A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Name Yours…

Posted in Uncategorized by chipower9 on July 19, 2012

No…no…no…not that…get your mind out of the gutter! WTF…I thought this was a baseball blog (you do have to wonder sometimes). Actually, in all seriousness, one of the things I love most about The Flap is the knowledge you all have about the Giants, and also some of the stories you share. There is some awesome baseball knowledge and great San Francisco Giant stories on this site.

Speaking of stories…the year is 1987. The previous year saw the Giants bring a winning record (and a 3rd place NL West finish) to the City (this after they lost a franchise record 100 games in 1985). There was excitement associated with two young players named Will “The Thrill” Clark and Robby Thompson, who as rookies, broke in with the team in ‘86. There was definitely a buzz in the air. The marketing slogan that year was one of my all-time favorites: “Humm Baby, It’s Gonna Be Fun!”

The Opening Day line-up had Chili Davis and Jeffrey “The Hack Man” Leonard (One Flap Down, Baby!) roving the outfield. Jose Ooo-ReeBay was at short. Bob Brenly was throwing down signs to the Big Right Hander, Mike Krukow. And of course, you had Chris “Coach I have a hang nail” Brown at third (SO forgettable). Oh, and let us not forget, a guy named Matt Williams made his major league debut that year (I still think he had one of the sweetest RH swings of all time).

This was a fun team to watch. You had to love the kids Clark and Thompson and the team also had its share of savvy vets…it was just a really nice mix. Then in July, General Manager Al Rosen worked his magic with a couple of astute trades that brought the team Dave Draveky, Craig Lefferts, Kevin “Boogie Bear” Mitchell, and Don “The Caveman” Robinson. Another trade in August bolstered the pitching staff when Rosen made a trade for Rick “Big Daddy” Reuschel.

To make a long story short, the team (behind the leadership of eventual Manager of the Year Roger Craig) went on to win 90 games AND the NL West Pennant. Of course, our Giants lost to the Cardinals in the NLCS in seven games, but the team had a created a new identity and the City was again in love with their Giants.

So, if you have not figured it out by now, the theme for today’s thread is “what is YOUR all-time favorite Giant team?” My motivation for choosing this thread is somewhat selfish, because as I mentioned earlier, you all have some great stories, and you also have wonderful knowledge of our team.

So, I have shared my favorite (those 1987 Giants), and now it is time for you to share that knowledge and some of those stories.

What is your favorite Giant team, and why?

Make it a great day, Flappers…and keep your brooms handy (never know when you might need one).

Humm Baby – Let’s Do it Again!

1. DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Just looking at those ’79 Pirates – how’s this stat on Tim Foli: 1 HR / 65 RBI’s
    I wonder what the record for RBI’s in a homerless season is.

2. DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I’d like to know the post WW2 answer and if anybody had more RBIs than Foli with just one homer.
    Oh well.

• Alleykat said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Back in 1985,Cardinals 2B Tom Herr put up an impressive year,A/S 5th in MVP award, while only hitting 8HR’s but had 110 RBI’s quite a feat back then.

3. James said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Zero HRs, 48 RBIs for the ridiculous Al Oliver in 84. Probably not a record, but his drives to the LF warning track are burned into memory.

4. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:13 pm

James, I nominate your 8:08 as the absolute, no question , NON-mealy mouth POTY… 😉

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm

You and all the knbr nimrods. I’m not saying you esteemed flappers and the knbr nimrods haven’t acidentily stumbled upon the same page. It’s certainly possible.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I don’t understand a word you are saying, Craig. I thought his 8:36 was meant to be humorous- but horrors! KNBR? I thought it was 3 hours of ballgame and 21 hours of Melissa Scott..

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Melissa Scott would be an improvement on Byrnes, and she doesn’t have to yell, either…

• James said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I find it hard to believe the radio talk show rabble are on Belt’s side. If so, that’s great — maybe Obama has a chance after all.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:53 pm

The talk shows on KNBR that I’ve heard are not in Belt’s camp. At best, it’s even. Seems to me it’s about 60/40 to get rid of his ass…

5. blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm

According to all accounts, Belt’s swing has way too much movement. Does he even have a home run against a right handed pitcher this year? I doubt it. Last, but not least, he strikes out way, way too much (upwards of 24 percent). Besides June, he has sucked in April, May, and July. I can’t wait for what August will bring.

6. snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Why isn’t everybody on Huff’s ass way more than Belt? Belt being rushed up and yo yoked like a Whammo product is squarely a result of Huff’s flameout since he signed his extension. He’s disappeared for $22 million. He should be crushed in the media, but because he’s not around, and he had a personal and mental issue, it appears to be hands off. Well, he was out of shape and crap in 2011 before his wife filed for divorce…

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Tom, I think it’s for the very reason you cited – he’s out of sight, out of mind. Equally important, the “mental issue” is something most people are sensitive about. Not saying you aren’t right, because frankly, his “suckitude” has been worse than Belt’s for a longer period of time and cost us much more (as you also noted).

7. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm

One expects some of what Blade describes from a young hitter in his first full year. Two examples of young, highly regarded first baseman suffering worse growing pains are Mayberry and Ike Davis, both of whom have lower wRC+, lower OPS, and higher K rates.

8. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Belt reminds me of Matt Williams when he came up. A lot of struggles around flashes of talent.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Bingo. And Davis had massive trouble at the plate earlier/most this season. Just lately, he’s found the groove…
      Nite guys…

9. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm

But us acolytes are sicker of this than you, uh, non-believers. This is frigging simple, considering he’s not only the best we’ve got- it’s not even close- what could be simpler? PLAY HIM. EVERYDAY. When/if they get somebody better- play that guy everyday.

10. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Del Mar Dennis (by Dixieland Band out of Party Bonnet) has been relegated to Sway Back Pay Back (by Party Man Can out of Sayin Baby Man) for damn near a week now. My sciatic nerve and I continue to Sway Away (by Afleet Alex out of Seattle Shimmer) in pain.

Thank Christ God invented Vodka, Vicodin and muscle relaxers to help Alleviate (IRE) by [Indian Ridge (IRE) out of Alleluia (GB)] the pain.

11. tedspe said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I still can’t believe…Pete Rose is wedding this?

• James said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm

What does this have to do with Brandon Belt?

• tedspe said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Everything

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

So when Huff Daddy is activated, he’s going to start manning 1B again?
    That takes a shitload of pole smoking on Belt’s part for that to happen. I thought Belt was supposed to be a Can’tmiss Prospect (by Crafty Prospector out of Rodericka). He’s nothing but a Minor League (BRZ) by Bright Again out of Rovage (BRZ) wonder.

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:21 am

I must Praise (Mr. Prospector-Wild Applause by Northern Dancer) you for how you knock those out, Dennis.
      Sad to hear that old favorite Hollywood Wildcat passed away.
      James: Thanks for Al Oliver
      Snarkk: Duncan was much THE yo-yo company.