A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

“I’m Gonna Git You, Sucka!”

Posted in Uncategorized by unca_chuck on August 20, 2012

No, no, I’m not talking movies here (and I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing this one), but on the eve of the 2,365th  Giants/Dodgers game (1184–1163–17 [wait a minute, 17 ties? How does that happen?])), I’m talking grudges. We all hold grudges against seemingly innocent things. The DMV, for  being a little slice of hell on Earth, the one barrista at Starbucks who never makes you double-whip-half-caff-light-mocha-whip-frappochino correctly, or even meter maids and the stupid little carts they drive.

Sport grudges are different though. At least for me. Zumie mentioned yesterday that his anger toward the Los Angels Angels of Angeland had faded to nothing. Me? Nope. 5 outs will always hurt. The hatred still burns like a tiny fire in my heart. I’m happy as a clam in sheepshit that the LAALAAs  are potentially going to miss the playoffs despite spending a millions upon millions of dollars on guys like Pujols, Grienke, Haren and the rest of their bloated payroll. In true LA fashion, the players are individually having great years, yet the team is barely over .500 after droppping 4 games to the banjo hitting TBRays. They have Kid Fish as the likely rookie of the year. Trumbo playing out of his mind, and yet, they blow an 8 run lead the other night. Ha ha! I’m loving their slow sink into obscurity as the A’s (the fuckin’ A’s! A team that jettisons star players as fast as they can) blow past them and move into playoff contention.

I missed the Yankee World Series loss in 1962 (well, I was a negligent 1 year old fan back then) , but plenty of people here still hold that torch as a reason to hate the Yankees. I still view the Fred (Crime Dog) McGriff trade from the Pads to the Braves as an abomination, and therefore the Braves and Padres hold a special dark place in my heart for animosity as the Braves played out of their minds and passed the Giants in the last true pennant race back in 1993. St Louis? Yup. On the list. 1987 still hurts because I think it was 1987 when baseball changed the NLCS to best of 7 from best of 5. Of course, the Giants would have won a best of 5. And because of Jose fucking Okendo. The Marlins? Fuck ’em. Both timie we faced them in the playoffs, they won the Word Series. Although it IS hard to stay mad at them as they jettison their lineup evey 3 years, and they now they play in a pastel-colored nightmare of a stadium in downtown Miami. They look like a barnstroming team from the 30s. That’s about it for me baseball-wise. For some reason, I’m not angry about the Pirates, even though they beat the Giants in 1971. And even though I saw them win game 1 on what I thought would be a shoe-in to the World Series, my anger for that series was directed at Dave Kingman for butchering game 2.

So, who holds your ire? Having been only a fan of the SF teams my whole life, I have a pretty small sample size. I respected (and grudgingly liked) the Big Red Machine back in the 70s. I mentioned Pittsburgh, and you had to like the ‘We are family’ run. I have family ties to the Cubs, and I could give a shit about 4/5th of the AL teams (KC? Seattle? ChiSox?). These teams barely register on my radar.

So, who gets your blood pressure rising? What team (or player) causes you to see a little red?

1. zumiee said, on August 20, 2012 at 8:49 pm

The only positive thing about sliding into first on those long throws is if the throw is off-line then the firstbaseman can’t tag the runner going by.

2. Rooster said, on August 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Ha! good one Loo – no, I distinctly remember going on the Splash and here too I thought and throwing out some congrats – I’m pretty sure…. or maybe I meant to ?

3. unca_chuck said, on August 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Kershaw is on fire.

4. unca_chuck said, on August 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Looks like Vickie might have pulled something.

5. Alleykat said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Beautiful.watching Kemp STRIKEOUT!!! Wish he did break his bat over his.knee.Fuckwad

6. twinfan1 said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Early on it was Gregor, then Theriot, but after a midseason slump, Arias has to be the “under the radar” MVP. IMO.

• Flavor said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Melky and Buster are Thr only 2 position player MVP’s, come on.

7. Flavor said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Bum is pitching fantastically but I’m pretty queasy on the next 3 innings.

• zumiee said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Gotta be Bum the whole way!

8. sandog said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm

…just read the “skull-fuck” post Chuck. That’s pretty damn funny—I’m with ya on that one.

9. sandog said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:22 pm

One of the things I love about Fleming is that he’s not afraid to be a little critical of the players. Not to the point where he overdoes it, but he will point out when he thinks someone made a mental error or a half-hearted effort.
    On that error by Pablo, he mentioned that it may not be possible for Pablo to properly bend over and make that play.
    I obviously didn’t see it. How ugly was it?

• zumiee said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm

It didn’t look horrible, but it showed how borderline his weight is. He’s about at the absolute limit he could be and still play MLB thirdbase. It would benefit him to lose a few pounds.

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:39 pm

10. tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:39 pm

God, it takes fucking *forever* to catch up on all you mooks funny fucking posts.
    Good stuff, gentlemen.
    MadBum’s rockin. Let the pigeons loose!!

11. sandog said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Zum–I used to devour baseball books when I was younger. I read Leo Durocher’s book and others by/about Hawk Harrelson, Joe Pepitone, Gaylord Perry, Orlando Cepeda, Bob Gibson, and Hank Aaron off the top of my head. I also read Bronx Zoo as well as the similar books by Reggie and Graig Nettles. Ball Four has always been my favorite though. I remember reading Ball Four in our family trailer at Camp Richardson at Lake Tahoe. I was maybe 12 at the time and it was the mid 70’s. At one point I came across a word I didn’t know—I want to say it was “milieux.” Whatever the word was, it was used in a sexual context. I asked my fairly conservative parents what the word meant. One of them asked me to read the sentence it was used in, and I stammered out something like “it’s kind of dirty.” My dad said “then you shouldn’t be reading that book.” I remember feeling awkward as hell waiting for one of them to come take the book—-but neither of them did and they just went back to what they were doing. Looking back, I bet my mom gave my dad kind of knowing-dude nod that communicated “he’s reading and he’s 12—let it go.”
    I still occasionally crank out a baseball book. I thought “Game of Shadows” was a horrible bore and never finished it, but there was another book about Barry that came out around the same time that I thought was quite good.

• DJLoo said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I remember it, sandog. I think it was something about an offbeat milieau (?) for sex being a tubful of warm oatmeal…

• sandog said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:48 pm

YES—-That was it!

• sandog said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I bet you read that Pepitone book Loo—–there were a few words in that one I didn’t know either!

• zumiee said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Yeah, baseball books don’t get more classic than Ball Four. I’ve read it a couple of times.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Perhaps my favorite baseball fiction is “The Seventh Babe” by Jerome Charyn. Out of print.

12. pawliekokonuts said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Was hoping Bumgarner would get CG.

13. tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:52 pm

A slight irony is…you know Sergio Romo spent his first 15 years in life with the nickname “Homo”. And slight variations and allusions afterwards
    It’s America. It just happens

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

By the way, I typed that *before* he gave up the ..I was going to write “dinger” but that seems inappropriate right now

14. pawliekokonuts said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Scutaro makes a golden catch and Aaron Boone talks about the hitter. Shit. HR for Henley “Regatta.”

15. pawliekokonuts said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:54 pm

WTF is a *biotic*?

16. tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:55 pm

On another note, I just dropped an M & M that rolled under my fridge

• sandog said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Plain or peanut? C’mon Ted, paint a picture for us here.

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Peanut. And I think it was blue

17. zumiee said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Ringo sang: “You know it don’t come easy.”

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Which is *really* a fun song to play on guitar

• sandog said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:58 pm

You gotta pay your dues if ur gonna sing the blues Zum…

18. tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Ballgame, my peoples

19. pawliekokonuts said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:58 pm

An entirely satisfying ballgame through and through. The Undertaker buries the Rodeo Drivers.

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:59 pm

The Undertaker. hahaha. I forgot that nickname. Thanks, pawlie

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:05 pm

credit Stixwix w/ that, after MadBum’s WS win

20. pawliekokonuts said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Curt Schilling is a douchebag. Goodnight, girls [exclamation point].

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Goodnight, sweetums (semi-colon)

21. twinfan1 said, on August 20, 2012 at 9:59 pm

LH hitters BAA against:

.197 Lopez

.200 Affeldt

.216 Mijares

That’s a great group.

22. demp28 said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:02 pm

FUCK YEAH!!!!! MadBum with balls the size of tractor tires!

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Well, yeah, but he threw a few strikes, too

• twinfan1 said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm

His snot rocket count has been way down. Hopefully Mom read him the riot act…

23. Rooster said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:05 pm

That was an excellent game – not a single walk by either side the whole way through – Kershaw pitched awesome – Bumgarner a little better.

24. twinfan1 said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:05 pm

There was no way Bum was even being considered to pitch the 9th at 120 pitches and 3 RHers to start the 9th…Casilla is close to taking over the closer role again, as he should. They’ve actallly been incredibly good with the hodge-podge closing, though..
    Or lucky, take your pick

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

In baseball? I claim both

25. willedav said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Don’t know what mijares has to do with tonite’s W, but if SF is in postseason he’s the 11th guy on the PS.
    Hated to see romo give up the bomb after he got out ellis and kemp, but it is good to show ethier what he has to look forward to late game.

• twinfan1 said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Did he eat your frijoles, Wiliie?

26. sandog said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Great interview with Crazy Horse on the radio side. He hablas Ingles pretty damn well.
    Which reminds me of a Barry story where he was once heckling Russ Ortiz for not being able to speak Spanish. “How come you don’t habla, man?” I believe was the line Barry kept using. I still get some mileage out of that line with a good buddy.

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm

sandog, forgive my ignorance but who’s Crazy Horse? I mean, I’ve seen a couple of westerns and I know of a strip club that…anyway…who’s Crazy Horse?

• sandog said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Angel Pagan, my man!

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Okay. Thanks. Missed that moniker. You know who else? Sandoval. That Greek fuck Papas has tried to (lamely) ridicule Sandoval’s English. Yeah, the guy’s got an accent but his grasp of English is better than half the fucks what was born here

• twinfan1 said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I recounted the time that Pablo was struggling doing his interview in English and Papa smirkingly ( his default expression ) asked for a translator… why this lowlife handles anything SF related is a mystery. He’s unbearable.

• tedspe said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Agree, twin.

27. twinfan1 said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Willie- what Mijares has to do with it is that I was simply showing that that they have 3 loogies who are lights out against LHers.. Bochy could and will use any of them in a tight situation. Those are this year’s numbers. Career Mijares is .213, Lopez .221, Affeldt .235.

28. twinfan1 said, on August 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm

If they carry 11 pitchers as they did in 2010,
    Cain
    Vogie
    MadBum
    Kontos
    Hensley
    Mijares
    Affeldt
    Lopez
    Romo
    Casilla

That’s 10. Tim and Zito are absolutely not guaranteed to be on the roster. Also in the picture is Mota, who has to be activated before the Sept. 1 expansion ( suspension related rules). I think they’d pass on Mota and leave one of the starters off the first round roster. But I’d have to see the match up first. Mijares could definitely be a casualty, but he’s a quality situational LHer. Night night.

29. Sportdude said, on August 20, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Roger Craig and his fucking fumble that cost the Niners a 3peat!

30. eddacker said, on August 21, 2012 at 2:10 am

Another late post no one will read, but I have a lot to say: great game Bruce Bochy and that rag tag group known as my team. It was nice to see the flyin’ Hawaiian in the outfield of the dreaded dogers, have always like him. Great way/win to dink/scratch out two runs, the second being crucial insurance type. Madison McSolid looking great. Noticed Pagan and Pence calling to each other even when the flies were not that close.

“chronicling Alfred the Great’s reign in England during the Viking (Danish) wars during the late 9th Century.” When I first came to the UK I lived in Alfreton (Alfred’s Town) so King Alfred became the first bit of history I learned and Alfreton is my ‘adopted’ home town. Another thing he is famous for is building churches after driving out the dragons and Vikings. The cool part was he built the churches for the schools he knew they would provide, pretty advanced thing for the 800s.

and, for my man Zumie:
    I was born on a Thursday, by Sunday I had a job . . . ’cause I’m a working man! CCR

31. eddacker said, on August 21, 2012 at 4:13 am

I have 2 more thoughts after reading the rest of last night’s posts. to me Pablo’s lower half looks slimmer. I don’t think he has the full message about his weight. 2 hamate bone hooks were not weight related and he has a small excuse for the hammy. Maybe just maybe the lingering reminder will get him to hear the message.
    I do not think I have seen this before, could Timmeh’s injury/downturn be related to the fact that he hasn’t iced his arm for several years now and it is catching up with his arm health/strength?

32. Nipper said, on August 21, 2012 at 4:19 am

Start making the coffee and GO GIANTS!