A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

He who laughs first . . .

Posted in Uncategorized by ewisco on August 25, 2012

It’s been my impression that there is a significant difference when the giants score first. So, I looked into it. When the giants score first, they are 49-16. When the opponent scores first, they (the opponent) are 39-21. The giants have scored 84 runs in the first inning to the opponents 72. When the giants are ahead after 1, they are 33-5 and when they are behind 7-22. The giants are 4-49 when losing after 7. I think it’s pretty obvious that when the white shark (early in the year) and now pagan are hot in the 1 hole, the whole offense works better. maybe that’s the definition of obvious. so, score early, score often.

Not a bad way to go through life. Unless it’s one of the undead . . .

1. paulinasia said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm

The trade doesn’t really affect “the Giants”, and that’s what all the players et al are saying; just need to take care of your own business, your own game, and keep winning. But it does make LA better, don’t kid yourself. A lot of talk here that this trade will hurt the Dogs’ team chemistry; I don’t think they’ve had much to begin with, and I don’t think they care about that. A-Gon will help immensely, and don’t be surprised if Beckett resurges as a starter. My friends in Boston are not moaning about this trade, but they did like A-Gon, who seemed straight up until the Valentine thing happened.

That said, I see the Dogs winning more at first but then as soon as they hit a rough patch, that lack of team chemistry that they’ve never had will surface again. It’s still the Giants’ division to win. The trade itself disgusts me. We now have the Yankees West in our division. It ain’t right, but what can you do… except win anyway and put the bastards in their place.

2. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Hunter Pence is a fucking wild ass enigma. HE should be nicknamed *Crazy Horse*. I did NOT like the trade when I first heard about it but that was when I thought Gary Brown was involved. Maybe in 5 years I’ll rue it. But Joseph just didn’t make me trip for a second.
    Once it was official I decided to go “both feet in” and I still feel fine with that. There are too many things about this guy that I like to bail on him.
    If we are *lucky* this is a 25hr/90RBI//80run/5sb guy. He’s 29 now and as I’ve ALWAYS felt about him, he’s just a *kloogy* looking guy. I’ve got no idea how that *look* ages. I know he was having a pretty average year when we acquired him and that he had a much better year in 2010. Who know, sometimes guys just have shitty years, re-gather in the off season, and bounce back.
    Luckily, we have been able to tolerate his poor production with other players who have stepped up (Pagan, Buster, Arias, Scutaro to name a few).
    We did the same thing when Melky went down………
    It’s just harder to notice because we are winning and Pence is still out there………

3. paulinasia said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm

As I’ve said here before, Pence was a good pickup as a piece to an overall puzzle, a puzzle that was in place for exactly one game before Melk disappeared forever. That was kind of the thing with Rowand; he was supposed to just be a piece for the puzzle Sabes was jigsawing together, but instead, the lineup often wasn’t good enough and Rowand became someone we really needed to constantly perform… which of course he didn’t. Not the same, Pence *is* and I think will be better than Rowand, but he wasn’t acquired to do what LA just did by getting A-Gon. The Giants may well still need another piece, a stable producer in LF, mostly likely, or certainly at least a power player or two for the bench. If a lot of pressure and expectations are on Pence himself, we might be disappointed; if we just need him to produce now and then while others are also producing now and then, he’ll likely be fine. At least personally, he seems a better fit than Melky was.

4. Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:46 pm

A-Gone hit a bomb in his first at bat? Who cares? You guys can’t get swayed and overwhelmed by big names and obvious stats like home runs and specific at bats. He’s not going to do that every night. He went 1-4 with 2 K’s last time I checked.
    I’ve discussed all of this already so I’m not getting into it again, but there many reasons to worry about the Dodgers adding HanRam (overrated), Victorino (non-issue), A-Gone (wild card), C-Craw (hurt) and Beckett (sucks). The back of their baseball cards look pretty. But there are MORE reasons to LQT(yourself) at this entire summer of acquisitions.
    Though I have been righted countless times more, I’ve been wrong many times and I will proudly accept either fate at the outcome of this season.
    We are winning the West………

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:51 pm

and I love it when Loo and others find and re-post my posts that so clearly support what happens in the future. Don’t forget to find this one………

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I said we’d win the West-a few times in the last couple days and all year. Before and after the trade. It just happens to be news that Gonzales hit a HR in his first AB there.

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:03 pm

well, you’re *saying it* but you say that every year. Everyone (including you) seems to have their panties bunched up about all these pick ups. I have steadfastly stayed strong in not sweating them for a fucking second……
        You can’t have it both ways, either renounce your publicly stated fears of the pick ups and pick the Giants to win the West or sit there with your panties bunched up worrying about this non-issue……..

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Settle down. I said Ramirez would be be a signifant acquistion. He has been. I think Gonzales will be also be that. I also said that we’re better now than we were when the Milker went out- we are. I don’t have to renounce anything- the Dodgers are clearly better than they were but not better than we are. Now really, try to be civil.

5. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Surely there’s some fried chicken talk. Paul, I hear KFC is wildly popular in Saigon. I’ve made a dish of fried wings that’s Vietnamese at least in spirit, it’s finished with fish sauce and brown sugar simmereed until the wings are sticky and sooooo good. I sprinkle them with scallions and cilantro. Folks can eat a dozen or more…

6. willedav said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:10 pm

If SF SPs etc are on, who the dodgers pick up isn’t going to matter…remember 2010 playoffs when every team supposedly outmatched us on offense? Pagan outplayed Kemp hands down in LA, Posey scut sandoval hammered their ass, and freaking Joaquin Arias drove in more runs than Hanley. Was it because we were facing inferior pitching? Like say Kershaw, who’ve we now beaten what 3 times already this year?
    Like John wooden used to say, I’m not preparing for the other team, I’m preparing us, for how we are going to win.

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I don’t care what the sport was, whether you had knowledge of it or not, I would pick you to lead us into battle. The pattern of your posts over the years tells me you are a fantastic coach……..

7. paulinasia said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Craig, agree the Giants will still win the west. Hate that LA is now NY-West. Agree that the Dogs STILL don’t have team chemistry. But their production will be better because of this trade. So, SF just needs to be better too (as we’ve been doing of late). I’m already looking forward to that last weekend series of the season when we go into LA within a game or two of the Dogs either way and take the division.

Michael, you’re right, KFC is one of the bigger franchises here in VN (although Subway has entered the franchise market and will grow in popularity), and yes, their condiment offerings include the ubiquitous fish sauce (nuoc mam)… hell, I’ve seen locals eat a dinner at a street stall that consists only of rice and nuoc mam…. Unfortunately, you’re also starting to see some awfully and unnaturally overweight young children because of the increase of fried foods….

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:25 pm

My point, which hasn’t been filtered in, is that it doesn’t matter one whit who anyone gets. It matter how they play as a team. In fantasy baseball none of that matters. You just slap the best producers together and hope for the best from a pure numbers standpoint…..
      But *real* baseball isn’t just *poetry* because it’s a poetic sport to write about. It’s also a poetic sport to play. Together.
      What you’ve done on the back of your baseball card means nothing to me when I’m looking at what you’re going to do tomorrow and how your team is going to perform…….

• Flavor said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm

and so I WILL stand alone as the only blogger here who not only isn’t sweating these Dodger moves but is quietly laughing at them (others are free to join in).
        Listen up all you worried fans: When HanRam blasted Romo’s shitty, spinning shit pitch into the night on July 27th we lost and we were still up 2 games on the Dodgers. They added Victorino and a bunch of other games happened.
        We swept them and then they panicked and pulled off what will one day be seen as THE WORST TRADE IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL. Then they won today and we lost….
        We are still up on those bitches by 2 games…..
        And the gap shall widen by the time the season ends…….
        And I’m not talking from a dumbass fan perspective just hoping and praying for the best. I have listed all the reasons over the last 24 hours that support my opinion of how I think the rest of the season will unfold……….

• DJLoo said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm

*Unbunches panties*

8. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:45 pm

In the second half of 2010 we were finally able to slug with the sluggers in their homes- as I said then. That was huge in the postseason, of course.Nothing was more important than our pitching and, as Willie says, nothing will be more important down the stretch this year. We do of course have more question marks on the pitching staff this year…
    I completely understand your point, Flavor. I have no idea why an honest *opinion* on how the Dodgrers might have improved is so maddening for you. I’ve explained why I think we’re better since Melky left and you agreed. I’ve aldso acknowledhged what is clear- the Dodgers are better than they were- but not good enough to take the West.

9. twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I told you to kill the chicken before eating, Craig 😉

10. SanDawg said, on August 25, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I’ve been out all day…bummed about the loss, but lots of great posts:
    Twin: Made my weekend that you made a RATT reference—google assistance notwithstanding! Full-on aluminum gold star for you.
    Flav: please explain this term “kloogy” you have used a couple of times recently.
    As for A Gone…he’s gonna absolutely mash in LA. Getting him away from Bobby V and the Boston media and back into SoCal playing for a low key guy like Donny TwoTrips is gonna supercharge him. McGriff redux.

Just got back from a beach party thrown by a good friend of my 14 year old son’s. There were 30+ kids there, half of them nice looking girls. (This is a good friend for my son to have) I drove home 4 14 yr old boys in my Bitchin’ Windstar. They were carrying on having a good time on the way home when I announced they all had to tell me who they each thought the hottest girl at the party was before anyone could leave the van. Nervous laughter ensued and it got very quiet for the rest of the ride. As we pulled into the first kid’s driveway, I amended the rules to requiring them to simply name one girl who “looked good,” but once one of them named a girl, she was off the board and the others had to name someone else. They found these parameters more acceptable, but we still sat in the driveway a good 3 minutes before they all came clean. It was a pretty funny moment and we all agreed that the Windstar provided a “cone of silence” and none of the opinions were to be shared on Fbook or Twitter.

ps I think Sutton and Grace do a nice job behind the mic and I’m sorry to hear about my SDSU homeboy Grace having personal troubles and Sutton being on the outs.

• twinfan1 said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Dawg: A few years ago I was having trouble with something or another to do with my internnet connection. Really frustrated, I banged out “shut down, asshole’ on the keyboard… first hit: “Anal Pleasures”.. the internet can be a trip. Anyway, it is totally cool to find out about people one knew nothing about.Gnight..

• ewisco said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:52 pm

kludge or cludge or kloodge. a miltiary/aerospace term. for something that works but doesn’t exactly look good. expedient. quick and dirty.

a great bit of terminology.

11. ewisco said, on August 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm

i don’t seem to be too worked up about the big trade. it’s still in my mind that the teams that do well in the PS are the ones that have to scratch and claw to get there. so, release the kraken.

• twinfan1 said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:00 am

Nobody has been worked up much- a much larger issue than the trade itself is that it goes against the spirit and intent of the waiver wire process. MLB should do away with the waiver wire altogether and simply extend the non-waiver wire trade dealine to August 31 if this is just to be a process only wealthy teams dare particapate in. Just as the Yankees are not at fault for taking advantage of faulty revenue sharing rules, the Dodgers are not to blame for seizing their opporuntity. There’s an important and ominous caveat however-in a tight race a team could consider it in their best interest to lose a game or two if it secured them the opportunity to either block their rival or make a transaction they would have been unable to make if they led in the standings….
      Nearly everyone here has felt the Giants would win the division since day one, and most still think so after this trade. In my mind only Gonzales is a player certain to improve the Dodgers- not enough. And at over 70 million in payroll obligations just next year for the newbies who will fail to bring them to the promised land, I don’t think many SF fans are having bunched panty issues right now. Me? I’m having two more pieces of chicken- great at room temp, coconut cake, and some 2 percent. I’ll suffer tomorrow. Big time…

12. TedSpe said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:00 am

13. TedSpe said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:01 am

Yup
    Ya’lls a fool

14. TedSpe said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:05 am

Goodnight, gentlemen
    And…bleep?

• twinfan1 said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:14 am

Night, Ted. Care for the pope’s nose? I saved it. Often referred to as the last part over the fence, it’s so delicious and you know what they say about “what doesn’t kill you…” bon appetit, my friend.
      Sometimes called the “Parson’s Beak” or the “Gateway to Heaven”..
      beak

15. Rooster said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:13 am

Team chemistry? Who gives a fuck about team chemistry? The history of Sports is full of Championship teams that didn’t all hang out together away from the ballpark or the arena – and more than a few who plain didn’t like each other. So you think the Dodgers don’t have any team chemistry because some of these players had bad reps with some other team? Think again. Hanley’s never been happier – he credits Manny Mota for being a father figure from day one, and the team has welcomed him into the fold. It’s a clean slate when these guys start over on a new team – I’m not saying down the road (next season, the season after…) something might change, but there’s only a little over a month to go – not enough time for cancers to take hold – if they ever will.

As far as the Gonzalez trade – I can’t say I like the idea of including the two arms in the deal – De La Rosa was hitting 100 mph before TJ surgery and is already back to hitting high 90’s, Webster projects to a ceiling of a #2 or #3 starter – not sad to see Loney go – he’s been a black hole at 1st for years. The money? It’s not as much as it looks at 1st glance. The Angels are paying Pujols more than the Dodgers are paying all 3 of Gonzo, Beckett, and Crawford – and Gonzo was the only one Dodgers really wanted – Beckett and Crawford were just throw-ins because the Sox didn’t want the contracts and those contracts are just a drop in the bucket for the Guggenheimers.

Team chemistry? – you mean like all the high-fives and the back-slapping Gonzo was getting for hitting a 3-run bomb in his 1st at-bat for the Dodgers? Oooooh, THAT team chemistry.

• twinfan1 said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:33 am

You kinda lost your Pope’s Nose in the operation, yes? Hi, Capon. Truly- nice to see you. Been a long supper for you.Got a kick out of Magic declaring “it was a smart trade”… and as he tucked in for the night… “it was a smart trade”… “it was a smart trade”… “it was a smart trade”…”it was a smart trade”… zzzzzzzzz… Here, Ted got the best part but here’s a tasty wing. Mmmmm… go on over to my fried chicken page (link to right) and tell us about your favorite… don’t be a stranger.

• Rooster said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:37 am

Hey, twin – glad to see you’re still here going strong.

16. Rooster said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:34 am

Here’s how the new contracts fit in with the Dodgers’ existing commitments beyond this season (all dollar figures in millions, and all annual salaries taken from Cot’s Baseball Contracts):

Player 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
    Gonzalez $21.00 $21.00 $21.00 $21.00 $21.50 $21.50
    Crawford $20.00 $20.25 $20.50 $20.75 $21.00 Free Agent
    Beckett $15.75 $15.75 Free Agent
    Subtotal $56.75 $57.00 $41.50 $41.75 $42.50 $21.50
    Dodgers existing $135.51 $76.66 $48.46 $46.96 $47.46 $29.00
    Total $192.26 $133.66 $89.96 $88.71 $89.96 $50.50

Sure 2013 is a little high but after that, flexibility returns.

• Rooster said, on August 26, 2012 at 12:39 am

well that didn’t work out the way I had it in the window – it didn’t accept all my space bar additions.

• Nipper said, on August 26, 2012 at 4:44 am

Rooster no one cares. Dodgers suck anyway. Just a collection of bums from other teams. BOO HISS!

17. WilcoJoe said, on August 26, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I predicted in April (I wish there was a search function) that this race would come down to the Giants and Dodgers and would be “one for the ages.” While it’s not a “Flav like prediction”, I will still pat myself on the back 🙂