A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Sweep??!!

Posted in Uncategorized by twinfan1 on October 29, 2012

What the heck can I say? No complaints that my call of a “heart pounding” 7 game series win didn’t happen. I think that Game 4 could not have been a better showcase for what made this team the best. Virtually everyone who was in the game contributed to the win. A microcosm of the postseason, really the whole season. If a guy wasn’t hitting, he was excelling in the field.  Melky and Buster carried us, Blanco surprised, Melky went dowm-Pagan stepped up. The Brandons did what good young prospects are supposed to do- they  got better. And we’re getting used to some deadline magic- even the litlle known Mijares helped- Pence struggled but somehow got runs home anyway. I suppose I’ve digressed from where I started, darn, forgot his name, another guy gave us a lift…oh, yeah- Marco. Journeyman, might help some, solid, nuthin’ to write home about… well, send a telegram: “Scooter” was only the best deadline acquistion since…well, since ever. Name a better one. Of course he caps it off with the series game winner…

But perhaps even more impressive was what Bochy got out of the pitching staff. Lincecum was awful early and only acceptable late, MadBum and Vogie had poor stretches, Zito was very good early and then late (  and saved his best for when things were most dire) , only Cain was consistently solid. After Casilla faltered, Bochy went to the CBC and eventually Romo to close- the pen only got better.

I’ll leave you guys to take it from here- I’ve really gotten away from whatever I wanted to convey. It was a fine season but I’ll confess to loving them all. OK, this was a *bit* better than most…

1. snarkk said, on October 30, 2012 at 12:48 am

Definitely a great, forever memorable season.
    With a cast of characters that were added and subtracted during the season to create, in the end, a well seasoned stew, a complimentary mixing of vets and young-uns. In the end, I think a better all around and more balanced squad than the 2010 Champs, which suits me. I like balance. But, of course, Librans do like that. The 2010 squad’s pitching was more stellar, but when you think of that bad 2010 August, maybe not by a heckuva lot, especially when you consider the last 7-games of this season’s playoff run. The 2010 guys were the “misfits”, the characters that led us out of the wilderness and into the bright, unfamiliar light of ultimate triumph. The 2012 guys — I’m not quite sure yet how to describe them. I need a bit of time and perspective. Perhaps — a Band of Brothers? Succeeding against all odds via camaraderie, teamwork and trust; through adversity and the loss of a few comrades along the journey…

2. eddacker said, on October 30, 2012 at 2:48 am

As great as our second championship (so far) this decade is, and I hold back no gloat, no glory, none of the B.A.S.K of being the fan of a true winner, one thing dominates my gratification:
    we did this as a team
    defence was a valued element
    victories were accomplished with a naturalness and ease; it’s just the way we roll
    done with a depth and breadth of contributors
    it is not hyperbole the 2012 SFGs are a bona fide squad
    and these all point to that one thing:
    this team did it with heart!

amazing
    woo hoo
    fuck yeah!

3. Flavor said, on October 30, 2012 at 6:15 am

Feels like the end of a long summer at my favorite summer resort in Black Butte, Oregon. All the vacationers are headed home. We’re boarded up some of the widgets at the blog preparing for a long, cold winter. I moved Anna the Real Estate Agent over to the SunDressedGoddess’ house. They will look after each other….
    This Winter is going to be different from previous off season’s. I’ll manage my BBOTD’s since that page has always quietly been my favorite here at the Flap. I might do a retro-widget if I can think of something clever. We did Retro-player of the day two years ago and Retro-Game of the day last year. That widget may have run it’s course, who knows.
    The main wing of Flavor Nation will stay open and updated as needed when a Stable Boy or two decides to write something. I’ll write when the mood strikes me. I’m fully aware that one of the most important aspects of an active blog is new content, preferably daily. So there’s a big risk of the blog dying a little bit this winter but everything has a natural course in life. It is whatever it will be……
    When spring training rolls around I’ll have a better idea of what I want the blog to look like for the 2013 season. I have greatly appreciated what The Stable Boys did in 2012 to keep this place going.
    And whether it’s bikini babes or retro remembrances or just a bunch of haiku’s that we write each other in the darkness of January, I hope you vets keep checking in on this place. It is yet another winter where we B-A-S-K in the glory and glow of the World Series trophy. This is SF Giants country–I couldn’t be any prouder to be a part of it………

4. willedav said, on October 30, 2012 at 6:58 am

For all the regular season mixing and matching, ;l/r splits match ups, Posey at 1b, et al, when it came to crunch time Bochy went with one LU primarily. Posey caught everybody, Belt was at 1b, Craw at SS, Blanco in LF. And that LU kicked everyone’s ass, with power speed great baserunning and superior defense. No Nady orHuff, Hector and Arias were mostly spectators. Judicious use of Theriot, with spectacular results.
    The pitching was outstanding across the board, and Posey caught all of them, hopefully ending that BS issue once and for all. Let him C as long as he is healthy..

5. chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 8:10 am

I suppose the thing that stands-out for me about this club, is the way they persevered. This team faced some true adversity throughout the year. There were unknowns about how our two young Brandons would perform. Pablo was out twice. You have the whole incident with Melky (and there were some real shenanigans around this incident that would have wilted many teams). As Michael mentioned, the starting staff wasn’t “gold” the way it had been in 2010, but they battled through it, and the pen did what it had to do when it had to do it. But Cain, Vogey and Zito stepped it up when they had to in the post season…they were nails!

And Sabean mixed-and-matched to accommodate these bumps in the road. He added Pence and Scoots, Kontos and Mijeres. And still, with all the adversity, the TEAM stuck together. The common theme you hear from all of these 2012 Giants is how they loved “playing for one another.” Everyone had everyone else’s six. THAT is probably what I love more about this team than anything else.

I also like how guys sucked it up when asked to play out of their comfort zone. Tim was asked to work out of the pen in the post-season, when they really needed him, and he was the “Secret Assassin.” Theriot lost his starting role to Scoots, but he was still the epitome of a team player. The Riot was willing to do whatever was required, and doing it without any grief or flack, especially in game four of the World Series when he DH’d and scored the winning run.

I liked snarkk’s analogy about the two squads (2010 and 2012). Yes, 2010 gave us the Misfits, and it was glorious, bringing Giants’ fans their first San Francisco-based World Series title. As I (and Flavor, too) mentioned, I would have died a happy man with ONE. But then this 2012 TEAM brought us the second in three years! Only two other NL clubs have done this since 1945! And with the emphasis on TEAM, I like the “Band of Brothers” moniker.

I still am kind of in a haze…but it is a beautiful haze. Basking in the glory of what this team has done for so many fans, in so many places (all you Flappers scattered across this glorious planet) is just fucking awesome beyond compare!

I am like a kid on Christmas morning waiting for tomorrow, and the chance to share this championship with hundreds of thousands of other Giants fans! You will be represented, Flappers, and there will be pictures!

6. chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 8:18 am

Damn…just re-read SanDawg’s POTD (and when I read it last night, I said…that shit is POTD material)…and got all misty again. That was awesome…great choice for POTD, BF.

7. chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 8:23 am

Flappers – I plan to make a sign for the parade, and welcome any suggestions as to the message. Thoughts?

• Flavor said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:06 am

I thought about a sign too, but I ditched the idea. It is going to be such a pain in the ass getting up there and wading through the crowd, I don’t want to have props to keep track of, too.
      I’m planning out my route right now…..

• unca_chuck said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:23 am

we score we win

8. ferrethead said, on October 30, 2012 at 8:28 am

You know, i find myself a little bit disappointed with the sweep – only because I find myself wanting more and more of this team. What a wild ride the 2012 season was! Who knows what the future holds…heck, the present is a mystery to me most of the time. For the most part, I foresee periods of basking, followed by reminiscing, and, finally, anticipation. (aka the three stages of World Champion fandom)

• Flavor said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:05 am

I hear you. All of a sudden the games just STOP. We get left hanging. Oh well, that’s why we B-A-S-K; it gives us something to do until P/C’s report…..

9. Sarge said, on October 30, 2012 at 8:47 am

Twice we escaped the cold finality of the clutches death. To emerge hardened with a tempered will forged in the furnace of battling extinction. Our steely resolve sliced through the fatty soft underbelly of the pussycats like a fine Japanese sword. That sword wielded by the no longer underrated large hatted master swordsman. And now the Halloween machine stands alone atop the summit of victory.

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:56 am

That is awesome, Sarge. It is early, but that has my initial vote for POTD!

10. twinfan1 said, on October 30, 2012 at 8:51 am

I want to comment on Arias and Theriot -how their use declined as the season wore on was one of the signs that the team was improving- this touches on Willie’s post. Arias and Theriot became just what they should be on a good team- fine utility men, When needed both served as capable fill ins and helped keep the team afloat. That they could to be returned to their proper roles as Crawford developed, Panda returned from injury ,and Scooter came aboard was one of the keys to the stretch run, IMO. This is not to diminish their contributions, they did their jobs well. It couldn’t be more perfect that Theriot, one of the “little guys” every successful team needs, started the winning rally and the scored the winning run. Here’s another image after he scores- for some reason I think this is how Calvin would look he when scored the winner. But where’s Hobbes?
    ryan

• unca_chuck said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:25 am

Hobbes is a tiger . . .

• twinfan1 said, on October 30, 2012 at 10:06 am

That’s why he can’t be found.

• Bozo said, on October 30, 2012 at 10:20 am

I thought he played for the New York Knights, oh wait, that was Hobbs.

11. unca_chuck said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:25 am

Chi if you didn’t see it the sign should read:

We Score We Win

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

I did see that, Chuck. Thanks. And after seeing Flavor’s comment, I am having second thoughts about a sign. Will play it by ear…but definitely will have some pictures to share. Perhaps BF will create a page dedicated to any pictures from the parade.

12. Alleykat said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

Really respected what Ryan Thetiot did to start that game winning rally.Not only was every Giant struggling.against Coke,striking out on nasty stuff,he.was dealing gas up there.The 2time W/S Vet Theriot’s approach was.just to shorten up and let Coke supply the power.
    And Scoots had the same approach,after a.beautiful bunt by Crawford.
    Veteran players both of them came through in clutch time.

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:55 am

And MudBug’s bunt was text book…first pitch he saw and it was placed perfectly. Set it up for Scoots and Theriot to “bring it home!” How appropriate to score the winning run with “classic small ball!”

• twinfan1 said, on October 30, 2012 at 10:09 am

I should have mentioned Crawford’s bunt- which made the winning rally even more emblematic of the construct of this team.

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 10:32 am

Wow…and all of a sudden, I’m a sobbing mess, again.

World Series Champions. Again.

Sobbing Mess, Again.

There seems to be a connection, here.

• snarkk said, on October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Good writing, that.
      Thanks for the link.
      So good, it might qualify for a thread lede here on the Flap…. 😉

• ferrethead said, on October 30, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Excuse me, my eyes appear to have sprung a leak. What a great article – thank you so much for sharing this, I wouldn’t have seen it otherwise.

13. chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 10:14 am

WTF…I am so awash in the bliss and euphoria, I failed to notice the words at the bottom of the page (right above the comment box) when you are entering a comment…

World Series Champions. Again.

I LOVE THAT!

14. chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 10:15 am

Was anyone at the airport or the ball park yesterday to greet the team?

15. Irish Kevin said, on October 30, 2012 at 11:17 am

Michael/Twin, the pitching staff is just one of the reasons why Bochy should be MOY. First he had to deal with Mota, then Wilson, then the Melky debacle. Plus deal with all the media about Tim, Bum, etc. plus all the talk about why aren’t the Giants doing anything to improve. IE the Dodgers moves. He gets Timmy to buy into the move to the bull pen. Then the coaching staff gets Bum fixed. plus Zito could have reverted to form at any time. MOY IMO

• twinfan1 said, on October 30, 2012 at 11:23 am

I completely agree, I only meant to highlight his work with the pitchers, not dismiss his other assets as a manager. I disagreed with some of his decisions but it’s always possible I was wrong 😉

• Irish Kevin said, on October 30, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Oh I know you were, when I mentioned Bochy for MOY in an earlier thread, you and Flav put in your reasons on why Bochy would or would not be concidered. Your newest mention of the pitchers just got me thinking about the other areas he had to deal with.

16. Alleykat said, on October 30, 2012 at 11:23 am

Remember Flappers…Today is Taco Tuesday.
    A Free oppo loco taco after 2pm to 6pm at any of your favorite Taco Bell.(grin)
    Added bonus Flap breaking news coverage….Angel Pagan could serve you up one today at the Taco Bell
    in Redwood City Ca.,believe it’s the one on El Camino Real near Woodside Road.
    Back to your local scheduling program now in process……..

17. Bozo said, on October 30, 2012 at 11:23 am

Hey, Happy Birthday Marco Scutaro. Party like a Champion!

18. chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 11:57 am

Small piece but with a big message on the player I oh so affectionately call “MudBug.”

• Salty said, on October 30, 2012 at 1:07 pm

When was the last time the G’s had a quality young SS going into ST? Aurilia? Not to mention a solid backup catcher. Will be awfully refreshing to not have to debate the merits of FA’s at those positions.

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Yeah, it very well may be Aurilla. And I love Crawford…not only home-grown, but truly a bay area kid. The other thing I love about him (and I’m goofy that way about silly shit like this) is that he wears not only Aurilla’s number, but 35 was also the number of one of my favorite SF shortstops, Chris Spieir.

19. snarkk said, on October 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I am going to the Parade.
    And am taking the Snarkkettes, they will join thousands of other kids with acute cases of the Orange and Black flu.
    Staying in an SF hotel tonite, I am not risking getting screwed out of going again by a BART debacle, like the last time. If any of you are coming in on BART, get the tix TODAY, and get there before the sun comes up if you’re heading in from the outlying stations. It will be a guaranteed ZOO…

• Flavor said, on October 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

really? Shit, that was my plan. I was going to hit bart from the Millbrae train stop and just take it right to civic center. No good?

• snarkk said, on October 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm

BF, I don’t know about Millbrae, but in the EBay stations, last time was an absolute mess. I’m not saying don’t do it, but you MUST get the BART tickets TODAY. There will be THOUSANDS of people with your same plan, and it will take hours in line to get tickets tomorrow, then wait on the platform or inside the station for several cycles of trains before you can even get on one. If you don’t get there at 6 or before, you’d be waiting for hours. I’ve seen it, I lived it, and we had to give up there were so many people last time. You’ve said you use CalTrain, it might be better to use that or get tickets on that today if its nearer your home, then hoof it from the CalTrain depot into downtown. I don’t know CalTrain at all, so you’re on your own with that call…

• ewisco said, on October 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm

i had three tickets but one of them didn’t have enough fare. i gave the two good ones to the boys and jumped the turnstile. we were the last ones on the train in Walnut Creek. and i mean THE LAST ONES. after that, no one could get on. lots of long faces in lafeyette, orinda etc. and this was three hours before the parade. the line for tix would have taken 1-2 hours to go through.

can’t go tomorrow. boys have finals which they can’t make up because they’re leaving friday morning to go take in a game at the horseshoe in columbus (wife went to OSU). The school is actually doing a nice job of TRYING to work with people who want to go to the parade. Plus my boss in town from Denver so . . .

enjoy. it was just flat indescribable last time.

• Chico said, on October 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I was planning on catching the bart train from Daly City to Sf — now I’m switching it to the Colma station. Way less crowded than the D City station.

Thanks for the heads up Snarkk. Need to go to Daly City anyways to pick up some lumber – I’ll stop by the station and grab my bart tickets today.

Before the sun comes up? Early bed time then.

20. zumiee said, on October 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

“playing for one another.”

Very cool and meaningful phrase. The usual phrase is “playing WITH each other on a team,” but with these guys it became playing FOR one another. Very very cool.

21. snarkk said, on October 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

BTW, I’ve heard that the Giants are planning for even BIGGER crowds this time than 2010’s Parade, because the Giants fandom has increased the last two years. This time, the parade starts at 11 a.m. at the foot of Market/Ferry Bldg., then straight up Market, hangs a right at McAllister and on into the Civic Center for the speechifying. Big screens will be at the Civic Center for your viewing enjoyment…

22. Salty said, on October 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I’m be watching from home. Unless you live in or are staying in SF, you do have to get up at the crack of dawn. I remember thinking of going last year and on the early morning news they showed Mkt street packed with people who had been there ALL freaking night. They actually brought the entire family and camped out. That’s a fanatic.

23. Alleykat said, on October 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Nice little Story Chi…
    Can’t dispute Dunston’s logic there.Mudbug is far.more superior with the glove work.
    Dunston’s Rocket throws to Mark Grace use to bruise his hand,im surereBelt feels some from Mudbug as well.
    Loved to have watched Dunston against Mudbug throws to 1st to see who was faster.
    Dunston maybe has him,but it would be close.

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I’ve seen both play, and I think Dunston had the stronger arm, but from a pure playing the position, I think Crawford is better. But Dunston was sure fun to watch.

24. ferrethead said, on October 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Last time, I stayed at my friend’s house in SF, and we went together. This year, I think I’ll take a pass. She can’t go, and I’m not really a big crowd person – maybe next time. (Yes, I am assuming there will be a next time!)

25. Alleykat said, on October 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Love to see the parade end up at AT&T,open up the park and have all the players and coaches come out in Halloween outfits.That would be hilarious!!!

26. snarkk said, on October 30, 2012 at 2:03 pm

You guys planning on using BART, remember that the stations closer in to SF will likely be no good. The trains will fill up already from people getting on in the outer stations at or near the end stations of the lines. I’d say if you don’t get on at the end station or the one right after that, you may be out of luck to get on one before the parade is over. The trains will be packed like a Tokyo subway train, with no “packers” to push you in…

• ewisco said, on October 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm

that’s exactly the way it was. plus, if you’re near the door which is actually a good spot because you get fresh air every now and then, you have to have someone who says “no” to people trying to force their way on.

27. Flavor said, on October 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm

so why don’t I just take Caltrain to 4th and King and take a cab over to civic center?

• Alleykat said, on October 30, 2012 at 3:16 pm

That’s what I would do BF.

• Bozo said, on October 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I’d cab it from Caltrains to Van Ness and Market and just walk the couple of blocks. That intersection will probably be moving smoother than trying to get closer to Civic Center. That is, if you want to be at the end of the parade.

• shaman138 said, on October 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I used to commute on Caltrain to the city and on a normal morning it’s a bitch to find a cab, so I suggest just walking when you get there. The fucked up thing with Caltrain is that you can’t buy one way or round trip tix unless it’s the day when you actually use them.

• blade3colorado said, on October 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Agree with Shaman and Bozo. When I got lost in SF, while visiting last month, my car moved slower than pedestrians near the downtown/Union square area and there was no parade going on . . . Van Ness isn’t too far from there and at least that moves.

28. Sarge said, on October 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Just read the piece by Carl Steward, just excellent writing. I’ll be at the parade with the Sargettes (thanks Snarkk). I live in Pinole and was going to BART in, but now I think I may ferry over from Vallejo. Anyone have any stories about how that worked out last time? I was still in the Army last time around and I missed it. It sure is tough being the only baseball fan around, let alone the only Giant’s fan. Everybody is into mma now. People are just in too much of a hurry to appreciate the intricacies of a well played baseball game. If watching two guys pummel each other to near death is your idea of a good time, by all means have at it. But where’s the art in that? I would rather see how they’re gonna get the runner in from first with one out and the 8 and 9 coming up.

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Well said, Sarge. I have a friend who has used the ferry to get to games, and he loves it. Tomorrow, with all that is going on…I am not sure. Anyone use the ferry to get into the City for the parade in 2010?

I am still debating options.

Option 1 – catch the first BART train from the Richmond station a little after 4. My bud Mike (Demp28) and his wife are staying in a hotel right off Market and 3rd. Take BART somewhere close, meet them at the hotel, and then walk down and get a place along Market. Question here is how easy it will be to get on BART back to Richmond (our car)???

Option 2 – drive into the City and park somewhere near the hotel. Blah blah blah…

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm

And if all this DE-bating over options becomes too overwhelming, I’ll have to consider MASTER-bating…

• ferrethead said, on October 30, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Option 1 is probably your best bet – but, i would plan on having a nice meal with your friends afterwards. I think i got on a J Church around 2 last time, and didn’t have much trouble – I mean I stood the whole way, but I got on one…don’t know how crazy BART going east will be, but if you’re not in too big of a rush to get home, you might not be too stressed. Just my two cents, fwiw. Mostly, just have a great time – in 10 years, you won’t remember the annoyances, just the bliss.

• chipower9 said, on October 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Thanks, Ferret. I appreciate it. I am getting kind of stressed thinking about what a cluster-fuck it is going to be, but I have to remember to be calm, patient, and go with the flow.

As you say, 10 years from now what I will remember is the pure bliss of celebrating the best fucking sports franchise in the history of humankind winning their second World Fucking Series in three years!

• Bozo said, on October 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Option 3 – take a ferry and walk up to Third (bit of a hike but doable). If you don’t want to walk up Market grab a cab at Mission and the Embarcadero to Mission and Third and walk up the one block.

• Sarge said, on October 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Good advice Ferret, I’m just going to expect to wait in long lines tell my girls to expect long lines and crowds and enjoy the bask. That would be cool if I could run into some of you, but I understand that may be very difficult considering the sheer size of the crowd.

29. eddacker said, on October 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I am remembering the bliss right now.
    Ahhhhhh

30. eddacker said, on October 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm

for those of us not in SF live feed of the parade

be the bliss

31. eddacker said, on October 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

in 152 days it will be PLAY BALL against the Cards.

Place a deposit on Giants 2013 season tickets today

32. shaman138 said, on October 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’m one of the lucky ones–I live in the city and work on Market and Montgomery. I still plan on getting up early and having a HUGE breakfast since there won’t be time to grab lunch, then it’s my usual commute downtown (I’m sure Muni is going to find a way to fuck this up as always, so I might be walking to work tomorrow). Still, I feel very fortunate that when I make my way from my office to the parade, all I have to do is go downstairs.

33. Alleykat said, on October 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm

You know it will be a hell of alot less crowded if you go to Detroit for their “Loser Parade”.

34. TedSpe said, on October 30, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Damn. I have to walk 3 WHOLE BLOCKS to get to the parade. Totally sux (Brought to you by the National Rubbing It In Foundation)

• shaman138 said, on October 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Compared to my proximity, it totally sucks.

• TedSpe said, on October 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I KNOW, huh??!!

35. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 30, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Enjoy the parade, rain or shine, Flappers. Soak in the moments. I’m there with you.

36. Irish Kevin said, on October 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Well, I hate taking away from the Giants parade and all. But what if the Yankees had been in the WS or Baltimore for that matter. With Sandy sweeping throuhg the eastern sea board the WS would have come to a crashing halt. Now I would never wish a catastrophe like this on anyone, but Baseball needs to quit thinking about their greed and money and think about how long the baseball season goes into the winter. I know, I know there is still all the other sports that go on during the winter. But the SB is not till February, and Basketball championship is what May/June. I know I am just blowing hot air, and the greed of owners and Baseball management will just keep on keeping on.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 30, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Good point. Though even in 1962 there was a long rain delay, but it wasn’t this late.

37. Sportdude said, on October 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm

WSWIN,
    Thanks for posting the Steward article! Maybe the best article about baseball, and why I love it. Maybe the best i’ve ever read…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Geeeez. It was masterful. I would never have seen it, except for the Flap. Thanks.

38. Wilcojoe said, on October 30, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I am the king of Priceline bidding…Just took a look at the rack rates for tonight…For a bid of about $100 you could probably get a 4 star room in the city….If I was anywhere near the Bay Area, I would be all over that.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I’ve gotten 3.5 star in CT recently for something like $54 on Priceline. Go for it, girls.

• twinfan1 said, on October 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Geez, that’s a great deal. Zeke charges 65 for the couch..

39. twinfan1 said, on October 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Those going to the parade-have a great time…
    Hey, if I start with Game 1 of the regular season i should be able to watch them all getting me to pitchers and catchers day with games to spare…well, maybe I’ll just watch 94. Didn’t know what a front runner I am, did ya?

40. snarkk said, on October 30, 2012 at 7:00 pm

ChiP, I sent you an email in case you want to try to meet tomorrow.
    I used Hotwire – $149 for a $279 rack rate at the Intercontinental…

41. Macdog said, on October 30, 2012 at 7:56 pm

For all you Flappers going to the parade, have a great, great time! Hopefully they’ll show enough hi-lites on MLB Network and ESPN for us baskers back east, although now that the NBA’s underway, ESPN is likely in full LeBron mode now.

42. Bozo said, on October 30, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Mac, I think MLB.com will have it but I’ve been told these sources will also (I think one of these edd posted above)

43. twinfan1 said, on October 30, 2012 at 8:19 pm

With so many going to the parade, why I don’t I just post a miminal thread and you guys post parade updates live?

44. Flavor said, on October 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I uploaded a couple of pics into the Flap photo bucket from the night we won the series for the second time in 3 years. I’m wearing a Raiders shirt and here’s the story about that: There’s a guy at my work who’s a diehard Raiders fan and for the last couple of years, every week they lose I come to work wearing that Raiders shirt. He’s 20-something and is this big, huge black dude who played D-2 college football. . He’s all business. And the look on his face when I walk into work is priceless and hilarious every single time it happens.
    So Sunday rolled around and due to bye weeks I had one of my fantasy teams totally fucked on players to play. I’m in 9th place (out of 12) in this league so as a joke I picked up Carson Palmer and the Oakland D and started both of them. Then I put on the shirt, took a pic and sent it to Tre telling him that for the first time in my life I was an Oakland Raider fan on Sunday. He texted back “enjoy the feeling”. Hey, they did pretty well for me. Anyway, forgot to take the shirt off and now there’s a pic of me capturing my bliss in the moments after we won the WS and I’m wearing a fucking Raiders shirt. It’s actually pretty funny.

DennisZ sent me a couple of pics of the bar he and Pawlie went to. I deleted the email so re-send it. I want to get the Flap Photo Bucket up and humming along. For any of you who go to the parade tomorrow, snap some photos and send them to me.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 30, 2012 at 10:46 pm

What does Raider fan do after they win the super bowl? Turn off the Xbox and go to bed.

• ferrethead said, on October 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Ouch!

45. James said, on October 30, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I miss my baseball team.

46. zumiee said, on October 30, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Gold Glove winners. (yawn) I’d take several Giants defenders over some of these guys. The Giants TEAM played Gold Glove defense in the playoffs, and the Giants players won the piece of hardware that matters the most, a World Series championship ring.
    Here’s the list, in case anyone missed it:

C Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals Matt Wieters, Baltimore Orioles
    1B Adam Laroche, Washington Nationals Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees
    2B Darwin Barney, Chicago Cubs Robinson Cano, New York Yankees
    SS Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia Phillies J.J. Hardy, Baltimore Orioles
    3B Chase Headley, San Diego Padres Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers
    LF Carlos Gonzalez, Colorado Rockies
    Alex Gordon, Kansas City Royals
    CF Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates Adam Jones, Baltimore Orioles
    RF Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves Josh Reddick, Oakland Athletics
    P Mark Buehrle, Miami Marlins Jake Peavy, Chicago White Sox; Jeremy Hellickson, Tampa Bay Rays

47. eddacker said, on October 31, 2012 at 2:49 am

Let the awards announcements begin. I thought Beltre was deserving. And a couple of the others I knew were in the running.