A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Chicago

Posted in Uncategorized by unca_chuck on August 31, 2012

No, not a Broadway review. And yeah, today’s game kinda sucked. What with everyone sleepwalking through it. but I’m talking Chi-town, the Windy city, the city of big shoulders, Second city, Daaaa Bearsss. Daaa Cubsss. Daaa Bullsss. Whatever you call it, and however you feel about it, it’ll always be a 2nd home to me. Even though I’ve only been there twice. I may not have spent too much time there, but both my parents and all my grandparents (and great grandparents) were born and raised in Chicago. Two of my sisters were born there as well. My grandfather used to tell us stories of growing up on the south side and getting in a lot of fights because he was a Cubs fan through and through, and how he broke his leg when he was 12 chasing after a foul ball at Wrigley (yeah, he got it. Don’t know where that ball went, though). They all lived in the Irish section down near St. Bride’s church and school. So, I’ve only been there twice. Once in 1968 to see my mom’s brother, the original Uncle Chuck and his family, and again in 1995 for a wedding in northern Indiana.

That trip in 1968 I saw Juan Marichal pitch against the Cubs. What an incredible game that was. We got there early and hung out down by 1st base as long as we could, and it was so cool. You could hear the players chatting and laughing 15′ away. Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Mays, McCovey, Jimmy Ray Hart, and all those Giants of the day. I was dumbstruck, and wished we could have sat there all day. As it was, we were about 30 rows up in short right field. The Giants won somthing like 8-3. Marichal was great, and someone on the Giants homered that day. Mighta been McCovey. My cousins were pissed, but I got to gloat that night. Flash forward to 1995, when my oldest friend John (we met in 2nd grade) was getting married in Indiana, so my wife and I and his bride-to-be decided to head out there early and spend some time in Chicago. This was June, so it wasn horrendously hot, but it was getting there. The 3 nights before the wedding were epic. Went to Rush St. and hit a shitload of bars. Caught some shit for all the Giants gear we were sporting, but half the people there were from out of town anyway. Next night we went to Buddy Guy’s Blues club. Some killer bands played all night, and the highlight was seeing Lonnie Youngblood’s son play guitar with Buddy Guy. They played til 3:30 am. Of course we had tickets to the Cubs-Dodgers game the next day. Bleacher seats. And of course it was 104º that day, and humid. My wife and the bride to be gave up by the 3rd inning, but the groom and I HAD to start drinking heavily just to reach the point of feeling good enugh not to die out there in the heat. Turns out the Cubbies were as shitty as we felt, and they lost 7-0. Even the bleacher bums were too tired to give us shit about being Giants fans. I just wanted to see the Dodgers go down but it wasn’t to be.

Last thing. My mom and I were walking through the south side on that 1995 trip and she was showing me all the places she used to hang out. Some of them were still around from her day (mid to late 30s), and when we walked past this market, I hear this little Italian guy yelling Margie! Margie! from the back of the store.Yeah, that what they called her back then. But this old guy, who hadn’t seen my mom since somthing like 1946, recognized her 50 years later. He ran out, gave her a hug, and they chatted for a few minutes, he gave her a good-bye kiss, shook my hand, and we went on our way. I thought, holy shit, that’s the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. But hey, that’s my kind of town.

1. TedSpe said, on August 31, 2012 at 10:58 pm

My Kinda Town. Chuck. Pure poetry my friend.
    Nice

2. Salty said, on August 31, 2012 at 11:11 pm

BUMS LOSE IN 11! Fuck em.

3. zumie said, on September 1, 2012 at 2:18 am

I’ve never been to Chicago, but I’ve read quite a bit about it. Theodore Dreiser’s 1900 novel “Sister Carrie” captures the city very well at that time.
    And the Giants and Cubs were big National League rivals for the pennant in the early 1900s, including the 1908 “Merkle’s boner” year, the last time the Cubs won the World Series. The latest big history between the ballclubs was the ’89 playoffs, and that one-game playoff….’98, I think? I guess I should look that up, because I remember absolutely nothing about that one-game playoff. I just remember thinking, yeah- typical Giants, lose that kind of game. Man oh man, 2010 buried a lot of skeletons, as Sabean said.

4. zumiee said, on September 1, 2012 at 2:31 am

I just looked up the game in Wikipedia. The Cubs had won a coin toss, and got to host the game. The Cubs won 5-3, Mark Gardner was the losing pitcher. Rod Beck got the save for the Cubs. Of, course, this was the season that Sosa was in steroidal bliss. And as many have suggested, it was the acclaim that Sosa and McGwire got that season that inspired Barry Bonds to partake of the substances. Bonds went 0-4 in the game, twice not coming up big with the bases loaded.

“The game remained scoreless in the early innings, with only two baserunners apiece for each team through the first three innings. The Giants loaded the bases with two outs in the top of the 4th inning, but Brian Johnson struck out to end the inning. The first runs of the game came in the top of the 5th as Henry Rodriguez singled to lead off the inning and scored on a home run by Gary Gaetti to give the Cubs a 2–0 lead. The Cubs threatened again in the next inning with singles by Lance Johnson and Sammy Sosa. Rich Rodriguez relieved Gardner, but loaded the bases with a walk to Mark Grace and allowed a single to Matt Mieske which scored two more runs and extended the Cubs’ lead to 4–0. John Johnstone relieved Rodriguez and closed the inning without further scoring.
    After getting one out in the top of the 7th, Steve Trachsel allowed a single and a walk to pinch hitters Brent Mayne and Armando Rios respectively. The Cubs double switched, bringing in Matt Karchner to relieve Trachsel and Orlando Merced to play left field. Karchner induced another out before loading the bases on a single by Shawon Dunston. Felix Heredia entered in relief of Karchner and got Barry Bonds to ground out to first base to end the inning. The Cubs further extended their lead in the bottom of the 8th inning. After Alvin Morman got Morandini to strike out to open the inning the Giants double switched to bring in José Mesa to pitch and Bill Mueller at third base. Mesa allowed a single to Sammy Sosa and a double to Mark Grace which advanced Sosa to third. Following a ground out Mesa threw a wild pitch while facing Gaetti and Sosa scored to make the game 5–0.
    The Giants responded in the top of the 9th, scoring their only runs of the game. Kevin Tapani allowed successive singles to Brent Mayne and Mueller to open the inning before Terry Mulholland relieved him. Stan Javier singled to score Mayne and Ellis Burks then walked to load the bases. Bonds came to bat with the bases loaded for the second time in the game and lined out to deep right field, scoring Mueller on a sacrifice fly and Javier advanced to third base. Rod Beck entered and got successive outs by Jeff Kent, which scored Javier, and Joe Carter to end the game 5–3 for the Cubs.”

5. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 3:30 am

Excellent story unca, excellent city and I should have given the Cubbies more props on Twin’s ‘second fav team’ topic as it would be them over the years, Partly ’cause they had great fans while having losing seasons, just like my Giants. Partly because of Wrigley; the whole “baseball should be played in the daytime” thing, too. I have been to Chicago twice, once on a long lay-over on St. Pats day; they dyed the whole Chicago River green. What a celebration in contrast to the UK where there is none. The second time I flew there for a game. I have mentioned that my memories of old events isn’t all that great. 1991? It was a giants game but all I remember is looking around and going, “this is fucking Wrigley Stadium!”. I love Wrigley. My great-great grandparents landed there from Germany in the 1840s, They had owned a butcher shop in Germany, so it seems logical. Ten years later they moved to SF, but a bit of the Windy City is in my spirit, too.

Hope Nipper isn’t mad at you, he likes ’em short and sweet. 🙂

6. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 3:38 am

R. A. Dickey complete game shutout 5 hitter. Loverly, nothing like a hi-speed knuckle to confound a season’s worth of hitters.

7. Nipper said, on September 1, 2012 at 5:21 am

Wake up Willie! Get the coffee going.

8. Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 5:25 am

I have had a lot of fun in Chicago, from the South Side to the Loop to the North side. If it wasn’t for the winters, I would probably have moved there at one point in my life. That whole pocket of the Mid-West. Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison and Minneapolis had some really fun ladies. After a cold winter some of these fine ladies were ready to roll if you had the rock, and I’m not talking drugs here.
    If any of you happen to be in Chicago this weekend and if you have a taste for Polish ladies with big racks, may I suggest the Taste of Polonia festival, unbelievable. .

9. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 7:18 am

Holy sh1t, it is only hours until gametime. hope the boys slept well last night.

From ELIAS: In Wild Card Era, 73% of teams in position to make the playoffs entering the games of
    September 1 eventually made the playoffs.

10. WilcoJoe said, on September 1, 2012 at 7:33 am

First trip to Chicago was for my brother’s graduation from Navy boot camp. Missed opening day by about a week as it was late March and the Cubbies were still in Mesa…Was able to take a tour of Wrigley, but that certianly doesn’t count in my book…Last trip to Chicago was New Years Eve of 2002 to see the Drive By Truckers play a great little music club called Schubas in Wrigleyville…Wilco’s (the band not me) late guitarist Jay Bennett, whom I had the opportunity to meet over the years, opened the show…A great Texas band called Centro-Matic followed and the Truckers nearly tore the roof off the place.

Outside of San Francisco and Austin, that’s probably my third favorite city in America.

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 7:35 am

Austin?

• blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:01 am

Austin is a great city Ted. Music scene is outstanding too. I like two cities in Texas – one is Austin and the other is San Antonio. The rest of Texas . . . Let’s just say I wouldn’t have joined the gig at the Alamo. 🙂

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:12 am

I believe you blade. And Wilco. It was just a knee-jerk reaction post. For whatever reason generally after San Francisco I expect NYC. Maybe that’s just me

11. Flavor said, on September 1, 2012 at 7:36 am

I’ve never been to Chicago but I *felt* like I’ve been after reading your post. Fantastic thread, Chuck. It was so good I couldn’t stop myself from going in and editing it a bit from a spell check/grammar stand point. 🙂 Hope that was cool.
    All 3 of these games are day games and while I get why that’s cool and all that jazz it means I *might* get to see one (or part of one) of these games live–just too much shit to do during the day to catch a full day game (unless I go to one).
    Chuck, how in the freaking hell did that cat recognize your mom after 50 years? Did she age really, really well or something? That’s insane.

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 7:40 am

And I just fixed your typo 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 7:47 am

I remember when I started using Facebook 3 years ago . . . Immediately, I hooked up with almost a dozen cats from grade and high school, that I hadn’t seen or heard from since 1982. Facebook has an unbelievable search engine; or, perhaps the reason I was able to connect with them is due to so many people being part of Facebook.* Who knows? Fast forward almost a year later, I visit the SF bay area and all of us get together for lunch. It was discombobulating hearing the same voices come from faces and bodies that had either gotten significantly heavier, lighter and/or older. Almost like being an actor in the Invasion Of The Body Snatchers remake. Great fun catching up though . . . 🙂

* I will never join, use, or whatever they do with Twitter. Shoot me if I do.

12. TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 7:38 am

I’ve only been to Chicago as a stopover at O’Hare. I remember the toilets at that airport were fascinating. Self-cleaning rotating thingie going on. This is not a dig on that toddlin’ town. I’ve always wanted to visit it proper

13. blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 7:38 am

I love when you guys tell good stories. Chuck you knocked it out of the park. Yeah, Ted was spot on about your thread being pure poetry . . . or, a bunch of great riffs from a Chicago or Illinois band, such as Cheap Trick (actually from Rockford, but who cares), Styx, or REO Speedwagon. Again, great stuff!

• eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:05 am

Agree, blade, chuck nailed that one, great story.

• Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:19 am

Rockford actually has one of the largest music festivals in Illinois. They put up stages on the streets throughout the town. I remember trying to finish our set a little early so I could see the end of Alice Cooper’s set. I hadn’t seen him since the 70s when he was opening for Zappa.

• blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:22 am

Wow! Good stuff clown. John, on this blog, you’re to music, what Ted is to movies. 🙂

• Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:54 am

Blade, I don’t know about the whole music thing, I play drums. I remember sitting in the hotel bar before going down to the festival and just watching the whole Katrina thing. We donated half of our take on Merch sales that night to the Red Cross.

• Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:18 am

This is a shot of me at the Rockford On The Waterfront Festival (which is also this weekend for those in Chicago that want to get out of town).

johnnyjackonstage

14. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 7:59 am

No belt and No Whitey
    Pagan cf,
    Scutaro 2b,
    Sandoval 3b,
    Posey 1b,
    Pence rf,
    Sanchez c,
    Nady lf,
    Crawford ss,
    Lincecum

• Flavor said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:07 am

A line up including Nady is shady……..

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:09 am

hahaha

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:09 am

Posey at 1st. Not a surprise

15. willedav said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:13 am

Among the more clueless things I did in college was drive back to the Windy to see a buddy of mine who was at Northwestern. I was on Easter break for a week in March, and here in south bay that’s often shirtsleeve weather. By the time I got there, what a rude awakening. It was 40 in the day, and got down to 20s at night, which I was in no way prepared for. Cubs were still in AZ doing ST, where I shoulda been.
    The recordings done in the early 50s that became known as the Chicago Blues (electric version) sound became a record collecting obsession for me by late 60s/early 70s. I lost this stuff in an apt fire, but I still enjoy listening to Muddy Waters and James Cotton et al, who have been an inspiration for musicians that still carry on that legacy and play the same style.

16. ewisco said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:19 am

Lived in chi town for 6 months. left town literally as the first snow flakes were hitting the pavement. Love it there. if i had to do college again, i would try for chicago. wonderful, friendly, beer-drinking women. I’ve lived in and around NY, LA, SF and chicago. by far chicago had the prettiest women. i kept turning my head every time i walked down the street. Wife was born near there and still has relatives in the suburbs. they have a huge family party every august. we were in town on vacation once and she called them. she hadn’t seen them in something like 25 years. we went out to visit. wife had train schedule so we could leave early and get back to hotel. we left, but not until noon the next day. what a hoot. we asked the boys where they want to go next year for vacation and they immediately said chicago. which is odd because they grew up in NJ and we thought they would want to visit their buddies. nope. so it’s off to the omni on huron (we lived 2 blocks up on huron). swimming in the lake, dinner at the blue crab lounge (shaw’s crab house) as well as some deep dish and steaks. we always take in a game, either the cubs or the sox, sometimes both. boys have gear for both. I do love me some wrigley though. don’t like the new sox stadium. and way to much noise and blather between innings. i hate that. i do NOT need to be *entertained* between innings. let me talk to my neighbor and watch the teams warm up. ATT is obnoxious if you’re sitting in the lower sections. and don’t get me started on renel.

17. ewisco said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:20 am

I have gone 2 days without a tv accident.

• eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 9:42 am

Renel is walking by your window and the TV is evil

• ewisco said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:43 am

i’ll make it look like an accident.

18. Salty said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:23 am

Maybe Nady can surprise. Did show some pop in Fresno, so maybe the wrist pain is manageable. But Nats chose to go with DeRosa as the backup. On the other hand, Blanco looks awful lately. It was said G’s were still trying to get a LF off waivers, but no dice.

Good stuff, Chuck. Reminds me of a 2001 trip to Wrigley. August. Humidity like I’ve never experienced in my life. Take about 4 showers a day. Bozo, I know what you mean about the ladies. One thing I loved about the midwest women are honest, straightforward and approachable. Not like most of the aloof, nose up their arse types in Cali. Close friend of mine is Royko’s nephew, so I got a great tour of the city he grew up in. Ended up at the Billy Goat (immortalized by Sat Night Live) where they have a shrine to his uncle. Cheeseburgers and beer were on the house.

• Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:12 am

Salty, I love the Billy Goat. Nothing says dive like the smell of old grease and spilt beer.

19. willedav said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:28 am

Maybe I’m just being naive, but I don’t buy the conspiracy theory on Posey not catching zito or lincecum due to a bad relationship. No way this time of year do you want Posey’s bat on the bench; Lincecum is also the most difficult of the starters to work with in terms of having to C and block stuff in the dirt so it’s the most demanding workout of the 5. Today he is Hector’s problem, and hopefully the cubs for a long time as well.
    Maybe this was worked out ahead of time btw bochy and Posey on the flight and has more to do with Cubs pitching matchups where bochy goes with a different LU vs. LHP. They were all tired yesterday, and Posey deciding he could C and play and didn’t need a day off doesn’t bring up dark stuff, to me. Quite the opposite.
    I also don’t think it has anything to do with how they have performed, either. Hector was behind the plate the day Z walked the bases loaded and then gave up the slam. If he doesn’t have it and puts guys on and isn’t fooling anyone, Bench as his C wouldn’t help. Same with Tim–Posey is not the guy who can’t control his fastball and is leaving pitches in the middle of the plate….unlike 2010. I don’t see how their compatability could have gone that far downhill since then.

• blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:45 am

Agree Williedav, It sounds good in the blogosphere, so that’s why it’s discussed. Even if these guys are occasionally at each others throats, it’s more due to how competitive each player is, then any dislike toward one another. I compare it to a family – when haven’t you had a heated disagreement with a brother or sister? Sheesh, before becoming adults, my brother and I fought like cats and dogs and it was usually in regard to sports. Anywho, this is much ado about nothing in my opinion.

• Salty said, on September 1, 2012 at 8:58 am

I never bought the rift theory either. The demands of catching Lincecum seems the most plausible explanation given how they have tried to limit the wear and tear on Posey’s ankle.

• Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:24 am

Agreed Salty. A few days ago I was being absurd by saying really Tim didn’t want to have Belt out there (at the time I thought it was just as plausible as Tim telling Boch he didn’t want the All Star catcher to catch). Twin mentioned and Zumie went into some detail about how beat up a catcher gets with Timmy throwing, I’ll buy that as an explanation.

20. blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 9:06 am

It wont help right now, but in the off-season, I hope the Giants put Shin-Soo Choo on their potential shopping list. Rotowire is reporting:

“Choo is unlikely to agree to a contract extension with the Indians and will likely be shopped during the offseason, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports.
    Spin: Indians GM Chris Antonetti said the Indians have tried to reach an extension with Choo “multiple times” over the past few seasons, but Choo remains unwilling to commit long-term to the Indians. The Pirates, Dodgers, and Rangers were among the teams who inquired about Choo at the July 31 trade deadline.”

The only drawback (and it’s a big one insofar as I am concerned) is that Choo’s agent is Scott Boras.

21. willedav said, on September 1, 2012 at 9:10 am

Loved waking up and seeing the headline in Chron sports, “Spartans put big time scare into Cardinal” as Furd holds off Jose State 20-17. I went to Jose state in 70s, and I realize this is their super bowl while Cards have bigger fish to fry. but, Shaw has to show me he can really coach–I don’t blame the kicker for last season Fiesta near as much as I do Shaw for letting it get to that. He f-ed up, big time, WITH Andrew Luck. Once teams figure out the new kid is a dinker, they will crowd the line and get in his face and gear up to stop running game. Jose held on a critical 4th and 1 in 4th Q and stuffed Taylor last night, so we’ll see how Shaw adjusts.
    Jose moved the ball consistently second half and tied the game after being down 14-0. Sure Stanford has a great running game and excellent TE in toilolo and a lot of players back on d including Skov who wasn’t there due to suspension last night. But in two weeks you’ve got the Spoiled Children coming to town and Barkley isn’t going to have to outduel Luck this time around. And SC is serious about playing in the big one, conference and beyond.

22. blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 9:33 am

The “high” altitude is obviously getting to the General Manager, Dan O’Dowd in Denver or he is smoking some really good weed. He’s decided that next year the Rockies will continue to use 4 starters, with a 75 pitch count and possibly – this part is really funny – an 8 arm pitching staff. Here is an excerpt from the article:

“Rather than four starters and three “piggyback” relievers, the Rockies ideally would like to employ an octopus: eight arms.

There would be four starters on a 75-pitch count and four “hybrid” pitchers, trained starters limited to 50 pitches. Two pitchers, in essence, would be asked to perform the previous job of a starter — get the team as deep as possible into a game.

So, hypothetically, the Rockies next year could have a starting staff of Jorge De La Rosa, Jhoulys Chacin, Jeff Francis and Drew Pomeranz, followed by the likes of Tyler Chatwood, Alex White, Juan Nicasio and Christian Friedrich as the piggyback pitchers. The parts would be relatively interchangeable given the pitch counts involved.”

Here is the rest of the article:

23. twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 9:41 am

When WHITESIDE caught Tim when Posey was available, the jig was up, boys- there’s a problem. That was night game after a day game- the excuse? Buster was a bit worn out from the warm weather the day before. But Whitey is all the proof anyone needs-when Belt sat in favor of the legendary Whitey bat, it became official- there’s a rift between our Faces of the Franchise…

• twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 9:48 am

Related: it’s callled the “swipe tag”, not the “Dive, Lunge, and Miss” tag…

• Salty said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:07 am

Maybe Belt sat that day because he was in 3/ 31 funk. 😉

• twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:16 am

September 7, 2012:
      “With Hector Sanchez and Eli Whiteside nursing injuries, manager Bruce Bochy announced that Brad Penny will be behind the plate catching Tim Lincecum in the opener of the Dodger series, with Posey at first base.Denying any rift between his two young stars, Bochy said that Penny’s girth would provide a natural backstop for balls in the dirt..”

24. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 1, 2012 at 9:47 am

Mount Shady shouldn’t diss Nady. Huff may puff again like a dragon. I love the Rockies pitching experiment, a la my concept of essentially blurring the line between starters and relievers, as in the All-Star Game. (I also love it because it’ll be a cf; let them do it, not us.) Can’t Bochy bring in Dr. Phil for our Timmy and Buster?

25. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 1, 2012 at 9:49 am

Chuck, praise to you for a lyrical tribute to Chi-town. Gorgeous. Well done, mate. My first trip to Chicago was a middle-of-the-night drunken ride from Dayton to Wrigley. It is a whole chapter in my next book.

26. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 1, 2012 at 9:50 am

Via Buster Olney, check this stat out. We were 2nd in runs in MLB in August. So, naysayers, STFU.

• blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:00 am

Is the middle word of that acronym, “Feck?”

27. Alleykat said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:06 am

Well if Whitey catches even 1 game down the pennant stretch, Bochy should be “flogged and feathered” and placed in McCovey Cove on a perch so the seagulls can peck and shit away on him.

28. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

That sucks, Mike, but I gotta go with what you are saying. Strange is what I thought recently, but there have been too many moves recently to say, coincidence. *SOMETHING* is up.

29. Salty said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:23 am

Welcome aboard Nady!

30. twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:23 am

LOL

31. DJLoo said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:23 am

Best Giant debut since McCovey!

32. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:26 am

Lincecum is smiling ear to ear. Last time I saw Germano pitch he was just like this first inning and we are smart enuff to take advantage.

33. Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

If the Tim and Posey thing is real, just switch Posey and Panda.

34. blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

Nady’s hit is so out of left field that I would compare it to a Fantasy League waiver wire pickup that you do at the last minute before game time because of an injury on your roster and it works out fabulously, making you look like Casey Stengel. You couldn’t write a better script.

35. Flavor said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

Nady reminding us vaguely of Kevin Mitchell joining the team in the same city 25 years ago…..(not a bomb like Mitch, but still).

36. Flavor said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:29 am

I didn’t see the double, was it hit well?

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:31 am

37. TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:30 am

Nady may be shady
    But if he wants
    He can have my lady
    But just one time
    One time
    After that
    Gets a little jady

38. twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:32 am

Raked down the 3rd base line..

39. Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:32 am

Nady swung the same way at Cal and now someone is going to be called a genius for finally giving him a shot. Someone also finally figured out that Blanco was struggling and that now, all of a sudden, these games “really” count. Apparently more than the other 130 odd games we played. Psssshaw!

• twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

You’re really stretching in your need to trash Bochy…

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:48 am

I’m not sure who is responsible for overlooking Nady’s talents and Blanco’s issues. I suspect it goes deeper than him. Any manager who says that, now, these games are all of a sudden “more important” deserves to be trashed. It’s just plain stupid but he said it. I don’t hate him or think he is necessarily a bad manager. I think he has done some good things and I think he has a pretty tough and thankless job. I do think it’s important to call a spade a spade though. I was hailing his managing the last week and am surprised to see him trying to close out series, seeming to be happy to settle for 2 out of 3. My biggest issue with him was the same as my issue with Dusty, who i like a lot. That is they both don’t seem to have the killer instinct. However, much of my whining is just frustration and I am grateful knowing that I will be cited for being brash by others here.

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:49 am

The whole “someone” thing.
        Too cute. And, yes, brash.
        And Bochy never “settled” for 2 out of 3. He’s accepted

• eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

“someone” said that before

• twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:55 am

Nady has kinda been in the bigs for awhile, Robbie. I’m not sure where you get that anyone here overlooked him. He didn’t belong to us.

• twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:05 am

What’s your opinion of Travis Ishikawa, Robbie?
        As to Nady, as you should know, he played for Bochy before. Some would say that’s the only reason he’s here. In fact, Bochy’s Padres gave Xavier his first shot. Now he’s giving him another, in what is surely the twilight of Xavier’s career. You have nowhere to go on this…

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:15 am

I know all about Nady, saw him at Cal in the eighties, the “most” decorated Cal player ever, his two Tommy John’s and injuries. Did not recall him playing for Bochy but I think the Padres drafted him if I’m not mistaken. He’s been around and is a stud. I thought he’d been in our system for a while and God knows we need him. i do so enjoy those of you who defend Bochy, so touching, it nearly brought a tear to my eye, but I don’t think I endanger his longevity.

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:16 am

Actually, I meant to say I saw Nady at Cal in the nineties, I wasn’t around in the eighties.

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:18 am

Twilight of his career? He’s 33 so I expect he could have a few more good years and I’d settle for a couple of months over what I’ve seen from our bench. Ishi is fine but my memory of him is that he would not improve this team. He’s a bench player with good D and occasional power. Why do you ask?

• twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm

He has not been in our system “awhile[‘- he’s was picked up on waivers and he’s been here since early August. I’m sorry, Robbie, but you are not terribly informed. And nothing of what I’ve said is “defending Bochy, but it’s refuting your factual errors. I actually think Xavier was a worthwhile pick up, I said so at the time. But his “studly” days are behind him..

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I’m not terribly informed? You seem to be running for the King of Gotcha’s Title. I will bet 100 to 1 that you have never played on any sport’s team in your life, and that when you were a kid, you weren’t allowed to even fetch a jug of water. I didn’t come here for your stupid game, so try it with someone else.

40. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

so far the strike zone looks good, but high. low pitches not called strikes ones up are.
    nope, on Soriano’s ab ump had the top and bottom, but moved the sides of the zone 2″ toward the batter.

41. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:46 am

48 pitches through 2 for Germano.
    that was that low strike that is deemed under the strike zone by this ump, Tim looking good

42. TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:47 am

Two balls and no strikes.
    Reminds me of my sex life lately
    (TMI?)

• blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

lqtm

• blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

. . . and I laugh because you’re not the “lone ranger.” Misery loves company. 🙂

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

Thanks, blade. But you’ve been hiking the old Appalachian Trail more than I.
        I salute you, sir

43. TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

Nice 3-6-3

44. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 10:56 am

Wrigley – – let the good times roll.

45. Alleykat said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:05 am

Man with Nady’s BL experience and time,you tbink he could get a # better then 68?Jesus that’s a rook’s # in ST getting Bochy’s morning coffee.

46. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:07 am

Sanchez walks to mound and tells Tim, “go over to first and ask Buster what to do.”

47. Flavor said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

I think it’s just a wee bit early to be deciding if “Nady in LF” is a good or bad idea. He had one at bat. It’s great that it worked out but….one….hit.
    He’s been hurt most of the year and then he needed time to find his timing in Fresno. Bringing him up before they finally did would have been stupid and Nady would have been the first to tell you that. He’s got his timing down, it’s working out fine since we have a black hole in LF and need production from that spot and Nady’s timing seems to be where he wants it. His 1st at bat was good. Let’s see how the others go.
    But had he been brought up earlier he would have likely contributed to the black hole, not enlightened it as he started to do so today…….

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:22 am

So is he eligible for October and on?

• Flavor said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:27 am

yes. I’m not sure if a guy on the current 40 man (who was here before him) needs to get DL’s first to add him to the PS roster, but he will be eligible if they want him to be.

• Alleykat said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:25 am

Agree BF….Hell Nady would not even had been called up if he didnt finally find a groove in Fresno.Hell he started out 3-24 or something batting .118 before hitting 5-6 HR’s which locked up a call up.
      Boch will Milk him now though,hoping he catches a month of Pat the Bat lighting in a bottle.

48. Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

Now where is that hook …

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

It’s 5-2 Giants. Lighten up, Francis

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:21 am

I was just talking for Zito, my favorite milquetoast.

• Alleykat said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:32 am

Where’s your Drill Sargent son?
        Blown up sir!!!!!!!!

49. TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

Uhm…oops

50. Alleykat said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:13 am

That one landed on Sheffield Ave.Just alittle to much of the plate Timmy.Ouch.

51. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:27 am

Yes, Nady is eligible for post season play replacing Freddy on Aug 31

• Alleykat said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:51 am

They just take any useable parts left on Freddy’s body and adds them to Nady’s on the call up to complete the season ending DL and career of Mr.Glass.But still thanks for the memories of 2010 Freddy.

52. zumie said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:35 am

I heard Alex P., the Giants beat writer for the Merc, on the KNBR pre-game show today, and Lurie asked him why Posey doesn’t catch Tim, and Alex said he thinks it’s because catchers get beat up catching Lincecum, and it makes sense for Bochy to put Posey at first on those days, or give him a day off. With absolutely no evidence of a rift between Tim and Posey, this seems the most logical explanation, until we learn otherwise.

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:56 am

Do you really trust a beat writer who won’t give his full last name?

• Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I agree Zum, the other day when you and twin brought up the getting beat up while catching Tim theory, that made the most sense to me.

• twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Tim has always been tough on catchers- probably even tougher when he’s pitching well- as he’s bouncing those breakers more often, not hanging them..

53. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 11:58 am

I sure hope we have more to talk about with Nady than his first hit/rbis début in Chicago.

54. twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Nady doesn’t have to do a lot be worth the gamble on him- I think that’s been pointed out about September baseball before. And if LF continues to a weak spot, it means we have one weak spot in our starting 8. It’s not the BFD it’s been made out to be.

• twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Not that it was a big gamble. I think they’re paying him twelve dollars..

55. Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:30 pm

It’s September and bullpen tryouts are in full bloom for the Giants. Mijares and Mota and Afledt and Romo and Lopez will get their work but not seeing a closer in sight yet. Sure hope emergence happens soon.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Bullpen tryouts? That is an inane comment. It actually doesn’t deserve a retort but I couldn’t let it pass.

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Do you have a closer in mind?

56. Alleykat said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Agree Twin.It’s a No-Risk high possible reward with Nady,just like how it was with Burrell in 2010,and we all no how well that turned out.
    Simple reasoning really,Blanco is struggling,19K’s in past 41 AB’s,Boch needs more production out in LF,Nady started getting his swing back,boom he’s in there as it should be.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm

If Nady becomes this year’s version of a late-inning Nate Schierholtz defensive replacement, fine. His portfolio of webgems this year is well documented.

57. Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I would love to see Blanco bring back the old drag bunt.

58. Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Any bets on how many relief pitchers we use today? Bullpen tryouts c’mon.

59. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm

CBC gives me two worries: too many guys getting heated up too many times over the course of 5 or 6 games. And pitchers not getting fully warmed up when they come in the game, because they are getting up and down in late innings.

60. unca_chuck said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:05 pm

FWIW, Robbie, Twin played single A ball for the Pirates.

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Must have been great fun in the clubhouse. FWIW.

• twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Chuck- I was offered a contract for the Twin’s low low A affiliate, my Dad turned it down on my behalf.

61. unca_chuck said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Casilla will eventually get back to closing.

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm

You mean after his punishment is over?

• unca_chuck said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Talk about not getting it.

• Robbie Lou said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Sure let’s do it.

62. Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Romo time.

63. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm

He may not bat pretty or field pretty, but I like Hunter Pence. Talk about Freak. Plays all out.

64. Nipper said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:15 pm

GIANTS WIN with no closer! Nady is already paying dividends.

• Nipper said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Worried Flappers can relax for another day.

65. unca_chuck said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Tim Tim with a nice win . . . Ballgame!

66. Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm

WTG Giants.

67. eddacker said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:18 pm

And that’s the ball game.
    And that’s something for the dogers to think about.
    And that’s my queue to cook dinner.
    that’s all folks, Chicago, my kinda town.
    did I mention? I love Wrigley. Day games. giants wins, think I’ll make some garlic fries.

68. shaman138 said, on September 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Has anyone compared the Dodgers Sept. schedule to the Giants Sept. schedule? Well, I have, and it’s so beautiful I could cry.

69. twinfan1 said, on September 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Chuck, you know how this hurts me,but…..nice post. OK. real nice.

70. Macdog said, on September 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Just catching up on today’s posts. Nice bounce-back by the boys and Timmy in particular, and an Xcellent debut for Nady. As for today’s topic, Chuck, I didn’t think you could top your Olympics thread, but you did. Outstanding.

• Flavor said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I liked his Olympic topic but this was better—one of the best ever written here, IMO

71. unca_chuck said, on September 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Thanks, guys. And you too, Mike . . .

🙂

72. Macdog said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Only time I’ve been to Chicago was 1990. Drove up there after visiting a friend in St. Louis (and going to a couple Cards games) and went to the U.S. Open playoff at Medinah between Hale Irwin and Mike Donald, who had a beer gut and smoked and was an easy guy to root for, but Irwin won anyway. The Cubs, unfortunately, weren’t in town, so I went to a ChiSox-Angels game at old Comiskey. Someone earlier mentioned how loud the new Comiskey was, but I remember the old Comiskey also was annoyingly loud with pumped-in noise. Maybe that’s what the Sox have always done. And not an area you wanna be hanging around late at night. I also made like a dorky tourist and went to the top of the Sears Tower, and of course it was an overcast day. Otherwise, I wasn’t there too long.

73. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Again, thanks to Chuck and the rest of youse guys for some brilliant postcards from Chicago. Gems. True gems.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I guess current protocol requires me to put asterisks around “youse.”

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Otherwise it rhymes with mouse?

74. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Not sure who WGN announcers are, but they really impressed me on name pronunciations. They said Nady prefers the typ. wrong Ek-savier, so they honor that. Tavares prefers Joo-lian. They mildly mocked some ballpark folks who pronounce the Cubs’ manager as S-vee-um instead of Swain (is that it?). Point being, they said, “Get it right. Ask the team broadcasters; better yet the player himself.” Good stuff. And they were right. Hector Sanchez’s HBP was more like a wardrobe malfunction than a hit batter.

• zumie said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I could be wrong, but isn’t one of the broadcasters Bob Brenley? Or he’s on one of their broadcast teams, anyway.

• Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Yes, Brenley was one of them and he was the one who said Tavarez preferred his name pronounced the way Pawlie said.

75. blade3colorado said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Any of you mugs ever take a commuter plane into Chicago? I was going to school at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana and after I finished the semester, I returned to the bay area via Chicago. I was on this commuter prop plane with approximately a dozen business types (all of them in suits). All of them looked like they did this flight weekly (daily? Who knows?). Anywho, all of them had their heads buried in newspapers.

Me? I’m fascinated by this plane because the luggage is behind my seat with a large harness netting ensuring it was secured in the back. You could actually see the pilot and co-pilot flying the plane. Ditto for what they were looking at outside the cockpit windshield. So fast forward to the landing . . . Prior to this flight, I had not even heard of the “Hawk,” the name Chicago has given to their wind. The plane begins preparations to land, loud noise signifying that the wheels have been lowered, ailerons adjusted, etc., etc. One problem though – the fucking plane is coming in at an unbelievable angle, with one wing severely lower than the other wing, which is at “10 O’Clock” at least. We continue on this path – businessmen calmly reading their newspapers, me gripping the seat arms, where my finger nails are making indentations in the plastic, knowing that this fucker is going to crash . . . Then seeing the runway and were still at this exaggerated angle. I was about to scream and then the pilot straightened out the plane and landed. Holy shit . . . praise the Lord. The guy beside me nonchalantly says, “First flight into Chicago, huh?” Only later did I find out that this was a typical landing when the “Hawk” was blowing in Chicago. 🙂

• TedSpe said, on September 1, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Funny shit

• Bozo said, on September 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Nope, but I took one of those down from Arcata CA to SF (late 70s). I got to sit in the co-pilot seat, which got a little weird when the pilot asked me to open up the manual under my seat. It got real weird when landing at SFO he looked over his shoulder like changing lanes in a car. When I looked over my shoulder it was nothing but huge jets positioning themselves to land. But same deal, the suits in the back were just reading their papers.

My favorite landing was during a Nor’ Easter coming into to Norfolk. Most landings, the pilot tips the nose up, this guy floored it, nose down, brakes full on when we landed. It was actually a very smooth landing, problem was when we got to the gate, before they had a chance to put weights on the plane, it wanted to take off. The winds were about 50 MPH at the time (long, white knuckle ride home).