A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

You Say What?

Posted in Uncategorized by chipower9 on July 31, 2012

Okay Flappers, over the past couple of days (probably weeks), we have beat to death what the Giants should do with their line-up. We have discussed ad nauseam who they should trade and for whom. And a couple of days ago, we even had a discussion thread on the Olympics. (I was out and missed that one, so I’ll get my two-cents in now…I dig the Olympics!)

The non-waiver trade deadline in now only hours away. Sabes and crew have been relatively quiet (lots of rumors…little action). We know “what” they want to add, but Marco Scutaro (for Charlie Culberson) has been the sole trade to date. The Bums have added HanRam and Brandon League, and the latest is that Shane Victorino will slip into a uni of the Hated Blue today. With that, I ask you to turn your attention to yet another topic and offer your profound thoughts (as only a Flapper can).

So, regardless of whether the team signs a bat (Hunter Pence anyone), or a closer, or even if Sabes does nothing and the Giants stay as they are, what do you see as the top three (or say up to five) things that are most critical for the Giants to make the playoffs? And if you can list them in priority order, go for it.

My thoughts (not necessarily in ranked order):

• Pablo must return ASAP, stay healthy, and continue to be a force in the middle of the line-up.
  • Blanco, Pagan, and any of the other regulars who have scuffled of late must get back to being consistently productive and stay that way. Granted, players can go through short spells, but I think the regulars must consistently bring it (think key base hit with RISP).
  • The bench must contribute. Nate, Arias, Huff…whoever the hell it is, we need some regular production from our bench (think 2010 and Pat the Bat, Ross or Renteria). It has been so pathetic of late that I almost always cringe any time the Giants bring up a pinch hitter.
  • Tim and Zito must pitch somewhere around .500, collectively, or better.
  • The bullpen has to be “NAILS!” Shit like we saw from Casilla last night just won’t cut it, and Romo has struggled of late.

I purposely left out the other starters, because I will be very surprised if those three do not continue to contribute as they have to date, and also “team health” because that is a given…the team needs to stay healthy.

And You Say What?!

1. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Blanco CF, Theriot 2B, Cabrera LF, Posey C, Scutaro 3B, Belt 1B, Christian RF, Crawford SS, Lincecum RHP
    Berger- you lost a Nate but gained a Pill..

2. Sportdude said, on July 31, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Very good trade. RISP not the only factor (if ANY factor a separate discussion. He is a clear upgrade over what we had in Nate. Now Blanco and Pagan can battle for Center. Also strengthens the bench. Pinch hitting with Christionson or Arias with game on the line is a joke. I hate watching the Sunday Dodger game and knowing the game is over sometimes when the other guys score 3 runs…

3. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Even though I still believe he won’t make it in the bigs, I’m glad to see that Pill is getting another shot.

4. WilcoJoe said, on July 31, 2012 at 5:46 pm

So a tip of my hat to Sabean and company for getting what HAD to be done…Obviously I saw a lot of Pence in Houston, and I can tell you he will be a huge asset to this club…The guy I think he can really help is Belt…Obviously they have similar builds, both are from Texas, and both were top prospects coming into the big leagues…The most striking siimilarity is both are self-proclaimed “akward” ballplayers….Watching Pence run is akin to watching an eight year old girl, chase after the ice cream truck…His route’s back on balls in RF at AT&T could be interesting (entertaining for sure) but he makes the plays more often than not…He has an arm every bit as strong as Nate’s….I remember Pence struggling at times in his rookie season in Houston, I mean really struggling…In many ways I see a lot of Pence in Brandon Belt..

• SanDawg said, on July 31, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Nice analysis. If he has a positive impact on Belt that would be huge. I’m with you on giving kudos to Sabean et al for getting this done. I have my concerns about the direction of the franchise since Bowtie got shown the door and doing nothing here was going to make me feel all the worse about the future. Like many of you already said, I wish Nate the best. It would be great if Manuel can turn him into a solid everyday player.

• eddacker said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Fantastic insight, thanks. I double hope it comes to pass. That may be one of those factors Sabean or the scouts saw that the average fan cannot know.

5. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2012 at 6:25 pm

So what’s the consensus? I’m thinking they couldn’t have done better for a solid RH bat off the bench and it finally frees up regular playing time for Christian..yeah, yeah I know the haters will think they’ve overpaid for a pinch hitter and spot starter, but you have to pay for quality bench help…

• Alleykat said, on July 31, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Yeah well they could of had that extra RH power/Starter /Bench guy Twin if Sabean got off his Ass and inquired about Gaby Sanchez.Freakin would have made a Statement to the Dodgers as well that were takin no prisoners.
      Pence is a great pickup that filled a huge void.But adding Sanchez could have been the KO punch.And didnt you say to me a few days back that no way Sanchez,would leave Miami due to his controllable contract? And i said he would be traded and he did! For nothing bascially.

• twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:57 pm

You nailed it dude..But if the Marlins have given up on him that quicly, it’s spelled NOT GOOD..
        But my Pence post was a joke.

6. sandog said, on July 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Bullpen help would have been nice, but a bat was a big need. I have confidence in Bochy to make chicken salad out of the chicken crap our pen has resembled lately.
    …speaking of Chicken Salad, I made a nice one today—shredded breast meat, diced pickles and celery, shredded mozz cheese, mayo, mustard, and some Frank’s Red Hot sauce. Damn tasty packed between a couple of slices of toasted sourdough.

• eddacker said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:09 pm

hold the mayo and use swiss to share its flavour with the pickles. Love the celery and the Frank’s.

7. Macdog said, on July 31, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Timmy better bring it tonight. Mets’ starter Matt Harvey made his first start last week vs. D-Backs and struck out 11 in 5 1/3 innings, the most Ks ever in a debut by a Mets pitcher. Mets fans already have him in the Hall of Fame.

8. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I though Dickey was going tonight.

9. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Nice statement by Nate.

Melky closed his eyes on that one.

10. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Good God. How did we lose to these guys yesterday?

11. Macdog said, on July 31, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Whatever it takes.

12. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2012 at 7:50 pm

We out dumbed ’em..

13. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Yikes. It’s Duane Kuiper redux, almost.

14. Alleykat said, on July 31, 2012 at 8:20 pm

The one great thing about Hunter Pence that ive seen in the past,even if he looks alittle goofy at the plate,he’s No Rowand with the bat.He can hit and he’s got a gun,will do just fine with inR/F once he gets some games in and they work with him with all the little quirky angles out there.
    Plus Pence never stops HUSTLING” which will only be a plus in helping energize this club right now! He will be having everyone busting their tails more,and won’t be afraid to say something if their not.

15. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Everyone watching beach volleyball?

• willedav said, on July 31, 2012 at 8:52 pm

i’m not into private schools, but kerri walsh from mitty of SJ and stanford is a really nice gal. She was in the shop where I work a number of times before she got married, really down to earth and unassuming. She was a helluva b-ball player too.

16. Macdog said, on July 31, 2012 at 8:56 pm

A run off a DP. Whatever it takes.

17. Macdog said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:13 pm

That was a big-time K there.

18. willedav said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:13 pm

wow wright is frozen….hope that’s a turning point for TL, pretty big out to get right there in that situation.

19. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:15 pm

After about 6 hangers, a beauty..
    It’s too frigging hot up here, and my air is out. I’m going to watch on the porch. GNight..

• eddacker said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I love the way you keep our focus on the game. It is true that at bat could have gone either way. Passed ball, hanger parked in the seats or excellent curve for the backward K

20. Alleykat said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:17 pm

That curveball to freeze David Wright for strike 3 with with the basesloaded,could just be the start of a Timmeh break through the 2nd half.Brillant pitch.

21. snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Nice start by Timmeh. Mets aren’t great, but they’re not suckage either. That last AB vs. Wright is what baseball is all about. Timmeh in a 30 pitch inning got the job done.
    Other observations:
    Justin Christian = the new Burriss. Near friggin auto out.
    Pill, hot in the PCL, but with a .215 BA this year in MLB. Hope he’s got a little more focus going on now.
    Belt takes too many damn strike three called. You gotta swing the bat, kid…

22. eddacker said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:25 pm

In these times of Olympic stories a nice story for my team would be the heroics of TL walking thru all the problems and eventually turning it around. I have always said he has that un-teachable competitiveness inside him that doesn’t let him give up.

Next we get that same result from Belt.
    (all I want for xmas)

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:26 pm

WTF time is it over there? Isn’t the sun about to come up? Time for some bangers and beans…

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Or, some Bubble and Squeak…

• unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Spotted dick?

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Not yet…

• eddacker said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:46 pm

sun is up almost 6, I couldn’t sleep.
        faggots and mash?

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I’m not even going to ask…

23. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Timmy was giving me fits on those last 2 ABs. Got through it somehow. He saved his best pitch of the season for that uncle charlie strike 3.

24. snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Affeldt had a nasty hook going there. When his hook is on, he’s friggin unhittable…

25. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Geez. Blanco and Pagan need to learn the intricacies of baserunning. Theriot has half Blanco’s speed yet makes it easily.

26. snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Mrs. Snarkk and the Snarkkettes are gone for a couple days. I haven’t had a damn piece of red meat in a month on this fish and fish oil diet shit. So, picked up a nice porterhouse and cooked it medium rare plus some pan-roasted yukon golds and sautéed green beens and onions. The avatar dog enjoyed the steak and fat scraps and looked at me like “where the fuck has that been”? I’m slugging the fish oil pill now washed down with another glass of the Cote du Rhone. With Timmeh set for the win, I’m on a cholesterol/Giants high…

27. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Scooter!!!

28. Macdog said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Yay Marco. At least Hairston can’t tie it now.

29. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:43 pm

niiiiiiice…

30. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Can finally say, ballgame!!!

31. snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Alright, stopped the bleeding with a good win. Even though the Mets gave us two runs out of four. POTG = Timmeh. Scutaro definitely is proving to be a good pickup; I knew he would be. Pence is giving good karma and he just arrived at the Park to see the end of the game…

• Macdog said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:49 pm

And the Dodgers are 3 outs away from losing.

32. eddacker said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Affeldt with 2 innings 20 pitches 15 for strikes. SWeeeeeT

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 10:00 pm

He was dealing tonight…

33. eddacker said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:50 pm

unusual for MLB I am seeing the wrap with ami and K & K

34. snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Amazing how you can have a 36-year old like Scutaro getting some good shit done with the glove and a solid plate approach, vs. last year we had Miggy at 37? and the other Cabrera at 35+something, and they were both just done, done, done….

• zumie said, on July 31, 2012 at 10:18 pm

When we get Pablo back, the infield will have some nice depth. The outfield’s better now that Pence is here. When we get Sanchez back, the bench will be better. The closer situation is unsettling, but the way Affeldt pitched tonight makes things calm down a bit. With no player added, we’re going to need Casilla getting his act together. Romo will be fine; that slider gets crushed once in a great while, but he’s been consistent overall.

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Sabes will most surely pick up an arm before the 8/31 waiver deadline, plus nobody is talking about Mota. He’s lurking in silence somewhere in Florida, I think he’s definitely in their plans to come back, but nobody’s talking about that. He’ll be fresh, whether he’ll be good is another story…

35. snarkk said, on July 31, 2012 at 10:29 pm

And, BTW, thank Keereist that Dempster went to the Rangers, not to LA…

36. TedSpe said, on July 31, 2012 at 11:10 pm

REVRET!!!!

37. TedSpe said, on July 31, 2012 at 11:12 pm

?

38. TedSpe said, on July 31, 2012 at 11:32 pm

This truly sucks. At my work, I can still read oneflapdown77 but I can’t comment. Obviously a boon for the rest of ya’ll but it makes me crazy.
    Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

39. stixwiz said, on July 31, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Really liking Scutaro. He seems like the too easily overlooked hell for leather, ballz to the walls type who has the word “rally” written all over him. New roles for new players. Pence as the Enforcer, batting fifth right after Buster at cleanup. Drops Pablo to sixth. Panda Express is the name of an oriental takeout chain. So we go from the Hunter as the Enforcer, followed by Panda Express and then Scutaro as the Extender ~ like in extending the rally.

Idea expanding into two pairs of doubledown twins. Blanco and Pagan taking turns in CF and leading off ~ a bit of creative competition, perhaps. Our little Angel seems to need such a goad. El Tiburon Blanco should give him a run for his money. Well maybe its a trio in the middle infield, with Scutaro playing at least four and possibly five games of every seven, alternating, depending on who’s hot and who’s not with Crawford and Theriot. When Marco plays he bats seventh, when he doesn’t The Riot hits in that slot. Eighth is reserved for the scorpion stinger batting eighth.

Two and three slots left to go. Melky and Buster are already in place batting third and cleanup respectively. Who bats second? Belt, of course. Walker B. Belt. Fourth highest OBP on the team. Decent speed on the basepaths for a tall, lanky Texan. That other Texan, the Enforcer, needs a deputy, a guy to get on base a lot and set up the RBI chain. BB9 will see some pitches he can drive with Melky, Buster, Hunter, Pablo and Scutaro/The Riot lining up behind him. That should up both the BA and the SP for our first baseman.

Meanwhile, back on the mound, the rotation may finally be rotating into place as Timmy toughs it out, even after giving up hits and base runners. Sure, its only the Mets and missing a couple parts to boot. But a new pattern is developing for #55 as he’s becoming good more often than not. He’s got about eleven more starts. Timmy/team wins six of them and same-same in Zito’s starts and this team, now about to field its potentially most potent lineup since perhaps ’02; a Rotation which could end up with all five in double figures for wins; a bullpen still containing some moving parts and a generally steadily improving defense; could well be in the process of becoming another Halloween Machine.

40. TedSpe said, on August 1, 2012 at 12:49 am