A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A Day to Honor Brian Sabean

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 7, 2012

I hadn’t updated the *Ex Giant Watch List* in a while. It could just as easily be called “An Ex Giant Wasteland”. Look at this:

For starters, look at health of those guys. I put Pagan and Melky up there just for comparison sake, but 6 of the 10 of them are on the DL. And the other guys might as well be (excluding Beltran). It wasn’t until the World Series year that I ever gave Sabean the credit he deserves. But whether it was luck or foresight, he was near brilliant in getting rid of all of the players on this list. Beltran is coming back down to earth pretty fast, by the way. In his last 9 games he’s scored 1 run and has 1 measly RBI.

So today at The Flap it’s  “Brian  Sabean Day”. If he had held on to the guys on this list we’d be screwed right now. And he added the brilliant tandem of Cabrera and Pagan without increasing payroll. I still don’t understand how the idiot blogger in the blogosphere can continue to criticize him. They should build a freaking statue of him outside of ATT Park…….

1. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:29 am

In Brian I Trust . . . E pluribus unum

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:47 am

Prepare for flame.

3. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:04 am

I have a couple of comments about something mentioned by Flav late yesterday evening concerning Sandoval’s past weight issues and exercise regimen, where he cited an excellent article – which I do recall reading. They mentioned 30% body fat when he first showed up at Triple Threat, run by Dan O’Brian. Flav probably knows this and maybe one or two others here are aware too – you need to consider that the 30% figure was more than likely measured by “skin fold” calipers (where 3-5 points are measured on your body, e.g., chest, abdomen, and thigh, with age also factored into a formula). This is probably the most accurate and efficient way to measure body fat.

The most accurate measurement is with a water buoyancy test or hydrostatic water testing, which is the “gold standard” for testing, with a plus or minus of 1.5% accuracy. O’Brian’s facility probably had this method also, but it’s likely that he only used it once a week for clients.

The next to worst method to measure body fat, is by (BIA) bioelectric impedance analysis (e.g., the new weight scales you see at Target, etc., have this feature. There are also some hand held models).

The worst method is Anthropometric, which uses a tape measure for various body part measurements. The Navy uses this method.

My point is that Panda was unbelievably obese when he entered O’Brian’s facility. For example, my body fat is 9.4%, using body fold calipers. However, I have one of those BIA scales too, which indicates a body fat measurement of 20%! Totally inaccurate. I would imagine that Panda’s body fat percentage would approach 50-60% using a BIA scale! Likewise, him getting down to 19% after training at O’Brian’s facility is considered barely on the cusp of being an “athlete.” See below:

Description Women Men
    Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
    Athletes 14-20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21-24% 14–17%
    Just “Average” 25-31% 18-24%
    Excess fat 32%+ 25%+

The other comment I have is in regard to “inverted row” exercises. This exercise has been referred to as the reverse bench press, as you grab a bar like you were getting ready to bench press it, but instead of lifting the weight down towards you, you’re pulling your body up towards the bar. An inverted row works your back, biceps, traps, and all the stabilizer muscles (core) in between. This is a very difficult exercise and I am not surprised that Panda was only able to complete 2 initially. Most people at the gym I frequent, have a hard time doing this exercise, especially if they haven’t seen the inside of a gym in years.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:34 am

I would disagree with you about the difficulty of the inverted row—at least for someone who is a professional athlete.

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:40 am

Read my sentence – I meant within the context of Panda’s poor physical condition when he showed up at Triple Threat . . . The article also cites O’Brian saying that Panda looked like some guy off the street, not an athlete when he showed up at his facility. But yeah, I agree with you – an athlete should be able to do this without a problem . . . Joe Blow would have a problem though. I see it everyday when we have “newbies” come to our gym.

• Irish Kevin said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

So we are talking about pull-ups/chin up here?? Most people would be lucky to do 1. There are guys at the gym that do them everyday that can do about 10 in a a row. then they rest and do 10 more? Very difficult to do

4. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:13 am

Weatherproof games: Cubs at Brewers, Braves at Marlins and Cardinals at Astros.

Clear skies are in the forecast for Oakland and San Diego, with temperatures in the 68-72 range. Detroit, Chicago and Cincinnati should expect temperatures in the 70s along with sunshine and patchy clouds. Showers should fall in Boston, with thundershowers in the mix for Washington, Philadelphia and New York.

5. willieD said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:16 am

A lot of things fall into place by accident, too. blanco had a great spring, and pagan’s troubles at the top of the order gave blanco an opening he has taken full advantage of. Nate got off to a great start and then fell back to being the nate we all know and love, while Pagan has raked hitting all over the LU. If you want to go a step further, look at what has happened to r ramirez since Mets got him, compared to what Hensley has done so far.
    Sabean deserves a fair amount of heat for being unable to solve SS problem last year with the likes of Font,
    Tejada and O Cab, and for not acquiring anyone more capable at C than whitey and stewart. But he has put together a nice group and jettisoned most of the underperforming vets (save Huff) from offensive disaster that was last year. And it’s just a more fun team to watch.
    However, it’s a little early to say he has built a champ team. SF LU yesterday featured 4 guys over .800 OPS (Pagan Posey Blanco plus Melk at .900) and everyone else at less than .700 (Pill and Belt at .670/,675, Theriot up to .625, Craw at .600 and Arias at ..590). How many of the top ones can stay near therre, and how many of the otthers can mprove? Can Sando stay healthy enough and maintain the level of quality we have come to expect? Can the team continue to play the excellent defense it has shown lately and hold down runs allowed? Iss there a need to improve depth (huff burriss pill nate arias) that can reasonably be addressed?

6. Bozo said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:39 am

The guy built 2010 in same fashion as this year and that worked out pretty well.
    I remember some folks saying – Ned Colletti was the real brains (or something like that). That doesn’t appear to be an accurate statement now does it?

A Brian Sabean day at the Flap? This calls for a Sabes bobblehead, come on Giants get er done.

• willieD said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:49 am

so who out there on another team could be this year version of cody ross, and supply late season offensive pick me up at a position of need? And how do you get him?

• Bozo said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:12 am

Tough call willie. I don’t think we need another OFer so I don’t see a trade for Quentin (besides the Pads being in our Division). We do have some young catchers that might bring something, but what position? We have an under performing logjam at 1B so adding there would also need subtracting. Theriot seems to be nailing down 2B and Crawford seems to be getting better at SS so don’t know if you’d want to fuck with the MIers. The bench could be stronger, so maybe that’s all Sabes will be doing this year.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:01 am

2010 started being built in 2006 really when we actually had a first round pick in the draft and took Lincecum. Sabean finally hadn’t lost picks for failed free agents and realized at last that the farm system needed rebuilding. In 2007 MadBum was the 1st pick, then Buster in 2008. The bargain basement pick ups in 2009 and 2010 and Panda streaking through the farm in 2008 basically completed the building of a champion. Panda had a poor year in 2010 but the point is that this didn’t start in 2010 or even the contending year of 2009. It started when most people *were* calling for Sabean’s head because of his penchant for losing his mind when he had his no limit credit card with him…and while I totally agree that that the trades for Melky and Pagan have been huge for us ( and I don’t want a shitstorm over this, since it’s fact)…it was the performances of Vungo and Dirrrty in 2010 that enabled the trades.

7. ewisco said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:50 am

I’m sure others have noted this but I find that it bugs me more and more: no sooner do the g’s score runs when the pitching gives it right back in the next half-inning. Haven’t looked at the stats (not sure if something like that is available) but i’m sure twin will set me straight if i’m way off base. But just watching the games it seems to happen a lot. other than that i have to say i’m pretty happy with where we are at this point of the season: over .500, not too far behind the dodgers, room for improvement.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:51 am

Frankly, I’ve never found a site that has the “Shutdown Inning” stat, K and K mention it occasionally. I did see an article in Fangraphs that discussed the leaders in that category at some point in 2008. But while they have an abbreviation for the stat (SHIP), I can’t find the stat in any pitcher’s numbers. Kind of maddening. Anyway-they listed some 2008 leaders in the shutdown inning, and as you might suspect, it seems like a random stat, like RISP. The top 3 at that time were our dear friend Todd Wellemeyer, Braden Looper, and Scott Olsen..
      Sometimes it does seem like the habit you describe is true, but considering the overall excellence of our staff, it’s not a problem I’d lose sleep over..
      How’s that for long non-answer? 😉

• ewisco said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:13 pm

perfecto cigar.

8. willieD said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:09 am

Flav, I see the blade weather report every day….are you ready for the Apple? Co-worker of mine flies into Philly today to meet relatives and then heads to NYC for a big wedding saturday. Supposed to be warm (70s) but also with thunder showers daily she said.
    When I visited their with mgmt. group late spt. 2010, we stayed in hotel near meadowlands in jersey…we had one day of sightseeing set up for first half of the day. Took a bus into the City and it was pouring that morning; we were to hit subway to get to where we could walk past Trade Ctr towers being rebuilt and then to catch the ferry to see Statue of Lib and Ellis Isle.
    A gal who works in one of our stores there recommended I buy an umbi at the station, which I did for $30. My boss bought one from some guy off the street for $10…it drizzled as we started walking, and I swear his didn’t last a f-ing block. I still have mine to this day. She also had a small personal fan she used on the subway ride back—I was amazed how warm it was even then walking around to go catch our bus, and I couldn’t imagine conditions under ground dead of summer. Pretty spoiled for weather here on left coast south bay.

• ewisco said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:51 am

went to school in the upper west side as well as lived in jersey for 7 years. the first year i got to school it was late august/early september and the heat and humidity were pretty bad. the worst was the wind off the hudson filed through the buildings picking up speed and grit, which it deposited all over your sticky skin. I was taking two and sometimes three showers a day! sort of got used to it and although the weather in jersey was pretty bad, you didn’t have the wind/grit combo.

my first winter it wasn’t so bad, sort of like here really: rainy and cold. came home for xmas and when i went back in late jan, it promptly dove to -30 at night with a high of around zero. They just don’t make regular clothes for that, especially when you get the wind off the hudson adding to the misery. I remember living in jersey in the late 90’s and walking the dogs at night and it was -15 or so. It doesn’t seem to get that cold anymore. global warming at work? could work for jersey.

9. Nipper said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:16 am

Day BASEBALL today.

10. paulinasia said, on June 7, 2012 at 8:48 am

I like the photo in the Chron and the video on the Giants’ site showing Pagan, Melky, and Blanco doing their own little celebratory thing at the end of the game. The Giants have a pretty cool outfield, those guys have made it their own….

11. Flavor said, on June 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

WillieD– Thanks for the advice. I am headed to NY on the red eye Friday night–the question though should not be what am I doing to prepare for NY but what is NY doing to prepare for MY arrival!

• Bozo said, on June 7, 2012 at 9:15 am

Well, I haven’t received any calls for a dial-a-shot from NY, so maybe they don’t know you’re coming yet.

12. zumie said, on June 7, 2012 at 9:23 am

I generally think Larry Bowa does a pretty good job as a pundit on the MLB network, but he had a comment the other day that was kind of dumb. He said the Giants are going to regret having traded Zach Wheeler. It’s a dumb statement because the Giants regretted the trade while they were MAKING the trade. They knew they were trading a quality prospect. It had to have been an agonizing decision for Sabean. And, now, if Wheeler goes on to MLB success, Sabean will get hammered by some for the trade. If Beltran had led the Giants into the playoffs, then there would be far less criticism of the trade. And even so, we don’t know how Wheeler will do at the MLB level anyway someday. At the time, Sabean was trying to give the Giants a chance to repeat as champs in 2011, in the midst of so many Giants hitters having off-years, and Posey and F. Sanchez out with injury. Tough gig being a GM.

• Nipper said, on June 7, 2012 at 9:49 am

Most Flappers couldn’t do it.

• Nipper said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:00 am

Dumb and Dumber trades would be the result. Knee jerk moves and emotional outbursts would be common. Oh that’s the Splash. Sorry.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

Well, we don’t know who the Mets would have taken instead of Wheeler. For a long time, Brown was said to be the guy.. but criticism is warranted. Like it or not, deadline trades to get the team to the playoffs ( or in the Beltran case, deep into the playoffs) are properly judged on whether they worked. They traded their top pitching prospect for two months of Beltran, alas.. for ONE month of Beltran. Sabean doesn’t get credit for trying, only succeeeding- that’s part of the job he gets good money for.

• Bozo said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:56 am

It was a risky trade that didn’t work out but I liked the fact that Sabean was going for it. Not to get to rah, rah but I’d also bet the majority of that clubhouse also liked it that the GM was going for broke to win now.

13. willieD said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:03 am

From john shea in today’s chron: “The Giants anticipate Pablo Sandoval back in the LU at 3b by Tuesday when they open a series against the Astros.”
    So….I think all the public outcry from them over his weight and conditioning leaves a lot to be desired. He was in the dugout at the homestand so the giants saw him, and he could not have blown up 20 lbs. over the last weekend. Neither is he going to suddenly drop 20 lbs in the next 4 or 5 days. 3b is not a physically demanding position except for arm strength, and pablo is not the type of offensive player that is going to use his legs like pagan or blanco. He’s here to hit and hammer the ball, something he does pretty well.
    It just seems odd that a few days ago they were talking loudly about not using him until he was ready to handle 3b, and now they “expect” him to be ready to do so in a few days. He is without question their most powerful hitter and a force in the middle of the LU. I can understand he might be heavier than they like, but the idea that he isn’t in “baseball” shape (like end of 2010) is harder to believe. They are not asking him to run up and down 94 feet basketball court for 48 minutes, or go climb “the Hill” with Jerry Rice.

• Bozo said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:47 am

Agreed willie. I saw that article and went WTF. I really liked the part about he’d be here sooner if there was an emergency. I know I’m being a cynic here, but I couldn’t help but think the Giants got word that the Santa Cruz DA wasn’t going to press charges.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:57 am

They can’t find a charge for “Felony picking up a drunk chick”

14. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:21 am

I liked Sabean’s offseason moves when they happened and still do. I didn’t see Blanco coming but hey it’s nice being surprised. At 32-25 SF would be in first place of every division save the NL and AL West. The hated ones will continue falling back to earth and Lincecum can only get better. Fuck the second wild card spot. This club should easily take the division.

15. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:26 am

Blanco RF, Theriot 2B, Cabrera LF, Posey C, Pagan CF, Belt 1B, Arias 3B, Crawford SS, (Cain P

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:38 am

Did you know that Belt was born in Nacogdoches, TX? Yep. In addition to the Six Flags of Texas, Nacogdoches once flew under the Fredonia Republic. Fredonia? Belt comes from “Duck Soup.”

16. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:55 am

How about a poll on who goes when Pablo is activated? I know most of you have said Burriss but I think most are wrong.
    Pill:… even money. When you’re not hitting AND being replaced for defense- not a good sign
    Burriss:… 5-2 at least he’s a one tool guy

Huff: 5-1… Except for 10 million smackeroos, he’d be the front runner.
    Belt : 10-1… I wouldn’t rule it out because I don’t rule out them doing something truly stupid, like putting Panda at first.

• Bozo said, on June 7, 2012 at 10:59 am

Unless they are able to make a trade for either Burriss or Huff I’d say Pill is going to Fresno.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

What other MLB club would even have Burris on the roster? I think it will be Burriss just because Arias can slide into the no hit, utility role but you’re right about Pill. Dude is doing nothing.

17. Macdog said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:07 am

Two throwing errors plus an RBI single by Font and the Bums are down 3-0. It’s still early, but with Hamels pitching, the Phils might actually win one.

18. unca_chuck said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:18 am

Pill is on a slow fade. He’s on the bus . . . Whether Edlefson’s with him is up for debate (hello Otero?), but we’ll see.

Burriss is out of options as we all know, so I think he sticks. Huff is moral support I suppose.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:23 am

Otero? Have you checked out the Grizzlie’s website recently?

19. SanDawg said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:31 am

I’m off to the game with my son who is home from SFSU. Took the day off and we’re sitting in the all-you-can-eat section–a first for me. This could be epic.

20. Macdog said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:32 am

Since it’s Brian Sabean Day here at the Flap: I finally got around to reading this story from the Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger last week about the Beltran-Wheeler trade. It’s mostly from the Mets’ POV, but there’s enough from Sabean and the Giants that should be of interest.

21. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:38 am

OK, another poll:
    When will Belt hit his first HR?”
    1. Today
    2. When it’s 90 degrees in Fresno
    3. Never. Little known fact: a hen is born with all the eggs she’ll ever lay already within her. Belt had 9 MLB home runs in him and the dummy used them all last year.

• Macdog said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:45 am

The giraffe is now a chicken?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:06 pm

It’s a fucking Frank Costanza quote from “Seinfeld” you fucking mook.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

“Let me understand, you got the hen, the chicken and the rooster. The rooster goes with the chicken. So, who’s having sex with the hen?”

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:53 am

If you have a question about a fact, state it clearly, Menace. And get out your checkbook. Well, have your guardian get it out..

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm

A rooster is not needed for a hen to lay eggs.. “A hen is born with all the eggs she will ever have, and nature tricks her into laying them whether a rooster is around or not. The eggs are equally tasty,
        nutritious, and abundant, regardless of whether a rooster is present.” Suck on one, Denny.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:57 am

I cited trivia from his hometown this morning. The homer-less Punch and Judy best make me look good this afternoon. Not to mention that lefties are hitting Marquis at a .424/.663/1.087 clip in 86 ABs this year. The kid from Nacogdoches goes yard today. Book it!

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:40 am

Burriss: ..212/.278/.221/.499 104 ABs, 13R 5RBI
    Pill: .227/.284/.387/.671 125 ABS 14R 18 RBI

Burriss produces a run once every 5.8 ABs; Pill once every 3.9. Not to mention Burriss is a huge pussy for bunting in front of the pitcher’s spot. Buh-bye pussy.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:51 am

As I said- Burriss is at least a ONE tool player. For not understanding when an 8 hitter may bunt, you’re going down a state run facility, Dennis…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

You’re close. Remove the “ONE” and “player.” Burriss is a tool.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm

And you can’t tell me that I was wrong in saying the day Bochy batted him 9th was a punishment like I observed. If it’s such a great “strategy” to help turn the lineup over or whatever BS they sling, they’d do it EVERY time. Then Burriss topped that off by not hustling. Fuck him. Whether he’s the one to go or not, I’m HOPING that he is.

23. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Let me tell you, girls, my Inverted-Row Body-Weight Flesh-Fantasy Calipers Index (IRBWFFCI) is dangerously off the scale, especially after midnight Eastern Time.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I can’t top that one. But I do have and update: MDAWA. “My” Dodgers Are Winning Again.

24. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

You need to prove it. Get it in writing. A staple of the brain dead blog potato is making an outrageous claim because you know it can’t be proven wrong.I say he batted ninth because the voices from Gork in Bochy’s head told him to. Prove me wrong.

25. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I shed my Pawlie Kokonuts mask for 4 minutes 18 seconds yesterday to do my part to keep the Andy Warhol “15 minutes of fame” legacy going. Talked about my book. http://bit.ly/Lttf35 (Forgot to shout out: “Order now for Father’s Day while supplies last!”)

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:42 pm

The Friars are a complete farce. They shoulda been out of the inning, and now we’re on the brink of a BIG one.

27. unca_chuck said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Belt with some loud contact . . .

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

C’mon, Nacogdoches. I said you’d hit a HR today. That one hop to the wall shit is for pussies.

29. snarkk said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I nominate Blade to be Panda’s personal trainer. I’ve seen Blade and ate a meal with him, he’s in great shape and eats healthy, except when he eats at his Mom’s house. Blade could easily kick Panda’s ass for not eating right, and would run his ass off to get Pablo’s cardio where it needs to be. Plus, when Panda heads back to Venezuela for the offseason visit, Blade wouldn’t turn down a visit down there — the local chiquitas would have to be ready — for Blade, not Pablo…

30. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Prior to today’s start, the Padres were on pace to lose 108 games. That’s just 6 more games then “my” Dodgers are on pace to WIN.

• eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Not only are they “YOUR” dogers, but you’re catching the anti-giant Pierzynski

31. chipower9 said, on June 7, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Where is snarkk…curious on his spin re: the Sabean bobbleheads or statue.

Personally, overall…I think Sabes has done a good job.

32. eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

he’s in the back seat hugging and a kissin’ with blade.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm

lqtm

33. Alleykat said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Like the movie “Expendables”…Every Giant on BF’s list is just that.

34. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I’m not adverse to Burriss being waived, just think Pill is the obvious choice now. They hardly need 3 “regular” first basemen plus 3 wannabes…what they could look at is whether Noonan or Bond or Culberson again would be upgrade over Manny.

35. eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm

good blog so far, but I need more.
    OH, and about yesterday’s ‘universal hole’
    I don’t have access to information like you locals do, but I remember it being said that Belt’s hole in his swing was down and in. A couple of weeks ago I saw Belt hitting those pitches.
    I would like some clarity so I know the truth.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Well, we have Bam-Bam in one room, Sabes in another, Bochy in the third one. First guy to roll over gets the plea deal. They’ve claimed the hole is up and away, up and in, and down and in. They’ve never claimed there are THREE holes. Boch is looking clammy, we’re thinking if we can promise him Whitey, he’ll finger Meulens…

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Down and In is the Universal Hole-if they really wanna use that one you know the entire Hole Theory is pure hokum.

• eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:09 pm

ROFLMAO

NOW! That clears it all up.

36. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Needed: game report from SanDawg! STAT!

37. zumie said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

How many dogs will Dawg eat in the all-you-can-eat section today?:
    4-6
    7-10
    10+

38. Bozo said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Posey hit the shit out of that one.

39. snarkk said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm

When Panda’s back, I don’t see the need for Burriss. Arias becomes the utility IF guy — he’s better fielding and hitting. Burriss’ speed is near worthless, he doesn’t get on base, but he sure gets back to the dugout quickly. Pill is not setting the world on fire, but at least he’s a RH bat off the bench that might run into one. But, if it’s Pill, I won’t be singing the blues, either. The reality is that Huff is the guy that should go. DFA him, and keep him around with some pom poms to head the cheerleading crew, that’s about all he’s doing now anyway. What a disappointment he’s been. I’ll admit, I was for keeping him around after the WS. He got the big coin, then has absolutely “cratered” since his signature dried…

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Regardless, they need two utility infielders a hell of a lot more than 6 first basemen.

40. Alleykat said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Nice job “Butchering that Flyball Angel”

41. unca_chuck said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Fuck. Give ’em 5 – 6 outs thins inning, they’ll score.

42. Bozo said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Shit, shit

43. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Macdog, thank you for sharing that article in your 11:32am post. That was one of the most comprehensive articles I have read in regard to the Beltran and Wheeler trade. I especially liked reading about the “human element,” specifically what John Rico said . . .

“Ricco considered himself one of the last links to Minaya’s front office, the group that Beltran coined the “New Mets.” In the subsequent years, those lofty heights appeared close enough to touch, yet still out of the franchise’s reach. That day, Ricco thanked Beltran for all he gave in his time as a Met.

“There was a lot that happened over the years,” Ricco said. “And we went through a lot of highs and lows.” He added, “A guy comes in, signs as a free agent, gives us six-and-a-half years of his prime. That’s part of a trade that sometimes gets lost, that there is a human element. And I wanted to thank him for that.”

44. unca_chuck said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Just when I think it’s safe to watch flyballs hit to centerfield.

45. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’m going to stop giving the Pagan credit for improving in the field. Maybe they need to look for the hole in his glove..

46. zumie said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I was at the library earlier today, and saw a Baseball Prospectus book in the new book section. I thumbed through it and it reminded me of an algebra textbook, so I didn’t check it out. I respect those that dig those kinds of baseball books. It’s just not my thing. I ended up checking out a biography of Joe Dimaggio. I’ve always wanted to read more about his life and times in San Francisco especially.

• eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm

When I was a wee lad my father used to take me to the back fence of my grandparent’s house. Like it was a shrine. He would point to the back yard on the other side of the fence and say, “DiMaggio’s [female relative] lived there. I saw him once when he was visiting.”
      I not sure what [female relative] it was, but I remember grandmother. I also get the feeling my father’s sighting was after Joe played for the seals maybe even after he retired from the evil empire.

47. Macdog said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Glad ya liked it, Blade. BTW, I never thought relentless and Padres offense would ever be synonymous, but these guys just keep coming.

• zumie said, on June 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

In the article Sabean says something like: “We had to believe we could develop another Wheeler.”
      And hence so many pitchers drafted in the opening rounds of this year’s draft.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm

And I believe 7/8 of those pitchers taken were at the collegiate level. And our top pick Stratton, from Miss. St., will be 22 in August. It obvious they drafted pitchers who they hope will contribute on the big league level — and contribute fast.

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Zum, having Dick Tidrow overseeing scouting, and scouts like Lee Elder (who discovered Matt Cain) provides the confidence behind Sabean’s words. They are two of the best in MLB.

48. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Didn’t anyone else hear Kuip on KNBR this morning? He said some shit about Heath Hembree not being able to pitch on back-to-back days. WTF? Is that some sort of union deal? Local Pussy 13.

• eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm

inflammation?

49. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Pablo woulda “ate” that ball up. FOUR errors today? We deserve to lose.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm

On the other hand -if you get gifted 4 errors and don’t win, you deserve to lose more.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm

That’s why the Padres are now on their way to losing 109 games this year.
        They need to burn this game’s video. Fuck the children, today’s viewing isn’t suited for NC-17.

50. unca_chuck said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:31 pm

The Little Pet Shop of Horrors.

51. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:33 pm

My neighbor’s grandson is graduating today — from kindergarten to first grade. WTF did they start doing those “graduations?” Cost me a goddamn present.

One guy who isn’t getting a present for that last play is Nacogdoches. Another (mental) error.
    Our D. continues to stink on ice.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Add fucking C. Maybin to that list. Serves me right for starting him on my fantasy team.

52. Salty Dog said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Nicely done Cain.

53. eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm

pagan is starting to slump

54. eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:42 pm

hehe
    my evil plan worked to perfection!!

55. eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:43 pm

LOL
    ‘ kuip said Del Mar’

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I missed it. The other week when CSN used my Zito/Timmy poll, they mentioned my name 2 or 3 times on TV. I thought it was some great exposure. You know how many new followers I received on Twitter after having my name mentioned on TV?

56. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Sorry, I cannot and will not cheer on Angel Pagan. He just rubs me the wrong way.
    If he ever were made President of the United States, I’d have his ass assassinated.
    That was for TF, and YES, it was a joke. Go grab yourself another glass of Clover.
    BTW, I hate milk. People say I should love Milf.? But they don’t deliver here.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Oh, I know the difference when you’re joking, Menace. Less spittle.

57. eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Yu getting beat by Oakland
    6 hits, 6 runs, 6 walks in 5+ innings

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Shark Attack!!!

58. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

To explain how things work ,for the Menace. Casilla has been out for awhile. If they still have a 4 run lead going to the 9th, it will be a non-save situation but also one the times when it is proper to use the closer in a non-save situation.

59. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm

The Menace twarted- it’s now a save situation.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:21 pm

And Casilla did what every great closer does in a SAVE-situation, he got the out.
      Don’t hate me for being on the money. On the Money (by Shuailaan out of Gain the Bucks).

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:34 pm

The Menace would prefer we lose the game if the closer entered in a non-save situation. Casilla was going to pitch save or non-save, as I instructed.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm

“As you instructed.” Did you ever coach the little tots in Little League? I gave my time and effort while umpiring for many a years here locally in the Pinole/Tara Hills leagues. I woulda loved the chance to toss your ass just once for arguing a call.

Both our early days happened before the internet and YouTube. But believe you me (that was Sr. Madeline’s, my 8th Grade teacher’s favorite euphemism’s) even given the chance, I woulda wrung your ass up so hard that it woulda been viral YouTube sensation.

YOU’RE OUTTA HERE!!!

60. eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I predict Casilla will go 1+ innings today in a non-save situation.
    and Romo will destroy a cooler with a bat ala BW

61. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm

OK, when Taco Boy returns Tuesday as is hopefully planned, I would bat him cleanup. But I’m not the manager. I’d move PaGONE up to the 2-hole, keep the Melkman third and bump Buster down to fifth. But I think the Riot’s recent tear is going to fuck Bochy’s thinking. He’s going to keep the Mardi Gras Runt batting second — WRONG!!! OBP, and speed should be atop our lineup.

White Shark
    PaGONE
    Melkman
    Taco Boy
    Buster
    Nacogdoches
    Crawdaddy
    The Riot
    Pitcher

Nipper as manager

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:39 pm

That’s one of your better efforts, as it nearly mimics what I’ve said.Crawford should and will be 8th, however.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Maybe he will. But I think the Riot is better suited in the 8-hole. His OBP’s numbers say the same. Look. We all know the deal. We have 5, maybe 6, if the Nacogdoches boy gets his ass in gear good hitters. Put ’em all at the top of the lineup and — Play Ball!

Nipper? My manager? Can you please call time and go get some more ice?

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Simple-the worst hitter hits 8. That’s Crawford by BA, OPS and OPB (if Arias is not playing).

• Nipper said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:41 pm

You’re my bench coach.

• eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

grab some pine, meat

62. Nipper said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Giants take the series even with four errors today!

63. Bozo said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm

A hell yes.

64. eddacker said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm

what a throw
    and 26 pitches for our closer is a perfect ‘live’ tune up.
    great game guys, did anyone spot dirt on camera?

65. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

A couple of the errors were ticky-tack. As I said before the series-they do hit at Petco, as they do on the road in general. 13 hits for the 1-6 spots…Good series, nice way to go home for the Rangers..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I heard “Wash” today on the KNBR Morning Show with Murph & Mac. He either missed his coffee or his toot this morning, I dunno. But he sounded down in the dumps. As well he should. His two-time World Series’ losers just took it up the ass 3 outta 4 times to the A’s.

The “Boney One’s” A’s just won 3/4 from the Rangers? Sounds like the perfect impetus for the Boney One to go strut his stuff in New York only to take a royal dump at the Belmont. Guess what? Go piss on Andy Cuomo’s shoes.

You lose.

So will I’ll Have Another. Fuck that horse. He’s going down Saturday. And he’s going down hard.

NO Triple Crown

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

When a man steals your wife there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. ~ Bill Murray

66. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

For some reason that reminds me of the joke where the guy doesn’t report his credit card stolen becaust the thief is spending less than the guy’s wife was..

67. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 4:48 pm

“My” Dodgers, minus their best player. Who just so happens to be the best player in the league that is currently residing on the DL, Just went into the city of Brotherly Love and swept those fools four straight games.

I don’t know what’s more amazing? The Phillies collapse and demise, or the rebirth of “my” Dodgers?

I hope Tommy got my flowers in the hospital. 😀

Get well soon.

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 5:36 pm

They really are your Dodgers. Uh, you missed the part where they lost 5 in a row and had their lead just about cut in half.. you want to award any more playoff spots?

68. blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 4:55 pm

RIP Bob Welch.

69. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Dammit! I missed my call on the Belt HR call today. But I, and the rest of you Flappers want and need it to happen soon. He’s our first baseman. Hit the goddamn ball. He was 2 fer 4 with 2 RBI today. Damn straight. Even Groucho would allow Belt to be another Marx Bros.

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don’t let that fool you. He really is an idiot. ~ Groucho.

“nuff said

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm

He gets on base 3 times and drives in 2, he can go homer-less for the rest of his life.

70. SanDawg said, on June 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm

The game was a hoot. Couldn’t take my eyes off Crazy Horse, who I must confess is becoming my favorite Giant. He displayed both his best and worst traits, which for some odd reason entertained me. Did they show on TV how fired up Cain was walking off the mound after getting out of that bases-juiced-no-outs jam? He looked like “The Todd” from Scrubs the way he was high-fiving the crap out of everyone as he approached the dugout. He’s usually so stoic in all situations, it was cool to see him fired up. I put down 3 dogs. I expected a bit more of myself going in, but they were pretty good size. For good measure, I did have a slice of pizza at 7-11 not long after the game ended. A totally unnecessary move on my part, but the cashier was telling everyone who walked in how it was a new feature and it was made by the same outfit that does COSTCO pizza and only a $1 a slice for a limited time. I respected the effort she was putting in and I love an introductory bargain, so I had a slice. I was disappointed as it WAS NOT of the same quality as COSTCO pizza—which I think is not bad.
    Hey Denny—I embedded that same Judge Smails vid in a late night take a week or so ago just for you and you left me high “n” dry. (“Saturday night, I’m high, Saturday night, I’m high and dry)*** Now you trot the same vid out there with one of your posts? First you bash Crazy Horse, now this. I’m pissed! Our summertime bowling get-together at the AMF Pinole Lanes is officially cancelled!
    *** Def Leppard reference

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Official Dues Paying Members of the “Crazy Horse” Fan Club:

SanDawg
      Blade
      Flav

Auxiliary Non-Dues Paying Members:

Twin

Crazy Horse Hit Man:

DMD

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Hey, I’ve given the guy more props than those who like him. I demand “Dues Paying” status.

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:25 pm

OMG! Application papers are being mailed as we speak Mike. 🙂

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm

It’s impossible to not be down with The Crazy Horse. He’s hit safely in 46 of 48 games. Who freaking does that??????

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Application? I don’t do applications.Just put me in.. and listen, take care of those dues for me, will ya? Thanks. I’ll probably send you a check for it later.

• zumie said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:23 pm

On the broadcast, they showed Cain doing the two fist-pumps as he walked off the mound, but I don’t think they showed him getting to the dugout.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Got the pic my man. Nice. We those your seats or did you go down there just for the pic? I thought you were an “upper level/last row” dude.
      Did any of the 3 dogs you powered down look like the one I bought at the Posey game?

• sandog said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:42 pm

We sat about 7-8 rows behind the railing near the Giants bulletin where Mattie took that picture. It’s rare he expresses interest in going to a game, plus I got a pretty good deal at Stub Hub, so I stepped out of my comfort zone for some nicer seats.
        Thankfully no, none of our dogs elicited Spinal Tap lines from either of us!
        “Is this is a joke?!?!” (Nigel Tufnel voice)

• twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I’d have the money for the Crazy Horse fan club if I hadn’t bet on 10 dogs for you, Dawg.

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:42 pm

lol . . . Still, the “Dawg” can put away some fast food (slow food too).

71. sandog said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm

• Alleykat said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:51 pm

San Dog…If you were in the all you can eat section,suprised you even managed a slice of pizza with Panda blocking everyone in the food area.

72. sandog said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I did eat 10 tacos in one sitting at Taco Bell one time. But that was years ago when I was in my fast-food eating prime and I was motivated by the fact that a friend I like to compete with had done the same thing.

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Dawg, I ate one of those Half Pound Kielbasa with peppers and onions. That sucker was so big, that the bun was inadequate to hold it. After I finished it, I was done eating for the day . . .

• sandog said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Would that be the “Sheboygan” Brat you are referring to??

• blade3colorado said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Not certain, but they had a Louisiana one too. Regardless, you didn’t want to drop either one, if only because you would break your foot.

73. sandog said, on June 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Anyone going to check out the US Open in person at The Olympic Club? I wish I could get up there and go. Flav’s dad was telling me some amusing stories last summer about his interactions with players while volunteering at previous US Opens held there. He made it sound like the pros can be real pricks when the cameras aren’t rolling and they are relying on volunteers to help them find their errant shots. My Sports Illustrated GolfPlus arrived today with a great article ranking the courses in the bay area. Flav—Green Hills got some love in there!

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm

My dad moved up to Oregon this year, had to leave Green Hills behind. He’s still so bummed. But his wife wanted to retire up there. He’ll get used to it…..

• sandog said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Are you telling me The Green Hills era is over for us!!?? Reading your post has me staggering around the living room like Obie won Kenobi after he sensed Tatouine had been destroyed by the Imperial Army.
        Seriously…I remember him saying that was the master plan. Tell him I said hello and to remember to pack his windbreaker in his golf bag.

• Flavor said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:43 pm

yep, over before it barely started for us. At least at GH. But the three of us will golf again, he is bored as shit up there, I anticipate many CA trips for him and he’s said more than once that he’d like to golf with you again.

• Alleykat said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Might go Saturday with a buddy.He scored the sweet package ,hospitality tent etc.Only problem his significant other has first dibs.She’s not much of a golf fan,so I’m hopeful maybe need to get a voodoo. doll and start the pins early on her.(grin)
      Did renew my USGA membership and received The Olympic Club Golf Cap and each hole fully detailed to chart as the Pro’s play them,so that’s kinda cool includes yardage distances and club selection for the pro’s not the hackers.

74. twinfan1 said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm

If he hadn’t been in the 1 for 6 weeks, Pagan would have a better shot for the ASG. As I noted in my rundown the other day, there were 11 OFers last year and he’s one of the 11, give or take a couple, who are deserving this year. Defense is almost never a factor for selecting outfielders so he could still get in if he keeps it up at the plate..

75. Flavor said, on June 7, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Chapman just gave up his first runs of the year. That’s insane. I’ve never been a huge fan mostly because of the walks but he’s cut down on those and having an all star year….