A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Giants Take Down Brewers in 14

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 22, 2012

The first two hitters in both of those line ups weren’t exactly *setting the table*, were they? Blanco, Crawford, Hart and Aoki combined to go 0-22. Yikes.

I didn’t have a problem with Bochy letting Bumgarner pitch to Braun. He had pitched brilliantly and if you think Bum is going to take the next step to where Tim Lincecum used to be then you leave him in those situations because those type of special pitchers will win that battle most of the time. I think Braun forgot what inning it was as well as the fact that his home run tied the game, it didn’t put them ahead. His celebration coming out of the box should be reserved for a walk-off hit, in my opinion…..

When Pablo comes off the DL I fully expect Arias to slide over to 2nd base with Crawford holding sway at short stop. Second base has been a black hole this year and Arias will fill it. Crawford has had his struggles periodically but he’s the best short stop we have and he’s a doubles hitting MACHINE—at least as far as our team goes. If he can take a few more walks and keep banging out the semi-regular double I don’t have a problem with him staying in the two hole for the rest of the year……..

1. blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:00 am

Weatherproof games: Rockies-Marlins, Blue Jays-Rays, Cubs-Astros, Giants-Brewers, Dodgers-Diamondbacks and Rangers-Mariners

Both Tigers-Indians and Mets-Pirates could be delayed by rain for their 7:05 p.m. starts, but neither game should be pushed back by more than 30 minutes. Red Sox-Orioles is likely to experience thunderstorms in the later innings, but the rain should pass through pretty quickly in Baltimore.

2. willieD said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:07 am

I didn’t see it, but flems wasn’t too happy about the error that allowed braun to bat in the first place. By all accounts bum pitched a good game; but crawford’s error was at a critical time, obviously. The last guy you want to see up there in that situation was braun–he could have been leading off the 9th down 3-1. Had Sf lost that game, crawford was gonna get a lot of heat.
    You got the full casilla if you stayed up to see it last night, and what a show: the AB was epic youtube stuff, then he goes out there with blazing fastball and a killer curve, plus a high hard one for a wild pitch that hector couldn’t get a glove on, and another in the dirt to the last batter that he did for a great block (with a runner on first that could have been in scoring position).

3. willieD said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:24 am

wasn’t off work yet so I didn’t hear about how this one went—Pill hits a gb to 3b with melk on there and one out and they cut melk down at the plate, messing up an insurance run in the 7th. Have an idea, eh? Giants have been great at getting the sac fly lately, even from little guys like Arias to drive in runs. Pill is getting to be notorious for this, and in that park anything he can pull and get into the air can obviously leave the yard. Aaargggh! It’s just dumb baseball ina rbi situation, and he’s not a clueless kid anymore.

• Alleykat said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 am

Willie…IMO. ..Bochy should have gone to the bench with Huff or Belt against the RH pitcher in that spot to PH for Pill.Brain fart play by Bochy.
      BF…I disagree about staying with Bum to face Braun.Yeah he should of never got up thanks to Crawgaggy,but Romo has been lights out all year and the look in Bochy’s face after the jack was l fucked up surly second guessing himself.

4. Bozo said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:41 am

I got the Brewer’s feed for the game. I don’t know who their TV crew is and even if they sound like they went to the Uecker school of broadcasting, one of them calmly got off a great line on Casilla’s wild pitch in the 14th – “And, he hit the bull”.

5. DJLoo said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:49 am

I’ll never understand why no one ever gets the intentional walk treatment that Bonds got.
    Sure hope Blanco doesn’t go into free fall in the leadoff spot.

• willieD said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:57 am

in that case ramirez would have been go ahead run at the plate tho. that’s a guy with plenty enough pop, esp in that yard. braun’s a good player, but not in bonds class. Interesting to see what he does without prince in the LU and morgan struggling. brewers aren’t doing very well, barely able to stay ahead of the cubs.
      Loo, how do you think old school mgr. would handle crawford if Sf had lost that game?

6. James said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:01 am

For what the stat is worth, which ain’t much, the limped-dick, 24 year old wash out at first has the highest rate of doubles per AB on the team.

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:00 am

Craig is now looking for a new stat that he hasn’t heard of yet that will show that actually, Belt is slightly behind the doubles rate that Eli *would* have if given the opportunity..
      Crawford will not remain the 2 all year, this is temporary, Bochy is not an idiot. Your 7th or 8th best hitter among the regulars doesn’t man the 2 spot. If Fruckie doesn’t take it, they’ll likely put Melky back.
      Despite all the bad mouthing, it’s difficult to believe that Bochy thinks Pill or Huff are acceptable replacements for Belt everyday.Sandoval will not be moving to first, and neither will Buster other than the occasional start that Bochy gives him, that we all hope becomes MORE occasional. The sensible LU when Panda is back:
      Blanco
      Melky
      Posey ( although he might be 4th)
      Panda
      Belt
      Pagan
      Arias
      Back to the 8 Mudbug, and no lip ( possible he flips Arias and Crawford)

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:34 am

Too bad Franchez hasn’t been able to get healthy. This LU looks good to me.

Blanco
        Sanchez
        Cabrera
        Sandoval
        Posey
        Pagan
        Belt
        Arias
        P

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:39 am

Fruckie is a questionable 2 as well. In the two he’s the result of traditional but faulty thinking that a scrappy little fart who can bunt and hit flares the other way is the MAN, making small ball types all squishy inside. In fact, the two should be one of the 2 or 3 best hitters on the team, a guy being paid to HIT, not get handshakes for successfully executing the 8 hop grounder to second base. Melky is perfect as the proper 2 hole hitter.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

I agree Mke…and again (as I always do), the one change I would make is to flip Pagan and Belt. Pagan’s splits between 5 and 6 are nominal, but with Belt, the difference is significant.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

I agree that Cabrera is good in the 2 hole. After posting the LU above I was thinking it would be nice to see Belt hit his way into that spot enabling a switch of he and Sanchez. One reason I like Cabrera better at 3 is it pushes Posey down to 5. I just don’t think he’s a true clean up hitter and Sandoval would be better there.

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:53 am

The benefit of Pagan in the 6 is that it’s ideal to have a base stealer ahead of the 7/8 shitty hitters. With 43 career AB in the 5, I don’t take Belt’s numbers there too seriously.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:58 am

Not sure what you mean Twin as I was suggesting either the 7 or 2 spot for Belt. Rosterbation aside, the return of Sandoval will be good.

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:12 am

You want your best hitters getting more at bats than the worst ones, that’s one of the basics of Line Up Building 101 and why Mudbug will not be enjoying a long and prosperous stay in the 2 hole.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:24 am

Yeah, I know. Thanks Twin.

7. dirntrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:08 am

Nice win last night.

This one is for you Flavor

tinyurl.com/bn8bpjl

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:46 am

I Pity the Foo who fucks with Craig! Looking mighty fine in them tight jeans…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:51 am

HAHA, good one Chi. That is a great stand up. I was trying to explain that one to my wife recently. She’s not real good with cultural references and just gave me the blank stare.

8. zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:28 am

With the amount of walks that Belt gets, Bochy could be tempted to bat him in the 2-hole again, but that would put Crawford back in the bottom half of the lineup, and leaves the 6-9 spots with way too little pop. Belt is a nice potential #2 hitter. He even has some speed. Nice stolen base last night.

9. willieD said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:43 am

exciting night all around the NL: dodgers light up DBs pen for 4 late runs and win 6-1 (james loney much maligned with 2nd HR of the year)
    moyer given a 4-0 lead is crushed for 6 earned in 4 innings as stanton slams him, rox lose again 7-4 last in west
    t-greene hits 2 run bomb off cashner for a blown save L for the pads who had rallied for 2 top 8 vs. motte who gets blown save and a W
    couple stanford grads j. castro and j. lowrie hit bombs as stros pound garza and cubs (15-27, worst in NL)
    gio gonzo goes 6 shutout as nats edge phils 2-1—how can A’s dump this guy who is now 6-1 with 1.98 ERA?
    pitt wins 5-4 on 3-base error by mets rook OF in 8th inning, as andres continues to slide 0-4 .189
    reds pitcher Homers and shuts down braves 8 innings 2 hits one run for 4-1 W. all five runs in game on solo HRs…that’s right nip the pitcher homers….NO DH!!!

• zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:45 am

D-Backs in danger of getting buried early.

10. willieD said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:54 am

last rant of the day, promise: check out what pops has to say to alex pavs about his boy Timmy. Public posturing from someone worried about an investment tanking, or do you buy his evaluation and zito-esque trust your stuff remedy? Does a team thinking of signing TL realize they get a package deal? How would another team’s pitching coach/mgmt. feel about having pops hovering vocally on the airwaves? How much of what he says does TL filter out as most younger kids would getting advice from a parent about their game performance, esp when it is so publicly voiced?

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:47 am

Where can I check it out W? KNBR?? CSNBA???

11. dirntrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:08 am

I read that piece too and it sounds like the old man is trying to buck him up a bit. Good point though. I remember seeing in the past that Raghetti didn’t do much with Lincecum in regard to his delivery. They’ve been together a while now so I wonder if that is still the case. Chi’s link yesterday had some interesting point in regard to Lincecum’s mechanics.

If Lincecum doesn’t get his act together teams will be more worried about his performance.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:51 am

No way in hell (especially if things continue as they have) that Timmy is the big FA on the market in 2014. I have said it a couple of times, and I will say it again now…I am SO FUCKING GLAD that the Giants did NOT ink him to a long-term deal this past off-season. We kicked it around ad nauseam, and the most (what I remember) that most Flappers wanted was 3 with an option…maybe 4 with an option (at this point, even that would have been hard to swallow). Tim’s agent (supposedly) was asking for an EIGHT YEAR deal…that was a NO FUCKING WAY even before the season started.

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:24 am

Bullshit Chi . . . I’ll let them speak for themselves, but GH wanted five years and there were quite a few in his camp that wanted the same or even more years, i.e., citing loyalty to Timmy and other garbage reasons. Quite frankly, other than Flav, Twin, and myself (only ones I can recall, although there might have been a couple of others*) – from the get go, we said two max with an option year (and I was perfectly fine with the two it ended up being). Timmy gave us his best prior to this year and I’ve maintained he has plateaued and will have diminishing skills going forward. How fast that occurs is the question.

* Speak up if you also were for this.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:39 am

Wo Big Boy…calm down – I was going on what I recalled (and my 54 year old gray matter ain’t what it used to be). If there were others clamoring for 5+ so be it. Again…my recall sucks on stuff like this.

I was down with 2…possibly 3 with an option, max.

I do agree with you that we have probably seen the best of Timmy. Can he re-invent himself, where accuracy/pitch placement and deceit are his strengths (think Greg Maddux)? I don’t know…only time will tell.

On a different, but related note, I do believe it is time for the Giants to focus (draft) on starting pitching, again. When we had Wheeler, I was not as concerned. But, Vogelsong is no spring chicken, and Zito…hell, the whells can come off at any time. With 81 played in our yard…I think the primary focus of building this team should remain pitching.

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:45 am

Chi, this is before you returned to the Flap, so it has nothing to do with your memory . . . You don’t have dementia 🙂

We went back and forth on this before and during Spring Training, up to the point where Tim finally signed the 2 year agreement. We should all thank our lucky stars that Timmy insisted on 8 years, because I bet dollars to donuts, that the Giants might have bit on that ridiculous deal too (as you pointed out).

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:53 am

*Ridiculous deal as in 5 years.

• ewisco said, on May 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I believe i was in the 2-3 year crowd. I didn’t think they could get him for less than five though, which i’m pretty sure i wasn’t good with. of course my gray matter isn’t what it was either. I like the new sabean, nothing over 3 years with very few exceptions (cain being one).

12. St said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:14 am

Didn’t get that Tim’s Dad is interfering at all but simply responding to some questions. And in fact, he’s quoted as saying when he talks to Tim, “it usually is not about pitching.”

13. denniszu said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:39 am

Best play was Arias’s seed to eliminate that bunt attempt…Kid can hit too… Reminds me a little of Alfonso Soriano… 2nd best play was the 2 foul catches by a Giant fan both in the 1st inning…
    I wouldn’t have been upset if Bochy put Romo in for Braun.. Madison was getting up there and Romo’s slider would have been nice to see Braun wiff on.

14. Nipper said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:43 am

I like their mascots.

15. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:57 am

I didn’t have a problem with Bochy letting Madison go against Braun. Yes…he was at 110 pitches, but 79 had been for strikes (10 Ks and only one walk). Hell, he started Braun 0-2…he just made a mistake and left one in the zone. And while Braun is not in the league of Bonds (reference to the walks etc. earlier)…he is a guy that if you leave it up, most times he is going to make you pay.

Someone mentioned hoping that Blanco is not tanking. I am not worried about him (even with his 0-6 last night). He is still by far the best option in the lead-off.

Nate? WTF…0-5 with 3 Ks. Sit the fuck down.

Arias continues to impress. 2 hits and two killer plays in the field. The bare-handed grab/put-out on the bunt was fantastic!

Cain on the hill today. 2.67 ERA, but 4.42 on the road. Get a win today and it’s another series win. GO GIANTS!

16. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:13 am

Found the Merc News piece on Chris Lincecum/Timmy. Here is another I found from Bleacher Report.

17. unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:33 am

When Timmy said 8, all bets were off. There was no reason to even mentally jerk off to it back then. The choices were 2 or nothing, really. The was no way in hell the G’s were going to go 8 years. They weren’t ready to go 5 with him. Timmy laid the groundwork his whole time here by opting for 1-2 year deals. HE didn’t want to go long term until it was to his acute advantage. Well, the worm could be turning . . .

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:35 am

Ditto Chuck . . . Essentially what I expressed to Chi in my 10:24PM post.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:42 am

And I responded to your post. I was NOT one of those wanting a long-term gig for Timmy. I was definitely not on board with the 8 being asked by Tim/his agent. I was an emphatic HELL NO on that one.

I believe the max the Giants were offering (or said had been offered) was 4 plus a team option (and I didn’t even want that…thinking 4 was too long).

18. Nipper said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:40 am

Too soon to rip Timmy.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:44 am

We’re not ripping on Timmy, Nip…just discussing length of contracts that were discussed amongst the Flappers, etc.

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:48 am

Exactly. Timmy gave us his all for quite a few years. As any ball player would say – “It’s a business.”

• unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

No one is ripping him, Nip. The Giants, early on, wanted to sign Timmy to a long term deal. He resisted. Instead opting for short-term deals until he was closer to being out from under the Giants control. Now that he IS getting sloer to the end of his term, he’s (as of now) getting a little shakey pitching-wise. So, the foot is on the other hand now.

19. Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:57 am

the longest deal I’d ever be cool with (for a pitcher) is three years.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 11:10 am

So, you do not think that Cain’s or Madison’s deals were good deals for the club?

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Mostly, signing Cain allowed us to not worry about signing Timmy since I’ve never believed that the Giants would commit 70 mil a year to 3 pitchers. This was before MadBum signed his deal so it might be a little less than 70 mil a year.
        But no, if I was GM I wouldn’t sign a pitcher to longer than 3 years……

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2012 at 11:06 am

I didn’t chime in on length of the deal but have said trade Lincecum more than a few times. Hopefully he gets his head out of his arse and rebuilds some equity.

21. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 11:12 am

Chuck – 11:05…”so, the foot is on the other hand now.”

What the fuck you drinking this morning, my man? LMAO!

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 11:17 am

Yes Chi, this is an old Hungarian gypsy saying, once removed from a Chinese fortune cookie. 🙂

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

It’s actually a Ted Striker line from “Airplane.” But with Chuck one never knows if it was intentional or not. Chuck would be better off having Manny Mota pinch hit for his comments. Chuck, you have to concentrate…concentrate…concentrate…echo..echo…

• unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

“Now pinch hitting, Manny Mota-Mota-Mota

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

The only thing falling faster than Trans American flight two-zero-niner is Chuck’s fantasy team.

23. unca_chuck said, on May 22, 2012 at 11:56 am

Shit, all my pitching staff took a collective large smelly dump in May . . . 1st to 8th with a bullet!

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm

In my opinion (not worth squat) – you “sat” on your team, only making 6 moves. Meanwhile, everyone else in the Flap league made 18 (next lowest) to 78 moves (highest). You have some good pieces Chuck, but the majority of your team was performing way, way above their career averages and/or expectations, e.g., Martines, Jeter, etc. All of them were good “sell high” players.

Don’t believe me . . . Ask Flav, who wrote the book on sell high and sell low players. In any event, the season is still young, so you are still in it as much as anyone else.

24. DJLoo said, on May 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm

If Blanco does go down the drain in the leadoff spot, I wonder who auditions next. Melky? Arias? Pagan again?

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm

His average would have to fall below .200 before I would go there. His OBP is still .386.

25. eddacker said, on May 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm

interesting stat pulled from the 40 game milestone:
    Carlos Pena, who is hitting .209, has reached base more times (66) than Andrew McCutchen (64), who is hitting .340.

don’t tell me I can’t do research. pffft

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Hmmm…BA match up as you say. But here is what I get:

Pena – H 32, 2B 7, BB 29, HBP 5 = 73

McClutcheon – H 49, 2B 8, 3B 1, BB 13, HBP 2 = 73

Did I miss something.

Still, with the big difference in BA (and OBP) it is odd (if my numbers are correct) that have both reached base same number of times.

• eddacker said, on May 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm

yes, it had to be walks, or as your stats show HBPs

26. twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm

As soon as 8 years was mentioned, it meant that Timmy’s people felt there was a good chance he’d never pitch to the end of the contract. We’re seeing why. Cain’s 5 year deal isn’t the wisest decision either, but they pretty much had to do it because one way or the other Tim is gone after next year. The coup is Bumgarner, who seems to have been advised by the 2nd best lawyer in Gooberville…
    goobs

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I would agree with the Cain and Bum deals, Mike. If the Giants didn’t lock-up Cain for 5 (or more), the Dodgers or someone else would have. With our team being so dependent on pitching…I would rather us have Cain than another team…especially one in our division. Cain in Dodger Blue…OUCH. Bumgarner was a steal.

So, if Timmy comes around this year, and begins next year looking reasonably well, do you think there is any chance the Giants make a play for him? His stock is certainly on the decline right now.

27. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Here it is:

Blanco RF
    Crawford SS
    Cabrera LF
    Posey C
    Pagan CF
    Huff 1B
    Arias 3B
    Burriss 2B
    Cain SP

Huff Daddy with the start…you knew it had to happen sooner or later…

• mrmrbill said, on May 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm

7 Arias 3B
    8 Burriss 2B
    Cain P

• mrmrbill said, on May 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

chipowered

29. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I got the line-up from Alex’s piece in the Merc, today. Check out this link from the bottom of that article:

And check out the GIFs on Casilla’s AB (Casilla jumping out of the box, and Casillia swings…that is some funny shit!

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm

These are at the end of the link (blog piece) I posted above.

30. Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I give Belt some shit now and again but most of that is an indirect swipe at the many bloggers who think a player should get handed a job without actually earning it. But I have nothing against Belt and hope he steps up and produces consistently at some point.
    Having said all that, I am 100% against Huff ever getting a start at first base in front of him. I know the gm is underway and I’m intentionally not checking on it till I get hm a little later so he may have hit a bomb in his first ab making this post look foolish—I don’t want Huff starting, ever, I want him off the team for good. His time here has passed…

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm

He earned it with his minor league performance and the way young players have earned it for decades-with spring training performance as well. We all know that those numbers can be misleading but you know and I know and all of those blessed with a brain know- that jobs ARE earned by ST performance. So he earned as much as any young player in years here earned it. What he didn’t earn was benching after 3 games…and please, the post telling me to get his dick out my mouth was not in keeping with the rules you ask olf others.

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Do you listen to Kruk or Kuip in the morning? They say the same thing I do: at this level, the only thing that matters is performance and production (things you USED to say before your pet Belt started, uh, not doing that). Today, Kuip said “in SF we don’t develop players, we are here to win now. Teams like the Pirates can trot out Pedro Alvarez everyday and they’re fine with him striking out in half his at bats because they’re ok with developing players at this level–but we don’t do that in SF”— he said this in response to a question about Belt. Look, this isn’t about me vs you. Bochy, Kruk, Kuip —fucking baseball guys who understand the game—are all saying the same thing: Belt hasn’t taken advantage of his many opportunities this year and produced the way a first baseman needs to produce. I happen to agree with them. You aren’t right just because you say you are and your dog and your cat agree with you. Have you entertained the possibility that Bochy, Kruk, Kuip etc actually know what they’re doing with this guy? Of course not, you have way to much hubris to ever defer to the guys who are actually making decisions that affect the team. It’s easy to pontificate from your couch. If Belt were to start producing in his at bats don’t you think Bochy would appreciate that? Or is he secretly wanting him to fail? There’s a reason he doesn’t play regularly and it’s obvious to anyone who didn’t spend so much of his time in spring training calling for him to start– honestly, this Belt thing is more about your blown call on him than anything else. It would be nice if you admitted that (Huff, Pagan and Pill too, by the way)…

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I said to *get off his dick*, not get his dick out of your mouth. And I don’t feel like that was over the top at all for 2 reasons: 1) it’s sarcastic and untrue and an expression, it’s not directly swearing at someone or putting them down.and 2) I didn’t go on and on with it. The MAIN rule I have here is to not go on and on and on and on and on with shit. Say it, end it, move on. Try it sometime.

• James said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I think Bochy is seeing what I am: Huff takes better good ABs than Belt. I’m looking forward to the Pill – Belt – Huff – Posey rotation.

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Or maybe the Pill-Belt-Huff-Posey-Hector-Panda- Fruckie first base rotation.

31. zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Sheesh, what’s up with Burriss? That was insane, for a guy trying to stay in the big leagues.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:00 pm

His Wiki Page forgot to mention that he plays with “great hustle.”

32. blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Arias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. Macdog said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Arias rising!

34. manny said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Arias, woooooooooooooo. Keep hammering them boys.

35. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm

And Burriss again bunts w/ 2-outs and the P due up next. Only two reasons to do that 1) try and get himself kicked off the team and 2) royally piss me off. He’s accomplished one. Hopefully by tomorrow he’ll be 2 for 2.

Fuck him.

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Will someone please explain to Del Mahvelous that a bunt single with two out and nobody on is no different from any other single. In fact, those are perfect situations for Burriss to work on his bunting. That is all he should be doing in that situation.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Are you sitting down? Comfortable are we? Good. Now hear this: Fuck you.

36. James said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Pierzynski and Walker — now *those* guys were great Giants . . . .

• zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:37 pm

It’s tough for Pierzynski….going through life with a “punch-me face.”

37. zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:43 pm

You see the Brewers fans in the crowd….and you get the sense that Americans are the biggest humans on the planet.

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Eat hamburger helper or meat loaf, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and wash it down with a case of beer. Voila! Is it any wonder that they are obese?

38. Macdog said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Always fighting the East-coast bias here. Helluva throw by Melky in the 1st, but after showing the replay to my co-workers, they’re mocking Kruk for declaring, “If there’s a better player in the game right now, I wanna see him.”

• zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Kruk made a point of saying “right now.” Kemp’s not even playing right now. Pujols completely sucks. “Right now” status is kind of wide open.

• Macdog said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Buster blast!

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm

That might have gone 500 feet if it were allowed to finish it’s journey

39. zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Well, that explains a lot- we learned that Selig is taking advice from George Will.

• James said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Tough to hear Jon Miller was a buddy.

• zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Yeah, that’s disappointing. Kind of like when I read that Mary Tyler Moore was a big Bill O’Reilly fan. Laura Petrie just ain’t the same to me anymore.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm

If she were still 21 and strutting in Capri pants, she likely wouldn’t be an O”Reilly follower. He might be harassing her like he did his female producer, but that’s another story….

40. manny said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Holy shit where did that hit, Posey with the bomb!!!

41. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Great call Loo!!!

42. zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Buster heating up is a very good thing.

43. Macdog said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Watching the Giants tee off on Marcum, I can’t help but think of Flav fleecing me in a deal for Kimbrel last year in the Flap league. I coulda won it all had I not made that trade!

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Haha that’s funny. Sorry about that dude but it’s time to let it go. We all make bad moves in the course of a season

44. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I believe all 10 of our runs thus far this series have come via the HR.
    If we don’t homer, we don’t score. I’ve been saying it for years…

• James said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I was almost disappointed Casilla didn’t cough up a run or two last night.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I thought for sure we were gonna get to Axford when he came into the 9th tied at 3. We had ’em on the ropes. I was all locked and loaded for another NON-save diatribe.

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Casilla was in in a non-save situation.

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Both closers were in in non-save situations. I thought you did the spiel regardless of the outcome.

• Macdog said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Almost. First two runs tonite were an RBI double and a sac fly.

45. James said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Blanco is no longer earning his playing time. Watching those called third strikes, you can’t do that shit — you gotta protect with 2 strikes.

46. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Weeks just missed that pitch. WTF is his problem this year?

47. James said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm

At least Weeks didn’t go down looking . . . .

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:04 pm

You’re sort of wicked, James. Even when I’ve been on the wrong end of it, I appreciate it.

• James said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I just got called insensitive for failing to clear all of the dishes. There are reasons for hanging with fellow geezers.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Sort of Wicked This Way Comes — coming soon to a theater near you

48. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Just caught the replay of Melky’s throw. Sweet. A strike to the plate and a sweep tag. Aoki couldn’t believe it. Rowand would be proud of that toss. (For the 87th time, I will always be grateful for Rowand’s throw in the 2010 NLCS and Posey’s catch.) MLB.tv giving me all kinds of trouble on the video. Go, Giants! (Did y’all hear about Cincy y’day: same fan caught back-to-back homers!)

49. mrmrbill said, on May 22, 2012 at 7:57 pm

(getting the game on late) … okay, so Buster got Loo’s second. Nice! Who else was the list?

50. Macdog said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Awright!

51. James said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Really great to see things evening out just a bit for Cain.

52. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Casilla, often overlooked since he got here in 2010, does the job. Nice win. The Brewers announcers were saying how Casilla was just not very good with the A’s, but he had a different name, too: Jairo Garcia. I didn’t know that. PTBNL. Literally. Way to go, Whatever You Want to Call Yourself!

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:25 pm

his saves are infinitely easier to watch than Wilson’s. He had one that resembled a Wilson, but that’s it. He’s been a rock (except when he’s been in the batters box) 🙂
      Affeldt had the line of the year: “It looked like someone was shooting at him”….That was fucking GOLD……..

• willieD said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:37 pm

is that on youtube somewhere yet? f-ing hilarious.

• mrmrbill said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:44 pm

willieD, chipower posted some an article that has some links to it, 2:26

• blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:00 pm

OMFG . . . That is gold. Is he afraid to stand in the box?????????????

53. Alleykat said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

How about them Giants!!!! 3 games over. 500 for the first time all year…WOO HOO!!!! Where’s Ferret? Miss ya Gal.

54. twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I saw him as Casilla with the A’s. Not sure when he changed it- OK, I checked, he became Casilla after the 2005 season. So he pitched as Casilla for most of his A’s career also.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm

OK. I’m cool. Even I sort of changed my name here, once I outed myself via my book. I’m thinking Emilio or Dario for my next name. I’m learning toward Dario. Dario Wallenburger. Or maybe Svendqvist.

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm

It is often astounding how little many announcers know about the opposing team.

55. Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:31 pm

It’s been tough to watch Torres slump like this but at least he *gets* what it takes to stay at this level. I’m not waiving him because I think he’s going to come out of this but he’s on my bench this week……
    “Mired in a 1-for-32 slump, Mets center fielder Andres Torres was benched Tuesday against the Pirates in favor of Kirk Nieuwenhuis. “To be honest, I haven’t done what I’m supposed to do,” Torres said. “This game you have to make your job. You have to get it done. And I feel bad that I haven’t performed like I wanted. But I’m here. I just have to find a way to get on base and get hits and things like that.” “

• Alleykat said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Gotta hand it to Sabean,”He Bent over the Mets and Royals” in both his trades for Pagan and the Melk Man!!!!! Brilliant moves!!! Melky is an All -Star and Pagan a valuable piece of the puzzle as well.

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:47 pm

He ABSOLUTELY bent over both of those teams. Take a look at what DIrrrrrty, Torres and Ramirez have done this year. They’ve been nearly worthless to their teams and we got 2 players who have about 110 hits between them in the middle of May.
        Sabean *schooled* those 2 GM’s……..

56. Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Or you *free Belt* guys could just listen to HIM: (from Pav’s story a couple of weeks ago at the Merc)

Belt, 24, knows there are cries for more playing time, but he’s not about to join the chorus.
    “Nobody said this was going to be easy,” said Belt, who is hitting .250 this season and has a .231 career average. “This is something I might have to handle over the entire year, maybe over my entire career. You have to go out there and earn it.”
    Does Belt feel that he has done enough to earn an everyday gig?
    “I feel like I’m getting there,” he said. “I don’t know when you reach that point where it’s good enough, but every day I have to go out there and try to earn my spot.”
    *Earn your spot*. At least he *gets* it. Now let’s see if he’ll *earn* it……..

• James said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Belt’s OPS has mostly been between the low to mid-700’s. That he’s done that without hitting for average or power is a minor miracle, not a reason for benching him. Do you want to see more of Pill?

The fact that he hasn’t played regularly is stupid managing, plain and simple. Who knows, at 180 PAs I might even be ready to join you in thinking he’s a tentative pussy who’s never going to make it. If he had a 710 OPS over those 180 PAs, the Giants record would be no worse than it is right now.

• sandog said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I’d be all for Belt earning his playing time if we had other viable candidates to play 1B. Since we don’t I’m totally fine with handing him the job with no strings attached.

57. Wilcojoe said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I still haven’t see a clip of this Casilla AB everyone is talking about, but if memory serves didn’t he have a similar AB last year…I think it was in Florida.

58. twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:52 pm

He wouldn’t be expected to say anything else. OK- who did “earn” the job?

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm

EVERYONE is saying it: Bochy, Kruk, Kuip, fucking Torres and fucking Belt, ME and YOU USED TO SAY it. Then you stopped once Belt never actually earned it but you said he still deserved it.
      Look man, every at bat is an opportunity. Every start is an opportunity. You just don’t get them for free. Everyone, including you, knows this……..

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Who earned the job? Spit it out.

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Who earned the job?

• twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:02 pm

You wanna go by your stat de jour? Who should have the job?

59. sandog said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Just got home and checked out the highlights on MLB. Kinda disappointed there are no posts referring to Crazy Horse’s catch. If you had to pick one play to sum up Pagan, that play would be it for me. lack of instincts-raw athleticism-boneheadedness-great hand/eye coordination all wrapped into one play. Love me some Crazy Horse, but its a constant back and forth with him of doing things that help and hurt the team.

• zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm

We definitely learned on that play where he got the nickname.

60. twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Yeah, it was a very good terrible catch- but it *was* a catch and a lot of fun. Unleash PaGONE!!!

61. twinfan1 said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I’m going to bed. I earned it.

62. zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Pagan forgot the number of outs on that play. That’s the second time he’s done that in about a week or so. That’s pretty inexcusable for a major leaguer.

63. zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Overbay just went over-swimmingpool with a solo shot to put the D-Backs ahead of the Dodgers. Can they hold the lead?

• mrmrbill said, on May 22, 2012 at 9:49 pm

watching w/ great interest to see if we can *finally* make up some ground … happiness is only 3 outs away.

• zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Poop on a stick.

• zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:16 pm

That’s my analysis of Putz’s performance.

• zumie said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Pooooooooop!

• mrmrbill said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

yea…. that didn’t really work out so well. What a putz! Looking forward to tomorrow’s sweep! 🙂

64. blade3colorado said, on May 22, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Those two videos of Casilla are frickin’ hilarious. I have never seen a MLB player bail out that many times in a single AB. Too funny.

65. eddacker said, on May 23, 2012 at 12:31 am

Did I dream it?
    Did my Gmen WIN a game with a score of 6 – 5?
    fan freakin’ tastic