A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Bullpen thoughts

Posted in Uncategorized by ewisco on August 14, 2012

I confess I didn’t watch much of last night’s game after the 3rd inning. So when I saw the final score, I figured the bullpen had collapsed as well. Which, surprisingly, didn’t much bug me. I assumed Penny and Kontos and or Hensley had tossed some gas on the fire. But these aren’t the guys who are going to win us a championship. To win this thing, the big four is going to have to do the heavy lifting. Romo and Casilla from the right and Affeldt and Lopez from the left should be plenty. To be successful, the starters are going to have to go at least 6, so four pitchers after that point should be sufficient. The question becomes then, can we get to the post-season with Penny, Kontos, Hensley and Mijares?

A shout out to the immortal Johnny Pesky. Apparently a great guy who would talk to anyone at length about baseball. There will always be a Pesky’s Pole, which is just one of the coolest honors ever. Forget the plaques, name a foul pole after me!

1. Alleykat said, on August 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Way to close it out MadBum!! 2nd CG as a Giant! Time for some Tony Bennett….

2. willedav said, on August 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm

facial. Up to TL tmw to hold em down so SF can take the series.
    If this were fantasy league, I’d leave this LU in there the rest of the season and thru the WS.

3. unca_chuck said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Fricking Dodgers can’t lose. They are on their nasty roadie and they can’t lose. Me? I dump Barbara Billingsly from my FB team and he wins 5 straight.

Hell of a game by Bummie. Shoulda been a shutout.

4. snarkk said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

POTG = Belt, despite the base running wackiness. The kid is gaining confidence, for sure. His Dauber is on the way back up. That lineup is looking more extended now with Pablo and Pence, it’s looking good so far. POTG #2 = Bum. Bum and Belt, Belt and Bum, Bourbon & Branch, I’m likin’ it…

5. Salty said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Great game from Madbum. That was much needed.
    Belt now 17-38 in Aug. Don’t think we’ll see Buster at 1b tomorrow.

6. SanDawg said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:03 pm

This is the first I’ve been able to log on today and I have to chime in to the Will Clark discussion. One of my lowest days as a Giants fan came in 1993 during the last game of the season vs the Dodgers. I was driving with my wife at the time to Laughlin. It was hot as hell and we were on some back-ass country road with no AC out by the Colorado River listening to Vin Scully on a static-filled Dodger affiliate. At a certain point the Dogs start pounding the Giants and it starts to become real that the Giants are going to win 103 games and not make the playoffs. I remember Mondesi hit a homer and Vin was really loving the fact that the Dodgers were putting the final stake in the Giants heart. He even went so far as to say it gave the Dodgers a certain amount of revenge for the Bobby Thompson homer. Vin’s a great one, but I have never hated him more than I did at that moment. He was positively giddy. It had become obvious that Bonds was now the main man and I had heard rumblings that Thrill wasn’t that happy. I remember turning to my wife as the game ended and saying that very well may have been Will Clark’s last game as a Giant. I damn near started crying I was so bummed about all of it.
    I still get sad when I think about that day. 2010 helped take away some of pain of those near misses, but I’d be lying if I said it smoothed things over completely.

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Dawg, that’s some fine Giants’ memories, even tho’ painful. It was a shame Clark spent the next half decade elsewhere…

• eddacker said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:10 pm

word, mate

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Dude, it’s time for the chickens to crow over there, do you ever sleep?….

7. Bozo said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Dawg – 93 is still something special to me. People forget that it wasn’t just Barry and Will but also Matt. I don’t know if Clark was unhappy or not but I do know management didn’t think they could keep the three of them, so they stuck with Matt and Barry.They kept Williams until 95 or 96 (I don’t remember the year), still, what a 3 through 5 that was in 1993.

8. eddacker said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:16 pm

yeah, I slept from 10:30 to 3:30 and have the rest of today off, so – go Gigantes

• Bozo said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:18 pm

ed, you’re my idol. One of these days we just have to raise a couple of pints together.

• eddacker said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm

yur on! but one of those pints has to be to you and yours getting back in your house.

😎

• Bozo said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm

We’re back in this weekend buddy. It’s been a long time and man do I want to sleep in my own bed.

9. eddacker said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:17 pm

With Krukow ‘on assignment’ it may be true about the rumours that he is moving on up?

• snarkk said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Up where?
      He’s probably in SLO playing golf…

10. willedav said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:23 pm

might seem hard to believe, but brandon crawford actually has 4 more rbis this season 36-32 than bryce harper does. FWIW, b-r site lists harper WAR of 1.9, crawford 1.6 difference in their BA right now–6 pts. If AS game were held today, no way Bryce Harper is in it with his .733 OPS.

11. eddacker said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I heard he was considering an offer for nat’l TV, fox, I think.

12. snarkk said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Gnite, Gmorning Flappers…

13. chipower9 said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Awesome win! Madison was fucking nails…POTG.

• Nipper said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Yeah awesome!

• Bozo said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Grab some snacks Nip, but leave the sniffs behind.
        Awesome.

• Nipper said, on August 14, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Okay apple pie tonight….good!

14. Macdog said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Baggs just tweeted some Mota news: “Guillermo Mota threw 1 1/3 IP in his first rehab appearance for the Giants’ affiliate in the Arizona Rookie League. He’s eligible Aug. 28.”

15. zumiee said, on August 14, 2012 at 10:52 pm

We were talking about Babe Ruth earlier….I only just now looked at the website that has been set up to promote the Lefty Gomez biography, and it’s got a nice 4 minute video with lots of rare film footage from Lefty’s life in baseball, including Ruth, DiMaggio, and others.