Now come on, you thought I fucked up..anyway, this song is always in season…

11. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

I’m so ABZ, I just added his ass to my Flap roster 5 minutes ago. Two things – I figure he has a half ass chance against an anemic Mets lineup; and, my pitching staff – including such past luminaries as Price, Wainwright, and Wilson – is sucking donkey dick right now. In short, I will roll the dice and hope I don’t come up snake eyes.

12. unca_chuck said, on April 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

No i didn’t . . . :p Too funny, Mike. My mom was a huge Bobby Darin fan. That is the official family song.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 11:18 am

Well, I’m glad you said something. I was about to move on to Subtraction 101…
      To clarify about Zito- of course I’d take heart in his early performance..if I had any reason to believe it might be sustainable. We do have to face that he hasn’t done a damn thing tangible to make us think he might actually be different this year. The same incomprehensible blather but no significant change. With his next unwatchable performance, he and the K Bros will break it down as if was the first time this ever happened.Here, just put this in a time capsule, Zito Speaks:
      “I’ve been harping on getting downhill on a good plane,” Zito said. “Today I was rushing my body and the arm couldn’t catch up. Downhill plane is everything. If your fastball comes out on a downhill plane and the offspeed comes out how the fastball comes out, that’s how you get guys off balance. Today, because my arm was late, the fastball was up and the other stuff was recognizable. Even a couple good curveballs got hit.”

Translation: We lost 14-2…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 11:23 am

I’d go sing “Mack the Knife” myself if we could put Barry on a plane that was going downhill. [insert here]

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 11:28 am

BTW, I watch that video every time you post it. I’m not ashamed to say that “Mack the Knife” is my karaoke song when I’ve had a few too many more than usual. Thank Christ there isn’t a YouTube video of my hatchet job — at least not yet.

13. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 10:55 am

Nicely written thread leadoff, BF. Like it a lot.
    Zito’s first two starts are very likely fools gold. We’ve seen before where he has started fairly well (for him), then the road to perdition starts and does not end. Last year, he melted from the beginning, and they had to DL him basically for the season. Hell, I hope he throws 20 shutouts in a row. I’m hoping he has a miracle, totally jaw dropping, unexpected great year. But, anyone optimistic about his chances of pulling out a decent season based on two good starts after five years of dross is a family member, or due for a 72 hour psych hold…

14. unca_chuck said, on April 20, 2012 at 11:27 am

That’s why I call Zito Bubbles. Or the boy in the bubble. “I have to trust my stuff” “Gosh, I should be more aggressive in the zone . . .” This is stuff a rookie says. Not a fucking guy with 10 years in the league. If he goes .500 and pitches 5.2 a start, then hey, the world is a beautiful place.

He HAS to pitch to contact. As scary as that is for hm. becasue when he DOES, if he’s walked 2 guys before that, bad shit happens.

I’ll believe it when it happens . . .

15. TedSpe said, on April 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

Great intro, Flav. Barry Zito Anonymous. New Yorker “Shouts and Murmers” quality

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Pagan cf, Cabrera rf, Sandoval 3b, Posey 1b, Pill lf, H Sanchez c, Burriss 2b, Crawford ss, Zito p

I’d bitch, but you guys already know this team can’t hit lefties.

• DJLoo said, on April 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Jesus Christ, the team’s probably still in the fuckin’ hotel…….how do these lineups come out so early?

• unca_chuck said, on April 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Hotel? They haven’t gotten off the plane yet.

• irishman5574 said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I don’t know what the usuall time for getting a line up out but it was almost 4:00 pm NY time when this came out, 4 hours before game time?? I am thinking what 2 hrs before game time they should be at the Stadium??

• irishman5574 said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Oops I just FU. it is a 3 hour difference, Games at 7:00 NY time, this was posted about 4:00 Their time

17. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Are they going to give Blanco a damn start this weekend?
    Two weeks in, and it’s like he’s turned into Henry Hill…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Blanco and HH eating egg noodles with ketchup like a couple of schnooks.

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Can Brett Pill play the OF? I guess we’ll find out shortly. Played 2 games in LF for Fresno last year.
    He had a total of ONE chance. At least he caught the ball.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 1:32 pm

The report on any position he’s played except first base is that he “tried to play—–” Fill in the position.

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm

If the botched run down in Colorado was any indication, a play in which he fucked up 2 times, I don’t think defense is something to look forward to with him…..

19. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I would have started Belt, not Pill, or both, and left Buster for PH duty. Belt got a great hit off a tough lefty, Bastardo, the other night. Why not show some confidence in the kid and start him. If he got a hit or two off this Niese guy, it might start him on a roll. Anyway, Niese isn’t the successor to Koufax, fer Kreissakes, is he?. Sometimes, Bochy plays this right/left matchup stuff too much. Pill was in the minors since dirt, I dunno, but I doubt he’s ever faced this guy. Just because he’s RHd, all of a sudden a career minor leaguer over supposedly your best prospect is the guy to hit Koufax?…

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm

And… I dare say Buster at first and Belt in LF is not exactly your best defensive combo when the game is likely to be low scoring, given the new Koufax on the mound…

• DJLoo said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Niese is generally considered their best starter right now. No need to have an aneurysm over it…

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Don’t say that, I haven’t yet started taking my fish oil pills…

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Plus, I’ve a history of aortic aneurysms in my family. My uncle died from one, and my father had one cut out and replaced with latex by what the surgeon said, would have blown in about 12 hours if they hadn’t caught it in time. He was 75. In 5 weeks, he was climbing up and down hills and steelheading up on the Klamath River….

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm

BZA program. That’s some funny shit. Don’t forget the Dr Bill reference. I remember some mandated AA classes after my second driving related transgression. Or was it the third….Anyway, there were some sad stories inside those walls. I always felt like a jerk for being there without the commitment. Me and a group of fellow court appointees always headed straight to the bar afterwards.

As with any debilitatiing vice AZB can only be cured through abstinence.

21. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm

BTW, Belt has a minor league career OBP of .395 against LHs. In 53 PAs in the bigs against LHs, he’s got a .415 OBP. Per Fangraphs…

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Well than shouldn’t he be starting tonight? Or does Bochy know something we don’t? Something to consider….

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Bochy is as he says; here to win games not develop players. I watched the press conference from the Wednesday game last night. One of the reporters asks about Belt coming in as the defensive replacement and ultimately getting a hit (off a LH) and then scoring and even then he can only give Belt faint praise saying something like “it’s not like he smoked the ball but it got through there.” Never miss a chance to smack the young player I guess. Must be the snappy name that bugs Bochy or something.

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I think you guys are making too much of Belt’s mental state hinging on what Bochy says about him. His strikeouts and bad swings are affecting him mentally more than anything else. Bochy may be noticing what I blogged about the other day–Belt’s body language usually says something negative. If Bochy thinks that’s whats going on then it’s like you said “he’s here to win games now, not develop players.” he’s probably doing the kid a favor by sitting him these days if he thinks he’s got the mindset of an impending 3 strikeout night

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 2:50 pm

“Or does Bochy know something we don’t?”
        Uh, does that apply only to Belt?

22. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

So now you’re going with Bochy knows best? I’ll remember that..

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

in this situation, yes, because he agrees with me. Besides, earlier today you said “smart baseball people know that Belt should be starting” (or something like that). What happened? You off Bochy’s Bus?

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm

You know that I’ve disagreed about Belt not starting. But I don’t pretend to know what’s he’s thinking. Tonight is no example of shit, going with with a RH line up makes total sense. That’s what Bochy knows right now.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I’m not concerned with Belt’s psyche I just think he offers more than Huff and double speak about putting the best players out there while keeping him on the bench is a bunch of bull. I find it odd that Bochy always has something negative or a backhanded compliment for him. Maybe keeping him on the big club was a sticking point between Bochy and Sabean. I don’t know. Bottom line is Belt just needs to hit and he’ll get in the LU. Maybe Wednesday’s hit and winning run scored will create a crack of daylight for him.

24. Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Time to stir the pot a bit.
    Fuck Zito and his new age shit (Barry, I wouldn’t have fucked Paris Hilton with Bochy’s dick). Fuck Belt that fucking cry baby, go suck on a cows teet. Huff go take that thong and shove it up your ass. Hey Sanchez, I love you dude but what about a body cast? Oh Crawford, here’s a tip for you, take one for the team (lean in a little bit more). Nate, just fuck off you slime dog. Pagan? Well, I’ll wait until his wheels fall off. Blanco, you’ve got a clown in your corner, you’re fucked! Pill welcome to the bigs, now go get me a damn doughnut. How’s that Frisbee elbow Romo? Hey Tim want a double double lard? Theriot, nice retirement plan. Hey Panda, why don’t you hook your ex up with Melky? That will stop his production. Buster, good luck tonight, now go break a leg.
    Goooo Giants.

Over the top?

• zumie said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Such an angry clown….

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Zum, one of the greatest movies ever made. It’s right up there with Killer Klowns from outer space.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I think Bochy knows all that.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Why don’t you just admit what’s really bothering you? You’re mad as hell that you’re looking up at a horse’s ass in our Flap fantasy standings. Well boo-fucking-hoo. Fuck You Bozo!

25. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I wouldn’t get too cocky about thinking Belt is going anywhere quite yet. Unless in the extremly unlikely case where they go with Posey full time at first, Belt will get more time if for other reason that unless he really takes off, the job will not be left to Huff. And certainly not to Pill.
    As to the kid’s mental state, I saw the interview after the game- he’s fine-a smart and balanced young man. Which is not to say he appreciates beinmg singled out for this
    “hole” that the organization created..

26. Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I don’t think Belt is going anywhere and as I’ve said he has a chance to be a star. I think Bochy will start giving him more consistent opportunities when Belt starts *looking* to Bochy like he’s ready for this. Not just the highs of being in major league baseball–the highs, the low, everything.

• Nipper said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Patience with young players is always good.

27. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Shoot, Dirt, I didn’t hear/see that BS statement by Bochy about Belt’s hit against Bastardot. Why not say instead that it was a gritty hit off a tough lefty? Nope. He gets faint praise instead. If Huff got that hit to start a game winning rally, Bochy would have said it was a great veteran AB. I swear, Belt may someday end up in another organization, and then just take off and tear it up. After letting it be known he was treated like he had lice, for some reason, by Giants management. I just do not get it. Something must be going on beyond trying to fix his swing “hole”. What’s next, after Belt hits a walk-off HR, Bochy grumbles that Belt should’ve hit it higher, farther?…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

It’s on the club site. There are so many other ways that could have been said. Even just a simple “yeah, that was a good job there”. Unlike most, I don’t think Bochy is as adverse to playing young players either. He just doesn’t like what he sees from Belt meanwhile seeing Huff smoke another flare to SS with RSP isn’t that amazing either.

28. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm

There is no way he would ever start if you were right in your bloganalysis of Bochy. Or if he had really refused instuction. He’s not starting regularly only because of the foolishness of playing Nate.

29. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:35 pm

It was a well hit ball against a guy who gives up hits to lefties ( .145 last year) about as often as Halley’s Comet makes an appearance here.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Not being noticed much is that Huff didn’t play against Lee and he’s not playing tonight. Even last year he hit better against LHers than RHers.

30. Nipper said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Ah the Bruce Bochy show!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm

“Cuba imports cigars from him.”

Go get me some goddamn ice. It’s hot as hell in here.

31. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I’m surprised Krukow can speak so well with Zito’s dick stuck in his mouth.
    There’s embellishment and then there’s Mike Krukow when he talks about #75. Spare me.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Gyros pay Kruk in the 7 figures. That buys a lot of suckage…

32. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Huff and Belt on the bench together for a whole game? Sneak a little extra cayenne pepper in their nachos and let them sort out who plays and who stays – – mano y mano.

33. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Two walks out of Zito’s first three hitters. I’ve seen this recipe before, and it usually tastes awful…

34. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Ragging on Hector again- hey, Eli is all the way up to .238 in Fresno and he’s a dang good framer..

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Who’s ragging on Hector?…

35. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Krukow.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Are you listening on radio ?

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Yep. I’m getting Miller. He got excited when Hector hit his knock…

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I might get excited, too, if Hector hit MY knock…

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Fuk Kruk…

36. Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Crawford scalded that ball. Twin I know you don’t like him but he didn’t hit balks like that too often last year. Lots of “baseball people” think he’s a much better hitter this year

37. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Tough luck for Crawford that AB, but it still goes down as another failed attempt w/RISP.
    Now just 4 fer their last 41 (.097). That’s been an ugly theme to start the year.

38. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm

He hit that ball well and he’s now at .191. Lots of baseball people know that will get him back to Fresno.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm

And you are incorrect, I like him fine, he just can’t hit.

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Do you think he’s the same hitter as he was last year? No adjustments? No growth?

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:06 pm

He’s shown a bit more pop but he’s down on about everything else. But I’m not judging him on just this year, it’s a trend, he hasn’t hit above “A” ball ever.

39. Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:51 pm

How great must that have felt for Pagan? I do wonder why guys have to be facing their former teams to step their game up.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Must have felt pretty good.
      Mets fans and media gave him some shit last season.
      Dang, if Pagan and Melky can get rolling, this season could get fun in a hurry…

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

The Mets were a Soap opera last yr– I didnt hold Pagan’s rep against him and it looks like he’s liking bring a Giant right now.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Craig, you’re being awfully selective on these guys. Yes, Pagan has started to hit better( and I urged that he be given more time) but this is still a lead off hitter with a sub-300 OBP, .226 BA, and 1 of those 50 stolen bases we were to look forward to.

40. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm

what was that stat that was being thrown around during 2010?
    with 3 runs of support Zito never loses?

41. Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm

That was a fucking pathetic effort by the 6-7-8 guys

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

That’s overly complimentary…

42. twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I think Crawford’s drive freaked Niese out.

43. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:06 pm

That 4th run would’ve helped, big time. We all know that with that 4th run, Zito is near invincible… 🙂

44. Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I know this sounds crazy but I’d be cool with Zito throwing even a few mph’s slower– it might give him even better control and if he can keep throwing that curve where he wants to he’ll keep guys off balance all night. Consistently.

45. Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Whoa. I think I just moved on to Step 4. Didn’t see that comin’…

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Hold on, son. Not too fast in the program. Zito hasn’t gone twice through the LU, yet…

• Flavor said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I know. But irresponsible faux positively is one of the symptoms of this disease….

46. gianthead said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Excuse me everyone, but who is this alien creature on the mound for the Giants? I have never seen him before…

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Actually, we saw this guy in 2010 when he started 5-0 and finished by losing 14 of 18..

• gianthead said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Ok, that was just a 3-1 hanger…still have not seen this Zito but at times his first year for us…

47. Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Get that run back Giants.

48. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Step 3 translated:
    “We don’t pay Zito to pitch, we pay Zito to leave”…

49. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm

You can put that Mets run on me (rip Levon)
    I picked up Bay to fill a DL slot cause I heard he had a root canal. Which, as any good baseball man knows, can straighten your swing out.
    Anyway, I checked the score, checked the bases and then spoke clearly at the telly: “single shot”

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Good job Ed. I went back and forth on Figgins and ended up with Chone because, well maybe because of multiple positions or I was drunk, not sure now,

50. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Go Zito! Go Pagan! Go Giants! Only one here all in on all three.

Give me some more of that kool aid. 🙂

51. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Someone just picked that dude up in our fantasy league. I still don’t know who the fuck he is.
    But he just went oppo off Zito.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Yash (No Talent) did.

52. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Get the Pen ready, stat…

53. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Bochy or any other manager for that matter go to the OF defensive replacement in the 5th inning.

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

No manager ever had Pill in LF.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm

And by doing so, Bochy is forced to PH Cain here in the 6th rather than Schierholtz.
      Not his best move. If he’s so concerned about Pill in LF, why start him in the first place?

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Why waste Schierholtz then with 2 outs and nobody on? He’d be wasting a position player early in a close game., either Sholz or whoever he replaced in the OF, probably Pill.
        I think that was a pretty smart move…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Schierholtz was already in the game in the 5th inning. If Bochy had waited, he could have PH Nate and made the defensive move in the 6th inning.

54. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:52 pm

jon miller voice:
    and another gutsy performance from Barry Zito . . .

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Dear Mets Announcers, including Ron Darling and Keith “Cokehead” Hernandez: STFU about Buster and his Scott Cousins. Just STFU. It was not Buster’s fault. We’ve been through this all before, you douchebags.

56. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Wow, dodged some bullets there. 5 frames, 100+ pitches.
    Trissel, trassel, tressel, trome. Time for Zito to go home…

57. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm

…his Scott Cousins collision.

58. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Bobby V gone by Memorial Day?

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I had a poll, nobody offered an opinion. Had another on Belt/Crawford. Straight forward. Lurkers wouldn’t been able to vote.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I’m sorry. I didn’t see it. Can I still vote? (Well, I guess I just did.)

• twinfan1 said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I have Bobby at the All-Star break and Belt 75 points above Crawford.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I say Crawford’s stock is rising. No evidence, of course. I’m beginning to seriously dislike the Mets’ announcers.

59. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

C’mon, Hoss! A pitcher pinch-hitting as Johnny Antonelli sometimes did.

60. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Bobby looks like he’s forgotten something in his time away

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm

There are those who say he was not in Japan by accident.

61. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Macdog and I hope to meet at Citi tomorrow. I don’t like the feel of this game. We’ve missed our chances.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Yep.
      But, Mota looked good that first inning in relief. And, this squad is better than last year’s weak offensive outfit. They might not be done yet…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I know Mota has his flaws and weaknesses, but I just love when he keeps us in games. And, as Twin pointed out last year, Mota’s reaction to Chris Stewart’s HR was one for the highlight reel.

62. Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm

WTG Mota.

63. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Ha, I just read your post more carefully, Magnus. That 5 Step parody is fabulous. You get better and better.

64. snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Why not leave in Mota?
    He was dealing that first inning…

65. Talking Giants Baseball said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Barry Zito was able to get out of his own jams nicely. In the past, the Mets would have put up a crooked number. His improved control helped him out big time, and I expect good things from old number 75.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:55 pm

He barely got out of the 5th alive.
      The other innings he did well to shut things down. It helps to give up solo homers, not multiple run dingers…

66. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm

This is the best I’ve seen JA pitch in awhile. He brought his ‘A’ game tonight. Wicked stuff and command.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Yep. Best Affleldt’s thrown since ST started. At least it sounded that way, I’m listening to the radiocast…

67. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Gotta tip your cap there. Pretty good AB by Thole. So much for the “Closer by Committee.”
    We’re missing Wilson already…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm

really, now, Dennis, you’re not saying that could not have happened w/ BW?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Very well could have. But we wouldn’t of had to use 3 different guys to find out.

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm

So bringing in a non closer in a save situation… ah, never mind.

• zumie said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm

(grin)

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Like I said the other day, when you have 3 or 4 closers, you have none.

68. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm

phuckme dot com

69. Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Well that sucked. Stop em here and get it back Giants.

70. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Pffft! So much for my Zito win in the Flap league. Thank you very fucking much Mr. Lopez.

• eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm

didn’t you add Zito too late for tonight’s game?

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:37 pm

71. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:28 pm

It has been a while, this is my first full game this season, but I got to see sanchez catching, zito pitching, the closers’ committee Belt’s defense and now the white shark

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:33 pm

The white shark was more like a white flounder there ed.

72. Bozo said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:34 pm

73. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm

And the Mets bring in their closer in a NON-save situation and Francisco gives up the go ahead run.
    “I Spit on Your Grave.”

74. Alleykat said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

How about that Senor Sanchez…Mu Buenos.

75. eddacker said, on April 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm

bozo, could not help myself as the ball left the bat of Hector: YES! I yelled, then felt guilty as it is 3:30am and I live in an apartment.
    hehe