Is This The Final *ABL* Day for 2012?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 14, 2012

I think tonight’s start is *it* for Timmy. I can’t imagine the Giants running him out there in the sweltering Atlanta heat if he pitches poorly tonight, at home, against arguably the worst hitting team in the national league. I’ll discuss *options* a little later in this thread.

We have spent a lot of time discussing the causes of this spectacular collapse by the 2-time Cy Young award winner. It’s probably a combination of a lot of things–some that are fixable, some that aren’t. Personally, I think we are way past taking one good start and feeling like he’s turned a corner. There isn’t *one corner* to turn. Timmy is at the top of Lombard Street looking down. And if he pitches well tonight, I’ll be happy because we likely won but it won’t do a thing to change my feelings about where he is or where he’s going this year. I think this is a lost year for him and while it’s certainly unusual for a pitcher at his age with his resume to have an implosion year like this one, there a lots of examples of pitchers *close* to his resume who have had one-off years. And my feelings are, turn the page on this season sooner rather than later…….

I’ve never had a problem *turning a page* on a player and moving on. That might sound heartless but it’s not (to me). Growing up, horse racing was a huge part of my life. And despite the cynical take a non-horse racing fan would take to the sport, the fact is, I’ve never known a more *emotional* sport for true, die hard fans.  But in horse racing, you have to be ready to withstand the blow of your favorite horse disappearing at any moment. Whether they break down in a race or they abruptly retire, you can’t get too close to the horse as a fan or you’re just setting yourself up to be let down over and over. I had lots of practice moving on from a horse that I was emotionally connected to. Why? Because there is no horse that’s more important than the sport.

And it’s the same for me in baseball. There is no player that’s more important than the team. My problem isn’t “Oh no, what shall we do, we just *can’t* move on without our beloved Timmy!!!!”. My problem is, after we DL him, what will be the plan to replace him>>> And by *replace* I don’t mean replacing 2-time CY award winning Timmy. I mean replacing the guy who will be dragging a 6.42 ERA out to the mound with him tonight. The bottom line is that we don’t need Timmy to return to his long lost former self. We just need a guy who isn’t going to implode every start. The Giants have 3 rock-solid aces in Cain, Bumgarner and Voggy. And whatever your opinions are of Zito, he’s given the team a chance to win more often than not each time he’s taken the hill this year. Lincecum has not done that. He’s started 18 games this year and the team has won 4 of them. F-O-U-R. That can’t continue….

And I don’t think we have an answer in-house. I suppose the Giants could cobble together some kind of “Penny-Hacker” concoction but that likely wouldn’t be better than “6.42”–they might do it in Atlanta just to buy Sabes a little time. But at this point in the season, the answer is obviously a mid-season trade. If Sabean went out and got a guy like Wandy Rodriguez, I think all of our problems would be solved this year. Wandy might be a perfect target, in fact. He’s making 10 million this season, 13 million next season and then there’s a club option on him for 2014. So he is NOT a rental. And if he’s not a rental, I would give up Brown and a couple other lower level prospects for him. And remember, the long-term depth of our pitching staff is NOT looking good right now. In 2014 we have exactly 2 pitchers who will be on that staff (Cain and Bum). The Giants are going to seriously have to look at picking Zito’s option up if they don’t find some other arms. And I’d rather pay Wandy 13 million and Zito his 7 million dollar buy out than give Zito 18 million dollars……..

But that’s a discussion for another day. The point is, there are a lot of #2/#3 pitchers to target in a trade. Wandy is probably considered their #1 so you aren’t going to get him for a combination of “Nate/Burriss/Linden/any other shit you can think of.” Remember, if we don’t want them other teams probably don’t, either. You HAVE to give up quality to get something you want in a trade and no team is gonna get hoodwinked in a trade as the deadline approaches. The sellers have all the leverage at this time of the year (ESPECIALLY if they are selling pitching, something all teams need) and you’re probably going to have to overpay a little to get what you want……

But something has to be done NOW. We aren’t talking about a position player who’s having a terrible year who you can just hide somewhere in the LU. We’re talking about a key starting pitcher and we can’t continue to lose 78% of the time he pitches. I agree whole hardly that our season is probably toast if Zito *reverts* and Timmy doesn’t. So one of them has to go. If we can add a pitcher via trade who can at least go out there and give us a chance to win most of the time we are going to be good to go with our *3 Aces* + new guy + Zito and a competent offense leading the way. The Giants can DL Timmy with some phantom injury and figure out what to do with him sometime later this Summer. Either that, or just bring him back to replace an injury or Zito if he *reverts*……

1. eddacker said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:10 pm

and I wanted to go to the gym this morning
    maybe some lap swimming later today, it is back to bed for me
    congratulations, Flappers, you willed this win

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm

oh come on, stop being a huge pussy and stay up for the Olympics! 🙂

2. Flavor said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Fantastic. There’s nothing better than watching the Beer Truck put his head down and drop it into Mach 3…..
    Props to Hector because he fixed his massive fuck ups from earlier….

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:13 pm

and you could see what the players think of Sanchez on The Pile. They clearly love that guy, especially and obviously the Latin guys…

• willedav said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:21 pm

yeah, you gotta luv the way he hustles his ass around the bases. Sure, he’s “built for comfort”, but I admire the effort and how hard he plays.
      Again, just like I said this morning, the shit teams in baseball are not going to lose every game 15-0 or get blasted like crummy overmatched teams in football or b-ball. The Pads came back twice beat LA tonite, and the Stros made the giants strain for 4 hours plus to get the W.

• willedav said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm

sandoval is who i meant–shoulda went under flav’s previous “beer truck” post.

3. tedspe said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Giants.
    1st Place

4. Flavor said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Melky, the guy who never says shit to the media and goes the professional rout on everything, was the first guy to Pablo and the first guy to sack Sanchez. That’s hard to do unless you are a leader.

5. tedspe said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm

And this, my fellow Flappers, is why I love baseball. Any single game can take a Shakespearian turn. When Sanchez fucked up, I wasn’t all doom and gloom. I didn’t necessarily think they would lose. I figured they could still win. But I felt I’d be glad for the win yet still be pissed off for what Sanchez did to Lincecum and Castillo.
    And what happens?
    A Sanchezshank Redemption!!
    PLUS–Bizzaro world ending to the SD-LA ballgame putting the Giants in 1st place.
    Baseball.
    Jesus-H-Christ. It’s the best.
    Now. Someone tell me. What does the “H” stand for in Jesus-H-Christ

• zumie said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm

“A Sanchezshank Redemption!!”
      That’s awesome, Ted. (grin)

• tedspe said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Thanks, zum.

• ewisco said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm

“harold be thy name”

6. Nipper said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Nice Win! Good effort despite the downer Ninth.

7. zumiee said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I appreciate MadBum nicely but firmly pulling people off the pile, trying to lessen the chance of someone getting hurt. Nice to see some sanity in the midst of the insanity.

8. Berger said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm

The drinking Berger wants to make a point. Blanco is Blank Zero. Start Nate. I do not care if Blank Zero was the Venezuelan MVP, Nate is the better baseball player. I’m sure Nate would hit at least 250(Blank 0 hits 250) and have many more power numbers. Nate also has a superior arm. Blank 0 is for Nate haters because he sucks, compared to Nate. Blank 0 is the anti-clutch, as well as hitting only .250. Nate helped us win WS in 2010!

9. ewisco said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm

‘night lads.

10. tedspe said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Is zumie and zumiee the same guy? I get confused.
    I think Albert Einstein explained baseball best when he said:
    “The results of scientific research very often force a change in the
    philosophical view of problems which extend far beyond the restricted domain of science itself.”
    In other words–Lincecum’s ERA is now under 6.00
    Goodnight, gentlemen (?)

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Zumie and Zumiee are the same. A little quirk of WordPress. (grin)

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Meaning I sometimes forget to log onto WordPress before I make my first post, and….it’s a long story. (grin)

11. snarkk said, on July 14, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Ted, re: your prior post — only a thespian calls in Caspar Guttman. Outstanding, heh heh, as Greenstreet would say. I heard, did not see this game. Something about an evening picnic with Mrs. Snarkk and the Snarkettes and friends. But, on the Sony walkman I did hear Casilla and Hector cough up the 9th inning hairball and when it went down I did a spit take with my Gewürztraminer. But, no matter. Good for Hector to go from goat to hero. Timmy looked (sounded) like maybe he’s found something, I pray it is so. And the Dodgairs lose in the 9th with 2 out without even throwing a pitch. Baseball. The greatest game, proved every day….

• Flavor said, on July 14, 2012 at 11:03 pm

You might want to exclude Casilla from Thr same sentence as Hector in regards to the 9th inning. He struck out 3 and got 4 outs.

• snarkk said, on July 14, 2012 at 11:06 pm

OK, though Casilla did give up a walk. That’s a no no. I’m going to look at the highlights. I’m jacked that Timmeh seemed to get it together, though I am tempering with the realization it was the ‘Stros. The win is feeling better as I hit a tumbler of some highland Scotch and head for the highlights…

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2012 at 11:10 pm

The bottom line- the Giants back in firstplace, and it’s a beautiful thing.

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 15, 2012 at 6:50 am

340 comments can’t be wrong…The Flap remains strong and gritty.

13. Berger said, on July 15, 2012 at 7:23 am

I feel a need to clean up my drunken post from last night. I have nothing against Blanco, I just think Nate is better. If Nate lost the job because Blanco got hot in spring training and the beginning of the year, shouldn’t Nate get his job back now that Blanco is no longer hot? This move would also allow us to us to pick and choose when we strategically bring in Blanco at a point in a game when we need his base running.

• Nipper said, on July 15, 2012 at 7:35 am

After all, we’re GIANT!

• eddacker said, on July 15, 2012 at 8:08 am

One thing you did not mention last night is: Nate is not a slow runner, either. Maybe not as fast as the White Shark, but he has been used as a pinch runner and he is not slow. Plus he is from Danville or somewhere out there in the boonies.

• tedspe said, on July 15, 2012 at 8:31 am

Berger, your post is fine. I had to read it twice but it’s fine

• Flavor said, on July 15, 2012 at 9:03 am

the fact that you qualified it with “the drunken Berger wants to make a point…..” instantly turned the post to gold. For me.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 15, 2012 at 9:20 am

Gold? Try listening to Berger’s insistent drunken-ass on the phone for hours on end.
        I’m minus a left ear.

Who love’s ya baby?

14. twinfan1 said, on July 15, 2012 at 8:55 am

Nate helped them win the 2010 WS by *not* starting.And he’s shown over and over why he shouldn’t. Blanco had been slumping , something the Natester has great experience with. But in case you missed it, Gregor was on base 3 times last night. Nate needs spot starts but he also needs to contribute off the bench- 5 for 25 as a PH with 1 RBI doesn’t cut it. The Cult of Nate is no more…