A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Stop Calling This a Mechanical Problem

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 26, 2012

When Tony Gwynn Jr and someone named *Chris Coghlan* are the dudes who are beating you, you’ve got major problems. Mike Krukow keeps yapping about this being entirely mechanical and every time he says it I say “No, it’s not” out loud to myself in the car. Maybe I’m a *head case* because I talk to myself in the car?

If I called Timmy a *head case* many Giants fans would take a step back, gasp, and yell, “WHHHHAAATTTTT?!!?!?!?! How can you call Timmy a *head case*!!!! You’re calling him weak! You’re calling him crazy!!!! You know NOTHING about ANYTHING!!!!”

But instead, if I said to the same Giants fans, “A big part of pitching is mental” they would look at me calmly and in full *knowing dude head nod* approval say, “Of course Big Flavor, you’re right again.”

So whatever you want to call it, using a definition from the Urban Dictionary or Webster’s, I am saying that Tim Lincecum’s problems are rooted on the mental side *mas* than they are rooted on the physical side. And anyone who reads this blog knows that I’ve said this for weeks now…….

And now, to the trial. Wouldn’t it be great if they were all this quick?

“The prosecution calls Witness A (Tony Gwynn Jr) and Witness B (Chris Coghlan) to the stand, collectively.”

“Raise your right hand, do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?”

(They don’t say “I do” they both just give me a knowing dude head nod)

“Did you each get a hit off 2 time Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum with men on base and the game on the line?

Both nod, knowingly.

“Have you either of you ever done this off a 2 time CY winner before?”

Both nod their head sideways.

“The prosecution rests……”

Here’s a chart of his game last night. As you can see, the FB was fine in terms of velocity.

1. blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:42 am

This dude Richardson said, “When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.” I am applying this to Sabean. This is why . . .

Sabean needs to start thinking of a future without Timmy . . . umm, like very soon. As soon as Timmy gets it rolling again, Sabean should consider trading him THIS YEAR FOR MAXIMUM RETURN. However, it may be too late for that maximum return if this is as good as Timmy gets. Obviously, if that window has closed, then we are really fucked.

Regardless, if he waits until next year, Lincecum could be worth a bag of balls and a player to be named later. I’m serious about this . . . We are in the midst of Lincecum going down hill and I don’t think he returns to Cy Young status, much less – please don’t strike me dead for saying this Lord – Zito status.

Mark my words – Sabean needs to put on his “Mets hat” thinking cap and get us a “Wheeler for Beltran” like deal this year, BECAUSE NEXT YEAR WILL PROBABLY BE TOO LATE.

• Salty Dog said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:14 am

Meanwhile, Wheeler is having an outstanding yr for the Mets AA team.

2. blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:53 am

Weatherproof games: Giants at Marlins, Brewers at Diamondbacks, Angels at Mariners. Hot weather with temperatures in the 90s are set for Texas, Atlanta, Cincinnati, St. Louis and Baltimore, where a thunderstorm may arrive on Sunday. Other weekend wet spots in the forecast are Minnesota, Chicago and Pittsburgh on Saturday, Boston on Sunday and New York for both days. Partly sunny skies in California, with the temperature in the low 60s for Oakland and the low 70s in Los Angeles.

• DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:06 am

I know one place there won’t be a weekend wet spot: My apartment

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:25 am

I just don’t ever tire of it…. 🙂

• Wilcojoe said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:57 am

Now that is pure gold!

• Wilcojoe said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

Of course Loo’s “transistor radio” comment yesterday wasn’t bad either…

3. DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:07 am

Whenever I see the word “moreso” in print, it takes a few seconds for me to realize it isn’t Spanish.
    That friggin’ Beltran is having some fuckin’ year. Or the other way around.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

there, I fixed it. 🙂

4. willieD said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:23 am

fwiw, sutcliffe on espn last night said basically the same thing as Twin, that TL doesn’t have command of his fastball and added that he hasn’t since ST. I didn’t see anything yesterday except highlights, which showed TL leaving pitches up and out over the plate that got hammered, kinda like what I’ve seen before. flems on the radio bemoaned the fact that two guys who haven’t done anything all year got the big whacks that helped do him in.
    It’s kind of odd to watch the bottom of the order guys he used to blow away, do him in these days. He is still K’ing hitters at a good clip, but WHIP and BABIP are way out of line….hard to have confidence without success, and vice versa. He had the “bad august” before, so let’s see if he can pull himself up and out of bad april and may.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:54 am

Are there In-N-Outs on the east coast? Someone get him some double doubles. Animal Style.

• mrmrbill said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:49 am

Nope … they’re only as far East as Texas, AFAIK. There is a “5 Guys” in Miami, though.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

Had 5 guys a couple time in MD. A little greasy for me but pretty good.

6. Alleykat said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:30 am

That “Someone named Chris Coghlan” still was a “ROY” winner back in O9,hitting .321 yeah he’s struggled to get back to his glory since his childish act of a shaving cream pie teamate tearing up his knee running away.
    I could easily see him beating Timmy on occasion, But Freakin Tony Gwynn Jr,No way that should of happened, his Old Man and his 50 inch waistline Yes still possible, JR No way in hell he beats you.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:46 am

Wow, you’re right but I have no recollection of him at all. I went back and checked the voting results:
      Coghlan won
      JA Happ was 2nd (I think he pitches for Houston now), Tommy Hanson was 3rd, McCutchen 4th and Loo’s *main man* Casey McGehee was 5th.
      Rounding out the top 10 were Randy Wells, Garrett Jones, Everth Cabrera, Dexter Fowler and Gerardo Parra….
      Outside of McCutchen that is an underwhelming cast…..

7. willieD said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:41 am

87 runs scored in the AL last night in only 7 games (versus 60 in NL 8 games) that featured 20 bombs…yanks hit 3 out, and it wasn’t a nice night here, cloudier and cooler than normal. Anyone going to watch them, or manny in sac (big article on him merc online today)? According to chron 33K in the mausoleum last night, so I’m sure east coast was well represented.
    SF did get 14 hits and take out J Johnson last night after 5, with 9 hits and 3 ER against. What happened on the pick off play with belt where loux got the error and marlins got the final run (which was costly)?
    POTD is a good one—stros last year f-ed with us late last summer, and that was one of the signs to me it wasn’t going to be our year to come back vs. DBs. But i gotta agree with bozo, SanDawg’s 6:30 re:DJ Loux on the mound, is tops.
    Btw, look at the LU for dodgers last night and tell me that’s a winner—gordon, herrera, gwynn, hariston jjr…

8. denniszu said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

Timmy may be having mental mishaps; but in the majority of his meltdowns he seems to be looking sharp with K’s and punching out of base jams till the 5th; and then it just looks like his mechanics play a part with missing targets badly and then the wheels fall off… I hope Rags can do his magic.

As for the offense, I’m seeing no letdown and a fighting spirit that says they believe in themselves..
    Huffdaddy put a smile on my face with his drive that almost went out… Also can’t discount his defense on a great snag in the 4th… You can chalk him up as a ‘need’ for his tutoring, leadership and occasional breakout on the field..

• DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:03 am

I was thinking that they might be taking a last look at Huff before they decide what to do with him…

9. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:53 am

“WHHHHAAATTTTT?!!?!?!?! How can you call Timmy a *head case*!!!! You’re calling him weak! You’re calling him crazy!!!!….you’re you’re calling him a GOMEZ!!!

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

heh heh heh. twin wrote Gomez

10. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:08 am

Great, Coughlan used to worth a shit. Gimme a frigging break, Kat. He was hitting .106… uh, not a STRONG .106.
    What compounds it that Buster and Timmy throw him a frigging slider, it looking like they were feeding the guy..

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:14 am

It was a curve ball, not a slider. Either way, Buster has to share the blame for calling the wrong pitches. Again, in my opinion, he’s throwing to many off speed pitches

• Alleykat said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

Yeah I know he was hitting a weak ass .106 Twin.But he sure is a better hitter then Burriss or Crawdads. Timmy could make a mistake to those 2 and still get away with a 48 roller to 2nd.

11. Alleykat said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:14 am

I’m scared that neither he nor his dad seem to know what is wrong.Of course, they could just be playing it “close to the vest” and working on it privately. But haven’t they been pretty open about the mechanics in the past?

12. Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:35 am

In my opinion, Tim should stop throwing so many cutters and just go with the 4-seam. He seems to get in trouble with the cutter as well as all his off speed shit. I’m not saying throw the 4 seam exclusively, that would be dumb. But he’s got more control of the 4 seam and he can throw it harder.

13. zumie said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

Tony Gwynn, Jr. is hitting .290 at the moment, and has helped the Dodgers get to firstplace. It’s a myth that somehow “getting beat” by Tony Gwynn, Jr. is the most devastating thing ever.
    There’s no evidence that Tim is some kind of “head case,” whatever that means. He’s not performing well, overall, but by that definition a big percentage of major leaguers are “head cases” any given month.

14. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

As I clearly pointed out last night, Huff didn’t hustle on that ball that landed over Stanton’s head.
    Bochy admitted as such: “Errors and base running came back to haunt us, as they should. Those things shouldn’t happen on the field.” “Huff said he just lost track of what happened,” Bochy said. “He didn’t see where the ball went.”

Good one, Daddy. He who listens to announcers and not the horse winds up with hoof in mouth.

You can read the entire transcript at http://www.csnbayarea.com/ Which btw, has put my little poll on its front page now. They really must be hurting for material today. 😀

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:49 am

I see it now! And I voted. For Zito.I’m a “13 percenter”!!!!!!

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:59 am

hahaha

• zumie said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

If your point is that Huff should have ended up on second on that play, I don’t see how that would have happened. Pagan had to hold up to see if the ball was going to get caught. In fact, the ball almost DID get caught. There’s no way Huff could get to second on the play, IMO.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:57 am

I guess you’re calling Bochy a boob. Huff should have been right on Pagan’s ass.
        Instead, he was lollygagging and hadn’t even reached first base yet. Look at the replay if you can. Huff posed after his swing like he hit a homer. No excuses.

15. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Martie Lurie this morning called Timmy’s start last night a “step forward.”
    Yeah, as he’s leading a pack of lemmings of the Cliff’s Edge. (son of Gulch)

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:55 am

*son of Gulch*—I find it amusing when you work a horse racing family tree lesson into your posts about baseball.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:07 am

I’m sure I’ve told this story many a times before, so I’ll keep it brief. I had a dream the night before that Gulch would win the ’88 Breeders Cup Sprint. Sure enough, my dream came true. As usual, my answer when people ask how much did you bet, I give my standard reply: Too much when I lose, and not enough when I win.

• Alleykat said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:02 am

Well usually it’s a Zito start where “I’ll have Another”drink.Now I’m moving over to Timmy as well.

16. Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

The only thing mildly positive about Zit…I mean *Tim* is that he was throwing his 4 seamer 93 consistently throughout the game. Now, if he throws that pitch more often, he might get somewhere.

17. zumie said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

Well, the Tim-bashing is already super-tiresome. See you all later for a while.

18. paulinasia said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:01 am

Great and funny post, Craig. Agree, doesn’t seem mechanical, although that’s probably what they’ll call it once they fix it (I’m optimistic) since it sounds better than fixing a head case (although they’ve got that going on, too, with Huff). If I was in charge, I’d skip Timmy’s next start and instead have him go out to a nice quiet beach, doesn’t matter which coast, and smooth round stones out into the surf, sometimes randomly, sometimes with some wave as a target, short, long, skipping stones, long-tossing toward the horizon.. forget about everything, just throw. And enjoy that sunset. And if that doesn’t work, find him a new supplier of whatever he’s stopped smokin’…

19. paulinasia said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:03 am

… should say “toss” smooth round stones…. stoned… huh?

20. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:04 am

Well, I shouldn’t have trusted “the Dweebs”, they said it was a slider. Whatever-a shitty breaking pitch..
    Z, very people don’t agree that a lot of this is in his head- Tim has said so himself.

21. Nipper said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:07 am

Leave Timmy alone. He’ll figure it out eventually while most of you will stew about it. Stew away flappers!

22. paulinasia said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:07 am

And one more thing, as for the comments that Posey is calling the wrong pitches (or too many or too few of certain pitches), is that true? I don’t know, you all see the games, I see very little. Is Tim always throwing what Buster calls, or is he shaking Buster off a lot? It would be interesting to compare statistical results to shake-offs.. who’s choosing the wrong pitch at the wrong time sometimes…

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

No comment: Blanco RF, Theriot 2B, Cabrera LF, Posey C, Pagan CF, Pill 1B, Arias 3B, Burriss SS, (Bumgarner P)

• Nipper said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:17 am

Best posting so far. At least it’s short and to the point.

24. Alleykat said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:19 am

Man do they keep a “Shake Off Stat” in baseball?
    Thought that was only in James Bond movies they kept Stats on his Shaken not stirred Martini’s.

25. paulinasia said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:23 am

Shake offs compared to results, good and bad. Like a lot of stats, it would probably come out close to 50-50… But when it doesn’t, that’s meaningful. Just wondering how that could apply to Timmy’s one bad inning syndrome…

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

I don’t notice Tim shaking off Buster ever, but I will pay more attention to that now that you brought it up

• EdGdsnInExile said, on May 26, 2012 at 11:02 am

I wouldn’t think shaking off the catcher is a real accurate measure in that both pitcher and catcher know what is working or not working for the pitcher, although they might differ on what they think the hitter can handle. In this case, if Tim can’t locate his fastball, Posey would call for what he can locate, even if he ‘should’ throw a fastball to a .106 hitter. That he didn’t execute the slider/curve/whatever is another issue…

26. TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 11:01 am

God I miss Sandoval

27. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 11:01 am

Tim has thrown his fastball less and less over the last 3 years- that’s well documented. So I doubt that Posey is the one relying more on breaking pitches.

28. Wilcojoe said, on May 26, 2012 at 11:06 am

Is it just me or does a really good IPA have the same aroma as kind bud?

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 11:08 am

Excellent buds

29. TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

I admit, Room B non-baseball bullshit but…
    Today is the birthdate of John Wayne. It is *also* the birth date of Peter Cushing. IMDb recognized Wayne but not Cushing.
    Tomorrow is the birthdate of Christopher Lee (living) and Vincent Price (deading). I have a betting pool on which or both will be recognized by IMDb. Any takers?
    We now resume our regularly scheduled programming. This is Frook and Fryke on Baseball. Enjoy the ballgame.

30. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 11:19 am

For my fellow Vungo addicts, he returned to the LU today- singled snappily to left and scored on Hairston’s 3-run Homer.He flied out in his next AB..

• EdGdsnInExile said, on May 26, 2012 at 11:49 am

Twin, Mets visit DC June 5-7, the last a get-away 1 pm game. I’m planning on grabbing a CF seat and yelling for him…

31. Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Loo—I’m about 60/40 gonna be at Belmont for the Belmont this year. If I come, I trust we can secure a face 2 face meeting? It would make my year!

32. James said, on May 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I agree with Zumie on Lincecum — he’s no more a head case than Gomez was. His fastball has been at 93 pretty sporadically. I still think the loss in velocity is the biggest factor in his decline. The line drive % is 25, much higher so far this year than any other season. He’s probably never had great command, and now he’s easier to hit. I’d bet that if his avg velocity goes back up between 91-93 over the season, his numbers will improve accordingly.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm

he was throwing his 4 seamer between 91-93 all game yesterday till Coghlan knocked his ass out……..

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I added a velocity chart from last night’s game to the main thread so you can see for yourself.

• James said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm

His average for the season is 90.1. Last year it was 92.2. That’s the relevant stat, not what he did in one game. I’m suggesting that if he throws 91-93 on avg. the rest of the season, Tim’s bemused mental state will magically give way to the clarity he seeks.

33. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I submit to the Flapper Kangaroo Court that until Timmy’s ERA dips below Zito’s, he be referred to as Gomez.
    He’s beyond the point of being a headcase. Gomez if fucking Looney Tunes.

34. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Well, “head case” might be harsh but the theory that his problem is largely mental has more credence than any other.And it’s hardly just bloggers proposing it. It should be pretty clear that, whatever the velocity, he’s no longer confident in his fast ball. Since his other “best pitch”, the change, relies on the fastball to set it up, he’s not throwing his best pitches when he should be throwing his best.

And sorry, a guy with two CYs and previous excellence does not deserve less flak when he lets the team down, he deserves more.Some cling to the bizarre notion that trashing a player who doesn’t have the talent to excel is cool, and a guy with all the talent in the world should be immune. Wrongo- totally bass-ackwards.

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:07 pm

————————————————————————————————————
      On the other hand, when he’s throwing his worse, the worse come off worst which could be the best of the better if it wasn’t worse

• SanDawg said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:10 pm

…which brings us right back to Hank Kimball on Green Acres.
        Anyone got time to throw up a scene featuring Mr. Haney???

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:17 pm

• sandog said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Bravo TedSpe!! I forgot about the always needing to climb the telephone pole to make a call bit.

• James said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm

He’s not been confident in his fastball for good reason — it hasn’t been that fast. I certainly agree that if there’s one player whose crappy performance has damaged the Giants record the most, it’s Timmy.

• twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Well, if he can’t gain command and confidence in his fastball again, this is no pitching slump.It’s thanks for the memories.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Me and many others were hard on Sanchez for his mental disposition
      This Gomez doesn’t get any slack. At least not in my book..

35. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Not 5 secs after my post Bochy said on his pregame show to Jon Miller…”(Gomez) has some things going through his head. ” What’s that old joke? If you had shined a flashlight in Gomez’s ear, you could have seen clear through to the other side. Gomez needs to go see a shrink.

36. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Our 2B situation is a star just waiting to go supernova. Black hole.

37. Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Uh oh. Kruk just referenced Reuter. That usually gets K/K going for at least 2/3 stories about that gay Shed

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:19 pm

You’re right. That shed always *did* have a kind of DELIVERENCE connotation to it

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:20 pm

“Anyone seen my woody?”

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Then there was the musical version of DELIVERENCE. It closed at intermission. An example of the numbers:
        “SQUEAL like you know me SQUEAL like you need me”

38. sandog said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I’m off to the course. Here’s hoping Aqualung throws a gem. Can’t wait to come home and read the comments.

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Looks like Loo might have made it to Belmont. I like the 4-5 Ex Box here in the Sheepshead Bay S. with both horses keyed to “my” 5 in the 9th in the DD. Good luck.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:24 pm

5-4 at the wire. Ca-Ching! 8)

40. mrmrbill said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Streamers, take note: Kos’ is in process of getting married (and the last minute planning that goes w/ it). Don’t expect many games from now through … end of June(?).

41. manny said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm

The house is a uproar here, Burriss with a double. Finally a extra base hit for the guy.

42. TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Yang !!

43. manny said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:46 pm

All kidding aside, Burriss did come through for the Giants on that run scored.

• mrmrbill said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm

yup. just shaking my head that it’s his first xbh of the yr. Season’s nearly 1/3 over — one double. Not like asking for the second coming of Ted Williams but …

• snarkk said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I’m looking forward to his next double in early June 2013 — in Albuquerque…

• mrmrbill said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

As things stand today, it wouldn’t hurt to put Kuip’ back at 2nd.

“Our on-the-spot, live reporter…”

44. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm

And really all kidding aside, that hit and score could have punched someone else’s ticket out of town.

• twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

OK, maybe we’d better leave the name on that ticket blank.. But Pill should have thrown to home

45. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

So much for a “shutdown inning” from Stix’s Undertaker. Have ya heard the one about…

A man and his ever-nagging wife went on vacation to Jerusalem. While they were there, the wife passed away. The undertaker told the husband, “You can have her shipped home for $5,000, or you can bury her here, in the Holy Land, for $150.” The man thought about it and told him he would just have her shipped home.
    The undertaker asked, “Why would you spend $5,000 to ship your wife home, when it would be wonderful to be buried here and you would spend only $150?”
    The man replied, “Long ago a man died here, was buried here, and three days later he rose from the dead. I just can’t take that chance.”

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm

😀

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

by and large, I think most jokes are dumb but that one was pretty funny

46. snarkk said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm

1. Why Pill doesn’t throw home to prevent the run from scoring and maybe get the DP to first is beyond me; instead he starts a very difficult DP scenario to 2B. Belt makes the right play.
    2. Burriss — WTF was that throw? Panda can’t get back soon enough to get Arias to 2nd. They should can both Burriss and Theriot, and get somebody else for the utility IF role. This is beyond ridiculous now…

47. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm

So Burriss accounts for 1 run in the top half then gives up 2 in the bottom half.
    Again, am I more pissed off at him or Bochy for writing his name in the lineup card?
    It’s Memorial Day weekend and we still lead the league in errors by a comfortable margin.
    “Houston, we have a problem.”

48. snarkk said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I call for more Giant situational bunting all the time. So, Melky, en fuego on a massive hitting streak and smoking just about every ball he hits, leads off the inning with a bunt for an out? Help me understand that…

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

absurd.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Totally absurd. How ’bout the other day in Milwaukee when Braun bunted and missed on that 1-2 pitch? Flemming and the crew speculated on the radio that was Braun’s way of showing his displeasure about playing day games at home. If that’s true, that’s more punk-ass than anything he ever pissed into a cup.

• twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Simply a miscommunication,Denny. Melky thought the pitcher was up next..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:50 pm

“I don’t care who ya are, that’s funny right there” 😀

49. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Noonan may get his chance- it’s always dicey when a guy can’t hit at AA but is over .300 in the PCL..but the kid was considered the second baseman of the future not long ago.They’ve been playing him on the left side, but he can play second as well.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm

If Noonan does, be prepared to get bombarded with Caddyshack jokes.
      “How about a Fresca?”

Shit. That might’ve been our best shot with Melky and Buster up.
      And the Fish tack on another one. “When it’s time for change, think SpeeDee Oil Change and Tuneup.”

50. snarkk said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Why don’t they save time and SF pitchers’ arms, and just GIVE Stanton 2d base every time he comes up?
    Have a good weekend Flappers…

51. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Anyone shocked by that base running blunder by the Crazy Horse?
    Didn’t think so.

52. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 3:02 pm

And Burriss sits there frozen, like a statue and takes a called third.
    He should have bunted. 😀

53. TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Man there’s some gruesome looking people walking around the Miami streets. They need to hold off on those candid shots
    THERIOT !!

54. Alleykat said, on May 26, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Geez Burriss Stinks…Can he just bunk up with Kyle Williams in the Witness Protection Program somewhere?

55. Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Heath bell looks fatter to me so i think Kruk is, once again, just breaking this down to mechanics.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 3:54 pm

And what I mean by that is, everfuckingthing comes down to release point to Krukow. It’s such a simplistic approach to analysis.

• Alleykat said, on May 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Arm Slot Baby!! With Krukonutts it always Arm Slot especially with Jonathan Sanchez fucking still drives me crazy when he says that shit.That and his boner for Rowand when he’s in his usual 0-26 streak and hits a bleeder and says that linedrive is the one that will turn it around Woo-Hoo and of course it’s his last bleeder for another month.

56. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Heath Bell would be better off expressing his love for Fidel.
    He’s Public Enemy #1 in Miami.

57. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Damn. Well, at least Blanco went down swinging. And thanks in large parts to Bell, we made the T9 very exciting. Another crucial E cost us 2 runs. Starting to sound like a broken record.

58. DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Sorry DMD, didn’t make it to Belmont – turned back due to an accident on the Belt Parkway (no it’s not).

Flav: What’s up with your Belmont plans? Last time I was at THE Belmont was 1978 of course. I always go the day before. Planning a whole NY trip? Ever here before?

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Yes, I’ve been to NY before but not to the races. My buddy and I think *this is the year* and while he’s made the trip out 4 previous times (all failures as you know) this would be my first trip to see it. I’ve got to get a child care thing fixed first but if that works I am coming to NY, baby……..
      The trip would be: leave out of Oakland at 11:30pm Friday night,land in NY at Sat 8am—Belmont/Party/Hotel…. Fly out of NY Sun morning at 6am.
      Pawlie, you better get your ass there, too, if I make it out there. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Well, keep me posted, will ya?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:02 pm

No problem, Loo. I appreciate the fact that you had me in mind.
      Dullahan worked a snazzy 1M at CD this morning. Dale Romans’ Ch. 3yo is sitting on a corker.

59. blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I’m watching the Reds and Rockies game. Let’s see if I have this mathematical formula correct:

Rockies hitting + Reds hitting X band box X no pitching = high scoring game. 4-1 Reds 2nd inning.

60. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Josh Hamilton just hit #20 in the B13 to win the game for the Rangers.
    Blade, you still think I should trade ’em?

• DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Even more mind boggling when you think the Giants might not have a 20 HR guy for the whole season…

• Nipper said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Loo is mind boggled!

• Nipper said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Grab a cold one Dennis….or two…

• blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Yes, if you want to win the Flap league. Like I said before – Hamilton has only lasted a full season once in his career. Couple that with everything you need – you’ve mentioned a need for saves/pitching – I would maximize his worth, i.e., he is the ultimate “sell high” candidate. What’s the gambling term – “parlay?” I would parlay*
      that MOFO for 2-3 good players. See 2. below . . . Or, you could do what you normally do. lqtm. 🙂

*par·lay (pärl, -l)
      tr.v. par·layed, par·lay·ing, par·lays
      1. To bet (an original wager and its winnings) on a subsequent event.
      2. To maneuver (an asset) to great advantage: parlayed some small investments into a large fortune.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm

You forgot one…from the “Pirates of the Caribbean” parlay: Part of the mythical set of pirate laws. Parlay entitles its invoker with free passage to negotiate with a ship’s captain until the negotiations are complete.

That’s CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow!

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:23 pm

In my business, we call that abritrage

• TedSpe said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:28 pm

In Dennis’s business, they call it a Dutch book

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm

There’s no way in Hell Dennis gives up Hamilton. That’s the crux of his team, if Hamilton was gone the house of cards might fall… By my memory, he gave us 3 *locks* for the 2012 fantasy season (there could have been more): Brennan Boesch (I’m sorry, I’m not sure which is gayer, his name or how hard it is to spell his name). He’s middling around at .259 with a few bombs. Then there was Zack Cozart who is also hitting around .250. And his final pearl was Alfonso Soriano who is hitting…..260, with a few bombs, 1 sb, 9 runs scored. I think he also like Adam Dunn who he actually hit on since the dude has 15 bombs so far (but at .239 that’s a tough average to carry). So if I’m right about Dunn, then he’s got *one*. The other 3 weren’t worth touting……
        I’m in no place to judge others, I’ve been mired in the bottom 3 all season. But I will emerge victorious…..

• blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Flav, Dennis will confirm this (or maybe not 🙂 ), but when I gave him my advice, this was prefaced by, “I have no interest in your players.” Oh, I almost forgot – it was precipitated by a ridiculous trade offer – his Howie Kendrick for my Mike Trout. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA . . . Still laughing about that one. Might as well offered me Howie Mandel.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I probably shouldn’t have said anything, dudes in 10th place aren’t supposed to say shit. But I am slowly rebuilding the team I was auto-dealt and I’m a few moves away from storming the castle. Dennis has a fantastic offense but his pitching staff needs a lot of work. And yes, that’s coming from the guy who is LAST in ERA and WHIP. But again, I’ve spent the first 2 months of the season getting rid of a bunch of starting pitchers I never wanted in the first place (who sucked), plus I’ve had to deal with Lincecum, plus I didn’t have a single closer on my team at the start of the season (thank you Kevin) —- (since fixed with 2 trades (for Hanrahan and Axford) and 2 WW pick ups (Soriano and Cishek–who is about to take Fat Bell’s job).
        Denny’s batting average, already bad at .261, would dip hugely if he lost Hamilton for pitching and you can’t win a fantasy league if you have the worst batting average in the league. He better hope he stays healthy. 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I said Adam “I’m not” Dunn would win the CPOY Award. That’s looking good. Cozart was a FA p/u. Worth a flier. Boesch was a sleeper I targeted. His OPS has gone up .169 pts from April to May. L7 it’s 1.071. I’m sticking with the kid with the “gay name.” The Soriano comment was a joke intended for Chuck. Alfonso was autopicked for my team. Pussy way of drafting. But what I didn’t mention and I what I did do with my pre-draft rankings was move up Bourn: check. Move up Dunn: double check. Move up Cargo: triple check. And move up Hamilton: Slam Secretariat’s Salami 😀

• blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Nah, you’ve won in the past Flav – I fully expect you to be right there at the end of the season. I even expect Dennis to be there too. We all know who’s paying attention and who isn’t (i.e., making bad moves or just sitting on their team). In short, I welcome your comments. 🙂

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm

That’s OK, Blade. Go ahead and laugh at my Howie Mandel for Trout offer. I recall you offering me Heath Bell for Kenley Jansen. LOL And, yes, Loo, I AM laughing as I type that abbreviation. I see you’ve subsequently dumped that POS off to your cousin. Nice relative you are. 😀

• blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Yes, I feel bad about that (not!) . . . But both you and my cuz paid me back in spades – him by waiving Brandon Phillips and you by having a higher waiver priority than I did. I sent him off a couple of text messages after that brain fart of his.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm

he’s waived Montero and Phillips, what the fuck is up with that?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Yeah, Brandon Phillips falling in lap was a godsend. At the time, I was #1 on the WW. He wasn’t getting by me. I was thankful I remained patient and didn’t pull the trigger earlier and in a desperate move for saves go and grab Dolis from the Cubs a day or two earlier. My patience paid off. And I p/u Clippard off the WW just last week. Looks like he’s the new Nats closer. He got his third save today. 😀

• blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Believe me, he heard about both from me. He thought it was the OTHER Montero (after I pointed out what you had told me). Overall, he is doing waaaay better than what he received – not absolutely certain, but that team was languishing in last place or next to last.

61. DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Parlay bars were a big item in a candy store I worked in about a century ago…

62. Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Loo, Pawlie (and any other Flapper in the NY Met area on June 9th): I am now a single child care problem away from booking my flight to NY so…..it is *nearly* on……..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:10 pm

You know with the Triple Crown on the line there’s going to be 100,000+ people in attendance that day. No fucking way in hell could I do that. That’s one of my core issues I discuss with my therapist — I can’t handle large crowds. Forget about the 100K at the track, I become a nervous wreck if it gets crowded at Safeway.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Walmart, where I was today, is worse……
        If I can traverse Walmart on a Saturday, I can do Belmont on a Saturday…….

• DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:16 pm

That’s why I stopped going to the Belmont, DMD. I think when Affirmed won it there were less than 70,000…

63. DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Walmart has a real no-nonsense shoplifting policy…

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:38 pm

If you haven’t been there since ’78 then you should go there on June 9th. He’s gonna win it. How many people in the WORLD attended the Affirmed race and then not a single Belmont since and then show up on June 9 to watch history? You’d be the only one. I’ll fuckin’ flag a camera down with my bigness and tell the world your story, dude. You can sit atop my shoulders. Do you have a elf outfit anywhere in that apartment? That could make it better………

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm

In fact Loo, if you show up to the Belmont to meet me I promise to carry you on my shoulders the entire day. Come on, that’s a day of meeting me PLUS getting a free ride around Belmont all day! If I have to throw in the elf outfit I will do so dude, but I really think that, at this point, you are crossing the line of *taking advantage of me*…. 🙂
        San Diggity Dawg, how’d that golf game go my man? Pass out on any holes? Heat stroke is a be-atch, I know. My dad wants to golf with you in San Diego. He says he needs the money. 🙂

• DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Alright, calm down……let’s see if your’e really coming.

64. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I’ve been guilty of gratuitous use of mind boggling usage myself, but there’s not a darn thing mind boggling at all about Hamilton’s HR totals or that we might not have a 20 HR hitter here. Been there, heard that, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. That show about a thousand ways to die or however many it is, has some pretty good mind bogglers. The bogglinmg hasn’t quite begun here, I don’t to gross anybody out, but I can assure you, this is about to
    become a heck of a lot more mind boggling than any ole HR, even a Stanton one..
    1000

• Nipper said, on May 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

My favorite channel. Liquor and Spike makes good entertainment.

65. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Also quite mind boggling was Loo’s call that Burriss would hit a HR on the road trip. I’m not knocking it, I know exactly what he was doing- hitting that one would be the equivalent of nailing the date the world will end. BTW, there’s some smart money going down on December 21, 2012.
    Hit the Burriss call and a man can retire directly into the PHOF with no waiting period…

66. blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:55 pm

June Cleaver is having a nervous breakdown because of the Beaver . . . Interpretation? Billingsley bases loaded has walked in a run. Houston 2-0.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:10 pm

excellent, I’ve got Norris going on a couple of teams. He didn’t start off so hot but I kept with him and he’s been a nice addition to my staff.
      Side note: have any of you guys seen that video of the 80 year old woman who’s sky diving trip went wrong? I can’t bring myself to post it and I only watched it once. It’s not funny or anything it’s just……disturbing.

• blade3colorado said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Yep, I picked him up a couple of weeks ago in my Yahoo league . . . See if he wins tonight.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm

the K’s are there but I’m not feeling good about this!

67. Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm

“DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 7:07 pm (Edit)
    Alright, calm down……let’s see if your’e really coming.”

…As (basically) a single dad, most of you won’t get how hard this was for me to pull off but….I’m coming to New York. Well, I’m actually coming to Long Island, which I think is like saying I’m coming to San Francisco but I’m actually going to San Bruno……
    But what do I know, I haven’t been to New York in 20 years…….
    Loo, I don’t care if I spend 5 seconds with you or 5 hours but one of my many goals on this trip (and in life) is to meet you face to face. I’m assuming once Pawlie gets off the book tour and the radio circuit and reads this he’ll be there, too…..
    There will be stairwells to look up at The Belmont, too, dude……..

• DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Well you have a lot of planning to do and you better get moving – a hotel near the track might be a problem.
      You may have to settle for one of those dives out by JFK…..

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Way ahead of you my man, but it’s all set! While I was busy putting the finishing touches on handing my kid off to someone else for 48 hours my main man The Boney One cobbled the whole trip together, including the shelter. For a shot at witnessing a triple crown victory I’m not too proud to rest my head in the vicinity of some planes taking off and landing for a few hours. Life is about where you are when you’re awake, dude, not where you are when you’re asleep! That’s actually a fairly money bumper sticker that someone should sell..

68. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:04 pm

No joke: the last caller to Marty Lurie’s show tonight identified himself as “Big TF.”
    Conan O’Brien has a segment on his show called “If They Mated.”
    I give you the bastard love child of Big Flavor and TF.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:06 pm

pretty huge reach there, Dennis. Hey, you should come to NY too, it might be a nice break from Richmond. I still can’t believe I spent a week there, it felt like a year. And that was just getting there from my house……..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:15 pm

How many times do I have to remind you, I don’t live in Richmond, I live in Pinole. Hometown to PVHS grads such as Cubs manager Dale Sveum and Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta. I went to school (no fucking public PVHS for me) with his older brother Geoff (also a QB) who owns the Antler’s Tavern just down the block from yours truly.

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Well…you’re going to have to remind me a few more times because I have almost no recollection of you living in Pinole. But there’s a hazy memory there, so keep on bringin’ it…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Well, if you happen to get lost on a Friday night, and you find yourself in PINOLE, look me up. The Antler’s has a $10 Prime Rib dinner with all the fixin’s every Friday. You can’t beat it with a Popsicle stick.

69. Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Who could have dreamed up that Flapalozza 2.0 would be in New York on June 9th?
    Any and all are welcomed. MacDog, aren’t you in Philly? Is that close, lol?

• DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:18 pm

It’s about 90 miles (sigh)…

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Loo, nothing gets done when people are 😦 when they could be 🙂
        Besides, I’m gonna guarantee you a winning pick 4 ticket. Who wouldn’t show up for that?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Dollars to donuts you’re not really sighing now. LOL. ROFL. ROTFLMAO. IDK. WTF? HIWTH. IMHO I’M FUBAR. FWIW. GMTA. FYI. IKD.SNAFU.TYVM. BBL.

70. DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Well, I expect to see you somewhere in 2 weeks…

• Flavor said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I’m all about “look up your skirt in the stairwell of a professional sports event” during my normal day to day life but I’m all business at the track, Loo. We get to meet each other face to face AND make money at the same time? Loo, it’s time to kill The Boycott of The Belmont strike. The union won dude, and it’s name isn’t *Rags*…..

71. twinfan1 said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:14 pm

In a couple baseball notes-Cody Ransom has moved on again, if you missed it-he’s now a Brewer..
    And what does Travis have to do for someone to give him a real uninterupted run at his position? He was totally jacked around here. Now he’s in Milwaukee and same old-same old. He’s only at .250, but 4 HR 14 RBI .835 OPS in 64 AB. They’ve used Tyler Green, prospect bust Matt Gamel (hurt now), now they’re using Corey Hart. WTF? Ishi is a great defender, he’s producing- give him a run at it..

• Nipper said, on May 27, 2012 at 7:19 am

Chuck at least likes him too.

72. SanDawg said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:43 pm

…just caught up on all the posts and I must say y’all killed it today. Hilights for me:
    -Clicking on James link fully expecting it to the lead to some erudite website about OPS, only to find out it is link to an episode of Green Acres where Lisa becomes an unauthorized psychologist
    -Dennie’s Jerusalem joke had tears streaming down my face I was laughing so hard—-and like Flav (add this is our long list of similarities) I usually can’t stand jokes.
    -Burriss hit a double AND someone suggested he share an apartment with Kyle Williams. GOLD!
    -Belt Parkway reference
    -Dennis’ mentioning one of the core issues he works on with his therapist
    -Flapalooza 2.0 East Coast Edition

Anybody up for a Pinole version of Flapalooza starting at Antler’s Tavern and then making our way to the AMF Lanes for a Flap Bowling Tourney? I insist we break into teams of 3 and my team consists of SanDawg, MacDog, and Salty Dog.

Shot a 98 on the big course at Balboa Park, which is no picnic. All things considered, I’m pleased with that number. Didn’t pass out, but then again it wasn’t 107–or whatever it was that day in Milbrae.
    I’ll play golf with your dad in San Diego anywhere anytime.

73. DJLoo said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm

BTW, Flav…if you haven’t been here in 20 years, you better learn the new language: “ABE”

• Flavor said, on May 27, 2012 at 6:22 am

*anything but english*— gold.

74. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 26, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Just saw that skydiving video too. Wow. Thankfully my grandma just liked to drink highballs and play backgammon.

75. mrmrbill said, on May 26, 2012 at 10:47 pm