A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Peter O’Toole Announces He’s Retiring From Acting !!

Posted in Uncategorized by tedspe on July 20, 2012

Okay, get that glassy eyed, I need more coffee expression off your face. Just bear with me for a minute.

First off, yesterday’s game was a day game. Hell, here on the pacific coast breakfast game. And we all discussed it ad nauseum already. Today the Giants face the last place team in the NL East. There’s really not much to say right now so as is expected from TedSpe….a dull movie themed topic.Okay. Now back to Peter O’Toole. The man’s one of the most respected actors of the 20th-21st century. Nominated 8 times for an Academy Award. Also, a renowned and beloved raconteur.
Great story. May not be true but it should be. Perhaps apocryphal. And I only use that word because in my life there are so very few chances to use it.
Supposedly, O’Toole, at the height of his 1970’s drinking tenure, met a few friends for lunch at a restaurant in London’s Soho. As was his custom–a bottle of wine was ordered. Then another. Then several more. After the food they reconvened to various pubs throughout the afternoon. As evening rolled around, the group got the idea to go and see a play. The drunken crew stumbled into a theatre, bought tickets and took their seats. It was a good few minutes into the play that O’Toole froze, then turned to his companion and whispered “Bloody hell, I’m in this fucking play.” before dashing backstage, donning his costume and taking the stage.
I bring this all up because when he announced his retirement it dawned on me…O’Toole NEVER MADE A BASEBALL MOVIE!!!!
Wanker.
But let’s face it. With the exception of the Japanese, baseball is only *really* embraced by us ‘mericans. The only actor from across the pond I can think of immediately who actually made 2 baseball related films is Ray Milland. In RHUBARB, where he played, if memory serves, an attorney to a CAT…a fucking CAT that inherits a baseball team.
And IT HAPPENS EVERY SPRING in which he played a scientist that developed a chemical that made baseballs averse to ashwood so he became a no-hit phenomenomenom..menom.
Even some of the most revered classic American actors never appeared in a baseball movie. John Wayne? No. Henry Fonda? No. Clark Gable? No. Sonny Tufts? No.
James Stewart played Monty Stratton so props to him–Gary Cooper played The Iron Man Lou Gehrig but knew so little about baseball he looked like an idiot and was decidedly not a fan of baseball and required extensive coaching in order to look even passable on a baseball diamond. In fact, he had never played the game before, even as a youth, and had never even seen a baseball game in person until he was hired for this film. Plus, Gehrig was a southpaw, Cooper was a righty. So when they filmed the movie, they had to put Gehrig’s number backwards on his jersey and when Cooper pretended to have a hit—-HE RAN TO 3RD BASE!!!–And everything was processed in reverse in the film lab.
Ronald Reagan played Grover Cleveland Alexander in THE WINNING TEAM. In fact:
At one point during his Presidency or running for same, he started to tell a story about his own life when it was really a story from that movie–fortunately, Miss Nancy realized what was going on, grabbed his arm, slapped him upside his head, screamed “MOVE IT OLD MAN” and escorted Ronnie off the stage. Like a sad robotic Disney Hall of President.
Now, today’s actors.
Most think that Kevin Costner has a kind of monopoly on this terrain. And granted, he’s got a lot of quality in this genre–but quantity? Not really. He’s got 3 films. I won’t bring them up. I think you all know. But Charlie Sheen has 3 himself. Not just the obvious MAJOR LEAGUE film and its sequel but don’t forget—he was in EIGHT MEN OUT as well and he was pretty damn good. Dare I say—WINNING!!!—

Who else? What other American actor matches this 3 film baseball resume? Well, Robert DeNiro comes to mind. In an odd way, 3 baseball movies. 1st, his breakthrough role in BANG THE DRUM SLOWLY. Brilliant, sad and heartbreaking. 2nd, THE FAN. I think we all know this film so I won’t belabor the thoughts. But his 3rd baseball film?
Well, not really a baseball film per-se. But a film that showed his talent, proclivity and aim with a baseball bat—THE UNTOUCHABLES.Now, here’s the question–not what’s your favorite baseball movie. That’s been done before. But of all these people mentioned and all the folks I haven’t mentioned (William Bendix, Tom Selleck, Bernie Mac, Madonna, etc. etc.) which film actor looked like they not only knew how to play baseball but if they took another route they might have actually had a shot (and you might know this already but Kurt Russell *was* a pro-ballplayer. 2nd baseman, AA club for the California Angels. Was hitting .563 in 1973 but a shoulder injury forced his retirement. But him too. Has yet to make a baseball movie–Wanker)My personal choice? I reluctantly go with Charlie Sheen. Mainly because he had the guts to add HGH to his already existing tiger blood for MAJOR LEAGUE. Now *THAT’S* Stanislavsky!!!!

So in closing, God Bless Abbott and Costello.
(Who?)

1. blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:18 am

Chuck Connors is my favorite actor who had an actual baseball career (Dodgers system). Every one likes him in The Rifleman TV series, but my favorite role was the cowardly son of Burl Ives in The Big Country (which is one of my 10 ten movies of all time that very few people remember starring Charlton Heston and Gregory Peck). Great thread Ted!

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:19 am

*Top Ten (10)

2. eddacker said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:21 am

great one, par usual, mate. The Gary Cooper – Lou Gehrig info was amazingly surprising to me. Things some people never know. I did enjoy the ML movies, wild thing, hats for bats, even watched version II a month ago on cable. I enjoyed the Robert Redford one and I think Tom Selleck gets my vote. I do believe he could play. As much as I loved Abbott and Costello, I have to mention George Carlin’s Football? or Baseball?

Which Philly and Which SF team will show up tonight? I wonder if BB has gotten over his irritation. Tonight will tell.

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:27 am

Ed, I sent you a response on Facebook. I had just gotten up and was drinking my coffee when I saw it.

• demp28 said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:04 am

Thoughts and prayers go out to those in Aurora.

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

Thank you demp. Yes, a terrible tragedy.

3. blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:26 am

Actually, my favorite actor who played baseball is an exaggeration insofar as selecting Chuck Connors. I like him, but your thread was so complete, that you already mentioned my favorite – Kurt Russell, so I couldn’t mention him again. 🙂

By the way, I had no idea regarding the Lou Gehrig movie details you mentioned. Good research.

4. blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:44 am

Weatherproof games: Mariners at Rays and Astros at Diamondbacks.

The rain continues into Friday with periods of the wet stuff in New York and Philadelphia, though both cities get some relief from a recent heat wave with temperatures in the 70s. Thunderstorms are still in the forecast for Washington (86 degrees), Pittsburgh (80) and Cincinnati (86). Partly sunny skies and a high in the 75-80 range are on tap for Cleveland, Detroit and Boston. Missouri will be hot again, with temperatures in the 90s stretching from Kansas City to St. Louis. Oakland will be mostly sunny with a high of 70, while Southern California will be cloudy. Temperatures in San Diego and Los Angeles will be around 10 degrees warmer.

• Irish Kevin said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:06 am

Weatherproof games:

Concordia Station, Antarctica -81°
      Amundsen-Scott, South Pole – -62°
      And the warm spot, T-shirt weather
      Arturo Prat Station – 29°

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:14 am

Yes, I would imagine that the Arturo baseball field might be a bit slushy compared to those other solid as rock ice parks.

• Irish Kevin said, on July 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I thought you would appreciate those Blade!! ha ha, I was fooling around looking at where my family and I wanted ot go for a vacation. I was on Accuweather.com and saw Antarctica, so I clicked on it and was thinking why would anyone want to live there, much less visit. And then I thought of you and your weather proof games. And I couldn’t resist!! ha ha

5. Nipper said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:07 am

Where’s Willie D?

• willedav said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:34 am

stay thirsty my friend. And in the words a famous mexican dicho, “when you are in the saddle, ride well.”

6. Alleykat said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:07 am

Just want to give.out my deepest thoughts and Prayers.to all the families and.relatives in the tragic shooting massacre in Aurora Colorado,12 dead,just shocking what happens in the world these days.

• Irish Kevin said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

All over a movie!! The stress that people are under over their homes, jobs, and just family in general. When the 1929 crash happened you heard about the suicides but not too much about people shooting each other. These are hard times in the world.
      Be Safe Flappers.

• Irish Kevin said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:23 am

I was wrong not about the movie, he, the gunman, just happened to choose that showing to do his dirty deed!!

7. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:22 am

Great thread, Ted. And as Steve mentioned…I had no idea on the Gehrig/Cooper movie. Good stuff.

Well, I would think that of those mentioned (and the list seems pretty comprehensive) Selleck, Costner, and Sheen would most likely have the tools to possibly play.

And don’t forget Bob Uecker. 🙂

Agree with Kat…unbelievable the things that happen in the world in this day and age. Sad. I too wish comfort and peace to those involved in the Colorado shootings.

8. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:25 am

Great timing, too Ted. Caught a re-run of Bull Durham last night. Posted one of the quotes from the movie on FB last night: “I see great things in baseball. It’s our game, the American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us.” Question – who was pegged as the originator of this quote, and is it truly his quote?

9. Alleykat said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:27 am

Jonathan Sanchez back in our division,traded to the Rockies…

10. willedav said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:29 am

cbs site I often follow along gametracker or check blog comments. Philly fans seem disgusted, complaining about lack of pop, pen, etc. They are 11 games under .500 and 13 and a half behind Nats. I know it’s early, but I wonder if they are in “sell” mode and who is available. I wouldn’t think either polanco or wigginton are too expensive, and if nothing else both would shore up the bench/LU, and provide versatility.
    Good hitting C are pretty hard to find, Posey likes doing it and the staff loves him, so I don’t see him becoming a 1b in near future. But I hope Sabes doesn’t trade Belt unless he has a legit replacement who can cover that spot. And I’m not talking about aging vet stop gaps like Carlos Pena, or sliding Sandoval over there.
    I remember when the team soured on Pedro Feliz, and next thing you know we’re starting Jose Castillo at 3b.. Sabes lost Uribe and Rent, and then Sf winds up with a lame merry go round of Tejada Font OCab and deRosa because Sabes thought he had everything covered. He also knew going into last year whitey was all he had as his back up C, and we all know how that worked out.
    If you don’t like Belt, fine–but give me and the rest of us at Nimrod State U a reasonable alternative to play the spot every day.

11. Nipper said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:34 am

Two thumbs up for Spe! Good one.

12. Irish Kevin said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:34 am

As far as Ted’s thread, I have to go with Robert Redford in the Natural, and Dennis Quaid in The Rookie.

13. James said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:37 am

Didn’t bother to look up the actors, but the scene in “Ulzana’s Raid” works for me. I just assume those early players were as awkward as the uncoordinated actors who play them. There’s also the pitcher in
    “Geisha Boy”:

14. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

Had not seen that in a looong time…too damned funny, James.

15. zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 9:57 am

My favorite baseball film is “Eight Men Out,” and I think all the actors playing the ballplayers were believable in their roles, including Jon Cusak.

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

Ted, that O’Toole story is awesome.

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:26 am

Cusak is a big Cubs and White Sox fan . . . Something you don’t frequently see in Chicago and has gotten him in hot water. Zum, you are spot on about his athletic talents – Per Wiki, Cusack has trained in kickboxing for over 20 years under former world kickboxing champion Benny “The Jet” Urquidez. He began training under Urquidez in preparation for his role in Say Anything and currently holds the rank of Level 6 black belt in Urquidez’ Ukidokan Kickboxing system.

16. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

Hard to imagine two more physically inept actors to portray ballplayers than Gary Cooper and Anthony Perkins. These guys coudn’t even handle standing in the batter’s box without looking like hopeless dweebs…
    No more charming baseball flick than the original “Angels in the Outfield” with Paul Douglas..

17. Macdog said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

If he could’ve dropped a few pounds, I thought the kid who played Engelberg in “The Bad News Bears” had some potential.

18. blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

Not absolutely certain, but I seem to recall the Long Riders having a baseball scene, where the James and Younger gang played a game of baseball against the Northfield townsfolk. If I recall correctly, it was more like football than baseball, probably because all the rules weren’t set in stone, i.e., we’re talking about the mid-1870s.

• James said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:20 am

That was actually “The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid.”

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:24 am

James, who was that with? I guess I am thinking the Long Riders were with all the famous acting brothers, right?

• James said, on July 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Cliff Robertson and Robert Duvall.

19. snarkk said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:26 am

Nice thread, Ted. I don’t think anyone else has mentioned Stanislavsky here before. Unless it was about a guy selling pirogis outside a ballpark…

20. Bozo said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:53 am

I though Dennis Quaid in the Rookie looked like a ball player and of the Major League movies I thought Corbin Bernsen was convincing.

Is it true that in the Pride of the Yankees when Cooper gives the speech that the echo was a recording of Gehrig’s actual speech?

I would have loved to go drinking with Peter O’Toole back in the day.

21. zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:56 am

The end of the Clemente book is a big bummer, and not just for the obvious reason of him dying in the plane crash; but also because details of why the crash happened are so sad and infuriating. The poor guy had no idea that the plane he had leased and was going to be riding in had a big history of mechanical problems, was a total lemon, had hardly been flown at all in years, was poorly maintained, and was going to be manned by an incompetent crew. The owner of the plane was a complete cheeseball, but Clemente didn’t know that. In his hurry to get more earthquake relief supplies to Nicaragua, he didn’t do the kind of due diligence he should have on the owner of the plane. And to top it off, Clemente didn’t know the plane was overloaded with supplies by 4,000 pounds. Just a complete death-trap of a plane. The plane struggled down the runway, barely got any kind of lift-off, blew out its engines, and crashed into the ocean almost immediately, just off the coast of Puerto Rico.
    He was going with the supplies because Somoza’s army in Nicaragua had been stealing just about all of the donations that Roberto’s urgent earthquake relief organization had sent over by boat and by another much smaller plane. He believed that his popularity in all of Latin America would make sure the supplies from this much bigger plane would get to where they were needed. He wasn’t going on the flight just for the heck of it.
    The only justice in the whole story is that the owner of that plane went on the flight, too.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:01 am

I feel the same way. This is the David Maraniss bio, right?

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:10 am

Yeah, Maraniss did a real good job on this bio. It’s well worth reading.

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:16 am

Hadn’t even heard of this one, ” Chasing 3000″ is about 2 brothers who set out to witness Roberto’s 3,000th hit. Has some nice reviews. Stars Ray Liotta, available on Netflix on demand.
      clemente

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:19 am

Thanks- I hadn’t heard of this one either. I’ll put it on my NetFlix queue.

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I too have not heard of this…will have to check it out. Thanks, Michael…

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:00 am

I love Ted’s verbal excursions.

One of my favorite Peter O’Toole movies is the relatively unknown “The Stunt Man,” which also featured Barbara Hershey and Steven Railsback.

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:13 am

Railsback played one helluva Manson in Helter Skelter. I wonder if Charlie coached a girls softball team at Spahn Ranch.

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:38 am

Susan Atkins hitting clean-up? Ridiculous. You gotta go with Krenwinkel…

23. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

Costner has at least four. And he’s the worst thing in all of them. Well, hes the worst thing in the two I’ve seen and in every other film I”ve seen him in, so it’s a fair leap to say he’s the worst thing in “Chasing Dreams” and “For Love of the Game”
    Bingo Long and the Traveling All-Stars, on the other hand, is a totally delightful fim, made all the better because Costner isn’t in it..

24. snarkk said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:08 am

To me, Costner is the best in the baseball/athletic movies. He’s coordinated, believable that he’s actually an athlete. In Tin Cup, his golf swing is damn good, too. As for O’Toole, in The Lion in Winter back in the late 60s he played Henry II against Kat Hepburn. He became what I’d imagine a King was like in those days, whether they were or not. Smart, irascible, pissed off at his progeny, afraid of enemies — but smart enough to take them out first, and bawdy. Bravura performance, should have had the Oscar, but Cliff Robertson got it for Charly. Meh. How O’Toole never got a real Oscar for acting is ridiculous…

25. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:15 am

I can’t stand Bull Durham and never understood its appeal.

If I remember correctly Bugs Bunny could play all nine positions…

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:24 am

I loved Bull Durham. But, the worst thing of it was Tim Robbins was totally uncoordinated and not believable as Nuke the pitcher. Probably they had to take him as a package if they wanted Susan Sarandon. For such a big part, they should have gotten some actor who could actually go athletically through a pitching motion that was believable, but wild. Timmeh may be in the sequel…

• Salty said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

Actually they met making the film. Probably had some really good chemistry in the screen tests.

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:29 am

Baseball movies are in the eye of the beholder. I’m not a big fan of them, but I think it’s cool that so many are so beloved. I liked the Gary Cooper movie about Lou Gehrig. I haven’t seen it in a long time, and I’m not sure how well it holds up, but I thought it did a nice job of telling its story. And recently, seeing Fever Pitch was a kick. It captures a certain something about us hardcore fans.
      Speaking of actors playing athletes….North Dallas 40 is the best movie about the NFL in my opinion, but I’m not sure that Mac Davis is all that believable as an NFL quarterback, physically, but he captured a cockiness that works for the character. Nolte played the aging veteran at the end of his career very well. The scenes with the coaches are terrific. And the theme of the film about the moral ambivalence of pro sports is powerful. Matusak (I think) has the best line in the film. He shouts at a coach: “Every time I say it’s a game, you say it’s a business; and every time I call it a business, you call it a game!!”

• eddacker said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

You leave Bugs outta this. That’s hallowed ground!

26. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:35 am

Although it’s got its share of stiffs (Danny Aiello?) Bang The Drum Slowly has several epic moments. Love the shots of the dreary early 70’s NY stadiums. Shea was falling apart when it was less than 10 years old. The wooden outfield wall was warped and busted up in numerous places. Neither NYC or the Mets had any money or cared enough to repair it.

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:41 am

The movie was decent enough, but I remember cringing every time DeNiro had a shot of playing or throwing. I just have a tough time with sports movies where the main actors were always the last guy picked for teams in grammar school. “Alright DeNiro, I guess we have to take you”…

27. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:37 am

Costner has quite a resume- three Golden Raspberry Awards as Worst Actor of the Year- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Wyatt Earp, and The Postman…in addition to 4 nominations. One year he lost out to Tom Green in ” Freddy got Fingered”, and in another got edged out by Pauly Shore in “Jury Duty”…
    He’s a fine athlete and dancer, however 😉

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:42 am

I like him, and I never give a shit what reviewers say about movies and restaurants…

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:51 am

I think he’s great in No Way Out & JFK…

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

You do, I don’t. I don’t rely only on critics, I’ve seen many of his films. I do agree with the critics on at least one thing: Pauly Shore is worse.
        As far as restaurants, depends on the review. I’m unlikely to order something that a critic has said is the worst thing he/she ever ate in his/her life. Why take chances when there must be at a few other things to try?

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’m seeing 48 titles at IMDb . My guess? He’s 7-41, which is why the Royals took Guthrie..

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Why do you give a fuck? I can understand if you do not like an actor or for that matter a baseball player, politician, etc., but why do you have to criticize someone else for their choice? More important, why do you belabor the point with more posts? WE GET IT. YOU DO NOT LIKE KEVIN COSTNER. Move on . . .

By the by, I like Costner too.

• eddacker said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm

for me once I have seen a few of the same movies I can interpret a critic and then when I read reviews I understand what they are really saying. That way I can make a fair judgement based on reviews.

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:46 am

The Postman kind of mystified me. I had read the book, by sci/fi author David Brin, and thought it was pretty good, and when I heard that a movie was being made of it, I thought it could work as a film. And some of the camera shots in the film are very evocative and poignant. But the problem is…..the film is 2 1/2 hours long! The film wears out its welcome. Plus, the villain in the film was not particularly scary.

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

I’m not against real long movies; but every movie has a “right” length to it, and The Postman exceeded its right length by about an hour. It would have made a nice 90 minute film.

28. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 20, 2012 at 11:51 am

Sanchez to The Rockies? I bet he’s looking forward to sticking it to the Giants with a 5 inning, 9 walk, 100 pitch performance. I don’t see how he’s going to succeed in CO but wish him all the best. With the no hitter and victory in game 162 he’ll always hold a special place to Giants fans. I’m going to the CO series over the weekend of August 10. Maybe he lines up with the game I go to. It would be nice to see him get a welcome from the fans.

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Anything less than a standing ovation would be a travesty. And he, of course, was treated very well here, he has no reason for bitterness. I’m for 1-0 Giants in the ninth with Betancourt taking the loss in a non-save situation.

• Irish Kevin said, on July 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Wow, Wow,

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm

You’re right . . . I AM IN LOVE!

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm

10 Times over in love…

Nice time out, Loo…

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm

She should have her own show any day now. I would call it “America Jerks Off”.

29. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I see that they’ve decided to take down the statue of Paterno leading his players out of the tunnel at Penn State. I’m sure the bad jokes about the possible statues they will replace it with are already circulating.

• ewisco said, on July 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm

funny comic on the back of the Datebook section in the Chron. Don Asmussen does these one-panel take offs on headlines of the day. in today’s episode, The Times American reports that “Pressure grows for Paterno statue to release tax returns. Entire Mount Rushmore joins call”

30. ewisco said, on July 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm

As for Actors who could play, I’ll go with Mike Vitar (Benny the Jet) and Patrick Renna (Ham Porter) from The Sandlot. They looked the part.

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Love that movie, Eric. Classic…reminds me of my days growing up…most days we played ball dawn to dusk…

• ewisco said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I remember that we would meet at the ballfield, count heads and figure out what we were going to do. Three flys up? right field closed, invisible runners? full game? no adults. we made the rules and mostly stuck with them albeit there might have been and argument or fight or two.

31. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

No surprise.
    Blanco CF, Theriot 2B, Cabrera LF, Posey 1B, Sandoval 3B, Schierholtz RF, Crawford SS, Whiteside C, (Lincecum P)

• zumie said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

It was sadly funny the other night when Whitey got in his first game and had a passed ball that almost cost the Giants the game.

• ewisco said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm

so does this make the lincecum/posey breakup official?

32. Flavor said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I listen to a fair amount of talk radio on KNBR in the morning before 8am (I like the Kruk/Kuip shows) and then after 3pm for at least an hour of Tolbert’s show. On the weekends I catch a lot of Marty Lurie cause he’s the only one who will take those shifts, i guess. The other guy, Jim Kozimore (sp?) is fantastic, I wish he would get a regular full time slot during the week).
    Anyway, I have paid a great deal of attention to the *pro-Belt* callers (I’m not talking about the hosts, just the callers) and I would guess that up until the last few days the calls were at least 80% pro-Belt. Today I noticed that maybe half were pro-Belt and all the *sit-Belt* callers started their call by saying “I was the biggest Brandon Belt supporter there was, but….”
    So, it appears the tide is turning on our young first baseman. I’m still for playing him everyday just because the in-house solution of Panda to 1st/Arias to 3rd doesn’t interest me. I’ve gone back and forth on Huff and now feel like that would just be a waste of time. Double thumbs down to Pill getting another shot at it. And I don’t want Polanco or Hart in a trade.
    So, despite my ongoing bitching about him, I will continue to hope he starts all these games. There is NOTHING better at the ready. In fact, it’s all much, much worse………

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Well, you’ve got the worst of all today.

33. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Henry seems to think it’s a problem with Tim and Posey.

34. James said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm

North Dallas Forty? My favorite football movie of all time:

35. eddacker said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Posey calls a perfect game (Cain’s words) and Tim can’t pitch to him???
    makes no sense sayeth da eddacker

36. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

What does the Phillie blogosphere think of their young first baseman? Has the team given up on Mayberry now that Howard is back? He did have a nice season last year- and he’s RHed- I’d give up Brown for him- we get to keep Belt and one of them plays LF next year.

37. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Tim needs to pull his head outta his ass (just my opinion). If there is an issue between Buster and Tim…work that shit out. It weakens the team so much to have Buster at 1B.

• Alleykat said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:42 pm

And it really weakens the team to have Whitey catching at all.

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

If there is an issue, we don’t know what it is or who’s to blame, obviously. But whatever- it’s up to Bochy to resolve it if the boys can’t handle it themselves.

38. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

All you did was weaken a baseball team today, Timmy. That’s all you did. You put people’s pennant hopes in danger. Sweet dreams, son.

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Is there something you’ve seen that makes this Lincecum’s fault? I’m not disputing it, I just haven’t heard any definitive word on what the problem is.

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm

No sir. Just playing along with Ted’s movie theme…

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

And here I thought that Timmy got pinned under the tractor and Lassie couldn’t save him. Whew, thanks, I thought it was really bad..

• blade3colorado said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Umm, Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men. Excellent film Loo.

39. Salty said, on July 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Buster and Tim looked pretty chummy and on the same page the other day when he caught him. I don’t think there’s anything to it. Makes no sense that he would prefer Eli, who Tim was barking at last yr for not handling his errant pitches better.

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Uh, when was that? When Buster caught him “the other day”?

40. Macdog said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Catching issues aside, looks like Timmy will luck out tonight as Loo’s weather prediction has come true. It feels almost Bay Area-ish today — at least it seems like it after an oppressive week of heat that included triple digits on Wednesday. Timmy may have to put up with some rain, but otherwise, the heat will not be an excuse.

41. James said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm

My guess is that this is in large part Bochy saying a big fuck you to the ignorant masses. Notice that he cleverly put Nate in the line up to demonstrate his stern, but fair, judgment and keeping-the-bench-fresh prowess.

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm

On the other hand, Pagan is hitting .216 the last 4 weeks. At least he isn’t getting relaced offensively by a .240 minor league hitter.

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 3:04 pm

My boy Angel needs to pick it up. Casper and/or Ichiro could be on the way…

42. Nipper said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Cody Ross is having a good streak going for himself in Boston.

43. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I think the Niners should draft that hot Australian hurdler and make her a wide receiver.
    They’ve tried it before…

44. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Ted, excellent piece today. I especially enjoyed the drunken O’Toole theatre story. Reminds me of the Richard Harris tale of when he and Peter were doing a play in London during their heavy drinking days. There was a 20-25 minute gap when neither needed to be on stage, so they’d run across the street into the pub and start pounding drinks. Well one night they got so enraptured with their own storytelling during drinks that they lost track of time. The stage manager came busting into the pub yelling at the two blokes that the play had come to a standstill because their asses need to be on stage. So they ran back across the street and back into the playhouse. Harris had the first scene and came running on out only to trip on a wire or cord and went sprawling across the floor and halfway off the stage nearly onto an old woman’s lap. The old bag exclaimed, “Good god! Harris is drunk.” Richard replied, “Lady, you haven’t seen really drunk yet. Just wait till O’Toole comes out on stage…”

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Ted – complimented you on the thread as a whole, but I too really enjoyed the O’Toole story. And Del Mar…equally enjoyed your Harris/O’Toole story…the last line by Harris had me LMAO…

45. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Upton, Rollins, Polanco, Suzuki…whatever. With so many interchangable partsthe Giants could pick up a player to improve the offense at pretty much any position but 3b, LF and Catcher.

46. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 3:48 pm

There really aren’t many teams that couldn’t improve themselves offensively at several positions. Then the weeding out process begins, then what the cost would be for the alleged upgrade, next the 101 other factors that determine if and when a trade happens- and there really aren’t the “upgrades” available that were imagined. Fact is the Giants are a pretty good hitting team away from ATT- and other teams don’t hit well *here* either. The bench could use some strengthening and anotheer arm could help- but overall, the team is just fine.

• eddacker said, on July 21, 2012 at 12:55 am

preaching to the converted my man, but keep on preaching!

can I get an Amen?

47. Flavor said, on July 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Timmy still throwing 92 in the 5th which is nice but even better is his command. That pitch he threw to strike Victorino out was perfect.
    I missed him falling down, how bad was it?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 20, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Let’s just say Timmy’s no Michael Douglas. And .85 cents at that time for a Coke was outrageous.
      I woulda went off on the store owner myself.

48. Macdog said, on July 20, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Grandon Crawford!

49. Bozo said, on July 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Craw seems to be getting comfortable at the plate.

• Flavor said, on July 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Someone needs to “Nancy Kerrigan” that knee more often…

• Bozo said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Yeah, getting whacked seemed to loosen that sucker out.

50. zumie said, on July 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Phillies fans are shocked and stunned!!

51. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I took Crawford as my SS in one of my pay fantasy baseball leagues today. Call it a hunch…

• ewisco said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm

i used to have a huge crush on teri garr. i suspect i wasn’t alone. well, i hope i was alone when i was . . . what i mean is . . . never mind.

52. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm

When the kid hits them, they’re loud.

53. Berger said, on July 20, 2012 at 5:59 pm

See what happens when you play Nate! The cult be with you. You guys need to join the Nate cult!

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Apparently you missed all of Nate’s oh-fers earlier in the season.

• Berger said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Apparently you missed him carrying us in the Mets series earlier this year.

54. Berger said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Nate had a 75 pitch walk to wear the pitcher out, which allowed Crawford to get a BP pitch to hit for a Grand Salami! BTW, didn’t Nate score our first run? Go Nate! Join the cult!

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:10 pm

You and a couple guys in a cave in the Phillipines are all that’s left, Berger.
      nate

Waiting for Nate…

• Berger said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I think he is using Alley Oops club! BTW, I saw Don Robinson in the cave!

• Berger said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm

He’s waitng for the plummer to install our bidet. We already have a wet bar to serve all the stuff the Monks made for us!

55. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Good time for Nate to polish up his trade value, though…

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:16 pm

His value is set, a couple good or bad games won’t affect it at all.

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Maybe so, but I think he needed to at least prove he was still breathing…

• Berger said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Or maybe just play him more so we can win more games., What a novel idea. Or a movie? I saw Peter O’Toole in the cave too! He’s a Nate cultist!

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Yeah, if they win this, it’s all on Nate.

• Berger said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Yeah, baby!!! You are starting to understand!

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Actually, Nate can get get hot, he definitely improves the OF defense, and Pagan isn’t hitting, so I have no problem getting him some starts. Blanco can sit a couple as well. Nate might get traded but it’s useful to remember that he and Blanco could be the only returning OFers in 2013..

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:09 pm

If that’s the case, I’m taking 2013 off…

56. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Our freak is still hitting 92 on the gun. I’m starting to feel op-TIM-istic…

57. zumiee said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Bochy knows the key truth about Nate: the more you play him, the worse he gets. Play him in small doses, and that’s best for Nate.

• DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm

You’re right Zumie. Kind of like Advil. The smallest effective dose should be used. If pain persists, call your physician.

58. Berger said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Peter O’Toole just served up a Cape Cod from the cave’s wet bar. Don’ tell the monks I’m not drinking their beer or nutty stuff.

59. James said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Few have been initiated into the mysteries of Nater Magna

60. Bozo said, on July 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Blanco looked safe to me.

61. Bozo said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Good game.

62. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:02 pm

27 runs in 4 games against “not the Astros”

• eddacker said, on July 21, 2012 at 1:01 am

Isn’t 4 the magic number of games in a ws?

63. Berger said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I was just having some fun guys! Obviously I enjoyed the cave comment. Go nate. I need cocktails.

Nobody commented about us having a bidet in our cave. This is modern cave comfort!

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm

It’s always fun when it’s 7-2, ain’t it? Glad you’re back, Berger.

64. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Well, time to whack off over the hurdler again…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Best not let Fred Willard watch that Australian hurdler video in public.

• Bozo said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Fred just wanted to impress Pee Wee.

65. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm

OK, all done. Wow, Juan Uribe now 1 for 38!

66. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Baggs is on Jeopardy right NOW!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:27 pm

He just won $15,600. Go Baggs! He nailed the final Jeopardy question about the movie line from “The Artist.”

67. Nipper said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Timmy does it!

• Bozo said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm

So does Loo.

68. twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Baggs wins!

• twinfan1 said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I always get snookered on these lately. Beat Denny by a minute- nice job by Baggs. When he got the spelling of “cat” right, I know he had it.

• Alleykat said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Damm tha must be why I would do no good on jeopardy,i still spell it “Kat”.

69. Alleykat said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Shit,i can’t even spell that!

70. ewisco said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:47 pm

A very nice road victory against a team that was sort of kind of coming into it’s own (for Loo, just add the word towel, or kleenex or ?).

71. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Soph is on Wheel of Fortune!

72. DJLoo said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I nominate the Australian hurdler to immediately replace the Sun Dressed Goddess as Flap Mascot.
    How about a vote?

• Alleykat said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Got my vote Loo!!!!
      Love to go “Down Under” on her!!!

73. Alleykat said, on July 20, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Big hurdle to clear for Timmy tonight.Road win,Pitches solid against a still good hitting team,that has struggled obviously,but did get Howard and Utley back to face him.Not saying he’s back yet,but it would be like a trade deadline upgrade if he is.
    No way in hell the Dodgers could hang around with us if are pitching keeps clicking.Besides a RH bat for the bench/Start,..Could still see Sabean adding extra bullits for the pen,or even a guy who gives them a Starter option for the future.Rays said to be shopping James Shields and possibly Jeremy Helickson(like this guy alot,nasty stuff),still just some minor tweaking needed now.

• willedav said, on July 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Uh Kat, if the phillies were a good hitting team, they wouldn’t be 14 games out. Ask Cliff Lee what he thinks of their run support. rollins is at .250, victorino is worse, yada yada.
      Always great to stick it to them…again.

74. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

That was Baggs on Jeopardy? I saw the last 14 seconds of finl jeopardy and thought that guy looks just like Baggardly. Missed the game, spent all day in the car and on the beach. (Pismo)