A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A Day to Honor Brian Sabean

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 7, 2012

I hadn’t updated the *Ex Giant Watch List* in a while. It could just as easily be called “An Ex Giant Wasteland”. Look at this:

For starters, look at health of those guys. I put Pagan and Melky up there just for comparison sake, but 6 of the 10 of them are on the DL. And the other guys might as well be (excluding Beltran). It wasn’t until the World Series year that I ever gave Sabean the credit he deserves. But whether it was luck or foresight, he was near brilliant in getting rid of all of the players on this list. Beltran is coming back down to earth pretty fast, by the way. In his last 9 games he’s scored 1 run and has 1 measly RBI.

So today at The Flap it’s  “Brian  Sabean Day”. If he had held on to the guys on this list we’d be screwed right now. And he added the brilliant tandem of Cabrera and Pagan without increasing payroll. I still don’t understand how the idiot blogger in the blogosphere can continue to criticize him. They should build a freaking statue of him outside of ATT Park…….

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Dawg, thanks for the gamey food report, I mean, foodie game report.

• sandog said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Pawlie. Both the food and the game were pretty gamey, but we had a great time.

2. Alleykat said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Think the Reds emphasized to Chapman you don’t have to throw 12O MPH to get hitters out.Take alittle off your stuff for better control and less walks.99 to 101 will work just fine.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Maybe he overdid it today. He was throwing like a mortal fireballer- mostly 96, 97.

3. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Just for Tiger and Lefty, odds are 11-2 for Woods, 15-1 for Mickelson

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I have no idea who this guy is but “Field” is the second favorite at 10-1….
      Actually, second favorite is McIlroy at 12-1.

4. Alleykat said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm

What a paring for the 1st 2 rounds…Tiger,Phil and my man Bubba Watson.Wow…Tiger the shortest driver of the bunch in most cases.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Bubba leads the tour at 314.5, Tiger is 295.7 (30th), Phil is 41st at 293.5. Woods has been the most accurate of the 3.

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm

“314.5”

I intentionally threw my 7 iron at a tree once . . . I was so mad that if the tree hadn’t been there, the club would have gone 314.5 yards.

5. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Envious of you having an opportunity to go kat . . . With Tiger having his game fine tuned again, I suspect that he “smells” a major. No idea what he was thinking or doing insofar as cheating on his beautiful and loyal (ex) wife. Absolute stupidity on his part. That being said, I hope he wins, since he is good for the game of golf.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:27 pm

The tour is about as riveting as the Women’s bowling tour without him. It’s baseball in the 50’s without the Yankees..

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm

My feelings exactly. Last time I watched a tournament on TV? Umm . . . probably the last major he won before self-destructing in his personal and professional life.

6. sandog said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I root for Phil, but having Tiger on top of his game is gonna make this a huge event and I can’t wait to watch it all go down. The media frenzy is going to be absolutely crazy.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm

And I’m mostly joking about the tour without Tiger, but there’s no doubt that interest sky rocketed with him back and winning. If he and Lefty and throw in McIlroy are in it next Sunday that club be rockin’ ..But what the heck, how about more analogies? Winning a Major without Tiger in it as about as prestigious as winning the NIT.. more?

7. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Catching up on some of the articles in the SF Gate and read this . . . “The fans are not booing Barry Zito anymore. On Sunday, they jeered Bruce Bochy for yanking Zito with one out and one on in the ninth inning.”

This captures what “sport” is all about. I love the fact that a player as despised as Barry Zito can achieve redemption . . . even if it’s for a moment, game, season, or hopefully, even longer. Sports movies such as Hoosiers and Rocky illustrate this and that’s why they are so popular.

Damn, I love baseball. Even if you lose, there’s another game tomorrow . . .

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Good night all 🙂

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Well, thanks a lot. Now I owe dues for the Zito Fan Club?

8. zumie said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Elvis Costello had a song with a line in the chorus that went: “Yesterday’s news is tomorrow’s fish-and-chip paper.” Bruce Jenkins wrote a big ol’ column today in the Chronicle about how great it would be to see the Celtics in the finals against the Thunder. Well, I guess it could still happen….but….

9. Flavor said, on June 7, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I’m leaving for NY tomorrow night and I have to work tomorrow and do a shit load of shit before I go so tomorrow’s thread will probably be it for the weekend. I feel very disconnected to the Giants right now and it sucks. I keep seeing the wins pile up and it’s like I’m not a part of enjoying any of them. I missed these games in SD, I’m gonna miss the Texas series coming up. I hate this. But I will read everything you guys write here and blend that with the box scores. This group does the best job anywhere on the internet of *painting the portrait* of the game….
    I’ll facebook some pics from The Belmont, maybe tweet some too if I decide to engage that application……..

• Nipper said, on June 8, 2012 at 4:16 am