A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Those pesky Dodgers….

Posted in Uncategorized by zumiee on July 22, 2012

John Nance “Cactus Jack” Garner, U.S. Vice President from 1933-1941, once famously said: “The Vice Presidency isn’t worth a warm bucket of spit.” Well, a Wild Card spot isn’t quite that bad, but it sure ain’t what it used to be. It’s all about winning the division title these days, and it looks to be a classic Giant/Dodger battle for the division crown in 2012. There are a lot of ways to compare the Giants and Dodgers at this point of the season- their strengths, and also the things that need improvement. But another way to compare them is the schedule they both have to play the rest of the way. Who does the schedule favor?

And speaking of baseball schedules (if I may digress), I dig baseball schedules in all their incarnations. Especially pocket schedules and refrigerator magnet schedules. Whenever I’m doubting the human race, I try to remember that a species that invented baseball and refrigerator magnet schedules can’t be all bad. At the beginning of the season, it all comes down to what the Jimmy Fallon character says in the movie “Fever Pitch”: “A new season is a clean slate.” And here we are now, with over half the slate now turned into boxscores. The Giants have 36 homegames left, 32 roadgames. The Dodgers have 32 homegames left, 35 roadgames. The Giants have a few more games left against under-.500 teams than the Dodgers do (although that depends on what the opponents’ records are at any given moment, of course.) So, it’s a modest advantage to the Giants regarding the schedules, except….for those last 3 games of the season being at Dodger Stadium. But, on the other hand, by a fluke of the MLB scheduling computer, L.A. has 8 games to play against the Cardinals left on the schedule, after already having played them 3 times earlier in the season; while the Giants have 3 games left with the lowly Astros, after already having played them 6 times.

Will the Dodger pitching hold up? Will Kemp keep up a torrid pace for the next 2+ months? Will the Dodgers get Dempster? How concerned are you about the Dodgers?

1. DJLoo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I have a nice inexpensive idea to bolster us at first base: Travis Ishikawa

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Loo, that’s one of your funnier and wittier comments ever. Travis Ishikawa? Did you know that Ishikawa (by First Samurai out of Gal of Mine) runs at Suffolk Downs? That horse stinks on ice even more than the ballplayer.

NATE!!! Berger has an erection over his play.

2. eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm

99 pitches for Z and he just struck out two, including FUCK YOU BOZO’s favorite

3. DJLoo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I heard Jack Morris interviewed by Ed Randall on the radio this morning. Regarding today’s HOF induction ceremonies for Barry Larkin & the late Ron Santo he said that those guys will have a ball and he’s looking forward to their speeches. Randall didn’t bother to tell him the bad news.

4. eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm

110 pitches and it is the Gs half of the eighth

5. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I don’t get into the quality start definition but I would absolutely qualify this as another *quality* Zito start—by my count, that’s 14 of 19 starts this year. He gave the team a chance to win, struck out 7 with only 1 walk and didn’t give up the lead until the 7th. The fact that the Giants can only score 2 runs off shitty Joe Blanton isn’t Zito’s fault…….

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I agree, this was a “quality” Zito start. The fact he gave up two HRs is no biggie, the Giants pitchers gave ’em up all weekend in this bandbox. Yeah, against Blanton they should have gotten Zito at least his “magic” 4 runs. There must be a stat on how SF has done on getaway back to home games on the road — I’d like to see the average runs scored and the W-L record this year…

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm

to me this game was *house money*. I didn’t think they’d win 3 much less, potentially, 5

6. Salty said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm

2 for Mayberry 2 for Nate?

7. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Nate redux……

8. DJLoo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!

9. manny said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

More of the Cult lives !!!

10. zumiee said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Nate going yard again! He digs this yard!
    ——
    Since the Phillies were able to get Pence from Houston without having to give up Mayberry or Dominic Brown, the question then is….who DID Houston get for Pence? And here it is:

“Houston nabbed two of Philadelphia’s top prospects in first baseman Jonathan Singleton and right-hander Jarred Cosart.
    The 19-year-old Singleton was batting .282 with nine homers and 47 RBIs for Class-A Clearwater. He was selected by the Phillies in the eighth round of the 2009 draft.
    The 21-year-old Cosart was 9-8 with a 3.92 ERA in 20 games, 19 starts, for Clearwater.
    Rebuilding Houston also got 25-year-old righty Josh Zeid, who was 2-3 with two saves and a 5.65 ERA in 21 games, 11 starts, for Double-A Reading.
    The fourth player will be named later.”

Hmmm……

11. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I’m not sure what i’d call that, but I wouldn’t call what Manuel did “jogging.” He looked like he was dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld……..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm

“The Little Kicks” was one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes. I found the girl (Rebecca McFarland) that George was hitting on to be hot myself. I loved her curly blonde hair.

12. DJLoo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm

BTW, I saw late last night that Huff had suffered a setback in his re-hab and would be re-evaluated in a day or two…

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm

The knee probably needs arthoscopic surgery, I’m guessing. According to local reports, he had trouble running in the minor league games.

13. eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm

[knocking, a slit in the door opens]
    “Is this the Cult of Nate?” “My name is eddacker and Berger sent me”

• Bozo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Ed, if that caves a rockin’, don’t come a knockin’.

14. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Goddamit, Kuip had his homerun voice revving up there. Thought that one was gone…….

15. twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Nate is totally impossible to figure- he seems like he should be a 20-80 .800 OPS guy. Then he turns into Randy Winn’s sister.

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:44 pm

true, dat

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Goddamn Victorino. I’d probably curtail my curses towards him if he were to don the orange and black.

17. Bozo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Another good play by Theriot.

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm

That was a SWEET DP. Nice scoop, Riot.

19. DJLoo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi-Ho the Theriot!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:50 pm

The farmer’s name is Del.

20. Robbie Lou said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Ryan Theriot will make a great manager one day. Right now, I like him where he is.

21. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Does Howard do anything besides strike out? Serious question.

• Bozo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I hope not, because I sure love watching the dude strikeout.

22. Bozo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Followed by another nice strikeout by Howard.

23. eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

if howard was in his first season we’d be trading him.

24. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

LOOGY!!! He’s one of my favorite Giants. And the fact that Lopez is very well spoken and articulate in his interviews doesn’t hurt either.

25. zumiee said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Hey, I’m a Bochy fan, but there’s a clear double-standard with the guy.
    Nate will get to play for a while because he’s hot right now; whereas Belt and Crawford have had some times where they were benched after having a good game.

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:50 pm

The veteran vs. the “new guy” philosophy.

• Salty said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I think it’s all about match ups.

26. Robbie Lou said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Ok, so what has Nate done for himself this weekend? Won a few more starts, or granted the trade he alluded to?

27. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Take a picture, Duck Tail. It lasts longer. Shitty AB. Why haven’t I tossed him in the river yet?

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I need some clarification. Is Romo our new closer? Because if he is, he’s coming in a NON-save situation.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm

do the results of this inning have anything to do with the follow up posts on this brand new, fresh topic?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Don’t shoot the messenger just because he delivers some unfortunate, yet timely and correct news.
        Actually, go ahead and shoot if that’s your preference. I’m a firm believer in capital punishment.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm

yes, talk about it all you want. I just wanted to know if we need to round up the old jury and get them back in court or if you’re vetting a new group.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I’m almost positive that you *rested your case* on this topic back in late May or so. No?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:18 pm

You’re right, I think I did. But is it OK if I mention it when it comes to my fantasy closers? Because I have gotten dicked in the last few days by my closers who pitched in NON-save situations.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm

29. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I’m gonna have a few beers but don’t worry, it’s just the 4% type. I’m leaving the 8 percenters in the fridge for Berger…… 🙂

30. DJLoo said, on July 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Flav: Any idea what happened to SanDawg & PaulinAsia?

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:02 pm

yeah, San Diggity is out and about in San Diego, he emailed me last weekend. Asian Paul was in the states until a couple of weeks ago and he just went back to ‘Nam. I know he’s not working anymore and don’t know if he’s now retired or if he just decided to move on from his job as a teacher at the business school there. I saw some pics on facebook, the party they had for him was spectacular. Those students loved the guy

31. snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Nate’s public complaining has worked tremendously. Now, he ought to demand a long term deal at $10M per year. That’ll get him to hit .400 for at least, uh, three games…

32. eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Romo 11 pitches, 8 for strikes and we get a turn with some at bats

33. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Take the fucking bat off your shoulders you worthless piece of shit. Belt doesn’t even deserve a Bud Light now.

34. Salty said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Sabean has to be searching hard for a RH bat

35. Salty said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I knew that would inspire Christian.

36. eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm

back at the start of the season I asked for Belt to get 500 ABs and he receently passed 200. He has a decent upside and these ABs are paying for it, it will come.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm

He should have been getting all those ABs in Fresno, but circumstances put him up to the bigs too early…

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm

in 273 ABs @ Fresno he had a .291 avg and .971 OPS he needs to face ML pitchers, IMO

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I’ve already exhaustively discussed how many plate appearances Belt had in the minors total, and at AA and AAA, compared to other successful major leaguers before they were brought up. He has had half the PAs of what McCutchen and Freddie Freeman had before they were brought up. Some people are ready early, some aren’t and need more seasoning in the minors. If Huff hadn’t disappeared, Belt would be happily in Fresno this whole season and getting tons of ABs every night, generating confidence in different situations, and would be up in September for a look see. Instead, IMO he’s been rushed up and fucked with by management. Less than half a season in both AA and Fresno was not enough…

37. snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I say you gotta send Christian to steal here. If he gets thrown out, whatever. Theriot is a singles hitter, so a double or better is unlikely, but Theriot’s patented single up the middle scores Christian from second….

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Well, half of that worked. Good effort by Christian…

38. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I don’t want to be a downer but the Giants have the 3rd best batting average against lefties in the NL this year–.264.
    And I *think* I recently heard that they have a very good record against them but I can’t be sure of that one…..

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Nate just under what woulda been his third homer on the day. It probably was for the best.
    I woulda got 20 drunken Berger messages on my answering machine with him screaming Nate’s name.

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm

berger sounds like my kinda guy, youse two must be a riot

40. manny said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

In my best Harry Carey voice “Let’s get some runnnns”.

41. Robbie Lou said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Affeldt joins my list of mutterers even after a lights out inning. Shaking his head and (presumably) swearing like a Del Mar equine.

42. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Heart of the lineup coming up in the 11th. Better Heart. The hearts of romaine lettuce or the artichoke?
    I’m a romaine fan myself.

43. Salty said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Mets just tied it up in the 9th

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I guess one of my fantasy closers, Kenley Jansen, wasn’t available today. The Bums brought in shitty-ass Guerra to try and close it out. No surprise he coughed it up.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm

so if the jury has questions about this new evidence that you’re submitting, are you saying that Guerra, by being a non-closer in a non-save situation, supports or doesn’t support *the case*?

• eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm

the mind boggles

• Robbie Lou said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I start to think sometimes when I try to follow this, I am living in the fantasy league.

44. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm

shit. At least Belt swung during that at bat. Crawford with a better batting average than Belt on the year? Yikes……

45. eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm

buriss doesn’t seem to have any trouble swinging
    😦

46. snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Right there, I would imagine we’ve seen Belt’s last AB for a while. Whether until Sept or forever in a SF uni, I dunno. The bench weakness becomes glaring in extras…

47. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm

That might be one of the worst at bats I’ve ever seen from a guy who struck out on 3 pitches (Burriss). he didn’t come within feet of the ball with those swings…..

48. Bozo said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Two out hitter Theriot.

49. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Have I mentioned lately how my fantasy hitters can’t hit worth a shit for avg.? I’m dead fucking last in that category. If it wasn’t for my stellar pitching [no jinx, knock on wood] I’d be in big trouble. I had two more stellar performances today by Lynn and Detwiler (who I just p/u again today) to bolster my stats. Detwiler has been a sneaky sleeper of mine. I have him in more than a few leagues.

Who was it that just dropped Shields? Was that you, Fuck you, Bozo!?!?!? And didn’t you just try and trade him to me for Kenley? I might have fallen off the turnip truck, but it sure in the hell wasn’t yesterday. I think he still has No. 1 or No. 2 status at the least. I know his first half wasn’t anything to write home about, but his velocity is still there and so are his K’s. I’m taking a chance on Shields…at least for the time being.

And I wouldn’t mind taken a swing at Brooke Shields either.

This just in: Belt continues to blow like the Summer Wind (music by Henry Mayer, lyrics by Johnny Mercer.)

• Bozo said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Dude I’m getting close to maxing out on number of starts, so first I tried to trade Shields to you and when you didn’t want to trade, I dropped the fuck. If you just picked him up, I hope he gives you the same numbers he gave me through the first half.

Hey Del, I’ve got Belt wanna trade?

50. Sportdude said, on July 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Shit Mets and Gmen led off with doubles at the same time and both stranded. Not to call anyone out but Belt has to get Crawford to 3rd. Killing me!

51. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Gawd, at this point we can’t have Nate getting hurt! One more bomb and he might be worthy of a *Wells/Nate” swap straight up. 🙂

52. Robbie Lou said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Bochy incapable of going small ball and I’m guessing it’s a head size issue.

53. Robbie Lou said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I’m pretty sure no one looks more ridiculous with those high socks than Penny.

• twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm

He loooks like a homeless K-Mart Santa Claus..
      I ‘m ready for Hal, I mean, Todd, Linden..

54. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm

whatever. We went 4-2 on the road trip. I’m happy with that. Time to go home. Hopefully a new* bench* is waiting for them when they arrive…….

55. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Well, that ending sucked. But 2 outta 3 from both Atlanta and Philly? I got nothing to bitch about.
    Well, we all know that’s not true. But I’ll spare you guys for the time being.

• Robbie Lou said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm

So you’re not betting Penny is the new closer?

56. Bozo said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Tough loss, good road trip.

Those extra special Philly fans can now go celebrate in vats of cheese whiz.

57. eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm

giants on the field @ phoneball park in 15 hours, better git home and git after some padres

58. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

And Flav, since Bozo brought up the subject about maxing out on your SPs. I know it jives within the framework of the rules, but is it ethical to start a shitload of pitchers and then have nine RPs in your lineup for the last month or so. Is this a preferred strategy? Just asking.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm

ethically, that’s fine if you want to do that. It never works, though. Loading up on starting pitching and blasting past the innings number doesn’t work for one main reason: You can’t find enough good, qualtiy pitchers to send out in mass on a daily basis without them fucking up your WHIP and your ERA—and wins are no guarantee for any pitcher, much less a *#5* who you trot out there off the WW. And *usually* if you’re starting so many SP’s each day you are pretty thin on the # of closers you send out there. So you end up being dominant in SO’s and fucked everywhere.
      Bad strategy, IMO

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

OK, thanks. I’m still in the minus category for starts (-7) coming into today. I figured it was best to economize and use your starts accordingly.

• Bozo said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Ethical? I don’t know but I’ll let you know if it works, It probably would have been a better strategy if I had gotten more wins out of my SPs.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm

BLADE’S cousin is trying it, he’s WAAAAY over where he should be in total innings.

• Bozo said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I didn’t really think about it until lately. Because I was maxing out, I thought dropping one guy would even the whole thing out. Shields hadn’t given me much so I thought dropping him wouldn’t hurt if I could sneak a win and lower my ERA and WHIP with a reliever.
        It wasn’t a planned strategy by any means but with DMD picking up Shields, I may have come across a very diabolical plan.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I owned Shields in an espn league and finally traded him a few days ago–Luckily, I got his one good start in forever during the trade-wait period, so at least I got to kick his ass out the door off a good start (they’re few and far between this year as you’ve noticed, Bozo). He gives up way too many hits, most in the league, He’s good at fucking up your WHIP.
        I traded him for Broxton, which was a bit speculative on my part. I think the Royals have to trade him to a contender but that doesn’t mean he’ll close. Risky. But whatever, I got that hit-machine off my roster.

59. Robbie Lou said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Can’t help but wonder if there will be a follow-up discussion between Nate and Bochy, though I doubt these things ever happen. Can anyone imagine Nate walking into Bochy’s office, asking whoever is in there to leave, closing to door and saying, “what’s it gonna be Boch?”

• willedav said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

At least with a couple bombs he puts his value back into bochy’s mind. Everyone is going to need a rest, and maybe now Nate’s first call instead of cristian. The mgr obviously would prefer the back up to shine instead of racking up an 0h fer. I think it’s interesting bochy didn’t lead off with pagan when he sat blanco.
      all kinds of different ways to motivate players, too. Maybe bochy wanted to see some pushback and have Nate show him he deserved more PT.

60. snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Yeah, the 4-2 is a good trip. Take it for sure, especially compared to that Nats and Bucs disaster, but we all know it could / should have been better. Later, Flappers…

61. eddacker said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:21 pm

someone asked about schedule, I did notice that after this Thursday’s rest day they play 19 straight. 12 @ home.
    Blade pointed out that 13 of those are against teams we should beat. 4 of the away games are in St. Louis. half of the home games are against the dogers and our old Nemesis the Nats. Here’s a cold pint raised to momentum and keeping it for the next three weeks, which take us to the next travel day 16 August.

62. snarkks said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Kruk and Kuip busy now just dumping big time on Belt. Across 50,000 watts. If he were Huff, probably barely a word. No criticism of anybody else that left RISP. Yeah, he’s sucking, but they’re essentially calling for him to be drawn and quartered, practically breathless. Burriss struck out, too at that same situation. What has Belt, a kid thrown to the wolves from not enough time in the minors, done to deserve this kind of public flogging by management and by the Giants voices? Yet, Huff takes $22 million and disappears, with barely a whisper from Kruk and Kuip. Absolutely shameful. Now, I’m out…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Excellent comment, Snarkk. But you know K&K. They protect veterans like they were their first born male child. Always have. Always will.

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Whatever the reason, DMD, it’s inexcusable and time they stop it. This kid is sucking, but he’s not the only guy not getting hits and knocking in runs. Today included. They were 0 for 11 or something like that with RISP. Not just Belt. It’s all well and good for us here and other blogs to bash the players, but when one vulnerable kid is singled out by very powerful voices like K & K, that is just way over the line and wholly unprofessional, in my book. They are poisoning the chance of this talented kid ever performing well for this organization. And, I just DO NOT understand one bit of it. HE knows he’s sucking, we all know it, so why target him in a tirade out over the Giants network as apparently single-handedly responsible for the loss? K & K can go suck a lemon on the flight home…

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm

the reason Belt is catching so much shit is because of the length of time he’s sucked this year and how he looks when he’s in a slump–his body language is terrible. It’s impossible to ignore, frankly……..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Snarkk, I wholeheartedly agree. K&K have gone out of their way in singling Belt out as the main culprit. It’s like they’ve made him their own personal “whipping boy.” The fans know he’s struggling. I’ve been first and foremost to jump on his ass. But my silly comments don’t count. But Kruk and Kuip’s sure the hell do. And Bochy’s earlier comments didn’t help either. The poor kid’s confidence is at an all-time low. He needs a hand on his shoulder. Not a foot up his ass.

• zumiee said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Everything about K&K’s broadcasting is “ex-ballplayer,” the good and the bad. You get the humor, stories, and insight; but you also get the over-protecting of veterans, and their chuckling at women in the crowd with a pro-ballplayers sense of entitlement.

63. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I never like tooting my own fantasy horn, but I think my recent p/u of Greg Holland from KC should pay some dividends once Baby Huey is traded at the deadline. And Holland after his hideous start has been money of late. He provides a great K/ratio from a RP. 53 K’s in only 36 IP.

• DJLoo said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm

“Baby Huey” will always make me think of Seattle Slew…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I’m sure you saw the recent announcement that Belmont winner, Union Rags, was just retired. And with I’ll Have Another on his way to go stand in Japan, all of this year’s Triple Crown winners have been retired. I’m not kidding. At the rate they’re sending horses to early retirement, they’re gonna have to start running the Triple Crown for 2 yos. I can’t stand what these people have done to our breeding industry. It makes me sick to my stomach. It’s come to the point where I’m focusing more of my attention to the horses from across the pond. They still do it right.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm

agree with you on what’s happened to the breeding industry but it’s very hard for an owner to say *no* to that kind of money. I seem to recall that it was Sunday Silence who broke the seal in the biggest way in terms of our horses heading to Japan to be bred. Could be wrong, but that’s how I remember it……..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm

And in keeping with the fantasy closers, my cupboard was bare for the first 6-8 weeks. I couldn’t buy a goddamn save. Then Guerra showed his true colors and Jansen was rightfully promoted. Motte was my one established closer from the get-go. Then I fortunately lucked into Clippard, Janssen and Tom Wilhelmsen becoming the head cheeses. I currently have five closers on my roster. Although Clippard is doing his darnedest to cough it up back to Storen. Hence my p/u of Holland.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm

yep, that’s the way fantasy baseball goes. And if you go auto (pussy) draft, like we did, the churn and burn can be even more pronounced. I was drafted 10 pitchers (or 11 I can’t remember) on draft day and I only have 2 left on my team (Yu Darvish and Anibel Sanchez).

64. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 2:53 pm

The Giants can’t just wave a magic wand and fix the bench. With Belt, Pagan and Blanco struggling (all to different degrees) there’s a good chance that Nate gets more starts in the OF and that leaves fucking Burriss and Christian on the bench? And Belt if Posey’s playing first base? Fuck that, better not go extra innings…..
    Our bench is atrocious, even worse than the bench we had on the 2002 WS team. I don’t remember all of them, but I remember the *feared* Shingo was our DH in at least a game of 2 in the WS. There was Torrealba behind the dish as the back up. Not bad actually. Tom Goodwin was also an outfielder on the team. And I think Feliz might have still been on the team, but not starting……..
    Sabean’s got to do some seriously creative things to fix the bench and it’s going to be difficult because if you play Nate more then you don’t just need one new bench guy, you need a new bench guy to replace Nate and then ANOTHER new bench guy to fill the hole we already have……

• snarkk said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I can’t leave. Ha. I totally agree. I think the lack of bench strength is more critical than getting another reliever. We’re losing games by one run, not 2 or 4. The pitching is fine compared to the bench weakness. Better bench players can get that one run in that we need…

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm

absolutely. Christian got a hit today but does he strike anyone as a *secret weapon* pinch hitter? Negative. And if Nate takes over Blanco’s spot in the OF then we have some weird redundancy with Christian AND Blanco both on the bench. Double negative. At this point, I wouldn’t mind Pill on the bench. He had some good swings though seemed to get exposed when he started. But I’m lukemediumwarm on that idea……
        And Burriss, who fooled me with a nice run to start the season after Theriot went to the DL, is just completely overmatched as a hitter. t’s fairly amazing that a position player who can’t hit and who isn’t that good at defense and who was drafted 6 years ago is still in the league and has accumulated 2.152 years of major league service……

65. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm

technical question: Do any of you guys use Yahoo sports regularly to check box scores? I use it religiously because I like the interface and the box score loads super quickly (unlike ESPN or mlb.com).
    But they have added so much shit to the sports page, more recently promoting a bunch of twitter links, blog links and more ads, that it takes at least 3 or 4 seconds for the page to load the scores link.
    Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    I have tried loading it in different browsers and at work and it does the same thing everywhere.
    Thought?

• willedav said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I like cbs site for scores…they are often a little behind, but the game tracker gives decent pitch descriptions plus scoring and the whole roster–starters and bench/pen. Plus you can follow blogger comments, often hilarious.
      what got me started was cbs NFL scores site for the scores etc all around the league, which is really cool with all kinds of info (drives, down distance etc) right up front. as you can guess, the blog comments if you track the game are even more intense.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm

thanks. I’ll check it out, I use CBS sports for all my *player news* info–it’s not as accurate and up to date as it was last year but better than most. The only blogger comments though that I read are here–at least consistently. On this big national sites there’s always like 6000 comments and most of them are really whacked out and way off topic. And I don’t read the Splash at all anymore (not for years actually, I check in once every 3 or 4 months) because half the shit there gets deleted.Now I ask you, who moderates their blog better, me or The Splash? It’s cool, I already know the answer. 🙂

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:39 pm

No, not personally. I usually follow along with the MLB.com gameday when we’re playing. Then I jump from game to game to check on my fantasy players. But for the quickest and most up-to-date info, I constantly monitor Twitter. I follow quite a few of the baseball/fantasy “Insiders” on a daily basis. That’s where I found about the latest injuries and new closer situations. i.e., Janssen, Clippard and Wilhelmsen.

66. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Dennis I just sent you another email, can you check it and get back to me?

67. ewisco said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm

If memory serves, nate had that big series in NY earlier. Wouldn’t you think that an east coast team would take a serious look? he seems to hit much better there (hot weather? surprising for a danville boy). I agree with BF that Burriss’ at bat was just horrendous. a god awful third swing. Belt looks like he’s waving more than swinging. Panda doesn’t seem to hit well with RISP. Pagan slumping. you’d think he might heat up on an east coast swing where he’s familiar with the parks and the pitchers. blanco seems to respond to getting a day so we’ll see when they get home. it wouldn’t surprise me to see blanco in cf with nate in right. wouldn’t surprise me to see nate on the bench though either. is crawford coming into his own? What we’re seeing is the guy we hoped to see. will it continue?

68. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Detour to the Penn St mess: Sounds like it’s going to be a year bowl ban and a bunch of lost scholarships. I’m not sure how I feel about that. Ohio St got a year ban for players getting free tattoos, how the fuck could Penn State get the same ban?
    I hope the NCAA makes an allowance for the players to transfer with a no *waiting* period. This is a special circumstance and if a kid wants to get the fuck out of there he should be able to do so without penalty. The players didn’t do anything, how is taking away a bunch of scholarships supposed to help? All that does is ensure the team comes in last place. They still sell out. They still make a shitload of money. The school needed to get hit where it hurts the most–their bank account. The official announcement comes out tomorrow on what the penalties are but I didn’t read anything about the school getting devastated financially. That’s the only way you make them pay for this atrocity, they don’t pay for shit by losing a bowl game and having a shitty team while the ride out the lost scholarship time. The only people that get hurt in that situation are the kids. And by *kids* I’m talking about the players. It seems the *kids* are getting fucked a second time here. I don’t like this one bit……
    Personally, I was for a *lifetime* ban with a possibility to petition for reinstatement after 10 years……..

• ewisco said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm

i was onboard with a 3 year ban with the players being able to transfer. that’s the only way to make it hurt at the university level. that being said though, it’s not like you can transfer the actual scholarship and the income that went to help other athletes/students get into a d1 school is also gone. not sure there’s a good answer on this one except for jail time for the one’s that should have done better.

69. ewisco said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm

so I’m watching the A’s (yes i am! They’re scrappy this year and i love scrappy). Down 4-3 in the 8th, crisp gets on and steals second. no outs. next two batters can’t move him to third. carter hits one to deep third but chavez is able to throw him out. looked very familiar. btw, if Weeks can ever find his swing and get on base regularly, that’s not a half bad lineup, though their averages SUCK.

70. twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Most of us would probably feel a little better about Huff taking over if he wasn’t hitting .154 in the Steve Bilko league…

71. ewisco said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm

btw, i also loved the Edd’s POTD. One of the joys of this place is that there are some truly erudite and funny people. The down side to that is being wedged between Ted and Zumie out of the stable.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Agreed. I saw that and it went POTD instantly

72. Berger said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm

No one asked me on the noon baloon to Saskatoon, but Berger, the JR GM, has some thoughts. (I stole that line from Bud Tucker)

I’d sit Pagan for 2 to 4 games and put Blank Zero in CF.

Belt needs to go to Fresno where he’ll see more fastballs. That would allow him to get his rythm back. Then bring him back.

In the mean time Pill is a right handed power bat. If Pill takes the job, so be it. If he doesn’t, Belt will get his swing back in Fresno at some point this season.

Burris is looking more like a pinch runner than a pinch hitter.

We missed not having Hectror Sanchez today.

People keep telling me about Nat’s statitics. One thing I could do in baseball is hit. Nate is a completely different hitter since late last year. Instead of flicking the ball, ala Rod Carew, he is now more upright and away ferom the plate. He is now driving the ball. Something he picked up during last season. To me, he looks like a guy that has figured a few things out, finally.

And lastly, anybody notice when Nate hits a HR they go a long way? Today he hit one about 6 rows deep. For him that is a cheapy.

73. ewisco said, on July 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Smith one out solo homer in the ninth to tie it. they’re scrappy and they can bang.

• willedav said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:08 pm

interesting that in oaktown, not an HR friendly place like Yanks stadium, the A’s are outslugging NY. Two bombs off Sabathia today and now one off the pen. Also interesting Girardi brings Jeter off the bench to play late inning D and now he winds up at the plate in risp situation vs. Balfour.

74. Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hey, Flav and Loo. I just got wind that Bob Baffert’s COIL is slated to run Thursday in a 100,000 optional claimer at Del Mar. This former G1 winner (last year’s Haskell) has been working up a storm for his return from last October. Bob himself has been touting this 4 yo Ch. colt by Point Given. Bob usually doesn’t do that. But when he does…

Good luck.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I forgot to mention his latest work: 1:10 and 4 Hg Friday at Del Mar. And the track has been playing slower than Alaskan molasses.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Thanks. I actually have nada on the schedule that day, I might hit the track for the fuck of it. I usually only play on big days with big fields (BC, Derby etc ).

• Del Mar Dennis said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Here’s another one for you to watch. If for nothing else sentimental reasons…KAUAI KATIE (by Malibu Moon out of More Than Pretty) broke her maiden first time out Friday at the Spa in resounding style by 12 open lengths. This 2yo Todd Pletcher filly looks to be sumthin’ special. Graded Stks. company is up next for this one. You’ll probably won’t ever get a price on this girl, but she’ll be fun to watch nonetheless.

75. Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I agree with The Eight Percenter (Berger). In the beginning of the year I didn’t think Belt should be playing because I think you should earn your starts and not have them handed to you unconditionally. Do SOMETHING–well, he did start to hit a little for a month and that was great. But now, he’s so lost, I think it’s counter productive to his development to go to the plate right now. Send him down to work on shit. Matt Williams got sent down at least twice, I think.
    Bring Pill back up and let him play till the break. Sabes can still get someone by then. Think about it: Pill can’t do worse than striking out and/or making an out. He might even pop a few which I don’t see Belt doing right now unless he’s in Fresno.

• twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 4:58 pm

There was a competion between him and Huff- which he won hands down. Saying he didn’t earn it is nonsense. Now is a different story. But they’ll probably go with Pablo and Posey a lot at first until Huff is deemed ready.

• twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I don’t remember, who is it that you say did earn it?

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:08 pm

ST is bullshit, that’s a worthless competition. But I didn’t have a problem at all with Belt starting the year as the first baseman (based off the decent yr he had the yr before). The only thing I harped on in ST was that BOTH Huff and Belt wouldn’t be in the OD LU. You were adamant that they would be and when it happened I gave you props for not wavering from that call.
        How’d that work out by the way?

• twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I said what the OD day LU would be- I didn’t call the dumbfuck move to bench Belt after 10 AB or fuck up his swing.
        BTW- YOU posted several times that you agreed with me on where Belt and Huff should be to open the season- you just didn’t think it would happen.

• Flavor said, on July 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I probably did agree with you. It was a sound plan. I didn’t think they would do it because of my own misinterpretation of Bochy’s comments on Nate.
        I felt there were reasons that both should play (Huff’s *odd* year and Belt’s promise from ’11). But I wasn’t adamant about it and I had no problem bailing on both of them when it became clear that it was time to bail. I think Pagan should sit for a few games right now, too. He’s been awful. Am I betraying myself by saying that because he was one of my *guys* to start the season? No, and who cares anyway? It would be best for the team if he sat right now.
        And it would be best for the team if Belt was sent down. And if you want to attribute Belt’s epic failure this year to being sat down after the first 10 at bats and someone told Belt that he would probably say this to you: “Hey Mike, do you think I’m some kind of pussy? I’m no pussy. Stop making up shit about why I’m not hitting this year…”
        But of course, that would be me just guessing what he’d say to you…….

• twinfan1 said, on July 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I haven’t had any problem saying he should sit now. I’ve always been honest of player performance- whether I like him or not. But I’m not going to get dragged into another endless “discusson” with you on this. You end up, as now, misrepresenting what I say, then you go ballistic, then you delete posts, then you say I started it all. Been there done that. I won’t be discussing it with you anymore this evening.