A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

I Predict We Win Both of these Games Today :)

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 23, 2012

On paper, we look good to go today. Lincecum/Bumgarner vs Bautista/Gee? Please. Bring it. But actually I see big problems if we get these games in today. First of all, nothing on paper ever works out. We could easily lose both these games today. Secondly, the 2nd game doesn’t start till 7:10 EST. So they’re going to play baseball all day and into the night (and you KNOW one of these games is going to go extras) and then hop a plane at 1am to Cincinnati where they get to sleep for a few hours before having to go play in that launching pad against a stacked Reds line up. At least Zito isn’t going till Wednesday. Can you imagine having to count on his to save the bullpen arms in Tuesday’s game?

Bottom line: If these games get played today, it is critical for Timmy and MadBum to pitch deep, DEEP into them. Otherwise, this will torch off a bullpen inferno that could take a week to douse….

Speaking of Zito, did anyone notice the wheels start to come off in his last start? He got lucky by not having anyone on base when he gave up those two dongs. He walked more than he struck out and he was gone after 5. On the other side of the bay, the A’s have Bartolo Colon turning back the clock, throwing nothing but strikes, and he’s sitting on a 3-1 record with a 2.63 ERA. Of course, his arm could fall off, literally, at any moment. Here’s my question of the day for you guys. Who would you rather have on a 1 year deal in 2012: Colon or Zito? Assume they make the same amount of $$$ for the year.

1. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Thanks Twin…likewise…

2. Bozo said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Hey kat, if you don’t mind I might hold off on my drink.

• chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Screw that…make mine a double!

• Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Got you covered Chi…DOUBLE Martini. SHAKEN NOT STIRRED!!!!

• Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Hey Bozo..Fuck You!!! (Grin had to give you a Dennis moment) Just cleaning the blender and my shaker out since your drink is on hold.

3. paulinasia said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Morning/evening, gents. I gave 4 reasons at 7:51 why I was hoping they’d get these two games in. One I forgot to add was being done with having to go there again for a make-up. Nice to be done with having to go there. They’ll be tired getting to Cincy but they’ll be happy come July 2nd. And, two nice wins in the bag. As for Huff, probably right that it won’t happen anytime soon, but if one reason why it wouldn’t happen is Bochy not being sold on Belt, as I and others here mentioned before, with the emergence of Hector as a viable player, not just for the occasional spot starts that Eli got, that might give Bochy more comfort with Belt being the main guy able to be spotted more by Posey. Hector changes everything. Rationally I agree Huff might be here awhile yet, but this team has recently shown some cojones, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see them arrange a minor trade very soon.

4. zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Ump blows the call in the Giants favor there.

5. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Now there’s an ump ready to hit the bar…

6. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

‘Bout time…let’s close this bad boy out and head to Cincy…

7. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Let me know what bar that ump is heading to…I’ll gladly buy him a drink!

8. zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I think, technically, isn’t a batter supposed to get tossed if he slams the bat down? Or maybe that’s only the helmet. The ump felt sorry for Davis, as if- “yeah, dude, I know….lousy call.”

• zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:46 pm

And the baseball gods decreed: “There had to be justice for the Ishi call at homeplate.”

• chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I dunno…I thought it was a great call…

9. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:46 pm

In a little while I’ll let you know what I think of Bochy pulling Hensley 😉

• Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Twin…Damn 6 hits for Nate in the Doubleheader has to have you cringing some.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Why? You must have me confused with someone else. I want everyone to play well. Anyway, you figure that settles it? I’d think it would make YOU cringe. Often that turns out to be a week’s production.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:06 pm

When he was playing at the expense of Belt, it was shortsighted to play him, regardless of his production. Now that it appears that Huff has played his way out the picture, there’s room to play Nate until/if he flops again (without blocking Belt.)

10. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Yeah, I think the umps are ready to call it a day. 7 hours of balls & strikes will do that to you . . .

11. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Hell yes! Another series win! After that hellacious start in Zona, the boys in Orange and Black are playing some good ball. 9-7…3 games back of the Bums. Let’s Go Giants!

12. manny said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Good day to be a Giants fan, now on to Cincy.

13. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Pour me that double martini, Kat!

14. Macdog said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Sweeeeeeep!

15. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Well fellas…been fighting a hellacious virus…going to watch a bit of post-game and call it a night. It’s been fun. GO GIANTS!

• Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I’ll hold that Double Martini for ya when you feel better Chi, take care of that damn virus first!

16. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I was openly not a Burriss guy, but this series changed my view. He’s been very good in the field and at the plate. I like him. I cannot see them putting him on the bench for Glasschez. Crawford and Burriss are a nifty tandem, but can an NL team keep a weak hitter like Crawdad? Anyway, nice sweep! The dark lining within the silver cloud? Javier Lopez performing poorly, not doing great w/ runners on 3B with less than 2 outs, and timmy’s not-very-commanding outing. But a good DH. On to Cincy. G’night.

17. mrmrbill said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Huff … family emergency…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:24 pm

yeah, Huff texted Bochy to say he is leaving the team for personal reasons, or so it was said on Twitter. Good night, ladies.

18. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Henry tweets (the Posey thing has been brougnt up here, by me and I’m sure others, not that it’s a good idea.)
    “Bochy said Nate will continue to play. Also said if no first baseman gets hot, he could put Posey there more, the way Sanchez is hitting.”

• paulinasia said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Agree, as echoed by my 7:34 above, that truly Hector does change everything.

• Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Well, I don’t speak *Bochy* but none of that tweet surprises me. As I’ve said, I think they’ll turn to Belt now to play first base. There is ZERO room right now in the outfield for Belt or Huff. Huff has failed at every conceivable parameter this year. Belt has been bad but he has upside. I will say this one final time regarding Belt: You put up or shut up at this level. If you’re starting, if you’re pinch hitting, if you’re inserted for defense, every single moment is an opportunity. By my account, Bochy’s account, all the radio/tv guy’s account and countless other counts (not counting the countless brain dead bloggers who just want to play Belt because he’s young with skills) Belt has not stepped up and produced enough during his *opportunities*.And he’s a first baseman, he can’t fiddle around with singles and walks all day long.
      If his time is now then do something you haven’t done yet, son: produce………

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:44 pm

deleted by Flavor. Do Not post anything like this again.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:07 pm

deleted by Flavor……..

19. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

p.s. It ain’t TRUMAN BEATS DEWEY but the hed for this post missed, didn’t it? Gladly.

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:27 pm

oooops! make that DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN

21. Macdog said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I really enjoyed yesterday’s Paul and Pawlie posts on the Mets and Yanks, and I’m sure they’ll agree, it doesn’t get much better than sweeping a DH from the Mets to take 3 of 4. And for added entertainment, I got to listen to a running commentary from a couple disgruntled Mets fans at work during Game 1. A sample:

“The only time the goddamn Giants score any runs is against the Mets.”

“Eight strikeouts in five innings, what makes this guy so fucking special?”

“How the hell do you strike out against someone who looks like a girl?”

“Brandon Crawford can’t hit the broad side of a fucking barn and he gets a double.”

At least the last one wasn’t too far off. And those were some of the cleaner ones.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm

gold-plated and very shiny

• Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:46 pm

classic, love it. Glad you and Kokonuts got to hook up. I’m assuming I don’t owe anyone $50 since there are no recorded pictures of DjLoo? I mean, outside of the Rikkers Island snapshots? I fucking love Loo and will someday meet him in person unless he makes it his life’s purpose to elude me. 🙂
      Mac, I hope you had fun with Pawlie, he’s a fantastic person. If you ever get out to the best coast I hope you sound off the sirens, I’d love to meet you……

• Macdog said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Sorry for the delay, had to catch up with today’s highlights. I missed that first play by Burriss, man, he’s looking good. My time with Pawlie was all too brief. I would’ve loved to have watched part of the game with him or even just hang out afterward, but it didn’t happen. I am hoping to meet up with PK when I make a trip up to Syracuse this summer. Hey Pawlie, maybe the Phils in July? As for SF, I’m working on it. I got a friend in the airline biz (he was at Saturday’s game, too) who can fly me out there at a reasonable price, so hopefully this’ll be the year. 14 years since my last Giants home game is way too long.

22. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm

When Bochy was saying the back up catcher’s job was between Whitey and Stewart, it was taken as gospel. As I’ve said often- manager’s change their minds- in this case, for the better. My nominations for early pleasant surprises;
    Burriss
    Nate
    HSanchez

Hensley
    Buster’s early return to hitting form

• paulinasia said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Hector and Burriss, absolutely, and yeah, I was thinking it might take Buster awhile to get back into the swing of things… huge that he’s performing.

• Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I would put Pill in that category. as well Twin.I feel at times I’m the only flapper really believing. in this guy. Pill is hitting. 353 now and hitting the ball hard.I liked that Bochy started Pill, probably cause Huff wasn’t available, in the 2nd game against a RH pitcher as well and had 2 hits.
      He will be in the mix atleast a platoon with Belt or some LF. Man it’s tough being Bruce right now in a good way when guys are hitting and Hector pushing for time as well.

23. paulinasia said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Hey Mac, you gave me a good idea: The Paul and Pawlie Show, like, those car guys…. I’ve lost my Joisey accent over the years, not sure if Pawlie still has his, but after a couple of beers, mine could return if it would make the program more interesting…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Tawk to my agent hahahahahahha.

Hey, one last thing, as Steve Jobs was famous for saying: Honestly, I’d hate to see Huff’s stay in SF end ingloriously. I truly hope his last play was not Saturday’s. I just would not like to see that sort of epilogue. I mean that. I know you can’t undo that play, but give him another at-bat, a play in the OF, something, as Bochy did for Burrell. Something.

24. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm

The Giants’ knew Matt Williams was going to be a major power hitter, so they gave him numerous chances to stick. They hung with him for 245 AB in his first year despite a .188 BA .240 OBP .578 OPS. He had only marginal improvement the next two years. By the standards Craig applies, Matt would never have been given even that much of a chance, he would never have become a regular for the Giants. There many similar situations-Freeman, Pedroia, Mike Schmidt.. when you have what they’ve claimed to have in Belt- you clear out anybody blocking him and PLAY

him. I’m not suggesting they should give Belt nearly 700 AB, as Williams got. Mainly because he won’t need it.

• Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:12 pm

not deleted by Flavor.

25. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:16 pm

deleted by flavor.

26. Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Sorry guys, shutting the blog down tonight. Talk to you tomorrow.

• Nipper said, on April 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm

sniff……

27. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Most of us here want Belt to play, and have wanted him to play from the get go because he is the best option there. There is not, as Craig infers, a consensus among “baseball people” that he shouldn’t. If anything the opposite is true.