A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Sunsets

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 13, 2012

Flavor posting for Chuck today………

I had intended on writing a thread about a prediction I had made a while back. I found a bunch of my posts, copied and pasted them into the thread and geared up for a great defense of my grand fortune telling skills. Then I stopped and thought, “Who could possibly give a shit about whether I predicted something correctly? What pathetic psychological deficit am I trying to fix by force feeding all of you evidence that I was *right* about something or not?”

So I appreciated this James Joyce inspired epiphany and I switched thread directions on a freaking dime, because I’m THAT agile, and I decided to post about…..sunsets.

Here’s a nice one:

I’m imagining it setting on the hopes and dreams that Dodger fans once had about their team winning the NL West in 2012……

So what’s the best sunset YOU ever saw?

1. zumiee said, on September 13, 2012 at 6:50 am

One of the greatest sunsets I ever saw was from Sausalito, looking back towards SF. The various shades of blue and gray, from the sky, to the city, to the water was astounding. There were just so many different shades of those two colors than I ever realized possible. It seemed almost endless. I took a photo, but the photo didn’t do it justice. It was just a wonderful moment.
    I have rarely ever been to Sausalito. I was just there as a tourist.
    We have beautiful sunsets in the Central Valley all the time; but I’m guessing the air pollution has something to do with that, in the way the colors blend together.
    The Dodgers have had a weird season, and sometimes I wonder how much it affects their team to look into their home “crowd” and see so many empty seats. How much of the Giants “chemistry” is because, at homegames, they know they are going to be playing in front of 40,000 pumped-up, rockin’ maniacs, who LOVE the team, and are thrilled to be there.

2. willedav said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:26 am

Zum, that is what makes me wonder what goes through a guy like Soriano’s head. He’d rather play meaningless games from June on, for a team that has been openly trying to dump him for years?
    Sure the weather in SF is quite different, but once you are in the game and running around, the “cold” excuse becomes BS. He never seems to have a problem yanking one out of ATT either.
    For a RH guy that can pull the ball, such as Uribe Burrell or f-ing Dan Uggla or G Stanton, HRs are doable here. You have a packed house at home every night, a vet mgr. who knows what he’s doing, and top of the line pitching…and you know you are always going to be in contention.

• chipower9 said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:37 am

Couldn’t agree more. Soriano can go fuck himself for all I care. Dumb ass…

3. chipower9 said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:30 am

Best sunset? When the sun set on the rest of the baseball world as OUR San Francisco Giants stormed the field to celebrate as WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS in 2010!

Humm Baby – Let’s Do It Again!

4. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:38 am

I like what Chipower just said, but I would say my favorite sunsets are in the Adirondacks, at camp on Brantingham Lake. (Is your pic of a beach about 20 mi south of SF?) I salute your self-revelation. My propensity to want to/have to be right has cost me happiness and serenity. It’s an affliction that upsets my veneer, my pretense, at zen detachment and practice. Enough of that. Today my propensity is to BASK in the Giants’ RIGHTful first-place-ness.

• chipower9 said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:49 am

RIGHTful first-place-ness…that does have a wonderful ring to it!

And I have never been superstitious…13 is one mighty-fine looking number today!

5. chipower9 said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:40 am

And speaking of sunsets…best I ever saw is an evening I was leaving Beale Air Force Base (Marysville/Yuba City area), and saw this magnificent sunset (oranges, reds, pinks, blues and purples) with the Sutter Buttes in the background. I had to pull over and snap a few picts with my phone’s camera…and like Zumie’s expereience, the photo did not do the sunset justice.

Great topic Craig…especially the sun that is setting on the Bum’s asses. He he.

• eddacker said, on September 13, 2012 at 8:22 am

I have seen that sunset. Where the foothills drop into the great central valley.

6. willedav said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:40 am

One last thought on the Panda hate—if you dump him off to the AL, good luck finding a full time replacement. 3b is a hard position to fill, and sabean has f-ed himself over a couple times trading guys when he didn’t have someone ready to take that spot over. No more R Davises or Jose Castillos allowed.
    We’ve seen the Gillaspies of the Giants world come up at various times over last couple seasons, and quickly go back down. I wasn’t too impressed with how Scutaro handled 3b either. I’d prefer a solid defensive guy to hold that spot down alongside crawford, but remember too that the team is also going to be looking for at least one OF in the off season.
    Pagan had a terrible June before he turned things back around, and I hope he is happy enough here that he can be re-signed. I hope Pablo can get his game back together and become the middle LU force he was before the injury; I just don’t see Arias as a full time solution at any position.

• Nipper said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:48 am

Pablo …..YES!

• ewisco said, on September 13, 2012 at 8:53 am

Pavlovic or whatever his name posted yesterday or today that pagan had a stomach muscle issue that he’s just now saying was bugging him in june. apparently he casts himself as someone who doesn’t complain but goes out and does his best. not sure how much stock to put into that but if true, explains his mid-season woes.

One of the great sunsets was last wednesday. some wierd astmospheric conditions had the sky really red with rainbows and double rainbows. people were stopped on the street to look.

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:44 am

Off-topic. Thought y’all might like this from Len Berman’s That’s Sports daily top 5 (I subscribe; free; good stuff). (Link from Bloomberg did not transfer.)

“Bang For Your Buck

So which pro sports teams spend the smartest? Bloomberg Businessweek checked out all the teams in the four major sports, basically cost per win. They did it over a 5 year period and they gave teams bonuses for postseason victories. And the winner in the 4 major sports? The Tampa Bay Rays. In second and third, hockey teams, Detroit and Pittsburgh. The biggest loser, dead last at 122, the St. Louis Rams. Some interesting stuff in between. Since the NFL has a hard salary cap, the most efficient NFL teams are consistent winners like New England, Green Bay, the Giants and Steelers. Same with the NBA. The Lakers, Celtics and Heat are the best in basketball. But since baseball is all over the map with salaries, Pittsburgh, which hasn’t been above 500 until this season (they’re barely hanging on) ranks 23rd, right behind the Phillies. And the city champion for pouring money down the drain? New York of course. While the Yankees rank 99th out of 122, three New York teams are in the bottom 8, the Nets at 115, the Knicks at 116 and the Mets at 120. But on some level you probably knew that, right?”

8. Bozo said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:46 am

Best sunsets – Joshua Tree and where I live right now. Speaking of which, I’m off to Ocracoke island, where I’m staying has no WIFI so the lap top stays home. Catch you all later.
    Go Giants.

9. Nipper said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:52 am

SCUTARO…….Sabean’s excellent pick-up! Plus he rescued him from the Rockies.

10. paulinasia said, on September 13, 2012 at 8:16 am

Yeah, Bozo, sunsets in Joshua Tree, excellent, I did a lot of Jeeping down there during my Bay Area days, didn’t know that’s where you lived. Craig, not sure exactly where that photo is, but looks similar to the most amazing sunsets I’ve ever seen, in Polynesia. Bora Bora, Huahine, Moorea, photos I took before the days of digital and no one believes they’re real. And that photo is way too beautiful for the sun that is setting on the Dodgers, which is likely smog-riddled and slashed and dotted with the silhouettes of power lines and planes circling LAX in an endless parade of going nowhere. Or something like that. And one of only two places on earth where I’ve ever seen the legendary green flash at sunset was over Ocean Beach….

11. Nipper said, on September 13, 2012 at 8:47 am

Sunsets? What is this? The Travel Channel Blog?

12. twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2012 at 9:05 am

My goodness. Lots of wonderful sunsets- but none compares to that total eclipse of the sun in Nova Scotia, the one I saw with the wife of a close friend…actually, did some dirt camping in Montana, seemed to be wonderful sunsets every evening…the sunsets over the boundary waters were awesome as well. Or right here- one of the cool things about where I live is that there’s lots of sky, the city shrinks the sky…if there’s a negative about a beautiful sunset it would be the horrid poetry it inspires…

13. rathmone said, on September 13, 2012 at 9:38 am

I saw a pretty good one over the Rockies as I walked from office to ballpark yesterday. Sun was trying and mostly failing to sneak through after two days of Bay Area-style rain. It made for some hometown vibes in Coors. Of course, it might have been the couple thousand of us Giants fans in attendance. Also, Blanco’s grab at the (415ft) wall in the 7th was a sunset of sorts on a potential Rox rally- that falls and it’s a 2-run game with 1 out and a man on second. Yet it rated exactly zero mention in any of our pixel-stained wretches’ game stories- that’s taking some serious D for granted.

• Macdog said, on September 13, 2012 at 10:09 am

The AP’s story also failed to mention it, but they did have this note: “Penny Chenery, a resident of nearby Boulder who owned and bred 1973 Triple Crown winner Secretariat, attended the game.”

14. Irish Kevin said, on September 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

yes Twin, sooo many sunsets to choose, so I will go with Morrow Bay, with that big Rock out in the bay, pretty cool. especially sitting in the restaurant there eating a nice bowl of cioppino

15. Flavor said, on September 13, 2012 at 9:50 am

THe Phillies are 17 games out of first place and yet they’re right in the thick of the wild card race? That’s lame. And yet, would there be any interest at all in the NL wild card race–that’s another side bonus of the 2nd WC– it keeps that race interesting till the end……

16. twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2012 at 10:36 am

Link on the right- time to start thinking about that World Series dinner…

17. snarkk said, on September 13, 2012 at 11:06 am

BF hit this sunset full on. The photo is taken from Tunnels Beach (aka Makua Beach), north shore, Kauai. About 6-7 miles past Hanalei. Was last there just after the Gyros won the WS in Nov 2010. Great snorkel spot. The Snarkettes first ever snorkel session was in the ocean right there, and loved it. Nothing like starting at the top. Tons of fish, and they saw several green sea turtles swim right by them, tried to touch ’em, but missed. (technically illegal to touch ’em). Easily, one of my top 5 places in the world. Been there 4 different times, every visit to Hawaii. It is gorgeous, Ms. Snarkk even secretly bought a watercolor of it in Hanalei and gave it to me on my birthday, it’s hanging on my home office wall. But, my favorite sunset is just 2 miles further towards Japan, at the end of the Haena road at Ke’e Beach. From there, next landfall is Midway. The sunsets there are fantastic, as the dusk begins to fall over the Na Pali cliffs to your left, and the ocean mists begin to waft into the cliffs. A fair few folks usually hang out there at Ke’e to watch the orange orb fall beneath the waves, looking for the green flash, and fire up some local herbaceousness. It’s Kauai at sunset, and Puff the Magic Dragon begins his fade back into the mist in the land called Honah Lee…

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I was hoping someone would appreciate this spot. I’ve been there 3 or 4 times but not in 10 years or so. One of the top 3 places I’ve ever been to

• snarkk said, on September 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Cool. Tropical islands are my favorite places. Carribean, South Pacific. I’ve been to NZealand, Oz, Fiji, the Cooks, Tahiti and Hawaii. It’s not the beaches, I’m not particularly a beach lover. But, somehow the meeting of ocean and land in those island places gives me a unique energy. Not in the mountains, though that’s cool too. I was on North Shore Kauai during February once after a N Pacific storm pushed down, and the huge NPacific waves hitting the reef were just booming. BOOOOM. BOOOOM. At night, you could feel the power of nature when that sound hit your ears, though you were a couple of miles away. The Pacific Islanders call that energy “mana”, which doesn’t translate well to English. Some might say it is power, magic. But, when I’m at Tunnels and Ke’e, or when I was on Taveuni Island (Fiji), or Aitutaki Island out in the middle of nowhere in the vast Pacific, I feel it. It’s a primordial feeling of oneness with the world. I’m a tiny ant surrounded by a universe of energy, but I’m still part of it, and that gives me power and strength. It is soothing, yet raw and energizing at the same time. I get that feeling nowhere else. I have threatened to move and retire to an island on more than one occasion. Someday I hope to make it so…

• Salty said, on September 13, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I was going to say it looked like Kauai, but it’s been 18 yrs. Hated to leave and swore I’d be back.

18. TedSpe said, on September 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I’m usually too preoccupied to notice sunsets which is a shame. The most memorable sunrise I ever saw was at Ocean Beach many decades ago. Of course, there was a lot of hashish and Bacardi involved

• TedSpe said, on September 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm

It appears I can temporarily post from work right now. Sadly, this too shall pass

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2012 at 12:43 pm

hey Teddy-boy! Daylight posting! Nice! Fuck the man! Power to the 99%-ers!~

19. Alleykat said, on September 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Hey if Bochy was real smart,he would have Panda make all the pitching changes after Rags talks to them first.All those trips to the mound would help whip him into shape some.

• zumiee said, on September 13, 2012 at 2:11 pm

It’s kind of interesting that baseball has kept that archaic ritual. The manager goes to the mound and receives the ball from the pitcher, and personally gives the ball to the next pitcher, like he’s handing him that crystal vase that Tom Cruise so desperately tried to keep from breaking in Risky Business.
      It can create drama, and sometimes drama that wasn’t expected. I remember Jim Barr leaving the mound before the manager got there (Oh no you didn’t!!) and getting grabbed by the manager and yanked back. I don’t remember who the manager was. (Frank Robinson? Although, that doesn’t seem like the right timeframe for when Barr was there.)

• zumiee said, on September 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I guess the important thing is the manager stepping on the dirt to signify a trip to the mound. We wouldn’t want even MORE manager trips to the mound, so it’s a good rule. And we never would have had the Donny Two-trips moment without that rule.

• snarkk said, on September 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Yeah, I think it was Frank.
        I kinda like traditions. One reason I like baseball.
        If I were a reliever, as soon as I got the baseball from the manager, I’d throw it to the ump for a new one. I want my own, new ball. Especially if it was a hit magnet with the previous pitcher — I’d want nothing to do with it…

• snarkk said, on September 13, 2012 at 3:21 pm

When/where does a trip to the mound qualify as a trip?
        As soon as the coach/manager steps out of the dugout towards the mound? Crosses the baseline? Actually sets foot on the mound dirt? Can he step one foot out of the dugout or stand behind the baseline and yell to the pitcher — and that’s NOT a visit? I have no idea…

• snarkk said, on September 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Send Panda to Hawaii offseason.
      He runs on the damn beach sand 4 hours a day, swims 2, climbs the Pali, and eats nothing but papaya, mango, pineapple.
      And, he can have hot and cold running wahines on the down low…

• zumiee said, on September 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm

But it doesn’t matter much, if he doesn’t stay on the straight and narrow while the season is going on.
        Here’s somthing- Pablo apparently chews tobacco while he’s hitting, and chews gum while he’s playing the field, as far as I can tell. So he’s popping a big new piece of gum into his mouth at least 9 times a game, when he starts? How much sugar consumption is that? I have no idea. I don’t chew gum.

• snarkk said, on September 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Answer on the gum: Go sugarless.
        Tobacky is not good, obviously. The nicotine should help him keep weight off. So, if he goes off the chew, Sheezus, look out waistline…

20. zumiee said, on September 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm

The Giants have the “Gots the Day Off Happy Blues”….

• zumiee said, on September 13, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Usually I don’t like the Giants days off, but today…..what the heck, let them enjoy the moment, rest, and watch the Dodgers play the Cards, as those two teams scramble for the last playoff spot.

21. zumiee said, on September 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm

The sunset theme reminded me of this video I saw on YouTube a while back. I wanted to hear one of my favorite Beach Boy songs, one of the most beautifully sad songs of all-time, “The Warmth of the Sun.” Someone made their own video of a collage of sunset photos for a song video.
    The song itself has a poignant history. Brian Wilson wrote the song after hearing that JFK had been assassinated. It’s his tribute to JFK, hidden within a love song- his way of pouring out his grief.

22. demp28 said, on September 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Best sunsets? Hmm. Let’s see. Watching the sun set on the horizon of the Pacific as me and my wife are driving on Highway 1 between Stinson Beach and before we hit Muir Woods. The other one would be watching the sun set behind Camelback Mountain as we’re taking in a Spring Training game this year. All is right with the world.
    Oh, and the sun setting in San Francisco on November 3, 2010 as it glistens off the confetti from “THE VICTORY PARADE”!

23. Alleykat said, on September 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Snarkk…Official trip to the mound is when he reaches the dirt portion.Your allowed 2 trips,unless there is an injury involved to the pitcher,and i assume he is checking with the home plate ump first on that.Now Donny 2 step did his fuck up by leaving the mound on to the grass,then turning around.and going back on the dirt,which still could have been ok as a second visit except his pitching coach already came out once which made it 3 visits so your.Fucked Oh Donny Boy!

24. twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Actually, on the second trip the pitcher must be replaced.The pitching coach never made a trip- if he had, Mattingly woud have had to remove the pitcher on his first trip. In that situation though, the umpires screwed up- Mattingly should have been ejcted and Broxton forced to face Torres, and then replaced.”The rule requiring a pitcher to be removed after two mound visits should have been superceded by a comment underneath Rule 8.06 that says if two mound visits occur while the same batter is up, the umpires must eject the manager and require the pitcher to face that batter. Only then, should the pitcher be removed” The mistake was discovered as the umpiring crew engaged in its normal postmortem with league umpiring evaluators..but Mattingly screwed up again by not protesting the game.

• twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm

The comment superceding the rule that that the pitcher has to replaced in that situation was added so that a manager couldn’t use the rule to get around a pitcher having to face at least one hitter. This most commonly becomes an issue when a pinch hitter is announced, annd then replaced by one batting from the other side when the opposing manager goes to a new pitcher. By rule this pitcher has to face at least that one batter. Without the comment, a shrewd manager could intentionally make two trips and relace the guy he just brought in…
      “The rule says a visit has been concluded when the manager or coach when he ‘leaves the 18-foot circle surrounding the pitcher’s rubber.'”

• Alleykat said, on September 13, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Twin,you are correct sir.I was rushing my post,while working with an idiot trying to text my thought.What’s with people showing up at closing time and expect help? Get a life people,tomorrows another day ferchrissakes!!!
      Anyway for some reason i thought the pitching coach came out first,but brainfart me should still have realized that,that would have been the second trip,which of course would have been removal of Broxton.
      Since it was Mattingly who went out and did his Michael Jackson moonwalk on the mound ,dirt,off dirt to grass,moonwalking back to dirt on mound,that’s two trips and Broxton’s gone and Bochy looked like a Genius spotting that and making a convincing and correct arguement
      to the whole umpire crew…Now i didn’t know about Broxton still should have been allowed to face the hitter before being removed,and that Donny should have been ejected but wasn’t correct? Are maybe im like that Led Zeppelin song “Dazed and Confused” even more.

• twinfan1 said, on September 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm

No problem ,Kat, i just wanted to do what the umps should do more often:: get it right. What I thought was dumbest of all was that no one from the Doggers looked up the rule-they would have won the protest.

25. PawlieKokonuts said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Here’s an off-day concern/worry I have. Is the following scenario possible? If so, it’s a disaster in the making. Melky is able to come back on the 4th or 5th game of the playoffs, whatever it is. What if the Giants don’t want him? Not so fast. The union will grieve that. He comes back. We sit him. Or play him. Any way you look at it, it’s a huge and unsettling distraction at the worst of all possible moments to have such a distraction.

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2012 at 8:27 pm

no one can force you to put a player on the 25 man roster. It’s 100% up to the team. Just because he was on it before doesn’t mean he’s guaranteed a spot on it when he comes back. They probably will be forced to pay him after his suspension ends. Big deal, pay it while you’re telling him to go fuck himself…….

26. manny said, on September 13, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Paulie,don’t teams have to set a 25 man roster for each play off series, if so that might help them eliminate Melky’s ass from coming back.

27. SanDawg said, on September 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I’d welcome back Melky back with open arms. Hell, we brought Mota back and isn’t he a 2 time loser regarding the MLB drug policy? Plus, he’s the mop-up guy in the bullpen. Melky plays a key position. I say bring him back and start his ass if no-one has nailed down the LF gig.
    As for sunsets, we had a nice one on Coronado last Saturday. The sunset itself wasn’t all that memorable, but the scene was. My youngest had just turned 13 the day before and she had 6 of her friends there at the beach. All went swimming and had a good time. They are becoming young ladies and were all rocking bikinis, but they still dug holes in the sand and ran from the shore surf as if it was hot lava. Older bro was allowed to invite 2 friends and I joined them for about a 90 minute session of 3 Flies Up using a Frisbee. The fielders stationed themselves next to an empty lifeguard tower which led to some ricochets and daring catches—with no pass interference penalties. Ex #1 and I planned the even together and got along well throughout the day. Everyone paused for the sunset, which was nice capper to a great day.

• Flavor said, on September 13, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Diggity— I was wondering if you were going to chime in on the sunset thread. That sounds like an awesome scene. We are putting together Flapalooza 2.0 in late Sept/early Oct—no chance you’re gonna be up here? My dad is down here now playing Green Hills and doing some other shit right now and he told me to pass on his best.
      I’m 100% in disagreement with you on bringing Melky back–unless he’s juiced to the max. Did you catch his career BEFORE steroids? Largely four-to-five-outfielderish……….

• Nipper said, on September 13, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Forget Melky.

28. Flavor said, on September 13, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Sabean is such a fucking stud and I was such a fucking donut-bag for ever doubting him in the post-Bonds years. Look at all the bargain basement bullshit he’s pulled the last 3 years: Huff, Torres, Uribe, Burrell, Ross, Affeldt, Lopez, Casilla, Voggy, Mota, Ramon Ramirez, Miggy Tejada, Orlando Cabrera, Bill Hall…,(the last 3 are just to see if you are actually reading this)… and this year we have Blanco (his defense alone makes him worth it), Kontos, MIlares, Nady (had to), Arias, Scutaro, and Angel Pagan who no one wanted because of his terrible *attitude*……
    When you are pulling that type of talent from the scrap heap you are Gming your ass off. It’s the exact opposite of what the Dodgers or the Angels or the Tigers do. And the fact that all 3 might and hopefully will miss the playoffs makes me so happy………

• Nipper said, on September 13, 2012 at 9:41 pm

BF has found happiness!

29. Macdog said, on September 13, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Is it even worth bothering anymore? Hell yeah — Dodgers lose!

30. TedSpe said, on September 13, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Again. Sunsets are great. But sun “rises” always have more significance:

• Flavor said, on September 14, 2012 at 6:04 am

i actually watched this all the way to the end.

31. TedSpe said, on September 13, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)