A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

I Predict We Win Both of these Games Today :)

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 23, 2012

On paper, we look good to go today. Lincecum/Bumgarner vs Bautista/Gee? Please. Bring it. But actually I see big problems if we get these games in today. First of all, nothing on paper ever works out. We could easily lose both these games today. Secondly, the 2nd game doesn’t start till 7:10 EST. So they’re going to play baseball all day and into the night (and you KNOW one of these games is going to go extras) and then hop a plane at 1am to Cincinnati where they get to sleep for a few hours before having to go play in that launching pad against a stacked Reds line up. At least Zito isn’t going till Wednesday. Can you imagine having to count on his to save the bullpen arms in Tuesday’s game?

Bottom line: If these games get played today, it is critical for Timmy and MadBum to pitch deep, DEEP into them. Otherwise, this will torch off a bullpen inferno that could take a week to douse….

Speaking of Zito, did anyone notice the wheels start to come off in his last start? He got lucky by not having anyone on base when he gave up those two dongs. He walked more than he struck out and he was gone after 5. On the other side of the bay, the A’s have Bartolo Colon turning back the clock, throwing nothing but strikes, and he’s sitting on a 3-1 record with a 2.63 ERA. Of course, his arm could fall off, literally, at any moment. Here’s my question of the day for you guys. Who would you rather have on a 1 year deal in 2012: Colon or Zito? Assume they make the same amount of $$$ for the year.

1. willieD said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:23 am

colon got lit up by the M’s over in Japan, 4 IP 10 hits 7 earned. didn’t he get off to decent start and then completely fall apart last year? Yanks SPs were an issue all year as I remember–including post season rotation.
    A guy like colon, if he lasted all year, could lose 20 for the A’s.
    I watched the Reds/Cubs yesterday, and both teams are fuck ups, with repeated errors and dumb plays. Twice in the same inning the reds bunted and the cubs screwed the play up, with Soto getting charged with two errors. Cueto flat out dropped two comebackers in a row (he also hit two guys and committed a balk), and Votto whiffed on a pick off attempt and the ball went off his glove. Cubs announcers, one of whom is Brenly, commented on how many errors there were by both teams in the series.
    They also start ryan ludwick in LF, and there was a stat put up about how the only place he’s every hit well is in STL. Weren’t we going through shit last year about how the reds were going to destroy our pitcing staff back there–and instead we pounded theirs?

2. Bozo said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:28 am

Flav, I just can’t answer that survey. Both answers scare me into thinking, be careful of what you wish for. Now if you added a C) Hey how is Randy Johnson enjoying that retirement anyway? I would have voted for that.

So I see down Fresno way we’ve got Conor Gillaspie playing first and Todd Linden in the OF. Wait, what? Todd Linden in the OF? No wonder Blanco got a long look in ST.

• Nipper said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:15 am

Linden looks damn good in that uni!

3. willieD said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:36 am

completely off topic, but seeing the name colon reminds me that the 28th april is b-day to one of the great heroes of salsa music, trombonist willie colon. I cannot watch marc anthony/j-lo movie “El Cantante” about the singer hector lavoe, but his original music with colon was a big part of the NY salsa movement led by Fania records/Fania all stars late 60s/early 70s. “llegarron pa gozar”, indeed.
    As to belt, I wonder if the baseball gods are pissed SF is dicking him around–Huff fucks up at 2b after screwing up a routine grounder at 1b, Pill with consecutive ground outs with guy on 3b, while Belt gets the windblown rbi double.
    As lavoe/colon put it in the hit, “Rompe Saraguey”, a song about cleansing yourself before santeria rite:
    con los santos no se juega.

4. gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:37 am

Linden is still alive??? I saw him crush an extra-inning home run in Pittsburgh just to see it go to waste with Benitez pitching in the bottom of that extra-inning and Linden made one of the greatest catches I have ever seen in left field against the nationals at RFK on the same road trip…but those were basically his only two careeer highlights.

Unfortunately with the rain out, it is hard to sweep a double-header. We should be happy to get a split here and hopefeully we win the first one and get Timmy off the snide (or is it schneid??)…any reports on Theriot? Assume it was just the flu, but if we ever have to see Huff going out to play second base…

• Nipper said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:15 am

Perhaps it was greasy spoon disease….

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

I think Huff at second has been taken care of. I’m going to keep saying this, though- Burriss was not supposed to consider doing anyrhing but throwing to first. Huff’s bonehead move should not have been anything more than a humorous side bar. That’s according to Bochy;
      “We were hoping to just go to first. We didn’t pick it up soon enough, but still, I thought [Turner] was out. That’s what I was arguing. I haven’t seen [the replay], but if you get him, you get him. He’s out.”

5. paulinasia said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:51 am

Agree, Craig, could be troublesome if played because they’d be tired and possibly spent going into Cinncy. But I also hope the games are played, for a few reasons: 1) The team possibly still has a sour taste in its collective mouth from that loss the other night. Get out there and wash it out. 2) Lincecum needs to get out there too, I think he’s been sitting on anxiousness and needs to air it out good. 3) Cool, a doubleheader, this team is still learning about itself, get a two-fer, builds character. Just ask Ernie Banks. And 4) discussions on the Flap tend to veer into twilight zone places sometimes when there are no games…

• Nipper said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

No games mean fights on the Flap with Twin in the middle with both barrels smoking!

6. Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:52 am

Kruk just skewered Huff for the bonehead 2nd base non play. I have never heard him go off on a player like that before

7. gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:02 am

I did not get to comment on Flav’s interesting post about the incipient lack of offense this season across the league (our increased offensive production is therefore running counter to the league-wide drop-off offensively) and then the Humber perfect game was noted as being one of 4 I think in the last three seasons, while Randy Johnson had one with AZ and then Cone threw one late 90s.

So is it a coincidence that during the height of the steroid era, there were just two perfect games thrown, but four in the last two calendar years? I always argued that steroids did not make a hitter better, i.e. better vision, hand-eye coordination, etc, just stronger and allowed them to recover more quickly from nagging day-to-day wear and tear. But is that correct?

There are two unarguable facts: there is less offense across baseball and the statistically unthinkable occurence of 4 perfect games in 3 seasons. Does this signify a rise in pitching dominance (therefore the Giants brain trust investing in Cain and Bum is a brilliant tactical step) or the post-effects of the steroid era? Or has the manipulators in mlb screwed around with the baseball once again, making the game more pitcher-friendly? Is this the new dead-ball era?

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:25 am

It’s not like it’s all of sudden this season, it’s been going down steadily . I gave some numbers yersteday.

• gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

I’ll go back and look at your posts, but I also did not mean to imply it was just specific to this season, you are definitely right about it trending downward, but what is your theory on the reasons?

8. paulinasia said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:08 am

Maybe Kruk’s rant means he knows something…

9. Nipper said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:14 am

Fork Huff!

10. DJLoo said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:23 am

Definitely want to play these two today. SF type weather. Gotta fatten up on these chumps…
    Huff needs to vanish most ricky-tick……and take flu-boy Theriot with him.

• Nipper said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:28 am

Loo demands it forthwith!

11. Bozo said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:30 am

I know this won’t happen but what about a straight up trade with the Brewers for Ishi (well, I guess we would have to eat some $s). Even if Ishi is just used a PH/late inning switch (pretty good PH if I recall) that wouldn’t be so bad. If they had to play him in LF evry now and then, I don’t think he’d be that bad. At least he wouldn’t look like a lumberjack out there.

12. irishman5574 said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:40 am

Yeah, I heard the Kruk rant too, calling out Huff that from Little League on you are taught what are you going to do when the ball is hit. So when Huff says he was going on instinct to move to first base was just BS. As far as todays double header. IMO that is a good thing. It goes back to Old baseball verses today baseball. Supposedly players today are better trained, bigger physically, and in better shape?? well some anyway. And yet the double header went away. to be replaced by babying players, having a DH so that over the hill player can still come out and hit, and interleague play!! So yeah, lets see what this team is made out of, play the double header!

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:03 am

It should have been moot. Bochy did not want them to throw to second base. Burriss was only supposed to get the out at first. And from where he was playing Huff probably wouldn’t even beat the runner to the bag. That doesn’t excuse the brain fart but it shouldn’t have mattered.

13. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:56 am

Our pen is almost never overworked, mostly because the starters generally go deep and also because Bochy knows how to handle a pen- almost as well as we do. This year they’ve pitched 35 innings so far, only Philly relievers have pitched fewer in the NL..
    Linden has played 10 games at first, 3 in the OF, 2 as a DH
    GHillaspie has played 8 at third , 8 at first

Neither is being groomed as our first baseman of the future πŸ˜‰
    Probably the only players we’re likely to see anytime soon from Fresno are one or two of the middle infielders ( Arias, Noonan, Culberson), and possibly Kieschnick if Huff is released. That’s my guess, anyway. I suppse if the really did get taxed they could send Pill down and bring up a reliever, most likely not Hembree. More like Edlefsen, Kontos, or Machi. Someone they can bounce around. But I wouldn’t expect that. If they bring up a starter for Friday, Hacker has been sharp and he pitched yesterday so he’d be right on schedule.

14. willieD said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:09 am

as for colon and throwing strikes, he isn’t exactly cliff lee or cain. Last two seasons teams hit .280 and .320 off the guy…maybe for the Yanks that can be overcome, but not the A’s. You are also going to have to be pretty good defensively (again unlike the A’s), since he isn’t fooling too many hitters.
    Until surkamp regains full health and is able to throw 100 pitches and go 5-6…Another ad for SF over every other team in a DH with other games to follow is pitching depth out of the pen. Phils bloggers were ragging on bochy for using 3 guys (casilla lopez romo) in one inning in the cain/lee game, but at that point he still had mota and hensley available. Affeldt is another guy who can go an inning or two if necessary.
    i’d like to know what NY guys think about moving the fences in there, what affect it’s had if any.

• DJLoo said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:27 am

Plenty, Willie……it’s very noticeable and I bet it’s psychologically huge for the hitters. Although I have no stats to back that up.

It’s overcast, windy and chillier than they said it would be today…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:31 am

I experience the same weather conditions when we bring in our closer in a NON-save situation.

Pagan CF, Cabrera LF, Sandoval 3B, Posey C, Schierholtz RF, Belt 1B, Burriss 2B, Crawford SS, (Lincecum P)

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:35 am

And when that happens they deserve to lose and it will be impossible to catch the Dodgers..

15. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:29 am

Shit, Timmy just needs a clean 1st inning, and I think all will go well after that.

As far as Huff goes, what the hell happened? I haven’t seen replays of what Huff did, although I did see Posey get hook-slid into his right ankle on the play.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:43 am

Huff broke to first base on a grounder to Burriss, not second. Burriss looked toward second, when no one was there, he sort of double clutched and his throw to first didn’t get the runner according to the umpire. It was a bonehead play by Huff that shouldn’t ave mattered because Bochy wanted them to just go to first. Manny’s hesition in going to first was just as responsible as Huff’s break the wrong way. Happy 66th, BTW. We need to talk- old guy stuff.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:45 am

it was mystifying when it happened; I guess there was a bobble. The whole inning and a half were voodoo, as Macdog said — in different words. I imagine the picture came out, Dawg; will check.

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 10:22 am

Huh?

Thanks for the info, but

a) My birthday’s Wednesday, and

b) I’m 51 . . .

c) How the hell do you know it’s my brithday?

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 10:28 am

I believe Blade broke the joyous news based on a Facebook announcement trumpeting your 66th birthday. And so it is. Look at it this way- you look real good for your age, codger.

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:45 am

Hey, it’s Mr. Upcoming Birthday Boy . . . Happy 66th:-)

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 10:24 am

Not going to make it that easy for you Mr. Birthday boy . . . Go through yesterday’s thread. You were the big item for discussion. By the by, what denture cream are you using? πŸ™‚

• chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm

66?!? WTF…I thought I was OLD…

16. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:43 am

Chilly? Snow on the car this morning. Exhausted from 600 or so miles of driving this weekend. Yesterday was fun here, and I don’t say that to be self-serving. The Buzzsaw Rodriquez and P.I.A. and other stories were great, and, no, DJL, I was not at Marichal’s legal 16-inn CG shutout, that I can recall. Happy 66th, Chuck. And superb take on Huff, Magnus.

• DJLoo said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:57 am

Sorry i missed you here, PK. (BTW Marichal’s 16-hit CG was not a shutout). Wouldn’t want you to get in a barroom brawl over that….

17. eddacker said, on April 23, 2012 at 10:09 am

It is not Chucks B-Day, it is the niner’s

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’m going with it’s Chuck’s, fuck the facts. Or rather, those are the new facts. On April 25, 2012, Chuck turns 66 years old.

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 10:25 am

Agreed Twin. He has someone else’s pic up there on his profile. Maybe his nephew.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

Or grandson..on the other hand, I did tell him he does look pretty good for an old fart.

18. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

Ahhhhh. I get it. Guess I have to go back and read what you little scamps were saying about me . . .

Duh. The 25th IS my b-day. I forgot how I set that stupid Niner facebook page up (that I don’t beother messing with anyway).

19. zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

OK- I’ve asked some dumb questions here before- here’s another one….what time does the first game start today? I’m way out of the loop on this.

• gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

4:10 I believe east coast time

20. eddacker said, on April 23, 2012 at 11:49 am

That makes ua our senior member.
    hehe, I said member

21. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Yes, April 25th, 1946 is the unofficial birthday of the San Francisco 49ers.

And yes, it happens to be my birthDAY, not year. That would be 1961. . . .

As far as girls go, Flav, we tried to keep them as much involved in sports as we could through middle school and HS. Less time for getting into boy trouble. One was a good golfer, the other, tennis.

When they go to college though, all bets are off. Although, so far so good. Nothing majorly bad has happened.

• gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm

it is my wife’s birthday tomorrow:)

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm

isn’t today SS Willie Shakespeare’s birthday?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:05 pm

actually, I just Tweeted he was a catcher
      Caught in the Web of Words
      one of my all-time fave book titles — about the guy who initiated and shepherded the massive Oxford English Dictionary (OED)

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Indeed it is. It is also “Talk Like Shakespeare Day” as mandated by Chicago’s Shakespeare Theater.
      Fear thee not! I shall spare thee.

23. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Wow, dig the turnout for the game today. Reminds me of 1983 at the Stick . . .

24. eddacker said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I listened to the current head of the OED on radio a few days ago. They questioned him about certain words appearing and there by gaining status as words. He answered that the OED is not a book, it is a report. The OED’s mission is to report word usage by the groups being reported on (in this case English language speakers). For the rest of the interview he kept using ‘report’ when referring to the OED.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm

and he is right…since Webster’s II, debates have raged on “descriptive” vs. “prescriptive” — w/ the emphasis these days squarely on the former

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Irregardless, I disagree.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm

doh!

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm

No such word (irregardless) Dirt. Ask Prof. Pawlie. πŸ™‚

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 23, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Blade. I know. Haha

25. gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm

15 game htting streak?

26. gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm

This is the book I read that I would highly recommend:

The Professor and the Madman, masterfully researched and eloquently written, is an extraordinary tale of madness, genius, and the incredible obsessions of two remarkable men that led to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary — and literary history. The compilation of the OED began in 1857, it was one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. As definitions were collected, the overseeing committee, led by Professor James Murray, discovered that one man, Dr. W. C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand. When the committee insisted on honoring him, a shocking truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:34 pm

yes, I must read, since I read the earlier book on Murray

• gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm

and I will have to read your suggestion…but I am so far behind on my reading:( Trying to get through the third book of the Game of Thorns series…love the whoel thing so far…

27. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Panda! Buster!

28. gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Mets announcers stated that Thole as now allowed 10 of 11 baserunners to steal…so run, run, run…

29. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Come on, Timmy. Get a clean 1st here.

30. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm

And Keith H. and other Mets announcer talking about Timmy, saying his speed seems better as well as his mechanics. WHAT A PLAY BY BURRIS AND BELT. Honestly.

31. irishman5574 said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Nice way for the Giants to start this game. offense wise and Timmy pitching well.

My birthday was at the beginning of the month. a young 57. 1955 what a great year, the happiest place on earth opened. Rock and Roll was just starting up, and a 1955 Chevy!! what a car.

32. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm

All right, Mets guys, enough already on the “Huff at 2B Incident.” We’ve covered it ad nauseam. Even to the point that Burriss could’ve just thrown to first if he had not bobbled it. On to the next topic. The Giants should handily beat this pitcher. C’mon!

33. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Of Note: Glasschez is the DH for the SJ Giants today . . .

• Bozo said, on April 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Sometimes I wonder if my Glasschez is half full or half empty?

34. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Not a good pitch, Timmy . ..

35. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 1:54 pm

He could have 10 CYs and there’s still no excuse for that pitch. And no, Mikey, it’s not on Bochy. Must be Hector. Uh no, Buster is catching. Damn, nobody to blame.

36. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 23, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Schierholtz leads the club in HRs. We’re in trouble.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Sure we are.

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Still waiting for the Giants to blow the 2010 season, Skippy?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 23, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Just like you waiting for your wife to blow you on your birthday — it’s not gonna happen.

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Better than greasing up the cat, skippy.

37. eddacker said, on April 23, 2012 at 2:44 pm

seems Seabiscuit is using his fastball more tonight

38. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Well, he’s giving a prototypical Dirtty Sanchez start..

39. Bozo said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Sweet, on both ends of it!

40. irishman5574 said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Anyone watching the game, why are they pulling Tim in the 6th??

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Because he was running on fumes Kev.

• irishman5574 said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Thanks, I am using ESPN box score, no commentary!! ha ha, thats why I use this blog, someone will know!!
        Thanks Blade

• mrmrbill said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm

108 pitches getting through 5 … not sure where’s Tim’s at, yet this season. Hope he gets back from vacation soon.

41. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Nice, how Crawford let the ball hit the top of his fingers and then roll into his palm (grip).

• eddacker said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm

razzel dazzel and a nice DP

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Crawford made a nice play on that, Manny’s was great.

42. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Timmy struggled with control and was up to 108 through 5, Irish.

He pitched like Drrrty.

• unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Ahhh, didn’t see yer eaerlier post, Twin . . .

43. unca_chuck said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Or about 5 of those other ones . . .

F5 motherfucker. . .

• eddacker said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

that’s a refreshing thought

44. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 3:42 pm

In my opinion, Tim has put to rest – for the time being – that velocity is not his problem. All his pitches still work, as indicated by the 24 SOs in 19.2 innings pitched (8 SOs today). His control, as mentioned by a few people here already, still sucks (5 walks). Prior to this game, his BAA was .342 (career BAA of .225). In short, a bit more work to do, but he definitely showed signs of coming out of his funk.

45. Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm

There gonna SWEEP this Double Header!! METS SUCK Almost as much as Huff!!!

46. manny said, on April 23, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Burriss had been impressing me so far this year. I would love to see the guy become a everyday player for the next few years. He has speed, has a high OBP, and has been playing well in the field. I know he never will have a high SLG percentage, but I just like the young guy. If he could maintain what he is doing let Panik battle it out with Crawford for the SS position.

• Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I totally agree with you.

47. Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Ike Davis? Ouch. He went 0-4 and left 8 guys on base today. Bating average now sits at a crisp .138. Valley Fever is a bitch, I guess…….

48. irishman5574 said, on April 23, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Giants circle May 11 (at Arizona) for Freddy Sanchez’s debut

• Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I’d put the odds at about 10-1 that he never plays a single game for us this yr….
      You know, it really is too bad that Freddy can’t just be a PH this year and maybe an emergency infielder. If we used him that way he might actually be of use to us for the rest of the season. As it stands, he’s going to come back and tumble himself back on to the DL and, likely, retirement……..

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I have the next two Sundays on the schedule of games (Brew crew and Friars) I am going to see, coupled with a Marlin game on the 2nd. I may add a San Jose Giants game to see Glass play his last game (grin).

• zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 4:58 pm

My first “at the ballpark” Giants game will be the May 3rd Marlins game.

• zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:02 pm

First one this season, I meant. (grin)

49. irishman5574 said, on April 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm

From Baggs on Comcast:
    Nate Schierholtz isn’t on the official All-Star ballot (Aubrey Huff is among the choices listed in the outfield), but he’s bound to earn his share of write-in votes.

Schierholtz hit a three-run home run in the third inning as part of a three-hit night in which he finished a double short of the cycle.

• zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

The Cult of Nate getting All-Star votes?! Who’da thunk it.

50. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Interesting that Pill gets the start this evening against Gee (a right hander). That certainly would discombobulate Bochy’s 1st base decision, if he takes advantage of his opportunity.

• zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Bochy told Huff to ‘grab some pine today, Meat.’

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Where upon, Huff thought he meant pine tar for his bat and Bochy said, “No meat, the type you sit on.”

51. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Damn, I can’t imagine where we would be without Sandoval. Way to go Panda!

52. zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Pablo told that ball to ‘grab some upper deck, Meat.’

53. gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I turn to my 6 year old and say, “Watch Pablo hit a home run here….”. He thinks I am genius or an evil wizard…

Fucking crushed that one..

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Good on GH.

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm

*one

• zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm

What a great sound. Is there a greater sound in sports than a gigantic homerun being crushed?

• gianthead said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm

The boy went nuts when that went out…ran around the house looking for older brother to tell him…

54. Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Matt Kemp is having an otherworldly season and could easily win the MVP this year. But Pablo, as I said before the season started, will be heard from this year when that award gets voted on……..

• zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Pretty cool triple-header of baseball today, counting the Braves/Dodgers game later tonight.

55. Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Burriss is a different hitter this year. He’s a legit major league 2nd baseman right now. It’s fantastic. He’s going to have a nice year despite the disruption from Glass should he beat my 10-1 odds and make it back for a few games…….

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm

You’d have better odds to see him at Class A San Jose during his rehab.

• Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm

He won’t last. At best, he might be able to platoon a bit with Burriss. But as I’ve said, his best value would be as a PH.
        Nice snot rocket by Bum there. How mUch of that shit does he produce a day? A cup? 2 cups?

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Although it seems like Burriss has been with the team since the early 2000s, the dude is only 27 years old.

56. Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Bochy is sending the message with this no start for Huff in either game. And as I said this morning, I’ve never heard Kruk go off on a player like I heard this morning. And you know that Kruk and Bochy talk. Kruk doesn’t ruffle the vet feathers unless he knows the brass is just about done with him…

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Yeah, that might be circumstantial evidence, but it’s a good point when you consider the K & K boys rarely criticize the team that lines their pockets.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I didn’t hear it, did he include the details of the play that unfolded, that Manny wasn’t supppose to throw to second anyway? I don’t even care if his periodic rants are right anymore- because his trashing of many young players is so wrong.
        I wouldn’t read much into Pill starting. He’s one of the candidates to go down if/when Fruckie returns and he needs at at bats. Also, I’d hope they forget Buster playing first, Pill can get the AB’s against left handers.

57. Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Now that Bum can legally drink does he ask the bartender for a Snot or a Shot?

58. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm

First time I have seen Torres latest injury on video. Seemed like he was running at half speed.

• Flavor said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm

He had a leg problem all Spring, he was probably trying to protect it

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:13 pm

He was running half speed because he hurt it again on that play.

59. blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm

HAHAHA . . . Chipower makes his annual appearance.

60. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Now that Bum can legally drink…and afford about as many high-end cocktails that he wants…

Timmy looked rough in the opener…and I agree with Blade…his issue is not velocity. 8Ks was good, but too many BBs.

Giants “cruising” in the nightcap…Hell yes! Let’s Go Giants!

61. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Annual my ass…I get on here at least once a quarter. πŸ˜‰

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Chi, did you catch my post about the games I am going to? No idea what your schedule is, but I have a free ticket for the May 2nd game . . . First dibs is Flavster. Night game and I know that is a long haul for you from the Sac area. Give me a shout if you are interested and he turns it down.

• chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I did see you post on the games. Thanks for the offer…but I am doing Air Force duty that day/weekend. Hector goes YARD!

Enjoy the games! My daughter and I went to Opening Day…34 in a row for me, now. Hurt to see Cainer lose the perfect game…but it was one of the better home openers in a long time.

62. Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Torres like Glass is pretty much done.His really only asset is his speed and he always has hamstring problems or calf injury. issues. Even their manager has said “with Andres it’s all about his legs being healthy to help us.Just hope the Met fans don’t roast him.He deserves better.
    Trade looking one-sided to me..Advantage Giants!!!!

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Agree, especially with the part about him deserving a better fate.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:20 pm

It doesn’t look real good for Torres but I wouldn’t write him off yet.

63. manny said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Mets announcers busting on Huff, said one reason Giants probably have all the errors is Huff.

• blade3colorado said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I get your drift Manny, but that doesn’t explain Pagan dropping an easy popup in center field a week and a half ago. πŸ™‚

64. James said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Mrs. James no longer trusts my estimation of Nate, if she ever did. She’s pretty vocal about it now. I told her to take it to the Flap.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm

It seems that if a person is a cult member a stretch like he’s having now is good for the rest of the year.

• zumie said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:31 pm

The ladies like Nate. It’s the GQ stubble that does it.

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I won’t post it again because it upsets some people, but it’s also the remarkable similarity to man from a previous time. What gal doesn’t love a guy who will bring the whole cow home?

• twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm

And he has all the tools-the stone hoe, the rock…

• Bozo said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm

And the club (at least tonight).

65. manny said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Hammering Hector Sanchez, put a charge in that one.

66. Bozo said, on April 23, 2012 at 6:57 pm

that ball got out in a hurry.

67. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Glad to see Burriss playing some decent ball..he is a kid I have always rooted for…nice DP by him and The Professor in the first game…

68. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Earlier post on Huff…I have to agree…may be time to cut him loose. If that happens and Arias comes up, it probably won’t for long…Sanchez will be activated soon if all pans-out with his re-hab. I hope like hell he does well and is healthy…we need that RH stick in the line-up…not to mention someone to spot Huff at 2B.

69. Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Senor Sanchez .. LASER SHOT HR!!!! Not to shabby at all with his 7RBI’s in 24 Lab’s.Congratulations. on your 1st Bigin league Homer Hector!
    Sure feel great about about my 4:13 prediction of The Giant Sweep! DRINKS ARE ON ME!!! CHEERS! !!!

• Bozo said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Cheers kat – don’t mind if I do!

• chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I second (third?) that…drinks all around!

70. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm

As I said yesterday, I’m just not sure they’ll release Huff while first base situation is so unsettled. I’d like them to give the job to Belt as it should have been from day 1 and that may still happen but until they’ve anointed a starter, Huff could hang on.

• Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Screw Huff….Pill and Belt can handle first.More of the Pill Box for me right now.He’s doing just fine along with Hector.They are the RH POP with Sanchez being a bonus being a SH.And you could bet Pill would get the call next time in an emergency situation at 2B over a clueless Huff, speaking about Huff I sure would like to know how much his Kangaroo Court Fine will be for that blunder. Should be all time record.

71. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Hmmm…Javier was a bit rough his last time out. Long term not a guy you typically worry about, but come on…let’s put this thing away…

72. Alleykat said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Green Acres is the place to be.
    Farm living is the life for me.
    Land spread out so far to see.
    Bum can milk his cow and still have time to pee.

NY is where I rather stay.
    I get allergic. smelling hay.
    I just adore a penthouse view
    Darling I love you but give me Park Ave.
    You are my wife, good by city life
    Green Acres here we come.

73. twinfan1 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hello, Chi. Nice to see you.

74. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I don’t think Huff is going anywhere soon, regardless of how badly many want him gone. But agree…Belt should have had the job day 1 and been allowed to play through the rough spots.

75. chipower9 said, on April 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Lopez making it a little too interesting…