Those pesky Dodgers….

Posted in Uncategorized by zumiee on July 22, 2012

John Nance “Cactus Jack” Garner, U.S. Vice President from 1933-1941, once famously said: “The Vice Presidency isn’t worth a warm bucket of spit.” Well, a Wild Card spot isn’t quite that bad, but it sure ain’t what it used to be. It’s all about winning the division title these days, and it looks to be a classic Giant/Dodger battle for the division crown in 2012. There are a lot of ways to compare the Giants and Dodgers at this point of the season- their strengths, and also the things that need improvement. But another way to compare them is the schedule they both have to play the rest of the way. Who does the schedule favor?

And speaking of baseball schedules (if I may digress), I dig baseball schedules in all their incarnations. Especially pocket schedules and refrigerator magnet schedules. Whenever I’m doubting the human race, I try to remember that a species that invented baseball and refrigerator magnet schedules can’t be all bad. At the beginning of the season, it all comes down to what the Jimmy Fallon character says in the movie “Fever Pitch”: “A new season is a clean slate.” And here we are now, with over half the slate now turned into boxscores. The Giants have 36 homegames left, 32 roadgames. The Dodgers have 32 homegames left, 35 roadgames. The Giants have a few more games left against under-.500 teams than the Dodgers do (although that depends on what the opponents’ records are at any given moment, of course.) So, it’s a modest advantage to the Giants regarding the schedules, except….for those last 3 games of the season being at Dodger Stadium. But, on the other hand, by a fluke of the MLB scheduling computer, L.A. has 8 games to play against the Cardinals left on the schedule, after already having played them 3 times earlier in the season; while the Giants have 3 games left with the lowly Astros, after already having played them 6 times.

Will the Dodger pitching hold up? Will Kemp keep up a torrid pace for the next 2+ months? Will the Dodgers get Dempster? How concerned are you about the Dodgers?

1. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Did Berger tell his story about the time he batted against Pill’s father? I’ve heard it many a times.
    I’ll let him tell it…

• Berger said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I never told you the story. I just told you I hit off of him. I grounded out to second twice. That was actrually an accomplishment. The guy usually threw a no hitter and struck out almost everybody he faced. There was no pitcher in our league close to how good he was. I heard he eventually threw his arm out. I’m not really sure on that one. The first time I saw Brett Pill I immediately knew who he was, he looks a lot like his dad, Mike Pill, but taller.

• twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I already posted that they should give Pill a shot ( again) at being the RH bat off the bench. That’s his role if he’ll ever have one.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Never told me the story? Yeah, right. And you never screamed “José Guillén!!!” onto my answering machine a gazillion times either.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I gotta say, if he left you that many messages about Guillen I might start hitting the delete button before I hit the play button. 🙂

2. snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Notice that the NCAA is giving out some penalty before they’ve even investigated it themselves. Normally, the NCAA moves at a glacial, glacial pace in these investigations. How long did it take for them to figure out the Reggie Bush thing — 5 YEARS? This PSU outrage just came into the public eye last November, the NCAA hasn’t done any of its own investigation that I know of, yet here we are just 8 months later with penalties coming down, of some sort. They must be hanging their hat on the Freeh report and some bogus reply from PSU to the NCAA’s general inquiries. More importantly, the NCAA had to stop the bad PR bleeding and do SOMETHING. If the penalties are not severe, you can bet there was some back room deal done between the NCAA and PSU for PSU to take a dagger early, not a big sword later. No coincidence they took down the Paterno statue today. The NCAA is a a money-corrupted organization and rotten to the core…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Why don’t they just start paying the players and be done with it. Student athletes? Please stop. Don’t insult my intelligence. These players are bringing in millions of dollars to their respective universities. They work for you. So pay their asses.

3. ewisco said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:56 pm

one out base hit. sacrifice bunt. base hit to win it. The g’s should be watching. an historic 4 game sweep of spankees. mrs. w will be pissed.

• willedav said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:07 pm

crisp wins it…he’s kind of their version of pagan (maybe not as good a hitter but walks more). Last night he actually got picked off first base twice during the same AB by the yanks lefty. First time he stopped running and got himself in a rundown and the pitcher got involved, missed the tag and crisp got back to the bag. couple pitches later he got caught flat footed and tagged out trying to get back to the bag.
      may the yanks next trip here in october work out the same!

4. twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I think we’re doing alright. A’s will fade.

5. zumiee said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:17 pm

MLB network’s and ESPN’s ongoing lavish praise of Mike Trout has crossed now into hype, which is too bad, because hype can also turn off a lot of people. One of the ESPN pundits called his catch “the catch of the year.” Setting aside for a moment the fact that there’s still a lot of games left in the season, I don’t see how that’s the catch of the year over Blanco’s catch in the perfect game.

6. zumiee said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:34 pm

The Baseball Hall of Fame with a damning-with-faint-praise induction of Ron Santo. It’s like they’re saying: “OK, Santo, we’re going to finally let you in, but we waited until you died to do it, so you can’t enjoy the award while you were alive.”

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I know, it’s terrible. I’m *off* The Hall. They keep all the best players out. They let some of the ones who should have been in get in after they’re dead. It’s stupid. Stop big timin’ everyone and let the fucking players who should be in, get in! lol

7. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I don’t really have a problem with espn calling Trout’s catch the *COTY*. Did you see how high he got? I think Blanco’s was better but they’re trying to sell shit, keep people watching the game. It’s not the worst transgression on their part.
    And as I’ve felt for at least a month, if I had to vote *today* I’d vote for Trout as AL MVP easily……

8. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:55 pm

This just in: And to no one’s surprise, speed is dominating on the Jimmy Durante turf course at old Del Mar. And my favorite trainer, Bob Baffert, just won the San Clemente H. in front running style with Eden’s Moon. The only negative is that she only paid $3.80. But the best part of that race was watching her gallop back towards the winners circle. She looked like new fucking money even after running a mile. I’d run her back next week. And knowing Bob, if there was a race in the condition book that fit her, so would he.

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I happened to catch a little bit of Huell Howser’s on-the-road show today on PBS, and sure enough, part of the show was at that track. One of the people he interviewed said Tim Conway and Dick Van Patten were there all the time these days. Ouch, a far cry from the big stars that used to hang out there back in the day.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Yeah, those two are well known gamblers. Not just at the track, but Dick is a well known poker player. And his son, Vince, even more so. Not only does he play, but he’s co-host of the WPT TV show.

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Also the “Welcome Back, Kotter” guy, Gabe Kaplan does some broadcasting of poker on TV, I think.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 7:02 pm

He does and he’s very good at it. He knows the game and he’s funny and engaging.

9. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm

by the way Snarkk, I did see that the NCAA had come to a decision without their own investigation and that they are just going with the Freeh Report. And that doesn’t surprise me despite agreeing with you that they are corrupt and *all about money.*
    This Penn State thing has crossed the line of *corrupt*. It is an ethical issue that almost can’t be topped, in my opinion. What the officials at Penn St allowed to happen (almost disgustingly supporting it, according to the Freeh Report) is too disturbing for normal human beings to even comprehend. The fact that the stars all aligned and 4 or 5 weirdo scumbags came together and looked past this travesty doesn’t mean that the NCAA will do the same. Or that they *should* do the same, even if they are corrupt.
    If you offered me 5 million dollars to protect a pervert like Sandusky and look the other way while it was happening there’s no way I do that. You could offer me 100 bazillion trillion dollars and I wouldn’t do it. I don’t care how removed the NCAA is from what actually happened. To preserve my belief in humanity, I choose to believe they wouldn’t do a back door deal with Penn State that would protect them in any way…..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm

How’s the poker room at the Bay 101 Casino? I’ve never been.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 6:57 pm

it sucks. Everyone plays everything. *Family pot* on every hand. it’s a fucking lotto ticket down there. But it’s only 20 minutes away from my house and when I want to play that’s where I go.
        The only place I play in Reno (probably 4 or 5 weekends a year) is the El Dorado Poker Room. Hands down the best PR in Reno (in my opinion).

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Well, you have a kid and I have two, that brings this thing home more than anything. Not to say people with no kids don’t find this appalling. But, I think when you have kids of your own, this situation brings it to the personally incredulous level. Like you, someone could offer me endless money and whatever else to look the other way, but nothing, nada, would let me look the other way and let a child predator roam free in a workplace with me for FOURTEEN years, where I had to KNOW with virtual certainty that he WILL rape more kids. I’m not as sanguine about you re: the NCAA’s humanitarian leanings. We’ll see on the penalty, but anything short of the death penalty for a significant period of years will be an outrage heaped upon the outrage. Only the loss of millions will mean anything to these football factories, so if they continue to play ball on Saturdays, as far as I am concerned the penalties will be a slap in the face to the victims…

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I appreciate all the points you are making. Personally, I think that they KNEW he WAS raping them and continued to look the other way. That’s a dark theory and different from what you just said when you wrote that they *know with virtual certainty that he WILL rape more kids.” There’s also nothing in the Freeh Report that suggested this. But common sense tells you that they knew it was happening. They protected his office, they saw him with kids on campus all the tim. Whenever night fell and the locker room went dark…… It’s too disturbing for me to even keep typing…….

10. twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Just wondering- does the NCAA ever do anything to help the innocent young athetes left behind after penalties are imposed? Seems to me they should get help financially and logistically if they want to change schools. Is that done or are they just added to the victim list?

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I don’t know for sure, but I would wager on the latter. When an organization has a rule that allows head coaches to leave a team in mid-contract with no penalty, but requires his players to sit out a year if, as a result of his desertion (after recruiting them), they want to transfer, I don’t believe for a second that it has the players’ best interests at heart…

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 10:10 pm

They are added to the victim list in terms of being penalized for transferring. That’s why I said earlier that I hope they add something to this that allows them to leave w/o penalty. But I’m not holding my breath. If they transfer, they have to sit out a year. End of story.

11. blade3colorado said, on July 22, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I just got back from lunch/spending the day with an ex-girlfriend in Manitou Springs, a touristy area near Colorado Springs, an hour and a half from the Denver area. Anyway, this is where one of the fires occurred (the one where 350+ homes were destroyed). Whole neighborhoods gone and/or homes destroyed where their next door neighbor’s homes were spared. Very sad. My friend has a 4000 sq. foot home less than a half mile from where the destruction was. She said that the day the fire jumped the canyon, her indoor thermometer read 115 degrees F.

Fast forward to my hacienda, I finally got through all the posts. Do any of you know how long it takes to get through 350 fricking posts? Quite awhile is what it takes . . . Sheesh, who said there is a lack of participation and interest here?

In my book, 350 posts equals healthy Flap!

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 9:47 pm

she was still in the house when the thermometer was reading 115F? What the hell, lol? Was she roasting marsh mellows too? Why the hell hadn’t she been evacuated?

• blade3colorado said, on July 23, 2012 at 7:23 am

Good question (I asked her the same thing . . . LOL).

No, that was a couple of minutes before evacuating. As she was leaving, she checked the heater’s thermometer. The fire moved so fast, with 70 MPH sustained winds, that most people weren’t notified until the fire had jumped the canyon ridge. A total cluster fuck, coupled with the residential streets so clogged with traffic, that she only “inched” a mile or so away from her house in an hour. All the houses were destroyed in this area in 5-8 hours according to her.

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Josh Hamilton has been killing my fantasy team as of late. The reformed alki needs a goddamn drink.

13. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm

TF, I can’t remember if I thanked you for the heads up on the “Killing of a Chinese Bookie” film or not.
    I had not seen that Cassavetes great character study portrayed by Ben Gazzara. I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks.

• twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Gazzara was never better. Someone mentioned Stanislavski the other day- Gazzarra was of that school and unlike many others, he never mailed in a performance. He deserved more acclaim than he ever got.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I mentioned Stanislavski back on Chuck’s blog on July 13. It was in reference to that Bob Kraft video with his girlfriend at that audition tape. I said Bob wasn’t an obviously trained Stanislavski student, but he still got to go home to that hottie every night. Bob’s an Oscar winner in my book.

Goodnight.

14. twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I think Dirty makes his Rockie’s debut tomorrow against the DBacks.

15. Berger said, on July 22, 2012 at 8:05 pm

My opinion of Belt’s hitting is he has too much pre-swing movement. He stands open and then closes it just before swinging. I don’t know how open he should stand but he definitely heeds less movement in the lower body. He is not staying back on the ball and, and IMO, the lower body movement is putting him in motion too soon. He’s getting killed with soft stuff. I like the adjustments he’s made but he needs more. Remember, the kid is only 23. Somebody made a comment about Matt Williams going to the minors multiple times, and that was for the same problem, learning to hit the soft stuff. I think Belt will be fine, but for now he is really hurting us.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Oh go save your hitting coach BS for somebody else. Next thing I know you’ll be calling me to explain in detail the intricacies of Alex Smith’s footwork. I’m not drunk enough for that shit.

As Telly was wont to say, “Who loves ya, Baby?”

• Berger said, on July 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Just putting my 2 cents in. Time will tell if the kid makes it and what adjustrments he actually makes. My prediction is he makes it but he needs to simplify what he is doing.

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 8:18 pm

And the ex-drunk K’s with 2 runners on and himself as the tying run at the plate.
    I got a right mind to put that POS on waivers tomorrow.

17. unca_chuck said, on July 22, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Is hitting coach your part time job, Bergs? Along with Alex Smith footwork adjuster? Along with interrnet stalking?

Dude, yer a sloppy drunk. Leave me out of your delusional posts. Go visit Spitty. He’s looking for someone to spoon.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Ha, relax. Some of your fellow stable boys came to your defense, vociferously I might add. It was over last night…..

• Berger said, on July 23, 2012 at 7:02 am

How did the guy you think sucks do? Two HRs, a great catch and a great series. I doubt you could hit your way out of a wet paper bag.

BTW, you going to any of the Bluedays events at Squaw Valley. Guitar Shorty, Jimmy Thackery and Coco Montoya are all playing on consecutive Tuesdays.

18. willedav said, on July 22, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Just saw the highlights of toronto boston, where the Jays scored 9 runs by first two innings yet sox left Lester in til the 5th. By the time they took him out the Jays had 11 runs and 4 bombs, including one over the Monsta by none other than our old buddy Rajai Davis. Hmmmn…bobby v a little pissed? fans sure were.
    Francona must feel for these guys, but he’s gotta realize he’s in a better place, even alongside orel.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Your reference to Lester is a hint about tomorrow’s thread. That’s the only hint you get Muhuhaaaahaaha!!!!!

• willedav said, on July 23, 2012 at 7:51 am

Dennis is on for Monday, i’m on Tuesday, yours is on sched for wed…….right?

19. TedSpe said, on July 22, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I remember those cheers / They still ring in my ears / After years, they remain in my thoughts. / Go to one night / I took off my robe, and what’d I do? I forgot to wear shorts. / I recall every fall / Every hook, every jab / The worst way a guy can get rid of his flab. / As you know, my life wasn’t drab. / Though I’d much… Though I’d rather hear you cheer / When you delve… Though I’d rather hear you cheer / When I delve into Shakespeare / “A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse”, I haven’t had a winner in six months.
    Though I’m no Olivier / I would much rather… And though I’m no Olivier / If he fought Sugar Ray / He would say / That the thing ain’t the ring, it’s the play. / So give me a… stage / Where this bull here can rage / And though I could fight / I’d much rather recite /… that’s entertainment.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Bravo my fellow movie-loving friend. Bravo.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Hey. Speaking of which. I don’t know if you’re a fellow Twitter follower, but it’s a great source of entertainment knowledge. Many links to actors, directors, critics and everyone and anyone who’s in showbiz. I’ve benefited greatly by following the likes.

20. tedspe said, on July 22, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Sorry. Annoying. I know. But is was funner than typing–test–
    Been away all weekend. Will be next weekend as well.
    Reading all youse guys stuff.
    As always…that’s entertainement
    And nice Marshaling as well.
    You all take care. Try to play fair

21. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

Guess I missed all the fun while I was as Pismo. Bergs is stalking me here now? Wonderful.

Nate has 23 HRs and 116 RBIs. A good solid year for a corner outfielder. Unfortunately, it took him 5.5 years to get there . . .

I bet the Scientologists sucked you in pretty easy . . .

22. Berger said, on July 23, 2012 at 8:59 am

Yes, and the lady from Romper Room can saee you too!