A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Houston Series

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 12, 2012

All right, better late than never……

chipower9 said, on June 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm (Edit)

Melky is back in the line-up:

1. Blanco (L) CF
2. Theriot (R) 2B
3. Cabrera (S) LF
4. Posey (R) C
5. Sandoval (S) 3B
6. Schierholtz (L) RF
7. Belt (L) 1B
8. Crawford (L) SS
9. Bumgarner (R) P

I’ve got  a graduation to go to so I’ll pick this game up sometime after it’s started. Melk back but Pagan out. Any LU that has Nate in it depresses me. Houston isn’t terrible. In fact, though you couldn’t tell it looking at his ERA, I would argue that Bud Norris is their best pitcher so we need to come out hitting tonight. Norris has got good stuff, he’s a K machine. He seems to be able to be had third time through the LU though so hope for us to strike around the 7th…….

For all of you who think Houston is such a push over you could make a case that when Pablo was out their infield of Johnson, Lowrie, Altuve and Lee (who is on the DL now)  are all more productive hitters than our infield of Arias, Crawford, Theriot and Belt.

We SHOULD beat these guys with our dominant pitching but I don’t expect this series to be a cakewalk……

According to the Merc, Brandon Belt is 4th in the NL in AS voting at 1st base. That’s hilarious. Well, he has to hit a bomb at some point this year so I will make my first positive Brandon Belt prediction of the year. He hits a bomb tonight. Possibly 2….

1. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I covered the Houston deal. I’ll repost it.
    “Some were cautioning yesterday that because Houston played us well last year, we should be extra wary this year. Well, it first needs to be said that every team in baseball-including many minor league teams- can win a series against anybody.But it has nothing to do with how the teams fared against each other the previous year. Don’t even need to look at Saberstats- only 2 players who started the last Astros game last year will likely start tonight ( Sandoval, Belt).
    The other starters were Torres, Keppinger, Huff, Orlando Cabrera, Beltran, Whitey. Don’t need to look at who played for Houston, irrelevant.
    Point being: of course Houston should not be taken lightly, no team should- but has nothing at all to do with the previous year’s results.
    Tonight: Bumgarner/Norris
    Huge edge SF on paper-this one should hold up on the field”

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I read that.
      And if you read my thread, I didn’t reference last year’s woeful series a single time. I’d feel more confident if Pagan was playing but, as I said, I think Belt hits his first bomb of the year tonight and that might kickstart this tired offense. Watch out for Lowrie and Altuve–both very good……..

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I read your thread but I wasn’t responding to it. That’s not a knock on it, my earlier post just had more relevance with your new thread.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 5:37 pm

A few people have mentioned last year, didn’t say you did..

2. Nipper said, on June 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Belt is a dud…….so far.

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Who’s better?…

3. snarkk said, on June 12, 2012 at 5:49 pm

BF, hopefully you’re prediction comes true.
    If Belt hits a jack tonight, I’ll eat my hat (or something).
    Two, I’ll eat an extra tamale — and pound two tumblers of rye in celebration…

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 5:58 pm

How much is a tumbler?

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:07 pm

As much as I want…

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:28 pm

It’s good to be the king

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Yeah, it’s good to be king. Until the Queen takes away the tumbler…

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:13 pm

(rimshot)

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm

He’s gotta hit one (or more) at some point. He hit them last year. Tonight seems like a nice night to start hitting them again. Ok guys, I’ll catch you later…..

4. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm

The Belt ASG votes are easily explained- name recognition. Besides having a great baseball name, he has the most famous hole this side of the 18th at Royal St. Andrews.

5. Alleykat said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Well someone needs to hit a HR for the Giants at home sooner or later right?
    It stands at 16 games without a “Bomb” at home for the black and orange.Last Giant to go yard was Dan Ortimeier…(grin)Belt could jump up in his current 4thplace ASG voting LOL with a huge game against Chuck Norris,Dave Norris,oh I meant Bud’s ice cream Norris.

6. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm

“Well someone needs to hit a HR for the Giants at home sooner or later right?”
    Why?

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Becauise it’s just not cricket, dear boy

• blade3colorado said, on June 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm

lqtm . . . good one Teddy!

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Indeed. Shut me up.

7. Bozo said, on June 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Being a wimp tonight, bring home a win Flappers.

8. zumie said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm

The big Bumbino!

9. snarkk said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Kat, you were right, dude. Bum busts the HRless streak, and saves Crawford’s bacon a bit. Where The F did Crawford’s throw come from on that error? I’d put Arias at short tomorrow and give Crawford “a day”, as Bochy says. That kind of error is just bullshit at this juncture of the season…

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:12 pm

They can’t sit him. As poorly as he’s played in the field, they need that bat…

10. Macdog said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Who says the Giants can’t hit a HR at home!

11. unca_chuck said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Bummie gets a repreive.

12. unca_chuck said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Huh. He got under the tag . . .

13. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Not the same, but reminiscent of the infamous blown call on Ishikawa.

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm

My God ! You remeber everything

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Except where I put my wallet. Any ideas?

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Yeah but I promised her I wouldn’t tell you. Professional courtesy

14. Alleykat said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Not a very smart play by Belt..Deadmeat at the plate.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Wrongo, he was safe. It was clear on the replay.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 8:59 pm

And on the safety squeeze the runner breaks for the plate as soon as he sees the bunt has been laid down.

15. TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Fuck. I just logged on and I no longer have the “refresh” icon on my computer. Where the fuck did it go? Now I gotta fuck around with a bunch a shit to annoy youze guys I don’t know how you deal with this shit shit, twin.
    And BTW, Madbum just went into double digits on SO’s…It’s a sign. Time to buy another cow

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:28 pm

v

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm

“I no longer have the “refresh” icon on my computer”
      Tech tip: throw it.

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I don’t know what that means. Do you mean literally throw my computer?

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Well, yes. You didn’t do that yet, did you ? Oh..
        Look, call my attorney. Snarkk, what’s your phone number?

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Oh God Michael, please don’t bring up attorneys. I’ve spent all day arguing with attorneys of what the meaning of a “person” is with attorneys todays who insist a person and a trust with the same person are, legally, two different people. Maybe yes. But can this same individual with two seperate tax identification numbers create a legal Partnership?
        God I hate my life.
        But I love you and all the Flappers.
        And I still can’t find refresh.
        And no I’m not throwing my computer against the wall

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:19 pm

R U creating a partnership with partners = (1) Person X and (2) Trust Y with Person X as trustee?…

• Alleykat said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Damm it Ted.The “refresh” button is permanently stuck in the transporter Captain.
      Scotty to Kirk….I’ve got to have 30 min to start the refresh drive Captain.
      Bones…Dammit Jim I’m a doctor,not a refresh repair man.

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm

But Captain!! Ya cannot change the law of physics!!!

16. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:33 pm

93 pitches-pretty economical for 12 K’s. Bochy says he (Bochy) twisted his ankle. Wotus will handle the pitching changes..

17. Alleykat said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Well Wotus can just sit on his ass..Cause Madbum’s getting the CG tonight.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I think he will. MadBum just pre-Fucked You-ed him..

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 9:49 pm

n

• unca_chuck said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Refresh! You typing one letter at a time, now?

18. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Who was that Ump who gave Livan the 12 foot wide strike zone in the ’97 NLCS (Livan K’ed 15, a few actually on strikes).Thought that guy died.

19. unca_chuck said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Belt!!!

20. Macdog said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Flav nails it!

21. unca_chuck said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Ted, try the F5 key . . .

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Thanks chuck. Gave more stuff to look at but didn;t quite work yet. But seriously, thanks. I’ll figure this out.

In a year or two

22. TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Craig/Flav called it !!!

23. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Do you realize how much we will regret that HR?
    Good call, asshole 😉

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm

hahahahaha

24. SanDawg said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Great call Flav!

25. unca_chuck said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Good call Flav . . . . . . next thing you know, Burriss will jack one.

26. Alleykat said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Ted, Probably heard this one, but what the hell…
    Why do they bury lawyers 12 ft down instead of 6?
    Cause deeper down their better people…

Holy Kazaam Batman….Stop the presses Brandon Belt goes yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Thanks kat. Despite your poor spelling—-funny 😉

27. unca_chuck said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Let’s hope that opens a floodgate of sorts . . .

28. Salty Dog said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Only 57 degress..wtf?

29. Alleykat said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Belt had to homer…..After “Snots “HR he noticed Bochy was fitting him for a 1B glove.

30. Macdog said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Maybe Flav can predict a W before Timmy’s next start.

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Let us hope

31. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I love Belt and I like the heck out of Craig- but I was doing what we baseball people call the “Reverse Fisk”…

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Please expain, Gracie

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:25 pm

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:30 pm

The Reverse Fisk: trying to wave it foul 😉

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Ah. Of course, Michael. Thanks. And…funny

32. snarkk said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:23 pm

BF, the fuckr, called the Belt dinger. And, against a lefty, as we’ve tried to educate Bochy all along.
    I’m happily chewing on the brim of my black fedora.
    And, naturally, I’ve fired up a tumbler to celebrate it — out of rye, so bourbon will have to suffice..
    Belt also smoked that liner for an out earlier. Maybe he’s getting in a groove. Hope so…

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm

BYW, snarkk, my situation is I had a client with a father and a daughter with a partnership account and the father passed away. So the daughter, who was the trustee on the decedent’s trust account wants to make the trust account the new partner of the partnership account. But my problem is, yeah we are taking about two seperate entities with seperate TINs but overall I have a partnership with just *one* individual as both partners. Legally it kind of makes sense but it seems like…slightly a bit…uhm…wrong

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Well, I don’t know what type of trust this is, nor what the “partnership account” is, or what the partnership agreement says about what happens to the partnership on the death of the father, or whether this is a general (I assume it is that) or ltd. partnership. But, in general, the TINs aren’t really the dispositive factor re: whether a partnership works from a legal perspective. If it’s a CA partnership, I’d say that combination is not a formation problem since an individual and an entity can be partners, regardless that the trustee and individual are the same. That is not uncommon — individuals acting for themselves and as trustees for a trust are often partners or LLC members or tenants in common. From a tax perspective, the individual and the trust file separate individual and trust returns using K-1s reported from the partnership, and the PS should still file it’s own form 1065 entity return, as before. If the lawyers are saying it’s OK from legal and tax, it sounds to me on the outside looking it that they’re probably right. My question to a client is does it make sense from an operating perspective, i.e., is there a real reason outside of tax to do this? The foregoing is not meant to be tax or legal advice, and consult your own professionals, etc., and all that bullshit…

• TedSpe said, on June 13, 2012 at 12:37 am

No, seriously, thanks snarkk. I appreciate it. You’re kind of stating what I feel.
        See, I’ve just been trying to figure out, since the decedent has more than one child and, and I hate to sound like I’m racially profiling but I am, they are a Chinese family and the trustee is the daughter, well…this could get sticky. The way I look at it, if I allow the account to be opened either way, I’m looking at a lawsuit from either side with both parties having possible legal precedents. If it were up to me ( and I’ve already told this to my superiors) don’t open the account and let them take it to another bank. But we’re also dealing with the parties involved, in one way or another , with numerous loans. and….ah, fuck it. Sorry to burden you but thanks for the thoughts. You’re a real mensch. And I mean that.

• TedSpe said, on June 13, 2012 at 12:44 am

And seriously, I just re-read what you wrote. I think you’re making complete sense. I still think we’ll get sued by one party or the other, even if it is defensible, one way or the other no matter what I decide. I’m going to get our lawyers’ opinion in writing tomorrow just to give myself safe harbor on all this.
        Thanks again so much

33. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Funny funny comment from Belt- he’s “trying to get the swing to where it was in the past..”

34. Alleykat said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm

OK, Next round of Homer less Giants…..Matt Cain vs Emanuel Burriss ….
    Taking Cain easily.Could add the Freak and Vogy as well, Zito even money.

35. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:49 pm

If Manny could get a grounder down the RF line and get a good carom, he could, as they say “run for awhile”…

36. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2012 at 10:58 pm

6 through 9: 6 for 12 2 HR 5 RBI.
    Just heard, Estes called MadBum’s HR. Just wondering: who called Kuiper’s?

• TedSpe said, on June 12, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Lon Simmons?

• twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2012 at 7:04 am

At the risk of having missed a good joke in your answer, Ted- I meant that Estes predicted the Bumbino’s HR and then I tried a “funny” by wondering who called (predicted) Kuiper’s.
        It’s early, I think I’ll just throw the computer against the wall and try again later, when I’ll be more refreshed..

37. willieD said, on June 13, 2012 at 7:26 am

OK, imo the 9th was mishandled; Romo should have been left in after belt HR; with SF now up 6-2 I don’t get having burriss hit for him just because crawford got the bloop single. Let romo K, and be done with it.
    Instead, hensley lopez and casilla had to get up, throw warm ups in the pen plus on the mound, and throw more pitches to get guys out in the 9th. I understand maybe it would have made romo unavailable for anything except one guy tonite, but having 3 guys go through this when your best guy could have handled a 4 run lead/3 outs to get by himself seems like a colossal waste.

38. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2012 at 8:19 am

Bochy knows better than you, me, or anyone else on handling the pen. As soon as Belt hit the HR, neither Romo or Casilla was starting the ninth, it had zero to do with hitting for Sergio. I know you are incorrectly worried about the pen getting worn out by the end of the year but it has never happened under Bochy’s watch even when Zito and Sanchez were both in the rotation. He’s the best, period.

39. unca_chuck said, on June 13, 2012 at 8:37 am

Yeah, got to go with Mike on that one. When the situation isn’t a save situiation (shut up Dennis), you let the underlings try and nail it down. When they couldn’t, you bring in the big guns. Besides, Romo’s still working through his knee issues, so I’m sure Bochy didn’t want to stretch him too far.

When Romo came in, the game was still a save situation (4-2). After the G’s scored 2 in the bottom of the 8th, it wasn’t a save situation. Until it then again was a save situation when Hensley and Lopez couldn’t close the door.

40. ewisco said, on June 13, 2012 at 9:08 am

nate seems to be starting one of his hitting streaks but i don’t see how you break up that outfield. Blanco’s been scuffling a bit but Pagan seems to hit so much better down in the order that i’d hate to see him up top. But with everyone healthy, maybe for today you go: pagan, melky, posey, sandoval, nate, belt, theriot, arias, cain?