A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Taming Those Dirrrrrrty Snakes

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 11, 2012

How quickly things can change in a year. The D-backs were rolling last year. They had tight starting pitching, a stud closer, hitters getting timely hits up and down the line up– I was so certain they would come back to the pack and they never did. Well, things haven’t been so easy this year–at least since we left town and gifted them a 3-0 record to start the season. Strangely, we are back in Arizona again, they don’t come to our yard until the end of May.

Let’s take a quick looksie at their gaps, shall we?

1) Last year Paul Goldschmidt looked like the second coming of Mike Schmidt. This year he’s been more like *GoldBelt*. Or *FoolsGold*. Take your pick. He’s only got a single bomb on the year, and while that bests our *good at bat* first baseman, he’s still coming up ant-small so far this year. Luckily, he doesn’t get to face Lincecum this series to fatten up that .611 OPS……..

2) JJ Putz has got some problems. And they are hard to identify. He’s got a 9.00 ERA in 10 innings and batters are hitting .333 off of him. Normally, I’d suspect a hidden injury from a guy who’s been injured as often as Putz in his career but he’s got 12k’s and no strikeouts. Still, he’s off and apparently imminently hittable these days……

3) Justin Upton is not competing for the NL MVP as so many predicted he would do this year. In fact, at .235 and a .679 OPS, he’s been horrendous. He had a couple of minor injuries so maybe he’s sludging through those, but he’s not someone to fear at the plate right now……

4) “Paging Trevor Bauer. Trevor Bauer to the white courtesy telephone….” Their starting pitching has been flat out bad this year. Ian Kennedy, so good last year, has been getting knocked around this year. Collmenter has already been replaced in the rotation due to general suckitude and the back end of that rotation is shaky at best. Two Winters ago I blogged about an unreal prospect that I had the pleasure of watching pitch at Sunken Diamond vs the Cardinal. This guy was 50% Lincecum, 50% Cain and 100% Nasty. Trevor Bauer was his name and I was devastated to see the D-backs draft him with the third pick in the 2011 draft. He will be up soon enough and while I’m happy to see the Giants and their rack of limp bats miss him in this series I am looking forward to seeing this guy pitch in the major leagues. He’s sickening……..

5) Ryan Roberts has sucked this year. Mr *Neck Tat* who came out of no where last year has been quite beatable this year. In fact, the corner spot OPS’ put up by Roberts and Goldy add up to an uninspiring 1.243. Not good from 2 spots that should be close to 1.600 combined….

6) On the plus side, Cody Ransom seems to be taking a nice cocktail of something. He’s twice the size as I remember him to be and he’s crushing the ball since he got called up a few weeks ago. Take a look at this guy this weekend and tell me he isn’t getting injected with something……

Hey, we are in a hitters park, right? So all these dead bats should start hitting, right? That’s what everyone is telling me so I am hopeful to see it happen this weekend………

1. Bozo said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Well that turned out a bit different then I thought. OK, Ryan Roberts is a stud and the L tat is on my forehead. Fuck.

2. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Anyone consider that we just might not be that good? Just a thought.

• TedSpe said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Next time you have a thought?= Let it go
      (gay-ass smiley face)

• twinfan1 said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Next time he has a thought nurse sedates him.

3. Alleykat said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Well do we really need Loux? Classic Flemming on the radio,shining up his impressive stats and couldn’t finishing them off before Parra hits a laser single to left.
    Just bring up Hembree now,WTF are they waiting on his time eligibility service?

• twinfan1 said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:30 pm

They are not bringing Hembree up to do mop up duty. Loux was fine. Comprendre zero runs?

4. twinfan1 said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Well, for those wanting a set LU, between injury and ineptitude, Bochy is getting close to having no choice.

• TedSpe said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

He hasn’t had a choice for 3+ years. And yet…WS Championship? 2010?
      I say we/they reincarnate, through macabre voodoo rituals re-animating dead ballplayers.
      Murderer’s Row? Fuck that.
      Zombie’s row.
      Smells bad but Babe Ruth’s re-animated corpse, with enough mustard poured all over his body? No one can tell him, nasally, from Bumgarner

5. unca_chuck said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Gawd It was only a matter of time before Pill blew one, Pill needs to stop playing LF. Crawford needs to go away. Anyone would be better. Hard to pin this on Bummie when he has to get 14 outs in the first 3 innings. Posey needs rest, not days at 1st.

• twinfan1 said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Yes, it was only a matter of time before a rookie learning the position made a mistake.

• Alleykat said, on May 11, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Agree Twin.I could actually see Pill at 3rd for a few starts.Better arm the Conor and if he screws one up its only 1run instead of 2-3. Arias definetly is the SS now.So Belt and Pill at the corners,Blanco CF,Melky RF,Pagan LF,Burris for now at 2Bthe with Cumberson or Brock Bond in the wings for now.And Posey only fucking catches period!!
        Sanchez only gets the lefties starts and maybe only Zits.

• DJLoo said, on May 11, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Nate’s gotta see time in RF, Kat…he’s emerging from his latest crater. You know Melky played plenty of CF in NY…

6. Alleykat said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Panda,Posey,Melky ……..Accurate Stat….330 AB’s 11HR’s 38 RBI’S……..Josh Hamilton…..116 AB’s…17 HR’S 40 RBI’S enough said.

• zumie said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Panda, Posey, Melky all have World Series championship rings, and Hamilton wishes he had one.

7. zumie said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

“Me wager against the 49ers, who have sent me to jail twice and the hospital thrice?”

Really? How so? (If you want to share the stories.)

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm

You want specifics? 49ers/Raiders. 1991? It was in Oakland. Moms, me, and the girlfriend, Sarah, headed down to Jack London Square for an early brunch. Eggs Benedict, shrimp cocktail, roast beast (Mr. Grinch) at the carving stating and mimosas were the standard. And shall continue…took a short jaunt to a nearby watering hole to watch the game…it went downhill from there. No scoring. Mistakes galore. Without looking up the box score, I believe all the pts. came via FGs. Any who, Steve Young fucked up at the end trying to win the game and the 49ers lost. WE lost to the fucking Raiders. Well, I grabbed a glass, bottle of beer, I don’t remember which and flung it skyward toward the ceiling as I used every word in the book.

I was leaving on my own after that, but the proprietors had other ideas…they called the Oakland PD and that was that. But that didn’t bother me. It was during that loss to the Raiders that I realized that Sarah was not a “true” 49er fan. I had no problem going to jail, but I had a big problem with my girlfriend not understanding why.

• twinfan1 said, on May 11, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Did Soph bail you out?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 11, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Soph bail me out? Fuck you. I’ve met Steve Martin. Bail on this Christian Bale…

• zumie said, on May 11, 2012 at 11:09 pm

You sure that wasn’t the 1988 game between the Niners and Raiders? The Raiders won the game 9-6, I think, and it was the low point of that season. The Niners improved after that, and of course went on to win the Super Bowl that season.

8. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm

BREAKING: Team K rolls into first place in the Flap Fantasy League. As for real-life baseball, meh.

• blade3colorado said, on May 12, 2012 at 6:45 am

Well, you didn’t think Chuck was going to stay there, did ya? Keep my spot warm, I’ll be there shortly.

9. DJLoo said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I fail to see the relevance of comparing Josh Hamilton’s stats to any combination of Giants. Babe Ruth used to out-homer entire teams over a season. and as I mention annually check out this HR stat from 1979:

Houston Astros: 49
    Dave Kingman: 48

The Astros won 89 games…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 11, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Mr. Loo, may I remind you for the umpteenth time. I have the 12-step alcoholic, Josh Hamilton, such as myself in the Flap Fantasy League? Josh is keeping me afloat. Throw in the brandy and the life preserver, and…well, and…tell me again how La Prevoyante should have beat Big Red in the voting? That’s right. Tell that to the hot dog vendor. Nobody gives a shit.

The Preakness? If I had to answer now, I’d tell you to take the first two finishers from the Derby and Box them right back in the Exacta and Key them in the Tri. But, hey! that’s just Del Mar.

10. EdGdsnInExile said, on May 11, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Absent the call-ups Twin suggests, here’s how I see it:

Blanco CF–until he proves he can’t hit
    Burriss 2B
    Melky RF–most consistent so far
    Posey C–keep him steady but more breaks
    Pagan LF–he’s doing nothing to get on base at top of order
    Belt 1B–his light .270 gets another 100 ABs, then its Fresno. I’d play Huff thereafter regardless.
    Gillaspie 3B–for defense
    Arias SS–for defense
    Pitcher

I’m ambivalent about 2B: Theriot seemed to be having more productive ABs. Burriss seems a little too anxious for SS right now. Nate gets occasional RF start, Huff occasional LF and 1B starts. Nate, Pill, and Sanchez are best PHs.

11. St said, on May 11, 2012 at 10:22 pm

That still looks like 81 wins to me.

• DJLoo said, on May 11, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Which would be fine if they add 6 more Wild Cards…

• twinfan1 said, on May 12, 2012 at 7:40 am

.500 ball could actually come close to getting the 2nd WC. But to believe they’ll only win 81 I think you have to believe that Tim won’t come around and that Panda’s return won’t help.Or you could be named Dennis.

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 11, 2012 at 11:52 pm

What’s the difference between praying in church and at the track? At the track you really mean it!

And I’ll be goddamned if I get suckered into going to church again…the track? send a goddamn limo.

• Alleykat said, on May 12, 2012 at 6:57 am

What’s the difference between Michael Jackson and a jockey?
      It’s legal for a jockey to mount a 3 year old.