Not The Time To Panic

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 7, 2012

I’m writing the thread today so Chuck can concentrate on the Niner game and whatever else fills up his Sundays…..

That was one of those games you could *feel* wasn’t quite right. Baseball is about breaks and I think last night’s game heavily favored the Reds (in terms of breaks). Sure, we got Cueto out of the game but that isn’t necessarily considered a good thing. Baseball players don’t deal with disruptions to their preparation very well. Not to mention that we got served 4 innings of Latos and this huge *gift* that everyone keeps talking about felt more like a booby trap.

The Reds pitched ok. Nothing special. Actually I felt like they showed some a fair amount of vulnerability. Latos was decent but we hit some rockets off of him that unluckily found gloves. He struck out 1 batter, he was hardly dominant. And Broxton and Chapman showed me nothing except that they are *get-able* later on in this series.

They’ve got lots of questions to still answer. Cueto might be able to come back in Game 3 but I wouldn’t count on it. And even if he does, the Reds pitching staff is now facing a major disruption (with Cueto having to leave early and Latos having to pitch 4) and we all know how baseball players are with disruptions to their routine.

And maybe I’m just being a homer, but I look at Scutaro and Pence’s combined 0-8 and it just didn’t look or feel that bad. They hit balls far and hard last night—they just found gloves. Bad luck.

Personally, I don’t like the idea of Cain pitching on short rest. If Timmy goes in 3 (and assuming there’s a Game 4) then I would absolutely go with Zito to start in Game 4. We’ve won 11 in a row when he’s taken the mound. That’s not something to fear it’s something to embrace. Now, if Zito doesn’t have it THEN you go with Cain as an emergency fill-in mid game.

But all of that is something to worry about next week. Game 2 is the only thing that matters right now……

1. demp28 said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm

How’s that 12 man pitching staff working out for ya Bochy? I would have left Timmy in there at least to finish it. Fuck, it was only 4-0 at the time.
    Mota, don’t let the door hit you on the way out. DEAD MAN WALKING.
    This game is pretty fucking pathetic.
    I wonder if Magowan is in the house. Wonder if he’ll have a drink with Dusty after the game, and say he’s really sorry about what happened after 2002.

• twinfan1 said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Yeah, we’d be up two-zip with an 11 Man staff..

• blade3colorado said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Demp, just wondering how the 12 man pitching staff played a role in these two losses?????

• blade3colorado said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Sorry Twin – I meant for that question to go under demp’s moniker . . .

• twinfan1 said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I think he figures Justin Christian would have driven in 16 runs..as to Timmy, the series isn’t over. You don’t frigging use him up down four runs.

• twinfan1 said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Everybody is testy. How would you like to be Denny tonight? Giants lose and Alex has a brilliant game. Total misery.

2. blade3colorado said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:32 pm

In all honesty, the players have to “wash” this one off and hopefully, their collective memory is short . . . as in the next game they start playing like the Giants we saw during the majority of games this season.

Is there more pressure? No shit Sherlock, but hand wringing and panicking wont change facts that they are likely down 2 games to zip after this inning. Think of it this way – you’ll tell even more wonderful tales to your grandkids about the 5th team in MLB history to come back from being shellacked the first 2 games.

3. twinfan1 said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Night all.

• demp28 said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Just pissed, that’s all.

• blade3colorado said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Yeah demp . . . you’re not the “Lone Ranger,” as we all are a bit pissed about this one.

4. Bozo said, on October 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm

How bout them Niners?

5. snarkk said, on October 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I’m putting up my new thread in a coupla minutes…

6. tedspe said, on October 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm

To cite blade

7. eddacker said, on October 8, 2012 at 1:30 am

AARRRGGGG!
    Arroyo?
    Pence, bottom of the ninth?
    Bumgarner?