Return of the men who almost did it!

Posted in Uncategorized by twinfan1 on July 1, 2012

And here they are, your 2002 NL pennant winners:

Trey Lunsford, Tony Torcato, Calvin Murray, Cody Ransom, Tom Goodwin, Damon Minor, Troy Brohawn… oh, and some unknowns like Bonds, Kent, Snow, Schmidt, Nen..

They almost did it. Who woud you like to have a beer with? Dump a beer on? The guy you’ve wondered about? I always liked Reggie Sanders- had sort of a Hac-Man demeanor about him. Didn’t realize the guy hit over 300 HRs- and over 300 stolen bases.The Reggie Sanders Foundation supports children and adults with autism.

If it was worth nothing else, and even if there were no lonely Russian girls waiting to meet us… the Internet enables us to find out more about men like Reggie Sanders- and settles a few bar bets to boot…

1. zumiee said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm

WE LOVE THIS BALLPARK!!!!!

2. Smokey said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I agree twinfan. I liked seeing Pagan up there. BIG win.

3. willieD said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm

oh man you’ll see that one on SC for a while. what a fuck up, he was never close to that ball or the wall.

4. ewisco said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:33 pm

you don’t see that every day!

5. Bozo said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Walk off with pride. Way to go Giants. I’ll be seeing you in DC.

6. twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I’d give POTG to the guy who blew the save.

7. Flavor said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm

i can’t wait to get home to see how this ended. All I see is that Pagan hit a double to win it. I’ll assume it was a no doubter 🙂

• willieD said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Ninth was a classic torture inning. Good for casilla to get the W, he pitched tough.

8. willieD said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Before the gwrbi was a foul ball in the stands where the guy gives it to the gf….I realize it’s a “nice” thing to do, but unless it’s a pair of shoes or a handbag, what is a babe gonna do with it….. show it off to her friends?

9. pawliekokonuts said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Wow. I mean, wow. just started watching in the ninth. What a gift. Bruce’s miss in RF reminded me of Nelson Cruz’s failure to catch a catchable ball in RF in game 6 of the Series last year. Catchable. We’ll take it.

p.s. I disagree on one ASG pick, Magnus. Gio Gonzalez. He deserves to be there.

• twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:43 pm

The starting pitching has been incredible this year. But Gio absolutely should have been picked, IMO.

10. pawliekokonuts said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:39 pm

BTW, forgot to announce. Driving to Pittsburgh next Saturday to see the Giants. Sheeesh. Syracuse to Charlotte to Atlanta for the BASEBALL’S STARRY NIGHT OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL BOOK TOUR. Now this. Go, Giants. BTW, do not ever go on the Baltimore or DC Beltways if at all avoidable. Ever. Go that?

11. DJLoo said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm

POTG: God

• twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:45 pm

That works, too.

• Bozo said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I didn’t see number 24 out there.

12. Smokey said, on July 1, 2012 at 4:50 pm

God can share it with Posey, who had 3 key hits.

• twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I still think it’s Casilla. After the recent blow ups, the way the ninth was going…I’d wager there isn’t a soul here or listening, watching, at the game; who didn’t think the ninth was 4 runs minimum. He blew the save but won the game, IMO..

13. Nipper said, on July 1, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Yes a warm smiley day!

14. Sportdude said, on July 1, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Craig. Video was stunning. Perfect. What a feeling. Thanks.
    PS Forgot how huge Sanchez was in game 2, and I was there! In lower deck on 1st base side, with a perfect view of Kinsler’s near homer. The drama leading up to the 8th inning was something I will remember forever.

15. Sportdude said, on July 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I know it shouldn’t matter to a professional but..Not starting Casilla in the 9th is retarded. See it all the time. Shows lack of confidence in him, just like any other closer. If he is your guy then he should start the inning. Always easier, and the pitchers in that situation more likely to clean up there own mess, than someone elses.

• Flavor said, on July 1, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I agree. Trying to steal an out with your LOOGIE is cute but it disrupts the inning for Casilla. Closers have their routines, they go to the mound before the 9th starts, they spend a little more time out there warming up….I’m OFF the L/R shit, if he’s your closer, and he should be an all star closer IMO, then run his ass out there to start the 9th.

16. Flavor said, on July 1, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Yu Darvish is a K-machine, I fucking love this guy.

• willieD said, on July 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

who is currently being out-dueled by blackley, the guy we put on waivers. Moss blasted a monster shot to give A’s 2-1 lead after 7.

• Flavor said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Yu is a total fantasy stud. He brings the wins (though not today) and the K’s which are hard to find with a decent ERA. His WHIP needs to drop about .10+ but I think he’ll get to the low 1.20’s by the end of the year.

17. twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2012 at 6:07 pm

On the other hand, how the inning eventually played out probably did more to solidify Casilla’s closer job than any ole routine save.

• Flavor said, on July 1, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I hope so. It felt like Bochy was going back to the beginning with him and trying to steal an out. Bochy did the same thing back in April vs the Mets when Casilla had just started closing games. Only he did it in reverse, he brought Lopez in to relieve Casilla after Casilla gave up a hit. It didn’t work out in reverse, either.
      But, they ended up winning both games. Back in April, Bochy was correct to be conservative with how he handled Casilla. But this guy has developed into a legit closer. He should be an all star and he should be starting the inning the same way Papelbon, Kimbrel, etc do…….

18. willieD said, on July 1, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I agree with you flav, but….Lopez had already been warming up, and everyone knew he was only facing one guy. It’s his job to get him out–he was ahead 0-2. I don’t think it happens again.
    It’s a Torre job to get guys up, have them throw in the pen and then sit them or don’t use them. It’s just more wear and tear that will take it’s toll as the season wears on and that bs happens more often. That’s why it didn’t bother me when Romo got the 4 out save—he was up and warm, had only faced one guy in the 8th and we didn’t have to do the same with casilla that game cause he finished it.

19. pawliekokonuts said, on July 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Was listening to a Philly sports talk show on the drive Saturday. Whooo-eeee are they bleak! Most would put ANYONE, ANYONE, on the trading block. The host, though, defended Ruben Amaro Jr. on his moves, but not warm fuzzies for Charlie Manuel or the players. Brought a smile to my face to hear them still licking their wounds of 2010. “We were the best team in baseball and didn’t get it done in 2010 and 2011.” BTW, they said the Phillies offered Chase Utley for Barry Zito straight up and were turned down, in 2010???? What? You kidding? Anybody ever hear that one? Sounds like Cole H. may be traded. And the Phil. Inquirer did not like how Howard looks in his rehab games. Speaking of Howard LOOKING, nobody here will ever forget Brian Wilson punching out Ryan Howard LOOKING to send the Giants to the Series.

• snarkk said, on July 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Wilson’s best pitch ever as a Giant…

• twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm

And still some bitter fans bitch that it wasn’t a strike. The thing is, if it wasn’t, it missed by a 1/4 inch and you don’t take those when a strike call ends your season.

• snarkk said, on July 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I say it was a definite strike. Posey caught it just at or a little below Howard’s knee line. That means it was a little higher crossing the plate. Yep, you cannot take that pitch to end an NLCS, especially when you’re the team’s slugger…

20. snarkk said, on July 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Observations from today:
    1. Casilla botched his way into a defining blown save and a win. To get 3 straight outs without giving up any more runs there in the 9th was stellar.
    2. Belt is in a groove. Bochy needs to move him up one hole in the LU. Patience with Belt looks like it is finding success and paying off. Why they would bring back Huff off the rehab now is beyond my comprehension, if they in fact do that.
    3. Theriot is growing on me. He’s a major leaguer. Not great, but he gets the job done, and I didn’t realize before that he’s got decent speed, and can steal some bags and put pressure on the defense. I’ve totally forgotten Freddy now; too bad, but that’s reality.
    4. Loved Vogy getting PO’d at Arroyo and throwing down the bat. The squad can definitely use his fire…

• twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm

They started yapping avout Huff again when Belt had his mini-slump. They’re covered at first without Aubrey. And don’t forget—Todd Linden is just a phone call away…a good plan to end Aubrey’s stay here might be to hold him on the DL for another month, and activate him when the rosters expand.

• snarkk said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Exactly. Bring him up in September and bury him with all the other cheerleaders on the bench. Belt doesn’t need Huff hanging around messing with his mind a little if he goes 2 for 12 or something and Bochy grunts a few times about veterans down the stretch…

21. IH1978 said, on July 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Mets absolutely pissing the game away to the Dodgers.

22. snarkk said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Another observation today:
    Dusty has a real “boiler” going there; wow. Calling Jenny Craig…

23. snarkk said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm

This team needs a RH bat with some pop off the bench. Pill was supposedly going to do that, but didn’t work out. Yep, another Pat the Bat type before the deadline…

24. willieD said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Hasn’t been a good month for either blanco or pagan. Blanco hit .218 in June with an OB of .277. In May he got 18 walks/92 ABs, in june only 7 walks/110 ABs. For the season the OB is down to .337, behind melk, belt, posey, pablo and …..pagan at .341.
    Angel hit only .245 in June himself. His OB for the month was .302/slg .306 for an OPS .608. Que feo!
    I hope these guys pull themselves out–I know SF won today and got 12 hits and 4 walks, but….

25. DJLoo said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Shane Victorino, anybody?

• Flavor said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Sure, but then that would probably we *later-Days* to Nate. And it might push Blanco back to the bench if he doesn’t get it going by the deadline…….

26. Sportdude said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Belt should stay right where he is in the Lineup. It’s working..

27. Flavor said, on July 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Blackley’s success, especially against the Rangers tonight, is starting to annoy me. How could it be that an entire scouting system didn’t think this guy had the goods to start at the mlb level????? Especially when our best and only starting pitching prospect in the minors is now on the 60 DL (Surkamp, who I had lots of questions about anyway). I guess it’s *Eric Hacker* Time down on the Farm. Yikes……..

• DJLoo said, on July 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Who was that nobody we dumped a few years ago and he started out like 6-0 in the AL (Angels?) Is he still around?

• DJLoo said, on July 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Matt Palmer: 11-2 in 2009

28. twinfan1 said, on July 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Well, Blackley was obviously not liked by a LOT of people. The A’s released him just a year and a haf ago, and he’s kicked around since 2001 in the minors. Maybe he’s the guy who made off with Tim’s mojo..

29. DJLoo said, on July 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I have a hunch San Dawg and his kid slept through the day…

30. TedSpe said, on July 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Admittedly–a matter of taste–nevertheless–

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 2, 2012 at 8:02 am

pretty funny to me — given, it’s Don Rickles and inappropriate from beginning to end –, though can you imagine the trouble he’d get in today?

31. TedSpe said, on July 1, 2012 at 11:07 pm