A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Stamp Act

Posted in Uncategorized by pawliekokonuts on August 8, 2012

The financially ailing U.S. Postal Service just put out four stamps on “Major League Baseball [tm] All-Stars.” The stamps are handsome depictions of Willie Stargell, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, and Larry Doby. Better yet, the full set carries on the back finely crafted biographies that are succinct and poetic. “The crack of a bat on a hot summer day” the text begins, in bold italic. (I wish I had had that gig.) By the way, these stamps are “Forever” stamps. Isn’t that wonderful, that something you used to lick could confer everlasting metaphysical powers?

Your assignment, boys and girls, should you choose to accept it, is to select A, B, or C, or some combination thereof, or neither (in which case, G.F.Y.):

A. Which four players would you choose out of all of Major League Baseball [tm] history? (I did not do the research, but it would be challenging only to choose players not previously enshrined on stamps. Has Willie Mays ever been so honored? Must one be deceased?)

B. Which four Giants in all of history would you select?

C. Which four Giants from 2012 would you select?

Have at it.

1. willedav said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:39 am

good one pawlie. Wilson with the full beard would look great–kind of like a Russian Orthodox guy in a suit and black hat. It would be nice to see likeness of McCovey Mays Cepeda Marichal from the 60s.
    This year? I’d say Posey Melk Vogs and that Perfect Game guy.

2. Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:44 am

I’ll just go with 4 Giants: My first two would be Stretch and Thrill. Both images would be of them finishing a swing. #3 would be Barry, probably in the same pose. #4 would be…….wow, this is hard…..
    Needing a right handed hitter here…….ummmm….I guess I’d go with The Ripper— the baddest white dude on our team back in the 70’s. Everyone in the 70’s was either “old school” or a “bad ass.” Clark led the way in that department, at least for me.

• ewisco said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:54 am

my first thought was jack too. the big boys are well documented. i like the thrill. i was also pondering moon man.

3. Nipper said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:46 am

Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Bonds.

4. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:50 am

Whoever the feck edited the thread to include the stamp images: BSK (big sloppy kiss).

5. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:53 am

I myself edited the thread. See last sentence before newly affixed images of stamps. Hahahahahaha.

6. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:04 am

A. Williams, Mantle, Mays, Rose
    B. Ott, McCovey, Marichal, W Clark
    C. Cabrera, Posey, Cainer, Bummie

7. Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:07 am

McCovey,Mays,Marichal,and a greasy Gaylord Perry stamp!
    Today,Have to have a “Buster Bash “stamp,a Melkman stamp,a Panda food stamp,and a Mr.Perfect Cain stamp

8. chipower9 said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:16 am

Mays, McCovey, The Thrill, Bonds.

This year: Buster Ballgame, Cain, Melky and Kung-Fu P.

9. chipower9 said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:17 am

Oh, and good topic Pawlie.

10. Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:28 am

I think I still have a Babe Ruth stamp or two and another ballplayer (Clemente?).

I would love to see a stamp of Cool Papa Bell although the deliveries for the Post Office would have to be faster. Maybe a same day stamp with the saying “Your mail will get there before the room goes dark” or something.

I don’t recall a Mays stamp (don’t they usually just issue a likeness if someone is dead?), but an a-Mays-ing over the shoulder catch would be cool.

2012 Giant? Not a one. But I’d buy a collection of WS champs (team photo or logo) and the 2010 stamp I’d buy a shit load.

11. Macdog said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:30 am

A. Joe Jackson, Ernie Banks, Roberto Clemente, Steve Carlton

B. Christy Mathewson, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Barry Bonds

C. Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Buster Posey, Sergio Romo

12. Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:37 am

Jeez, you guys are going to make it impossible for me to find a POTD today…….

• eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:05 am

a bit early, eh, mate?
      besides I haven’t post_edd my new improved Olympics Report (code named: everlasting metaphysical )

13. willedav said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:44 am

Just read the Pavs blog and he says Hembree will be with San Jose “to build his arm strength.” Said he’d been out with flexor strain since June 11. apparently casilla has blister issue that means the committee for 8th and 9th is affeldt lopez romo, at least for now. Interesting column, esp the chat with bochy and the pen, and their reaction re:defined roles.

14. twinfan1 said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:48 am

Zito, Rowand, Huff, Benitez…

• unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:54 am

LeMaster, Metzger (sans fingers), Stennett, Montanez

15. salty said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:58 am

Hiiller and Pagan, Uribe and Thompson

16. Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:12 am

Pierznski,Benitez,Wellemeyer,Green

• willedav said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:24 am

lol, hall of shame.
      Nice pic of Pops in the yellow…I remember an all star game with Parker in yellow out in RF, awesome. Loved the 3 ring black hat, tho and used to wear one all the time when I played softball.

17. snarkk said, on August 8, 2012 at 9:38 am

A. Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Mays, The Mick
    B. John McGraw, Christy Mathewson, Stretch, Lincecum
    C. Melky, Cain, Posey, Murph

• chipower9 said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

Murph – the guy who does all the grunt work in the clubhouse to make it happen day-in and day-out for our Giants. Very cool, snarkk.

• snarkk said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:18 am

Murph has been the only “Giant” in the clubhouse essentially since Day 1 of the franchise in SF. He’s seen it all — through Stoneham, Lurie. McGowan, BowTie, now these no-name billionaires. Rigney, Dark, Franks, Fox, Bristol, Robinson, Craig, Dusty, Alou, Bochy, and the others. Mays, McCovey, Cepda, JR Hart, Bonds, Moonman, Vida, the Thrill, the other Bonds, the Freak, and every other dang player that’s ever been an SF Giant. The one thing they have in common is that Murph was there when they were. And after they weren’t. Picking up after ’em, listening to their tales of woe, gettin’ ’em what they need, takin’ shit from ’em, probably. There’s a reason Bow Tie gave Murph the WS Trophy in the clubhouse after the win. Murph deserved that 2010 Ring as much or more than anybody else. He deserves to be on a Giants stamp, if there ever is one…

• chipower9 said, on August 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Could not agree more, snarkk. And when the rings were handed out in 2010…Murph got the first one…followed by Bow Tie.

18. eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:07 am

A. Which four players would you choose: Williams, because he taught me so much about hitting. Mike Schmidt, because he was an idol at the right time. Ripken, Jr., because he was the real deal. Maddux, because he was one bad-ass pitcher.
    B. Which four Giants: Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Bonds. Because I am a youngster and do not remember people like Mathewson, Ott, Maglie, or pretty much anything before 1958.
    C. Which four Giants from 2012: POSEY!!! MELKEY!!! CAIN!!! and Belt.

19. eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:17 am

Day 12, but first, results from yesterday’s events
    As you guys know I love the strength events. Germany’s Robert Harting took gold in the Discus with a throw of (68.27m) 75 yards. He celebrated in style by taking his top off and embarking on a lap of honour draped in the German flag before leaping over the barriers set out for the 100m Hurdles to cheers from the stands.

The big man from Iran, 22yo Salimikordasiabi, world champion the last 3 years, won gold in the super-heavyweights. He had some lifts left and tried to break the 8 year old record, but could not. Iranian men were inspired by Hossein Rezazadeh who was Iran’s first gold medalist ever and set the current world records at the 2000 and 2004 games. His world record for 2 lifts is 573.2 lbs.

Australian Sally Pearson clocked an Olympic record of 12.35 to edge USA defending champion Dawn Harper into silver by just 0.02.
    ‘I have been working for four years for that gold medal. It has been a dream of mine for 12 years, since I watched Cathy Freeman win her gold in Sydney.’ Unfortunately Michelle Jennkins was not on the Australian team to re-create her famous warm-up dance.

TODAY – are the finals and consolation matches in Beach vb with the 2 USA teams going for gold. Live @ 10am PDT. Other events with finals today:
    women’s wrestling, men’s and women’s taekwondo, some more track stuff including Usain Bolt going in the 200m semis and show horse jumping (sex of horses unknown).

returning slowly to baseball:
    The Shadys had a big night in the Flap FB league
    Zito confounds the critics with no walks and 2 runs, both by the long ball from the same guy!
    And bochy’s closer by committee picks the hot hand as Affeldt gets save #3 while starting a DP to erase his only baserunner.
    Go Giants

• chipower9 said, on August 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Hey, the Brits also took the Gold in Team Dressage…first time Great Britian has ever won a medal in dressage. (I follow it because my girlfriend rides it…it actually is a beautiful sport that has its foundings from military manuevers…and requires the horse and rider to be in excellent physical shape…lots of core requirements.)

• eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 2:15 pm

It was really quite amazing, the gold. Those three riders all have a professional connection to each other. In dressage the horse needs to be so well trained. In tune with the rider, submissive even. And they all said riding in front of a massive crowd like that was upsetting to both horse and rider so no one was sure what the performance would be like. Add to that the Olympic course was different from their normal dressage course so they had to make adjustments for that, too.

• chipower9 said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Like I said, my girlfriend does dressage, so I know enough about the sport to have a deep appreciation for it. The young lady (26 I think) who rode last night was awesome…and was riding her own horse. I was happy to see Great Britian win the gold, given they had never won a dressage medal, and the games were being played on their home turf. Good stuf..

20. Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

and for those of you interested, the Flap Fantasy League standings have been updated. It can be found in the widget on the right side of the main page.

21. Irish Kevin said, on August 8, 2012 at 10:45 am

Aaron, Mays, Mr. Ocober, The Goose
    The Thrill, Mays, McCovey, Shooter
    Melky, with milk maids in the back ground
    Buster
    Panda
    Romo

• eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 11:38 am

Mr. October, The Goose, Shooter and Romo are at the top of my lists, too.
      cheers

22. snarkk said, on August 8, 2012 at 11:08 am

I don’t like closer by committee.
    Nor ownership by committee…

• chipower9 said, on August 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I don’t like closer by committee, either, but I do think under the current circumstances that it is the way to go.

• Nipper said, on August 8, 2012 at 12:38 pm

At least we have only one Snarkk!

23. PawlieKokonuts said, on August 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

You guys are great. Loved reading these. Murph! Yes!

24. stixwiz said, on August 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm

MLBTR via CBS Sports just noted that Melky and the Giants have agreed to hold off contract negotiations till after the season. Upper management says they have enough $ to take on both the MelkMAN and Pence. For some time i was in favor of nailing Cabrera down as soon as possible to a 3 yr. contract, but now i can see a psychological edge in keeping him hungry through the season. It’s said that there is a 3 yr/$27M contract on the boards already. Don’t see how Melky can up his game by much, but if he keeps it up at his current level and the Giants go Post-season the contract settlement could easily be three at 30M.

In any event Cabrera appears to be amenable to hanging in SF. Much of that could have to do with the fact that he is more of a slash and crash hitter than a mash and bash type.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I think he gets 5 years/55 mil minimum.

• Nipper said, on August 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I think he’s gone.

• Nipper said, on August 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm

…..after this season….

• snarkk said, on August 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I repeat, Melky’s agent waives the Gamer’s contract in their face and says that’s not even close to what Melky’s worth…

• Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Agree with BF….For one 3 yrs at 27 clams is not gonna get it done.If the Giants gave “”Gamer” 5/60MM and now eating it this year.Melky is a hell of alot better player then constipation stance,so i would try for 4/50-52 tops.

25. Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm

So it seems before the four stamps listed above, the only baseball players on US stamps are Ruth, Clemente, Robinson and Gehrig. I guess the Postal Service will not issue a stamp of a person unless he/she has been dead for at least 10 years (one year for U.S. presidents is the only exception).
    So if y’all want a Kevin Mitchell stamp, you have to get it from the Comoro Islands

• Nipper said, on August 8, 2012 at 1:05 pm

A Bozo stamp would be nice.

• eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Is that anything like a tramp stamp? 🙂

26. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I think Melky will ask for 6yrs/$100 million. Might settles for 5/75…..You don’t think the Phillies could blow that out of the water?

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Or the Dodgers, too. I think 5/75 is probably more likely now that I think About it

27. chipower9 said, on August 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I don’t think Melky is necessarily gone year’s-end. Unless he is blowing smoke up everyone’s ass, he has said he is open to a long-term deal with SF. I agree with others and think it takes more than 3/27 to get it done. Not sure about a five year deal…would be down with 4 at 44-48.

Note on the Hated Bums – this from a MLBTR piece: “The new Dodgers ownership has made it clear that they are willing to spend big in order to win, and this may just be the tip of the iceberg, writes Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. Heyman adds that the Dodgers were not only willing to eat the remainder of Cliff Lee’s sizable contract but offered players in exchange for him as well.”

So, if the above is true about Lee, then I fully suspect the Bums to make a run at Melk, too. Fuck them!

• DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Heyman is a know-nothing idiot…

28. blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2012 at 1:45 pm

“It’s said that there is a 3 yr/$27M contract on the boards already.”

Stix, I was wondering who the source of this information was? When? I agree with your description of Melky – a very good hitter, with maybe 15-20 home runs annually. Consequently, I think he gets somewhere in between what Kat and Flav described, maybe $9-10 million maximum per year. He already makes $6 million . . . For example, I just can’t see him passing Granderson ($10 million) next year. Obviously, Granderson probably has an “escalator” in his contract, so he could be up to $15 million next year, along with the players I listed below.

These are existing 2012 salaries for outfielders ($8 million to $13 million):

21 Curtis Granderson New York Yankees $ 10,000,000
    22 Shane Victorino Philadelphia Phillies $ 9,500,000
    23 Bobby Abreu Los Angeles Angels $ 9,000,000
    23 Yoenis Cespedes Oakland Athletics $ 9,000,000
    25 Jacoby Ellsbury Boston Red Sox $ 8,050,000

• eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 2:21 pm

looks like the Yanks got the best of those deals.

• chipower9 said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Yank-Mees have an option on Granderson for 13 mil next year, with a 2 mil buyout.

29. salty said, on August 8, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Yeah, a lot of those guys are making less than Rowand. No more relevant than Zito’s contract would have on a FA pitcher. Otherwise, Matt and Tim are worth 25m a year.

30. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I just can’t believe Swishy is getting over $10 mill per . . .

• blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Just like I can’t believe Markakis is getting $12.350 million per year. Ridiculous.

31. Macdog said, on August 8, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Broxton didn’t quite get it done today for the Reds: 3 H & 2 ER in 2/3 IP, turning a 2-1 lead into a 3-2 loss to the Brew.

32. zumiee said, on August 8, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I don’t have much to add to what others have said about stamps….but it would be cool to see a Satchel Paige stamp someday.

33. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Was there ever a truly regrettable stamp? Nixon? OJ?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Elvis? Reagan? Disney characters? There’s a bunch of Toy Story characters out now. Odd.

• blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Nixon upside down stamp http://www.thezephyr.com/archives/nixon.htm and Simpson had a stamp . . . umm, from Guyana – http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-2361492.html

• Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Sorry, but i just can’t see myself licking a “Tricky Dick” stamp.

• zumiee said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

A very surreal stamp would be a depiction of the time Nixon met Elvis in the Oval Office. Elvis showed up in full Elvis ’70s mode, cape and all, and he and Nixon discussed a role for Elvis as a special agent in helping to fight the war on drugs. The insanity never seemed to stop in the Nixon White House.

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Didn’t Elvis have a pistol with him during the photo shoot? I seem to remember reading that the Secret Service was aware of him packing in the Oval Office.

• zumiee said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Wouldn’t suprise me a bit. With Nixon, things always get more surreal and strange with closer examination.

• Nipper said, on August 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Loo would put the Oswald shooting on a stamp. I’m guessing of course.

34. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Paterno?

35. blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I understand that a lot of people collect and like food stamps . . . OK, OK, a bad Republican joke.

36. salty said, on August 8, 2012 at 3:33 pm

• eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Mow ’em down, Ryan V
      Go Giants!

37. eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 4:02 pm

freaking WP, lost 2 of my posts, bet this one goes thru

• eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm

OK they are lost in the spam bin

38. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Has Pence joined the team yet?

39. Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

What the hell? I love ESPN, the game is on back here.
    Oh man, watching a game on TV how sweet is that?.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on August 8, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Gonna do the same. I feel good about tonight because of Ryan Theriot. A gamer. Cards’ announcers, who seemed Midwest-strait-laced-Lutheran-drowsy last night, still love The Riot.

40. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Since 2010, the Giants are 14-3 on the road vs. pitchers who wear goggles…

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Now that, is a hell of stat Loo.

41. Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 5:46 pm

great to see Jack Clark there. He looks a lot differently obviously but he still looks like a badass to me. Now he looks like he’s got “old man” strength. And he looks like he’s losing his patience with that yahoo talking his ear off next to him…….

• blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Does anyone remember his ongoing feud with Tony Gwynn? The Ripper thought he was a selfish SOB, e.g., Tony once bunted with the bases loaded and Clark said, “Nobody said he has to go up and hit a home run, but if he’s a better hitter than me or the next guy, then we need him to go up there and take his swings instead of bunting. Guys have been running their own individual scams here, and you can’t win like that. The Padres management has kind of created its own monster. His wife has said stuff before, too. Should we get all our wives involved in the decision-making process?”

Jack never held back against anyone.

• Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Still to this day I would not want to get into a beef with either Jack Clark or Chili Davis,those 2 were the baddest Asses of all Giants,though their could be votes for Hac Man and Mitchell as well.
        Once remember Krukow saying also that in a bar fight “Don’t ever mess with”Gentlemen” Jim Barr,you will see stars.

• eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:17 pm

“old man” strength, I like it.
      I have found it doesn’t work as-good as 30-year-old strength once a bar fight starts. It can, however, slow them down from starting.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Well, I’m not there yet so I can’t agree/disagree. But I think there’s a point somewhere in your 60’s where you can overwhelm a younger foe with your “old man strength”. It probably includes some cunning that most of the bucks don’t have yet. And I also think it gets lost rather quickly.
        I had an uncle that could kick the shit out of any man of any age till he was about. 65. Then, it all went downhill.

• eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

yes, skill and cunningness (am I spelling that right, I may be thinking of something else that gets us older guys by) can work. I once had a guy take a pose and yell “karate” I yelled back “barstool” and knocked him out.
        another thing is “old age” strength is a solid/stiff kind of strength it does bend. And the body doesn’t feel some pain as much as it used to. I think that is because you have more pains and the body is protecting itself.

42. eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Isn’t this the kiss-of-death? man on 3rd w/ 0 out
    scooter!

43. Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Kinda cool trivia…Cards starter Joe Kelly is a distant cousin of gangster George “Machine gun” Kelly.
    This trivia was brought to you by the Untouchables,starring Robert Stack as Eliott Ness.

• blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Kat, they just provided evidence on ESPN that disputed that factoid.

• Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Blade….Don’t make me bring over some of the boys to your house for a visit.(grin)

• blade3colorado said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:22 pm

What ever you say boss . . . Umm, I mean Mr. Alleykat.

44. zumiee said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Jack Clark autographed a ball and a cap for me several years ago. At the time, Clark was the batting coach for the Dodgers’ Single A Calif. League team, and I was at one of their games. After the game, I saw that he was sticking around to sign for people, so I thought- what the heck: I was wearing a Giants cap he could sign, and I had a foulball from the game. It was a very pleasant signing experience. Clark was very friendly, and seemed to be really enjoying coaching baseball. Not too long later, he was brought up to be the L. A. Dodgers hitting coach, and he was doing well there, they were having some success hitting; but then a couple of years later their hitting struggled, and he was made the sacrificial lamb. I have no idea what he’s doing these days.

45. Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Craw

46. Flavor said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm

what a fantastic play by Crawford. He even hitched that throw a bit. We’ve been lucky to have him this year…..

47. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Imagine being told during the Giants WS parade that in 2012 their starting staff would still consist of a healthy Cain, Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Zito, but their best and most reliable SP would be Ryan Vogelsong. Shows you how silly it is to try to predict anything…

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I predict I’m going out and have a smoke.

• DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I predict that on your first attempt the match will blow out before you successfully light up…

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Zippo, Loo. Didn’t blow out. Speaking of blow outs, keep it going Giants.

48. Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Solid pitching by Vogy,9 pitch inning.Man Voglesong has been just a rock these last 2 years.

49. ewisco said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Isn’t hp due for a big fly?

50. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Bird shit…

51. ewisco said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Speaking of conrad brooks

• unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Or Foster Brooks, uh Brooks Conrad.

• ewisco said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Well I figured i had a 50-50 shot

52. Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Pence,7 RBI’s in 8 games as a Giant,i’ll take that production even if he’s slumped some at the start.

53. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Yeah, good to see him just get his hitting in order without trying to do too much. The power will come.

• ewisco said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm

If I remember correctly this is what belto Carlos did not do. Rbi’s are nice. The hr’s will come.

• Alleykat said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Thank our lucky stars Pence is getting it rolling.Still can’t remember if Ryan Garko ever had a ribby with us.

• DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Speaking of flops, I think Ricky Ledee & Eric Young went about 5 for 90 as Giants…

54. Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Bring on another pitcher with goggles.

55. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Back in the mid-90’s, Foster Brooks’ son was actually an occasional drinking buddy of mine. At least he said he was Foster Brooks’ son…

56. Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Did Foster Brooks actually drink?

• DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Don’t know Bozo. Maybe Ted would. The alleged son was an out of work actor, moderate drunk, and major pothead…

• unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:31 pm

No, he didn’t. Or he quit. Some shit like that.

57. eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I kinda flinched listening to Duane raggin’ on that ‘guard/ball dude’, whatever he was, but there are way too many people looking like that these days.

58. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm

The midwest is full of people like that, Do you prefer old guys, fat guys, or dudettes? They should put the Melkmaids out there.

59. eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:41 pm

96 pitches and 6 outs to go. What is your call?
    new guy, Romo
    Kontos, Affeldt
    leave him in there

60. eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm

school, by pagan, defending the plate with 2 strikes

61. zumiee said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm

The Cardinal fans are very knowledgeable. They have used their great baseball wisdom to come to the conclusion that their team is getting its rear-end kicked tonight.

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Cheers on that Z.

62. ewisco said, on August 8, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Pad your stats buster

• DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:11 pm

….pad your stats! Clap, clap!

63. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Man, sweet game and cool topic, pawlie. My stamp picks (extremely generic and predictable):

1) Ty Cobb; Babe Ruth; Jackie Robinson; Willie Mays (alternate, Ted Williams) (huh..3 out of my 5 are often considered major assholes)
    2) Christy Mathewson; Willie Mays; Willie McCovey; Barry Bonds (alternate, Gaylord Perry)(huh..3 out of my 5 are often considered assholes)
    3) Posey; Cabrera; Cain; Sandoval (alternate Romo)(huh..none of my 5 are considered assholes. Well, one was for a while but not with the Giants. Go figure)

64. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Posey’s fucking slacking with his 3 fucking walks and..what?…A FUCKING SINGLE?
    I may have to take him off my 2012 stamp choice.
    Fucking poseur

65. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Wonder who sits for tomorrow’s obligatory getaway day forfeit…

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Don’t think it’ll be Scutaro.

66. ewisco said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

What happened to the best fans in baseball? They seem to have scampered to the exits. Great fans.

67. Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:18 pm

HELL YEAH!

68. TedSpe said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Christ. If this was a movie..no one woulld believe it.
    Wow

69. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Scooter!!!

70. eddacker said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

and the word juggernaut enters the SFGs offence.

71. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Reminds me a little of this one which was also on ESPN:

72. Macdog said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:22 pm

The only thing missing is LaRussa’s not there to enjoy this.

73. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I have no recollection of Chris Brock…

74. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Oh joy. The new guy? Yikes.

75. DJLoo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I wouldn’t panic just yet. I think the tying run is in Nebraska…

• unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Yeah, well, it still would be nice to . . .

Oh nevermind.

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2012 at 8:36 pm

“I think the tying run is in Nebraska…”

That gets my vote for POTD