A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Quelle Surprises?

Posted in Uncategorized by pawliekokonuts on July 3, 2012

Surprise. According to the Online Etymological Dictionary, “surprise” came to us in English by way of the Frogs, I mean the French:

Late 14c., “unexpected attack or capture,” from M.Fr. surprise “a taking unawares,” from noun use of pp. of O.Fr. surprendre “to overtake,” from sur- “over” (see sur-) + prendre “to take,” from L. prendere, contracted from prehendere “to grasp, seize” (see prehensile). Meaning “something unexpected” first recorded 1590s, that of “feeling caused by something unexpected” is c.1600. Meaning “fancy dish” is attested from 1708.

What is sweeter, or more painful, than surprise? Bishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, and many others, speak of “the God of surprises.” A friend of mine, Joe Bergin, gave his retirement sermon as an Episcopal priest using that theme. Jay Bruce improbably missing Angel Pagan’s fly ball on Sunday was a gift from the gods and goddesses of surprises. Quelle surprise! It’s a surprise we celebrate. Undoubtedly Jay Bruce and Reds fans felt punished by the gods and goddesses of surprise.

You might easily say the huge, unforgettable sweet pleasure of 2010 was how much of a surprise it was. How was it that the Giants won it all in a year when others supposedly had more talent, skills, and drive?

Which brings me to this year. What are the biggest surprises of the 2012 season thus far [in medias res, as classicists at Edddddddacker’s Oxbridge might say]? Here’s my surprise short list (SSL):

1. The Time of Troubles for Tim Lincecum. I am hoping the worst is over, but the duration and dire drama of his slump were alarming.

2. Ryan Vogelsong’s 2011 performance is not a fluke. He’s for real. Really for real.

3. I thought Freddy would be back.

4. Barry Zito’s performance being this good even this late in the season.

5. Melky.

6. Brian Wilson being sidelined for the whole year and Santiago Casilla doing so superbly.

7. Speed. The Giants with speed?

Speaking of surprises, the Sun Dressed Goddess was a chimera, a dream, an illusion, a trickster. She surprised us into thinking she was an oracle. We were led by lust, not wisdom. Surprise, surprise. Who will surprisingly take her place?

What would you add to the list of surprises for the 2012 season?

p.s. You Francophones, does my title need an S added to “quelle”? RIBBIT.

p.p.s. Time for my meds.

1. DJLoo said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:04 am

It’s nice of Bellevue to give you online access…

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:36 am

made me laugh before noon! quite an accomplishment

2. ewisco said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:09 am

Definition of suprise: a fart with a lump in it.

• Nipper said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:49 am

” A fart with a lump in it” in bed. Damn!

• Alleykat said, on July 3, 2012 at 11:04 am

I thought a fart in the dictionary said: “Explosion between the 2 legs.”

3. Irish Kevin said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:29 am

So Pawlie, you sort of got ahead of yourself with the “S” in Quelle. but I have to point out the your SSL list states it is 2011. When really iit is 2012. Just giving you some grief!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:38 am

ah! good catch; I can edit; and maybe I can even make a reference to Bellevue (the nuthouse for New Yawkers)

4. Irish Kevin said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:31 am

My surprise for 2012 is that BF stepped down as head writer of the blog, well not really stepped down, he has delegated some of his work to 12 outstanding writers in their own right. Keep up the good work Gentleman. oh and Dennis too.

5. Smokey said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:38 am

Theirot hitting 2nd. Hector Sanchez.

6. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:38 am

Zito quaifies as a surprise only if one ignores his history. He was better in 2010 than now and in fact had a sub-4.00 ERA ( 3.78) as late as August 25. We all know that he ended the season with several poor performances, culminating in Bochy leaving him off the postseason roster. So here’s the deal- we can hope, and we always do, that Barry won’t blow it this year- but we KNOW he always has. What might be most frightening is that 2010 was arguably his BEST year.

So anyway, after last year and then ST this year, hopes were so low, that I guess one has to rate him as a suprise, the bigger surprise would be if he doesn’t blow it. If we started the playoffs tomorrow and kept just 4 starters,is there really anyone who thinks he’d be one of the four?

7. pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:40 am

BTW, I apologize for the lateness of my post. I overslept, awash in idyllic dreams of royalty-drenched riches on Caribbean isles. In my semi-retired life, “overslept” has a very broad definition.

8. demp28 said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:46 am

My surprise so far? So many of them. I’ll give you my top 3; not necessarily in order.
    The Melkman. Proving last year was not a fluke, all he did was collect 51 hits in May to tie the franchise record. If he gets NL MVP, back up the Brinks truck.
    Buster. How many players do you know come back from an ugly injury .like the one Posey suffered; especially at a demanding position such as Catcher and put up numbers like he has so far this year?
    Vogey. I loved his story last year as I followed it on “The Franchise”. This gguy breathes fire and was ready to light up Arroyo this past Sunday. Plus, he has a serious death stare, and wants to prove that last year was no fluke

9. chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:48 am

Blanco must make the list of surprises. Hell, he wasn’t even expected to make the team. While he has scuffled of late with the stick, overall he has been a very pleasant surprise in the lead-off spot and also in RF.

An “S”? Isn’t the plural of quelle, quellen?

Not sure if anyone posted this yesterday (I was in and out early). But maybe some of the guys on the right coast and across the pond will enjoy this vidoe of the 2002 NL Champion reunion this past weekend:

Sweet that Cincy beat the Bums last night!

10. willieD said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:56 am

Theriot is a very pleasant surprise to me, so far. His bat has been OK and his fielding even better. He seems to have had a very beneficial affect on Crawford with the “vet presence” of keeping him from imploding. Since he’s played SS for a long time I hope he can help the kid learn how to be a mlb ball player for a long time.
    Blanco, tho, has been a revelation. I hope he can make it through the whole season and keep up his OB. Plus he’s confined Nate to the bench and made any other excuse for a LF irrelevant.
    Dodgers appear to be in free fall. Barbs lost again last night, their pen got lit up by the Reds for 5 late runs (all without Votto). AZ and Cahill lost at home to the Padres, who are now pct points ahead of the Rockies–who gave up 9 runs again, this time on the road.
    Hope I’m not hexing anything, but this division could be a runaway. No one has anywhere near SF pitching, and once they get in, with short playoff series, they are going to be a tough match up for any powerhouse offensive team. Man, I’d love to get another crack at the Yankees.

• chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:01 am

Pay heed to the Nats this upcoming series. Statistically a shade better than the Giants in pitching, and like the Reds…they can mash.

• demp28 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:44 am

wiilieD, if anything, it would be beneficial that, assuming the Giants make the postseason, they clinch the division before the final three games of the regular season; which will be in L.A. We all know what happened at the end of the 1993 season and what team was responsible for keeping us out of the playoffs.

11. Macdog said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:56 am

PK: Having just become a “follower,” I was surprised to see how obsessed you are with re-tweeting. 😉

Blanco and Pagan have been two of the brighter surprises. Blanco was seemingly signed as an afterthought and is now holding down the leadoff spot while playing tremendous defense. Pagan maybe not much so for most here, but I wasn’t too keen on him coming to SF and he’s proved me wrong.

12. chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 8:58 am

Another surprise (for me, anyway) is Crawford (aka MudBug). I seriously was surprised (one of those punishing surprises) by the number of errors early on. While we all knew his stick would not be his strong point (I think most would gladly take .240-.250 at the plate), I seriously thought he would be a rock at SS. He has improved of late, though.

And while many Flappers have thrown him under the bus…I still like him and think he will turn out to be quite the servicable SS. And he is the little woman’s favorite Gigante this year. We had seats in the second row (section 127) for a game, and he came over to talk to a fan who was rocking a UCLA Bruin sweatshirt (probably a college bud). Dude is a lady killer…all the girls were gaga over young Brandon.

13. zumiee said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:05 am

I’m surprised at how long the Dodgers were able to keep winning when Kemp went down. But in the last couple of weeks, Ethier has broken down, too; and their Cinderella entourage has turned into mice and pumpkins.

14. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

I’m doing mine one by one: Hector. I’m just listing him because so few thought he’d the team. Numbers wise, I’m actually slightly disappointed- that OBP is pretty sad. But as I said in the report card ( which I’ve left up in B), I don’t think anyone is missing Whitey- only that towering jiggly mold from Vera’s kitchen…

• chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:21 am

“towering jiggly mold from Vera’s kitchen”…WTF…I must have missed that one Michael.

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:33 am

Vern and Vera are my invention- the not so proud parents of Eli Whiteside ( Vera bet the under on Eli’s BA last year. She made some major coupons when he limped in at .197). But she always contributed her Famous Ambrosia Salad to any team get togethers. She’s been missed..

15. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

It seems that some didn’t realize that Blanco has considerable MLB time-over 300 games, enough be a valid sample- and his lifetime OBP is .353. The question would seem to be his durability as Snarkk has pointed out. The second half will be a real test. Gary Brown keeps coming on fast- I would definitely not rule him out later if Gregor runs out of gas. In the interim, having Nate rot on the bench is dumb. Give the guy a bone- once a week.

• chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:33 am

Agree, Twin. I was aware of his past (played considerably for the Braves) in 2008 and here and there in 2009-2010…wallowed in the minors last year. But still a surprise (for me, anyway) that he even made the club (especially with the additions of Melky and Pagan).

Also agree that Nate needs a spot-start here and there to keep sharp.

• Nipper said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:46 am

Did someone mention bone?

16. chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:36 am

Forecast for D.C. today: 96 at game time, 33% humidity.

As my friend Mike (Demp28) pointed out…the possitive of this series for the Giants…that they do not face Gonzalez (3.01 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, .195 BAA) or Strassburg (2.81 ERA, 10.8 WHIP, .217 BAA).

Pitching match-ups look pretty favorable for the Giants, but you have to be careful, because as mentioned earlier…the Nats can mash.

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:55 am

Next surprise: Arias. Nobody even gave a thought about him being anymore than a camp body in AZ. His numbers are hardly impressive but he’s been solid in the field, versatile, a more than adequate utility infielder- another one, with more pop, should be a priority at the dealine.

• snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:55 am

33% humidity is positively groovy for DC. I was expecting the normal 70% plus. That is good news for Timmeh’s potential longevity in the start. Hopefully it won’t get up too much more as the afternoon goes along. As for Pawlie’s good thread, my surprises are Blanco and Vogelsong on the good, Timmeh on the bad. Blanco came out of nowhere (for me, anyway) to be important so far, I did not expect Vogy to be so consistently good, and of course Timmeh’s troubles are now well chronicled…

17. chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:59 am

WTF…what a dumbass I am…I forgot to give Pawlie props for the great thread. Good stuff…though provoking. Thanks, Pawlie!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

aiiight…wilkomen

18. Flavor said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:00 am

My biggest surprise was the 3 game sweep/shut out/utter shutdown of the Dodgers last week. I can’t remember the Giants ever having an easier time with them over the course of a series……

• chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:29 am

Good one, Flav…and so true! Always SO GOOD to beat the Fucking Bums!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

true dat

19. eddacker said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:12 am

Andy of Mayberry died. One of my true on-screen heroes.

really puts baseball in perspective.

not

• DJLoo said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:30 am

Well, this is your chance to bang Helen Crump…

• TedSpe said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

…which is settling for 2nd best seeing as Frances Bavier is already dead

• snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

Helen’s been gone since the ’90s, but Thelma Lou is still alive, per Wiki…

20. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:19 am

Watched Sunday’s game again- poor Jay Bruce. Did you notice he was looking for a secret door in the RF fence after the misplay?
    jay

Sorry for the size but it’s only one I could find.

21. eddacker said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:27 am

Nice post Mr. Kokonuts; I forgot Kindles come with the Oxford built in. You hear that expression often in Britain, pronounced Kaye sur preeze, as Brits will never pronounce any French word with a French sound.

The nicest SFGs for me this first half was seeing them playing with the comradeliness of the 2010 group. And Zito pitching well as I love a big curve, off-speed, spot your pitches pitcher. Worse surprise is Huff. May his rally thong rot in sports paraphernalia hell. And I hope his mind and emotions are well.

22. Macdog said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:28 am

Poor Bruce got over it pretty quickly. And he sure knows how to pick his spots: Bad play results in a Giants win, good play preserves the lead vs. the Bums.

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

Well, he was poor Bruce on Sunday- happy to see he became Good Bruce..

• Macdog said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:40 am

As I heard Goose Gossage say the other day, he has the kind of name where he can’t tell if he’s getting booed or they’re just saying his name. After last night’s catch, though, it was definitely the latter, even at Dodger Stadium.

• chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

His timing was impeccable in both instances (our yard and Chavez Ravine). Classy comments by Bruce after the loss to the Giants…he flat out said he misplayed the ball, should have had it, and that it should have been scored an error (official scorer gave Pagan a double).

• Nipper said, on July 3, 2012 at 11:08 am

There is no good Bruce.

23. snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

Yep, the flags are flying at half staff in Mayberry.
    Like millions of others, I am sad at that news. A part of our youth just passed with Andy…

• chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

Ditto. One of my favorites growing up as a kid.

24. TedSpe said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:48 am

Great intro, pawlie. I’d say my biggest surprise is the Lincecum/Zito Freaky Friday Fenomenon.
    As for Andy Griffith, I’m almost sorry for the success of that TV show of his. Because he was actually one hell of a good actor and could play a sumbitch as well as anyone but the saccharine of that show derailed his talent for decades. If any of you Flappers get the chance, check him out in A FACE IN THE CROWD. One helluva performance and quite scary, in fact, as it predicted the manipulation of the media by the posse of fuckheads we’re all enduring today.

25. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:50 am

Griffith was maybe most famous as Andy of Mayberry but I would remember him best as Lonesome Rhodes in “A Face in the Crowd”,which I think was his film debut. I don’t think I watched more than two or three Mayberry shows ever. But I caught one where Jack Nicholson had a minor role…

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:52 am

Again! I guess I could say insane minds think alike…

• TedSpe said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:56 am

Yeah, twin, that *was* his film debut. And Nicholson was actually on that show twice. The only one I remember, though, was when he was accused of stealing a TV set and Aunt Bee was on the jury, the only one who thought he was innocent. Nicholson–Innocent. Think about it. That was a looooong time ago indeed

26. chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:54 am

Read in one of Baggarly’s pieces this morning (on the heat and Timmy) that Posey probably gives way to Hector today. I am NOT liking Hector regularly catching two of the five.

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 11:02 am

I don’t believe anyone thinks he will- Buster wanted to catch him last time. He’ll be catching him again soon.

27. blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

Weatherproof games: Marlins-Brewers, Royals-Blue Jays, Yankees-Rays, Padres-Diamondbacks, Orioles-Mariners

Angels-Indians might be able to finish their game before thunderstorms roll into Cleveland (ETA 10 p.m.). Astros-Pirates could have a lengthy pregame rain delay, with storms expected to arrive in Pittsburgh right around first pitch (7:05 p.m. ET). Rangers-White Sox could also be interrupted by rain in the middle innings, but this wet weather isn’t expected to last long.

28. Macdog said, on July 3, 2012 at 11:51 am

Before he got in the movies and TV, Griffith did a little stand-up:

• TedSpe said, on July 3, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I can’t watch that on my work computer, mac, so let me guess. Is that the “What It Was Is Football” routine? (God I am such a show-business geek)

• Macdog said, on July 3, 2012 at 12:25 pm

29. chipower9 said, on July 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Okay Flappers…have a great rest of the day. We got cut loose early today…off to have a few barley libations, then home to catch the game. Catch ya on the flip side.

30. zumiee said, on July 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Speaking of Helen Crump- did you all know that Andy Taylor and Helen Crump eventually got married? I did not know that. According to wikipedia:
    “In the first episode of The Andy Griffith Show spinoff, Mayberry R.F.D., Andy and Helen marry. Other characters from The Andy Griffith Show make guest appearances in the episode. The episode gave CBS the highest ratings for a new TV series debut for the decade.
    The couple move to Raleigh, North Carolina, but return to Mayberry at a later date on Mayberry R.F.D. to christen their newborn son, Andrew Samuel Taylor.
    In 1986, Andy and Helen made appearances in the reunion telemovie Return to Mayberry. In the telemovie, Andy has recently retired from the United States Postal Inspection Service in Cleveland and returns to Mayberry to see Opie and his wife become first-time parents. Opie’s half-brother wasn’t mentioned at all.”

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Sort of like his real brother, Clint. Ron throws him a bone (acting gig) every once in awhile, but otherwise, you never hear from him. In 1998, Howard was awarded the MTV Lifetime Achievement Award. The award is largely considered a spoof on Lifetime Achievement Awards with past recipients such as Godzilla, Jason Voorhees, Chewbacca and The Three Stooges. 🙂

• Alleykat said, on July 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Yeah Blade,good point about that dweeb Clint.Ronny throws him his only bone period! He has no acting skills at all.Hell most Flappers could play his dumbass roles.We will start with voice overs 1st.Dennis can be the voice of Mr.ED…(grin)

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm

rolling on the floor here kat 🙂

31. Alleykat said, on July 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Giants with freakin speed is the key to me.This team can finally raise some Kaos(A little Get Smart for some of older whippersnappers) on the bases and just more aggressive 1st to 3rd and home or even just scoring from 2nd on a hit.Past teams just to much station to station and wanting oxygen even then.Melky,Pagan,Blanco just add so much more to this team.Even freakin Theriot and Belt pick there spots and have been alright.

32. eddacker said, on July 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Weather in DC seems to have slowed down today: high 80s and humidity under 50%

33. pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Pirates have told me they’ll give me a press pass for Saturday’s game. Hoping to leave book for Giants and Pirates broadcast teams. Amy G.!?

• eddacker said, on July 3, 2012 at 2:09 pm

you dog; envy doesn’t suit me yet here it is

• ewisco said, on July 3, 2012 at 2:17 pm

when you autograph it you should say: “Dear Amy G, Prom?”

34. snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 2:37 pm

What the hell? Now, Ben Davidson, legendary D end for the Raiders, dead at 72. Next to Otto and Blanda, I’m not sure anybody epitomized the old Raiders more than big ‘ol Ben. Prostate cancer…

35. DJLoo said, on July 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Never forgave him for the late hit on Dawson…

36. snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Dontrelle Willis — now officially retired…

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I had forgotten that “Javier Lopez was the reliever the Giants coveted.” I’m fairly certain that Dontrelle had his head screwed on straight and saved some of that money he made with Detroit (last big contract). He had a good heart and I wish him success in his future endeavors. Thanks for sharing snarkk.

37. TedSpe said, on July 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I hope this posts. I keep losing them in the stratosphere. Anyway, another big surprise is Matt Cain’s strikeouts. 3rd in the league and on pace for 200+. Historically that’s never been his M.O.

• snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Maybe just me, but looks like his slider has more bite to it this year…

38. snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 3:43 pm

As of game time in DC, temp at 94 degrees and 28% humidity. That humidity is way low for this time of year and time of day, so that’s good for the Giants…

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 3, 2012 at 3:54 pm

How the hell did they give Crawford an E on that play? Scorekeepers are “Mayberry R.F.D” worthy…
    Really Fucking Dumb.

40. blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Tim looked good.

41. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Don’t sell Zimmermann short at the plate. He’s no slouch.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:22 pm

WTF did I tell ya? He’s a tremendous slouch!

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Yeah, the BA was a pretty good clue..

42. snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I don’t understand why Tim’s throwing a first pitch breaking ball to the opposing pitcher…

• zumie said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm

That’s not a typical pitcher batting. The pitch idea was OK, the location was lousy.

• snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I don’t care what a pitcher’s BA is. He’s a pitcher. You throw a fastball there. If he hits your fastball, good on him; if he hits your curve, shame on you…

43. snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm

So, Theriot swings at the first pitch there. The Giants continue, regardless of the batter and the recent seasons, to be clueless about taking a few pitches, stepping out, and otherwise wasting time at the plate to give their pitcher a blow after a strenuous inning…

44. zumiee said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:39 pm

OK, Tim isn’t pitching very well, but Pagan looked drunk trying to catch that ball.

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:46 pm

He turned instead of going after both doubles. They were hard plays but he made poor efforts on both.

45. snarkk said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Wow.
    C ya Flappers…

46. blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm

No shit.

47. Macdog said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Is Lincecum auditioning to throw in the Home Run Derby?

48. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm

About the only thing good that will come out of this is that it wil end the Timmy/Hector marriage.

• TedSpe said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I’m pretty sure you’re right

49. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Instead of harping on Timmy’s continuing demise, how ’bout a little baseball history…
    Who remembers what happened on this date back in ’66? Braves pitcher Tony Cloninger became the first NL player to hit two grand salamis in one game. He also added a single for nine RBI in a 17-3 win over our Giants in front of 27,002 at the ‘Stick. Suffice to say July 3 hasn’t been too kind to SF pitching.
    Here’s the box score: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN196607030.shtml

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:07 pm

No one is harping on it, DMD. Most aren’t happy about it, though

50. blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Moot point now, but this start would have been the perfect time to sit Tim. Pfffft!

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I said this a couple of days ago . . . He hates the heat. Anywho, his start against the Pirates coming up should get him back on track, if only because the entire team has a propensity to swing and miss.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Do you honestly believe the results would be any different if it were 66 degrees in D.C. tonight?
        Tim stinks on ice in any weather this year.

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm

This year? Yeah, I’m not going to argue your point, since I have been one of the Flappers here carrying the rope/noose, torch, and pitchfork for his poor performances this year, i.e., my opinion that he only be given a 2 year contract shows I was delusional to be so generous. 🙂

51. demp28 said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Desmond is 9 for 11 lifetime against Timmy. You got it. 911. Help!

52. manny said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Penny might get a few innings tonight.

53. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 3, 2012 at 4:59 pm

This get the leadoff hitter to second w/ no outs isn’t working so well.
    Might I suggest a different approach? Bochy said on his pregame show that Burriss and Nate are slated to start tomorrow. That’s the ticket.

54. Flavor said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I’ve tried to stay away from the theory that Timmy can’t pitch in the heat because, well, it just sounds dumb. He’s a human being like the rest of the players out there. As long as he stays hydrated, I don’t see why he can’t pitch in the heat. But the evidence is pretty clear. Tim can’t pitch in the heat…….

55. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm

He pitched OK last year in the heat- when he was packing 25 more pounds.

• Flavor said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:11 pm

He pitched ok last year all year–when he was packing 25 more pounds.

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:15 pm

The extra weight did help him in hot weather. He pitched poroly in hot weather before last year.

• Berger said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Get him some ankle weights, 25lbs worth!

56. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:12 pm

That throw was rather Crisp-Y…

57. Flavor said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:13 pm

It’s also possible that he’s pitching like shit because he’s pitching against a team that can hit. The Dodgers? The A’s? The Padres? They were all fielding pretty shitty LU’s in the games he pitched……..

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Flav, interesting that you mentioned it, because a Yahoo FL article said the same thing. The Bums for example were shutout like 3 games (not certain of the exact number) in the last couple of weeks and in their other games were scoring challenged. Regarding the A’s and Padres, they don’t score either. In any event, good point because others have noticed it too.

• Flavor said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm

well my goal is always to stay at least 1 step ahead of the Yahoo! FL columnists so i guess I’m bummed that they scooped me.

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Well, you might feel better about this . . . Yahoo, put together an “All-Wienie” team and had Lincecum on it. However, they also predicted the following:

“SP: Tim Lincecum
        Overall Y! Rank (Preseason, Current): 28, 910
        “Twilight” Tim (Look at him, he must moonlight as a vampire) has sucked the life out of his owners. For the former Cy Young winner, sorrowful performances have become the norm, not the exception. A downturn in velocity early in the season combined with spotty command ballooned his ERA/WHIP. From May 4-June 22, a 10-start string, he turned in just two quality starts and failed to record a win. However, there’s light at the end of the tunnel. His fastball is again in the 92-94 mph range, which has helped him miss more bats and coax more grounders. If he can continue to hit his spots, additional ERA trimming is in the forecast. His 1.89 ERA-xFIP differential is a powerful indicator. Dominant in his last appearance versus rival LA (7 IP, 0 ER, 8:2 K:BB, W), his rise from the grave is nearly complete. Count on a banner second half.
        Fearless Forecast (rest of season): 110.1 IP, 8 W, 3.29 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 115 K”

58. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm

That’s sure possible.

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm

The level of competition had nothing to do with throwing his last fastball,to Uribe I think, at 93, in the seventh, against the Dodgers. The same velocity as in the first.

• Flavor said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Uribe? He’s hitting .200 with 1 HR this year. He’s nothing. He’d miss a softball toss at this point in his career. I see your point about the velocity still being there in the 7th but the facts are, those LU’s S-U-C-K-E-D

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Did I dispute that? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…
        In fact, I said it was “Sure possible…”

59. Alleykat said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Really would have liked to have saved the BP tonight.Perfect game to bring Todd Wellemeyer back to implode an extra 10 runs and save the pen for tomorrow.

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Bochy has never had a problem with an overworked pen.

60. TedSpe said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Could this beeeee any uglier?

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Umm, 9-1???????????

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Or, would you believe 10-0 (in my best Maxwell Smart voice).

• TedSpe said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:40 pm

hahaha

61. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Another possible good thing to come out of this game…here’s the deal- Buster catches 4 of 5 games, Hector catches the the other and Buster sits. If Belt needs a blow put Arias at third, Panda at first..make it happen.

62. ewisco said, on July 3, 2012 at 5:58 pm

so i go into the local booze emporium with the bases loaded, timmy coming out and kontos in. i come out and all three runs have scored but the inning is over. did kontos just open up the gas can or what? those runs may come back to haunt them. the good news is we won’t be overbidding on timmy in a year or so.

63. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Kontos came in with the bases juiced and gave up a ground ball single to center and a sac fly. The inning is on Timmy.

• ewisco said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

thanks twin.

64. blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Did I hear that right? Tim Lincecum’s worst career start insofar as runs allowed (7 earned, 1 unearned)?

65. pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Well, I was a latecomer to this misery of a game. Glad to have missed the misery first-hand. (Was at Boom Boom Tex Mex.) How many ways can you spell “ugly”?

66. Nipper said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:23 pm

U-G-L-Y!

67. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Can Kruk come up with any more new excuses for Timmy? This time it was because he was the first to pitch on the roadie and didn’t have enough time to acclimate to the climate. Even with the team leaving a day early. Enough.

And enough with this game. White flag this shit. With tomorrow’s early, early post time, no need to wait this out.

• Nipper said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:29 pm

“White flag this shit.”

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Yes, that is complete horseshit (excuse the DMD pun) . . . Climate acclimation takes a minimum of two weeks, i.e., you could be the 1st or 5th starter and it wouldn’t matter. How do I know that? I was an occupational safety and health director and anyone who is familiar with (industrial hygiene) workplace monitoring studies, knows this is established fact.

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Here is an excellent guide the Army (Rangers) uses . . . On the second page, it states the average soldier takes about two weeks to adjust. Essentially the same for all people, with some a bit quicker and some a bit slower.

Click to access heatacclimatizationguide.pdf

• Berger said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Did you say you have Zimmerman pitching in your fantasy league tonight? Does that have white flag weight on it?

68. Sportdude said, on July 3, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Twin,
    Thanks for the ratings yesterday. Fun..
    I would say Casilla gets an A- at least though. No drop at all from Wilson, which is a surprise.
    Save percentage at half way point of season 87% (21/24).
    Wilson’s last year 87%, 90% in 2010, 84% in 2009, 87% in 2008
    Five year ave..87%

Game sucked, so I had time to read yesterdays post…

• twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I moved it over to “B” also, if anyone wants to comment further. I agree there’s been no drop off from Wilson last year-which was a B+ also, IMO. But I have no problem with A-.

69. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Anyone seen Oswalt’s line tonight? He’s making Timmy look like a sparkler, bottle rocket and M-80 all wrapped in one.

70. twinfan1 said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Who cares what K and K say about it? According to them, Zits has been baaaaaaaaaaaccccccccck 43 times. I don’t pay any attention to that either.

71. blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Pawlie, I have reviewed your book . . . I gave it 4 rotten tomatoes. 🙂

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm

thanks, as long as they’re not pickled…

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm

By the by, who is “Lady Di?” Sounds like a jilted ex-girlfriend? 🙂

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm

is she the one who thought it had to many stats? don’t know. I was amused by that, since it is relatively light on stats. Her negative review makes the others look all the more legit.

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Yeah, that’s the one. I wrote a review on her.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

72. ewisco said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:16 pm

watching “large, dangerous, rocket ships” on some channel. very amusing. they’ve launched an outhouse, a wet/dry vac and a manequin dressed as a bride. not to mention some big bad ass rockets.

73. blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Finally, the game is back on. ’bout time!

74. pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Editorial note: I just corrected my misspelling of the last name of our closer. One looks for diversions when the team is down 8-2 during a rain delay and you really just hope they all go back to the hotel. (Prove us wrong, boys, and may the gods and goddesses of surprise surprise us with a crazy W.)

• blade3colorado said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Who’s at the game besides Bozo? I know someone else was supposed to be there too.

75. pawliekokonuts said, on July 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Public shoutout of thanks to TedSpe for sending me the Chron’s coverage of Cain’s perfecto. Perfect gentleman, that Ted.

• tedspe said, on July 3, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Just catching up. Thanks, pawlie. And heck, that’s what friends are for