A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

What are YOUR Thoughts?

Posted in Uncategorized by chipower9 on June 26, 2012

First, I want to thank Flavor once again for this opportunity to contribute to the continuing metamorphous of THE absolute best San Francisco Giant blog. Sincerely, thanks Craig. I also want to thank the other 12 Stable Boys, Dirty Dozen, or as Ted penned, Twelve Knights, for “stepping up to the plate” to assist in “Keeping the Flap Flappin.” And with that…I toss you your next bone.

As we near the mid-point of yet another entertaining year of Giant baseball, and watch different Giants “rise and shine,” there is a topic on which I have been reflecting recently. I thought this particular topic would make for “good Flapper discussion” at this juncture of the season.

One thing that could potentially have an impact on this topic is the wholesale changes to our Giants team this year (yep, Sabes was at it again). There were many changes to this year’s team in comparison to the 2011 squad. Some of the new Giants have unequivocally and consistently contributed, such as Melky Cabrera. Melky not only leads the Majors in hits and is fourth in BA, but he has also spawned the whole “Melk Man” craze, and is on the verge of being voted to the All Star team. You also have the likes of Gregor Blanco (The White Shark) who unexpectedly made the team out of ST, and when given his chance, has overall been a pleasant surprise in the lead-off spot. Blanco’s historic catch was one of the big reasons Cain chalked-up the first Perfect Game in franchise history.

Then you have guys who have been rocking the Orange and Black for some time. At the top of this list you have the longest-tenured Giant on the team, the man that most refer to as “The Horse” who quietly and consistently gets it done, and also tossed the only “Perfecto” in Giant franchise history this year.

If you haven’t yet figured it out…the topic I throw out for discussion today is the Willie Mac Award. Per the Baseball Almanac “The Willie Mac Award is named in honor of Giants Hall of Fame slugger Willie McCovey. The Willie Mac Award is bestowed upon the San Francisco Giants player who best exemplifies the spirit and leadership consistently shown by theSan Francisco legend throughout his career.”

As we all know this award is voted on by the Giant players and coaches, and is awarded to the recipient by Stretch himself. Many Giants have said it is the award that means the most to them, because again, it is voted on by the Giant players and coaches.

The first Willie Mac was presented to Jack “The Ripper” Clark in 1980, who at the time was almost exactly in the middle of 10 years of representing theOrangeand Black. And in contrast, last year’s recipient Ryan Vogelsong was in his first year back with the club after being drafted by the Giants, subsequently getting traded, and then bouncing all over the baseball landscape (hell, he even did a stint in Japan).

In between? Well, there are many who most Flappers would knowingly give the Flapper Dude affirmative nod, such as Robby Thompson, Jose Uribe, or even Bob Brenly. Then there are a few who were a bit of a head-scratcher (or, at least they were for me) such as Mark Carreon who shared the award with Mark Leiter in 1995. (By the way, the award has been shared between two players only twice.) And then one thing that I still cannot believe…Will Clark never won the award.

This blog is filled with those who love theOrangeand Black…who live and breathe all things Giants…and who are passionate about this team. I truly love talking baseball with all of you and I value your perspective and thoughts. And with that, I ask you…

Right now in 2012…

74 games in…

Who would be YOUR vote for the 2012 Willie Mac Award?

1. blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:07 am

Weatherproof games: Cardinals-Marlins, Padres-Astros and Athletics-Mariners

Tuesday evening’s weather appears to be mostly dry across the land. Blue Jays-Red Sox could experience a midgame rain delay, but there is not even a hint of wet weather in any of the other 11 roofless stadiums hosting major league games on Tuesday night.

2. blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:10 am

Slam dunk IMO Matt Cain wins the Willie McCovey award.

3. ewisco said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:28 am

right NOW, it’s got to be Cain. some interesting plot lines developing though. the last two winners have been more in the way of unexpected, scrappy contributions. If that theme continues, blanco may be able to make a case. Should the incredible occur, you could make a case for zito. what happens if timmy not only recovers from his rough start but goes on to simply dominate the last part of the season? That would be quite a story and the kind of rags to riches story that catapulted Torres and Vogelsong to the title. Melky would have to be considered though he’s no where near the leader that Cain is. but i never would have used the word “leader” for either Torres or Voggy.

• blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:41 am

Ewisco, good points regarding other possible candidates that could unseat Cainer, should the scenarios you described come to pass. Great post!

By the by, good job Chi!

4. willieD said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:49 am

mmm often as not goes to an unsung guy, more like Theriot. There is something to be said for vet presence; by all accounts he has helped crawford settle down and keep his spirits up. Imo this award might have just as much to do with clubhouse as how much is contributed on the field. Good topic, chi.
    I’ve been saying this for a little while and I didn’t see anything to change my mind last night: outside of kemp and ethier, LA doesn’t have anyone better than SF at any other position. Craw is a better defensive SS than gordon hands down, and all their LF suck. Adam Kennedy, James Loney, JH jr. (who will not hit .309 all year, pls), Uribe, the kids ellis and herrera, dejesus and gwynn….sorry , I don’t see it.
    Sure Kershaw is still tough, but Barbs has been lit up, and their pen doesn’t measure up to Gaints either. Z outduels them–how many times we said that lately?

5. Nipper said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:53 am

Cain

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:56 am

Great post Chi. I would go with Cain but Vogelsong is a close second.

ewisco, good point on Zito. If nothing else he’s shown Lincecum how to “wear it”.

• ewisco said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

thank you kind sir. Ann Killiion on CSN was saying how Vogey took Tim aside and coached him on focusing this anger. don’t just be mad, know what your’re mad at. an interesting season awaits.

7. Flavor said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:58 am

As Chi pointed out (and WillieD reiterated) it often goes to an unsung guy. And it doesn’t get much more *unsung* than Carreon–I have a vague recollection of him being on the team but that’s it. Last year I wrote a thread about my WM winner being Mota. You can read that here:

So in keeping with that theme I am going to throw out MY vote and depending on how the year goes I could actually see it happening.
    My Willie Mac Award Winner for 2012: Barry Zito
    This guy looked completely done in Spring training. What does he do? His first start is a complete game shutout in Colorado. He has gone on to have several other very good starts with last night’s pearl the most recent example. And Zito was down and out again going into that start. And once again he stepped up and produced. His teammates love him and those type of man-up performances don’t go unnoticed by the players. Would he win the award TODAY? No, I agree that it would go to Cain or maybe Melky for his “lead by example” approach to playing.
    But if Zito keeps this year together, finishes with an ERA around 4.00 and ends the year with 14-15 wins after he looked FINISHED in Spring Training? Don’t say I didn’t warn you, that could absolutely happen……

• Flavor said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:58 am

and I just saw that ewisco has suggested this already this morning. Good man. It pays to read the thread before I post, I guess, lol

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

pffft, who reads the thread???

8. Alleykat said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:01 am

It has to Matt Cain by a landslide.He is everything right about being a Giant.Class act,heart and soul of what the Orange and Black stands for.Could have signed anywhere else this off season for a hella lot more scratch, but said this is only where I wanted to be.Cain is just an exceptional human being!!!!!

9. chipower9 said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:16 am

Excellent comments all…and all very valid. There is still over half the season to play, so there is still a ton of time for someone to really come on and exemplify the spirit of the WM award.

But, if I had to pick someone right now, it would be Cain…and for many of the same reasons shared by other Flappers. The thing that stands out about Cain for me is for years he got shit run support while having top-10 stats for all starters, but you NEVER heard the man whine about not getting support from his team. He continues to take the ball every five days and lead by example.

I also agree with what Kat said about Matt having every opportunity to hit the FA market and try to max out the market…but he walked the walk after frequently talking the talk, and signed with our beloved Giants.

Agree there are a number of guys who could get it, but for me, Cain is the man right now.

And, Cain would be the first and only three-time winner of the award. Krukow, J.T. Snow, and Bengie are the other two-time winners.

10. willieD said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:29 am

I was thinking about mota last night…anyone heard anything? I don’t recall when the 100 games started, so would he be eligible to return sometime mid-August? I’d assume a guy his age and experience would be staying in reasonable shape to come back, esp if SF has a chance for another ring. No one in NL stands out to me as being head and shoulders above the others, and SF has the pitching to take short series, again.
    Yanks are dominating right now…rematch of 62 would be epic, and I bet all the guys like WMac who were there would be fired up.

11. Salty Dog said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:29 am

Chi, Cain has only won it once (09).

I think he’s the logical front runner. Posey coming off the injury would be the one to beat him out, imo. And catchers are a popular choice, with Brenly, Manwaring, Santiago, Metheny and Molina all winners.

• chipower9 said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:37 am

You are right, Dog…not sure why I thought he had won it twice. Nice slant on the receivers, too.

12. DJLoo said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:37 am

Kat: Cain could not have gotten more money unless he went to play in Dubai.

Willie: Mota is a fat slob. He makes Mickey Lolich look like Mark Spitz.

Dog: Totally agree on Posey for the Willie Mac.

• willieD said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:47 am

agreed on mota, but I was thinking more about his arm still having life than his waistline. If Posey can help get zito and lincecum through this season and keep rest of staff performing well plus keep his avg up, he’d get my vote.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:58 am

Well, Hector is handling Zito, not Posey. Hey, if Craig’s scenario ( 4 ERA, 14-15 wins) actually became a reality, maybe it’s Hector who should get the award.

13. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

I find it amazing that a guy who has made a terrific recovery from an extremely serious injury is getting no support. It’s Posey, IMO. As to Cain, he’s getting votes on his perfect game and performance, which rarely is what drives the vote. And he got market value, we got no discount.
    This not a knock on a great Giant- but Posey should be the winner. Cain *could* win and I’d expect he and Posey to be the only candidates with a significant vote total.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:41 am

Glad someone beat me to it. It’s takes me a long time to type, I guess I should refresh the page before I post.

14. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:47 am

I think it’s early September, Willie, but I’m not sure.

Cain’s the obvious choice, and well-deserved, but you’ve got Buster coming off his horrific injury, you got Melky quietly coming in and playing huge, or even the White Shark, another under-the-radar acquisition that is paying huge dividends. Panda could even gain traction should he catch fire down the stretch.

Shit, give it to Sabean for revamping the entire outfield from a motley crue of anemic hitters to a speedy potent group of hungery hitters. Arias and Theriot have even pitched in when Pablo went down, and burris proved to no tbe up to the challenge.

15. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:50 am

With Posey, it’s not just performance that will make him the winner- it’s All-Star level performance coming off the injury. Voters love that shit- anywhere. Romney’s only chance is to show he had polio as a child.. and overcame it to become an All State sprinter

16. eddacker said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:02 am

Right now I see Matt as our strongest player, for all the reasons already mentioned in other posts. These traits Cain exhibits are admired, each and everyone of them and more ball players should have them. The WM has a lot to do with leading by example on the field and in the clubhouse. I can see no better example to follow dressed in the O&B; Right now it is Cain.

Zito could be the guy. He has certainly been to the outhouse and could rise to the penthouse. He has his own way of quite leadership that could translate to WM status. But not now, still the Cainer.

Posey was one of my first thoughts. Any backstop can be a team leader as Brently’s award proves. Posey, like Bob, is intellegent and liked by his team-mates. Posey has come back from a serious injury and is playing well this season. He will probably be the starting catcher for the NL ASG. But when Cain told the world he just followed Buster for the perfect game I heard him say, “Humble victory, hope I can teach it to you.” (right now?) Still Matt. (by a head) heads above the rest.

That leaves the dark horse canidate and I could only see Romo. Loved by his team-mates and active in the community, but not enough on the field support for him right now.

I usually choose to be surprised by these awards, especially when clubhouse knowledge, of which I have none, is a major requirement for a best guess.

Excellent question Chi, let’s do this again after the San Diego series in July and see if anyone’s picks change.

• ewisco said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:40 am

great point about Romo, hadn’t thought about him at all. I also like the points about Posey. An excellent discussion and just the kind of genuine frontier gibberish that a good blog should elicit. nice job chi!

17. Macdog said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

Since Cain’s already won it, I have to go with Buster just for coming back from that gruesome injury and playing like it never even happened. It doesn’t get more inspirational than that. Blanco’s a darkhorse candidate if he can keep up his solid play, and Flav made a good case for Zito. Still over half a season left, so plenty of baseball left to decide this.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:28 am

I interpeted the question to be who you would vote for now. Craig made a case for Zito if he met certain criteria by the end of the year.

• DJLoo said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:36 am

Why? Because it said this?:

Right now in 2012…

74 games in…

Who would be YOUR vote for the 2012 Willie Mac Award?

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:42 am

Dat be it.

18. eddacker said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

I just found out that Blanco’s catch has been web gem numero uno since the 13th. (takes a while for news to reach here from the colonies; this independence thing is still listed as a rumor.)

Any way, it does my pea-pickin’ little heart good to have my Gmen being solid web gemsmen with all that east coast bias.

19. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:25 am

I have no idea how we’ve all missed this but the winner should be Nicole Vogelsong, who has quite obviously inspired at least two of our pitchers to All-Star level performance.
    “The wives of the city have a huge responsibility to keep their men happy and healthy. Look at my husband, he was a total bum in Pittsburgh. Atrocious. It was then I heard from God I wasn’t fulfilling my need in the bedroom, like most women.”

• eddacker said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:34 am

I do not believe someone would say that in public.
      I did think she was very excited during Cain’s final inning
      Can they handle the boss in boss ton?

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:42 am

It *may* be a spoof, but it’s viral on the Web, Edd..Here’s one:

In general, it’s a terrible idea to find out much about the player’s personal beliefs and those of their wives.

• eddacker said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:07 am

well, Mike, that is what I meant when I said: I do not believe . . .

I think the bit: “management has now given her permission to pray over and in the lockers . . .” was enough for me

🙂

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:21 am

I don’t believe it, either, but so what? And anyone who has been around the block at all knows these Jesus freak girls will fuck your eyes out in the name of the Lord…Hell, I just logged on to Facebook and invited her to be my friend.. Her answer: “Is Noon OK?”

• zumiee said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

The vast majority of cult leaders play upon that and have harums. Brigham Young, David Koresh, Charles Manson, etc.

• zumiee said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:38 am

Anyone ever read about the House of David traveling baseball team? A religious cult that had its own barnstorming baseball team. I saw a photo of their headquarters one time. A few guys and a vast number of women. A harum. Typical cult. Cult leaders are pretty predictable in this way.

20. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:03 am

Good gravy. I was going to relate the scene in the last Timmy start where Vogie sat with Timmy during the 3rd inning and was giving him a pep talk, or advice of some kind. I thought that’s a pretty cool thing for him to do, being the journeyman that he was, and suddenly becoming a mentally tough pitcher.

But Vogie’s wife takes direction in the boudouir from God? How creepy is that?

I should have used that myself back in the day. “Come on, baby, God said I should stick it up your ass.”

21. SanDawg said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:06 am

I agree with Buster for Willie Mac. I don’t think any of us expected him to bounce back this well after such a bad injury—plus the guy has been nothing but classy dealing with the whole situation.
    Beating LA soundly with Zito on the mound is a bonus wrapped in a gift shrouded in providence. Hats off to Barry on a great performance.
    Nice job Chi! You made Hangtown proud!

• chipower9 said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:23 am

Thanks, Dawg…I appreciate it.

“Beating LA soundly with Zito on the mound is a bonus wrapped in a gift shrouded in providence.” That is some heavy shit…I like it!

22. chipower9 said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:22 am

Mota was mentioned earlier (Craig), and his suspense date (May 7th), and being a fat slob (Loo)…and someone questioned when he would be eligible to return (100 game suspension). He would be eligible on Sunday, August 26.

So hypothetically, come August 26th he is available and in good shape. Do the Giants bring him back? Who goes if he returns?

If you were Sabes/Bochy, would you bring him back?

23. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:23 am

Of course none of this is really verifiable, but it got posted on Tumblr:

Nicole Vogelsong to cast out the demons of Cody Ross in the locker room

Nicole Vogelsong is known to have a strong relationship with Jesus, along with Nate Schierholtz and his wife, and Jeremy Affeldt and his lovely wife. It’s no surprise that she heard from the Lord that the reason the Giants are not playing well has to do with Cody “The Boss” Ross.

My first thought was, Cody Ross is in Boston, what’s he have to do with the Giants not playing well?

“The Lord told me Cody’s off-field antics in Marina bars, especially Tacolicious, have had a huge spiritual impact on the locker room,” Nicole went on to tell Calvary Outer Mission Pastor, Ronald Ronaldson. “The locker room needs to be prayed over to cleanse the residue The Boss left before heading to the Red Sox.”

Not sure what that really means, but ok.

Now that makes total sense.

Ryan Vogelsong, who looked sharp all of 2011 – and again to start this season, seems to have found the answer.

“No disrespect to Cody, but he was a dirtbag when he was in town. Nothing like the rest of the men occupying lockers at AT&T.”

Nicole now has permission from Bruce Bochy, Brian Sabean, and Larry Baer to pray over and inside each and every locker. This, hoping it cures the slump of every caucasian player struggling offensively.

After she’s done with the locker room, will someone tell he she needs to pull the demon from Lincecum? Or Bruce Bochy for leaving him in over 120 pitches last night.

____________________________________

My favorite quote is “No disrespect to Cody, but . . .”

Too fucking funny. “I mean no disrespect, Cody, but you are the Devil’s spawn.”

And, isn’t it usually the case when someone says, “no disrespect, but . . ” is followed by the most awful thing you can say about someone else?

• zumiee said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:29 am

That all sounds like the McCovey Chronicles guy, and is the reason I rarely check into McCovey Chronicles. It may not be McCovey Chronicles, but it’s a similar style.

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:24 am

That’s fucking hilarious, chuck

24. zumiee said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:25 am

Buster would win the award now, IMO. Zito could muddy the water with a strong second half of the season.

• Nipper said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:38 am

Zito? Please!

25. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:25 am

Damn straight, Chi. Good, bad, or indifferent, he is a damn good pitcher. Look at the cast of characters who couldn’t cover for him. Otero and Edlefson to name a couple.

26. willieD said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m reading clyde frazier book from 2006 “Game within the game”, a little underwhelming from the insights viewpoint. Mostly he complains about selfishness of point guards and others, lack of balance and over all games of players and teams, money and greed, players getting coaches fired or demanding trades, etc.
    I saw clyde play the Warriors a few times, and one night GS was blowing them out, and some Knicks fans in the rafters stood up chanting for rookie bench warmer Ed Mast, “We want Mast We want Mast.” so Holzman finally puts him in, and as he’s at the scorer’s table one of the guys stands up and yells, “I didn’t mean it Eddie.”

27. chipower9 said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:39 am

Zumiee – how were the Avett Brothers at the Greek? Kick ass show in Sacto Sunday night at The Grove (Woodlake Inn).

• zumiee said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:43 am

Chi, awesome show at the Greek, too. Can’t believe their energy, and how they can rock an arena with mostly acoustic instruments. Extremely talented, and a lot of fun. And it’s encouraging to see so many young adults in the crowd, supporting real music with real instruments. The idea that all young people listen to techno music is a myth.

• chipower9 said, on June 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Yes…real mix of ages in the Sac crowd. Lots of 20- and 30-somethings…and lots of old farts like me (50s, etc.), and also a few folks who had their kids with them.

And yes…great energy…really engaged with the crowd.

It was my girlfriend’s introduction to the Avetts and she loved them. I bought her a t-shirt…she’s an official groupie, now. 😉

28. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:44 am

As to Mota, I think he’s still on the 40-man so they could just activate him when the active roster expands on September 1.

• chipower9 said, on June 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I would not be surprised it that happens. I think he still has some gas in the tank and can help the team in the stretch run.

29. zumiee said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:50 am

I think Loo mentioned blonde actresses of the ’50s….according to the DiMaggio bio, Joe burned a swath through the blond New York showgirls of mid 1930s-1950s. He was married during some of those years to a blond aspiring actress, Dorothy Arnold. And of course, later married Marilyn.

30. zumiee said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:54 am

Sad fact about DiMaggio’s family, the son he had with Dorothy later became a substance abuser, and after Joe died in 1999, Joe, Jr. took some of his inheritance money, bought a bunch of heroin, and died of an overdose, six months after his father died.

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:30 am

Way to lighten up a room, zumie 😉

31. Kevin said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:18 am

well there could be a third time it is shared, Zito/Posey, or a threesome, Zito/Cain/Posey, never know

• ewisco said, on June 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm

apparently you can’t have a threesome without nicole.

32. Nipper said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:28 am

I predict it will definitely be a GIANT.

33. TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:29 am

Great post and topic, chi. Well played, sir. But given the parameters, if I had to vote today, yeah I’d go with the Posey camp considering a seamless transition from RoY through a nasty injury to his play today. That being said, if you had asked me 3 of his starts ago, I would have picked Zito: Prince of Darkness for covering Lincecum’s ass up to that point.

34. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:32 am

So Mrs. Vogelsong is the bible thumper version of Anna Benson?

• Irish Kevin said, on June 26, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I don’t think so, not with measurements like these

Born (1976-02-12) February 12, 1976 (age 36)
      Mableton, Georgia, U.S.
      Height 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Hair color Brunette
      Measurements 34DD-24-34
      Spouse Kris Benson (1999 – Present)

35. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm

NL ASG Voting with 3 days left:

C Posey 1
    1B Belt 4
    SS Crawford 5
    3B Panda 2
    OF Melky 4
    OF Pagan 8

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I still think we’ll get four, a totally reasonable number, IMO :
      Posey
      Melky
      Cain
      Flip a coin: Bumgarner, Vogelsong, yes-Casilla

36. chipower9 said, on June 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I know the middle relievers/set-up guys get little consideration, but Romo is deserving. Look at all qualifying pitchers, and those with anywhere from 7-10 innings and up, he is lights-out.

27 G, 20.1 IP, 3 saves/3 opps, 10 H, 2 R/2 ER, 1 HR, 6 BB 28 Ks, Opp Avg = .146, 0.89 ERA and 0.79 WHIP.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I know he’s deserving, just don’t think he’ll be considered.

37. eddacker said, on June 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm

if anyone needs to know the game tonight is the free game on mlb.com

38. blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm

As always, the only 100% prescient Flapper seer, is again Nipper (not withstanding Flav’s no hitter prediction).

39. snarkk said, on June 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Right now — Posey, Blanco, Cain in that order

• chipower9 said, on June 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm

For the Willie Mac, snarkk?

• unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

ASG

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I think Snarkk should answer that. Blanco instead of Melky for the ASG? Don’t think so..and no pitchers? I’d be shocked if that was Snarkk’s ASG choices- he doesn’t give a hoot about who makes it anyway

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Yeah, that’s gotta be for the Willie Mac

• blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Obviously, this is the Willie Mac award. Besides, when does anyone have to answer any frickin’ question posed here? Too funny . . .

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I want answers, mister!!!

• unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Ha ha ha. You think Snarkk should answer that? Sure he should. But he didn’t.

Maybe it’s some other criteria.

• blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Lt. Commander Philip Francis Queeg: Aboard my ship, excellent performance is standard, standard performance is sub-standard, and sub-standard performance is not permitted to exist – that, I warn you.

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm

It was the strawberries

• blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Captain Queeg: Ahh, but the strawberries that’s… that’s where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with… geometric logic… that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I’d have produced that key if they hadn’t of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers…

40. DJLoo said, on June 26, 2012 at 3:00 pm

And here’s to you, Mrs. Vogelsong,
    Jesus loves you more than you will know.
    God bless you, please Mrs. Vogelsong.
    Heaven holds a place for those who pray,
    Hey, hey, hey

41. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Blanco RF, Theriot 2B, Cabrera LF, Posey C, Pagan CF, Sandoval 3B, Belt 1B, Arias SS, (Vogelsong P)

42. DJLoo said, on June 26, 2012 at 4:01 pm

It’s good for the Giants, but WTF are the Astros back at ATT after the break?
    Two trips to SF for a non-div opponent one month apart no less.
    It still bugs me that the Giants make only one trip to NY per year.

• Macdog said, on June 26, 2012 at 4:42 pm

The Giants have probably had an extra series against an NL Central team ever since the Brewers joined the league and it became a 6-team divisoin. Last year it was Cubs, in 2010 it was Houston, in 2009 the Brewers. This year it’s the Astros again. It’s probably the same for all the NL West and NL East teams.

• DJLoo said, on June 26, 2012 at 5:29 pm

OK, but I don’t get the logic behind it. How does one more team in the league equate to one more series when you’re still playing 162? If anything they should play them less…

43. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Tell that to the 49ers. Their last 3 times (well, including the season opener this year) playing Green Bay have been in Green Bay.

Scheduling is a joke. There will be more of the same next year when we get all interleague all the time.

• snarkk said, on June 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Yeah, WTF is with THAT?…

44. snarkk said, on June 26, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I’ve been on the road and busy trying to make a buck since my last post this morning.
    That post was my current nomination list for the WMac award.
    The stuff on Vogy’s wife and Cody Ross was crazy, that’s just too much.
    Hope Vogy’s wife has her quarters lined up for the prayer line tonight with the Dodger Ace going…

• DJLoo said, on June 26, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Did you sell any vacuum cleaners?

• blade3colorado said, on June 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Yeah Loo, he tried to sell me a Dyson at the game we went to . . . I didn’t mind that, but it was quite embarrassing when he brought the display model into the bar we went to before the game and he started vacuuming between the patrons. 🙂

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2012 at 7:22 pm

On an episode of “Taxi,” Jim Ignatowski thought he was selling vacuum cleaners, opened up his suitcase and pulled out an encyclopedia and asked, “Where do I plug this in?”

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm

If it’s on the Web it must be true..

45. Alleykat said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Nice to see this Giant team stealing bases,(Blanco,MelksPagan,a suprising Theriot,even Belt) they stunk so bad last year,they just used Whitey to PR for the hell of it.Think their like 3rd in the NL this year,what a freakin turnaround.Sabes get some credit for finally figuring out how to use them team properly by adding more speed this team deseperatly needed.And with Gary

• Flavor said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

well, we had no speed and no power last year. As I said at the time, that’s a bad combo. And you’re right, Sabes absolutely targeted at least one of those areas this Winter—when he hit the exacta on Melky and Pagan and then turned it into a trifecta with Blanco, it was clear he was targeting something—-and if it wasn’t power then it was……

46. Alleykat said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:21 pm

The Melkman Delivers !!!!!!!!!!!! Next Melk Delivery ASG Starter!!!

47. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Got to love Ethier lollygagging that throw to the cutoff man. Pagan ran on that crap throw.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Pagan ran through Flannery’s stop sign just like Pablo did the other night. Why have The Flan Man there in the first place if they’re not going to obey his signals?

48. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm

That’s twice in the last week that Flannery has tried to hold guys who could have walked in…I think the other was Panda. He scored standing up.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Damn , I’m getting scooped by everybody

49. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:53 pm

They keep playing like this and they won’t be “My” Dodgers much longer.
    As Sir Charles would say, “They’re turrible.”

50. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Shit. Come on Panda.

51. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm

And once again they fail to adhere to Flannery’s commands…He was waving Melky over to third and he just stood there. Mutiny on the Flannery?

• unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

The Flanny man can cuz he mixes it with love and makes it all taste good.

52. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Don;t know if Panda’s losing weight, but he’s looking pretty agile out there.

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

yes, he’s looking agile and no…he’s not losing weight

• Flavor said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:12 pm

looks BIG to me but not TOO big. And Flannery, for all the jacking off Kruk and Kuip give him, seems to be nothing special as a 3rd base coach. I’m never saying to myself, “Wow, what a move by The Flan Man!!!!”

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:16 pm

And then the question arises (pardon the pun), since Kruk and Kuip make *way* more money then Flannery…why are they jacking *him* off?

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm

..well, may be a contract thing…

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Being conservative hasn’t been his M.O., though. On the Pagan run, Pagan picked up the RFer himself, I don’t know what Flannery was looking at..

53. TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Awwwwww…..
    Cain’s daughter looks *just* like him.

Hope she gets asked to the prom

54. TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:22 pm

uhm…oops

55. Flavor said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Todd Coffee—wow, that’s, uh, an interesting front side he’s rolling with. He might have to pay a little more then Kemp and Ethier do for their whores……

56. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Representing the Black & Orange at Turner Field, as Tweeted by Craig Patterson, featured in “Baseball’s Starry Night”:

‏@CraigDesign

@kocakwords, Sam and I. In reverse order. Great to meet you in person, enjoyed the talk. Hope it was a good night. http://pic.twitter.com/ftQcJNxr

It was a GREAT night.

57. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I know it’s just one game, but Arizzzzzona looked awful: sloppy defense, terrible start for Daniel Hudson (Hudson v. Hudson), who came out because he was “injured” although maybe he just wanted to get out of the mess he was in; Josh Collmenter came in and aimed the ball. BEFORE the game, although I did not see it, Paul Goldschmidt apparently launched a BP homer five rows or so into left field squarely into the forehead of a woman, who was tended to by medics. There was no word on whether she was related to Tim Lincecum.

• unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm

It was a lame — and clearly too obscure — joke on my part, underscoring how Goldschmidt KILLS Timmy.

58. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

C-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-casilla!

59. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Doesn’t it seem that there are 29 Hairstons in the bigs

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I know, and who is the father who is child to the man or cousin to the in-law’s sister’s brother twice removed?

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:03 pm

That would make it….OH MY GOD!! IT’S YOU PAWLIE!!!

60. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Oh fuck….

61. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 9:59 pm

One of Angel’s better catches, that looked like a gapper.

62. unca_chuck said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Nevermind.

Tedspe, ballgame!

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:23 pm

BALLGAME
      Forgive me, I was on the phone

63. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:06 pm

First time since April 2002 that Giants have shut out the Dodgers twice in a row. G’night from Atlanta.

• Irish Kevin said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I thought I heard one of the announcers say 1987? Anyone else hear when it was??

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Missed it. chief

64. Macdog said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Blank L.A.! Blank L.A.!

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:04 pm

What are you, fucking nipper?

65. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I don’t know WTF Vogey’s wife is doing or saying, but she needs to keep on keeping on. Her man is on.

• ewisco said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:14 pm

it wouldn’t hurt for her to speak to mrs. wisco either.

66. demp28 said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Greetings Orange and Black Nation! My best friend, chipower9, got me introduced to this site to talk all things Giants baseball. Now, I’m no Marty Lurie or Bruce Jenkins or even Baggs, but I do have knowledge of the game as well as Giants past and present. I am looking forward to sharing opinions with the Dirty Dozen or the 12 desciples, or whatever you call yourselves. LOL. Just got done watching Vogel-STRONG pitch the Giants past Los Bumbinos and now 1 game back. I understand the Willie Mac Award was the topic of discussion today, and I have casted my vote for “Shotgun” Cain. Going to wind down for the night now. Thank you all for welcoming in to the world of all things Giants baseball.

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Welcome demp28
      Weird ID but. Whatever.
      Be prepared for insanity.
      Especially from…. heh heh heh heh

67. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Chi is one of my very favorite posters ever. Welcome, Demp.

68. zumiee said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:25 pm

This is Giants baseball. Use the ballpark and use it well. Make the visitors hate coming here. It wasn’t cool hearing about how comfortable Kershaw was pitching here. This is huge beating that guy again.

69. Irish Kevin said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:26 pm

We could always use a new opinion out here, welcome indeed

70. zumiee said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Tomorrow is Timmy’s biggest game since the ’10 World Series. I’ll be in section 315 trying to will him on to victory. Come on, Timmy!

71. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Forgot to congatulate Chi on a great job- you got people talking and that’s the idea. Eric up tomorrow? Can hardly wait..

• ewisco said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:41 pm

well i’m a bit nervous. certainly the bar has been set pretty high. but we wouldn’t be here if we didn’t want to run our mouth (fingers?) some.

welcome to demp.

• TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Chi did what we all love. Created a conversation with civil differences of opinions. Excellent job
      chi, you my hero.
      Now, back to THE GUNS OF NAVARONE (onTCM right now. Love this fucking movie)

72. TedSpe said, on June 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm

…and take for granted the quality of ewisco’s intro tomorrow.
    No worries
    Goodnight gentlemen ( question mark)

73. eddacker said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Just reading the headlines as I awake with a morning coffee.
    WOW, YEE HAA, GO GIANTS
    First, I remember someone said Voggy could not repeat success this year.
    Second I thought Melky was in a slump
    Third Kershaw who? not ownage, but
    Fourth
    DAMN we are playing some good ball
    now I will go read the box, and the comments on here and then maybe the game on mlb.com

74. eddacker said, on June 26, 2012 at 11:51 pm

ps
    i don’t care no one will read my late night post, I am so proud and happy for my Gmen
    usually I just don’t post but this time I had to have an outlet for my joy.

75. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 27, 2012 at 12:25 am