A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Settling in for a 9 Game Homey And Many Reasons to Feel Positive

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 27, 2012

Pagan’s home run was huge, it was the difference between us coming home 10-9 and 9-10. And 10-9 just looks better. We face San Diego, Miami, and The Brewers for 3 a piece. There are plenty of positives to indicate the Giants are headed in a winning direction right now…..

To wit:

Pagan has quietly put together an 11 game hitting streak. He also hasn’t taken a walk in 9 games and that is a streak that needs to end. I’m looking forward to at least 3 triples from him during this homestand………

It looks like Belt has finally gotten another chance at 1st base and that’s a positive for all the fans who think he’s ready right now. We’ll see if he takes advantage of the opportunity. He’s 3 for his last 7 and though it was only 3 singles he’s nudged his OPS above .700 to .732. That number needs to climb if he’s going to hit in the middle of the line up. I’m not optimistic that he’s ready for a regular starting job but will be happy if he is. And the fact is, there’s really no one else to turn to with Huff on the DL and Brett Pill being the only other option……..

Barry Zito is showing a fairly stable degree of reliability although I’ve been wrong about every single one of his starts this year so maybe I should just stop making any positive comments about him. “I formally predict that the Marlins will destroy him next Wednesday to the tune of 6 earned runs in 2.2 innings. He’ll walk 4 strike out none.” There, that should do the trick…….

The Giants are hitting an even .200 as a team with RISP. I actually consider that a *backhanded* positive because I think that number has nowhere to go but up. They are a decent, legitimate hitting team this year, unlike last year. There really isn’t any at bat that comes up that I feel like is an automatic out. Crawford comes closest to that but as we’ve seen with our own eyeballs, Crawford has hit many balls hard that have found a glove or just missed being fair by inches. Having said that, I am glad to see Arias up. He hits better than Crawford and he will give the kid a blow which is what he needs right now. And unless Arias is significantly worse at defense than Crawford, our LU is stronger with him in it right now. Mr DJ Loo noted an interesting fact about Arias the other day: He was the PTBNL in the A-Rod/Soriano trade and he was also traded for Jeff Francour. He’s got skills, and with Crawford nursing a thumb and elbow injury and a scuffle at the plate I think Arias will be an excellent insertion into our LU over the coming days……

Burriss is showing everyone how far he’s come as a major leaguer (Marty Lurie, please make a note of that). As I’ve said for a while now, Glass Sanchez’ career is over and it’s nice to know we have a young, home grown player who is finally ready to shine. I’m happy for him, he seems like a great guy……

Pablo has cobbled together an 18 game hitting streak to start the season. Luebke will be a challenge for him tonight but he will be up for it. All this guy has to do is stay healthy and he will make a run at the NL MVP award this year….

Casilla’s lights out/curtains drawn appearance yesterday will hopefully give Bochy the confidence to go to him regardless of the *match ups* from here on out. The one neg right now is our bullpen–Lopez is all over the place, Affeldt seems to have turned into a jerk and Hensley might not be as good as everyone thinks he is. Casilla has been the rock. Getting the ball to him with the lead is going to be the real challenge……..

The weather is heating up, the boys are back in town, and I’m ready for a game, son…….

1. DJLoo said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:16 pm

So does he hang around in the pen until Aubrey cheers up?

2. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:17 pm

JA in to pitch? I hope he yelled at Hector in the dugout before he took the mound.
    I’d fire Affeldt right after I got through shit-canning Bud Black.

3. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:21 pm

This is a despicable display of D. by both sides tonight. I’m shit-canning everyone tonight.
    Now a steal of third? Better blame Hector. Now a base hit up the middle. Jeremy Affeldt is on my shit list.

4. DJLoo said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I refuse to believe Nick Hundley is not related to Todd & Randy…

5. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Did you see JA’s late attempt to b/u the throw at 3rd? Fuck him and his mother.

6. paulinasia said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm

There was lots of talk here and elsewhere about how the Dodgers fattened their early season win total so far by playing San Diego so often. Giants need to get their bats going. They’re home now for a spell, need to settle in and start getting hit-happy again, especially w/ RISP…

7. twinfan1 said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Man, Affeldt better tape his frigging mouth shut after this one.

• paulinasia said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Of course from here, I can’t see the game… was that wild pitch all on JA? Meaning… no cause to yell at the catcher again? Affeldt seems to be on a downward slippery slope right now…

• DJLoo said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm

They black out Giant games in the DMZ?

• paulinasia said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Yeah, Loo, Face Book and Giants games. Go figure.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm

No, no, no, no, no. I want to hear what he has to say after this one.
      He owes everyone, and especially his teammates an explanation.

8. eddacker said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm

is this office politics? hector is making JA look bad so the boss comes down on JA while hector looks innocent

9. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Affeldt did it again. “I want you to find this nancy-boy, (Jeremy Affeldt) – I want him dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burned to the ground! I want to go there in the middle of the night and I want to piss on his ashes!”

• DJLoo said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm

At least you’re not over-reacting…

10. manny said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I get kind of worried anytime the ball goes out Pagan’s way,

• DJLoo said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Especially when he’s in the outfield…

11. Alleykat said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Alffeldt contiues to suck Balls!!Of course it’s all on Hector for not having 15 catcher gloves .

12. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Criminy. Come on. Get going here. It;’s the Otero hangover. . .

13. Flavor said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm

No one, including JA, could ever put that on Hector. I’m still waiting for Kruk to explain to me what JA really meant when he was screaming at Hector the other day….

14. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Criminy. Come on guys. Must be the Otero hangover . . .

15. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Weird. My post didn’t appear, then it did, a minute later . . .

SHit, where’d they dig up this guy? I thought Lurch was dead.

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Bust a move!

17. manny said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Buuuuussssster

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:49 pm

WTF? You take an 0-2 fastball right down the middle? I’m dumbfounded.

19. DJLoo said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Strange how the guy wearing the Posey shirt didn’t even try to chase the HR ball down the runway. K & K usually jump all over that kind of stuff…

20. Alleykat said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:49 pm

BF…So much for Posey struggling. out of the gate this year.!Just smoked a 99 heater out of the yard in a hurry.Top 5 hitter as well.

21. paulinasia said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I’m just curious, as I “watch” this on the game day thing, just see the results after it happens… Giants’ half innings seem to go very quickly….. suddenly it’s back to the top of the next inning…

22. manny said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Why isn’t Belt pinch hitting, this is their chance.

• DJLoo said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Is it too late to agree with you?

23. blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Fucking ump . . . That was close.

• DJLoo said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Thera-flu has to be swinging there…

• blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Agree, but it doesn’t mean I have to like the ump’s call.

24. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Now the Riot takes a 3-2 fastball for another called third.
    Swing the goddamn bat!

• Flavor said, on April 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm

especially since it was paint on the outside—supposedly his *take it the other way* sweet spot—

25. willieD said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:00 pm

when Loo brought up over under on sando/posey HRs, I would have said under all the way at 50. Now I’m not so sure. Posey whacked that out to LCF on a cool night, and took one to the wall in dead RF that Venable almost caught. He should lead the team if that keeps up, a good 25.

26. blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Off topic – Totally ironic that both phenoms (Harper and Trout) are being called up by their respective teams today.

27. manny said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Hector guns another one out!!!

• DJLoo said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:09 pm

That reminds me…..what’s up with Villalona these days?

• twinfan1 said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Hasn’t made it out of the DR. Telltale sign was wnen they took his name plate off his locker late in ST.

• Bozo said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Last I saw Loo he was still on the 40 man but listed as Restricted. I think there were some problems with the Visa.

28. Macdog said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Pads have struck out 12 times and made 3 errors — and a couple more that probably should’ve been errors — and they’re 3 outs away from winning. WTF?

• blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Well, Timmy tomorrow and Bum on Sunday.

29. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Yeah, SD did their damndest to give this one away, but the G’s wouldn’t take it.

30. paulinasia said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:21 pm

This is a team the Giants need to beat, and beat repeatedly and convincingly. No more talk about the Dodgers fattening up on San Diego. Damn, guess I was getting too comfortable with all of those 4+ runs games…. And yes, Blade, Timmy and Bum, that’s a good thing. Just need more hits with RISP.

31. unca_chuck said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Affeldt needs to pull his head out of his ass. What a horse shit game for him.

• snarkk said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Plenty of nominees, but he’s definitely the leader in the goat parade. He needs to yell at somebody again — the man in the mirror…

• twinfan1 said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:54 pm

If he wasn’t calling Hector out there would been no need for a statement. I’ve always thought Affeldt was a stand up guy, but he would have come off better if he just apologized.. to Hector, the team, and the fans. Bad form.

32. blade3colorado said, on April 27, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Collectively, they need to extract their heads from their asses. Nevertheless, sometimes, you just take a shower, wash it off, and begin again tomorrow. This is one of those games in my opinion.

Panda continues to impress and I have no idea where we would be without him.

33. paulinasia said, on April 28, 2012 at 1:42 am

From the Chron: “The Giants went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position. In the past 12 games, they’re 18-for-109 in the RISP category.” That’s the mark of a .500 team (or worse). That’s gotta change. We often bemoan certain lineups, but really, often it doesn’t matter a whole lot who bats where, but this is something that must change, and I’m guessing Bochy is gonna look at matching things up better, RBI guys following good on-base guys. Wonder if Michael or James could run things through the blogticulator and come up with a better RISP batting order…