A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Game 7 Report

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 23, 2012

Jean sent me her recap and an unbelievable photo for you all to enjoy tonight. Epic, Jean, and you are awesome……

__________________________________________________

So, it’s 1:00 Monday afternoon, and I’m supposed to be leaving in half an hour to head to SF when I have a flash of brilliance. I call my friend Deb, tell her my plan, and to my disbelief she agrees. (Trust me, after nearly 30 years of friendship, she has plenty of reason to doubt these ‘flashes’.) With ever increasing anticipation, I head down to the City – KNBR playing on my radio, laughing at odd moments just thinking about how lucky I am. Traffic is light, the rain that was coming down by the bucketful in Santa Rosa has turned into blue skies by Petaluma. All is right in my world.

I get to Deb’s house, and she puts the plan into motion, while I come check out the Flap. (See, I’m the idea girl, follow-up is always somebody else’s job). We get on the J Church wa-a-a-ay out in Noe Valley, which means we get to sit. At random intervals, we turn to each other and exclaim ‘I can’t believe we’re going to Game 7!!!’. As the train moves closer and closer to it’s destination, more and more happy folks join us – the buzz is growing. Even a transfer at Van Ness proves to be no problem, there is plenty of room on the train heading to the park. (By ‘plenty’, I mean of course that there was room for the two of us. The train was packed.)

We arrive at the park, and the crowd is fired up! Everyone is being very orderly, just happy to be there. Even in a town that treats Halloween as one of the major holidays, I don’t think SF has ever seen that much Orange and Black. We make our way to our seats, getting the ubiquitous rally towel at the turnstile. Stopping for a quick purchase at the t-shirt stall, we decide to get dinner before we sit – who knows when we will ever want to leave our seats. While Deb orders our dogs, Kenny Lofton is announced as throwing out the first pitch. I let out the first of what will be a ridiculous numbers of Woooo’s, turning toward the field, and right into a Cardinals fan’s face. I apologize, and he takes it well. (Bless his heart.)

Turns out that while Section 103 is ideally situated for ragging the opponent’s bullpen, row 21 – not so much. But, we are surrounded by some of the most fun people I could ever hope to share this Game 7 with: the dad and his two kids behind us; the lovely couple from Pleasanton next to me; the two kids in front; and the older couple next to Deb. All of us just ecstatic from before the first pitch. (I have little to say about the flyover – I thought it was very disappointing, no tummy rumbles or anything. Seriously, a silent flyover?!?!?!)

Onto the game itself: barely controlled insanity from the moment the team leaves the dugout. I warn my friend that we will be standing and sitting more often than at a Catholic wedding. It’s nearly impossible to see both the batter and the pitcher, what with all the rag-waving arms in the way, but I don’t care. Everything is going our way, and there is much high-fiving and hugging. Deb and I ask our neighbors to take a picture of us (see, I told you I had proof you were all with me last night). This sparks a conversation with the folks from Pleasanton, who make note of the website, and inform us that their boys, 4 and 6, misunderstood them when Hunter Pence arrived and he is forever to be known in their household as “Under Pants”. (Probably in my household, too.) Deb decides to go to the bathroom when Matheny pulls Lohse – rotten timing, but the bladder wants what it wants. We don’t even know about the crazy optical illusion that is Under Pants’ hit, but that makes the entire event no less magical for the crowd. And, it truly encapsulated the entire night – we all knew the baseball gods were on our side!

You guys watched the game, I’m not here to give a play-by-play, but I really wanted to give you a flavor of what it was like out there. I’m sure you heard the cheering in the top of the 6th when Matty gave Holliday his notice. I’m not certain, though if you heard the unbelievable roar that erupted when the deluge began. It just seemed so darned perfect, so dramatic, so much more evidence that there was some higher power intervening on our behalf. And through the multitude of arms, bodies, umbrellas (gah!), I saw a truly magical moment. Remember the other day, when I posted about not knowing which were my memories of ’89 and which were from replays? Well, I will never forget how I felt when I saw Marco Scutaro throw open his arms, turn his face to the heavens and just enjoy the moment. Just thinking about it now, brings a tear to my eye – you don’t often see such a pure expression of unadulterated joy. It was the sort of thing that defines why I love this game so much. And, to have the final play be a Holliday pop up to Scutaro – only Hollywood rights those kinds of stories.

Are the Giants done? Hell no! They are playing at least 4 more games in an unbelievable finish, to an unforgettable season. The Giants are and always will be my team. I have my favorite Giants from over the years. But these Giants, and this team? Come what may, these gentlemen will always hold an especially dear place in my heart.

1. ewisco said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Ferret, I say this with ALL due respect: You the GIRL!!! what a great post! what a great Pic! What a great ride! Amazing.

• ewisco said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I left out, what a great sign!! is there a knowing dude sideways shake of the head that says, wow?

2. zumiee said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm

What an awesome report. You took us right there with you. Thanks!
    And great photo!

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Awesome!

4. zumiee said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Great job on the sign! Very cool.

5. Flavor said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:28 pm

She emailed me that she had a pic that she wanted posted and I just didn’t see that one coming. Pawlie is gonna love it. Might inspire me for something tomorrow, we’ll see. 🙂

6. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Jean, aka, FerretHead, I’m having trouble typing because of the “water” in my eyes. Magnus just sent me an email to check out the blog. I was ready to call it quits here in the Sunset District of SF after a long but very fine day of travel. This report, with its grand photo, was one of the best dispatches about a live sporting event anyone will read anywhere. It raises the bar. It’s the sort of account I am striving for. You’re right; we know the game, the play-by-play; this is something else. We are in your debt. Gorgeous. Like this city, this team, its fans. Now let me get a tissue to take care of the “eyewater” problem.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:32 pm

p.s. and chills too
      I’m so happy for you, for us, for our team, for our history-breaking reinvention as fans. Anyway, thanks again, Jean. G’night, girls. Tomorrow, hope to see some of you. And it is so fecking weird, this repeat visit of mine. You can’t repeat the past. This time, it’s all radically different. And that’s fine. Just as it should be. Oh. Remember, how we *couldn’t* beat Cliff Lee? Need I say more?

7. twinfan1 said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm

You know what I think of you, dear. Hell, you recently moved from 6 to 2. I’m so happy that you had such a great time- you’ve been through a lot, you deserve it..

8. TedSpe said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Beyond excellence. Thanks Ferret

9. ChiPower said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm

What an absolutely wonderful painting of a very special day. It was special for all of us in our own individual ways, but you really did take me there (bummer the fly-over sucked…usually one of my favorite parts of the pre-game hoopla). That was beautiful. Great picture…bitching sign. You nailed it, girl. I agree with Pawlie – we are forever in your dept. I especially like the way you wrapped it up with your description of Marco. That for me was the ultimate part of the game.

I have had quite a few moments since yesterday…watching the game, reading articles of the game, watching video, etc, that have all brought a tear to my eye, and your sharing of your special day was yet another instance.

I am so happy that you got to experience the game. I am sure it will provide many warm memories for years to come.

And you are right. Are the Giants done? Oh HELL NO!

Just Four More Wins!

10. tedspe said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Hey Flav, I sent you an email

11. wswin said, on October 23, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Great post woo girl… hope word spreads about that “under pants” story.

12. snarkk said, on October 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Excellent dispatch from the ATT front lines…

13. Macdog said, on October 23, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Such a wonderfully joyous account and accompanying picture of what was truly a special night for SF Giants fans everywhere. I may be 3000 miles away, but you made it seem as if I was right there every step of the way.

14. eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 4:15 am

Well, THANK YOU FH! You angel you. That picture is an instant classic and brought great joy to this SF born lad living 7,000 miles away from AT&T Park. The story? Even better. brilliant, top marks! You took me into the stadium for one of the greatest Giants’ games ever.
    I’ll bet your drive home was magical, as was your post.

15. eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 4:45 am

I just watched BaseBall ToNight, I know, I know, but it is the only major news program I get. For some reason comcast video does not work, Quelle surprise! Internet TV mostly sucks. There used to be a local station that did one game a week and many of the championship/ws games. They had an announcer in the mold of the great drinking radio announcers of the past teamed with a colour guy that was a UK lad that had 3 or 4 years in the majors. They dropped out a couple of years ago.
    So ESPN is what I have. And they are really giving props to the Gmen, but it almost seems like they are doing what the director told them to, seems like it is unnatural to them and they know it. But they are doing it anyway.
    They showed the field looking good after the rain and they showed scooter with belt taking hitting tips from him.
    WS starts tonight and we should get FH tickets as a reporter for the flap, for every game.

16. eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 4:50 am

I also just read the Mitch Albom article and saw snarrk’s comment. I tried to post this, but I think comments are closed:

I liked the article, and the ‘quake was a main feature of that ws. Being a Detroit writer that I have liked it was quite brave with it’s questioning of what the baseball gods will do with the Tigers.

I’d be more worried what the SF Team spirit will do.
    Go Gigantes!

17. eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 5:14 am

Verlander doesn’t mean to sound cocky, but, yes, he says he’s the best pitcher in baseball and the Tigers will win the World Series, last accomplished when he was 20 months old.
    Verlander vows the next week won’t bring a repeat of 2006, his rookie season when he went 0-2 with a 5.73 ERA and committed two costly errors in the World Series won by the St. Louis Cardinals in five games.
    I believe that Cards WS win was after winning a game 7 to get to the ws.

• chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 6:28 am

You’re righe, Edd…Cards beat the Mets in 7.

18. blade3colorado said, on October 24, 2012 at 5:39 am

I went to bed early last night, but I did wake up early this morning and of course, the bloke across the pond is up earlier. 🙂

However, I digress . . . Jean, as noted by the other Flappers, I am blown away by the report and especially, by the epic picture of you, your friend, and the sign stating our 2012 mission, goal and rallying cry, “We Score, We Win.”

Equally important, is the Flap address noted on the sign, which reminds me of Navin R. Johnson’s memorable quote from the movie, The Jerk:

Navin R. Johnson: The new phone book’s here! The new phone book’s here!
    Harry Hartounian: Boy, I wish I could get that excited about nothing.
    Navin R. Johnson: Nothing? Are you kidding? Page 73 – Johnson, Navin R.! I’m somebody now! Millions of people look at this book everyday! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity – your name in print – that makes people. I’m in print! Things are going to start happening to me now.

Flav, prepare for One Flap Down to hit the Top Ten list of baseball sites on planet Earth. It could happen . . .

🙂

• chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 6:31 am

WTF…you mean it isn’t ALREADY??? Well, if it isn’t (and it SHOULD BE), then it certainly will be, now.

19. Bozo said, on October 24, 2012 at 5:59 am

FH – What an awesome story and photo. Down around section 103 is a Sheboygan Brat stand, hopefully that was the dog of choice for you and your friend. They sure are tasty,. Damn, I wish I had one right now.
    The story brought me right back to game seven, thank you for that. What a great game to have been at, although probably a bit soggy on the J Church going back.
    Cheers!

• chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 6:42 am

The Sheyboygan Brat is my favorite food at the yard. I get one every game. I remember one game (probably an Opening Day), and I went to get a brat around 11:45 or so (the fricking park was barely open) and they were SOLD OUT. I waited in line while someone was “supposedly” bringing more up from down below. After about a half hour wait…I gave up and went with the Cha Cha bowl or something like that. There are really quite a few good options at the ol’ ball yard, but hands-down for me it is the Sheboygan brat (withj lots of kraut and onions). Dammit, John…now I am wishing i had one for breakfast! (But then I would want a cold one to wash it all down, and that just might be frowned-on here at work!)

• Bozo said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:06 am

I used to complain that there wasn’t any beer in the soda machines where I used to work. How civilized would that be?

• Bozo said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:10 am

BTW chi, the Sheboygans, the carved roast beef in the Club section and the Cha Cha bowls were my favorites out there.

• blade3colorado said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:12 am

You would have loved the military Bozo . . . After being yelled and screamed at in basic training, someone had to pinch me when I arrived at tech school, in Chanute, Ill., where the instructors were not only friendly, but they directed us to the “beer dispensing machines.” Yes, they were similar in every way to a soda machine, except having Buds, Coors, etc. 🙂

• Bozo said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:20 am

Blade, I know they have them in Europe, I didn’t know they had them on base.

Oh well. Beer, it’s not just for breakfast anymore.

• chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:21 am

Yeah, in the CF area (near Orlando’s) there is a carving station that does a tri-tip sandwich that is kick-ass, too.

• chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:29 am

LMAO Blade – I remember those! I went to Chanute, too (1978). Was there in February, and we had to march to school in fucking knee-deep snow for quite a few days. That was the time-frame when I got really good at billiards (PITT and PING club on base).

Weekends were great! We would shoot down to Urbana/Champagne and chase the University of Illinois skirts. You ever go there? I remember there was a pizza joint called Garcias and their delivery cars were red Pacers with a little tomato stem on top! Ahhh…fun times!

• blade3colorado said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:45 am

Of course I remember Chi . . . I also remember the marching to school, which seemed like miles away. We would wear those fucking wool masks that covered your entire head, except nose and mouth. By the time I got to class, I had frozen snot dripping down to my mouth. Ugh.

One reason I don’t drink anymore is that I remember leaving the Enlisted Mens club bonzoed to the max and walking back to the barracks . . . I decided to take a leak by one of those static aircraft displays and I also decided to take a nap. MPs discovered me sleeping in a snow drift and took me back to the barracks to sleep it off. I was actually quite comfortable in the snow and complained about them waking me the fuck up. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

That is fricking hilarous, Steve. Yeah, I got bombed outta my gourd a few times back there. Thankfully no run-ins with the MPs! 😉

20. chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:19 am

If anyone gets a chance…pick-up a copy of today’s Sacramento Bee. The sports section has a great full page pull-out titled “FEEL THE REIGN” that shows Scoots, MudBug and The Reverend.

BTW – anyone know how to post a picture here, on this page/thread? If so, I will post a shot of it…

21. eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hunter Pence talks baseball:
    stressful, beautiful, wonderful – all from one ball

the espn broadcast was live from phonepark recorded 9-10pm Oct 23
    What did ESPN call the SFGs?
    tenaciousness, gutty, resolve, great team relationships, confidence

But I think they see the Tigers as the team to sell viewers on. They did about 15mins of drama about the deee-roits followed by about 5mins on the Giants.

espn calls bumgarner and fielder the 2 guys that need to get it done.
    they also said verlander dominates game one

22. eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:24 am

Brats are my favorite, too! of course I used to bring my own from a BBQ joint in Berkley. Brisket w/ red beans and rice ain’t bad, either.

• chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:30 am

John will know about the red beans and rice from down in the Big Easy. Now that is some FINE EATIN’!

• Bozo said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:54 am

Chi it’s funny you should say that. I was just looking at a 4 lb bag of Camellia red beans that I have and realized that I also had some andouille sausages. I love red beans and rice.
        Did you know Louis Armstrong used to sign stuff with Red beans and ricely yours?

• chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 8:10 am

Believe it or not, I had heard that about Louis. Yeah, I was in Nawlins a few times…couple of times with my civilian job, and a couple of times with the Air Force (Naval Air Base/Joint Reserve Base). I was part of a team from my squadron that was there, and we had done some really kick-ass work for them on their A-10s (clearing up maintenance back-logs), so they threw a HUGE going away party for us. They brought in boiled crawfish, red potatoes, and corn on the cob…boxes and boxes of the stuff. And of course, plenty of cerveza, too! Awesome times.

Anyway…yes…I absolutely love me some red beans and rice! I believe Monday is the traditional day on which most restaurants and cafes serve it. Is that right?

• Bozo said, on October 24, 2012 at 8:25 am

Yes, Mondays are the tradition. But I’d eat them anytime. The best I ever had was at Buster Holmes which closed after he died, ironically he died on a Monday. Gotta get me some ham hocks so I can make a batch.

23. eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:29 am

Has anyone seen the TagOrama on MLB.com? they take hi-res panorama pics of the stands and you can zoom in and see everyone (almost) in the stands and if you are clever you can ‘tag’ your name on the picture.
    Anyway it is easy to find FH enjoying the game in the pic from game 7.

• chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:39 am

Nope. Looked for it and could not find it. Where is it located on the site?

3000 frames per second…how could you EVER get tired of watching this…

• eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 9:19 am

It is easiest to find it in the menus at the bottom of the page.

• Bozo said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:55 am

Yes I have. Been checking out my old seats.

• ferrethead said, on October 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Ed, I can’t find it…I know it sounds horribly egotistical to want to see myself in the stands, but what can I say? Can you give me more hints – I didn’t see anything that sounded remotely like this on mlb.com. Thanks!

• eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

sure, i have a pic
        I couldn’t tag you but you are right by someone tagged as ‘5’
        FH

• ferrethead said, on October 24, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Thanks, Ed! I was hoping to see Deb, too, but the little white panda head is blocking her face. Can’t blame the kids from standing on their chairs, but….still, this is WAY cool! Ain’t technology swell?

24. denniszu said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:46 am

What a picture.. what a story……. what a memory….

25. Alleykat it's said, on October 24, 2012 at 7:53 am

You are Awesome Jean,(Ferret) what a great story and your sign with the Flap site tells it all.So glad you were able to go with your friend and 45,000+other die-hard Giants in a clincing game 7,what insane excitement that had to of been!WOO-HOO!!!
    Flapper breaking update just cause we can:
    America Idol winner with the 2 first names Phillip Phillips or Phillips Phillip.will be singing the National Athem..He’s a Giant fan,cause he has a connection with Buster Posey being both born in Leesburg(sp?) Georgia and.both going to the.same H.S .Has to be extra good Karma tonight right?…Orange&Black and Don’t Look Back!!!!!!!

26. chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 8:12 am

And Ferret – one other thing that is SO FUCKING COOL about your being there for Game 7. It is the FIRST Game 7 win by our boys in the Orange and Black in the ENTIRE history of the franchise (well, where Game 7 was a series chinching game). (Supposedly they won a game 7 WAY back in the day against the YankMees, but that was part of a 9 game series experiment that was tried, I believe, for one year). Anyway…so cool that you were there for that HISTORICAL and monumental event!

27. chipower9 said, on October 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

Click on the “Game x” links next to Galleries on this link (Sacramento Bee)…some absolutely great shots from the NLCS series. Game 7’s are awesome!

• eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 9:05 am

Nick Peters used to be a real good SFG reporter for the Bee

28. eddacker said, on October 24, 2012 at 9:17 am

while you guys are reminiscing about red beans and rice from the home of red beans and rice.I went out to my local butcher and got some german brats, polish sauerkraut and nice fresh baked hoagies. You can use hard buns instead; like tits on a ritz most things taste better on hard buns.
    I know it is 6 hours to game time, but it is tea time here. Bon Appetit and
    Go Gigantes!

29. Heather McNamee said, on October 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

I enjoyed the blog and meeting you!
    The lovely couple from pleasanton
    “Go under-pants”!!!!!

• ferrethead said, on October 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Yay! So great to see your post! It was a rush job getting the post up last night, so I had to immortalize you in words only – hope I did you justice. You and your husband were such a great compliment to a fantastic night. Give your sweet lads a hug from the Flap Nation, they have added to the lexicon – Under Pants, indeed!!!

30. ferrethead said, on October 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thank you all for the kind words – and for forgiving any errors in grammar and punctuation. (Poor Pawlie must have been suffering watery eyes from those alone.) Our fearless leader wanted to go to sleep – whatever! – and I really only had time for a first draft. At least that way you all know it was heartfelt, as I didn’t get a lot of time to think about what I was writing.

I am so glad to be a part of the Flap family. Thanks for letting me give this report, Flav! And, thanks to the Giants for, well, everything!

31. ducatidave said, on October 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Jean and Deb – it was great meeting you guys!! The boys have their Panda hats on and are ready for game 1. Go Giants! Go Under Pants!!

• Flavor said, on October 24, 2012 at 8:56 pm

the *under pants* part of the story was completely epic….

32. WilcoJoe said, on October 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm