A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Name Yours…

Posted in Uncategorized by chipower9 on July 19, 2012

No…no…no…not that…get your mind out of the gutter! WTF…I thought this was a baseball blog (you do have to wonder sometimes). Actually, in all seriousness, one of the things I love most about The Flap is the knowledge you all have about the Giants, and also some of the stories you share. There is some awesome baseball knowledge and great San Francisco Giant stories on this site.

Speaking of stories…the year is 1987. The previous year saw the Giants bring a winning record (and a 3rd place NL West finish) to the City (this after they lost a franchise record 100 games in 1985). There was excitement associated with two young players named Will “The Thrill” Clark and Robby Thompson, who as rookies, broke in with the team in ‘86. There was definitely a buzz in the air. The marketing slogan that year was one of my all-time favorites: “Humm Baby, It’s Gonna Be Fun!”

The Opening Day line-up had Chili Davis and Jeffrey “The Hack Man” Leonard (One Flap Down, Baby!) roving the outfield. Jose Ooo-ReeBay was at short. Bob Brenly was throwing down signs to the Big Right Hander, Mike Krukow. And of course, you had Chris “Coach I have a hang nail” Brown at third (SO forgettable). Oh, and let us not forget, a guy named Matt Williams made his major league debut that year (I still think he had one of the sweetest RH swings of all time).

This was a fun team to watch. You had to love the kids Clark and Thompson and the team also had its share of savvy vets…it was just a really nice mix. Then in July, General Manager Al Rosen worked his magic with a couple of astute trades that brought the team Dave Draveky, Craig Lefferts, Kevin “Boogie Bear” Mitchell, and Don “The Caveman” Robinson. Another trade in August bolstered the pitching staff when Rosen made a trade for Rick “Big Daddy” Reuschel.

To make a long story short, the team (behind the leadership of eventual Manager of the Year Roger Craig) went on to win 90 games AND the NL West Pennant. Of course, our Giants lost to the Cardinals in the NLCS in seven games, but the team had a created a new identity and the City was again in love with their Giants.

So, if you have not figured it out by now, the theme for today’s thread is “what is YOUR all-time favorite Giant team?” My motivation for choosing this thread is somewhat selfish, because as I mentioned earlier, you all have some great stories, and you also have wonderful knowledge of our team.

So, I have shared my favorite (those 1987 Giants), and now it is time for you to share that knowledge and some of those stories.

What is your favorite Giant team, and why?

Make it a great day, Flappers…and keep your brooms handy (never know when you might need one).

Humm Baby – Let’s Do it Again!

1. blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:42 am

Weatherproof game: Indians at Rays. Perhaps it is easier today to point out where it won’t be raining. San Diego will have a high of 76 with some low clouds, while northern California will be a bit cooler, in the high 60s in Oakland. Boston will see mostly sunny skies with a high of 83 degrees. It is expected to be 90 and sunny, though humid, in Minnesota. Thunderstorms, and strong ones at that, will be the norm in all six other stadium locations on Thursday, with temperatures ranging from the 80s in Chicago and Detroit, to the 90s in Cincinnati, Atlanta and Washington, and a horrifically high 101 in Kansas City.

2. willedav said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:55 am

I think wisc posted he went to A’s game yesterday…and I gotta admit I would pay just to watch Hamilton hit. He is the anti-Belt, free swinger who thinks he can whack just about anything and is willing to die trying. Tuesday he hit a down and away breaking ball over the 362 sign in left center, at night in the Mausoleum for a homer. Next time up with bases loaded he swings at first pitch and hammers it to deep right for a sac fly that wasn’t airborne for longer than about two seconds. He is not gonna get cheated with a bat in his hands.

3. Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:00 am

no stories, just a *knowing dude head nod* of approval, Chi– ’87 was my favorite team, too. The July 5th trade for Mitchell, Dravecky and Lefferts sealed the deal for me. Here’s the box score for Mitch’s first game with us. It only brought our record to .500 but you just KNEW that Summer was going to be special…..
    The next day, Dravecky took the ball in Pittsburgh and gave us another *W*……
    Great year, I remember those guys like it was yesterday……

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:27 am

That is an awesome box score to check out. A win by committee…Krukow got his ass handed to him, but the bullpen nailed it down long enough for Mitchell and crew to do their thing, Yeah, that was a magical year.

• willedav said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

definitely. andre awesome hitting his 21st in half the year, will clark CS for the 8th time (in july wtf), rafael “i never”, and paul noce a local guy from peninsula in a brief stay with cubs at 2b, another DP by giants IF (tho not with uribe), mike “enough” aldrete….

4. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:08 am

Blanco RF, Crawford SS, Cabrera LF, Posey C, Sandoval 3B, Pagan CF, Belt 1B, Burriss 2B, (Bumgarner P)

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

Wow….MudBug in the 2 hole, and Burriss gets a start. Hudson has been hard on the Giants…should be a good game. A sweep would be so damned sweet!

5. Bozo said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:26 am

The team that won it all is very hard to beat. All the World Series teams were very special as were the Humm Baby teams. But for me, it’ll always be 93.
    At the end of the 92 season I stood with tears coming down my cheeks and gave a standing O with the rest of the Giants fans at the Stick. Our team had been sold to some carpetbaggers from Florida. Opening day of 1993 would be played in St. Pete or some such place. The winter saw me fretting over getting OD tickets in Florida that would only put bucks into the pockets of the fucks that had stolen my team, OUR team.

But wait, some rich local dudes stepped forward and saved the team, a save greater than Beck, Nen or Wilson could provide ever. They decided on a player’s manager named Dusty a hitting/First base coach in Bobby Bonds and what the hell, his son Barry to boot. You still had What’s that Man wearing, Weeell Clark, Robby and Matt but now you also had Bonds. A pitching staff with two 20 game winners (did Swifty Bill ever pitch in a game going longer than 2 hours?) and Mr Beck closing them out. DLew, Willie McGee and Royce Clayton (my favorite Giant SS) rounded out the starters. Many role players in the field and on the mound helped win and that’s what this team did, they won. Opening Day was akin to the Opener in 2011 in my books. Watching Bonds everyday was awesome. Many great games were played but my favorite game that year was in Atlanta. I was there for work but my buddy had/has great seats so we went. The Braves took 2 out of 3 (as I recall) but the game we won was a summary of the 93 season. So many guys have to come through to win 103 games, that night it was little John Patterson with his BA bellow the Mendoza line, he hit his only HR that year to win it.

The year 103 wins wasn’t enough was the greatest year of all to me, the Giants caps still read SF.

• gianthead said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

Bozo, I was there for that last game in ’92 as well…I clearly remember the Patetrson home as I just moved to DC and we blew that huge lead by being swept at home by the Braves and then we lsot the first two games in Atlanta and were on our way of being swept in Atlanta until Little John stepped up!!!

• eddacker said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

nice story my man-clown. that was some tough shit to swallow. The Florida Giants, no no no no no . . .
      The early 90’s teams and games at the stick were special to me because I was taking my 3 young lads to games and teaching them to be Gmen. (well 2 out of 3 as it turns out)
      I felt so comfortable with my team in those years, great times.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:29 am

Despite or maybe because of the let down in the end I always liked the ’93 team

7. DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:35 am

Favorite team and favorite year are 2 different things…
    Favorite year for everyone has to be 2010.
    Favorite team I couldn’t possibly answer – loved most of ’em.

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:36 am

I agree Loo…favorite year, hands-down has to be 2010. All those years of wishing and wanting…and finally!

8. chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:35 am

That is a kick ass one Bozo. Fuck…I remember that year well. My ex and I were in the City visiting her best friend and her husband (from Minnesota). We were staying at the Cathedral Hill hotel, and I was in the bar waiting for the girls to come down. There was a news break, and it was announced that OUR Giants were being sold. There were a few locals in the bar, and not a dry eye in the place. My wife came down and saw me crying and asked what the hell was going on…it felt like someone had put an arrow through my heart.

And then Magowan and crew saved the day. Peter had his faults, but I will always appreciate what he did to save our team.

And I recall watching the news one evening when they announced the team had just signed Barry to a 7 year contract. I called by bud Mike (Demp28) and he thought I was fucking with him. Do you remember that initially Bonds reported that he would wear his God Father’s number 24. That shit didn’t last long.

Good stuff!

• Bozo said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:42 am

Taking his dad’s number 25 ended up being the right call. When they retire that number it’ll read Bonds and I’m sure Bobby would have gotten a kick out of that.

9. willedav said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:56 am

I put something up about casilla and closers in general end of last thread, so I’ll revisit it briefly. Half the teams in the NL have had serious closer issues, with guys who started the season there being replaced. Last night alone there were 5 blown saves, including one that hurt us by papelbon, who signed the big deal with Philly after being allowed to look elsewhere by boston. Jansen has blown his last two, the mets and cards have been searching all year, brewers have k-fraud back in tho supposedly he is on the trading block, marmol is still in there for the cubs, the marlins soap opera around bell….This stuff happens to everyone not named Mo.
    I’m a casilla apologist. He has great stuff and can miss bats with regularity with a great fastball and killer breaking stuff, when his location is right. Mac is an all star who just got one over the wall for opp field HR last night–not a great pitch but a quality AB. The other one he blew centered around hector and a couple bad plays. I just don’t see anyone taking casilla’s place (sabes already said romo can’t physically do it) least of all brad penny. The giants overall depth in the pen allows them to use multiple guys to get through late innings, and I think they have more quality than anyone else…casilla included.

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:44 am

I agree, Willie – I am not panicking over this.

10. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:08 am

2009 planted the seeds for 2010, who couldn’t be excited with their first year in contention in so long? But still- the first championship ever? 2010 is THE year. If many of the stars only burned brightly for that one magical year- it’s all the sweeter and confirms just how special the misfits were. I hope I’m alive for the first reunion, as I said before, these men will be heroes for the rest of their lives and beyond.

11. Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:09 am

Just caught Thr BB Show– man, for a guy who just won his last game by 5 runs he wasn’t in a very good mood. He was particularly critical of Casilla who he stopped just short of calling *stupid*.
    I’m still in Casilla’s corner because he’s done Thr job for most of thr year and his stuff is outstanding. Plus, he’s not getting beat due to walks/wildness, I just think he needs better pitch selections. If I’m Bochy, I tell him “you’re still our closer but you throw what thr catcher tells you to throw–no shake offs”.
    Sounds like he’s already lost Thr job though

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:12 am

Sorry about all the “thr’s”– posting from my phone and I don’t spell check as often as I should

• eddacker said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:14 am

Yeah, I would not be wanting to ask BB for any favours just now. He looks like a manager with a burr under his blanket. Pablo’s bunt attempt being one of them. Belt, Casillia, Pagan and who knows who else is keeping him angry.

12. Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

I’m taking a couple of weeks off work and am starting with a few poker tourneys down at Bay 101– all these guys are the same. No jobs, playing poker everyday and blathering on about “bad beats/aces cracked” blah blah blah.

• eddacker said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

I have a friend in the east bay has been playing for fun for several years now. His home away from home is a club in Emeryville, (I should go look up the name) He swears by it. I love his long discourses about the hidden beauty of the game.

13. gianthead said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

’89 Giants for me because they got over the hump for the first time in my life by winning the pennant…being at the Pennant Winning game agaisnt the Cubs made it all the sweeter, that Will the Thrill at bat to take the lead with Mitchell off Mitch Williams on deck is maybe my all-time favorite live moment being at a Giants game (watching Randy Johnson’s 300th win might be #2). afterward you had that great story of Mitchellsaying to Thrill, “we’ve got work to do” as they were watching Williams warm up and Will’s response: “It’s done!”

I also saw one game at the Stick in September against the Dodgers where if I recall Giants were losing something like 8-2 going into the Bottom of the 9th and the Giants scored 7 runs to win without committing an out…at elast that is how I remember it:)

Flashback to 2010 seeing El Presidente in the dugout last night!!

14. Unca Chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:23 am

2010 is the obvious choice but, leaving that aside, my favorite, for the improbability of it all, was the 1978 team. The Giants were mired in mediocrity for most of the 70s as stars like Mays, Marichal, Perry, Bonds, McCormick, Deitz etc either retired or were traded away. Young soon-to-be stars like George Foster, Gary Maddox and Gary Matthews were traded away for songs, and the team sported guys like Dennis Littlejohn, Johnnie (Boo)LeMaster, Roger (bandsaw) Metzger, and the infamous John Tamargo. The Giants signed a thought-to-be-washed-up Vida Blue to shore up a solid vet pitching staff of Bob Knepper, the Count, Ed Halicki, and Big Jim Barr. The pen was led by God Squadder Gary Lavelle and Billie Jean King’s brother Randy Moffitt. What the Giants did have was a young Jack Clark, who tore up the league that year, as well as Darrell Evans, the lefty masher supreme, and one of the first ‘next-Willie-Mays’-es in Larry Herndon. Shit, they even had once and future batting champ and all star Bill Madlock.

One definite highlight in ’78 was an early season Giants Dodger game that was the wake up call for erstwhile hero/goat/headcase and knife wielder Mike Ivie. With the Giants and Dodgers fighting it out for 1st place in late May, Ivie came up as a pinch hitter (for Johnnie Disaster?) with the bases juiced and the Dogs up 3-0. He jacked it for a grand slam, and the place went crazy. Since this was a Dodger game, the place was packed to the gills. The Giants ended up winning that game, and it propelled them to a 2 month run in 1st place. Sadly, the G-men faded sdown the stretch and were passed by the Dogs and the Reds to finish in 3rd place. The Stick that year was a great place to be, as they actually drew decent crowds most of the time and there was a definite buzz around the team that year. After that epic season and the fade, the Giants slid back down into the depths of the NL West.

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

Til another surprising season in 1982.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:23 am

There is a lot of chatter out there about Cabrera “showing up” the braves with his actions in the ATL this week. For a guy that has been pretty much all business with some shy smiles here and there I’ll admit he’s been pretty animated the last couple of days. With their tomohawk chop and general douchebagery Braves fans can suck it as far as I am concerned. I lived in Atlanta for a time and I can imagine he’s getting an earful in the field and at the plate and it’s not the friendly fan banter type of digs.

• gianthead said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

F the Braves and their fans..they suck! Keep it up Melky…

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

I agree, Dirt! Fuck ‘Em – Fuck ‘Em HARD.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm

LQTM

16. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:27 am

Hell of a catch by Pagan there.

17. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:27 am

Yes, there IS a game going on now . . .

18. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:29 am

Wow. You never see that pitch called a strike.

19. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

Burris with the ribbie . . . Belt gets a hit

20. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

Some may think Belt made a mistake- not. Going for third forced the decision to cut the throw off, that might have nailed Pabo

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:37 am

Hard to say where Pablo was when the throw was cut off. But yeah, I’m OK with Belt going for it.

21. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand tie game. Freeman with the tater.

22. zumie said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:54 am

I want to apologize to the Flap. There was no reason for me to be that grumpy last night after a win like that. The team showed a lot of gutsiness in battling through stuff and getting that win.
    —–
    2010 is the top season and a much beloved team to be treasured on into the future; but there are two other Giants teams that will forever have a special place in my heart, also. The ’93 team for keeping me company when I was alone in a new city with a new job. I so looked forward to each game when I got home from work in my barely furnished apartment. The Braves picked up McGriff from the Pads and that made the difference for them, but the Giants that season were magical on a daily basis. The other team that has a special memory for me is the ’71 team. My first Giants team as a fan, they went to the playoffs, and they were just so legendary overall, although some reaching the later stages of their storied careers. I also learned to keep score, and scored many of the games on binder paper as I listened on the radio. I saw very few of the games on TV. Maybe only a couple. That starting lineup is practically sacrosanct to me:
    Bonds, rf
    Fuentes, 2b
    Mays, cf
    McCovey, 1b
    Henderson, lf (sometimes he led off, and Bonds batted 5th)
    Gallagher, 3b
    Dietz, c
    Speier, ss’
    Pitcher (Marichal and Perry the stars of the staff)
    Kingman and Lanier as solid back-ups to the position players.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:18 am

I was pretty shocked, Z. No one is ever grumpy around here.

• zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:23 am

(grin)

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

LQTM…

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:57 am

It’s all good, Zume…hope you are feeling better after getting all that off your chest. 😉

23. zumie said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:22 am

I follow the Giants closely each season, but the teams that don’t make the playoffs tend to fade from my memory fairly quickly. The ’74 Giants, ’80, ’90, ’06, etc, etc.. I can barely remember anything about them, who the players were, what kind of season they had, etc. I’m not a Giants “completist” in that sense. I don’t feel any obligation as a fan to remember those seasons that well.

24. tedspe said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:27 am

I can’t really come up with a favorite roster because each one has a different meaning as the years pass.
    I know that sounds like fucking Buddha but it’s the truth

25. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:30 am

test

• Bozo said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

You passed.

26. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:37 am

1971 was prettty cool. I saw game 1 of the playoffs that year. Perry got the win . . . Kingman fucked up the next game, and pretty much blew the series for the G-men. But that was Chris Speier’s debut and Mays, Bonds, and McCovey were in full swing . . .

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:39 am

Well, Mays was near the end of his string . . .

27. blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 10:46 am

Obviously 2010, but I also liked the 1978 team for the reasons Chuck cited. Chuck, you probably already know this about Ivie, but he went on to hit a total of 4 pinch hit home runs that year. He also is one of only five Major League Baseball players to hit two pinch-hit grand slams in the same season.

However, my favorite team has to be the 1971 Giants. Why? A couple of reasons . . . Numero uno, the Giants battled their arch rival, the Bums, throughout the season for the NL West Division lead. The Giants led by 8.5 games on September 1. Then in mid September, the unfrickingbelievable Dodgers won 8 in a row, including 5 over the Giants to narrow the gap to one game. On the final day of the season, rookie Dave Kingman homered, leading the Giants to a win over the San Diego Padres to take the division crown, allowing Juan Marichal, Willie Mays, and Willie McCovey to play in the post season for the last time together.

28. chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

Great stuff guys…digging hearing all the memories. Again, this was my motivation to throw this out as a thread.

Giants getting tons of opportunites and cannot get that clutch hit. Opportunities are running out…let’s getter done!

29. snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:20 am

Hands down 2010 is the favorite because they found the Holy Grail, and had some fun personal stories along the way.
    Next, though is 1989. Great infield strength of that team, decent pitching and an all world MVP year by Keven Mitchell. He wasn’t with the Giants long, and he seems to be a forgotten guy in the Pantheon sometimes, which is unfortunate. 47 HRs, 125 RBIs, .635 SLG, and 1.023 OPS. That’s just an amazing season. And, the key hit by Will against the Wild Thing at the Stick to propel them into the WS was one of my most favored Giants memories of all…

• Bozo said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

Mitch is by far my favorite Giant. Willie was the best I ever saw but Mitch, I don’t know, I just loved that dude. The guy still makes me smile when I think about him. I still have that 89 MVP pin of his.

30. snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:23 am

It’s official. Belt is not only in Bochy’s doghouse, he’s chained up to a tree stump down the hill. Bochy just PH Christian for Belt against a lefty. Christian? So, he flied out on the first pitch. Now Pablo is playing 1B in a one run game, late. All that after Belt made two really good defensive plays this game. Sabes might as well trade Belt, or send him down to AAA. I would think one of those has to happen now, after that kind of move…

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:27 am

Didn’t see your post, ditto.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

PH Christian? Really? So much for the whole “in it to win games” bs. Bochy’s treatment of Belt is fucking ridiculous. He probably blames him for Sanchez’s sprained knee since it happened at 1b.

31. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:26 am

Christian hits for Belt? Obviously they were saving Whitey-just trade Belt and be done with it.

32. Bozo said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:34 am

If Nate wants more playing time he should get himself a first baseman’s glove. It seems anyone who owns one will get more playing time than Belt.

33. eddacker said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:34 am

Damn, where is the clubhouse insider when you need him, to be a phly on the wall today and the next 3 days.
    Also a 9pm game on Friday and 2 day games so I can be here to make sure they got their mojo working. phuck the phillies.

34. eddacker said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

there has to be a team out there that sees Belt’s upside and has a player we need to get him??

35. snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:37 am

Well, 2 outta 3 in Hotlanta is just fine. They could have swept, if they could figure out Hudson, but they don’t seem too good at that generally. Bum has to keep the HRs down on the road, this is getting a little scary with him. Now, I want to see whether El Presidente catches Timmeh. I said yesterday that Posey would catch today on short rest, and I’ll predict now that Posey will not catch Lincecum. If I’m right, there is definitely something going on there, because I think now it’s 5, maybe 6 games in a row that Posey hasn’t caught him. I hope they send Belt down, let him get confidence back and away from Bochy. If they trade him, I believe it will be an infamous trade that will be regretted, and the final act in a horrible management job of this kid. Maybe he can find his swing in Fresno and come back for callups. As for who plays 1B, good luck…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:46 am

I’m not sold on Belt. Can’t say I ever have been.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm

You don’t to be sold on Belt to acknowledge that they don’t have better option. And Christian hits for him ? If I’m Belt I’m at my agent’s office right now saying get me the fuck out.

36. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

Fave team? 2010. Can’t separate the results from the team. Can’t help it. And not sorry about that. But I’m sort of cheating. Good question. Difficult to answer. But any team with Mays, Marichal, McCovey has to be right up there for me. 1962?

37. snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:48 am

However they get rid of Belt, they can’t be seriously thinking of bringing back Huff to play 1B. If they do, Belt will be missed…

38. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:49 am

What’s with Chippah dogging Melky? Melky’s beed catching shit from the fans all series, so he clowns around with them a little. Chippah sez “that’s why he’s not here.” Right. Chipper. You’d hate to have the reigning All Star MVP who’s hitting .354 with 9 dongs and 48 ribbies. What a fucking clown. Sorry Bozo . . .

• Bozo said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm

No prob Chuck. I think “I guess that was your accomplice in the wood ” Chipper is from a different clown family.

39. Macdog said, on July 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

Always a bummer to lose that last game of a series, but gotta remember: They took 2 of 3, and they never do that in Atlanta. Onto Philly.

OK Chi, here goes. 2010 is the obvious choice, so I’ll go with another team: 1997. I have a soft spot for that bunch after the previous two years — ’95 post-strike and still somewhat bitter, and ’96 a dreadful last-place season, and then the unpopular Williams-Kent trade in the offseason. Not much was expected of the ’97 Giants, but they got off to a good start, played about .500 in the middle and then the big finish to win the NL West. Also, I was living near Sacto, so I got to some games. Unfortunately, I had to move back east in Sept. and missed the Brian Johnson game. The playoffs were a bust, but the season as a whole was a return to big-time baseball that would continue for the next seven years.

• chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm

The Brian Johnson game is one of my all-time favorites – I brought that one up the other day. Was in upper box seats right down the 1st base line…fucking place went mad…fans did NOT want to leave the yard. You would have thought they had won the World Series. Good stuff.

40. blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Not in the SF area, nor have I seen all the games, so it’s hard to have an opinion on Belt. However, I can read a box score and see the stats, so I am not sold on him either (along with Pawlie).

41. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Belt appears to be playing scared. Well, maybe not scared, but afraid to not get a hit. He’s very tentative at the plate. As if one bad AB and he rides the pine for a week. He’s done this before, and has usually gotten through it.

What they should do is just pencil him in there for a couple weeks straight, assure him that he’s not going to get jerked around, and let him play. If he doesn’t hit, well, then we got Huff . . . I mean, it’s not like he’s blocking anyone else worth a fuck. Whitey? Please. No more double switches with Hector out. What, are they going to call up Pill?

Play him or trade for someone. Bochy is doing a great job, but they are really fucking Belt up.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Good points Chuck, especially the reminder about “. . . he’s blocking anyone else worth a fuck. Whitey? Please. No more double switches with Hector out. What, are they going to call up Pill?”

Play him or trade him, because as Chuck pointed out, no one else is available “worth a fuck.”

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

messed up on copy/paste of your quote, “it’s not like he’s blocking anyone else worth a fuck.”

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

The points about who’s better have been made before. Many times. Unless they go outside the system every option to Belt isn’t just worse- it’s far worse.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Belt had a knock earlier in the game today. He bats better against lefties, Bochy knows that, yet Bochy pulls him against a lefty then with a guy in scoring position. And for Christian. That is a total, cold slap in the face diss and vote of zero confidence. Why shouldn’t Belt be fucked up? It would be surprising if he weren’t fucked up the way they’ve jacked him around. If they trade him now, they won’t get shit for him, and to think a year or so ago he was the top prospect in the system. An amazingly horrendous management job of this kid’s early career. I still suspect Bochy has a particular grievance or dislike against this kid for some reason(s), and I’d like to know what it is. Belt was a green, unsophisticated country kid that got hot in the minors and they overestimated how fast he had progressed, and just fucked around with his mind for a year+. Bochy obviously thinks he’s dogmeat, same as Nate. So, I agree with Oracle, Belt’s agent should go to Sabean and just demand to get Belt the hell outta here. Maybe it’s been done already…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Belt is fucking himself up. As Twin has often said, he has had many chances, as has Nate. (Unsettling story on Nate. Seems lost. And I’m in the Nate cult.)

42. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I am not totally sold on Belt either but as said above what better choice is there? Belt has a pretty nice upside that seems to fit the Sabean 1b mold pretty well of a plus defense, decent to plus hitting first basemam. The lack of PT and yanking in and out of the line up is almost to prove a point. To the FO maybe because he didn’t want to break camp with him? Who knows? Belt may or may not put it together and be able to fill the void at 1b but Bochy’s psy ops approach to his development is perplexing. At this point sending him down may be the best thing to get his swing going in time for a September call up. Trading him wouldn’t make sense with salaries for the PS escalatiing and the rainy day fund and all the Giants need as many controllable costs as they can get.

43. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

This “hole” bullshit took on a life of it’s own and I have zero doubt it fucks with his head. You wanna know who has a hole- everybody. If they have any hope at all for him they get the Bammer and anybody else with ideas on his swing- to go away.

44. blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Per CSN Bay Area, Belt is “a little lost right now” at the plate, according to Bochy. “It’s timing and confidence again. I say this so many times: They’ll have their ups and downs, young players, and they have to learn to deal with it,” he added.

Ok, this is what I see – Brandon had just two base hits in his last 24 at-bats entering Wednesday’s game at Atlanta. He’s down to .246 with four homers and 31 RBI on the year over 199 at-bats. Until Belt figures it out, he is WORSE THAN ALL OF THESE GUYS, PER CURRENT FANTASY LEAGUE STANDINGS:

1 Miguel Cabrera DET 21 Paul Goldschmidt ARI
    16 Justin Morneau MIN 36 Casey Kotchman CLE
    17 Adam Dunn CHW 37 Kendrys Morales LAA
    18 Carlos Lee MIA 38 Mark Reynolds BAL
    19 Michael Young TEX 39 Anthony Rizzo CHC
    20 Freddie Freeman ATL 40 Ike Davis NYM

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm

well, none of those guys are options to replace Belt.
      I won’t throw a shit-fit if Huff comes up and shares some starts with him. If one of them start hitting before the break then Sabean can just focus on finding a closer since I think the bullpen by committee thing isn’t going to work.
      My bet on who they acquire: J-Broxton with a back up plan of Brett Myers…..

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

They’d have to pay Myers pro rata on $11M for the rest of 2012, and as I read Cot’s, his 2013 club option vests automatically with number of 2012 games finished. Don’t know where that is, but the 2013 is at $10M, and it’s not something the club can just decide to take the buyout in the offseason (which is a healthy $3M, BTW). So, Myers would cost at least something around $6+ million for two months work + playoffs, assuming a buyout could happen. If that’s right, that seems too rich for an older closer, even for Sabes…

• I moved this post-twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

*I moved this post- urging Steve to get a grip.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm

He’s worse than Miggy? Gonazales? Ortiz? The horror! The horror!
      Here are the guys HERE, in our system, who would effectively replace him:( If Posey plays first, BTW, it’s whoever catches who replaces Belt offensively, if Panda plays first, it’s Arias who replaces him) So- who’s your guy,Steve?
      Whiteside
      Arias
      Huff
      Pill
      Linden

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I already said who my guy is . . . The current guy, Belt, until they get rid of his ass. By the by, Belt’s sucktitude is such that he doesn’t even approach the top 40 1st baseman in MLB. Do you know how many more 1st baseman there are in the MLB 1st base pool? Approximately 150 total that MLB can realistically draw from (some go back and forth between MLB and the minors).

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm

And he is still 4th among NL 1st baseman in OBP, and tied for 9th-middle of the pack- in wRC+, the barometer for run production as per Fangraphs and BF. So while he’s slumped he is still an average run producer at his position- and most importantly- by far the best we have.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm

You always have distorted numbers, pal.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Hey Mike . . . Read my lips, FUCK YOU PAL.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm

By run production he has been better than
        Gonzales, Morneau,Youklis, Morrison, Pena, McGehee,Napoli,Lind, Chris Davis, Reynolds, Helton, more..
        By OBP he’s 8th in MLB
        ( 190 PA)

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Steve, try to be civil.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm

His OBP is primarily due to his ability to take a walk (37). Fantastic. We just need more bases loaded situation, so he can “walk” an RBI home. By the way, go find someone else to harass, i.e., end of discussion on my part “pal.”

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

45. Bozo said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Like I said at the start of the year, what they do with Belt hinges on their plans for Posey next year. If Posey isn’t going to catch I’d prefer him at second over first. The start of the year would have seemed like a good time to trade him if that was the plan but maybe he’s the only chip they have now. Belt for Han Ram?

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Bozo, “Han Ram” as in Hanley Ramirez? If so, you’re joking, right? Ramirez’s career numbers are down, but Miami would laugh at us proposing such a trade:

Ramirez: hits – 86/345, runs – 49. HR – 14, RBI – 47, SB -13, BA -.249

• Bozo said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

OK, I’ll throw in Crawford.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Posey will never play 2nd. He’s not quick enough, certainly not now with the ankle thing. He’s not Biggio. Plus, they’d be scared shitless he’d somehow re-injure the ankle at second…

46. chipower9 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I agree with you all on a couple of points. They absolutely DO NOT have anyone better either on the team or in their system. They have fucked around with Belt like there is no tomorrow. So, until they have a better option, I think they should tell him to quit worrying about being replaced and pencil his ass in for almost every day (he’ll get the usual day off like any other starter). If they aren’t going to do this, then trade his ass.

And on Chuck’s comment, I am not convinced that sending him down to Fresneck is going to help him much at all.

Excellent stuff on the favorite team/year. A LOT of really good points on the 2010 squad. I mean really, how can you argue with winning the World Series. And the way they did it (winning the last game of the season with Sanchez to punch their ticket to the dance), and who they did it with…well, it was just magic. That said, I suppose I have to backtrack and say that 2010 is my all-time favorite, but that ’87 squad will always have a special place in my heart.

Nice to get the series win in Hotlanta. Hoping they can do the same in Philly. Tim vs Worley, Cain vs Hamels, and Zits vs Blanton. On paper some interesting match-ups. Time to kick some Philly Ass!

47. demp28 said, on July 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Hey my brother ChiP. Good post today. Well, as the majority has spoken, 2010 is the year. Our boys, or I should say, our band of misfits and castoffs finally won the Holy Grail. Favorite year? Tough one. I have a 1 and a 1A. 1 would be any Giants team finishing ahead of the Bums. 1A would be the ’97 team. Coming off a 94 loss season, going from worst to first, the Brian Johnson walk off that we attended, Bonds standing on top of the dugout doing fist pumps with the fans when they clinched. Honorable mention goes to the 2002 team.

48. snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I saw some of the replays on mlb.com about Melky’s supposed “antics” with disapproving voice over by the Braves bcasters, and I didn’t see much there at all. Braves were overreacting, methinks, based on some bad blood already being in the mix before Melky even got to the stadium for this series. Much ado about nada. Who cares about Atlanta anyway? Their own fans don’t sellout PO games. I was bored with them years ago when they were on the Super Station constantly and although were always good, they only could pull off one WS title. The Buffalo Bills of the NL…

• ewisco said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm

melky caught the third out of an inning and turned around toward the crowd and faked throwing it to them. kept the ball and headed to the dugout. i’m sure there were words out there in left.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm

No doubt, so he gave them a little tease back. No big deal. Hudson made some stupid comments after the game that seemed gratuitous. Sometimes baseball is kinda like women talking shit to or about each other for no reason other than they can. Then, in baseball, they hit one guy and everybody gets a warning, like the teacher to kids in the sandbox. Kinda dumb, if you ask me. At least in football, there’s usually a reason to talk trash — like a guy leg whipped you. And, you can do something about it during the game without going public after to talk tough about it…

• demp28 said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Anybody see what Cody Ross did last night? 3 for 5, 2HR’s, 6 RBI. There’s our fourth OF’er. Oops, wait a minute…

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Well, he’s got OPS of .902 and 15 HRs and 47 RBIs, all in only 62 games. But, temper that with playing in a much better lineup surrounding him, and how much of that is helped by that short wall in left at Fenway? He doesn’t have those stats at ATT. The Giants didn’t want to pay him too much, so that’s baseball. I can’t fault Sabes for not bringing Cody back. Last season he didn’t exactly bat lights out, but still a good dude…

49. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Back to facts- while we all know Belt has been in a funk, we also know he’s their best- add in defense and he’s by miles their best. His slump has dropped from 4th among NL first basemen in run production- which takes into account OBP, OPS, etc. He’s now tied for ninth. Not good- just average among his peers. If they do get a first baseman, who could they realistically get? Someone who is BETTER, I mean ?

50. blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:25 pm

“No one was harassing you- you are being belligerent, Steve. Read the code of conduct.Many others share my opinion of Belt. And none of us have harassed you. Try to get a grip.”

Mike, you are so insulting that you’re oblivious or socially unconscious with regard to what you say. I suppose you think you are clever using “none of us” or “many others,” whereby you give the illusion that you are not alone. You are alone . . . No one here receives as many complaints as you do. That’s a fact. Oh, one other thing – don’t ever call me “pal” again. You use it to browbeat and demean a person and I don’t like it . . . sort of like you wanting to be called, Mike, Michael, Twinfan or Mr. Scott (yes, that is your standard retort when someone calls you a demeaning name like “PAL”). Thanks for listening.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Steve- You were belligerent, you were insulting, you were foul -not me.

51. snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Today’s loss exemplified the main problems of the so-far season. SF is in the game, even outhits opponent, but lack of hits with RISP is a killer. Plus, no HRs vs. 2 for the oppo, where one would have put them back to tie, maybe win the game. And, sloppy D, the Pablo error led to a run that was the difference. Sabes definitely has to get another stick or two in here…

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Uh, they did win the series on the road against a hot contender and scored 20 runs

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Yes, I said earlier that the series win was fine. I just pointed out that today’s loss was clearly a winnable game, and issues I see in today’s loss exemplified the season’s issues for the squad that Sabes should address, particularly with some bats…

• demp28 said, on July 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Bochy may want to start playing Pablo at first for the time being and Arias at the hot corner.

52. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Now the rest of us were discussing baseball- and Belt- I am certainly not alone-only you chose to go with personal attacks again.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm

That was for Blade, obviously

• ewisco said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm

can we let this go or am i going to have to stop the car? This applies to both of you. Thanks.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm

How many more miles? 🙂

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I’m not doing shit, just trying to discuss baseball..

Team run production, regulars:
        1.Cabrera
        2.Posey
        3.Sandoval
        4. Tie Blanco and Belt
        6. Pagan
        7. Theriot
        8. Crawford

53. tedspe said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Wow. There are some UNBELEIVEBALE perks when you’re famous. No matter the reason.
    Pete Rose. The only good thing you can say about the guy is “He sure was a heckuva ballplayer”
    He’s obnoxious, ugly, dishonorable, annoying, out of shape and it seems his main source of income is autograph shows. So I see he’s going to be in a new reality series about his planning his upcoming wedding with his fiancé Kiana Kim. So I thought “what the hell” and I Googled Kiana Kim
    HOLY SHIT!!!!
    Like I said. There are some UNBELEIVEBALE perks when you’re famous. No matter the reason.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 3:50 pm

IF they get married, I’d give it 6 months. Getting married to push a reality show is not a great reason for marriage, as I think has been proved recently. Pete Rose is a money grubbing dirtbag, not to mention an admitted liar. He should never, never get into the HOF because of the betting. His general dirtbagginess is just a cherry on top of that…

• tedspe said, on July 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I agree. On the other hand if I had a chance to marry her even *knowing* there was a 6 month cutoff I’d go for it.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

6 hours and I might go for it; I’d make sure I didn’t sign the marriage license…

54. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm

The Braves had won seven straight heading into the matchup and the Giants shut them down for the series win. After the Giants crapped all over themselves back east prior to the AS game I view taking this series as pretty sweet.

• zumie said, on July 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm

It’s that thing when the loss comes in the last game of the series it seems worse than if it was in one of the earlier games. One of the great laws of the baseball universe. (grin)

• DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Stop grinning, dammit!

55. DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

At 3:30 AM last night, I figured out the meaning of “demp28″…

56. zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I heard one of the MLB network pundits say, last week, that the Dodgers had the edge over the Giants in the schedule. But this past week that edge evaporated. The Giants now have slightly more homegames left than the Dodgers, and the Giants have more games left against under .500 teams.

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Starting next Monday, SF has 36 homes games vs. LA with 32 at home. The last three games for each are at the Latrine starting Oct 1…

57. Wilcojoe said, on July 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Does anyone have the contract details for Hamram? If under club control for at least two years, would anyone give up Belt and Brown?

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Miami owes Hanley Ramirez — 2012: $15M; 2013: $15.5M; 2014: $16M
      No report of any kind of a trade restriction in the contract. All per Cot’s…

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm

No idea what his contract details are Joe . . . However, if the scenario you described was reality – I would help Belt and Brown pack their bags. Unfortunately, IMO, I think that Miami would be very resistant to that proposal.

• Wilcojoe said, on July 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Not sure if the fish have any 1b prospects waiting in the wings, but the fact that Carlos Lee is their current 1st bagger, leads me to belive Belt could be a fit.

58. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm

All this talk of Posey going to 1st is a red herring. A non-issue. Bullshit.Yeah, the Giants are loaded at C in the minors. That doesn’t mean they’ll move their all star catcher to 1st base. As a 1st baseman, Buster’s middle-of-the-road offensively, and a liability defensively. As a catcher, he’s an all star offensively and defensively. Me and a million other people have said this but everyone seems to think that they can just plug in Posey at 1st and things will be rosey. It ain’t gonna happen. At least not for 8 years (or until the NL institutes the DH in 5 years).

If anything, they’ll use the minor catchers as trade bait. I just get tired of hearing that they will move Posey to 1st base when it really isn’t in the immediate future.

• Nipper said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Chuck sounds off!…… BLEEP!

59. Salty said, on July 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Another slant from Baggs on the Christian for Belt move;

“Well, even though Belt has been more productive against left-handed pitching, Braves southpaw Eric O’Flaherty has been virtually unhittable against left-handers. Entering the game, O’Flaherty held them to a .093 average (4-for-43). Right-handed hitters were batting .354 (28-for-79) with three home runs. And Christian hit the ball on the button three times the previous night. So the move certainly was defensible, even if it didn’t work out.

60. DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Much cooler weather on the east coast for the next few days which should be good for our team.
    Blade doesn’t give extended forecasts.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Loo, even though I am a psuedo meteorologist, I don’t study meteors either. Sorry. 🙂

61. DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I’m not sure I’d survive a Yankee-Giant World Series…

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I think we’d risk it…

• DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm

That hurt.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Tell me about it. Maybe I’d DVR it.

62. zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm

The Orioles had those four 20-game winners in 1971, and the Pirates used SIX different starting pitchers in the ’71 Series to defeat the Orioles.

• zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Clemente was able to get that second Championship, sort of bookend championships in his career, that eluded Mays and Aaron.

63. Berger said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Nate wants a trade. I don’t blame him. The Giants don’t trust him. Send him to a team where he can play.

• zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Nate shouldn’t want to be on any team that would have him as a starter.

• DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Groucho Schierholz?

• Alleykat said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:56 pm

How about Japan…”Sushi” Scheirholtz kinda has a nice ring to it.

64. DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I don’t know if there was ever a guy in any sport that had perfect bookend championships (first & last years) but I can think of someone who came awful close (second & second to last years).

65. unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Nate’s the least of the Giants problems. If he could ever sustain a batting average, he’d be usable.

They need to fish or cut bait with Belt.

• DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Maybe they should cut or trade Belt to the fish…

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Their main need is for either Zits or Lincecum to finish the season well. Just as they’ve hung with Crawford, they should continue to do so with Belt. A couple of bench players would be nice-pinch hitting they’re batting .170.

• Nipper said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Twin is right again. Stick with Belt.

• Alleykat said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Maybe Bochy just goes back to his hotel room and makes some stiff Belts not to even think of Brandon.

66. Wilcojoe said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I thought i had seen some pretty bad infomercials until I saw the tortilla mold…Really? I would pay money to meet the people who actually purchase those.

• Berger said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I bought a tortilla mold. How much will you pay me? I bought some tortillas, didn’t use them all and they molded. Does that count as a tortilla mold?

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm

The Tuna Squeezer is my all-time fave
      tuna

67. Berger said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:19 pm

They should play Pill. But then I’m biased, I batted against his father in Pony-Colt league. Brett took the time to talk to me about the old field at a Triple A game. His dad was the hardest thrower in our league.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I’d rather see him than Huff get another shot pinch hitting.

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Worse and worser? Neither suits me fine. Shit, Will the thrill looks like he’s in good enough shape.

So does Bonds. His knees should be fine by now…

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Didn’t say either was ideal- but if we’re looking within the organization., who’s your pinch hitter in the ninth, down one, nobody on, two out? Not on the team now..

• Berger said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Huff needs to be Rowanized!

68. Berger said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm

My favorite team is the 2010 team because they won it all. But I did love the ’71 team with Mays, McCovey, Bonds, Speier, Henderson and Fuentes. Also, Perry, Marichal, Barr, Bryant and Stone. And don’t forget Dave Kingman and the Kingman pop-up! I was living in LA and listening to a Dodger game. It was the last game of the year and the Giants were ahead of the Dodgers by one game. Scully was giving frequent updates of the Giants-Padres game. The Giants won before the Dodger game was over. Scully announced the final score and was I ever happy. My brother was pissed. He was a Dodger fan.

69. Alleykat said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Right now we need to strengthed the team not weaken it with the additions of Whitey.and soon to be Huff.For the life of me i just don’t get their thinking keeping has beens like Whitey,Huff.Burriss,Nate on their 40 man roster.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm

The replacements on the 25 would be Jackson Wlliams, Pill or Linden, Noonan, and Kieschnick ( when healthy). Wouldn’t bother me, even Linden. Can you make it happen, Kat?

70. zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Loo, who had the near bookend championships? Don’t leave us hanging.
    And, oh yeah……(GRIN)

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Yeah, I have been waiting breathlessly along with zumiee.

71. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Rick Ankiel DFA’ed by the Nats. Would you take him? Hell, he could pitch in a pinch. (Scratch that.)

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:09 pm

His *swing and misses* are spectacular. More than a foot is involved. I’d take him just for that type of entertainment alone……

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm

speaking of which, I love Kuiper’s trademark “swiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and a miss.”

72. DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Big hint: He was a 2010 Giant…

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I didn’t know you were actually *fishing* for this answer.
      I knew it was Renteria immediately.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Ahh . . . yep, I think you are right.

• zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Man, I can’t believe I missed that, especially since my wife and I were talking about the Bartman game today, and the two Marlin titles, and how Renteria was one of two guys who had two World Series-winning hits. (I’m thinking the other was Yogi Berra, but i could be wrong on that.)

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I thought of Rent right away, but I mistakenly thought it was supposed to be real bookends. Oh well.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Bengie?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I think I’d like having bookend experiences of a carnal nature, but my imagination exceeds my reach hahahahahahahahahaha.

73. James said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm

“Entering the game, O’Flaherty held them to a .093 average (4-for-43). Right-handed hitters were batting .354 (28-for-79) with three home runs. And Christian hit the ball on the button three times the previous night. So the move certainly was defensible, even if it didn’t work out.”

And Christian is 2 for 17 against left handers this year, for a crisp .118 BA. I’m heartened to see Boch was playing the numbers. Maybe, unlike Belt, Christian was “due.”

The ironies and sheer old school cretinism on display in the case of Belt — who, despite what should be a relatively unremarkable slump, given the team’s recent success, is still having a better year than Pagan, Blanco etc — are putting a completely unnecessary sour edge on this season for me. Does Bochy realize that Hector is striking out a rate just below Belt’s? Does it matter? No, it doesn’t, because Hector and others somehow quietly fail in ways that don’t betray an imputed character deficiency. It is far better to swing away like a mindless macho man than show faggoty “tentativeness” at the plate. I am with TF, Snarkk, and others, end the torture, trade Belt now.

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:28 pm

One thing I feel better about- Nate has his cult, finally us Belt lovers have a name- Henry calls us acolytes, and I’m cool with that. Here a few of us are readying for the game.
      aco

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

The acolyte on the right bears a vague resemblance to me as a Catholic seminarian circa 1966, except for the Episcopalian flag.

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Thank God mom never pushed me to be an altar boy. Every Catholic school I went to (3 over the years) had at east one arrest for sexual assault.

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

though I’d like to see him play regularly right now just because we don’t have anyone who’s any better, I am with you, TF, Snarkk, et al who want to trade him *now*
      I’m tired of hearing all the meely mouth whining about him. I’d take Huff giving us probably better at bats (though about the same production in terms of hits and runs driven in) than having to listen to the millions of bloggers who have their panties bunched to the ass-crack over Brandon Fucking Belt……

• James said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:36 pm

My whining is hardly mealy-mouthed, you motherfucker 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

lqtm . . . ditto.

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Stupid me . . . I forgot the smiley face earlier today. 🙂

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm

James– I was really talking about the ad nauseum calls I listen to at KNBR and all the posts I read at my blog and the few others I troll.
        But ask yourself this: if all this callers and bloggers (non-flap) are idiots (and we know they are) then what does that make the people who agree with them?
        I love all Flappers.
        But when you start sounding like KNBR drivel, it’s time for a gut check on the talking points you may be holding so steadfastly to…….

• James said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:59 pm

BF, I don’t listen to KNBR. I look at the numbers. And the numbers indisputably say Bochy is a fucking asinine dimwitted retard when it comes to Belt.

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:07 pm

that’s cool, then you’ve aligned yourself with all the morons who call in to the radio and who post at the Splash and the Merc–and probably other places too. It’s entirely possible that you’re all right. But right now, he’s doing LESS than nothing for the team (besides some nice defense at first). Remember, OPS doesn’t mean shit unless it leads to runs scored or runs batted in, two things he does poorly……..

• snarkk said, on July 19, 2012 at 9:35 pm

James, I think you hit the nail on the head. Belt has a good eye, and has used it since he’s been up. Despite OBP far better than Hector, who is a hit or hack guy, Giants management has treated Belt like some sort of pansy ass. Swing it! That’s the watchword. OK, well last year he swung it and hit a bunch of HRs, then they tried to fuck with his swing in the offseason as well as in ST, and now during the season on the fly. You do that shit in the minors, you don’t make major swing changes on the fly to a young player while he’s trying to figure out WTF is going on in the majors. Belt isn’t doing well, but compared to what? Pill? Huff? McCovey? Cepeda? Clark? They’re all Giants equally likely to do better than Belt right now…

74. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm

May I just say, with elegant simplicity something we ALL, EVERYONE, can agree on?
    We
    need
    a
    better
    bench.

• zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Huff will bring his .155 1 5 to the rescue. (no grin)

• twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm

He’s pickin’ it up at Fresno, Z. .167

• zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Oh man.
        I actually saw an article in a newspaper about one of his San Jose games. He got a couple of hits, but was running slowly with a brace on his knee.

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Shit, where’s Mike Sweeney? Or Mark even?

75. twinfan1 said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

A good thing: since we have no closer, he can’t be used in a non-save situation.

• unca_chuck said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Speaking of Dennis, he’s been eerily quiet lately.

• DJLoo said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Del Mar opened this week…

• blade3colorado said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:39 pm

He must be alive and kicking . . . He made 4-5 waiver moves in the Flap league this evening.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Like in a Western, with the tumbleweed blowing by, some cowboy says, “Jed, it’s quiet out there. Too quiet. it’s a good day for a hanging.”

• Berger said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:52 pm

He just called me. Del’s been flat on his back. I guess his back went out this week. He’s feeling a little better, but not much, and will be checking some blogs tonight.

• zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:36 pm

That definitely gets a (grin).

• zumiee said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:38 pm

The grin was for TF’s comment, not about Dennis being quiet.

• Flavor said, on July 19, 2012 at 8:52 pm

He’s gotten a lot better since last year and his weird Niner posts. And I totally appreciated his commitment to The Stable and the one post he’s put up so far. Everything is evolving, I don’t hold the past against anyone. If you’re ready to *bring it* I don’t really care what you brought before……