A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Derby Day! And Where are the Bombs?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 5, 2012

I was fairly surprised to see the Giants mid-pack in the NL in total team bombs. I’m going to attribute some of that to fewer number of players using steroids. It seems like the Giants never hit any home runs. Pablo hit a couple over the last week. Buster hit one around a week ago, I think. I remember Pagan’s game winner.

The dearth of bombs isn’t a huge concern since we have a team built for speed. Except we don’t ever seem to use it. It’s a weird team this year. Tolbert went on and on (and on and on and on and….) yesterday on his theory of what’s missing on the Giants this year: a vet leader. He pointed to Burrell, Huff, Uribe, Ross etc… on the WS team and then tried to find one on the current roster. He went through every single player and mostly just found a bunch of guys who were more worried about playing time and keeping their roster spot. And I would tend to agree with him…….

It’s Derby Day and I am out the door in about 20 minutes. I’m a little behind on my Derby cappin’ this year and haven’t gone through the thoro-graph figs yet (an essential exercise before I bet any money on a big horse race) but I will release Β my best-bet and best-long shot for the Derby later today (probably from my phone at the track). Good luck to any and all who are wagering today on what I consider to be one of the top 5 greatest days in sports each year…….

1. James said, on May 5, 2012 at 6:48 am

Looking at BA w/ RISP versus overall BA from the years 2006-2010:

273 259
    264 254
    260 262
    245 258
    248 257

Maybe they shouldn’t have gotten rid of Barry Bonds? πŸ™‚ You can see that it’s really a coin toss as to whether the Giants will do well w/ RISP or not. It’s not something a manager can control.

Taking the “analysis” from last night just a little bit further, the question becomes just how many more runs would the Giants have scored if those 13 “poorly timed” hits had shifted to the situations w/ RISP? First, you have to take into account that a certain % of those 13 hits are actually setting up a RISP situation to begin with, some of which would no longer exist. This means that it really wouldn’t take all 13 hits to achieve BA parity in the RISP situation. Maybe a few of the hits have driven in some runs w/o the benefit of a RISP. These runs would be subtracted. Maybe another 1 or 2 will not drive in any runs because a runner is thrown out or advances only to third base.

999, a number Eddacker will recognize. Not sure we need it just yet . . . .

• Nipper said, on May 5, 2012 at 7:15 am

I sure miss Bonds.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

Why did you skip 2011? .219 RISP, .173 2 outs RISP. And if you were responding to me, I wasn’t, as you said, looking for parity or anything else, just an answer. I was asking a question of you, no ax to grind either way. BTW, I’ve asked several times if your PC worked out for you. I wasn’t fishing for a compliment, just an answer. It’s too late if you did have problems, but at one point, I could helped.

• James said, on May 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

I took your question at face value and thought I answered, Michael. I think it’s up to chance, nothing more. I could have included 2011, 2005 etc. I focused on this year’s numbers as an example to support the idea that a stat like RISP is an effect of random distribution, and that better numbers would not add as much production as it might at first seem. The range over all teams in any year is usually 20 plus or minus. The Giants were both really bad on offense last year, and extremely unlucky as far as RISP hitting goes.

The PC is still humming along nicely — no problems. Fred, Eugenio, and Rohand still flash by nearly every day when the screen saver kicks in πŸ™‚ I’m also now good with the USB connections. I still haven’t made the full switchover from the set top box to a CableCard . . . one day! Thanks again.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

I’m glad to hear it has been good to you.

2. eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 7:41 am

999 is the emergency number in the UK and the new 111 direct line to the police for lesser events
    shout out James

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2012 at 7:50 am

What are the police gonna do? Are they carrying a gun yet? πŸ™‚

• eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 11:55 am

Some do, guns are still banned in this country. When I first came over 8 years ago I missed mine and missed my truck more. Police wear anti-stab vests as knives while strictly controlled are the weapon of choice for yobs. And you should see some of the illegal guns they confiscate. Old and looking like they were maintained by a farrier.

πŸ™‚

3. willieD said, on May 5, 2012 at 7:59 am

Frustrating to me is SF inability to drive in a run with a SF when a guy is on third and all you have to do is hit the ball in the air medium deep. belt last night hits a ball hard on the ground and was lucky enough weeks blew it—my point being you can score a run in that case without even having to get a hit, and pick up an rbi.

• Alleykat said, on May 5, 2012 at 8:23 am

Just to drop a squeeze bunt down.Crap it worked for Ishi last night.But Bochy has no conjones to try that with a team desperate to score runs and the spark that lifts the bench when successful.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 9:27 am

It isn’t a matter of “conjones”, that’s not worth responding to. And they just executed a safety squeeze the other day. Tied the game in the 9th. Unfortunately, Casilla gave up the HR to Stanton in the 10th, making the Non-Save boy happy.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 5, 2012 at 8:00 am

I’ve heard some here say he’s annoying but I like Tolbert. Maybe it’s because I am new to hearing him. I find his interviews with Sabean interesting. Sabean talks about the players and their faults in a really detached way. It’s as if he had nothing to do with them showing up on the roster. I have been consistently in support of Sabean in my time posting here but this year the club has been totally unprepared from the off season through opening day and now the injuries.

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2012 at 8:56 am

There are times when I don’t like Tolbert but overall I find him engaging and funny. Plus, he played pro ball. If he tells me that we don’t have a locker room leader (who is a vet) and it’s necessary for the team, then I’m more inclined to believe him than someone who didn’t play sports professionally.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

Agree. He’s been in a locker room and has insight we may not see. ive said since last year that SF missed Uribe or a player like him. Sure he hasnt done well in LA but I think he bridged the Latin and White players well and brought that moxie a team needs.

• Flavor said, on May 5, 2012 at 9:26 am

I also kinda like Byrnes for the same reason–though it is absolutely impossible to listen to his voice—he is so overly effected with that California surfer dude attitude

5. willieD said, on May 5, 2012 at 8:16 am

Sd’s POTD cracked me up (musta seen a helluva game last night too!). I remember lucky lager mid-70s being $1.25 a six pack, with the picture riddles on the inside of the bottle cap. Course gas was about 40 cents a gallon back then.
    I could hold down a retail job and at 30 hours a week or so afford to put myself through college, have my own apt within walking distance of same, and have enough spare change to afford “entertainment.”
    I cannot believe what parents have to go through to put a kid though college nowadays, and how expensive an education at UC/State college system has become.

6. blade3colorado said, on May 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

For both Saturday and Sunday . . . Weatherproof games: Athletics at Rays, Cardinals at Astros and Twins at Mariners. A partly sunny weekend forecast is on tap for the majority of the country. Expect that, along with temperatures in the neighborhood of 68-73 degrees, for Cleveland, Detroit, New York, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco. Pittsburgh will also see some clouds, but with temperatures in the mid-to-upper 70s. Denver is expected to have a warm Saturday (83) give way to a breezier, cooler Sunday (65). A passing morning shower in Boston on Saturday should not impact any baseball action. Washington also has a chance at a Saturday shower, but should be otherwise unaffected by precipitation. Kansas City will see temperatures in the mid-to-upper 80s with a possible Sunday thunderstorm. Chicago is the only city that may see rain on both weekend dates, with showers possible on Saturday and spotty T-storms on Sunday.

• Alleykat said, on May 5, 2012 at 8:40 am

“All the Weather All the Time”
      BLADE, are on the man 24/7 weather reporter!
      Spanning. the globe from Spain to Sunnyvale to Denver and beyond the galaxy to give us his expert tutlege on weather forecasting ..Bravo and Stay thirsty my friend.

• blade3colorado said, on May 5, 2012 at 9:00 am

πŸ˜‰

7. willieD said, on May 5, 2012 at 8:46 am

Edd, sure wish you had more opp to enjoy amy g on a more regular basis…perhaps if hensley meulens home country of Curacao has an olympic team we can send her your way to report on The Games…at least through october.

8. sandog said, on May 5, 2012 at 9:42 am

Pad game was a hoot. The kids were great as we sat through all 12 innings. Seeing someone come back from a 5-0 deficit in a night game at Petco is unheard of. Told my son to watch Stanton closely as he came up in the first as he does some impressive stuff and was heating up against us. About 2 seconds later he hits one out to dead center that clears the entire Home bullpen, doinks off a cement planter box and richochets about 30 feet back onto the field. we were sitting near there and Kotsay had kind ofa “you dont see that every day” look on his face as he flipped the ball into the stands.
    someone touched on this last night, but I wonder whatis going thru Tims mind regarding his contract status. Im sure he turned down a huge long term deal in the off season and now that offer is long gone and Cain and Bum got the big bucks.
    Probably not something he is that worried about seeing as he is going to have about 70 mil in the bank himself by the end of next year.

• zumie said, on May 5, 2012 at 9:59 am

Sounds like a great evening, S-Dog. Going to the ballpark- always a cool thing.

9. zumie said, on May 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Robert Caro’s on BookTV today, talking about his new Lyndon Johnson biography. Hey, that conflicts with the Giants game. I’ll have to DVR Caro’s appearance. Yes, I DVR BookTV sometimes. Don’t judge me.

• DJLoo said, on May 5, 2012 at 10:07 am

“We are not going to send American boys nine or ten thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.”

10. DJLoo said, on May 5, 2012 at 10:16 am

I hate the Kentucky Derby:

1- Dullahan
    2- Alpha

11. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 10:20 am

“It’s post time!” Frank Sinatra as Joe E. Lewis in “The Joker is Wild” (1957) would say that phrase each and every time right before he’d take a sip of his drink. Well. It’s post time!

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 10:28 am

If NBC shows that commercial with that son bathing his mother, the stroke victim from smoking one more time…
    I’m going to lose my breakfast. Does vodka lose is alcohol content the second time down?

13. sandog said, on May 5, 2012 at 10:30 am

…just noticed we face Randy Wolf today, who has always been hard on us. Not sure if I’d put him in the Mark Portugal category when it comes to Giant-killers, but he’s in the neighborhood.

james-great Portugal reference the other night when Sanchez? Was mowing us down on a steady diet of change-ups.

• James said, on May 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

Nolasco. Doesn’t seem as arrogant as Portugal was . . . .

14. Alleykat said, on May 5, 2012 at 11:02 am

My Kentucky Derby Picks…..
    1) Dullahan
    2) Union Rags
    3) I’ll Have Another
    4) Creative Cause

With Alleykat closing fast….(grin)

15. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

Pagan CF, Theriot 2B, Cabrera RF, Posey 1B, Pill LF, Arias SS, Sanchez C, Gillaspie 3B, (Bumgarner P)

16. paulinasia said, on May 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

This is to James and Michael, mostly, although anyone probably has better understanding about this one issue than I do; about BA w/RISP… both the act of hitting or not hitting with RISP, and the stat itself. I’ve always viewed a stat as simply a numerical result of something that happened in real life. Obviously, stats have value, in baseball, in business, for understanding a piece of what has happened before and for predicting what might yet happen based on what has happened.

The Giants are a sub-.500 team and painful to watch recently… seemingly in large part because they’re not getting what are often called clutch hits, meaning, w/RISP. That’s what all the sports writers are saying, and many here as well, including myself.

So this is what I don’t get: James, you said “The point being, once again, that RISP stats are red herrings. The Giants have been horrible w/ RISP, but they are 9th in OPS, 9th in OBP and 9th in runs scored. Those are the relevant stats.” I get that OPS and OBP and runs scored are relevant… and I get what you’re saying about it being a coin toss whether they’ll hit in that situation… but they’re NOT hitting in that situation. So what I don’t get is, why aren’t the stats that are the numerical result of the team’s poor hitting w/RISP not relevant? The non-hitting in those situations seems extremely relevant; they’re losing more than they’re winning. What’s the disconnect that makes the stat not relevant? Just askin’ ’cause I don’t get it…

• James said, on May 5, 2012 at 11:52 am

What I’m saying is that over an entire year, you cannot control or even anticipate how well a team is going to hit w/ RISP relative to their overall BA. The Giants will not have a 60 point differential between their overall BA and w/ RISP at the end of the year. The stat that has historically had the closest correlation to how much a team scores is OBP, just beating out SP. For all practical purposes, the one stat you should care about is OPS.

What I also tried to point out is that many runs score without anyone being in scoring position, and that RISP situations are often created by hits. Runs also score w/o hits. Assuming a fixed overall BA, If you re-distribute hits to the RISP situations to “improve” your RISP avg, there is an opportunity cost to that. Here is one example: a home run with a runner on first does not count as an RISP situation. If that homer is instead hit with a runner on second, you have not scored any more runs, but improved your BA w/ RISP.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 12:11 pm

James is definitely the man to talk to. Basically, it’s that there aren’t clutch hitters, given enough sample size, virtually all hitters will hit with RISP just as they do in “regular” at bats. There’s plenty of reading to be had by searching online..

17. sandog said, on May 5, 2012 at 11:17 am

James-cool to hear you have a Woodland connection. Also let me know if you’re ever in SD to visit your son and want to see a game or have a couple of Manhattans and argue the merits of Fred Lewis as a ballplayer.

Twin-my PC from you is still my home unit and is going strong. i had an issue where I’d get 3 beeps and a blank monitor, but the same kid you helped set up the system originally came over and fixed it. “Reset the video card” or something like that.

• James said, on May 5, 2012 at 11:58 am

Another connection: The Wolves handed us our asses every year I played ball, too. Attending a game w/ you at Petco sounds great — I’ll be in touch some time later this summer.

• James said, on May 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Another connection: the Wolves handed us our asses every year I played ball. Going to a game at Petco sounds great — will be in touch later this summer.

• James said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

A game at Petco sounds great — I’ll be in touch later this summer.

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I want to know *why* Loo now hates the Kentucky Derby. It pains me to hear that. You’ve seen more races than I have. What happened?

My favorite sire of all-time. You were probably at Belmont that day…

19. James said, on May 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

ok, I just replied twice to sandog and neither posted.

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Hungry Island: Munch! Munch! Nice start to the PK 4 [no jinx]

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm

i better sneak in a baseball comment amid all the horsey talk…Pill in LF is once again a complete joke.
    They’ve been fortunate not too many balls have been hit his way. He’s due for a major fuck-up today.

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Aaron Rodgers is at the Derby being interviewed. (He likes Went the Day Well and Bodemeister).
    How come they’re not asking the 49er QB who he likes? Maybe because he’s busy giving out his picks for the $8,000 maiden claimer at GGF today. After all, that is his playing level.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Maybe rather than indulging in silliness, he’s at his foundation or aiding in a search for a lost or kidnapped child. Here’s a link where you can do something worthwhile in your life and donate to help foster children.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 12:42 pm

“Indulging in silliness?” If you call attending the Kentucky Derby, with all its rich pageantry and history silly, well, I guess who’ve been hanging out with Loo too much. I’m still waiting and expecting an answer from you Mister Loo.

And WTF would I want to donate and help foster children? I’m a guy who patterned his life after Foster Brooks and eats at Foster Freeze.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm

The Triple Crown should be for 4 year olds, not 3. And the field for the derby is way too large.

23. zumie said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Z, I really respect your baseball knowledge. Especially its history, but that was just ignorant of you to post that unfortunate tragedy. Seriously. Goddamn ignorant.

• zumie said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm

How was it ignorant? You mentioned the ‘history of the Derby.’ This is part of the history of the Derby. Some of the horses have died.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Three year olds are not mature enough for the grind of the Triple Cown. Any many are not sound due to breeding practices. The video from Z is a timely reminder that needed changes have still not been made to ensure that only sound, sturdy horses are entered-and at 4 years old, not three.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

The history of the U.S. has included slavery, church bombings and assassinations of its President. If I were to show a clip of each, would that be representative of this great country of ours?

You were just trying to put a damper on this great day for racing fans. If you don’t like the sport, that’s your right. But that was out of line. What’s up next for weekend on Mother’s Day? Showing clips of Joan Crawford beating her child with a wire hanger?

• zumie said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Actually, I need the literary guys to tell me whether I’m “uninterested” or “disinterested” in the Derby. Or is both possible?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Your 4 yo argument is total horseshit. You’re right about the breeding aspect. But don’t even get me started on that issue. I’ve been screaming that for years. And the increase of casino $$$ to purses has caused trainers to run unsound horses for the bigger purses. But that’s for another day.

It’s the fucking Kentucky Derby. Win or lose, I’m going to enjoy “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports” like I do each and every first Saturday in May since my Moms (God rest her soul) sat me down in front of the TV to watch Big Red in 1973.

Selections to follow…

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm

True fans of the sport should be clamoring for the changes that need to be made. Video reminders of terrible events have always been a part of the remembrances of those tradjedies. No better day to remember horses that were needlessly sacrificed..

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm

The only reason it’s 3 YOs is for betting purposes. At 3 the horses are not mature yet, and there is more uncertainty as to how they’ll perform.

24. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I think it’s becoming more and more evident who our “true” ace of the staff is.
    So he’s a dumb hick from North Carolina who blows “snot rockets” all the time.
    I don’t have a problem with that.

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm

As I said before ST even began…

• zumie said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm

If the Giants were in the playoffs, and the playoffs started today, you start Bumgarner ahead of Cain in game 1?

• twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Well, it might still be Cain so the RHers can be split.

25. zumie said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Here’s a dumb question. Is Dave Fleming broadcasting this Fox game? If it’s not Fleming, it’s his soundalike. And how did Fleming score a Fox game gig like that, over Kuiper?

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Little Mike just won the Woodford Reserve. Little Mike? How little they know…

27. Alleykat said, on May 5, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Twin…Coming on strong with his wire to wire victory on “Little Mike” in the turf classic!! Congrats Twin!!!

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:08 pm

PaGONE has a 19-game hitting streak, and I still don’t like him.

29. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Henry is parroting Flav’s thread about, “where are the bombs?”

But if you know me, and love me, you’ll that I’ve been saying for THREE years…
    “If we don’t homer, we don’t score.”

I know you’re still waiting on my Derby pick…good things come to those who wait. πŸ˜€

• Alleykat said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:20 pm

No Hurry Dennis, I’ve seen already picked the winner Dullhan on my 11:02 post.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm

OK, Kat. I marked you down as being on the horse who’s yet to win on conventional dirt.
        I don’t even want to hear about Animal Kingdom last year. That’s another thing wrong with racing…
        but as always, good luck with your selection. Dullahan is not for me.

30. Alleykat said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Just wondering if the Giants chipped in and gave Brooks Conrad a W/S share?

31. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

For the record, it hasn’t been too long since my last Derby winner…Big Brown in 2008. $6.80 to Win that day.
    Favorite once again today? Stay tuned…. πŸ˜€

32. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

And just as a FREE and friendly handicapping tip from yours truly as we approach the big race…
    speed seems to be holding at CD today. I know there’s a lot lined up for the Derby and many expect a pace meltdown and for a closer (Dullahan, Daddy Knows Best among others) to come closing and p/u the pieces and perhaps even win the Derby…I dunno. I’m thinking the speed (minus Hansen) and other pace setters might have the track bias when they turn for home…

“AND down the stretch they come…”

33. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Not only is Bumgarner our ace, he’s also our best hitter w/RISP.

Go you redneck snot rocking Tar Heel go!

34. manny said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Fucking Fox and its Saturday black out of games. These games are one of the big things I look forward to now that I am retired. I wish I had of got MLB.TV a few seasons ago, makes the season a lot more fun.

• Macdog said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’m with you. They finally get a lead and I can’t see it.

35. Alleykat said, on May 5, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Jesus …Pagan pull your head out of yoor “ASS.”You have to ketch that ball your the CF you call off anyone

36. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

And the hits just keep on coming…I know you’re you’re on the edge of your seat awaiting my Derby selection…
    keep your shirt on, it’s coming. πŸ˜€

37. eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Not blacked out here πŸ™‚
    Thank You KC, SΓ‘nchez who?
    Melky the rally starter

38. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Pagan: could be the only guy ever on a 19 game hitting streak who is *hurting* his team…

• Macdog said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Meanwhile in NYC, Torres has a 2-run single today.

39. eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

somewhere in that crowd there is a dude that stood in line to get me my Romo Bobblehead.

40. eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm

the fox announcers cannot stop being amazed at San Francisco getting some offence. ? first time the Gmen have had a lead for 43 innings?

41. eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Bummy is throwin lasers, but probably best to pinch hit for him.

42. Alleykat said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

What are you waiting for Dennis? Your Mint Julip to ice? Your horse pick to take a dump in the paddock?Making the jockey and the horse lighter.

43. eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Opps

44. eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm

dennis just got off his private jet in Kentucky and can’t post until the helicopter lands at the track.

45. Wilcojoe said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Didn’t Flav call an exacta on the money a couple years back? May have been a Breeders Cup race.

46. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

KENTUCKY DERBY

1. Union Rags
    2. Bodemeister
    3. Gemologist.

I’m a goddamn chalk-eating weasel. Would you expect anything less?

TRI 4/3,6,11,15,16,19/3,5,6,8,9101, 14,15,16,18,19.

Good luck.

47. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm

After that result, you’re goddamn right. I’ll Have Another drink. Loser. Happy for Doug O’Neill.
    i always said he looks like me — minus the beard. We both need to go on a diet.

48. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

The CA horses acquitted themselves quite well. Mario Guitirrez? He just made a name for himself.
    Very happy for Doug O’Neill. I’m one of the few members, and participants of his blog. His always does a “Top 5 List” a la David Letterman every weekend. Doug’s a good horseman with a good sense of humor. Congratulations.

49. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Really good to see Hector and Pill with some good swings, they’ll need those guys now.

50. eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Mil didn’t put ishi in for defence and it cost them

51. Alleykat said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:52 pm

WOW…I, ll Have Another just Fantastic down the stretch turning on the afterburners.Still I picked 2 out the top 3 with I’ll Have Another and Dullahan finishing strong for 3rd.

52. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Who has Casilla in our Flap fantasy league? I know I’ll probably regret this, but Greinke for Casilla?
    That screams of desperation on my part, but, I’ll be honest…I’m desperate for saves. Inquire within.

Ballgame!

53. eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 4:01 pm

who were those fox announcers?

• Nipper said, on May 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

They’re tiresome.

54. ewisco said, on May 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm

one was david b fleming. i don’t remember the other guy. never heard of him

55. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm

PaGONE has a 19-game hitting streak that has netted him only a .259 avg. and .286 OPS as we sit today.
    That’s gotta be the worst 19-game hitting streak I’ve ever seen in my life. And that “Duck Tail” or whatever the hell that is on the back of his head is unprofessional. Get a goddamn haircut.

• Nipper said, on May 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Haircuts ….boo!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Nipper, you’re OK with that shit? Not I said the cat. I come from the George Steinbrenner School of owning a team. I expect, no, I demand that my players look, act and conduct themselves in a professional manner that is representative of my ownership.

I have class. At least I like to think I do. And I’ll be goddamned if I allow my players to go out and make me look like a mook. I take pride in my team, my appearance and my respect for the game.

I’m an easy, fun-loving guy. But on this subject, I have to put my foot down.
        Get a goddamn haircut..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

“.286 OBP” He has a .739 OPS. But that still doesn’t get him off the hook when it comes to his hair…
      He still needs it cut. Might I suggest Neil George down in LA?
      I dare you to find a better haircut on a freckled red-headed girl than this…

56. Nipper said, on May 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm

The milkman delivers the goods.

57. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Good ballgame. Two of the guys who need to be big, were big- Melky and Posey. And Pill and Hector rebounded from some tough at bats. Take the series tomorrow.

• eddacker said, on May 5, 2012 at 11:57 pm

yes siree bob that was a good’n
      love watching my Gmen winin’
      one more please

58. paulinasia said, on May 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

James and Michael, thanks for your replies about my stats question.

59. twinfan1 said, on May 5, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Hope I helped. To muddy the waters even more, there are studies refuting the refuting.

• willieD said, on May 6, 2012 at 7:20 am

thx for bringing that to the Flap–what a great way to start or end your day. Never heard the story behind “john the conqueror root” tho.

60. James said, on May 6, 2012 at 9:22 am

I know some (most?) of you are probably sick of this discussion, and were hoping that Paul’s thank you was going to put an end to it . . . but I also just *know* that at least a few of you still think Bruce Jenkins isn’t just shaking his fist at the weather. If you look at the comparative RISP BA stats for the NL sorted by total RBI

with the team batting sorted by OPS

you’ll see that there is a closer relationship between that stat and the relative number of runs produced than the BA w/ RISP. The Phillies are an outlier for now.

Now, let the RIP’S to this thread flow.