A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Some Random Thoughts as We Brace for The Launching Pad in Cincinnati

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 24, 2012

First off, congratulations to Pablo Sandoval for tying Willie Mays record of 16 straight games with at least one hit to start the season. He’s developed into such an accomplished hitter. They need to come up with a new scouting report on him because the slop pitchers used to throw up there is getting spit on by Pablo this year. Makes you wonder why he didn’t get lasix surgery a long time ago…….

Hector Sanchez is really starting to block balls in the dirt better. It was quite noticeable last night how far he’s come, even from his last start. He does seem to have a problem hitting breaking balls and I’m sure that will find it’s way to his scouting report soon enough. But he seems like such a good hitter, I’m sure he’ll figure it out……

Speaking of *improvement*, it’s impossible not to notice E-Burr’s hitting skills this year. What happened to this guy? He’s ROPING balls in all directions. This is an immeasurable development, I think Burriss will hold down the 2nd base job all year long. It still pisses me off to think about Marty Lurie saying that the Giants “desperately need Glass to come back and play first base” without any mention whatsoever of the job E-Burr has done this year. Did anyone catch Glass’ comments yesterday? “I still have some work to do on the shoulder.” If by “work” he means “stop throwing a baseball” then I am 100% behind his take. I believe, and have for months now, that his career as a major league 2nd baseman is over. He seems to be trying desperately to come back, though with him you never really know. Remember, Bochy has publicly questioned him before from the stand point of “Um, why isn’t he here playing yet?” I know that was a couple of years ago and he hasn’t said anything like that during this most recent rehab assignment. I’m just sayin’, it’s impossible to know what *work* Sanchez still needs to do on his shoulder…….

I appreciated B-Jenk’s take on Huff’s absurd play:

1. Bozo said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:22 am

The hell with the way Burriss has been hitting, to me his glove has been the big change this year. Not to mention his base running. One things for sure, I’m feeling a lot more comfortable these days with him in the line-up. What ever he did over the winter sure is paying off.

• denniszu said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:58 am

I hope Timmy bought Burriss a watch after he saved his ass in game 1 on that double play.

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:32 am

I still haven’t seen the play (was listening at work), but it sounds like Crawford’s piece of the play was pretty bitching, too.

2. gianthead said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:29 am

I like to take credit for identifying two years ago that I thought Panda an eyesight issue:). But I think Flav and Twin also made similar comments.

But is there any doubt now that the surgery has led to this? I think at some point in his career if not now, he will push into the 30s for a hitting streak…

It is imcomprehensible how the Warriors could have allowed themselves to win a game…but again, they are the Warriors…

• blade3colorado said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:48 am

OK, OK, you were right about the Lasik surgery. However, my idea about him purchasing the Opti-Grab glasses Navin R. Johnson invented was close.

• St said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:06 am

Pablo pre-lazik was pretty damn good.

3. gianthead said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:36 am

We forget because he sat for two years, but Burriss the 24 year old was a skinny toothpick. He is considerably bigger in his upper body, so I think that strengthening is what has led to his emergence with the bat.

But we also forget his mistakes in the field also should be put in light of his youth. I just remember him making one of the greatest. Plays I have ever seen from a second baseman when he made a diving stop to help preserve Randy Johnson’s no-hitter at that point in the game for what turnd into his 300th win. Greatest play he hjas made until last night….

4. willieD said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:16 am

Initial read, supposedly on burriss was SF was leery about his ability to play SS, which is how Giants wound up with rent/uribe. All the injuries set him back too. I wasn’t impressed with his D at all last year; he looked jittery and unsure with the glove wherever they stuck him.
    I haven’t seen him much this year (nothing yesterday either), but hopefully with his success so far he has enough confidence to continue to grow and improve. I mentioned it before, but I don’t see why he can’t get more time at SS–compare offense/D numbers btw crawford at SS vs. Theriot (when he’s healthy) at 2b, at least vs. LHP. Even if glass ever does come back, no reason to sit B behind craw.
    With his ability to get on base so far, I’d throw him in at lead off once in a while too, just to see what happens and move Pagan down in the LU. Hey if it works out and he’s a real threat on the bases ahead of melk and sando you’d really have something.

5. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:33 am

I pointed yo the many doubters that Burrriss had hit well his rookie season and then he suffered back to back srious foot injuries. He’s alwayshe a smart player, I’m delighted but not surprised that he’splaying well. Now as soon as Bochy commes yo his senses and give to playing regular time to Belt as he has to lesser players and prospects, the offense will become a top half one. Sorry if you have to wade through typos and such, I’m not longer goingbto take the great efforet to edit my posts.

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:43 am

The Belt issue id the most seroius one facing the team, other than Klncecum’s contniumg problems, so I” be focusing on Belt today. BTWE, last night may or may be a saign that Tim has turned the cormer. We hopev it is, but it was no better than the ones that got Dirtty is “basket case” nickname..

6. willieD said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:47 am

Not sure if anyone was watching (even at the park) but colon lost last night when Peavy complete game shutout of the A’s 4-0, who didn’t play very well behind him either.
    I finished “summer of ’68” book, and I have to say it’s disappointing. With a title like that I guess I expected more than just cards/tigers, who take up 90% of the book with a little politics/football thrown in. the only other player mentioned a few times is Luis Tiant. Great pic of him tho in Tribe uni of that time.
    Since Loo mentioned fences noticeable in NY, gotta wonder if Alderson was all in on that or not; that kind of thing is obviously double edged sword that isn’t going to help the PS. Sure didn’t help them much yesterday, altho from the highlights Sando shot was out anywhere, and they raked both games.

7. denniszu said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:10 am

Not to go off the path, but it’s nice to see Cody proving he’s still worth something… 1st in all categories except slugging avg. for the Sox…… I miss his positive attitude…

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:12 am

Just keeping Cody was a wiser move than the Pagan trade.

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:52 am

totally disagree. Ross is hitting well in Boston because it’s the right situation for him. Pagan gives us a legit lead off guy. And he’s not hurt all the time, unlike Torres.

8. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:11 am

The situation with Belt will be an oging distraction ytbat theydon’tb ned until he’s eiyther given the chance he should have had to begin with, or he’;s traded. Hey, maybebat him lead off, hehas an OPB 58 pioiunts higher than Pagan and the same number of stolen bases..

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

Bloggers have complauined for years that Alou and now Bochy have not given young players a fairvshot- mostly theyn werr wrong becuse guys like Linden, Frandesen, Bowkwer were not blue chip prospects. Now they have a genuine prospect and some are now defeering to the wiasodom of Bochy in sitting their best hitting prospect. Since most blofggers don’t read the pieces that arelinked, I think I” ll copy the entire FanGHraps article on Belt and the stupidity of not playing him that Willie originally linked to

• willieD said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

I like to read FG, they have interesting stuff, not all of the saber things i fully understand or comprehend the full meaning of in terms of player value. I also enjoy the comments from their bloggers–in this case i was amazed that the two big Giants fans supported Huff and his career numbers over belt.
        I don’t see hector at C/Posey at 1b as an improvement defensively or offensively over Posey/Belt, either. Posey as a 1b, as has been pointed out many times, is not overwhelming as a hitter. And of course, 9 innings at 1b is not a rest/off day, which Posey will definitely need.

9. blade3colorado said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:25 am

Weatherproof games: Angels-Rays, Astros-Brewers, Phillies-Diamondbacks.

Rockies-Pirates will still be cold after Monday’s forecasted snow, with temperatures in the low 40s. However, no precipitation is expected. Both Giants-Reds and Red Sox-Twins could see a rain delay before first pitch, but these showers won’t last long. Same goes for Cardinals-Cubs; showers are expected in the middle innings, but the weather delay should be brief. And finally, Marlins-Mets will see winds reaching 20 mph, making the low 50s temperature feel more like high 30s.

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hey, thanks for the forecast, Blade. Can’t do any worse than the local yay-hoo “meterologists.”

Forecast for Cincy is sun/clouds, today. Thunderstorms developing tomorrow, and thrunderstorms for Thursday. Hope they can get the games in…rainouts suck.

10. James said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

“he seems like such a good hitter, I’m sure he’ll figure it out……” Sanchez has an OPS of 669 in 26 PAs and Belt is at 679 in 30 PAs.

11. irishman5574 said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

Kuiper on KNBR, says that the big change at the plate for Burriss, he is not trying to hit it out of the park, Burriss is thinking line drives, which is what he should be thinking with his speed. I also don’t think Glass should just have the 2nd base job handed to him if/when he comes back. That would be a huge mistake on Bochy’s side if that happens

12. blade3colorado said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:41 am

Manager Bruce Bochy vowed to stick with Schierholtz in the lineup because “he’s earned it.” Why say anything? I think Bochy would be well served to just plug him into the line-up, without making any announcements and just see what happens. In short, it seems like I have seen this script before (most recently – before spring training occurred and he said that Schierholtz was his right fielder).

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:54 am

I would tend to agree that Bochy speaks more often than he needs to regarding who’s in the starting LU. It’s clear he’s going to play whoever he thinks is going to produce NOW. As he’s said, he’s trying to win games NOW not develop hitters……

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:12 am

Then he shouldn’t be wasting time with a kid who will never hit (Crawford). Belt is also very good defensively so that excuse can’t be used for Crawford. Notice that I didn’t get hits on my poll, maybe beacuse lurkers can’t skewer it.
        How points above Craford will Belt hit in his career?
        1. 100
        2. 75
        3. 50
        Anything less than 50 is impossib;e so I didn’t include lower numbers.

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:18 am

that’s because it’s a dumb, uninteresting poll. Shortstop and first base are two different positions with different expectations. The Giants don’t really give a shit if Crawford isn’t hitting as long as he’s playing great defense. He’s had some defensive struggles this year and that can be attributed to his thumb which he hurt just before the season started. He’s also probably in need of a blow, and if the Giants would just waive Huff already they could bring up Arias who could spell him.
        But Belt, as a first baseman and the likely 5th placed hitter HAS to hit well. And he has to hit for power. –2 things he’s failed to do this year…….

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:02 am

Agree he probably puts it out there too often, but he also is consistent in saying he’ll play the “hot hand.” And by-and-large that is okay, except where you have someone like Belt, he just needs to be given the majority of the starts at 1st (get Pill, Posey or Huff in there occasionally), and let him figure it out (I think he needs at least 150-200 ABs to really settle in, etc.).

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:05 am

I agree Flav on the take on Crawford (vs. Belt). I could give a flying eff if he hits. Hell, if he hits .240-.250 consistently, I’m good (hell, I’ll take him at less to be honest). One difference with Crawford this year, is he is hitting the ball hard…just most of the time they are right at someone. His hits will start to fall, but regardless, the focus with him is the glove. Let the kid alone and let him play. Same goes for Belt…let him play/develop.

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:32 am

It’s completely relevant unless one really believes they will accept .200 from Crawford. Hmmm…how about this: who will be starting at the end of the year.Yes or no.
      1.Crawford-no
      2. Belt -yes

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:52 am

sure, I can dig some of that. Gimmie a minute.

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:06 am

I think they will both be starting at the end of the year. And I’ll take .200 and his glove from Crawford.

• ewisco said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:49 am

i’ve got them both starting.

13. St said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:42 am

Re Belt and Bochy

Interesting that Bochy had a promising 24 yr old at 1b in 2006 when he was with the Padres. Kid was the 1st player chosen in the 2000 draft, had already been traded twice, bounced to AAA a couple of times as he struggled in his first 200 ab’s. Started well in 06, but was hitting just .223 on May 7th. Stuck with him and he went on to hit .300 that yr and the rest is as they say, history.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:12 am

Can you tell us who this “kid” is? I know Ted “The Kid” Williams was from San Diego, but his head lies frozen somewhere.

• unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:18 am

A-Gon . . .

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:07 am

I think it was prob Alex Gonzalez…

14. unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:17 am

The comparison of Matt Williams to B Belt could end up being the same thing, but the success of Williams came despite the way the Giants handled him. He was yoyoed like a mofo for 3 years before they left him alone. Granted, Matty was younger than Belt at the time, but I think sitting Belt, and possibly sending him down won’t help him much. He can hit AAA pitching. He needs to get consistent starts up here.

15. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:35 am

On the poll- the players should always play to win every single game. If management wanted to tank they should have played Biedrins and his 4 sisters..

• Nipper said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Yeah the players should never be slighted for winning.

16. Bozo said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:41 am

Chuck I think the difference between Matt and Belt was the way Dusty and then Bobby handled him. Even after he started hitting, Matt almost always looked to the dugout where Dusty would do a little batting thing with his hands held back (which he did as the coach at First). Later when he looked down at Bonds at 1B, Bobby would do a lick the shoulder mimic thing. Early on, Matt was also switching from SS to 3B, sometimes a new position will effect hitting. Which is probably another reason he would bounce back and forth with AAA and the big club.

• Nipper said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:52 am

I think the fans are ready to turn the page and play Belt for a period of time.

17. unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

Well, if they send Belt down and recall him 3 times this year and next year, it’ll be on par with what Matty went through. Williams stuck through the demotions and the bullshit. Can Belt handle it? i don’t know, but I guess we’ll find out. Yeah, he has to produce, but they put up with Huff all of last year. They can certainly give Belt more of a shot.

• Nipper said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:53 am

Fans have had it with Huff.

18. Irish Kevin said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:00 am

I have to say, if they are going to stick with young players, Crawford, Burriss, etc, then they should stick with Belt also. Bench the Huffster!!

19. chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:28 am

I did not see the DP by Burriss/Crawford yesterday (was listening to the game). Finally found a link. Sweet! Burriss’s glove flip to start is is awesome…Crawford bare-hands it to complete it…you can tell Timmy is Pumped!

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

Krukow made it seem like Burriss was just an interested bystander.

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:39 am

an unbelievable play by both

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:13 pm

one of the sweetest DPs by Jints in a while, post-Vizquel era

20. blade3colorado said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:33 am

Anyone else hear (more info) about Huff sending Bochy a text indicating he had a family emergency? Is he available to play today or is he gone for an extended period???? My cousin just told me this . . .

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:37 am

I haven’t heard any more and I am reserving the chance to at least consider the possibility that this is a smoke screen for something else. Doesn’t it seem off that the day after the worst game of his professional career he has to bounce to deal with a *personal emergency? It’s certainly possible, I guess.
      But Brian Wilson supposedly sprained his ankle and we now know that was bullshit.

• blade3colorado said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:49 am

Yeah, that was my take. Quite strange it occurred after the “which way do I go George” 2nd base fiasco.

• Nipper said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:54 am

People lie?

• ewisco said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:48 am

i’m still sort of blown away by the whole, text the manager that i’m leaving thing. you’ve got the frigging phone in your hand, why not use the talking feature that many phones provide? If i’m the manager I don’t want to hear you’re bailing on me by text. I want full and complete disclosure.

• blade3colorado said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:53 am

Exactly. When I was a supervisor, a text or email would have been unacceptable insofar as a form of communication for not reporting to work. Similarly, if I had done the same thing as an employee, I know that my ass would have been in hot water.

• blade3colorado said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:55 am

I forgot to ask – Ewisco or anyone else who still works . . . Is this becoming acceptable behavior, i.e., a text to your boss indicating that I am not coming into work? I retired early 6 years ago, so maybe things have changed.

• Nipper said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:55 am

Huff is riding out of town…..

• ewisco said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:18 am

Actually blade, I’m a manager and i have people text me that they’re sick. I don’t mind that but i don’t have to explain to the press why my guy isn’t here. and if you’re sick, you’re sick. not much i can say (“oh the hell you are, get your ass in here” doesn’t fly in these times). Actually, now that i think about it more, if they just said “family emergency” there isn’t much i can ask either.

• unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

Your cousin Vinny?

• ewisco said, on April 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm

one of the funniest movies.

21. chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:59 am

Baggs broke the story (on Huff) originally…I haven’t seen anything since.

22. paulinasia said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

What was great about those 2 wins yesterday was that they were convincing wins. 6-1, 7-2 … without Tim being consistently sharp.. at the end of a cold rainy stay in Flushing Meadows. Let’s see if they can build on that. You sense that they can.

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:18 am

They definitely broke out the lumber in NY (NY and Cincy team ERA and WHIP are almost identical) and are playing better defensively. No reason it cannot continue in Cincy.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:38 am

I thought the same thing. The Giants should slap around a club like the Mets. It was good to see them handle business.

23. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:10 am

Well, Huff had actually been hitting the ball fairly well until a little more a week ago. On April 13 he was hitting .278 with a .990 OPS. It IS possible that the the family issue was a distraction and his 1 for 15 since then, and brain fart the other day, could have been affected by the family problem. So he finally decided he had to resolve it. I have no idea if that’s true, but it’s plausible, just as it turned out that Pablo had been distracted by family issues. I realize that this would, to some degree, shed a favorable light on his problems so it won’t be a popular possbile explanation so I’ll go a more popular possibilty: he quit on the team, got drunk, couldn’t “face” Bochy by phone, so the coward texted him… there ya go, better

• Nipper said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:20 am

“Family problems” for a vet should never be an excuse for bad play. And texting the manager is weak by anyone’s standards. No Huff has some answering to do.

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

Personal problems often affect performance, it’s ridiculous to say otherwise. If Huff has any explaining to do, I imagine it will be handled privately with Bochy. One of the reasons Bochy is respected as a manager and a man is that he doesn’t go “Valentine” on his players. But please do keep on top of this for us, Nip.

• TedSpe said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:33 am

That’s “‘splaining” to do. And Bochy described it as “very, very important” and “an emergency”. I wouldn’t be so quick to judge just becauue he’s a “vet”. We’re all human. My second Dad had a stroke last Friday and I had to be in a play that night. Let’s just say I wasn’t really focused. And I’ve done hundreds of plays. Family *does* come first.

24. unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

Texting though? Really? In this age of everyone having a cell phone, I find it a little hard to think that Huff couldn’t call Bochy. Did Bochy check his messages this morning and get the text? Because all I had heard was Huff’s absence was unannounced.

25. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Bochy knew about it yesterday morning, not today. I don’t know why Huff didn’t call, all I know is what the presumption would be. How about a poll on what we believe really happened? I guess I’d go with he really was experiencing family problems, the second base thing-both his mistake and the hysterical reaction to it, prompted him to take his leave to deal with it, he didn’t call because hid DID have a few. 15 to life…

26. Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I am not judging Huff one way or the other. I’ll assume it’s what he said it was until there’s reason to not believe that anymore.

27. chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Huff-Gate…the plot thickens! Enough…I am sure, as Twin pointed out, that Bochy will handle is professionally and to everyone’s satisfaction.

The real interesting news for the Giants right now is today’s match-up. Cain vs. Latos (we all know how endeared Latos is to the Orange and Black).

Latos isn’t exactly setting the world on fire. Last three starts: 0-2, 15.1 IP, 21 H, 14 ER, 8 BB, 11 Ks.

Let’s Go Giants!

28. chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Oh, and ERA at 8.22 and WHIP of 1.89.

29. Macdog said, on April 24, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Last year’s trip to Cincy was a sweep for the Reds and started the slide that would last the rest of the season. OK, it’s too early for that to happen, but that ballpark is always a tough place. Reds have played just six home games so far and haven’t played at home in nearly two weeks, so they’re probably anxious to get back to hitting in their bandbox. Let’s hope Matty can start things off by taking his act on the road after those two dominant home starts, especially with Zito up next.

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Agreed, Mac…need to get a win out of the gate…set the tone for a series win. Giants are 5-5 on the road.

30. chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Wednesday, another story. Arroyo is tearing it up. He is 1-0 in 21.2 IP, 7 ER, 1 BB, 13 Ks, 2.91 ERA and 0.88 WHIP.

31. DJLoo said, on April 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Here’s an important stat: Giants are 3-0 this year when I’m in the park. Not a single anxious moment last night.
    Did they say how far Pablo’s HR went? Looked about 450 to me. Glad to have seen Hector’s first – a real laser beam. (I also saw Ortmeier’s first – bad omen?) I believe Nate’s homer would not have gone out with the old fence. Met fans in LF were brutal to Bay after the drop. It was pretty quiet there…you could here everything.

32. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Pagan CF, Cabrera LF, Sandoval 3B, Posey C, Schierholtz RF, Belt 1B, Burriss 2B, Crawford SS, (Cain P)

33. chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm

That should be their everyday line-up (with the occasional start for Sanchez, Pill, Blanco, etc.) until someone proves they don’t belong in the line-up.

34. ewisco said, on April 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm

interesting article by tim k. over at the merc. (mercurynews.com/sports) about the youth movement afoot.

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I’m sure I’m not the only one here who has previously pointed out what Kawakami is talking about. It’s rather amusing when someones tries to play the Bochy-Vet card and the deck is empty.

35. Irish Kevin said, on April 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

The Smart Phone (oxymoron) anyway has made it simpler for employer and employee to keep track of who is at work and who is not. I send a meeting notice to my supervisor so that it is on her calendar that I was out that day. and it is on my calendar so that when I am completing my time sheet I know the dates I was not at work due to illness, appointments, vacation. whatever.

36. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Bochy plays the whole bench. Look at 2010 for evidence. Still, it sure seems like the club got young all of a sudden. I like it though.

37. DJLoo said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:02 pm

If the over/under on combined HRS for Posey and Sandoval was 50, I’m not sure which way I’d go…

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Me neither. Probably lean ever so slighly on the over (but that’s probably me being a homer)…

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm

this year? Under. It might be under 40

• DJLoo said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:59 pm

We’re right at the one tenth point of the season – so at the moment, with 5 combined, they are on the pace for 50… ,

• unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm

16.2 games played?

38. DJLoo said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

So do people still call the office and try to sound sick?

• TedSpe said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Yes. It’s quite funny, actually

• ewisco said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm

every now and then but that’s mostly the old school guys.

• chipower9 said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Guess I’m old school…because I still do it, on occasion.

• Nipper said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I’m feeling a bit under the weather today……sniff…

• blade3colorado said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Employee says, “I have an eye infection boss.” Boss says, “What do you mean you have an eye infection?”

Employee says, “I can’t see coming into work today.” 🙂

39. DJLoo said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Bay broke a rib on that play last night and hit the DL. Reprieve for Andres who will be back in CF when he’s activated in a few days according to Alderson. Pelfrey’s the latest who might need TJ surgery. Rough days for Met fans who will also be subject to a pre-game video tribute to the returning Jose Reyes.

• blade3colorado said, on April 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Hopefully, he will thank them by hitting a home run ala’ Pagan.

• unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm

That sucks. I thought he might have broken his face.

• zumie said, on April 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Man, he hit the ground hard.
        And what an excellent call by Krukow right before the pitch. Something like: “They’re playing Blanco shallow in the outfield. He’s burned some teams that have tried that.”

• Nipper said, on April 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Mets suck so who plays matters not.

40. DJLoo said, on April 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Have they announced Friday’s starter?

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I’ve guesed Hacker, but Blackley has been excellent as well. Both of these guys have been around the block but are good enough to give them 6 decent innings.

41. Nipper said, on April 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Giants a player short……surprised?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Temper, attention span and a dollar, but I’ve never been a player short.
      I play with a full team.

42. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Pagan has two steals and both times he would have been out by a bunch with a decent throw.

• TedSpe said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Well thank the Lord for indecent throws

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Well, it’s not encouraging from a guy who was going to steal 50. But 48 more bad throws and he’s there.

43. Irish Kevin said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I love ESPN box score for when I am at work.

Joey Votto Strike (looking), Strike (looking), Strike (swinging), J Votto struck out swinging

44. DJLoo said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Matt might as well have put that on a tee for him…

45. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I couldn’t tell on the reply, did Phillips get a piece of that ball that was ruled a foul tip?
    Talk about changing the complexion of an inning…

46. manny said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hope Cain has a less stressful inning in the 2nd.

47. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I must say that Belt didn’t appear terribly interested in that AB. But he is sort of a phlegmatic guy, so that can be misleading. And here you thought MadBum was the phlegmatic one…

48. unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Lets leave the phlegm out of it, eh?

49. unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhh, what’d I miss? Someone went yard for Cincy?

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm

You lose your specs, codger? You might need them to read the birthday greetings tomorrow
      chuck

50. unca_chuck said, on April 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Come on Panda . . .

51. Alleykat said, on April 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I doubt the Giants make a move for that Friday Start.They will just go with Mota then Hensley.

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Possible but that puts a lot on the regular starters.

• Alleykat said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm

True,Have to wait and see if they burn thru the pen.Then for sure they would bring someone up for that start.

52. Alleykat said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Damn Posey smoked that ball to the upper deck.Too bad he was to quick on it. Man No Runs out of that,but they took a toll out of Lagos with a 37 pitch inning.They will get em next inning.

53. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I loathe Latos [ILL].

54. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Someone [Schulman? Baggs?] was asking for nicknames yesterday for Bumgarner. No nickname for him is better than the one Stix coined in the WS: The Undertaker.

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:24 pm

This whole Cincy team is a team I can easily learn to despise.

56. Alleykat said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Just a ?….Twin or anyone else.If the Giants put Huff on say a Bereavement leave can they call up Hacker or Blackly who are not on the 40 man roster?Are do they have to have to add them to it before they could call either one up?

57. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Becoming painful to watch, esp. w/ Reds announcers saying Bruce 0-12 w/ RISP.

58. Alleykat said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Yeah Paulie….Undertaker works for me.He has that type of demeanor. Although Snots could work but I doubt it would be politically correct.It was the perfect name for Uncle Eddie’s dog though in National Lampoon Christmas Vacation.

59. Alleykat said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Well Otrero is heading to Fresno after this performance.

• twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Maybe so, but demoted for one stinker seems harsh to me.

60. manny said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Hopefully Pablo gets his hit tonight, if nothing else good comes from this game.

61. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Magnus, nice little revisionism there on the title of yesterday’s post. A little digital air brushing. Reminds me of that famous photo of the Soviet Politburo reviewing a parade. Now you see ’em, now you don’t. [This game sucks; don’t even want to talk about it.]

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm

thanks for noticing. Jokes don’t go over too well around here…

62. Alleykat said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:03 pm

On a bad night,atleast there is one shining moment, Congratulations To Pablo Sandoval for breaking Willie Mays record with now a 17 game start oftheseason record!
    As I type Buster goes yard! 2 shining moments!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I salute Panda — and I’m a Mays fan. Great going, Pablo. Hey, Giants, make believe you are the Yankees against the Red Sox last Saturday!!!

63. willieD said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm

shot from posey to RC reminds me of Piazza—they set up away threw it out there and he smoked it anyway.

• James said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:13 pm

That’s 2 impressive opposite field HRs this year. A lost art for RH hitters? I remember players like Richie Zisk who seemed to specialize in it. Not that I want him at 1B, but right now it looks like Buster could put up stats that are better than average for that position.

• Alleykat said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Should have never thrown a pitch behind Posey! Sure that ticked him off in a 9-0 rout.WTF the Giants will come out more fired up tomorrow. Reds should of left sleeping dogs lie.Doubt Dusty is to thrilled with his pitcher right now.

64. Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I liked Bochy leaving Otero in there to finish the game. He saw the writing on the wall of where this game was headed and there’s no reason to burn up your BP in the first game of a long series in Cinncy– Long from the standpoint of a lot runs getting scored this series.
    Sometimes you gotta take one for the team and Otero stepped up tonight and did it. I bet Bochy and his teammates respect him more because of tonight’s appearance…..

65. Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Dirrrrty had another brutal outing. 4.2 innings, 7 walks, 115 pitches. He’s now got a WHIP over 2.00. I think at this point in the season, With Torres a non-factor in NY due to another leg injury and Ramirez getting lit up in his few appearances, I think it’s safe to say that SO FAR Sabean scored an A+ on those 2 trades………

66. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I seem to recall that the taking one for the team was sometimes a bone of contention come contact time ( not here neccessarily). I think it might have been in noted miser Calvin Griffith’s time. Some poor sap would give up 10 in 1/3 inning or some such and ask for a little credit at the bargaining table. He’d get a response alonng the lines of “you’re lucky to even be here, son”…and he might get a coupon for KFC

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I remember Ron Darling getting lit up early in a game on a Sunday afternoon circa 1984. He kept looking over at Davey Johnson in the dugout, as if to say, Help me, Skip; take me outta here. Nope. Davey had none of it, as if to say, Sorry, son, this is the bigs. You got a lesson to learn. I guarantee you Darling remembers it to this day. And Loo was prob. there with Buzzsaw.

67. Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm

The A’s have a 2.99 team ERA and are batting .205. Tonight both of those numbers have gone down a little with both the White Sox and A’s having 1 hit total through 4 innings tonight.
    It’s just not possible to consider Beane’s weak excuse about not having enough dough to compete with bigger market teams when your team ERA is under 3.00. And the .200 team batting average is on HIM. It’s also not possible to have a team batting average of .200 even if you were trying to put one together. That’s an entire team of Johnnie Lemaster’s. You can put a better offense than that together, even on the cheap………

68. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I only pop over to the drumbeat when VK invites Giants’ fans for some talk for the Bay Bridge Series- I was giving some A’s fans shit about their fine young pitchers and how long would it take before Beane traded them away…
    “No way, they’re keeping them. That’s what we’re building around”-Gio, Cahill… gone about a minute later. I feel sorry for the fans, he’s fucked them so many times…it’s a disgrace..

• Flavor said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:44 pm

not only is it a disgrace, but that book has hypnotized most A’s fans into loving the guy. They all hate Wolff because he’s leaving, or trying to. But all of the hardcore A’s fans that I know fucking LOVE Billy Beane. Still. It’s insane……..

69. twinfan1 said, on April 24, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Update on our other two SS prospects:
    Adrianza .190 in AA
    Panik .217 in San Jose (High-A)

This may be the first time I remember having better prospects in Fresno than the low minors, BTW.

70. ewisco said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm

aren’t you in a rush to get rid of BC?

on another point, why not bring up someone for Friday. Sure you could start mota, but it’s not like it matters whether you start him or have him come in as a reliever. so start some young, fresh faced kid, and see what happens. the worst that happens is you bring mota in with 3 runs scored, bases loaded and still no one out. i admit, that would be bad.

71. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm

TedSpe: sorry to hear about your dad’s stroke. Hope recovery is swift and complete.

72. Macdog said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Dodgers finally lose a home game and the D-Backs got roughed up by the Phils, so the night wasn’t a total loss.

73. James said, on April 24, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Reading through an old favorite, I came across this, which somehow seemed appropriate to a perpetual theme on the Flap: