A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Going To THEIR Yard Now

Posted in Uncategorized by zumiee on October 25, 2012

Comerica Park. I don’t know much about their yard. I vaguely remember a few years ago the power alleys were shortened, although centerfield is still real deep. I’m sure the Tigers and their fans are hoping that will be enough to get their hitters going. Maybe. But one of the most basic things about baseball is WE GET TO BAT, TOO. And maybe Posey, Pence, and Belt get it going big-time in the extra-base department at Comerica Park. And, of course, THE PANDA will be sending a shiver of fear through the Tiger fans in the ballpark every time he steps to the plate. We can bang with the Tigers, as evidenced in Game One. Plus, we can play better small ball than them, when the opportunities arise, as evidenced in Game Two.

I found a photo of Comerica Park on the web. It’s got a cool centerfield view of the skyline.Image The Tigers hitters are the sleeping Tigers right now, but they have ability, of course. And they get their DH back in their home park. He’s been rotting on the bench at AT&T Park. Who will the Giants start at DH? Do you roll the dice with Huff, and hope that he has a Kirk Gibson-esque moment left in him? Can’t you just see Huff turning on a pitch and hitting a line-drive homer over the rightfield fence, and staggering around the bases? No? Too far-fetched? Arias or Theriot don’t really thrill the senses in this situation, IMO. I say go with Hector. Maybe he runs into one and becomes a World Series legend.

Enjoy the day, Flappers. We have a day to reflect on what the Giants have accomplished so far, and the challenges that lie ahead, and how the Series will hopefully end in our favor. The Tiger fans in the ballpark will be doing their best to try to match the intensity of the Giants fans. But the Giants are hardcore all-business old-school ballplayers. I heard Pagan being interviewed after Game One, and at the end of the interview, the interviewer said, “Well, I guess you want to get into the clubhouse to celebrate the victory with your teammates.” And Pagan said, “No celebration. We have a lot of work to do still.” And listening to the Giants being interviewed after Game Two tonight, it’s very clear, the Giants “get it.” They are in no way taking anything for granted, or are in any way taking the Tigers lightly. The Giants are ready to go into Comerica Park and PLAY BALL!!

1. snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:08 am

I was a kid when I was in Detroit the only time. It was 1968 and just a year after the riots. I remember seeing the outside of the old Tiger Stadium, and we drove seemingly endlessly along Michigan Avenue, and it looked like a bombed out city from WWII pictures, just tons and tons of storefronts boarded up all over. Crazy. I didn’t know such places existed in the US. Not sure how different it is even now with the continual economic troubles. Anybody been there recently?

And, I do remember taking the tour at Ford’s River Rouge steel and auto plant complex — in those days one of the great aggregations in one spot of industrial might in the world. I marveled at all the huge equipment, the rolls of steel flying around in one building, the blast furnaces, the huge fender stamping machines, and the NOISE. Incredible noise in those buildings.

I’d put Arias at 3rd and Panda at DH. Hector can wait for a PH assignment. His ABs just looked too bad in their most recent incarnations.

Are we in a position now like 2010 where the squad might win the Series away from ATT? If they can win it in a sweep, I’d take it, or 5. If somehow we could guarantee winning it on Halloween at ATT, that’d be just fantastic. But, we’ll just see what happens. We need to get at least one at Comerica…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:58 am

What a capsule history, Snarkk. Very vivid. Thanks.

2. eddacker said, on October 26, 2012 at 5:23 am

every season, nay, almost every game since 2009 I find a new way to take pride in the team I have loved since a child. Lately it has been defense. The old saw, defense wins championships rings true with me as an old corner infielder. While the opponents have had some trouble making nine innings of faultless play the Giants have always been just that little bit better.
    “It’s all about executing,” Bochy said. “And tonight we did a great job of it.”
    A game changer last night was nothing more than a relay throw, something that is done several times every game.
    WTG 2012 NLCS MVP Marco Scutaro 2012 comeback player of the year Buster Posey and the team that never says die.

3. blade3colorado said, on October 26, 2012 at 5:53 am

I said last night, “Shit, the Giants might sweep these stiffs. SERIOUSLY. I’m definitely not impressed with anything I have seen from the Tigers. If this is their “A” game, then they are in trouble.”

I think snarkk and Flav have similar feelings; Flav saying the Tigers were not athletic and had a lot of fat players (which I also stated yesterday); and, snarkk saying he wasn’t worried about the Tigers after the bunt yesterday and that he wasn’t impressed with the Tigers skill set.

Here’s the bottom line for me. Physically and emotionally, I was a wreck in the 1st game that we destroyed their best pitcher. Fast forward to game 2, I was calm, serene and peaceful watching the Giants win a close pitcher’s duel.

Frankly, you can stick a fork in the Tigers, unless they find a phone booth to switch from Clark Kent to the NLDS or NLCS Giants. Not likely in my opinion, especially when you consider that our 2 best pitchers are scheduled to pitch in games 3 and 4; coupled with the Giants rolling out the best road record in the MLB.

4. Bozo said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:45 am

The Tigers SP are all RHers so I think Huff will get the DH call and Nady would pinch run for him if the situation called for one run. If they used Sanchez can he switch to Catcher if Posey got hurt? I really don’t know shit about DH rules.

5. denniszu said, on October 26, 2012 at 7:27 am

I would prefer Huff to DH and get 3 or 4 AB’s and Arias or Nagy if he falters.
    With the way the Giants have been spreading the offense, I don’t think giving Huff a shot will hurt the team.

6. willedav said, on October 26, 2012 at 7:55 am

after a couple days in gloomy seattle, nice to be back and basking. Caught up with the threads from last few days, just awesome reading. Tho I wouldn’t bury Tigers just yet, they are just being outplayed across the board.
    Something about Snarkk’s take on how much SF rakes in relates to what I’ve read in the past somewhere, that this is why teams go all in on big contracts for FAs. How much would Angels have raked in at their yard if they had made playoffs and advanced like SF? Enough to pay off a few years of Pujols or at least soften the blow?
    These teams know Pujols et al aren’t going to be productive for that long; what they are mostly looking for is short term front end of the contract success that adds significant revenue and cache to the brand. That keeps the stadium full and the gear $$$ flowing all spring and summer. I’ve heard Giants Dugout Stores locally have lines like crazy—if SF romps home with another ring, what is that going to mean for Xmas sales?
    Giants bean counters must be ecstatic these days, envisioning all the cash flowing to the bottom line, whether SF gets to clinch at home or not. To these guys, baseball is just a business, tho Giants baseball is a pretty good business to be in right now.
    Fortunately right now there is so much more cool stuff going on. What I get out of SF is that all the adversity they have faced has prepared them well for postseason, to a man. You can knock them down, but they can handle anything or anyone thrown their way, with aplomb.

7. chipower9 said, on October 26, 2012 at 7:56 am

Nice thread, Zumie. Intersting info on their yard. There are a lot of similarities between Comerica and our yard. One – it is a “pitcher’s park” (CF wall is 420′ out), but as Zumie alludes, they did move the LCF wall in from 395 to 370 after the 2002 season. Their yard opened the same year as our yard and seats roughly the same (41,255). Also, it is 60% privately financed (where ours was 100%).

On the DH, I’m not sure how I want to see them go. The rules of the DH are convoluted, and I will have to go back and read them, to understand them more, before saying I would DH Sanchez. Here is the Wiki page on the DH (oh, and by the way…FUCK THE DH – That’s for Nipper).

What a great game last night. I almost fired-up the laptop on a couple of occasions to join the mix on the Flap, but the game was just so intense, I couldn’t do it…just wanted to watch and absorb the details.

What an awesome video narrated by Tom Brockaw at the beginning of the game. And how moving was the young Marine corporal (who was a ball player before joining the Marines) who lost three limbs in Afghanistan throwing out the first pitch. Well, suffice it to say, there weren’t any dry eyes in my house.

MadBum threw a gem, and got some great D behind him. I think the play on Fielder at the plate really set the tone. What a beautiful relay.

Once again…with Blanco’s bunt, there was just one more indication that the baseball gods are smiling on the boys in the Orange and Black.

And I love the way our guys are handling it (watched much of the post-game interviews from our club house on CSNBA). Glad to be up two, but saying that there is work left to do.

This team continues to amaze…what a kick ass game. Cannot wait for tomorrow’s game!

8. Salty said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:13 am

Good post, Chi. Agree.

I’m guessing it’s Hector. Why else did they add Eli? The DH rule is you can’t take the DH and play him in the field without losing the DH. That’s why I don’t think they will go Arias, since he’s the late D guy for Pablo. Huff runs like an 70 year old in hiking boots and I think is there strictly for that possible Gibson moment. And he’s 0-12 against A Sanchez.

Interesting that lefties hitting .243 RH .292 against A Sanchez. Also, we kicked his ass in Det back in May but he dominated at AT&T.

• Alleykat said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:29 am

They didnt add Eli to the roster,and that’s.a good thing….I like Panda at DH and Arias at third.

• Salty said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

My mistake then. Starting Arias, Pablo Dh would make sense.

9. James said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

Comerica is not a pitchers park, at least not by the measures baseball reference uses. The Giants, playing in a real pitchers park, scored as many runs as the Tigers this year. The Giants have the better offense, despite the common perception.

• chipower9 said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

Yeah, my bad…flippant use of the term by me, based on the park dimensions. Here are some stats that rank the parks (whether the favor the hitter or pitcher). Comerica ranks 9th (with Yankee Stadium at 17th being the point at which the park swings in favor of the pitchers).

10. willedav said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:43 am

I think James is right about SF having the better offense, esp when you factor in how well SF has hit and scored runs on the road, reg season and playoffs. As others have mentioned Sanchez is tough, but Scherzer way more hittable. The two lefties have baffled Tigers so far, and pen has been lights out. Props to Bochy for sticking Bum back in there and leaving Lincecum in the pen where his best playoff moments have occured. Now we get to put Vogs and Cain on the hill…. With any luck, Giants don’t even see Verlander again.

11. Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:51 am

Well, we have a better offense right NOW. Austin Jackson had a monster year, though. His WAR was 5.5, 2nd only to Posey on the Giants. And Miggy, while not showing it right now, is the best hitter on the field. Fielder behind him, with Jackson usually on base in front of them, is a devastating 1-2-3 punch.
    I do think that the Giants are better hitters up and down the LU.
    But the DH does give the Tigers a new weapon.

I forgot (or just never knew) that Comerica has that dirt path from the mound to the plate.

12. Salty said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:54 am

Think Bochy was relying on the info he got from Rags, who should be given credit for correcting Bum’s mechanics.

13. twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:56 am

I had first just noted Scutaro as being in his first series. then someone mentioned Vogelsong- and then more came to mind-most notably Zito, Pence, Pagan…geez, a lot of these guys haven’t had a taste. I haven’t even checked the Tiger players….
    The reason they flirted with the idea of Whitey making the squad was to free Hector up, so now I’d see what I and most observers thought for the DH- Pablo, with Arias at third. If Sanchez had to replace Buster, BTW, he can do that, but then the pitcher has to bat in Buster’s spot for the rest of the game. That is my understanding. This is true of course anytime a the DH moves to a position player spot- the pitcher must hit in the substituted player’s spot..

14. unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:04 am

AZ has that, too don’t it? Couple things about yesterday’s game. When They sent Prince Albert in a Can, i was 90% sure he was toast. Even with the carom. I get the being aggressive early, but too bad, so sad, the play was perfectly executed.

And EVERYONE said Leyland played it right not to try and cut off the run at home in the 7th. Bullshit and a half. The ball Crawford hit was right at their 2nd baseman, and would have been an easy force at home, and possibly a 4-2-3 DP.

Giving up a run that late was a big risk. Escpecially since our pen is tough to score off of. As it was, they lost because of it.

The good news? They have to be pretty damn down about the way these games went. Their ace gets bombed, and when they pitch well, they still lose.

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:26 am

What I heard on Leyland’s decision on the DP was very evenly split. Those who said he was wrong are right…

• Alleykat said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

Well I was.with you Twin,and I posted that last night.Freakin 0-0 game late,with a Tiger LU that is starving for a run and.showing nothing,you have to play the infield in.
        I know Bochy would have if it was reversed.
        Just a dumb.decision by Leyland IMO.

• chipower9 said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:35 am

But I love the way Bochy handled that question (whether Leyland was right or how he, Bochy, would have played it). He basically said doesn’t get into that kind of discussion. I don’t remember all the specifics of his answer, but really liked the way he handled the question.

15. unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:08 am

As far as DH goes. I think they put Arias as the DH, leaving Panda at 3rd.

Sanchez DHing? Naaah. Arias in his few ABs raked the ball. Sanchez not so much.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:27 am

The Giants tied for 3rd in all of baseball with 46 road wins this season. The Tigers don’t even see the freight train coming down the tracks.

17. unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:31 am

Besides, we don’t lose too much letting our pitchers hit . . .

18. twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:33 am

BTW, the Tiger DH hasn’t been on the bench, he’s been playing LF. The LFer has been on the bench. This has helped us.

• James said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

Their DH is not a very good hitter, either.

• Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:05 am

didn’t he win the ALCS MVP?

• James said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:38 am

He was pretty terrible over the course of the last 2 seasons against RHers. That’s a more realistic sample from which to judge his skills and productivity.

19. eddacker said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:38 am

I agree with dirt, Flav and Kat. Arias at 3rd, the tigers offense is a genie best left in the bottle and we are road warriors working for the trophy.

20. ferrethead said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:48 am

What I am having trouble wrapping my head around is this simple fact…the Giants are leading the Series. It’s just such an odd concept this year, that it keeps me from taking anything for granted, because it.just.does.not.compute. Weird, weird stuff.

21. Irish Kevin said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:48 am

I like the way Henry S. starts his article
    The Giants can hire every leprechaun in the Irish Yellow Pages, conjure every spirit who owes them a favor from a past life and get all the nutty, goofy bounces they are enjoying this October.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/SF-Giants-halfway-to-title-after-2-0-win-3982932.php#ixzz2AQMcduY9

• Irish Kevin said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:49 am

I have used those yellow pages before

22. Irish Kevin said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:57 am

Okay, if I am Leland, I am pointing to the Ciny game, and the St Louis game, and saying it can be done. This will not be easy for the Giants, and they should wear their game face till they win it all.

• unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:04 am

I don;t see the Giants taking anything for granted. Romo was talking about it last night as the MLB cre was regaling the 2-0 lead. Romo said, loook, we’ve been the team with our backs to the wall. We KNOW Detroit is not going to simply lay down. They are in their house now, and will look to take all 3 from us. If anyone understands that, we do.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

Correct, even more than the Tigers know how a team can bounce back. A win in Detroit will be big for us; a first-game win would be sweeter.

23. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:06 am

Not all caught up, in here or in life. Slept till noon. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I got a little pissed reading the end of yesterday’s thread about Herr Schilling’s comments and a few others by “professionals.” I mean, God in Heaven, what do we have to do to get their respect, win the effing World Series?? Win it two out of three years? Our team and their fans know that work needs to be done. Sergio Romo was almost muted and reserved — for him — after the victory. I was expecting him to go nuts. But, no, too early for that. To Philly tomorrow. The ballet during the game. Oy. Squirming in my seat. Texted scores humming in my pocket. Hope it “works” again.

24. Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:07 am

The play busting fat-Cecil’s-son at home was great, but it wasn’t executed perfectly. Blanco overthrew his intended target and, luckily, Marco made it over to back him up. Then Marco’s throw was perfect, as was Buster’s swipe tag.

• chipower9 said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:44 am

Sure, the first guy is the primary cut-off, but Marco was right where the 2nd baseman is supposed to be, for that specific reason. Crawford, Scutaro…all of them, said that is exactly how they practice that relay play.

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 am

There are supposed to be two cut off men, by my understanding.Scooter was supposed to be where he was. Again, that’s my understanding. Ideally, the first cut off man gets the throw and makes the relay, so Blanco did overthrow Crawford, but “Double Cuts” are employed for the very reason we saw last night. Here’s one where the first cut off man does get the throw and make the relay, with the second cut off man then getting the heck out of the way.

25. Alleykat said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

Leyland’s.biggest mistake was pulling Fister.He was pitching a beauty.He did not deserve to take loss.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:17 am

I agree and said that to my daughter repeatedly while watching.

26. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’m writing jumbled notes, on paper and digitally, to remember better my Experience before, during, and after, Game 1. But I’m way behind. Thank God that on Twitter, two of my three *girls* standing in back of me in the bleachers commented there. And I was worried I got a name wrong. Miraculously got it right. Let me share this one shining moment. When Pablo came up for his potential fourth home run. Everyone instinctively started chanting FOUR FOUR FOUR FOUR FOUR with four fingers raised. I can’t say it was just the bleachers. Probably the whole ballpark. Could viewers here it? FOUR FOUR FOUR FOUR FOUR. But within this it seemed to me that there were some almost silent pause with people just saluting with the four fingers raised and pumped. It was like a new nation had formed. Pandalirious Nation.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:31 am

That happened in my section too. It was pretty cool. Then Sandoval hit a single to go 4 for freaking 4 and everyone was like WTF Panda? What about that 4th bomb?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:43 am

We all just said, naw, it’s okay, you’re still FOUR for FOUR.

27. wswin said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:22 am

Thank Prince for showing cousins and the rest of the world to go for the plate and not the catcher…

28. twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:28 am

I have no doubt that the Giants aren’t taking anyhing for granted, nor should they. But having never heard of a blog commenter influence a series, we are free to do so, if so inclined.
    But I want to talk about one of our “lucky breaks”- the grounder that caromed off third base. Actually there was nothing noteworthy about it all. Thrown or batted balls hit a base all the time. What was noteworthy was what followed- the first base coach saw that the ball bounced into a vacant area and waved the runner on to second. Then a batter drove him in. Then the next guy hit a HR. There wasnt much luck involved with any of that. There was a common baseball occurence followed by smart coaching and baserunning and good hitting.That’s an example of why we’re up 2-0 and they’re not…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:45 am

You bet your life. Perfectly noted, Twin. About 567 commentators in the media should duly note the same. But that’s what we’re here for.

• chipower9 said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

And there was the instance of the ball hitting 2nd base in the Cards series (off of pitcher Lynn’s throw). Sure it happens…and I say the baseball gods were and are smiling on the Orange and Black…

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:18 am

Lots of lucky breaks never get recognized because they don’t impact the game for whatever reason. For instance, if Peralta hits his long drive when it really counted, we might be talking about how lucky he was that the ball glanced off of Angel’s glove for a gift HR..
        But if anyone wants to go with the luck theory, it’s fine with me. Heard it a lot in 2010. We still had the biggest parade.

• Macdog said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 am

Exactly. Maybe if “The Greatest Pitcher on the Planet” raises his game right then and there and gets one more out, the score stays at 1-0. And the “lucky” bunt last night to magically load the baes, last I checked a single and a walk preceded it.

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:28 am

A single, a walk, the bunt, and then one of the smartest managers in the game thinks it’s the third inning on July11.

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:42 am

I’m in the background, with gray hair and orange hoodie!!!!! (Not sure if link will work]:

• chipower9 said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

Blocked here at work…

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:46 am

I see you Pawlie.
      More importantly, who’s that smokin brunette? 😉

• Macdog said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:49 am

And where were all these babes when I was going to the ‘Stick in ’89-90?

30. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

I haven’t been able to find it again but I saw a stat on MLB that Bochy v Leyland all time is something like 47-21. Telling stat if you think managers have an impact.

31. Irish Kevin said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:50 am

Okay, so my comment above was taken the wrong way, I was not saying the Giants were taking anything for granted. What I was saying was if any of the Tiger players were hanging their heads, that is the speach I would geve if I was Leland. Rest assured I believe that the Giants go about there business, and much to my dismay, they win the WS in Detroit. No I will cheer the loudest in my house when they do win it, but how sweet would it be to win it at ATT park??

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:57 am

it’s weird, my peeps in the bleachers talked like that too; hey, I get it, about celebrating at home etc. But this fan’s view is take no chances; win it if and when you can, anywhere. I wouldn’t care if they clinched on fecking Pluto.

• Irish Kevin said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:29 am

Yeah, thats is why I said they win it all in Detroit, That is fine by me, getir done and Larry says!!

• eddacker said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:50 am

they have baseball on Pluto?
        goofy, that.

• Wilcojoe said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

This whole tag a fan deal or whatever it’s called is pretty cool…Neat way to capture the “moment.”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:57 am

Too funny Pawlie. My friend turned me on to that yesterday too and it turned out he was in level 2 above me. I am tagged in there already. My dad must have been off getting drinks or something

32. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’m still bristling over those purported Schilling comments noted above. Magnus and I could’ve bumped him off from where we were standing. But we’re not that kind of people.

33. Macdog said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:18 am

For what it’s worth (Buffalo Springfield, anyone?), Pablo was the DH and Arias played 3B in two of the Giants’ nine road interleague games this year. Sanchez was the DH in one of those games. Buster was the DH three times, but that’s not going to happen in the Series. The other DHs were Christian, Blanco and Pagan.

34. unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:25 am

Even that bunt yesterday, all the pundits regale us with the talk of how lucky the Giants are. If they play the bunt and get the out at 1st, there’s still 2nd and 3rd, one out. Buster gets walked, Pence is up with the bases loaded.

How Lynn’s throw was the impetus for everything after it. Sure, it opened the door, but the Giants still had to take advantage of them.

Like Schilling saying game 1 meant nothing to Detroit.

What will be said if the Ginats win? They were lucky 2 of 3 years? They didn’t deserve to beat Cliff Lee, Justin Verlander, Cole Hamels, and any number of aces we beat to get these championships?

It’s not like I’m fuirious at all this, but day after day listening to them downplay what this team does day after day is laughable.

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I looked at that Lynn throw a coupla times on MLB vid, and I don’t think it mattered that it hit the 2nd base bag. I think Kozma or whatever his name is, the SS, was not going to field the hop anyway if it just hit the ground. It still would have bounced into the OF. I’m pretty sure Lynn really wasn’t to blame in a way, Kozma was late breaking to the bag, so Lynn did a short, almost imperceptible double clutch to account for the tardiness, and the ensuing throw became errant. Kozma’s screw-ups helped a lot in several of those games…

• chipower9 said, on October 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm

That’s why I don’t listen to the motherfuckers…their “Opinion” doesn’t mean jack shit to me. I could give a flying fuck what they think.

My (our) team is up 2-0…they can go smoke some fucking pole…

35. Irish Kevin said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

The end of an article on CSNBAYAREA, by Casey Pratt
    Maybe a return home will bring that familiar roar back to the Tigers. Right now, it sounds more like a kittens meow.

36. unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:26 am

Was everyone around you giving Schill(ing) a hard time? I woulda been ripping him constantly.

• Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:51 am

they were heckling him non stop— saying his sock had fake blood, saying he was only doing this job because he’s bankrupt— and they were screaming it at him, lol

• Alleykat said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:57 am

Classic BF…Fuck Schilling and his Heinz Ketchup Sock!!!
        I would have been “All Over” him as well.Along with AJ Jerkoff!!!!!!!!

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:59 am

For the stupid stuff he’s been saying about the Giants, he deserves it. Or, maybe he’s saying it because of the haranguing he got. Chicken and egg? I think he had some thing against the Giants because of Bonds, wasn’t that it? Which would be weird, since the RSox never played the Giants, essentially. And, certainly there were never any ‘roiders in the RSox clubhouse, right Big Papi? Or, does anybody know that Herr Schilling has some other silly reason to piss on the Giants?…

37. snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:55 am

This is neither here nor there, but it’s an off day. Why has Freddy suddenly appeared in the dugout for the Series? Was he there during the NLDS and NLCS — I didn’t see him, that I remember. I suppose he cleared it with the management and the team, but am I the only one that finds it odd that he was barely seen during the regular season at ATT, and I think barely made it to one game (somebody correct me if I’m wrong) in Phoenix for games v. the Dbacks, and there was some reported grumbling about that? I know he was rehabbing in AZ, but I just find it a little off-putting that he finally shows up for any length of time to support the troops when the stage is the biggest and all the klieg lights are on. And, I’m usually one of, if not the biggest, Freddy supporter around here. Is it a case of the more the merrier and I’m just being a prick on this, or not?…

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:59 am

I think Franchez has been in the dugout throughout the post season. He just doesn’t whore for the camera like Wilson so noone has noticed him.

• eddacker said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I have been in the UK too long, I have lost my California edge.

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Steady access to good British bitter will do that.
        It would to me, anyway…

• Bozo said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I think Dirt is right. I’m not sure if Freddy is traveling with the team, but I saw him during the Cinci series.

• chipower9 said, on October 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I think he has been with them for each series. He IS on the 40 man roster, so he has every right to be there. I heard him interviewed a while back and he was saying that while his year was done (from a playing standpoint), he still wanted to help in any way he could (observations, suggestions, etc.). It’s all good as far as I am concerned.

38. eddacker said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I saw him in the latter games for the NLCS wearing the light gray hoodie
    was surprised no one mentioned it here, guess I should have?

39. snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Ok, thanks guys, I just didn’t see him earlier. I’m still wondering about him being pretty much absent the rest of the season. Rehabbing and cashing the checks take time, I guess…

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Hell, on the other hand, who am I to criticize Freddy? If he’s been with them since the Cincy series, maybe he’s the rabbit’s foot that’s put them over the top so far in the playoffs. Stay Freddy, stay…

40. twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I’m definitely of the more the merrier camp- and whoring for the camera is fine with me too. Maybe it’s a closer thing- Sergio is no slacker himself. But Serge, the beard- no contest. Brian has the 2013 job on that alone. I’ve done some scientific research and Wiille’s beard gets him 7 extra saves. Face it- there are some pussies who will never hit a guy who looks like a 12th century warlord.

41. snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm

This closer by committee deal has worked out better than I expected, since it almost never does. Gotta hand it to Bochy this season for managing that, and he’s lived up to his rep as Pen handling being his best attribute. For next year, I’m not sure I really wanna see the Beard back as closer, assuming he’s ready and able sometime in mid season. That’s a big assumption, too. Normally you need a good deal more than 12 months to really recover and regain game strength. I don’t really miss those nail biting 9th innings where Wilson walks two guys and goes 3-2 on everybody and finally gets it done after 37 sweat-inducing pitches. He may not like it, but maybe he should just become one more guy on the Committee…

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm

You (and Sergio) have actually convinced me he deserves to be the man. I was kidding about Brian. But I do think it’s all or nothing with him. I don’t think he stays if he’s not the closer.

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Where the Giants are right now shows that missing Wilson is far from a kill shot to the Pen. If Hembry turns on the light bulb next season, hey, it’s even better. Casilla may not be back, and Mota’s gone. Maybe Hembry and Runzler find themselves. Frankly, Wilson’s off field act is wearing thin to me, and we don’t know if he can ever provide again on field what he did before. At best, I’m ambivalent about him coming back. Outwardly, the guys on the team seem to enjoy him, and if true, that’s a plus. Closers tend not to have a long shelf life, especially one’s like him that go through a lot of pitches every outing to get it done…

42. ewisco said, on October 26, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I don’t expect to see a resurgent wilson first thing. It always takes longer than they say to regain FULL strength. I have no idea what they’ll do but i’ve learned to trust them. the really interesting thing will be his contract. isn’t that due? who knows what he’s worth.

I’m with Pawlie (i think it was him), and i want to win wherever. the sooner the much more better. Right now the g’s sure look good but if vogey has an off game, and let’s face it he’s in pretty rare air, and cain, who’s looking a bit shakey to me, does a face plant, it’s a whole new series. I would not relish a zito/verlander rematch to see who goes up in the series. I like what i’m hearing out of the g’s dugout though. no one is thinking past the next game.

• chipower9 said, on October 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Wilson is finishing up a 2 year contract this year. He is arbitration eligible next year (last year), and will be free agent eligible in 2014. If the Giants choose not to offer him arbitration, I believe he becomes a non-tendered free agent.

Regardless, yes…it will be interesting to see what the team does.

43. unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Snarrkk, Frahchez has been there the entire playoffs.

• unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Ahhh, that’s what I get for posting before reading. Everyone else answered the Freddie question . . .

44. unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm

The great thing about the WS is Detroit hasn’t seen Sergio like the rest of the NL has. Not that it means Sergio shouldn’t close (and he still scares the shit out of me at times), because he’s doing a bang-up job now after saying last year he never wanted the job.

But no one in either league throws like he does. And when it gets time for him to pitch, he’s got a huge advantage.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 26, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Watching him last night I think you’re right that he has an even bigger advantage over hitters that have never seen him or haven’t seen that much of him. Especially this year he has really stepped up his game by mixing in the fastball with great control. I am just amazed by Romo. He’s been pitching in The Show for a few years now. Everybody know what is coming and he still breaks them down.

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I agree. He’s really using his fastball much better this year and last to set up that slider, and also to surprise hitters to steal a strike early or even a called third strike. That 89 mph fastball must look about 96 after a couple of those roundhouse sliders…

45. unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Yeah, I’d love to go to game 6, but I’d rather just win the fucker and be done with it. Sweep.

It’s pretty good feeling knowing your best 2 pitchers get to pitch with a 2-0 lead to work from.

46. Wilcojoe said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Check out Bill Plaschke’s article in the LA Times (there is a link in Pav’s most recent post)…. Maybe the best thing I have read all year.

47. zumiee said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

It’s never a good thing when a pitcher gets hit in the head by a batted ball, but the flight of the ball after Fister got hit showed that he was fortunate. A lot of folks might see that flight of the ball out to centerfield and think that was a worst-case scenario, being horrified by the distance the ball went into centerfield; but the physics of the situation say differently. The ball going straight out to centerfield showed that the vast majority of the force stayed in the ball. Had the ball gone at a different angle, or worst of all, simply dropped at his feet, that would show that the vast majority of the force went into his head. So, it’s actually not as surprising as a lot of people might think that he was able to continue in the game.
    Today’s physics lesson was brought to you by Yoplait light yogurt. Is there a better way to get 15% of your daily Vitamin A, and 10% of your daily Phosphorus?

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Great post. Baseball is physics, really, when you think about it.
      I wonder what the Force was when Prince was lumbering down towards the plate last night: Mass x Acceleration = You’re OUT, Fat Man!…

48. Bozo said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm

OK, I’ve got a clown question. Does the WS play on the radio in out of market cities? I can pick up Nats games here so I’m hoping that station would cover it, but I don’t know for sure. I mean it’s the WS it has to be on the radio, right? The only reason I’m asking is sometime this weekend and/or Monday I expect to lose power here (I know, I know, buy a fucking generator you clown). I was hoping one of you other East Coast guys has already scoped this out. Thanks.

• zumiee said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

If you have a local station that uses ESPN programming, you should be able to get it. The KNBR morning show had the ESPN radio play-by-play guy as a guest yesterday, I think.

• Bozo said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thanks Z. I’ll start checking it out.

• Wilcojoe said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Yeah, pretty much every market has an ESPN radio affiliate where the game will air…The exception could be if that station also had a local broadcast of say a college football game, going on at the same time…I would imagine the local team would get precedent.

• Alleykat said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Clown….I mean Bozo,i would think ESPN Radio would carry the game,even in the outskirts of your back woods.
      Not sure about the section where they filmed “Deliverance” however.Ned Beatty is still squealing like a pig in the woods there,but his butt bleeds Orange&.Black!!!!

• unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Scuze me while I puke . . .

• Bozo said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm

“He got a real pretty mouth ain’t he?” , stay out of the woods, good advise kat. ESPN radio has a handy dandy location finder and I was able to tune one in. So as long as a NASCAR race isn’t running and the station doesn’t get knocked out by this storm, I’ll be good to go.

• eddacker said, on October 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm

that is so weird I just watched a Burt Reynolds bio

• ChiPower said, on October 26, 2012 at 9:29 pm

John – If you are thinking about buying a generator, I recently bought one of these.

Have used it a number of times when dry camping, and it kicks ass. Maybe a bit more noise than a Honda, but $385 vs. $1000 + for a Honda…this is smart money.

49. Salty said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Good article Wilco. Love reading of Lasorda’s reaction.

50. unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm

At least Plaschke admits his jealously.

Loved the Maury Wills quote at the end of the article:

“I never admitted this to anyone, but a couple of years ago I wrote Bruce Bochy a nice note on Dodger stationery,” admitted Wills. “I congratulated him for reminding us all how the game is supposed to be played.”

Sadly reminding us of what was once, you know, the Dodgers.

Kinda reminds me of Paul LoDuca thanking his steroid dealer on Dodger stationery.

51. twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I’ve never understood the spiel about Wison’s “act”.He’s funny, smart, and irreverent. If that’s his “act”, it’s a good one. Now as to closing next year, money will probably drive that decision. But the torture that drives us all crazy is a huge part of why he’s been such a good closer-he doesn’t give in. The walks may drive us nuts but the numero uno killer is the 9th inning HR, IMO. By way of comparison, in 222 9th innnings, he’s given up 14, In 63.2 Romo has given up 7.I was not among those who thought Wilson’s loss would be catastrophic: because of our bullpen depth and Bochy. If Wilson isn’t here next year we’ll get a better idea, IMO. Because I don’t think for a second that Bochy will continue the CBC and Sergio was not a “true” closer this year. He may or may not be as effective when he looks to the pen and no one’s there.

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm

His “act” was good when it was fresh.
      But, it’s getting a little stale and forced, IMO, and heading into constant, annoying “look at me” territory. And, I like beards. If he can’t produce with the new elbow, the “act” will get even more so, very quickly…

52. blade3colorado said, on October 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm

The resentment and jealousy is readily apparent by Lasorda and Wills, despite their protestations of denial. I also love the irrefutable statistics that Plaschke uses, that quantitatively leaves no doubt as to who is number 1 and who is number 2. His column is a very satisfying read on an off World Series day.

Just saying “off World Series Day” is very satisfying to me. Dodger fans certainly can’t say that, can they? Ha.

🙂

53. Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Twin, not sure what you meant by Romo not being a true closer. Since he basically took over the role in the middle of August, he’s had 30 appearances (inclu playoffs) and only given up one home run. And his 6-1 SO/BB ratio is outstanding and totally *closer worthy*. And last year he had like a 14-1 SO/BB ratio and that is off the charts for a closer.
    Now, if you mean he’s not durable enough to close over the course of a full year I agree with you.

• Irish Kevin said, on October 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I would think that a lot has to go into determining if Romo could close for the whole year. How many games were true save opportunities. i would think that for 2010 there were quite few games that needed to be saved.

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 5:06 pm

His numbers are totally closer worthy. I explained part of what I mean in the post- a “true” closer doesn’t have other relievers warming up as he begins the ninth- as I’ve put it before, he is the last line of defense. It moved more and more to that- but he made very few appearances without other relievers ready to go. When it’s on him to save it or blow it -with an empty pen, he’s the “true” closer.

54. Alleykat said, on October 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Well Romo now feels he can handle the closer role,when at first he was reluctant to grab the lead role,a that and Bochy felt he couldnt go every game with his knee,and small frame,thus giving Casilla more chances.until he hit a major rough spot.
    When Romo’s confidence in the Closer role excelled,Boch finally caved in.Should have been even sooner.You can see it in Romo’s eyes and.demeanor,that each pitch has a purpose,and he also doesnt want to let his teammates down as well.
    He should be the Closer next year,with his filthy and pinpoint accuracy stuff!!

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Casilla was the closer from the start when Wilson went down, he wasn’t just getting chances, I have no idea what you mean by that. Casilla was THE closer, undisputed. Then he hit the “rough spot” and was demoted as the CBC took over. More and more Romo, deservedly, became the main 9th inning guy, but I wouldn’t consider next year’s job settled. He’d be the man to beat. IMO.

55. Irish Kevin said, on October 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

From a LA times article

The truth hurts. It blinds with the sight of thousands of flapping orange towels. It deafens with the blah-blah-blah about Buster and Bochy and Belt. It batters with every roundhouse kick by that thick third baseman known as Kung Fu Panda.

The truth hurts, but we must accept it, because, like the awful smell of garlic fries that fills the crowded corridors of that cutesy San Francisco ballpark, it’s not going anywhere.

The Giants have become a better franchise than the Dodgers.

“Who said that?” screamed Tom Lasorda when I gave him the news.

The numbers say it. The scores say it. History says it. October says it. Everything says it.

In the only standings that matter to many fans, in a rivalry that has lasted 129 years, the Giants have become a clear No. 1, and the Dodgers are a stunning No. 2.

“Never, never, never,” barked Maury Wills when I gave him the news.

It’s happening right now. The Giants’ appearance against the Detroit Tigers in this year’s World Series has clinched it. After lollygagging behind the Dodgers seemingly from the moment they followed them to the West Coast in 1958, the Giants have finally passed them with all the power of a Mike Piazza, er, Joe Morgan home run.

The Giants have now appeared in 19 World Series, one more than the Dodgers. If the Giants defeat the Tigers, they will have won seven world championships, one more than the Dodgers.

The Giants have appeared in four World Series — four ( — since the Dodgers’ last Fall Classic appearance in 1988. If the Giants beat the Tigers, they will have won as many world championships in three years — two — as the Dodgers have won in the last 31 years.

You want numbers? In their 2,373 meetings, the most between any two franchises, the Giants have won 24 more games.

The whole Article

56. snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Obviously, being a Giants fan, I always disliked the Dodgers. Never hated them, I don’t hate people I don’t know. But, though I could dislike Koufax and Wills as Dodgers, I could respect them as players. They played the game right, tough, and the way it should be played. Same for those ’70s fucks, Cey, Garvey etc. They really pissed me off as Dodgers, but I respected their game. I would love to have Koufax show a Giant farmhand how to throw a curve ball. How could you lose by getting taught by the best there ever was? Anyway, I thought Wills was honest about saying he didn’t like it how the Giants were succeeding, but the anecdote about him sending Bochy a congratulatory note showed class. He respects the game. Respect the game, and it will respect you. Lasorda, on the other hand, I will never respect. I know a lot of his act is for show, but why would you say about the Giants success “I don’t give them credit for anything”. That’s just no class, even if he says it for show. If HE sent Bochy a secret congratulatory note, I still have no respect for that fat cat for saying that garbage for public consumption. That kind of crap breeds Bryan Stowe incidents in the little minds of misfits calling themselves fans. Screw Lasorda. Long live the rivalry and the continued edge the Giants have in it in most departments that matter…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Lasorda could not have possibly said that. He would have interspersed an F bomb in five parts of speech between every syllable. I think I sent Magnus a CD of same.

57. snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I think the money will be an issue with Wilson. They have to give him a minimum of 80% of his prior contract year to keep him, as I understand how it works. Or, let him go. I’m thinking the Giants won’t be interested in paying him around $6 million to find out if his arm is shot…

• unca_chuck said, on October 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm

The Broncos paid $95 mlil to see if Peyton was sound, so it could happen.

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Giants watch the pennies.
        Wilson’s a cog, especially with a twice repaired wing; not near as important as a franchise changing QB…

• Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I agree, Snarkk. 2 major arm surgeries for the dude and 6 million is just too much. Non-tender him and bring him back for 2 million+incentives seems right to me. If he can get more somewhere else, see ya later. We proved that CBC CAN work and Romo would probably just be given the job until he flamed out anyway, I think…..

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Yes, I said that I thought money would drive the decision.

58. TedSpe said, on October 26, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Do any of you read the daily comics in the paper or online? If not this won’t mean anything to you but it appears the guys who write the comic ZITS are Giants fans. Check it out

59. Bozo said, on October 26, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I don’t tweet so I can’t verify this, but I just got this in an Email.

Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs

Hector Sanchez will DH tomorrow, Bochy said. Could change it, but likes another lefty bat against Anibal Sanchez.

60. Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I’m cool with Hector DHing— he DH’d a lot in the minors and he’s a *new face* for a pitcher who has killed us. It could easily be effective having him as our DH.

61. Alleykat said, on October 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm

So im hanging out at my local Bar,and their are a zillion kids with their parents getting halloween candy from all the merchant shops.I was near the front door as kids were expecting candy.I grabbed the basket of matches and airline bottles of booze to the disbelief looks of the parents.Hey it’s a Bar what do these little rug rats expect?

62. TedSpe said, on October 26, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I don’t mind band wagon fans. I actually like and appreciate them. But for some reason, I get annoyed by band wagon fans who pose as die hards. My office is full of them. Just now one of them, a guy who can’t stop talking like an idiot, said to me “Well, I’m heading home to watch the game. Have a good weekend”. I just sat here dumbfounded

• Sarge said, on October 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm

What a toolbag.

• WilcoJoe said, on October 26, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Come on aboard, I promise you you won’t hurt the horse
      We treat him well, we feed him well
      There’s lots of room for you on the bandwagon,
      The road may be rough, the weather may forget us
      But won’t we all parade around and sing our songs,
      A magic kingdom, open-armed

Greet us hello, bravo, name in lights
      Passing on the word to fellow passengers and players, passing in,
      Until you’re tired looking at all the flags
      And all the banners waving
      This is some parade, yesiree Bob
      Could we have known?
      Yesiree Bob, could we have known?
      Look at all the flags and all the banners waving
      Open up our arms, a magic kingdom, open-armed and greet us all

Come on aboard, I promise you you won’t hurt the horse
      We treat him well, we feed him well
      There’s lots of room for you on the bandwagon
      The road may be rough, the weather may forget us
      But won’t we all parade around and sing our songs and wave our flags
      A magic kingdom, greet us all hello, greet us hello, greet us hello

• Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I CONSTANTLY talk to giants *fans* in my 3-D world who say the DUMBEST shit. I can’t count the times where I just sort of nodded quietly with a *confused dude head nod* and just said something like, “well, yeah….I mean, um….” or something that had nothing to do with what i would have told them here at the blog.
      And that’s not being afraid to call someone out on something to their face, but if someone clearly knows nothing about baseball or the Giants there’s no reason to call them out on it. Very few newbies show up here at the Flap so it’s not something that ever comes up here.

63. twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Just installed Windows 8. Thus far I hate it but ‘I’ll fart around a few days before I decide. Anyone interested can check if they care for my opinion in a week or two.

• blade3colorado said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Do you have it installed on a PC or a touchscreen tablet? In effect, I am wondering if you’ll be able to utilize the “touchscreen” features.

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:52 pm

PC. Won’t be able to utilize the touch screen features. Really, want to look at it more than anything else. Still have a couple units with 7. At 40 bucks it was worth checking out.

64. Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Casilla was definitely the closer until around mid-July. He should have been an all star. Listening to Bochy talk after some of those mid July blown save games, you could hear and feel the frustration he had with Casilla (and I blogged about it at the time). After Boch went to CBC Casilla was the LAST guy they called on. Lopez, Affeldt and Romo were the 3 that he went to until finally Romo took over on August 23rd.
    Casilla dealt with that blister-thing that probably contributed to some of his July blown saves but I don’t think he got more than 1 or 2 save opp’s after July 21st
    Bochy was done with him in that role as July was ending. I think (and I agree with him) that he’s just better as an 8th inning guy.
    Romo is a fine, inexpensive choice to be the closer going into 2013. If he wears down or just starts imploding as closers tend to do, Bochy will have a stable full of relievers to turn to (as he did this year).

• twinfan1 said, on October 26, 2012 at 7:01 pm

He and Casilla will both get nice raises, both arb eligible. If they let Wilson go they’ll need both for sure.

• Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Both together won’t cost 6 mil which is what Bee Wheezy would cost if he went to arbitration. I’d non tender him if I was sabesn

65. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I miss my bleacher friends. But I have you all. Still riding the wave of emotion.

66. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I emailed author and Red Sox/Pirates fan supreme Stewart O’Nan telling him of my trip. Well done, and a must, he said. Get it while you can, he added. Then he noted that if the Giants go up 3-0 or 3-1, tix in Detroit might be available. I read this aloud with Mrs. Kokonuts standing nearby. She did not endorse that notion. Not amused. (Don’t press it, Pawlie.)

67. willedav said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Talking about Posey, Shea posts stats that say last 5 games Giants SPs have an ERA of 0.55. Let Hector get a start by all means, just not as C.
    Scutaro is quoted in a column by Kroichick where he says about HP, “Hunter’s a guy who’s never going to back down.” So, let’s get Tom Petty’s version of “Won’t Back Down” in and retire Ashdoof and Don’t stop believin.

• snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Back down from what? A sweeping slider a foot outside in the dirt?
      I WILL give him props for last night’s sac fly AB against Dotel. Nice job, although I thought the ump could have called 2 pitches a called third strike on the outside. Dotel was not amused.
      And, he did roll a single through the left side, earlier.
      I don’t understand why he doesn’t go with the outside shit to right. He tries to pull every damn thing now, and rolls the crap outta the outside pitches to the left side, if he doesn’t K…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I like the Johnny Cash version.

68. snarkk said, on October 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Gnite, Flappers…

69. Flavor said, on October 26, 2012 at 7:01 pm

i don’t remember seeing this. THis is funny as fuck

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 26, 2012 at 7:11 pm

meh, more bizarre than funny…but who am I to say? #eastcoasthumorbias

70. willedav said, on October 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Noteworthy also is how well Lincecum pitched out of the pen with Posey catching him too. Hopefully the BS is over and done with. Posey is the everyday C, for everyone. Case closed.

71. blade3colorado said, on October 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Detroit will regret not implementing the Lenny Randle “blow on the bunt” play.

72. dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 26, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Why not go with Hanchez over Huff at DH? Makes sense to me. He’s a switch hitter and at point is probably a comparable stickif not better. Plus he can run. I still think Huff will conjure some dragon magic before its all said and done but he’s strictly off the bench here on out.

73. eddacker said, on October 26, 2012 at 10:36 pm

yee haw! The playoffs have been hard on my sleep patterns. Even though it looked like it wasn’t going to happen, I hit the hay at 3pm your time and slept like a log. Just like Pawlie I needed it and it felt good. At game time tonight, start time UK will be midnight instead of 1am because it is the end of BST (British Summer Time) and we set the clocks back. thank god for small mercies.
    Bozo, is Sandy the “test storm” for all the improvements you have made with the house?
    Stay warm, my man. I never knew the OBX poked out that far compared to the mainland.

Vogel-Strong, DH, road
    we score we win
    Go Gigantes!

74. eddacker said, on October 26, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Catching up, because I can.

Romo: The thing I have liked about Romo is that his stuff, as displeasing to scouts as it may be, is working. And has been for almost two full seasons now. everyone knows his “dot free” slider is coming and yet? they cannot hit that pitch. #goromogo

Windows 8: Thanx Twin, I eagerly await your take on this. I am testing server 2012 so have no capacity to run 8 up the flagpole. I can see some future worries for the PC version as hardware manufactures adjust to the market and Win8 machines could quickly become obsolete with support dropping as manufacturers move forward. Which has nothing to do with how 8 works for the user.

AL lineups: I guess Bruce is a better manager than I am. I know he likes any flexibility and choices he can get from his bench which may be one reason to not start Arias.
    Where is Melky when we need him (DH)?
    eddacker ducks out the back dodging items being hurled his way with a spry speed seldom seen in a man his age.
    Peace!