A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Weirdo Stats More than a Month into the Season

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 6, 2012

There are some head scratching stats out there:

Chris Perez is leading MLB in saves with 12

Matt Kemp has 12 bombs. Pujols has 0.

Jason Hammel leaves Colorado for a much tougher league/park and he’s 4-1 with a 2.09 ERA and a 0.98 WHIP

13 teams have already changed their opening day closers (due to injury or ineffectiveness). THIRTEEN!!!!!

The Indians are in first place

Jon Jay is hitting .405

Joses Reyes and Elvis Andrus have 13 steals combined. Emilio Bonifacio has 13 steals all by himself.

There are still 23 batters (who qualify) hitting .200 or under. Last year not a single player ended the year hitting under .200

I’m in last place in The Flap Fantasy Baseball League

This madness can’t continue……..

1. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 6, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hector!!!

2. Macdog said, on May 6, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Yesssssssssss!

3. manny said, on May 6, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Good to win the series, now off to LA to play those bums.

4. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Agree w/ K (or K): Melky is our MVP.

5. twinfan1 said, on May 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Swell AB from Hector… getting Romo back on track was important- he’s the 8th inning guy. Too bad that Matt didn’t get the win- but it’s not about that- the team won, that’s what it’s about.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 6, 2012 at 5:04 pm

“Swell?” Golly Mrs. Cleaver. I haven’t seen your pearls sparkle like that since the last time I’ve seen ya.

6. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Turned on free MLB game and presto! Cubs tie Dodgers, though they might’ve won if they did not get greedy and try to score on the double. Looks like 1,763 fans at Wrigley.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Javy blew another save? Maybe now Donny Baseball will install Kenley Jansen as the closer once and for all. Doesn’t he know that I’m last in that category in our Flap fantasy league?

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I hope the Dodgers lose in 17. Makes for a nice flight.

• mrmrbill said, on May 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm

We went from 4st to 2rd in like … 2 days?

8. willieD said, on May 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm

donnie baseball’s pen just heimliched one in 11th vs. cubs: double off the glove of 3b, intentional walk to bring up pitcher in to bunt, who was beaned on inside pitch, then unintentional walk to win it for cubs.
    See how he handles things this season, but I don’t think PS acumen is his strength.

• Flavor said, on May 6, 2012 at 6:02 pm

well once he gets down the # of times he’s allowed to visit the mound during a pitching change he should be off and running. 🙂

9. St said, on May 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Hey, whatever happened to Stixwiz? Just read Bochy is considering Belt for the 2 hole. As I recall, Stix was always pushing that idea.

10. twinfan1 said, on May 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Big weekend for Hector and all who have nightmares of MORE WHITEY..he looked so bad in his 0-5 3 K outing, many like that and the boys would be enjoying Vera’s Ambrosia Salad again..

• Flavor said, on May 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Tired of Chris Iannetta as my regular cartcher in the Flap league I scoured the waiver wire this morning looking for a replacement. It was grim. I picked up Hector knowing he wasn’t playing today just because I’d rather have a catcher who I’m rooting for sit on the bench then a catcher who hits .200 for a team I don’t care about. His first game for The Mount Shady’s? He bats .1000 with a game winning RBI. Now you see, if you wanna impress me and earn more starts, THAT’S how you do it! This Hector kid just might have found a spot with the ‘Shady’s…..

• eddacker said, on May 6, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Good call mate, a second C for when Posey is catching and a few good pinch hits? Looks like you have a winner.

11. zumie said, on May 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Dave Fleming went on a bit, after the game, about how it’s a sad quirk of baseball scorekeeping that Cain doesn’t get the win, but Lopez does, throwing just 3 pitches total.
    I had a somewhat similar thought, though in a different direction, about the game on Wednesday. Bell came in as the closer for the Marlins in the ninth, with a two-run lead. He gives up a run and has other runners on base, but is replaced. The next guy comes in and the tying run scores. Even though it’s Bell’s run, Bell doesn’t get the blown save. The guy who came in with the runners on base gets the blown save. I know the scorekeeper can’t automatically assume that Bell is going to finish the inning, and the Marlins did still lead 4-3 when he left, but it was still odd that Bell could pitch so lousy, and leave a wretched situation for the next reliever, and not get the blown save himself.

• twinfan1 said, on May 6, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Well, it wouldn’t go to Cain anyway. And who the heck wants a scorekeeper making decisions about who deserved the win? ( I know of the circumstance where they do) . Much better to do it by rule, as it is. Who wants the job of going back over a hundred years and figuring out who should have won thousands of games? I don’t usually bring up what a players makes but in this case I think Matt’s 100,000,000 plus will help ease the pain..

• zumie said, on May 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Yeah, I agree with that. For all its quirks and supposed “injustices,” all those scorekeeping things are clear-cut and tidy. Once baseball, in the distant past, decided that pitchers would get tagged with wins and losses, it was never going to be a perfect system. But what they came up with works pretty well, overall.

12. zumie said, on May 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Btw- you get the feeling that K&K are able to influence the scorekeeper? Like, the scorekeeper has their broadcast on? K&K complain on the air about a ruling, and it gets changed. The scorekeeper this year doesn’t seem all that good.

13. zumie said, on May 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Red Sox lose in extra-innings. Adrian Gonzalez goes 0-8. Ouch.

• Flavor said, on May 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

side bar funny: I had a 5 game streak at *beat the streak* (mlb.com) and my pick today was…….Adrian Gonzalez. You can’t make this shit up, lol

• Nipper said, on May 6, 2012 at 9:32 pm

The cellar in a fantasy league is not the end of the world. Being out of cheap beer is damn close.

14. sandog said, on May 6, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I feel bad for Cain AND I feel bad for Heath Bell who came across as a great guy while playing here. Dude is having an awful year. Apparently he crossed paths with Rod Beck at some point and says his dangling arm bit is a tribute to Shooter….who helped him become a legit reliever. That story alone puts Bell on my short list of favorite non-Giants.

• Nipper said, on May 6, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I never feel bad for a ballplayer. They got it tough but the common man has it tougher.

15. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Went to Friday’s game. Section 315. Even from there, Timmy’s fastball was going high and wide for 2 innings. Nutty. Then he settles down just in time to get pulled and watch the pen give up the tie. Sat in front of a couple guys from Milwakuee. A 60ish guy and a 20 something kid. The kid was asking “where’s all the statues and shit for Bonds?” I said, see that tiny plaque on the brick wall above the 421? That’s it. He was saying things like not being able to get behind a cheater. When I mentioned Ryan Braun, he came up with the excuse train, and I said well, it’s a wash. Braun was caught fair and square. Bonds congressional testimony was leaked The older guy was talking about Clemens and the waste of time and money, and I agreed about it re: Bonds. Huge waste of time and money. The old guy also said that it was the coldest baseball game he’d ever been to. I was surprised to hear that. He said Muni Field wasn’t cold, it was too godamn humid. He said he goes to a lot of Toronto games, and they close the lid and heat the place. Too funny. I said shit, you shoulda gone to the Stick back in the day. It would be 20º colder there right now.

The game was going awful, walks, HBP, bad defense, LOB until the 6th. Good to see the guys finally string some hits together. The call at 1st was atrocious. Kinda slowed the inning down. By the end, the ump was nodding as if to say, yer right Boch, I missed the call. Good to see Pagan show the fire, but he’s has problems processing inforrmation. He was on 1st on a ball hit to the RF gap and he nearly stopped rounding 2nd, even though the RFer hadn’t even gotten to the ball. He made it to 3rd, but, I’m baffled that he doesn’t use his speed very well. And as we’ve seen these last few days, he makes Freddie Lewis look like Willie Mays. He’s hitting a ton, but criminy, it’s hard to tell if he’s helping or hurting the team. Cainer had to be pretty bummed about that route Pagon took. Bummie is 5-1, 2.31 era. Matt is 1-2 2.35 era.

I’m sure he’s a little chapped by this. With any decent run supp0rt, the guy would be 85-60 at the least. Sure he’s paid millions. Sure, people know he’s a great pitcher, but he should be considered one of the greats of his time. Instead of a sub .500 pitcher.

Anyhow, the G-men finally play LA. Bubbles vs. Lilly. Be still my heart.

• mrmrbill said, on May 6, 2012 at 11:01 pm

re: “Sure, people know he’s a great pitcher, but he should be considered one of the greats of his time. Instead of a sub .500 pitcher.” — The people who “know”, know. People who cast votes for awardz ‘n’ stuff, aren’t dummies. His stats belie the W/L record to anybody whose opinion really matters.

16. unca_chuck said, on May 6, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Dawg, I don’t remember Bell’s delivery to be so herky-jerky. He looks like a completely different pitcher that he was with the Pads.