A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Whatdyathink?

Posted in Uncategorized by chipower9 on July 10, 2012

I’m keeping it simple today, Flappers. No, not because I’m slacking or anything like that, but because this has been something that has been on my mind over the past month or so, and I am interested to hear your take. But before I get into today’s thread, I wanted to share a thought.

How Fricking Cool is it that our beloved Giants have FOUR players who will be STARTING (not just representing) for the Senior Circuit tonight? Not only that, but they represent the starting battery and an OF and IF position. Has a Giant battery EVER started an AS game? I am pretty good at digging up archaic bits of information, but not sure I can drill-down on this one (anyone game?). Regardless, I just think it is awesome that we have four starters in tonight’s game!

Anyway, what I wanted to throw out there for you all to chew on is what do you feel are the three most important things needed to make the Giants more competitive in the second half? What makes their chances of winning the West that much stronger, and of going deep in the playoffs that much more a reality?

My take on it has changed like drifting sands as the team plugged along in the first half. Is one of the three priorities signing a RH bat with some pop? Is it most important that Tim finds his mojo and becomes the Big Time Timmy Jim of old? Throw your thoughts out there in priority-order, or not (hell, by the time today’s thread runs its course, it very well may have changed).

Personally, and not in any particular order, my three are:

A right-hand bat with power (does not need to be a starter)…this could be a 4th OFer or a guy who can play the corners

A right-hand middle reliever (think Mota) who can come in for a tough inning, or give you multiple innings

Tim to find his mojo.

There you have it Flappers…let it fly!

1. Nipper said, on July 10, 2012 at 7:15 am

Timmy finds his mojo would be a step that would be welcome. The rest …..c’est la vie.

2. chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 7:46 am

A friend just informed me that no Giant battery has ever started an AS game. I didn’t think it had ever happened…that is awesome.

3. Salty said, on July 10, 2012 at 7:49 am

Tim pitches like 2010, the others shouldn’t matter so much to win the division. Playoffs are another story. Then a RH bat w/some power becomes a plus. Don’t want to face the Reds and Marshall and Chapman down late in the game with no RH bat off the bench but Arias. The long/mid relief guy is least important if they have 4 starters capable of going 7 strong.

4. ewisco said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:00 am

Timmy doesn’t need to pitch like 2010, but he does need to be signficantly more effective. The whole problem with the right hander with pop off the bench is he has to get spot starts. in 2010, it was a revolving door between rowand and burrell and torres and ross, though in the playoffs rowand sat. I guess you could revolve pagan, blanco and the new guy with occassional melky rests but pagan would have to be more successful in the lead off role than he was in the beginning. *timely* homers would be just as valuable as *lots* of homers. We don’t seem to have that so far this year. a couple of wins with late inning homers could change that mindset though and give them the confidence to hit more of them. Penny could be the answer to mota, though if timmy continues to crash and burn you’re looking at a start from him.

5. Alleykat said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:30 am

I don’t think the Giants see Penny as a spot/starter at all.He’s only a 2-3 inning guy at best.Could see them looking at guys like Marco Estrada,Jason Vargas,or a Clayton Richards to be a Spot Starter if Tim,or Zito continue to struggle.
    RH bat is still a top pirioty though.Sabean will work on both these problems at the deadline.

6. twinfan1 said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:33 am

Hi Chi.
    That bat has been a pretty ot topic ad everyone one agrees they need one. My take is what I guess yousr is- a bench player. I’ve said Wigginton as an example. The name I hear most often is Corey Hart, and while I agree he “fits”, unless they bail on trying to sign Melky, I just don’t see it. And I don’t see where they’d want anything less than Brown+ and giving them a potential 6 years of Brown for ne year of Hart doesn’t fly with me. My first step would be an infielder- I’ve targeted Kelly Johnson or Polanco.

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:50 am

Interesting…an IFer. Johnson has played a number of positions (some OF, but predominantly 2B). Is this someone you would see taking the starting spot from Theriot, or someone to add to the mix, etc. If I was going to go IFer, I would like it to be someone who can play some 1B, too.

I see they are both FAs after this year, and comparable salaries (Polanco has a 1m buyout for next year…does that follow him if he is traded)?

And yes…in a bat, I am more thinking bench, spot starter…such as someone who could rotate with Blanco, Pagan, etc. Same for IF…someone who could start occasionally for Theriot, Panda, or Belt. In either case…a RH bat to have on the bench.

• Bozo said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:57 am

Chi, I’m pretty sure a contract follows a player unless the contract is renegotiated.

7. chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

Another item that “collectively” has been kicked-around is “the bench.” I suppose adding a RH reliever that can spot-start and give you 2-3 and a 4th OFer with power goes towards shoring-up the bench, but maybe not to the degree that some think is necessary.

8. Irish Kevin said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:37 am

Timmy is #1 IMO. that and lets face it in the last two series, Wash and Pit, Giants gave up 12 homers and only hit 2 I think that is what I heard on KNBR on Monday, so if I am wrong sorry about that. Giving them up is on the Giants pitching staff. So yes it would be nice to have a HR guy come of the bench, but the pitching has to stop giving them up also.

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:01 am

Well, Washington and Pittsburgh both have guys who can mash. And in Washington the ball was carrying to the RF alley. And I am not that concerned…I think that was more us catching two teams that were hot, at home, and in Washington..the ball was really carrying.

In the NL, SF is 13th (73 HRs on the year). Only three teams have given up fewer.

9. Bozo said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:37 am

I think Timmy is pretty damn key. The whole team is built around pitching. The bullpen, with Wilson and Mota out, the Romo injury etc..has held it together pretty well and with the addition of Penny might be enough. But Timmy, I’m pretty sure we will need better than a .500 performance from him going forward (although right now, I’d take a .500 performance).

The bench is a very weak link if we continue with Huff and Burriss IMO. Not much D or offense from them so far (Burriss has made a couple of good plays recently). Nate, some good D and a streak hitter. Christian has done well in his nine games but I’m not comfortable with him sticking the rest of the year. Arias and Hector are fine in their current roles (although like others, I really would prefer Hector only getting one start a week).

I’m OK with the starters, it’s the hand we were dealt and the reason we’re six games over .500, well that and a perfect game and a string of shutouts.

10. willedav said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:52 am

even if all we get is polanco and wigginton, I think it’s necessary. Waiting for Tim to turn it around hasn’t been much fun so far, has it? SF is going to need to score more runs with he and Z starting twice a week, and right now there are too many .600 OPS guys in the LU and on the bench. Neither blanco nor Pagan had very good stats for June which gives me some pause; Pagan is at .737 OPS now and a 1.7 WAR player. If the only replacement for either of them when they need a day off is Nate, I don’t like it. I highly doubt anything out of farm helps us this year at any position. So unless you really like what you have, you have to go get someone.
    I’m gonna go listen to Junior Walker’s “Home cookin” on youtube.

11. zumiee said, on July 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

Chi, it is indeed exciting to have so many Giants starting, but my interest in the game went way up when Cain was named as the starting pitcher, because it created drama for me as a viewer. I want Cain to do well to prove that LaRussa made the right choice. I’m actually a little nervous about it, for some reason. I’m greatly anticipating the start of the game, which is very rare for me when it comes to All-Star games.

12. Bozo said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:06 am

Off topic. I just found out that I’ve visited the Flap 12,278 times. Man, life in the land of mud and bugs has been slower than I thought.

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:23 am

How the hell did you find that, John?

• Bozo said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:34 am

Right click on the page, select View Page Info, go into the Security tab and mine has a line that says “Have I visited this web site prior to Today” which has the number of times.

• ewisco said, on July 10, 2012 at 10:39 am

didn’t work for me. cool stat though

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Didn’t work for me, either…may be firewall settings at work…will try when I get home.

13. zumiee said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:13 am

Regarding Tim, it makes sense to start him in that San Diego series at home, and then when the team immediately hits the road for another hot-weather road-trip (Atl. and Philly), there’s an off-day coming up in the schedule, and an opportunity to skip a start if need be.

14. chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:24 am

Not sure if you all saw this piece on MLB Trade Rumors…good news re: re-signing Melky:

• twinfan1 said, on July 10, 2012 at 10:01 am

If they could get that done before the deadline, I’d be more amenable to Hart, but with Brown still off limits.

15. twinfan1 said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:26 am

With Johnson or Polanco, I would think of them as utility players originally, but they’re guys who could start and play effectively- uh, I hope so..
    I wonder what they’re doing with Huff is what I hoped they’d do- stash him until the rosters expand. That also lets them keep Burriss, who surely would have gone when Huff was activated. Down the September stretch it doesn’t take much for a bench warmer to help win a game or two- a SB, a sac bunt, whatever. Of course if they did pick up

an infielder at the break, Manny is gone, no doubt.

16. demp28 said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:30 am

zumiee, Vida Blue in 1978, Hammaker in 1983, Big Daddy in 1989, Estes in 1997, and Timmy in 2011 all did not fare well in their AS appearances. I hear you loud and clear about Cain and being somewhat nervous. Correct me if I’m wrong. I think Matt will be fine. In fact, I’m going out on a limb and says he goes two innings, 0 runs with a couple of K’s. It helps to have Buster behind the dish.
    So, what do the Giants need? Hmm. I was listening to KNBR this morning and they had Chris Russo on. I would have to agree with him when he said the Giants might be “gun shy” about pulling a deal like they did last year with Wheeler for Beltran. Realistically, who in the Giants farm system is trade value? Do the Giants really want to give up Brown or Hembree or Joseph for a “rental”? Not unless they want to take on more salary and pick

17. demp28 said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:33 am

up a Wigginton or Hart or a Johnson. Sorry guys, I was typing from my phone and tan out of space.

18. demp28 said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:40 am

ran. Ran out of space. I think the time off right now hopefully will do Timmy some good. Seclude himself in Seattle and talk to his dad about his mechanics. If he pitches like he did in September of 2010, I think the Giants have a strong chance of returning to the WS.
    Keep in mind, the fricking Bums are going to get Kemp, Eithier and Ellis back soon so it would behoove Timmy to become Freak 2.0 and pitch like his Giants career depended on it.

19. Bozo said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:42 am

Talking about right handed bats off the bench and nobody has mentioned Manny Ramirez. From a marketing stand point alone…ouch, what are these stones ye be casting at me.

• demp28 said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

Worst case, bring up Pill. He was our RH off the bench.

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

I saw him a couple of times when he was with the A’s AAA club in Sac. He didn’t look good…out of shape and no power the few ABs I saw. No way in hell I want him.

20. Macdog said, on July 10, 2012 at 9:47 am

1. Lincecum. As has been noted here and elsewhere, if Timmy was having just an average season the Giants would have a nice cushion in the NL West. Maybe the problem is he’s trying too hard to be Cy Young/All-Star Timmy, and we may never see that again. We just need — dare I say it — quality starts. Give the team a chance to win and stay out of big innings. Case in point: Last week, Cain had 1st and 3rd with no outs vs. the Nats. He sacrificed a run to get a double play and keep the Nats from getting 2 or 3. If that was Timmy, he’d probably give up a 3-run bomb after trying to get a K.

2. RH power bat. And I’m not sure one is enough. The Giants are fifth in the NL in hits, but 15th in extra-base hits. There’s just too many singles hitters on this team, and we saw last week when the other team is hitting doubles and homers, the Giants can’t compete. Wigginton or Hart would be a start, but I’m with Twin, not at the expense of Brown since the Giants already gave away a top pick in Wheeler. Palanco or Victorino I’m not too keen on.

3. Casilla. Until the last week or so, he made us forget all about Wilson, not an easy thing to do, he was that good. Now he’s had a few blown saves. How will he respond? I think he’ll be fine, but if he isn’t, we’re screwed.

Sorry, Chi, I’d feel better about the four All-Stars if they all were deserving to start. But Wright, a viable MVP candidate, not starting is a disgrace. That said, I hope they all kick ass tonight, especially Matty.

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

Good stuff, Mac. A couple of points.

I agree whole-heartedly on your analysis on Tim..especially if he was ‘average’ and what the Giants lead might be. And yes…I would be happy, at this point, with quality starts that truly give the team a chance to win.

I am not that worried about where the teams stacks-up in extra-base hits. Sure, I want a RH bat with some pop, but the more discouraging stat to me is their stats in RISP and RISP, 2 out.

They are 5th in team BA and 12th in runs scored. But, 15th (.225) w/RISP, and 15th (.183) 2 out w/RISP.

The point here is they are decent hitting for average, but suck in situational hitting. Not sure how you improve that, but IF they could improve there, I think it doesn’t necessitate that much of a change…but one power bat would help off the bench. Not sure they need two is what I am trying to say.

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 10:06 am

If they were anywhere near their team BA in situational hitting (RISP and RISP, 2 out), they would be up there in runs scored, and probably more wins. I like the way they play currently (taking the extra base, stealing a bag)…again, adding one power bat to start on occasion and come off the bench would be a good start.

• Macdog said, on July 10, 2012 at 10:35 am

Thanx, Chi. BTW, where can I get the RISP ranking? I looked on mlb.com and couldn’t find it. Baseball reference?

21. snarkk said, on July 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

ChiP, here’s my wish list:

1. Solve the Lincecum problem. He finds himself immediately or he’s replaced, so that a second half .500 record in his/replacement’s starts is achieved. Everything else pales in comparison to this.
    2. RH bat with pop. Bench or regular platoon OFer.
    3. Improved hitting with RISP.
    4. Mota or somebody else replaces Hensley or get another late inning type to support Casilla in case he “craters”.

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

Yeah, pretty much where I am at. I had not listed the RISP item, but Mac’s post made me think of this, again.

22. zumie said, on July 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

Yeah, an upgrade in situational hitting would garner more wins. It kind of surprises me how a guy like Theriot, who is kind of an old-school scrappy guy, has trouble getting the runner on second, with no out, over to third. It just makes me think that there are reasons why guys like Theriot become journeymen that are not measured in statistics. Like Krukow has been saying lately, which is simple but profound- “The Giants need to play baseball.” If the Giants can keep their defense consistently good on a day-to-day basis, and get better at all the “little things” like the whole “get him on, get him over, get him in” thing, and get improvement from Lincecum, then they don’t need to do anything radical to the roster, IMO. A bench guy with some power would be a nice pick-up. Well, if we’re dreaming, or this was a movie, that guy would be Huff.

23. demp28 said, on July 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

Correction on Giants AS pitchers. I omitted Jason Schmidt in 2003, and Timmy started in 2009, not 2011. Marichal in 1965 and 67. Hubbell in 1934.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2012 at 11:38 am

Yesterday, the MLB network had “all-time All-Star moments” film-clips, and two of the top five were the Lynn grandslam off of Hammaker, and the Bo Jackson homerun off of Big Daddy. It’s the equivalent of getting “poster-ized” in basketball on a slam-dunk.

• zumiee said, on July 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

Displaying East Coast bias they had the elderly Ted Williams’ appearance at the All-Star game in Fenway Park, and getting swarmed by the players, as a top five moment. It’s a nice moment, but it’s remembered much more by Red Sox fans than anyone else. I’d totally forgotten about it. I would consider it Top Twenty-five, perhaps.

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Or, as Demp28 and I like to refer to him Atlee GotHammered. Agree on the “poster-ized comment. Ug-Ly.

24. Alleykat said, on July 10, 2012 at 11:52 am

Ted Williams was always a hard ass when it came to the media.But one of his kinder moments was when he said: “The All Star game was invented for Willie Mays.”

25. DJLoo said, on July 10, 2012 at 11:52 am

Fascinating POTD…

Since78: Why so serious? It’s a fuckin’ baseball blog.

26. eddacker said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm

FWIW
    The Lincecum I know was a gamer, the tougher the situation the tougher he faced it. He dominated with confidence. He had a go to pitch, fastball with movement in the strike zone. All his other pitches worked of that one. Many of them for swinging strikes.
    The Lincecum I see now doesn’t have either. Confidence and the go to fastball are gone, not speed wise, but location. Plus he is all over the place with all his current pitches and batters are taking more.
    I don’t know what the answer is and I am sure he has several people around him that should. For this reason I am starting to doubt. I do not like that feeling.
    just my 2 cents worth.

27. eddacker said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I truly think the team can afford and has the scouts to improve the offence. I am not sure what the party line is as to the needs for a RH popping bat.

28. eddacker said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm

There have been bright spots in the season so far where the Giants were scoring and moving men over and hitting when needed. Those spots need to last longer especially against the better pitchers and always against the weaker pitchers.

29. eddacker said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I am truly saddened that the blog is losing steam. Long live The Flap!

😀

• snarkk said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Steam will be picked up if SF contends in August and September…

30. eddacker said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm

and a shout out, the BBOTD has been changed

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

🙂

31. snarkk said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I believe Sabes will make multiple moves. Minimum 3 players will be changed out for 3 new players in. Maybe 4. He knows the starting pitching is on the precipice of 2/5 disaster, the Pen needs help for the dog days and Casilla has no track record as a closer then, he knows the bench sucks, and he knows he needs some pop to be competitive if they make the playoffs. And, I’m not figuring Huff back in the mix as one of the adds. One of the adds could come after the deadline, but he can’t count on that happening, so the key adds must come before the deadline…

32. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I hate to see posts where someone says they are not coming back, such as the one from sinceseventy8. However, I understand the sentiment, since I have been there too, albeit, I didn’t announce it in the blog. The bottom line is that I didn’t follow through because the Flap is a special place. Even when I was back packing Central and South America earlier this year, I followed the blog (although, it was quite difficult to post – try typing on a tablet and you will understand).

Basically, two things bind us all together – first and foremost, we are Giants fans; and, second, Flav put together a unique blog experience that you wont find anywhere else. At least, that’s my opinion.

Chi, I respect your opinion and more important, you are entitled to it. However, if you read between the lines (so to speak), Flav is making an important point by making this the post of the day . . . TO ALL OF US. In fact, he commented on it last night. So if you get a chance, read what Flav said. I guess what I am trying to say Chi, is try not to be too harsh with regard to sinceseventy8. I have said some really stupid/dumb things here (by the way, I am not saying that his post was dumb) and I am glad no one told me to get the fuck out and don’t come back

In any event, like a few others that responded to sinceseventy8 yesterday, I hope he changes his mind and comes back.

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I will go back to read Flav’s post from last night, Steve, and thanks for the words. I felt bad with my comment to 78 almost immediately, and remembered that I can now edit comments, so I deleted it. You are right, we all have opinions and are entitled to them, and just because I don’t agree with the view of another blogger does not give me the right to be a jackass (and that is what I did with that comment).

And I too hope that sinceseventy8 comes back.

There are “spats” that happen here occasionally, but I think solid baseball talk is much more the norm.

Anyway, thanks again for the words…I do appreciate it.

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm

De nada my friend. Besides, you have to come back to Denver and buy me dinner. Grin.

33. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Hey Ed, I saw your FL post . . . Thanks! You have a great team too – good in all areas and you have a significant opportunity to add SB and SV points.

• eddacker said, on July 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Well my goal this season was into the top 6, I do have a good chance for that.

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 1:17 pm

That will be no sweat in my opinion Ed. Sheesh, I am worried about you passing my ass.

• eddacker said, on July 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm

that would be nice for an illusion

😀

DMD still looks strong and Uncle is getting both Kemp and Halladay back. Not to mention your friendds Dirt and NoTalent

34. snarkk said, on July 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I would not be surprised if Sabes makes a move or moves that are in the range of substantial to blockbuster categories, ala the Matt Williams trade in 1996. I think the Tim meltdown is a real gamechanger. If he can’t pull out of the nosedive in this next start and gets DLed or otherwise dropped outta the rotation, the scope of moves to be made has to increase dramatically…

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Yes, I wouldn’t be surprised either, since he has done that in the past. With us so close to first, a couple of small trades or blockbuster wouldn’t surprise me. I think he will evaluate the team in the first two weeks after the All Star game, then determine what is needed.

35. twinfan1 said, on July 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I responded to 78 and I’ll go further. There is little doubt that the number 1 issue is as has 78 said- the relationship between Flavor and myself that spills onto the blog- and there is no more blame on one than the other. I’ve discussed this privately with Craig today. The fact is that the new format has been an improvent but the numbers are down- and even one incident like the other night is bound to cause some to throw up their hands and think “here we go again”. It’s not that there’s a beef- it’s that it goes on and on and on- someone has to suck it up and end it- I’ve told Craig I’ll just go over to the Splash and kick troll ass if helps keep peace here. And I’m not violating a trust if I say, as he did, that Craig knows he has to not violate his own rules about these things. Craig is considering shutting this down for good and I think posters here should urge that he not do so.
    As far as the issue wuth Blade, two issues now, I won’t discuss the one case because it would make an innoicent party uncomfortable,.I’m not casting any stones here so I think it would be counter productive for anyone to do so now. But it’s America, at least until next January…
    Final note to Steve- if you thought I was putting words in your mouth, you either read it wrong or I said it wrong. If it helps get past this, I’ll just take the rap and go with I said it wrong. My intention was to state my opinion, not dictate yours. Sidenote: you’ll be getting you thermal compound for the CPU tomorrow. If you think you might be unsure on how to apply it, don’t burn your processor up because we’ve had issues here. Nothing could possibly be worse for either of us than to have your prize ruined. As I’ve said before- I *am* a person of integrity and I would never abandon any of the Flappers who won PCs from me.

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Let’s just bury the hatchet and move past those two issues. I know from experience that any resentment that I carry is a burden that will only get heavier with time. So, I am past it and am moving on.

Regarding the fan and thermal paste, I will give you a call if I run across a problem. Thank you for sending both, it’s much appreciated.

36. eddacker said, on July 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm

We have a lot of knowledgeable and baseball talented observers here. And like many talented/smart people we git a bit diva at times. And emails, blog posts or twitter are very difficult mediums to communicate accurately on. I am sure if we were in a club, meeting face to face these arguments wouldn’t happen as often and would be concluded quickly. It is the understanding of these things that will create honest give and take while discussing baseball, our team and each other.

• snarkk said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Copious amounts of beer and scotch 😉 would help the mutual understanding…

37. decap said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I would definitely be bummed if this place got shut down. Even though I hardly post I generally enjoy the knowledge and opinions of most people here. Not being located in Giants home territory any more, I come here to get a better feel for the team and read things I couldn’t know otherwise. I like the mix of old school knowledge, personal opinions, and numbers. I come here pretty much daily, and I can’t bring myself to read the splash anymore.

• DJLoo said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Obviously, you’re a huge DJLoo fan.
      Would you like an autographed 4 x 5?

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:29 pm

LQTM…

• Bozo said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’m pretty sure Flav does, Loo.

38. ewisco said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm

it was a bummer to read that the flap is fading. especially after my brilliant work! But hopefully it’s just an ebb and flow thing. As for the drama, the great part about a scroll button is i just scroll right past it. though i never missed a word of a good twin vs. soph cage match.

39. chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I agree with Eric, and hope it is just an “ebb and flow” situation. I “met” many of you back on the Splash. Came to “Flap 1” at Craig’s suggestion, and, with a few absenses, have been here since. And when there is a heated discussion between a couple of bloggers…I too just scroll on, and look for a conversation/thread to my liking.

There are many knowledgeable folks on this blog. I have learned a lot from many of you. I think it would be a major travesty for this place to shut down.

Craig, if you are seriously considering pulling the plug, I hope you reconsider.

40. Salty said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm

People get in pissing matches much easier online whether it’s a blog or an e-mail. It figure it’s the nature of the beast. Much easier to be misunderstood because you can’t communicate tone, seriousness etc…those silly 🙂 notwithstanding.

41. TedSpe said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm

The Flap can’t close down. Sometimes it’s all I have.
    My life has been pretty shitty lately. A few months back, as an upwards career move, my girlfriend decided to move to San Jose. That may not seem too far but now all she does is work, go home, eat dinner and go to sleep. She doesn’t have time to even talk on the phone any more. So that’s basically over. My new job’s becoming overwhelming to the point I’m not sure I can function. People have been quitting left and right, they don’t get replaced because the new CEO has made HUGE budget cuts and they’ve been dumping some of these duties on me. And I’ve got Federal examiners coming later this month and I KNOW they’re going to find a bunch of shit to criticize because I’m always playing catch-up. Last night I went out drinking with some friends. When I got home I popped on a DVD and fell asleep in front of the T.V. This is one of those DVDs that when the movie’s over, the DVD just keeps running with the theme song playing over and over and over again until you actually shut it off. So there I am, passed out and apparently the TV was on too loud. Two of my neighbors at the apartment made written complaints to the apartment manager this morning and she called me to tell me that she’s going to start eviction proceedings if there’s ever another complaint about me. And I’ve been living there for 20 years!!?? And this is the first moment I’ve had to even get a chance to post here I think since Sunday. At least it feels that way.
    Hopefully this will make some of you guys feel better. A chance for a little Schadenfreude. But no, please don’t shut the Flap down.
    Thanks

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Well, if that isn’t POTD, then I am a horses ass . . . Don’t answer that Ted. 🙂

• DJLoo said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Your girlfriend doesn’t want to talk on the phone and you’re complaining???

• snarkk said, on July 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Ted, dude. Man, you need to breathe. I’ve been there. I was in SValley in a pretty responsible position for around 4 years and the execs kept dumping more and more shit on me, way beyond my job descrip. Why? Because once more and more departments dealt with me and realized I got shit done, was responsible, and pretty smart, and was a straight shooter, they’d lay all sorts of crap off on me. Requests to the CFO (my direct boss) as well as my buddy the Gen Counsel (to intercede for me) for more staff to help me do my real job and run my own department fell on deaf ears. The Sales guys technically at lower levels than I got their asses kissed, while I picked up their messes, then went to work to do MY job. I was the only guy in quarterly wrap meetings not at least at the VP level, but contributed at a VP level, yet not rewarded at a VP level comp wise. Eventually I bagged it, because I saw no way it would improve and never saw my Snarkettes and Mrs. Snarkk, and my health was starting to deteriorate. It’s a matter of respect, personal and for the job you do. If you’re not respected, for whatever reason, and/or what you do is not nearly or absolutely critical to revenue production, then nothing will change — that’s the conclusion I made. I found out later from one of my former staff that they replaced me with a VP level guy who demanded and got within the year 3 additional staff over when I left. Go figure. So, if you have any alternatives, consider them. I got out and have been doing my own thing for years now. I don’t make near the scratch as before, and that’s an issue. It’s not EZ. But my stomach isn’t tied up in knots and if I get pissed, I’m the one getting pissed at myself…

• ewisco said, on July 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm

hang in there bucko. if you need, a couple of us can come over, break a couple of legs. you know, give them some perspective.

42. TedSpe said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Oh and nice post, chi

• chipower9 said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thanks, Ted…and I agree with Steve…that should be the POTD…not going anywhere near the “horses ass” comment. 😉

43. snarkk said, on July 10, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I was thinking that baseball is a “funny” game, as in strange and unpredictable, not funny as in ha ha. And, that’s part of why we like it so much. Who would have guessed that Lincecum would have a total meltdown in effectiveness this year? Some of you before did not want to sign him long term, I got that, but did anyone see this type of mind-bending Zitoesque situation coming at THIS particular time? Maybe in two or three years, but certainly even then not such a free fall off the ledge, unless it were a catastrophic injury. Sure, the Tim naysayers said when drafted that he was a risk, but I don’t think they even saw something like this — they were talking about injury risk — unless he IS injured now. I’m sure that replacing Tim with any kind of a serviceable starter now was the furthest thing from the Giants mind this past season when they signed him. Yet, here we are, and a key part of the mid course corrections may be replacing his ass, instead of focusing on tweaks to the position players to boost bench power and run scoring. With new players and Pagan, some defensive lapses could be expected, but I don’t think the Giants could possibly have predicted such a huge fall in overall defense, which has improved lately, but still rears it’s ugly head too often. Nor would yet another Panda wrist issue be considered possible, so soon from the last one. A funny game it is….

44. ewisco said, on July 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm

any picks for tonight? i’m going NL just cuz. or should i just assume we’re all NL fans? I think i said this before but at the AS game at the stick i was ALL fired up. they introduced the AL and i was all sure, fine, very nice. NL, NL, NL!! then they started introducing the NL and i kept having to boo the son of a bitch cuz each and everyone of them KILLED the giants. so i’m booing, clapping and laughing my ass off at the ridiculousness of the whole thing.

• snarkk said, on July 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Pitching usually dominates these things lately. That seems to favor the NL tonight. But, it’s in an AL park, and the AL has a boatload of sluggers. The HR derby confirms the difference. I’ll pick the AL because of the HR potential. 6-3, AL…

45. zumie said, on July 10, 2012 at 3:27 pm

The AL’s had trouble scoring in the All-Star game in the last couple of years. I like to hope it’s a general trend on into the future. NL pitching is dominating AL hitting these days, with the Giants defeating Texas in ’10 as a prime example. The NL has won 3 of the last 4 World Series, and the last 2 All-Star games. And yet…..what do we always hear in the national media? How awesome the AL hitters are. So….a nice 4-2 victory by the NL tonight would be real cool.

46. Alleykat said, on July 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Like to see Cain freak out Posey and throw a knuckle ball on the 1st pitch tonight.

47. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Last night I didn’t know why they were booing Robinson Cano . . . This morning I found out that fans were angry because he said he would take a Royals player for the event, then chose Mark Trumbo instead. It was also interesting that Cano, the defending champion, became the first player since Brandon Inge in 2009 not to hit a home run. Years ago back in the 60s, the Yankees seemingly used KC as a farm team, e.g., Roger Maris, etc., so I wasn’t to empathetic to Cano when he got booed. 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm

*too

48. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm

What the hell was Erin Andrews wearing? Looks like the Big Top Circus was in town last week and someone forget to pack the tent. Mr. Blackwell is spinning in his grave.

• Bozo said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Once you go Clown, there’s never a frown?

49. Sportdude said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Can’t shut down the Flap! I may not post daily anymore, but connects me to Giants fans, and good ones, knowledgeable ones. I live in socal, and Giants fans are hard to find. Any of the regulars can agree that coming on here after winning it all was like reliving it all over! I knew I had a place to share the pure joy I felt. No one in my family is a diehard like me, so the Flap made the whole thing just better.

50. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Per Wiki, “On July 4, 1976, McCarver hit what is known as a “Grand Slam Single” when after hitting a game-winning home run he passed his teammate Garry Maddox in the basepath. As host of “The Not-so-Great Moments in Sports” special which aired on HBO, he supposedly said to the umpire, “I didn’t pass him, he lapped me.” Asked later how he could have done that, McCarver replied “sheer speed.”

• DJLoo said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:21 pm

That was on the bicentennial, Blade. My buddies and I celebrated America’s independence by blowing up a hated neighbor’s tool shed…

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I was getting shit faced in Merry Ole’ England, after working an Air Show that day at RAF Mildenhall. Great times . . .

51. Alleykat said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Your the man Melky,right out of the gate basehit,and digging the bright orange shoes!!!

52. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Oh Yeah! Panda!

53. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm

David Wright who?

54. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Giants making us proud.

55. Flavor said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm

extremely happy for Pablo right now and couldn’t be laughing harder at the Mets fans who have had their panties all bunched up over this.

56. Alleykat said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Fuck yeah Panda!!! Ripped that triple for 3 runs!!!!
    NL ripping Verlander a new asshole!!!!

57. Irish Kevin said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

As it should be, We are Giants

58. Irish Kevin said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Got home from work just in time to see Panda bat!!!

59. DJLoo said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Real half-ass effort by Fielder…

• Irish Kevin said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm

He does not want to take a chance and get hurt during the AS game!!

• DJLoo said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Twin would probably remember Killebrew tearing a hamstring in the ’68 ASG stretching for a low throw at first.

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yeah, if looks could kill, Jeter’s look at Fielder after that half-assed effort would have struck him dead.

60. Irish Kevin said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Come on Matt strike this old prick out

61. Alleykat said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Matty with a 5 run lead before his first pitch.Gotta be digging that.
    Let’s recap Melky single,Posey walk,Panda triple,all 3.score and Matt will be the winning pitcher.Nice showing Giants!!!!!!

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Kat, I think you just wrote the first paragraph for tomorrow’s All Star game. Good job my man!

• Alleykat said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Blade,The Giants are making all Flappers and Diehard Giant fans proud tonight with their play!!!
        Agree Twin,Panda right now gets the MVP easily.

62. twinfan1 said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:41 pm

The way these things often go, that triple could have earned Panda the MVP. Some of the games have been so bad “hardest hit out” gets the MVP..

63. Irish Kevin said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Nice try by Furcal

64. Irish Kevin said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Typical fly ball off Matt, you just don’t know if it will go be a homer

65. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Very good inning for Matty.

66. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm

OK, now sit all of them, so we don’t have an “Atlee Hammaker” relapse. 🙂

• Alleykat said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Jesus Blade,You didnt see Fred Lynn in the park did you?

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I frickin’ hope not . . . no black cats either.

67. Flavor said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I hope everyone is recognizing the irony of Matt Cain getting 5 in the first–and the fact that it was a Giant who broke it open, well, that’s even more ironic……..

68. Alleykat said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Some awesome year for Matt Cain.Tosses a Perfect game,Will be the winning pitcher in the All Star game,will be right there as a favorite for the CY Young winner,that’s after the Horse takes MVP in the W/S as well.Being Matt Cain…Priceless!!!!

• DJLoo said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I’d still rather be Mr. Vogelsong…

69. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm

WOW! I had no frickin’ idea that Ken Rosenthal is Pee Wee Herman’s long lost brother. Has anyone told him???

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

ha, bow tie and all ….he did once respond to one of my Tweets complimenting him on wearing bow ties

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm

That smile of his; the ties; and he’s short . . . Dead ringer I tell ya.

70. twinfan1 said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I think Matt has had one of his better run support years, they’ve scored 4 or more ten times. But certainly for his career, run support has been a huge issue.

71. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

May not post again tonight so here it is: So proud in every respect with the demeanor and performance of our Giants: Pablo Sandoval, Matt Cain, Melky Cabrera, and Buster Posey. Put this in the scrapbook. Etch it in our hearts. Keep it in our veins. Boys did us proud.

Don’t expect that to be the lead for anyone reporting it. You could hear the disappointment in Joe Buck’s and Tim McCarver’s voices over Derek Jeter’s obvious error (not scored as such) and all the other big-market disappointments. Boo-fecking-hoo.

Yay, Giants Nation!

72. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

THE MUTHAFUCKIN SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS OWN THIS GAME.

• blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Yeah, broadcast crew just came out of their coma and acknowledged that.

73. blade3colorado said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I think Melky just took the lead on All Star MVP . . . Regardless, it WILL BE A GIANT.

• willedav said, on July 10, 2012 at 7:18 pm

and as my friends used to say, the price of poker just went up.

74. Salty said, on July 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm