A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Pitching is hard

Posted in Uncategorized by zumiee on September 30, 2012

And I learned that in 6th grade. I was playing a pick-up baseball game with some family and friends at a local elementary school on a holiday. I was pitching, and my freshman-aged cousin was batting. I was pitching a hardball underhanded from a (in retrospect) not terribly safe distance. He smashed a line-drive right at my face. It was so perfectly right at my face that it transfixed me for a split-second, and in that moment of hesitation, the opportunity to avert disaster was lost. You’ve heard the saying how sometimes a ball hit right at you doesn’t seem to move? This was a classic case of that. And I…..just stared at it. It smashed into my mouth and dropped to the ground at my feet, which the laws of physics say means my lips and front teeth absorbed the full force of the moving ball. It didn’t knock any teeth out, but it did open a gash on the inside of my mouth that required 7 stitches. I also had scabby swollen lips for several weeks, which are not a real help in the 6th grade social scene, for what it’s worth. The only positive thing about the experience was that I was on a milkshake diet for a while. That was pretty cool for a 6th-grader. And thus ended my pitching career. Although I did pitch a few games of slow-pitch Friday night softball when I was in my 20s. I walked too many guys and I was moved to catcher/firstbaseman; kind of a Buster Posey, but without, you know, all that actual talent. But I was a pretty good hitter. I learned to hit line-drives, and had a pretty good batting average.

And speaking of pitching, the Giants’ playoff roster will probably have 11 pitchers, including all 5 starting pitchers, and probably these 6 relievers: Affeldt, Casilla, Lopez, Mijares, Mota, and Romo. Kontos could possibly displace somebody. The catching duo is Posey and Sanchez. The other position players are Arias, Belt, Crawford, Sandoval, Scutaro, Theriot, Blanco, Pagan, Pence, Nady, and I’m going to guess Huff, and that leaves one spot for Pill or Christian or Peguero. Cain will be the Game One starting pitcher, but who’s going to be Number Two isn’t fully obvious. I’m going to guess Bumgarner goes in Game Two, and then Game Three is Timmy, and hope for the best. Zito might get a start in Game 4, and Cain will be used on 3-day’s rest if needed, depending on the situation. The starting pitching is not ending the season on the stellar note that we would like, but these are veterans of the pressure of post-season play. They will likely be competing against some pitchers on the other teams who have never been there before. The Giants have the advantage in experience. Pitching is hard, but if you can do it well, you go deep into the playoffs, and give yourself the opportunity to do something special.

1. Nipper said, on October 1, 2012 at 6:03 am

Giants experienced pitching is the key. If it shows up, Giants should go far with a little luck thrown in.

2. Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 6:29 am

Resigned to the fact that Cain is going in the first game, and assuming we are playing The Reds, I would go with Bum #2 and then Zito #3 and Tim #4 (with Voggy locked and loaded to long-relief any of them)……
    Here’s my reasoning for Zito in the 3 and Timmy in the 4: It is unlikely that we are going to sweep the Reds. And if they get a W in SF (Latos) then I would rather have TImmy pitching > Zito in a possible elimination game (either us or them).
    Zito had a better overall year than Timmy. But Lincecum is the statement-game pitcher you want out there with everything on the line (at least > Zito). It is unlikely that everything will be *on the line* in Game 3. It is much more likely that Game 4 is THE GAME of the series. And if we need the W to eliminate them or if we need the W to stay alive and get the ball back into Cain’s hands, I’d rather have Timmy going than Zito 8 days a week (you know, because of that whole *twice on Sunday* thing that I never really understood). It’s nothing against Zito, I’m an avowed *13 percenter* this year. But Timmy is still the man in an elimination game situation. Sending anyone else out there is like sending Solomon Torres or Livan Hernandez out there. Or Barry Zito.
    Now, I think the playoff rotation is going to go exactly as Zumie indicated in his thread. I am just disagreeing with it from a tactical standpoint.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Can’t argue with your logic, Craig. I agree on your spin. Now we’ll have to wait and see if Bochy agrees.

3. Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 6:35 am

And Zumie, I loved the intro of this thread. It was a seamless transition into your main point. Outstanding.

4. willedav said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:26 am

I was thinking about this after Tim’s last outing—Game 3 is the swing game if series is tied. You don’t want to go down 2-1 with next two games on the road and give the mo to the home team. On the other hand, if you sweep at home with Cain and Bum (who has big home/away splits esp for HRs and probably gets this start) game 3 isn’t as important, tho a sweep and a chance to rest everyone would be an advantage.
    I recall seeing on Pav’s blog couple days ago someone posted total season stats for Big 5 SPs, and Vogs was actually no worse than third best….Any chance at all off last outing (or suckitude of others) he gets a start?

5. Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:14 am

Although I picked Huff as an October surprise, at this point I’m not sure if he’s more a liability and one that will need a PR if he gets on (so I’d assume either Peguero or Burriss gets the final spot). I like Arias, Theriot and Blanco for different reasons, but man wouldn’t it be nice for two power threats with those guys. The Giants don’t really have anyone like that (well, I guess Pill but he hasn’t played in any of these tune up games).
    I gotta admit, it almost makes me rethink the whole Melky thing, even off the juice. Hey, I said almost.

• blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:45 am

“For some reason I’m not stressing as much about the rotation as much as I am the bench.”

Bozo, fortunately we have Nipper to calm us down. 🙂

• Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:00 am

Your right Blade. The old “experienced pitching” and a “little luck” calmed me right down. Gotta get me a rabbit’s foot though.

6. blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:35 am

Yes, I agree with Flav – fabulous segue into the Gmen playoff pitching rotation. Nothing as bad as what you experienced Zumiee, but I recall a few times when a bad hop would hit me in the nuts, face, or throat, while playing the hot corner or shortstop. Ugh. Not pleasant at all . . .

Flav, I left you a phone message regarding the gym. Give me a shout when you get a chance.

7. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:45 am

Henry has a blog piece on who he guesses the starting 4 will be and it makes perfect sense.It’s the same as Z’s. He does speculate that they might go with Cain on three days rest instead of Zito if they were down 2-1.

8. Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:59 am

As a member of the BBA I get emailed a lot of blog articles every day with the blog owner asking me to re-post it at the Flap. I almost never do it. But here’s one you will find interesting. It’s by former MLB (and SF Giant) pitcher John D’Aquisto. It’s long, more like a Rolling Stones article than a blog thread. But it’s outstanding, especially the ending.

9. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:01 am

Interesting that one of the rationales for 11 pitchers instead of 12 goes back to 2003 when they had no pinch runner for Snow and the game ended with him being thrown out at the plate, the tying run. Eric Young had been left off the roster dor an extra pitcher.

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hector, Nady, Huff, Theriot, Arias are virtual locks for the reseves and it’s between Christian and Burriss for that extra speed spot. IMO.

• wswin said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:19 am

Nady will probably start ahead of Blanco… and Burris> Christian.

• Salty said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:26 am

Dusty has only RH starters, so that’s going to be interesting call for Bochy.

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:41 am

Well, I had to name one of Nady or Blanco, WS. I think folks can figger it out. But personaly, I’d rather see Nady off the bench,

10. Salty said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:25 am

I like Cain Bum Tim Zits?Vogs Cain…If they are down 2-1, I still go Zito/Vogs, and have Cain rested for a game 5.

11. Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:45 am

I think we’re gonna see a LOT of Nady in the starting LU in the PS with him obviously being pulled after his third at bat or so for Blanco. And I’m fine with that. And if they are planning on having Huff on the roster then they better use him a lot and that’s where Burriss comes in > Christian (PR for HUff)— Burriss can play multiple infield positions, Christian can’t, I think that will seal that decisions……..

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:53 am

I agree that we’ll probably see Nady a lot-too much, IMO. I’ve already stated my preference for defense in the Red series, especially in the two games we’re likely to NOT see it- the games that Tim and Zito start.

12. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:48 am

Kinda funny how the guy who doesn’t get a start could be the main dude. Does Vogelsong have the arm to go 5 in each game ;- )
    Paging Mike Marshall..

13. Macdog said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:02 am

Cain and MadBum and then . . . Timmy giving up 3 bombs to the Pads yesterday didn’t exactly inspire confidence, but I’ll stick with him for Game 3.

Although I missed it, I thought yesterday’s game was one of the great wins of the year. To rally like that off Street has gotta give the guys an added boost of confidence going into the playoffs.

I found this amusing and posted it late last night, so if anyone missed it: This was the first story I read of yesterday’s game and gave me a much-needed laugh. This also was in both papers I get at home.

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Pinch hitter Xavier Nady homered off Huston Street to tie the game with one out in the ninth and Hunter Spence hit a go-ahead, two-run shot as the San Francisco Giants rallied to beat the San Diego Padres 7-5 Sunday.

14. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:27 am

Shit, i forgot about skyping for Flappapalooza . . .

My bad. Wait til next year . . . !

15. Salty said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:27 am

“Giants experienced pitching is the key.”

Guess we’ll hear a lot about that. Always stirs some good debate. But in 2010, the rotation (and closer for that matter) had zero postseason experience. and they were facing the experienced Cliff Lee, who up to the WS, had been dominant in the PS.

16. snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:29 am

I don’t see any good reason to have Huff on the PO roster. He’s had what, less than a dozen ABs since coming back, can’t run, and has no real prospect IMO of hitting one out. To me, a versatile utility guy is more useful who can play D somewhere and run and maybe get a hit. Just because he’s a LH hitter doesn’t mean much to me. He’s got some hits, but I don’t think he’s really scalded more than one. As for the pitchers, Cain’s probably first, then after that, I dunno. Bum probably. Timmeh and Zito pitching in Cincy in whatever order are scary, especially after yesterday’s 3 bombs. Lincecum seems like if he gets out of the first inning unscathed, he’s cool for a few, then boom, he loses something, and starts throwing the occasional hit me pitch way up in the zone. In Cincy, that’s a problem. And his refusal or inability to keep baserunners from running wild used to be an annoyance, now with his reduced capability, it’s downright ridiculous, especially with Hector throwing balls into the outfield…

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I’m in absolute agreement, snarkk. Give me Blanco or Burriss over Huff.

17. snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:37 am

In Zito and Timmeh games, I’d prefer Blanco in LF to start for D purposes. His bat has been coming around a little. Thing is, Cincy is a bandbox, so the OF ground coverage isn’t as critical as at ATT. One of the tougher decisions for Bochy. Nady looks like he’s running well again, triple the other day. He’s not great in the OF, but he’s better than Belt and way better than Pat the Bat was. If Nady gets his swing going even more in LA, that added pop would be huge in the 6 or 7 spot, extends the LU, and would make it an easier decision for Bochy. Giants are going to need to score whether its vs. Reds or Nats, their pitching will not dominate like it did in 2010…

18. Salty said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:37 am

Also, wouldn’t Huff’s value off the bench late would be negated against Cincy with it’s two tough lefty’s Marshall and Chapman?

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

Good point. That, plus Huff doesn’t bring enough to the table to waste one of the 25 on him. I’d even take Peguero over Huff. Huff can be a cheerleader in the dugout. If Bochy puts him on the roster and he smokes a 2 run pinch bomb to win a game, I will gladly eat crow. Has Chapman re-surfaced yet? I heard they sat him to rest up his wing. Maybe he’s going to be a reduced factor in the POs. He’s never seen PO action, too, and he can be rattled…

• Macdog said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:57 am

Chapman got in the last two games when the Reds were swept by Philly in the 2010 NLDS, and took the loss in Game 2, although the 3 runs he gave up were all unearned. He pitched a scoreless inning in Game 3.

19. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Well, you’re probably wasting perfectly good breath railing against Huff. And I don’t know that Pegureo is even eligible for the postseason, the rules are complicated. Huff has always hit LHers sbout the same as RHers, BTW.

20. Salty said, on October 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Then there’s the Dusty factor. Not only is he a former G’s mgr who was shown the door, but he’s now coming back from the heart ailment. Emotional edge for the Reds?

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I don’t think so—he’s not playing so his feelings about being *shown the door* have limitations in terms of actually affecting the outcome of a game. And I don’t see how the players would be MORE motivated to win just because he’s dealing with a physical ailment.
      If Dusty should be pissed about anything it should be about Pete-Mag leaking that story about his IRS problems. That was bush league.
      I’m not that worried about Dusty, Bochy is a better manager. Advantage: us

21. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 12:14 pm

The edge the Reds have is their pitching, we actually have the edge in hitting ( HRs are not the only hitting benchmark) . I give zero emotional edge to anyone- if there’s a managerial edge, it’s all ours. IMO. And I like Dusty.

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I agree we have a better overall offense than the Reds but I think the pitching is more of a toss up. I’d take our starting 5 over theirs in a heartbeat. Most of America had no idea who Homer Bailey was before he threw his no hitter. I’ve followed him for years. He’s painfully average and unreliable. Cueto has had lots of rough starts the last couple of months. Latos I fear. Arroyo is just sorta *whatev*. Leake was tough on us earlier in the year. i suppose he could go “Latos” on us.
      They have 5 good starting pitchers, but none are dominant except Cueto on occasion and Latos when he pitches against us.

22. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 12:23 pm

BTW. I’m not lobbying for Huff, it just seems they’re going that way. He was hitting well off the bench after he was activated but has tailed off. I’m just not sure of the postseason roster rules, I remember talking about it in 2010 and the beat writers couldn’t figure it all out either. Actually this might be one of the few times I’m in on Whitey. It’s too much for me to explain, but trust me: there’s a good reason. I think. Maybe.

23. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2012 at 12:36 pm

If anyone deserves not to be there, it’s Huff. He’s dragging his belly around like an anchor. Way to stay in shape, you turd.

I’m amazed he makes it to 1st on a walk . . .

24. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Coming back from the stroke may give his players a little bump in motivation initially, but over the course of the playoffs? Not too much advantage.

25. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm

The argument for Huff is that he’s probably the only real power threat off the bench from the left side and he’s hit well in Cincy. The argument against is documeted above.

26. Salty said, on October 1, 2012 at 1:55 pm

All in all, I guess I’d rather open against the Nats.

• Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Noooooo! I might be able to score some second round tickets in DC but I’m being shut out on the first round. Bring on the Reds, kick their ass and let me see the Giants Beat DC

27. Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm

The thing is, it really doesn’t matter who we open against. Who ever it is will be a good, challenging team. We just have to raise our game to the level of intensity that the playoffs demand and see what happens. I think we can beat anyone.
    REALLY looking forward to knocking the Dodgers out of the playoffs tonight.

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I mentioned this before, it would be good to get them out of the way tonight so Bochy can just concentrate on getting the guys ready without worrying about doing the “right thing”..

28. zumiee said, on October 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm

BF, thanks for posting the D’Acquisto link. It’s a terrific story, although tinged with regret and still palpable emotion. And although some things are the same now in baseball as in the past, this part boggles the mind:

I just stood in the hallway, in front of his door, staring at him. He looked over. I couldn’t speak – just raised my arms, opened my palms, with body language that basically yelled WTF.
    “What,” Dick said, sipping a beer.
    “Why didn’t you pitch me? You know Schmidt’s batting .181 with 10 strikeouts against me. Bull (Luzinski’s) just as bad.”
    “Why didn’t you tell me that,” Dick fired back. “I didn’t know this.”
    “Is it my job to be your pitcher AND your scout? My job is to go out and pitch.”
    “I didn’t know…ok….I didn’t know.” And that was that conversation.

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Yeah, that was the surprise ending, eh?

29. chipower9 said, on October 1, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Good discussion. I am not entirely certain they won’t carry 12 pitchers. Leaning heavily on 11, but if Bochy went with 12, I would not be surprised.

Cincy – Nats…I could give a rats ass. And I am usually an optimist (realist…not a pollyanna optimist), but I am having a hard time envisioning us going more than one series. Hope my sorry ass is wrong. Not trying to be a doomer…just a feeling.

And while our pitching has been so-so of late, the basic fucking baseball mistakes are killing me (Belt’s base-running gaff, errors, basic shit…). They MUST tighten that shit up if they want to advance past the NLDS (IMNSHO).

Outside of that…FUCK THE BUMS. I want so bad for the Giants to shove it up their asses tonight and ELIMINATE THEM! GO GIANTS!

BEAT LA! BEAT LA! BEAT LA!

30. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Actually, they’ve played good baseball down the stretch, if it’s been a ittle shaky since they clinched, that’s not unusual. We also forget that other teams fuck up too.
    I agree that I am not so certain that Bochy won’t go with 12 pitchers, I can easily foresee some 6 pitcher games with the way our starters have pitched. And Bochy will want every match up covered. And hell, maybe that will get rid of Huff..

31. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm

He’s definitely not going with the “B” LU tonight…
    Angel Pagan CF, Marco Scutaro 2B, Pablo Sandoval 3B, Buster Posey C, Hunter Pence RF, Brandon Belt 1B, Xavier Nady LF, Brandon Crawford SS, (Matt Cain P

32. SanDawg said, on October 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Totally agree with Zumie that the D’Aquisto article kicked ass. Best piece I’ve read in a long time. If you’re over 40 and you love baseball (and I think everyone on here meets those criteria) you gotta check it out. the link is at 8:59 this am.
    the ‘palooza pics are great…..sounds like y’all had a great time.
    Ps D’Aquisto is from SD and I believe he did some time in the big house at some point. The Billy Cannon of MLB.

• Macdog said, on October 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I read it too and agree, outstanding story by John D and great job by Flav for posting it. Reading some of those names was definitely a blast from the past.

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm

He was one of the dudes I remember from the 70’s “for no reason”, That’s why I read the blog article that was forwarded to me and once I got into it I realized how rad it was. Glad you enjoyed it. How was your reunion? Any of the chicks hold it together?
      You would have loved skype-a-shot. Classic. Bozo the Clown comes to a party locked and loaded,

• Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Yup, I came to the party locked AND loaded. Got more of both as the evening wore on. Good times.

33. Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 5:58 pm

So now I know who Dykstra got his ideas from:
    D’Acquisto Gets More Prison Time for Fraud
    May 28, 1999|TONY PERRY

Former major league pitcher John D’Acquisto was sentenced Thursday by a federal judge in San Diego to an additional 55 months in federal prison for his guilty plea in a $7-million investment fraud.

D’Acquisto, 46, admitted using $1.3 million in investor funds to buy racehorses, luxury cars, property and a part interest in a Mexican baseball team. He has been in prison since 1996 for a related conviction in New York in which he admitted selling counterfeit securities.

34. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Ah. life in the 209…

“I noticed Dallas appeared to be upset and yelling at [California Highway Patrol] Ofc. Wagner regarding Dallas making several attempts to contact police via 911 but was unable to get through. I also heard Dallas saying, “This was road rage…road rage…the guy just ran the red light.” I could also see Dallas pointing at a dent on the driver side of his vehicle. Dallas continued to yell at Ofc. Wagner saying, “They kicked my car.” [A black Cadillac CTS.]

The officer told Braden that he would help him after dealing with the traffic accident.

“At that time, Dallas got very upset and asked me if I knew who he was. I told Dallas I didn’t and again I would help him after I was finished with my current call. Dallas shouted out, “I’m Dallas Braden, I’m a multi-millionaire and I pitch for the Oakland A’s. I pay your f*****g salary. That’s why I hate you mother f*****s.” I asked SPD dispatch for an additional unit to assist me with Dallas and my current call. While I was waiting, Dallas continued to yell, stating, “I should have cut that mother f****r.” It should be noted that I was not able to get a word in with Dallas because he was yelling so much.”

35. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

From Henry:
    “Matt Cain will face the Reds or Nationals in Game 1 of the Division Series at AT&T Park on Saturday, manager Bruce Bochy said for the first time today.
    Everyone knew it. This was the first time he said it. Bochy also knows who his Game 2 starter will be and might announce it before the Dodgers series is over”

36. snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Pitching IS hard.
    Unless you were Timmeh in game 5 of the 2010 WS.
    He seems now so far from that zenith, yet it was less than 2 years ago. Fastball location was just amazing.
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Tim+Lincecum+Mechanics&view=detail&mid=52216A0D87BEE02C5B4252216A0D87BEE02C5B42&first=21 (click on game 5 vid)
    Like half the world, D’Aquisto thinks he knows what’s wrong. I dunno, sounds plausible, even from an ex-con…

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:11 pm

well, JD’ is clearly a cerebral guy. He can write, he can express himself clearly and he knows pitching. He might be *too smart* if he actually thought he could get away with that type of fraud. Or maybe he was just a dumbfuck. There’s a fine line between being a brilliant man and a fool……..

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm

To commit fraud over and over, I believe you have to enjoy doing it. Otherwise, I’ve got to believe there comes a time when you can’t shake the overwhelming evidence that you’re a sorry POS human with no ethics and no regard for your fellow man, and you have to stop in order to be able to live with yourself. Madoff got away with it for years, and I’ll bet he was a tad smarter than Johnny D. As for both of their ethics, they probably enjoyed doing what they were doing, until they got caught…

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I totally agree.

37. Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Almost game time. Fire up the van Nipper, turn on the AC and chill down those cheap ones in the front seat. DMD, buddy if you ain’t fired up and blogging, I gotta figure you took the wrong end of the horse in the upcoming Thanksgiving parade. Fuck (Flav) the frick (Pawlie) outta of these Bleeping (Nipper) Fuckwads (twin) Skull Ficks (Blade). I’ve just got to say – Fuck these hot tub turd floating, grandma fuckers. From our own Tedspe I’m sure he’d tell the Dodgers “Goodnight Gentleman (?)” and you know what? Zumie would reply “(grin).
    I know we’re in the playoffs and that’s a very good thing but tonight Flappers, tonight. We can knock the Dodgers out of it. We can go into their house and kick them in the ass, until we find out they like it. We can Bitch slap the Bastards, until we find out they like that. We can take their dream away while trashing their house, because we like it and so we can hear a long lost Ferret say Woo-Hoo!!!
    It’s time to fire up the grill and throw those Dodger Dogs on it.
    GO GIANTS!

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Damn, I’ve always said that I hate no team, But I’m convinced, Bozo. Bring ne the head of Tommy Lasorda…

• Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Twin, do you want that smoked or fried?
        This whole set-up is classic Giants, Dodger baseball for me. I’m loving it.

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

What an easy POTD. Thanks. And I’d support your Denny-call out if he hadn’t been such a drunken, disgusting, vindictive bitch over a trade in our fantasy league that turned out to WEAKEN the team he though was benefiting from some delusional collusion.
      Denny is a Flapper for life, he can come back any time he wants to. But his girly-panty-bunched disgusting tirade on the Fantasy message board, which I deleted when I woke up in the morning, forced me to kick him out of The Stable. The Stable demands some semblance of stability. And Denny doesn’t roll that way….. It’s too bad, he had a couple of outstanding threads………

• blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm

In Dennis’s defense, I am glad to see that he hasn’t rolled over in the Flap League . . . He has competed all year and has no quit in him. Quite frankly, I can’t say the same about No Talent – Frankly, I am really disappointed in Yash, who I would have said was the last guy to give in (based upon previous seasons playing with him). No idea what happened to him this year.

• Salty said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Is there a prize for winning the flap fantasy league or is it strictly for fun?

• blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Ironically, there is a better prize for coming in last place (I forgot what it was), then the 1st place prize, a broken necked Rich Aurilia bobble head doll.

• Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm

The Richy bobblehead was intact when I sent it to Flav. Being broken only makes it more valuable IMO. Is it still the first place prize? Last place this year is the “Who’s A Clown Now” award. A Jason Schmidt and Bozo signed ball (Flav, the Comish, might also add a few words) and I hope this year’s winner adds some choice words for next year’s loser/winner.

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I’ll be overnighting the RA bobblehead to the winner, likely Edd. And the Will Clark baseball, donated to last place by Bozo, is always going to be reserved for the worst placed finisher who tried the entire season. By the way NoTalent, your name fits you well. Don’t ask to join our league again. There’s nothing worse in life than a whiny loser who quits playing just because he’s losing. Fucking total pussy shit……..
        But GiantHead went at it all year and though it just didn’t happen for him in 2012 he is without question this year’s last place loser winner.
        I’ll get you the Will Clark ball the same day I send Edd the Richie Bobblehead.

38. ferrethead said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Don’t forget to breathe there, Bozo! Gotta love your enthusiasm, but you’re not good to anyone if you hyperventilate.

• Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm

FH, Thanks, but I wouldn’t worry until I do the Caps Lock thing.

39. snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 7:55 pm

StL beat the Reds, so if the Gyros take this game tonite, that will eliminate the Bums…

40. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Hard not to think of Denny as Antonia Romo *tonight* equals Smith’s 2011 season total of 5 Interceptions.

• Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Just think if Boch has thirteen pitchers for the first round.

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm

If he could pick up a couple more who can hit, he just might..

41. Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm

HA!

42. snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Pence needs a day off. Too many dribblers lately, even considering the dinger yesterday…

43. snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Belt with the steal. That’s pretty cool. And, Nady had that good throw out from LF. He’s no slouch defensively; way better than Burrell was…

44. blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I have two thoughts watching this Giants and Dodgers series. Regardless of how well the Giants compete in the playoffs – win it all or get eliminated early – I’m proud of the way the Giants put together this team. I’m reminded of that John Houseman commercial from the 1970s, “The old-fashioned way…they earn it.” Conversely, the pussy Dodgers attempted to buy their way into relevance and in my opinion, fell flat on their face. So many disparate parts, that equal zero, nada, zip, null, nil, naught, goose-egg, niente, zilch.

I will be very happy if the Giants can skull fuck them one more time this season. 🙂

• Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Damn man, I have to go edit my earlier post and add the skull fuck.

• blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

John, feel free to plagiarize whenever it has anything to do with the Giants or Dodgers. 🙂

45. paulinasia said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Does anybody know anyone who has actually “skull fucked” before? Sounds kinda painful to me…. Ah, I would honestly just like to see the Cards take care of business themselves, win one more against the Reds. Sometimes the team that wins in pressure situations is the team that “wants it more”. You’d think LA would REALLY want these games more than the Giants do, considering their baseball lives are on the line. So, I don’t really care if the Giants do much in LA, as long as St. Louis takes care of it themselves. Dodgers can take this series, and they’d get a big “ho hum, y-a-w-n” out of the Giants. That would be good enough for me. SF will be ready to go come Saturday.

• blade3colorado said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Technically, a blow job is “skull fucking,” so I would imagine that all of us have had the pleasure of doing at least one “skull fuck.” If anyone here has been the “skull fuckee,” I would probably refrain from bragging about it. 🙂

• paulinasia said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for your definition and clarification, Blade. Ok, well, in THAT case…… 🙂 And of course as soon as I say it doesn’t matter to me how the Giants do in LA, they tie the game. That’s my team…..

46. zumiee said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm

So, are the Cardinals still hanging out in their clubhouse, watching this game?

• paulinasia said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I sure would be….

47. snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Pagan + Scutaro
    That’s some spicy combo.
    Great move by Scutaro to back out on Jansen, it messed him up, and then he immediately gave up the hit to Scutaro.
    Meanwhile, Panda swings at pitches at eye level…

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:54 pm

It was good to see Angel break out. I’m not sure what Scooter did should be kosher, though.

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I was just addressing Angel’s 2 for 23 going into that AB. Kruk noted it, too.

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Panda will always swing at pitches out of the zone- if he didn’t, he wouldn’t be the fine hitter he is. Thank God that it appears they’re leaving him alone after fucking with his approach in 2010.

48. Salty said, on October 1, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Amazing Dodger Stadium is half empty.

49. ferrethead said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Bleah…

50. snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Friggin Cockaroaches…

51. Bozo said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Damn those skull fuckees. Plus MLB.com totally fucked up on me.
    Warning, Warning. A pissed off clown is on the loose.

52. ferrethead said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:10 pm

If Buster gets the hitting title, is he shoo-in for MVP? Does he need it or can he get MVP without it?

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:13 pm

He’s MVP either way. Likely he wins the batting title anyway. He’s up by half a dozen points on McCutchen with two games left…

53. snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Another reason why Casilla can’t be relied upon as “the” closer…

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Before tonight he’d given up 3 runs in his last 21 appearances.Same as Romo.

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm

So, you’ll take Casilla same as Romo to close out game 7 of the WS with a one run lead?…

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Romo isn’t the “real” closer either- until he goes it alone, the entire 9th inning, with no one warming up, he’s just a roogie. There’s a huge diff if he’s the last line of defense.

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I’ll take that as a “no”…

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm

No, you’ll take it as I said it.Is there too much nuance for you? Sergio is not a closer- maybe not yet, maybe never. Until he has that experience, Casilla should be the man.

• ferrethead said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Now remember, Pitching Is Hard!

54. zumiee said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

So, at the moment, the Dodgers have a better chance of making the playoffs than Romney does of winning the election. The Dodgers have about a 25% chance of making the playoffs, and Nate Silver’s 538 blog has Romney at a 15% chance of winning the election.

55. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Pence and Panda had 40 RBI between them in September. ( 23 and 17) . That’s some pretty good production from the 4/5. We love you just the way you are, guys.

56. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

The A’s clinch the postseason…in front of 21,000… how sad.

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Pretty good crowd for a Monday night…

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:50 pm

You’ll even argue that that’s a good crowd for the clincher.

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:31 pm

For Oakland, absolutely that’s a good crowd, even for a clincher. Exhibit 29 for Lew Wolff and San Jose…

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:36 pm

And it’s fucking sad,

57. SanDawg said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:49 pm

@Blade: mad props for clarifying the definition of “skull fuck.” Hopefully that will prevent a reprise of a hilarious incident here a couple of years ago when a poster thought “smoking pole” was the same thing as “smoking pot” and posted something like “I used to smoke a lot of pole in college, but now I do so only occasionally when I have trouble sleeping!”
    Flav: There were several women at the reunion who had aged quite well. Sadly, most in that group were still married. At any rate, the drinks were stiff, everyone was cool and the band kicked ass…..young dudes, but they busted out nice versions of some great 80’s stuff including a few deeper cuts ie Girls Got Rhythm and Flying High Again. played 18 the next morning at Davis Muni with a few of the fellas and even made it up to Redding for some QT with my folks. read the D’Acquisto article while sitting in a rocking chair at the swank new terminal at the SacTown airport while watching the planes come in. It was a cool moment in a weekend that had many.

• zumiee said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:55 pm

A few months ago I was watching a small local band and they suddenly cranked out a cover of “Candy-O” by the Cars. It really sounded good. I hadn’t heard that song in decades, and I just marveled that someone would cover that song.

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Up until about 70, the women age much better than the boys. At 70 the men start to look better because the ones who didn’t take care of themselves are dead.

58. zumiee said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Speaking of looks, let’s go ahead and call The Cars the worst-looking rock band in history. Yeah, I know Ocasik ended up with a “super-model” but so what. Super-models are bleh.

59. twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Tomorrow at 4:10 Pacific the Mets play the Marlins and the biggest AB of the year will take place when Adam Greenerg steps to the plate in the bigs for the first time since he had his first at bat in 2005 and was hit in the head with a pitch. He’s been signed by Miami to a one day contract and boy do I hope he has a good at bat in what will probably be his last one. I have a video on Page B but I’ll put it here too

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Night all.

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I hope he gets a bunch of fastballs. And, he better take at least the first pitch…

• twinfan1 said, on October 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Dickey is starting for the Mets. I REALLY hope he gets fastballs.