A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

I could…I really could…but I won’t

Posted in Uncategorized by tedspe on August 1, 2012

I could write about the Giants win last night, stopping a season worst 5 game slide…but I won’t. I could make some asinine arguement about TIMMY’S BAAAAAACK…but I won’t. I could make some pithy comments about the Hunter Pence trade (seriously, see ya Nate. Thanks for 2010. God bless ya and good luck, chief)…but I won’t. I could mention the fucking Dodgers lost thus putting the Giants in 1st place SOLO…SANS COMPETITION…but I won’t.

No, you gentlemen(?) will certainly cover all those bases (rimshot) as the day goes by just as we all did last night. So I will simply go where I wish to go this morning.

The last time I did one of these things the subject was actors who looked like they could really play pro-baseball. Being the unimaginative twit that I am, today will be the opposite. Baseball players who look like they can really be actors. On that last thread some Flappers already brought up pro-baseball players who achieved good careers in film and TV. Namely Bob Uecker, Chuck Connors and Kurt Russell. But the facts show the successful crossover is extremely rare. Football players thrive better in this area for whatever reason. I have my theories but that would make this thread go on forever.

Now, other Flappers mentioned Babe Ruth playing himself in THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES. What a lot of people don’t know is that The Bambino actually had a short but respectable film career as an actor while he was still a ballplayer. Sure, he always played a guy named Babe Ruth who was a baseball player but “playing yourself” in movies isn’t as easy as it sounds. It’s not like being yourself for an interview. You have to memorize your lines, pick up your cues, know your blocking, be prepared for multiple takes, etc. but primarily to be good you also have to appear natural. As much as I love Sergio Romo (Monday’s game not withstanding) and his little Giants game promos, they *are* a little awkward (that’s actually a lot of their charm). As game as Romo is, he’s a bit stiff, mannered and obviously out of his element. And Brian Wilson. Despite his obvious love of the spotlight, frankly he looks a bit stiff in all his media appearances as well. In fact, only Buster Posey shows a certain amount of natural presence in his spots.

Willie Mays appeared as “himself” on the occasional sitcom. Probably the best was a cameo on BEWITCHED and the joke was the reason he was so good was because he was a witch himself. And I’m sure you all remember the SEINFELD two part episode with Keith Hernandez. Now HE was good. That’s a guy that who took an acting lesson or two. And he’s also been on LAW AND ORDER and a couple other things.

No, most of these guys are one-offs, mainly because they all suck(ed) as actors. Sandy Koufax on DENNIS THE MENACE, Wade Boggs on CHEERS, Mark McGwire on MAD ABOUT YOU, Johnny Bench on THE PARTIDGE FAMILY. Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris got to share some screen time with Doris Day and Cary Grant in THAT TOUCH OF MINK delivering striking performances (with apologies to Dorothy Parker) that ran the gamut of emotions, from A to B. Former Giant Royce Clayton just played former Giant Miguel Tejada in MONEYBALL and did just okay. Even managers try to get in on the act. Sparky Anderson on W.K.R.P., Leo Durocher with the hat trick appearing on MR. ED, THE MUNSTERS and THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES. Trust me..ain’t NO ONE gonna ask Bochy to say a few lines on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

But no one besides Uecker, Connors and Russell seemed to have been able to make a career of it. Don Drysdale did pretty well in the acting arena and showed a natural affinity playing in everything from LEAVE IT TO BEAVER and THE BRADY BUNCH to THE RIFLEMAN and THEN CAME BRONSON. Quite a few appearences. But still…primarily a ballplayer.

However, I am grossly neglecting one guy…

Johnny Berardino!!!

11 years in the big leagues, the Show for crying out loud, with the St. Louis Browns, the Indians and the Pirates. Sonavabitch also took 3 years outta baseball to be in your World War II!!!! a FUCKING WAR HERO!!! (it was a big war, a major war, we went in to win, we wanted to win..we won) and still an acting career that lasted between 1948 and 1993!!! Including 30 years alone on GENERAL HOSPITAL!!!

I didn’t mention him till now because, well frankly, I didn’t think anyone, with maybe the exception of Loo and/or twin, would even know who the hell this numbnut was.

Ya’ll know me. I could have gone on forever so I left a lot of guys out. Did I miss any of your favorites? Or better yet, what major league baseball player *really* dropped a steaming load of horse manure on celluloid?

1. willedav said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:06 am

ted, I only remember Berardino from G-H but I do recall hearing about him being a real ballplayer for a while…mom and sis watched that show every afternoon, for years. Must be something in gene pool about soaps, because telenovelas and their counterparts are also heavily followed throughout latin america and asia too. And of course have brought yet another dynamic into SF politics—mexico too.
    OK, I’ve seen this statement “nate thanks for the ring/2010” from a few others, however….Nate in 2010 had the following numbers: 250 ABs 3 HRs 17 Rbis, for the entire season. He hit .242, .311 OB .366 slugging, for a total OPS of .676. Even lowering the bar as we have so often for Nate, nothing to brag about. Post season: 2 for 12 with a walk, scored 2 drove in 1 and struck out 5 times. Let’s just say there were a lot more deserving people to thank for what they did in 2010 than Nate.
    Maybe in honor of the cultists flav can post stats from now on comparing pence and nate rest of season. Hey, I’ve said for a long time he’d be better off in warm weather hitters parks that more favor lefties—but if he had to go in order for us to get Pence, that’s a no brainer.

• TedSpe said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:09 am

wiilliedav, I won’t argue with you about Nate’s 2010 numbers. But I even thank Zito for 2010

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:12 am

Pence is an upgrade at the plate but not so much in the field. I tried to post his hit chart from 2009-2012 but can’t figure it our. It’s in the media area if anyone knows how to do that. Lots of RF, CF HRs.

3. Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:28 am

Ted– I’m blown away with your screen knowledge of former baseball players. And the fact that you were still at work last night at almost midnight, and yet still found a way to churn out some chedda’ for the Flap, well I appreciate it greatly…….
    This isn’t totally in line with your thread but any time I get a chance to search through some old 2003 SF Giants commercials on youtube, I do so. I’ve got no idea who this dude is or why the Giants ever stopped having him do spots for the team. He is HIL-FUCKING-ARIOUS. I wanna say he made about 10 commericals or so back in 2003 and then, poof, gone……..

• TedSpe said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:49 am

I remember this guy too. Those *were* fucking hilarious. Well, off to work. I’ll be reading you, lads. Just won’t get to comment for a while

4. zumiee said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:34 am

Excellent overview of the baseball players-as-actors topic, Ted. What strikes me is that baseball players aren’t asked to make cameos much anymore, or even national commercial endorsements much. Baseball players just aren’t that “in demand.” The sport isn’t as popular with the masses as in earlier generations, and the players are generally less iconic now, even with all the media outlets.

5. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:44 am

What about Joe DiMaggio as Mr. Coffee? It’s not acting, but it is, sort of.

I vaguely recall Willie Mays vs. Mickey Mantle on a show called “Brains Vs. Brawn.” It involved hitting — something like home run derby — and answering questions. Can I be dreaming this? Could it be a mere fiction of memory?

Don Drysdale was on Donna Reed, I think. That sounds awkward.

• Nipper said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:52 am

Yeah I liked Mr. Coffee ads. Joe was good.

• ewisco said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:05 am

i could get on donna reed. no, no, no, leave the pearls on.

• willedav said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:06 am

Yogi and Aflac….hell, yogi and anything.

6. willedav said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:03 am

I thought cody ross looked the most into it on some of the promos, and cain wasn’t bad either. Best part of the wilson ones were the two little girls..”and your hair….it’s dumb.” maybe we can recruit mrs vogs…
    With the title, LeBron is going to be everywhere. He was funnier years ago, in the sprite commercials and the other ones where he played 4 guys, including the old dude with the white beard. Hopefully someday soon peyton manning goes the way of brett favre
    And so much for momentum: hanley with second consecutive 0-4 last night (now batting .246) as AZ hammers dodgers SP again in a 8-2 thrash in the latrine. Capuano gives up two bombs and falls to 10-7. dodgers sending barney to the hill today in afternoon tilt trying to avoid the sweep. Giants have Cain on the mound tonite vs. Niese.
    Something I hadn’t thought of: what happens to Scut when Pablo gets back full time? How many starts a week do you think he gets, and at whose expense?

• eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:17 am

Ryan will get a well deserved blow for sure. I can’t see him doing ss, but he may spell Brandon there. Will he be a base hit pinch hitter? we shall see

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’d guess that we’ll see a lot of Scutaro at third, Pablo at first, and also Scutaro at SS against LHers. Belt, Crawford, and Arias will all lose playing time. I think that Belt will lose the most time.

7. Macdog said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:05 am

Koufax and Drysdale weren’t the only Dodgers from that era to get into show biz. My favorite was seeing Jim Lefebvre, a ROY in ’65 and later manager of the Mariners and Cubs, show up on Batman as one of the Riddler’s henchmen, with John Astin filling in for Frank Gorshin. In the 2-parter, it was Lefebvre who led Batman and Robin onto a giant cake, and after the Riddler threw a switch, the Dynamic Duo found themselves sinking in quicksand.

A quick IMDB search showed Lefebvre also turned up on an episode of Gilligan’s Island with teammate Al Ferrara, both playing natives from another island.

And who could forget Wes Parker making an appearance on an episode of The Brady Bunch, playing himself as the boyfriend of a teacher that Greg has a crush on.

8. ewisco said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:07 am

there was Willie Mays in the public service commercials: “Say Hey Kids, these are blasting caps. do not bite them. they will blow your head off.”

9. SanDawg said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:13 am

Didn’t Wes Parker have a solid appearance on the Brady Bunch as well? Wes was kind of a unique dude—-only played for LA, retired relatively young, was perhaps the original 1B who was somewhat of a finesse guy—great glove, productive, but not a masher. Sort of set the stage for guys like Keith Hernandez and JT and mayhaps even our beloved BB9. There were probably 1B’s like that long before Parker, but he was the first I recall from my era as a fan.
    Yesterday was such a great day to be a fan. We got the damn Pence deal done, we stopped the streak, TIm had a nice game, Affeldt was solid. I’m gonna forget I ever saw that Ray Sadecki sticker in OB.
    Glad to see Pence is going to wear #8, same number that is on my(game-worn) Yamid Haad road jersey that Flav loves so much. I think Eugenio was the last Giant to wear #8.

• eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:19 am

I miss Jon saying E U hen eo

10. eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:14 am

How did we not include Seinfeld? Jerry was a Mets fan irl, but on at least a dozen shows it was the Yankmees.
    One story line had George Constanza working for Steinbrenner and there were 2 episodes worth of Keith Hernandez. Although I liked the guy, he was a stiff as an actor.
    That story line is comedy gold as he is accused of spitting on Kramer (and Newman) after they razzed him after a game. Later Keith reveals there was a second Yank involved:

Newman.: Wow, it was McDowell.
    Jerry: But why? Why McDowell?
    Kramer: Well, maybe because we were sitting in the right field stands cursing at him in the bullpen all game.
    Newman: He must have caught a glimpse of us when I poured that beer on his head.

I will never forget those episodes.

• sandog said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:18 am

Great episode! Love the part where Newman recounts how he heckled Hernandez by saying “nice game, pretty boy!”

11. sandog said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:16 am

Damnit MacDog—you scooped me on Wes Parker! Love the Batman reference. Talk about a show that was ahead of its time. In my book, Batman is not Christian Bale, or Val Kilmer, or George Clooney, or Michael Keeton. Adam Fucking West IS Batman!

• Macdog said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:38 am

I’m with you there. The 60s show got it right. These Batman movies are unwatchable because they take themselves too damn seriously.

• willedav said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:17 am

yeah, and julie newmar, yeoowww! bat boy was mighty tempted..she’d have ate boy wonder alive.

12. eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:24 am

Olympics for today (all listed are finals):
    weightlifting (medium sized people both M & W)
    Table Tennis, Archery, bicycle road time trials M, judo (bigger weight classes), rowing, swimming, fencing, diving M, Beach VB is into the quarter finals both M & W.
    Mens individual all-around gymnastics is on with “The Man” Kohei Uchimura, Japan who won silver in 2008 and has won the World Championships each year since. He is awesome on every apparatus and has the hairiest arm pits.

enjoy. There is a woman swimming from Aurora, CO area who is dedicating her performances and medals celebrations to the people impacted by the fires and that other thing that happened.

13. Alleykat said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hardly the “Dyanmic Duo” of Batman & Robin ,with the Phillies version of Frandsen&Shierholtz.Good luck with that combo.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:54 am

Frandsen went yard last night. That has to be encouraging for Nate . . .

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:04 am

If you look at how Rowand and Werth fared after leaving Philly, Nate could do quite well thare.

14. Bozo said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:53 am

Going a bit off topic but staying within the entertainment and baseball worlds. This month, New Orleans celebrates the birth of Louis Armstrong with their Satchmo Summerfest. I was reading an article in Offbeat, a NOLA monthly music magazine about Louis owning a team called The Secret Nine http://tinyurl.com/c4tg929
    Now here was a man that could walk just about any street in the world and be recognized, owning a team that to this day, people aren’t sure who played on it.

Come to find out other musician’s had teams during the 30s and 40s. Unlike the Secret Nine these teams were usually comprised of the touring musicians themselves. Back then most towns had a team and the musicians had the afternoon off, so it made sense, let’s have a game. How much fun would it have been to be able to see your local nine going against teams from the Cab Calloway, Lionel Hampton, Count Basie bands? I guess at one time the bands had what they called The Big Band League. “The Father of Bluegrass,” Bill Monroe had a team, so maybe there was a Bluegrass league as well.

Baseball and music, hot dogs and beer, it sounds so right to me. Now when I hear Cab’s Hi-De-Ho or maybe a song by Satch at a ballgame, it’ll take on a whole new meaning for me.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:56 am

The only problem was the 7th inning stretch often lasted an hour and a half as the bands would start jamming . . .

• Bozo said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:17 am

Not to mention the dancing girls Chuck.
        I think Bill “Bojangles” Robinson was a mascot of the Giants when they were in New York and would do a tap on top of the dugout during the seventh inning stretch sometimes. He also owned an interest in the New York Black Yankees

• willedav said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

wasn’t charley pride a ball player too in the negro leagues? pitched, I think.
      coulda got into a 7th inning stretch with charlie parker for sure. and you wouldn’t have to put up with god bless america or neil diamond either.

• Bozo said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

willie – I didn’t know that about Charley Pride. I doubt Charlie Parker played ball (I could be wrong), although Diz was in Cab’s band for awhile so I imagine he played on that team.

• eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I remember Charlie Pride having a baseball connection so I looked it up.

Pride is one of the few African-American country musicians to have had considerable success in the country music industry and only the second African American to have been inducted as a member of the Grand Ole Opry.
        In 2010, Pride became a special investor and minority owner of the Texas Rangers Major League Baseball club.

the rest of the story:
        Though he also loved music, one of Pride’s lifelong dreams was to become a professional baseball player. In 1952, he pitched for the Memphis Red Sox of the Negro American League. He pitched well, and, in 1953, he signed a contract with the Boise Yankees, the Class C farm team of the New York Yankees. During that season, an injury caused him to lose the “mustard” on his fastball, and he was sent to the Yankees’ Class D team in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. Later that season, while in the Negro leagues with the Louisville Clippers, he and another player (Jesse Mitchell), were traded to the Birmingham Black Barons for a team bus. “Jesse and I may have the distinction of being the only players in history to be traded for a used motor vehicle,” Pride mused in his 1994 autobiography.
        He pitched for several other minor league teams, his hopes of making it to the big leagues still alive. Pride appeared to be advancing to a career in baseball, but the Army derailed this. After serving two years in the military, he tried to return to baseball. Though hindered by an injury to his throwing arm, Pride briefly played for the Missoula Timberjacks of the Pioneer League (a farm club of the Cincinnati Reds) in 1960, and had tryouts with the California Angels (1961) and the New York Mets (1962) organizations, but was not picked up by either team. He worked construction in Helena, Montana during this time. When it became apparent that he was not destined for greatness on the baseball diamond, Pride pursued a music career.]
        On June 5, 2008, Pride, his brother, Mack “The Knife” Pride, and 28 other living former Negro league players were “drafted” by each of the 30 Major League Baseball teams in a recognition of the on-field achievements and historical relevance of 30 mostly forgotten Negro league stars. Pride was picked by the Texas Rangers (with whom he has had a long affiliation) while his brother was taken by the Colorado Rockies.

Fascinating

• chipower9 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

Excellent stuff, John. Thanks for sharing the story on The Secret Nine.

15. chipower9 said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:23 am

Great job, ted…and you are right…when you pulled out the Johnny Berardino, I said who in the hell is that?! (Probably not alone in that regards.)

Well, great to see Lincecum have a good start. I mentioned him and Zito yesterday (being .500 between the two of them) as being key. Small sample but Tim is now 2-1 in four starts since the AS break. If he can finish anywhere near .500 (5-11 now) that will be huge.

16. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hard to believe, and correct me if I’m wrong, but they didn’t use any real ballplayers in The Fan? Candlestick was the setting. and the Wesley Snipes character was obviously Barry Bonds, but it was a decent enough movie regarding fandom, and the creepier aspects of it. Hokey-assed ending, but another great character study by De Niro of a guy slipping towards a bad fate. A la Travis Bickle.

17. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:41 am

Yeah, Berardino rang faint bells in my memory, but I had no idea he was a ballplayer. As with some of you, GH was a staple at the home front when I was a kid, so I remember some of that. Dr Steve Hardy . . .

Crazier still, Berardino was part of the Our Gang series when he was a kid . . . so he was an actor before he was a ballplayer

18. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 10:49 am

Nice thread, Ted. These are definitely topiics no one else would have thought of! I think the longer the unstable boys ride, the weirder these topics will get.

• chipower9 said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:08 am

The UN-stable boys…good one. I think it has been a nice mix of topics.

• eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:26 am

hey, hangtown, when is Blade do back?

• chipower9 said, on August 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Hey Ed – not sure. He had asked me to babysit his Flap team while he was out galavanting around with his girl, but I coudn’t do it. Must be killing the Flap League guys, what with no daily weather report. (Insert gay-assed smiley face here.)

• eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hope he hurries, CJ pitches tomorrow and he is on the bench

19. twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

Gee, I think every one has been covered already.I have nothing to add. See ya later.

20. eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:22 am

And we have a new team (country) to root for. Netherlands! whose uniforms and tennis shoes are orange and black. Very stylish (insert gay-ass smiley face).

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

I hear they have a very hot field hocky team. I guess I need to start a Hot Women of the Olympics page.

• eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:08 pm

sooner the better, no swimmers allowed, British medals girls are.

21. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Flav, those commercials are killer. I LOVED that shit back then.

22. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm

This one STILL makes me laugh

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:35 pm

that was almost the one I used as an example here at the Flap. You can tell they just started improvising the end of that one. And this is how sick I was for those ’03 spots: The original one has the dude spanking Lou Seal’s ass like 2 more times with this hilarious, maniacal look on his face. They cut that part out after showing it for like a week. Too bad, it was classic. I think it might have been too “S and M” for the network guys…….
      The “Ray Ray from across the Bay” commercial was the best, too….

• chipower9 said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I remember these…I agree Chuck…that one cracks me up…some funny shit!

23. Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Lost in all the back slapping Giants fans have been doing since the Pence pick up is an ongoing problem. We have no closer past Casilla. And while I have and continued to support using him, that ship might have sailed. In fact, I might be wrong to think he can still do the job. But I do still have confidence in him.
    I was a HUGE proponent of getting Broxton and then he ended up going to the Reds (to pitch in a NON-SAVE situation in front of Chapman).
    We should have gotten Broxton or someone who could fill the void if, in fact, Casilla can’t do the job the way he did it in the first half of the season.
    Affeldt did fine last night but he’s not the answer. Neither is Romo who is best in the role he’s always had–used sparingly in the 8th inning against righties.
    I’m telling you, this could end up being a huge problem the last 2 months of the season. I’m praying that Casilla sorts his issues out and gets back to closing the 9th without incidence……..

• ewisco said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm

casilla’s issues seem mental, stemming from the walkoff against the A’s. up until then he was nails. since then, not so much. but i agree that it can be an issue going forward. It would have taken a LOT for me to build up any confidence in broxton though. I think he’s past his sell by date.

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:58 pm

agree that he’s not the pitcher he once was but he closed out 23 games this year on a bad team and he was keeping the ball in the park—only 1 bomb given up on the year. After watching Casilla’s act recently, balls kept in the yard would be a welcomed change……

24. Alleykat said, on August 1, 2012 at 1:43 pm

God,Knbr’s Rod Brooks is such an idiot.He was sayin when Pablo comes back he will be the 1B? WTF ,Sabean even said yesterday on that’s right Knbr,the Panda experience at 1st is over.Get a fuckin clue Rod!!!!!!!!!!

25. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I sure hope so, AK. My thoughts are just that. No more 1st for Panda. Scooter is NOT going to play 3rd once Panda is back. Scoots will be a middle IFer. There’s been posts around here saying they think Panda goes back there, but I sincerely hope not. Much like the posts saying Buster goes to 1st. Shit ain’t gonna happen.

Yeah, unless the 9th inning provides 4 lefties in a row, Affeldt ain’t closing shit. This is a bit of a dilemma. League was out there. He cetainly has the gas, but not much else. Surely not the results. 19 walks (and 48 hits) in 44 innings is pretty bad. As is the whip of 1.50. Broxton’s better, but even he scares the shit out of me.

Casilla gets a few more shots, then I wonder if they give Hembree a look-see.

26. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:21 pm

So who is the better right fielder Pence or Cabrera?

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Cabrera plays LF.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I know that chuck. From what I have read Pence may have some adventures in the OF. Maybe Cabrera would be better in RF.

• chipower9 said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I think Pence will get his shot in RF. Unless he just pisses all over himself…I think that is where he will be.

On the closer discussion – a couple of weeks ago when some where throwing around the need for a closer, I wasn’t buying it. Now? Well, I think Casila can still do the job, and agree that most of it is mental. We may see that ol’ “closer by committee” tact more, too. But I think Bochy will give Casila his shots…if he fails…not sure what in the hell we’ll do. Picking-up a closer in August with the waiver-wire requirement will be problematic.

27. Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Pence has got a better arm (according to Wilco it’s as good as Nate’s) so I would suspect they just have him play RF–I’m really interested in seeing how all of this affects Pagan. We’ve seen the *good* Pagan and the *crazy* Pagan but I don’t think we’ve gotten a taste of the *bad* Pagan. With his impending free agency I can’t imagine he’s gonna be too cool riding the pine half the time from here on out……..

28. Reginald said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Agree about Casilla. In the end, I think he’s going to Blowenitez our chances for a playoff. He’s better off in the 7th or 8th. Those blown saves add up in one’s mind and I think he’s not one to just forget and move on. I can see it in his body language.

29. ewisco said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm

1. Gregor Blanco (L) CF
    2. Ryan Theriot 2B
    3. Melky Cabrera (S) LF
    4. Buster Posey C
    5. Hunter Pence RF
    6. Marco Scutaro 3B
    7. Brett Pill 1B
    8. Joaquin Arias SS
    9. Matt Cain RHP

• chipower9 said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Hmmm…interesting line-up.

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm

well, they are clearly going with the “bat your best 5 first” LU.

30. zumiee said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Good stuff, Ed, on Charlie Pride. Biographies are very interesting. I’m reading one about Lefty Gomez at the moment. Cool book. A rural Nor. Cal. kid who ended up in the Big Apple pitching for the Yanks.

31. zumiee said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm

The few thousand in the seats boo the Dodgers as they are losing 4-0.

32. zumiee said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:48 pm

While I wasn’t noticing, the Snakes slithered back into the division race.

33. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Over his career Pagan has typically picked it up a bit in August so unless he wants the Schierholtz treatment now is the time. Not bad to have a switch hitting option of the bench though.

SPLIT G AB HR SB CS AVG OBP SLG
    April 95 330 6 10 3 0.239 0.303 0.373
    May 98 326 5 26 4 0.344 0.397 0.466
    June 96 317 3 16 5 0.281 0.346 0.394
    July 142 467 11 24 5 0.259 0.303 0.424
    August 105 387 12 23 9 0.276 0.31 0.444

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm

If it were my decision, I’d give the CF job to Pagan full time for at least another month. There’s no reason he should be slumping. It’s just a long slump. And Blanco would be a better bench player by a country mile.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm

With the addition of Pence I would rather see Blanco in CF for his defense. Even more so once Sandoval comes back. I checked out their defensive numbers but it was just a spaghetti bowl of nonsense to me. Head to head offensive comparison is interesting though. Other than OBP is there much of a difference?

H/AB R HR RBI SB AVG OBP
        Angel Pagan 103/375 42 5 35 17 0.275 0.319
        Gregor Blanco 69/285 45 5 26 18 0.242 0.336

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm

sorry, I can’t seem to figure out inserting tables or pics

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm

it’s difficult to do unless it’s in a main thread and it’s easy to fuck up the blog if you try to do it and don’t do it right. So, I’m cool with the way you did it…

34. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm

If Blanco gets starts, Pagan’s going to pout. I don’t care who they put there as long as one of them gets hot. Or even lukewarm.

35. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 3:52 pm

When Blanco was rolling, the team was kicking ass.

36. eddacker said, on August 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm

GOOD LUCK TONIGHT
    GO GIANTS

(anyone know where berger and dmd are? I left something in the cave)

• Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Is there a door on the cave? Your POTD, while epic. left me wanting more. Like, how could you knock on a door to a cave? I thought you just rolled right into the mouth of the cave and, you know, you were in it……

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Maybe it’s a whine cave.

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Your Nate bobblehead? The one the swings and misses?

37. Flavor said, on August 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Chuck, regarding the team rollin’ as Blanco rolled…..We lost Pablo for the month of May and that could have ben devastating if not for the fact that Blanco and Pagan both went off in May. Obviously, Melky did too, but for Blanc’s and Pag’s, May was literally the only solid month either of them put up this year. I guess if they were only going to give us one good month, that was the one we needed it. Although we are now in yet another *Pablo-free** stretch and with neither of *The May Boys* doing shit lately (or since May) I suppose it’s a good time for Pence to come aboard……

38. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Yeah, it was so easy to get used to that production from both of them. When it went away, that sucked. But like you said, Panda came back to pick up the slack.

Yeah, I think the absence of Panda really drove getting Pence. Or at least made it a bigger priority. Are they really saying 2-3 weeks instead of the 15 day DL for Panda?

39. Salty said, on August 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Az sweeps the Bums. Wow, so much for the Hanley bump

40. Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 5:59 pm

The cave has two new inhabitants. Pence and Pill! I had to tell Pence that just because he is a Hunter, he needs to play well with the Baby Giraffe, the Panda, and the Horse or TheRiot could cause a stir.

41. Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I just heard Nate is 2 for 3 with a homer. Is that true?

• Macdog said, on August 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

2-4, but yes, he has a HR.

42. paulinasia said, on August 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm

August seems (in my recollection) to have been a problematic month for the Giants, both in 2010 and last year. In 2010, a terrific July and good September book-ending that bad August saved it for them; last year the hole was just too deep for even a decent September to save it. So here we are at the start of August again, a bit reloaded with Pence on board and awaiting Pablo’s return. Sometimes adding a good player somehow makes everyone else a better player. That didn’t happen with Beltran last year, but I could see it happening more with Pence, as long as he’s not “trying too hard”. He’s an odd duck to watch (I saw a lot of Phillie games on the tube when I was visiting my folks in PA earlier this season) but a totally different (translation: more positive and participatory) attitude than Beltran seemed to bring. Looking at the Dogs… A lot of talent on that team, and the sweep here had to make some folks nervous. Yet while they do have the swagger, they don’t seem to be a tightly knit group the way the Giants often appear to be, which can cause a couple of losses to turn into a downward spiral. Hanley was a great pickup for them but wouldn’t be surprised if the “bump” was short-lived.

About the closer. I think it was Henry who said he wouldn’t be surprised (if Casilla continues to be shaky) if Sabean tries a waiver wire trade for Heath Bell, thinking that Bell’s high salary would stop other teams from blocking him. I’d say that’s not likely to happen, but one of Sabean’s strengths has been waiver wire trades for even just the last month of the season. I’d guess he’ll pull off something along those lines again.

43. paulinasia said, on August 1, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I also think a real key to these last two months is someone establishing himself as a good consistent “make things happen” lead off hitter again. Everything else in the lineup seems to fall into place. Lofton provided that in ’02… Torres as we know… and Blanco looked like the guy earlier. I don’t care who it is (Blanco would still be my bet, but it could be Pagan) but someone needs to step up. Really don’t want to see Bochy having to trot out lineups that are “trying” someone new at lead off every other game (Scutaro, Christian, etc.).

• Berger said, on August 1, 2012 at 6:48 pm

My friend Renojim blogs on the SF Giants web site. He said Mets fans kept going on the site at the beginning of the year and said Pagan can’t hit in the lead-off spot but does OK in the middle somewhere.

44. Macdog said, on August 1, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I’d like to see Scutaro at leadoff, he’s got plenty of experience doing it. Plus it appears Blanco isn’t going to turn it around anytime soon, although I hope he proves me wrong.

45. WilcoJoe said, on August 1, 2012 at 6:43 pm

For all those frustrated with Bochy’s inability to keep Belt in the lineup on a consistent basis, Nate expressed the same concern…Check out the link Pavlovic posted today with Comcast Philly..http://bit.ly/OEVFOP

46. WilcoJoe said, on August 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I had never seen those 2003 Giants commercials before…Obvioulsy living in Texas, I don’t get the commercials on the MLB package…The one with Grissom, “Where the hell is Bonds going to play” is fucking classic.

47. snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised a bit if Nate takes off as an offensive player. Maybe a little due to the bandbox effect of Philly, but more attributable to being out from under Bochy. I wish him well…

48. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Thanks for coming and drive home safely.

Fuckers first HR of the year. He beat Chuck’s luck at the whorehouse.

49. snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Alright, we let ’em have one homer.
    That’s enough…

50. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Forced to watch via the Mets announcers, who are good. Can’t say the same of Cain so far tonight. C’mon, Horse! Tejada’s 2nd career HR, first in 600+ ABs.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Someone here predicted that the other Tejada would hit .270/15/70 for us last year.
      That’s even worse than predicting Keanu Reeves ever winning the Best Actor Oscar.

51. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Nate homered in his Phillies’ debut. Happy for him. And they won.

52. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm

During commercial, let me note that I bought the new baseball stamps: Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Larry Doby (deserves the ink), and Willie Stargell. Good graphics and good write-ups on the back. Buy ’em. They need the money. Buy 623,788 of them.

53. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm

OK. Blanco gets on base. That’s his job. Get on.

54. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Doesn’t Theriot look like Tony LaRussa’s young estranged nephew?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Since Nipper’s not around, allow me to respond to your last comment for him.
      Woof!

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Nice greeting for the Huntsman. Gee, no pressure.

56. Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Pence? What a shitty trade. Fire Sabean now.

57. Salty said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Crap. We have to start worrying about Cain now?

58. WilcoJoe said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I love Kruk and Kuip but I at times I really get sick of Kruk’s schtick…If he know’s so much about the arm slot issues, why the fuck isn’t he calling Bochy and Rags from the booth…”Hold on folks, let me call Rags to get him out to the mound. Cain’s arms slot is a little low.”

59. twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I think Nate should do well in Philly and I also wish him well- but it will be the ballpark as it clearly was for many others. He got every chance in the world here.

60. Bozo said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Sweet DP

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm

WTF do you about a DP being sweet or not? Since when were you crowned the Prince of Honey?
      FUCK YOU, BOZO!!!

• Bozo said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm

A strike em out throw em out DP has always been sweet in my book . “WTF do you about a DP being sweet or not? ”

Don’t fuck with me Dennis or I’ll get your number from Berger and start a whole Alex Smith is the RH bat we need.

61. zumiee said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm

It’s kind of amusing sometimes to hear athletes’ inflated opinions of their own talent level. For example, Nate.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Well, one day away and he’s smokin’. I’ll give him the rest of this season to show what he can do away from Bochy, then it would be fair to make an assessment of whether he was justified in wanting to get the hell out…

• zumiee said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Nate’s a nice role player. If the Phillies are starting Nate and Frandsen, well….good luck with that, Philly.

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm

That is something that will be impossible for you to do. Saying “Maybe a little due to the bandbox effect of Philly” is totally ridiculous.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Like I said, allow him the courtesy of playing at least two months, not one game, with Philly, before passing judgment on whether the change of scenery improves his game. To do otherwise is ridiculous and shows gross prejudice on its face…

• Smokey said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Snarrk, are you saying you think Bochy should have continued to play Nate in May instead of Blanco?

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Bochy’s treatment of Nate is a multi year palette. Earlier this year is just a part of it. As far as I remember, Nate floundered early in ST, then got better, and started the season as the starting OFer, only to have a short leash from Bochy. Blanco deservedly got playing time after Nate got the hook. I would argue Nate, as a vet, deserved more rope before Bochy pulled his ass into oblivion. Bochy gave Rohand months and months and months of rope over several years. Clearly the contract comparison between the Gamer and Nate made a difference to Bochy. That surely wasn’t lost on Nate…

62. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Mets announcers giving major props to the ’54 Giants.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:33 pm

’54 HOY went to the great Native Dancer (by Unbreakable out of Geisha). The “Grey Ghost” was a spectacular runner. 22 starts, 21 wins and 1 place. That coming in the Kentucky Derby. His greatness didn’t stop at the track, his prominence in stud is top-notch. His most famous grandson, Mr. Prospector (my all-time favorite) carried on the tradition in the most brilliant fashion.

Native Dancer has to be in the top 5 of all-time. Has to be…

• DJLoo said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I’m quite sure Native Dancer was sired by Polynesian. Is this a test?

• DJLoo said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Saw Mr. Prospector run once. Forego manhandled him in the ’74 Carter…

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I saw Hoof Hearted run once. ONCE.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm

No. You’re right. My drunk ass was looking at his grandsire. But now that I’m intrigued, I did a little research. Polynesian was a sprinter. Native Dancer got all of his stamina on his dam’s side. Loo, I’m envious of you. You saw Forego and Mr. Prospector, I fed sugar cubes to Lost in the Fog (Lost Soldier out of Cloud Break) at Gilchrist’s barn at GGF. You saw two of the best…

• DJLoo said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Thanks for posting that DMD. Choked me up a little. Seemed like those same horses used to knock heads every 2 weeks back then. I also got to hang with Mr. P for awhile on a visit to Claiborne in the mid ’90’s. His nickname in retirement was “Pops”. Danzig lived in the next stall if I remember right – and Unbridled was a little further down…

63. Bozo said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Blanco!

64. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

#fuckincatchbyblanco Buy him a car, Matty.

65. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I toldja this morning, Nate saw Frandsen go yard last night, so he did it today.

When did Wright become an idiot? I always thought he was a pretty heads-up gtuy.

66. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Pill with the start. Why is Belt even here?

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm

To make Christian look worse…

67. Bozo said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Giants are showing some good D.

68. DJLoo said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Inexcusable blunder by Wright. I wonder if he’s spooked from his near beaning earlier…

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm

And then he throws one into the dugoput.

69. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm

God, the Mets sre doing their best to pass us in errors.

70. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I’m late to the game here. Christian, Pill, and Arias? Welcome to the club, Hunter.

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Christian sporting a stellar 6 for 38 now, or thereabouts.
      He’s the best we’ve got outta Fresno for bench support? Sheezus…

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Kiecshnick got hurt a couple weeks before Christian came up. Maybe it would have been Christian anyway but Roger is actually a prospect..

71. zumiee said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Hey, horse people, I’ve always wondered- when a racehorse has one of those really long names, like “I Can See Clearly Now” or something like that, what do the people that work with the horse actually call it? Do they just call it a shortened version, like “See Clearly” or something, or do they just give it a nickname, like Jo-Jo that has nothing to do with its race name? Surely they don’t actually call the horse I Can See Clearly Now when they’re calling it, right?

• snarkk said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Here Horsey, here Horsey!….

• TedSpe said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm

nza nza nza nza nza is the usual name from the owners

• unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Hoof hearted is still my fave. zi saw hiim at Bay Meadows about 12 years ago.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:49 pm

There are no long names. The Jockey Club clearly stipulates that a horse’s name may have no more than 18 characters. Spaces included. “Brevity is the soul of wit.” ~ Bill Shakespeare.

72. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Kontos has done well. I don’t often see him. Why am I beginning to dislike David Wright?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

jinxed him; shit

• twinfan1 said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Well, you want the guy to pitch through it, but a botched DP didn’t help.

• TedSpe said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm

NOW do you like David Wright?

73. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm

This is killing me. It’s 12:14am and feels like 3:14am. It feels like 679 pitches have been thrown, just by us.

74. TedSpe said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Jesus.
    I’m dying over here

75. unca_chuck said, on August 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Yeah, Pawlie. We’re all suffering as well. Theriot has been real hinky lately.