A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Filling The Big Fake Hole in Left Field

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 21, 2012

Your attention please, batting for Snarkk….number 77….Biiiig Flaaavvvooorrrrrr!!!!!!

cue the music, “Paradise City”, byG&R. And I’m not talking about a goddamn snippet of the song. When I get called up to the plate I’m not stepping into the batters box until the entire s0ng has played from start to finish. Screw it, flip on “November Rain”….

What was I talking about?

His final game for us was August 14th and as we complete our first full week without that cheating, selfish fuck, I am still staring at the Giants outfield and not seeing even a borderline replacement. Right now, having Pagan and Pence “wheelin’ it big in the outer and inner outfield” is looking pretty good to me. And I’m not talking about replacing a guy who led the league in hits and runs and who had a .346 batting average. I’m just talking about a guy who isn’t named *Justin Christian*.  Speaking of a guy like that, what the hell happened to Gregor Blanco? Back on May 30th, The White Shark was  still sporting an OBP over .400 and an .823 OPS. Fast forward a couple of months and he’s hitting .234 with an OBP of .329. WIthout being able to pinpoint the exact difference, Gregor Blanco shows us the difference between being the MVP of the Venezuelan Winter League and what it takes to succeed at the mlb level. Anyway, Blanco is an option I guess…..

There’s been talk of calling up Gary Brown. He’s been playing in LF for Richmond lately and I’m wondering if that isn’t a sign of desperate measures to come. I am against that idea since I don’t think he’s ready to hit mlb pitching and as a young player he’s probably a little burnt as his season is just about over. He’s not walking enough (6.3%) and one of the Flap’s favorite saber stats, wRC+, is at a very pedestrian 108. Those are not numbers that scream *fast track this kid to the big leagues right now.”

Marco Scutaro has played 95 innings in the outfield (out of the 9766 innings he’s played in his career), has been hitting situationally well for us, and is also an option for the LF job….

So it’s time for a Flapper Vote. A waiver wire pick up (like Cody Ross in 2010) is also a possibility. For the purposes of the vote, I am using Andres Torres as the waiver wire player we would pick up…..

1. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Needed that double play because no way did we want HanRam to have another chance to beat us. Great win.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Well, the DP was great- but even one out would have prevented him from beating us.

2. Salty said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm

closer by committee thing looking good ..Cain tomorrow. Should get the sweep!

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I’d be surprised if the comittee isn’t broken up soon.

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Why do you say this Michael? Who will be the full-time closer? I just don’t see them having one person to do it. What am I missing?

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm

It will be Casilla again. Committee is only working because they’re deep. But they can’t keep using that many relievers late.

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Don’t get me wrong…I agree that I would love to have a dedicated closer, but until the last couple of games…Casilla just has not given me much confidence.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Unless you buy that they’ve been lying about the blister problem, he had been nails until then.

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Casilla should be closer. Cement that vital role for good again, it just feels better that way.

3. Alleykat said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm

How about them Giants!! Kicking Ass Twice on those total losers from LA!! SWEET DP TO END IT!!
    Giants showing there the only real team thats gonna win the west.
    Matt Cain is gonna smoke.their asses for the SWEEP tomorrow.Orange&Black Rockin!

4. tedspe said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:05 pm

FUCK…YeeeeEEEEEiiiiAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. unca_chuck said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Crazy shit. The Dogs come in from an epic roadie, and we shut them the fuck down. Timmy wasn’t spectacular, but he kept Kemp in the yard when he needed to. Bochy was smart to pull him when he did.

Props to the D. Timmy has been a bit snakebit by weird plays behind him. Kudos.

6. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Okay…Pagan has been streaky this year, but with what went down with Melky, have any of you Flappers changed your tune re: signing Pagan for next year?

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Sure, if they could get him for just 2013, but they won’t. He’ll get 25-30 million and 3 years from somebody, IMO…

7. chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Awesome fucking win. We owe their sorry asses for when they came into our yard last month and swept us. Time to pay ’em back. Bust out those fucking brooms tomorrow

8. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Pagan has really stepped up lately when he had to take over the lead off spot, which I thought was critical, getting that spot going again after Blanco dropped out. If Angel continues like that through September, that’s golden and yes, perhaps puts him in the team’s focus for a contract. Whether he’ll ask for too much remains to be seen.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm

September is yet to come, one of the cool things is never knowing which guys will step up. Or down. IMO, Panda and Pence are the keys offensively. But you never know.

9. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:24 pm

He’s getting about 5 million now, and has salvaged his rep-as I said above, I see no way he doesn’t get at least 3 years at 8 or 9 million per. Melky’s fuck up could tempt them, though.

10. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm

GNight.

11. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Is the schedule especially fucked up this season? Nine games with AZ in September…

• Macdog said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Wait ’til next year with the interleague games all season.

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Beats the fuck outta doing an east coast 12 game roadie…farthest the Giants travel rest of the year is Chicago.

12. DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I would love to see Romo step up and take over the closer role for the next 5 years. When he’s on he’s got that one unhittable pitch like Mariano who was an 8th inning guy behind Wetteland for a year. Needs to develop the mental part…

• Nipper said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I bet Loo doesn’t eat sushi.

• DJLoo said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm

You are correct, Nip…

• chipower9 said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I could see that. That frisbee slider, when on…is un-fucking-hittable.

• xoot said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Romo doesn’t have the stamina. He’s a righty specialist, and three RHs in a row can wear him out (e.g., HanRam last night). Don’t get me wrong. I greatly admire El Commandante. But he’s not built to be a closer. I think he has the mental make-up to do just about anything; he’s just not a brawny guy.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Not going to happen.

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:54 pm

That was adressing that Romo might be a future closer.

13. zumiee said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Tomorrow the teams go “old school,” with the 3:00 start time. Back in the days of mostly day games, 3:00 was the typical start time. So, extra-inning games would sometimes get suspended because of darkness. And if it turned out that the games weren’t going to affect the Pennant race, then they were left as ties, which is how the Giants/Dodgers franchise record against each other had those ties that Chuck mentioned.

14. paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:57 pm

And not long after my 9:20pm post ragging on announcers for calling a play before it has happened or concluded (“and he’s gonna be out…. no, he’s safe!”) and praising Kuip for not doing it very often, he went and did it on that 6th inning play: “And that’s going to score Ellis….”… Um, no it’s not. Stop doing that….

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Actually, I don’t know if that play happened before or after my post, I’m commenting on seeing and hearing the reply now after the game is over…. But still.

• paulinasia said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:06 pm

that word would be “replay”….

15. zumiee said, on August 21, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Well, the Phillies gave out those Hunter Pence bobbleheads today. They included a note thanking the fans for not throwing them on the field, or something like that.

16. Salty said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Game is at 3 tomorrow???

• twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:39 pm

No. Same as tonight, 7:10, as per MLB.COM and the team website.

17. TedSpe said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I’m shocked. xoot’s back!!!
    Welcome back, counselor

18. Sportdude said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Paulasia..
    Yankee announcer last weekend..
    “It is high! It is far! it’s caught on the track”.. GRR

Great to get a sweep, but you know how we do in these situations. Lets hope we buck the trend..

19. twinfan1 said, on August 21, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Kuip called Belt’s drive a HR the other night…
    Dude: an interloper made a BFD about our conversation about the sweep thing. No one disagrees that a sweep would be good- but whatever happens tomorrow night, we’re leaving LA with a lead and all of us agree that as long as we end the season that way, we could give a flying fuck how it was achieved…

• zumiee said, on August 22, 2012 at 6:56 am

Someone raised the point that the Giants have a hard time finishing out sweeps, and whether is means anything in particular. I think the main thing is that it means, as of now, the Giants are not a great team. There is still a chance for greatness to be achieved, though.

20. eddacker said, on August 22, 2012 at 1:50 am

Affeldt’s Mrs. is expecting soon, so he may be gone from the team for a couple of days. Hence his ‘mostly on the sideline’ status.

21. zumiee said, on August 22, 2012 at 6:58 am

Oops- I was wrong about a 3:00 start. That must be just a replay of last night’s game. Sorry about that!

22. Salty said, on August 22, 2012 at 7:16 am

Thanks for the clarification. I was all set to call in sick.