A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

we score we win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 29, 2012

Macdog posted a list late last night. It was simple and perfect:

1905
1921
1922
1933
1954
2010
2012

And while I appreciate all 7, only two of them are attached to the foundation of my soul. The players did the hard work and won the game and the ultimate trophy. But these championships (yes, that’s plural) have always been for the fans. For the same reason we hate Jose Oquendo and Marco Scutaro has no opinion of him, we the fans are the ones who fly these flags for eternity. And of course I’m not talking about physically flying them. But within us they fly, proudly, blown with the force of a wind that nature couldn’t duplicate. I’m so thankful for what this group of men gave me. Let’s face it, life sucks most of the time. Maybe it’s different for you guys but for me, it often just feels like a long grind….

And then there are moments like last night. And they go into a sort of a “holding cell” inside of us. We call on them whenever we want. If you ever want to feel a sense of pride or community or childlike happiness just think about this team and what they gave you last night. It’s like giving yourself a *knowing dude head nod* whenever you want. And sometimes, that’s just what we need, right?

The Flap is still open and we’ll stay open all Winter. I’ve taken the author schedule down but any of the Stable Boys are free to post a thread whenever the moment moves them. Those guys kept this place going when I was about to shut it down– they kept the Flap community together. And for that they deserve a “2-flaps up” salute. Thanks guys.

*Moments*>>>>>>Strung together they make up your life. I would have died happy with 1 but 2 will work as well. Swell with pride today Giants fans. we score we win and by *win* I mean *live*. And even though baseball has to stop right now there’s no finer way to watch it go. It’s the most perfect sunset I’ve ever seen and the best part is that it never goes down. How great is that?

1. chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 6:50 am

The feelings are mutual, Craig. I said it last night, and I will say it again…I want to thank YOU for giving us (The Stable Boys) the opportunity to be a part of THE BEST BASEBALL COMMUNITY IN THE WORLD!

And I mean that with every ounce of sincerity and all of the heart I can muster.

It was a beautiful ride, and I am so damned happy to have shared it with such a great group of guys (and gal)!

I posted a similar comment on Facebook last night “I would have died happy with ONE! TWO is EXTRA SWEET!”

Heard this morning that this year’s club is only the THIRD to win two in three years since 1945.

Not sure who is heading to the parade on Wednesday, and it is probaby unrealistic to think we could coordinate a meeting, but I will be there (with my daughter, Demp28, and his wife Celeste), Flappers. It would be awesome to run into any and all who are going. I missed the 2010 parade…it WILL NOT happen again!

2013? As snarkk would say, why not?

• Flavor said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:00 am

I have to work a couple of things out but I’m 90% sure that I’ll be there. I’m gonna go for all the flappers who can’t. Pawlie, macdog, GH, Paul in Asia, Bozo the fuckin’ clown and the group that falls into the dreaded “etc”
      I missed the one in 2010 and I’ve regretted it ever since. Not making the same mistake for this one

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:09 am

I agree. I will make a sign as a tribute to all the Flappers who will not there! Flap Nation WILL BE REPRESENTED!

Thanks again brother for making this dream even better than it would have been by giving us this wonderful vehicle that we all affectionately refer to as “The Flap!”

One Flap Down, Baby!

2. chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:18 am

What a journey. 162 games.

94-68 record. National League West Division Champions.

National League Division Series winners:
    • NLDS Game 3 – Elimination game one. Giants 2 – Reds 1
    • NLDS Game 4 – Elimination game two. Giant 8 – Reds 3
    • NLDS Game 5 – Elimination game three. Giants 6 – Reds 4.

National League Championship Series winners:
    • NLCS Game 5 – Elimination game four. Giants 5 – Cardinals 0
    • NLCS Game 6 – Elimination game five. Giants 6 – Cardinals 1
    • NLCS Game 7 – Elimination game six. Giants 9 – Cardinals 0.

World Series Champions:
    • World Series Game 1 – Giants 8 – Tigers 3
    • World Series Game 2 – Giants 2 – Tigers 0
    • World Series Game 3 – Giants 2 – Tigers 0
    • World Series Game 4 – Giants 4 – Tigers 3.

Ladies and Gentlemen – YOUR 2012 World Series Champions…SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS!

3. willedav said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:23 am

It’s great to see everyone all geared up too, including a lot of gals. Yesterday AM I spent my $20 limit at whole foods, and the gal at checkout had full on giants black shirt and a hat. I noticed a few gals coming into the shop where I work with either black or orange shirts on too, and I always give them a compliment.
    I can remember all the annoying Red Sox fans who flouted their gear after they finally won. In the famous words of Inspector Clouseau, “Not anymore.”

4. Bozo said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:38 am

Are You Fucking Kidding Me? Your World Champion San Francisco Giants, man I love writing that.

A complete team effort by not only our Giants but Flav and the Stable Boys. Thank You all.

I got a text last night from a buddy in SF, asking if I was coming in for the parade. I had to text him back that there was a good chance that I wouldn’t even be able to get out off my driveway let alone get a flight. So once again, I’ll be watching the parade from a distance. Soaking it all in, so to speak. With a flood of good feelings, a deluge of delight, I’m just going to say again – Your World Champion San Francisco Giants!!!!

Cheers, Flap Nation.

5. paulinasia said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 am

To answer your question, Craig: it’s REALLY great. A most remarkable year… and since the comparisons between this team and the 2010 team are plentiful… in many ways, this was an even more remarkable year. 2010 was remarkable because of the individual characters the team picked up at the right moments who would step up at any given time to carry the team for a bit. This year’s team is remarkable because they made this team a team. A team of character, not of characters. Not my line, read it somewhere, like it. Lots of accolades for winning 2 of the past 3 Series. Now that the season is over, in retrospect, it was 2011, the one we didn’t win, that made this year’s team, and that just shows even more the brilliance of Bochy’s managing and the pretty darned good work by Sabean and the scouts, despite some occasional hiccups, which every GM has.

Thinking about 2011, and I’m going on memory here, which is not always fool-proof, much of the 2010 team started 2011 as well, looking for a repeat, and then one by one, or sometimes in groups, were gone from injury. Starting RF, Ross, out for a few weeks in the beginning of the season. Wilson, the closer, also. Starting CF, Torres hurt periodically. LF? Was that DeRosa? Hurt and gone again? By the end of May, they also lost Sanchez at 2B and Posey, of course. Pablo broke his hand the first time and was out about 5 weeks or so. All that happened, and, with the mind-boggling exception of Posey and the almost funny repeat of Pablo’s injury which seemed to only make him better this year, none would contribute in 2012. Their departures created this year’s most remarkable team.

So we fondly remember always those 2010 characters. How could you possibly top the love that SF fans and the city felt when they won for the first time ever in San Francisco? For some people, maybe you can’t. For me, this year’s team, “team” in all caps underlined bold italic, comes pretty fucking close. Huge respect and love for this team and the manager and coaches that they could do this again, so soon, in such a different way. Just stellar baseball. Maybe only Giant fans know this. That’s enough for me.

Enjoy the parade, dudes and dudettes, I am so fucking envious of you who can be there….

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

Kick-ass post, Paul. I will have a sign at the parade for all the Flappers who may not be there physically, but will be there in spirit.

From one of the local stations…this for you out-of-state and out-of-country:

“Bay Area fans who aren’t able to attend can watch the festivities through KRON 4’s live coverage. If you’re out of state, the network’s Facebook feed is always an option if you feel you can’t miss out on the emotional high of celebrating the team’s second World Series title in the last three years.”

6. Alleykat said, on October 29, 2012 at 8:26 am

Still on a major high,and Hangover!
    Winning breeds Winning.
    GIANTS ROCK THE WORLD!
    Took on the “Supposed ” best of the east and Smoked the Tigers for the “SWEEP”
    Nobody Fucks with the Orange&Black!!!
    And to Krukow…Buster says im enjoying another one,Why Not!!!.

7. willedav said, on October 29, 2012 at 8:26 am

Another nice thing about all the basking is to read the *experts* having to eat all their words and come around to giants side. On the cbs site, Scott Miller has a great column with great quotes from the riot (who has fantastic coachspeak motivational stuff i’m gonna steal), and even the doofus J Heyman admits how wrong he was (he had D in 7) to doubt not just grit and determination but the talent of SF players, coaching staff and GM.
    I’m gonna get a kick out of reading how all these guys who wrote them off admire what Sf has done, and what they stand for as a team and an organization. Fanbase too, and those shots of civic ctr. last night were way hot.

8. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 8:40 am

just waking up. . . .was it real? feck yeah! (BTW, just saw your late late post, Magnus, and thanks for your text; it was great)

9. twinfan1 said, on October 29, 2012 at 8:59 am

As I noted last night, there won’t be a little parade as we had up here in 2010. George had been the driving force for that. George was a double amputee war veteran. It wasn’t our war experiences that brought us together as friends- it was the Giants. In fact, I couldn’t talk about the war and politics with George, we were on opposite sides on every issue, I think George flew about 4 American flags on his power chair. But we could sure talk baseball- if he were still here (he passed away this year) we’d probably be still up from last night, having watched it again, watched the endless highlights, argued about the MVP ( he’d probably make his case for Romo,Scooter, Hell-Theriot, anybody but Pablo). So he didn’t make it for this one but he was so elated with 2010, I’m happy for him now in absentia.
    I am trying to work up a special menu for dinner on parade day. I don’t know why but I didn’t do anything special for the playoff games the year.I’m thinking of Pho

10. willedav said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

I’m sure James is right about Romo’s last pitch, which by all appearances was a fastball in the middle of the plate. Most common expression used to describe Cabrera is “frozen pizza”…irony being isn’t the tigers owner still a pizza magnate?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:08 am

It wasn’t borderline, like Wilson and Ryan Howard. It was a STRIKE. Got heeeeeeeeeeeeem!

11. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:06 am

I love the end of your thread up there, Magnus, about the Sunset. (Hey, I stayed in the Sunset District! Coincidence? I think not!) You’ve become our poet, our Ferlinghetti of Flapperdom.

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:07 am

A friend in Jersey, a Yankees fan, an elderly guy, stayed up rooting for our boys. He loves Romo. Says he is like a pretzel. BTW, Len Berman wrote in his daily Top 5 that MVP stands for Most Valuable Panda.

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:11 am

Maybe I said this last night: when has DEFENSE been so critical and shined so much in a WS? OK. I’m out. 3-D stuff. And I’ve been in the magical Magic land for more than a week. Re-entry may be challenging. Have a good bask, Flappers.

• Flavor said, on October 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

“3-D stuff”– gold.

14. ferrethead said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:49 am

Pawlie, you captured my thoughts perfectly, what a beautiful and poetic post, Flav! I was in the middle of a mass of weirdness right when the final out was recorded, and away from you guys for the final, glorious moments. But, as always, you were in my heart & I was right here with you in spirit. I just can’t believe what this group of gentlemen has accomplished – and what you, the gentlemen of the Flap, have added to the experience. Thank you all so much.

We Scored We Won!!!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:09 am

this brought tears to my eyes, FH, but that’s been happening a lot and I do not apologize in the least

15. Flavor said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:59 am

I still can’t get over that slide from Theriot. I’ve watched it like 17 times. It was like a 10 year old kid in his back yard sliding on one of those long water slides that you’d lay out end to end and dump water on. He was literally sliding on his back for the last half of the slide and he ended up about 15 feet past home plate. And his celebration was so fucking moving. I’m getting all choked up just thinking about it, lol

• Flavor said, on October 29, 2012 at 10:05 am

the best view of this slide is at the 1:40 point in this clip

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 10:56 am

That is fucking awesome, Flav. Thanks!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

it is one for the ages; pisses me off knowing that if it were yanks, sox, dodgers, anybody else it’d be on every game of the week highlight for ever fuckem we are worldfeckingchampeeeens!

16. eddacker said, on October 29, 2012 at 10:27 am

My, oh, My! Highlights, memories, replays. Incredible, delightful, baseball. And my team is winning.
    Leading the pack.
    Like Manny Pacquiao moving up through weight classes, my team is top of the class among 32 teams; beating the best, beating the teams with supposedly better players, bigger stars, stronger presence.

HAH! I say, HAH!

17. unca_chuck said, on October 29, 2012 at 10:43 am

Yeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 in 3 years?!?!?!?!?!? Un be lieve a ble!!!!!

One thing I’ll say about Fox, that super ultra slo mo was pretty damn cool. Ryan’s slide was just too cool. Pence’s banana bender base hit was another.

Went to a fireinds house for the game last night, Didn’t get home til ~11:30.

What a clusterfuck of a crazy-ass season! Too many weird things to count, and WAY too many hard-fought victories to count. This cements a few guys for instant HOF credentials. Bochy and Sabean being 2 of them. Timmy buying into the whole reliever thing was pretty damn important coming into the playoffs, especially as no one really knew who was going to do what at any given moment in the starting rotation. Bummie wasn’t assured of even getting a start after his poor game 2 vs StL. Zito’s redemption. Panda’s resurgence, 2010 ghosts buried by both of those guys, Pence’s 1st WS, Scoots and Pagan’s as well. The forgotten Melky (he’ll get his ring COD I’d imagine), Sabean’s spot-on acquisitions, it goes on and on.

For all the similarities of pitching being key in the playoffs, this one just felt so damn different. Gone were the big home runs late (for the mist part). The offense fell asleep at home to start the playoffs, and the door cracked open when Scott Rollen juggled Arias’s grounder to allow the go-ahead run to score in the 10th inning. If not for that ONE play, the Giants could have been a footnote to these playoffs rather than the champions.

Defense and tons of clutch hitting got them through StL. I said at the time that the WS would be easy compared to the NLDS and NLCS. Didn’t think sweep, but holy shit. Loved that game last night mainly because they came back. Buster’s home run was just perfectly timed, like his grannie in game 7 of the NLCS.

Flav, thanks for letting us all laugh, cry, bitch, joke, fight, fumble, stumble, and rumble our way through ANOTHER MOTHERFUCKING CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder what Nightengale is writing now?

• ferrethead said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:32 pm

“The forgotten Melky (he’ll get his ring COD I’d imagine)”

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back – rofl!!!

18. chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:04 am

I tipped my cap to Craig last night and this morning. I also want to thank two other groups of people:

First, thanks to the other Stable Boys. This blog was on the brink of collapse, and a number of you stepped-up to keep the Flap Flag Flying! So, kudos to all of you, not only for writing the threads, but for the great threads you posted. The whole purpose of the thread is to get the Flappers engaged and talking, and I think all of you did that IN SPADES!

And last but not least, I want to thank all who are the regulars at The Flap. There are SO MANY knowledgeable baseball fans on this blog (PASSIONATE GIANT FANS), that it really makes following the Orange and Black that much more enjoyable.

I am one of those who eats and breathes baseball. “Off-season?” What the fuck is that? With that said, I will be posting an occasional thread, and I hope to see all of you here, as we sit around “The Hot Stove” and re-live this wonderful year, and discuss 2013!

2013? Back-to-Back…WHY NOT?

• Alleykat said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:14 am

Damm Right Chi!!
      Ditto to what you said…..Breath and Live Giants Baseball,
      like of course All The Flap!!!
      And keep this awesome team rolling!!
      Dynasty Baby!!
      Why not!!!
      Like Posey said to Krukow..Why Not!!!

19. Flavor said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:10 am

we won 105 games this year. I looked it up to see if that’s the most games we’ve ever won in a season and it was looking good until I saw the 1905 team won 105 games (and the WS). Bummer.

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:11 am

these posts are flooring me but am not emotionally STABLE right now and who gives a feck

21. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:20 am

I’m sitting in a coffee shop and slightly worried I’m gonna embarrass myself with sobbing. In 2010 I was flooded w/ tears, it surprised me, I was walking on a hill on a sunny day, feeling light and airy. Had called Magnus. Prob. more than once. Now we have Frankenstorm (Y2K) threatening. I might have to go outside it “let it rain” from my face. These posts are ambushing me.

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:44 am

Just sitting here right now, reading some of your guy’s (and gal’s) posts, and you bring up something key that happened in one of the series, or last night, and I lose it too…cannot tell you how many times this morning I have just broke down into a sobbing mess…but what a wonderful place to be emotionally. I would not trade it for the world. Basking NEVER felt SO FINE…

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:24 am

OK; STEPPED OUTSIDE; COMPOSED MYSELF; WINDS SWIRLING; BACK LATER

• Bozo said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

Stay safe Pawlie. Sandy is a slow moving one and we haven’t even got the total flood surge yet. BTW, she didn’t hit landfall here so if you’re in her path, please be very careful.

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm

So, John…you were missed? I was thinking about you last night….you be safe, too, brother!

• Bozo said, on October 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm

chi – We didn’t get hit head on, it stayed over the water and we still have flood warnings. Expecting 3-6 feet of a flood surge after sundown. If you want to see some of the local damage you can check it out here

That is if you’re done soaking in last night beautiful win. I’m not.

23. TedSpe said, on October 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I…can’t…even…focus

24. snarkk said, on October 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thinking about getting a hotel room in SF Tuesday night to avoid the transport crush early morning Wed.
    We’ll see…

25. snarkk said, on October 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm

BTW, I am now officially in BASK mode.
    I’m considering getting a new double oven, the bottom unit will be a Giants BASK oven for slow, careful cooking that brings out the tastiest flavors…

26. Flavor said, on October 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’ve skipped around the internet this morning and it does feel and appear like this team is getting proper recognition for this great accomplishment. I think it has more to do with winning 2 in the last 3 years since that isn’t lucky it’s a pattern. This one is harder for the experts to ignore or discredit.

• zumiee said, on October 29, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Here’s a Giants message for the national media writers and broadcasters, and some local ones like Damon Bruce, Tim Kawakami, and Ray Ratto.

• Bozo said, on October 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Even Buck(et head) and Mclueless started giving props last night.

Dude, I keep going back and watching the slide, maybe 15 times now. My favorite is being able to hear Theriot scream YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS.

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

THAT slide is so fucking awesome! Thanks Flav for sharing the link earlier. The other part that I like about the 1:40 minute mark, is that the video at that point has Dave Fleming making the call.

Speaking of, and I’m not sure if others have mentioned this or not, but I thought it was cool as hell that Fleming was slated for the 10th last night, and he offered it to Miller. Miller politely declined and said something to the effect “No, it’s your time, kid.”

Really, top-down (and Posey mentioned this in his post-game) this organization is committed to WINNING. The ownership group has consistently raised the payroll. Sabean almost always makes the right moves with his addition and subtration, Bochy’s staff – I think they are all awesome…especially Wotus, Rags, and Gardy in the bullpen. And our team of announcers…awesome.

I am still just on cloud fucking nine!

Wednesday is going to be OFF THE FUCKING HOOK. I will post pictures from the parade.

Whoooooooooooooooo Fucking Hoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

YOUR 2012 World Series Champion San Francisco Giants! (Nope, not tired of it yet!)

27. snarkk said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Reports saying the Rocks are going to interview Wotus for the open HC position…

• twinfan1 said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Everybody has a bench coach now but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one so actively coach during the game. He ‘s deserved a manager’s position for awhile, IMO.

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I agree with Michael. He has been deserving for a long time. I know he has interviewed in the past…last time was with the Bucs, I believe. I heard him interviewed recently, and basically he said that it would have to be an ideal situation, because of how happy he is in San Francisco.

28. Alleykat said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm

My son’s Birthday was yesterday!
    How cool is that,Win the W/S and just continue your Allnight Party Celebration,on an evening.he.will never forget!
    Plus he lives in SF as well.

• twinfan1 said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm

What happened to your friend? I saw one post and then he was gone.

• Alleykat said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Well actually Twin,the he is a she (Kerry) I met her at a local bar of mine.She was decked out in all Giants gear.I was talking to her about the #1Giants blog site One Flap Down77.
        So she decided to text a quick comment.Did’nt even know her name was Gratonight?till the next day.
        She’s a great gal& a huge Giant Fan.Hope to run into her again that was the college right now he didn’t turn the club house into a crap storm 2010 trip working and check working for the weekend in 2012

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm

That is so fucking cool, Kat! It is stories like this that just continues to make it all even that more special! All I can say is your son got one hell of a birthday present!

• Alleykat said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks Chi.
        I forgot to mention….That he’s a DJ on Live 105 radio.His name is Jason,but he goes by Menance on the Air,he has the 5am to Noon slot with his co-host Megan Holliday.Alternative Rock music.Heard him this morning,talking up tbe Giants Bigtime!
        Yes im a proud Papa!!

• ferrethead said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I listen to Menace – he’s great!

• ChiPower said, on October 29, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Wow…that is so cool. Have never listened… but I will now. Yeah…you have got to be one proud papa!

29. blade3colorado said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Something Chuck said in his 10:43am post is worth repeating, with a bit more information . . . Specifically, we were down two games to zero, advantage Cincinnati. Fast forward to game three, things didn’t start out yippy skippy boys and girls. No, we got no-hit into the sixth inning and only had one hit in the first nine innings. Oh, plus we struck out 16 times altogether.

Then the magic started . . . On an unearned run on Rolen’s error in the 10th inning. Giants win numero uno of their eventual 6 elimination games.

I hope everyone has Scott Rolen on their Christmas list this year. Unfrickingbelievable and I will process this for weeks, if not months. Wowsa! 🙂

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

it is beyond computing in real time; can’t process it

30. chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I agree Steve. That was truly the move that started it all. But once we won that game is when I really started to think they could do it, and when I started with my “One Day, One Game, Live to Play Another Day” motto. And then when we went down 3-1 to the DeadBirds, I thought again, “One Day, One Game, Live to Play Another Day” with the key, to me, being Zito’s win. Once we won that game behind Barry Fucking Zito, is when I really started to believe this team was destined to WIN IT ALL! Yeah, I am sure we will all be replaying the season and key moments for a long time to come.

• blade3colorado said, on October 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm

That win was almost 3 weeks ago. Snarkk said something about loving each of our World Series championships equally, but differently; using his children as an analogy to make his point. I would have to agree with that. The 2010 and 2012 WS championship paths were completely different and I will savor each for the rest of my life.

However, I know what will happen in a few weeks – I will still be “basking” in the glow of their accomplishment, but I will also want Spring Training to hurry up and get the fuck here. I really don’t care for football as passionately as I do about baseball. This is coming from someone that bet all the games with a bookie (my uncle mostly) and was very passionate about the 49ers and football in general. Those days are gone and may never come back. However, baseball is forever, especially the Giants. Shit, bottom line is that I need to go on a back pack trip to Europe or back to South America and time my return in March.

31. zumiee said, on October 29, 2012 at 2:17 pm

It’s amazing what a long journey a season is. I was thinking today- was that THIS season when Huff played 2nd base in that game? If somebody told me it was last season it wouldn’t totally surprise me.
    Not to get all Hot Stove-ish already, but the end of the 2012 season also marked the end of the Giants contracts with Huff, Rowand, and Franchez, of course. About $30 million freed up right there.
    Should be a very interesting off-season.
    But for now……
    BASKING IN GLORIOUS CHAMPIONSHIP EUPHORIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Chico said, on October 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I was at Safeway grocery shopping yesterday and I swore I heard “I hope the Giants lose the next two so we can win it at home”, then on the next aisle I heard basically the same thing. Then I go to Starbucks to get my wife a Latte – Being in a talkative mood I asked the girl working the register “how about them Giants”, or something like that.. Then she says “All I want is for them to win it here on Halloween” — I couldn’t believe it. I got into my car thinking to myself, these people are freaking insane! Do they realize how hard it is just to get to the World Series? You really want to take a chance and lose 2 in a row, just so they can pop the corks in San Francisco rather than Detroit? Crazy. I love bandwagon fans, the more Giants fans out there the merrier but I’m just glad that some of them didn’t get their wish.

Excellent blog post Flav and when I’m not commenting here (I rarely do), you can bet I’m reading it. World Series champs! Absolutely fantastic!

• blade3colorado said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Agree Chico. Complete idiots to say that. You only have to look at what we did in the NLDS and NLCS, to “get it.” Reminds me of when I was 9 years old and got in an argument with this other kid . . . I told him, “take your best shot.” Ha. He decked me. My uncle Frank, who was visiting our house and he got really pissed off at me. He said, “Don’t pick fights, but if someone calls you out, you kick his ass until he gives up and if you are losing, grab a brick, rock, or whatever is available to make things right.” I rarely got in fights growing up, but when I did, I was all in.

• TedSpe said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm

That idiot I mentioned on friday who said he was going home to watch the game just said the same thing this morning.
        Moron

• blade3colorado said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm

By the by, you ought to see Argo Ted. Great movie that I saw yesterday before the game.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I heard that here and there in the stands. Nice thought, folks. But win it when you can. I was frankly worried if we had to face Verlander et al. again.

33. chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Giants have about 50 mil freed-up (if you assume payroll to be the same as this year at 131 and change).

But, you also have to consider:

Affeldt, Pagan, Scutaro, and Theriot are all free agents. Melky too (and they put him on the 40 to ensure exclusive negotiation rights, and possible compensatory picks).

Arbirtration eligible guys (and the year of arbitration eligibility):

Blanco – 2
    Posey – 1
    Hensley – 3
    Romo – 2
    Casilla – 4
    Wilson – 4

So, there will be some decisions to make on how to best use that 50 mil.

But hey, it is way to early to fire up the hot stove. WTF…I still have TONS of BASKING to complete.

My daughter just texted me (she is a stylist) and she has cleared her books for Wednesday and a trip to the parade.

Another thing that I heard, think on KNBR this morning was a discussion on Posey. Four teams picked ahead of us, but none wanted to meet his signing bonus demand of 6 mi (he got 6.2). The Giant brain trust had the forsight and vision to see that he was something special.

Rookie of the Year
    Comeback Player of the Year
    Hank Aaron Award Recipient
    And surely MVP for 2012.

Yeah, I think that 6.2 mil was a damned good investment.

I liked what Hank Aaron said about Posey, too. Something to the effect he wished he would have been more aware of him earlier and he would have worked hard to keep Gerald Demp Posey III in Georgia. Four other team’s loss…our gain!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on October 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I see Affeldt, Pagan and Scutaro coming back but I doubt Theriot is back next year. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Franchez get a spring invite and maybe be the super subalong with Arias next year. If SF lost I thought maybe Cabrera had a shot at coming back but now I just don’t see how they can bring him back after winning without him and his absence being a one of many factors the club rallied around.

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I don’t know…I think it might be a mighty long shot on Franchez. And with his history, not sure I would want to go that route. If Theriot was open to coming back, I could see him coming to camp to battle for a position (starter at 2nd or utility guy).

I think they put Melky on the 40 mainly for exclusive negotiating rights, and more for the chance of compensatory picks.

34. eddacker said, on October 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I am very tired, too many sleepless nights. As my downstairs neighbor said: “you have some strange sleep patterns.” But there was nothing I would have rather been doing, win or lose, my team playing. and playing and playing. I understand the loving both championships. I tend to think of them as one. My team, this decade, two wins, one B.A.S.K.
    A bright future? Looks that way. 🙂
    I have to add Rags to the above list of coaches. If you believe the press release, he did do something to help Bumgarner regain some control. Can’t be overlooked.
    For the next 153 days we will be 2012’s WS Champs. Then, on opening day, we will be the WS Champs day 154. Defending champions looking down the long end of 162 games. At every yard we play, each game, we are that team.

If this victory doesn’t put the new ownership group in a positive frame of mind, loosen up that stick up their ass and realise how important one thing is to the success of the franchise: the players. No sport succeeds except for the players. The new ownership group have a powerful ally in BSabean, BBochy and on down to the 25th man. They owe it to the fans and themselves to make sure these Giants continue to win.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Eddddddddd, I did a literal LOL when I read “you have some strange sleep patterns.”

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Yeah, I had Rags listed above. I don’t think you can discount what he brings to the dance. Dude is awesome.

Not sure it is a new ownership group. Just a group that sorta forced Bow Tie Billy out. And, Charles Johnson (one of the main principal owners) is ranked as the richest of baseball owners.

35. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Bozo, be safe. I’m inland, live on a hill, no water. A bit worried about me mum (that’s for Eddddd), living right on Long Island Sound shoreline; not evacuated; third floor, though.

36. PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Boy, 7 or 8, at the mall, w/ spanking-new orange-billed SF hat, 3,000 miles east of SF. “You a Giants fan?” “A Yankees fan but the Giants are my second team.” “I went to the World Series!” “Cool,” as the thought bubble over his head muttered “perv.” Hey, we have to encourage our new fan base. I’m pretty sure my older brother, now deceased, switched from the Yanks right after the 1954 SWEEP. Sweep. A sweet-sounding word.

37. chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 3:39 pm

10 richest owners in MLB…

• eddacker said, on October 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm

An interesting read, 1+ billion to be 10th. I found it interesting that the rangers sold in 2010 for $380M while the dogers a year and a half later go for $2150M about 5x as much. The dogers have a bucket load of debt, even before the trade. Not like our Giants’ owner: $760M in liquid assets. And he made his money the old fashioned way: he inherited it.

• blade3colorado said, on October 30, 2012 at 7:22 am

Great read chi.

38. unca_chuck said, on October 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Funny thing is, has any other pitching coach survived 2 manager changes?

Usually the new manager brings in his own guy . . . Dusty brought him in, and both Felipe and Bochy kept him.

Is this rare?

39. unca_chuck said, on October 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Now that you mention it, Pawlie, that means in the last 3 World Series wins for the Giants their record is 12-1.

Not too shabby!

40. eddacker said, on October 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Clayton Kershaw wins the Roberto Clemente award. very prestigious, props to him. The ESPN announcer Rick Sutcliffe was a former winner.

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Congrats to Kershaw…the Dodgers STILL SUCK!

41. Irish Kevin said, on October 29, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Well, this quote Applies to baseball every year ” what a long strange trip it’s been”. I want to say sone rocker from the 60’s said that on the 25 anniversary of Woodstock, but not sure. Anyway yeah this place, the place we call the Flapp. It is entertaining, educational, and full of emotion. To be honest when the Giants lost in 2002, I truly believed I would never see the Giants win a WS. Now they have won 2. Emotions beyond what I can describe. I think it was on KNBR this morning, the Giants blue print for success is Great Pitching and then putting quality guys on the field. That does not mean paying $$$$$$ for just one or two hitters. But putting guys on the field that just want to show they belong, the Belts, the Crawfords, etc. and that is the formula that makes the Flapp great also, a group of people that want to show there support for the team they love, the World Series Champion San Francisco Giants. And all managed by Big Flav, knowing dude head nod to you BF!! WTF lets do it next year too!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm

is it not from a Grateful Dead song, dudes and dudettes?

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Yes…title of the song is “Truckin.”

42. snarkk said, on October 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Several, if not all the members of the Giants “executive committee” are billionaires. The Giants have the richest ownership in MLB. With the added loot they will generate now with another WSeries championship, together with the contracts coming off the books you guys have mentioned (Huff, Freddy, the Gamer), there should be enough money to hire some new hands, and re-hire some old ones.
    1. Pagan. He’ll command some coin. We should compete for him, we got nuttin’ in the minors that’s ready, unless you think Gary Brown can play like Pagan. I don’t think so. Only 31, I think.
    2 Scutaro. I don’t like his age (37 with Bday today, I think), but he seems to be a young 37, if that’s possible. I wouldn’t overpay, but I’d really try hard to keep him. He’s a good influence on the younger Latin guys, and a damn coach on the field. I think he really can help Pablo more and more as a batter, and maybe life skills, too.
    3. Theriot. He won’t cost more than a $1million again for a 1 year deal. Worth it for utility skills.
    4. Sign Buster for LT deal that will buy out his arb years?

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I heard today that 5 @ 10 per is being kicked around. I like Pagan a lot, but no way in hell I sign him for five years. I would prefer 2 with an option, but know that is not realistic in relation to the market. Maybe three and option gets it done.

Yes…buy out Buster’s arbitration years. Probably will not be cheap given he got 6.2 for a signing bonus, the hardware, and the way he has helped this team to two WS Championships. Back-up the fucking Brinks truck.

43. eddacker said, on October 29, 2012 at 4:53 pm

After seeing Holiday’s rolling over on his leg and seeing him miss a couple of innings at most it is easy to see Marco as a “young” 37. His body is rubber compared to Franchez’s glass. he didn’t look tired at all after Colorado and everyday for us. And he is well respected in the dugout.

44. wswin said, on October 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm

very neat….

• Bozo said, on October 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm

ws – That is very cool.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Day of the Undead Living Gigantes!

45. unca_chuck said, on October 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Great. My daughter just sent me a pic of her and a friend standing in front of a burning bus last night.

• eddacker said, on October 29, 2012 at 5:16 pm

did you see Ted or his car in the pic?
      look closely

46. zumiee said, on October 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm

There’s a real long article by Tom Verducci at the Sports Illustrated website; here’s just part of it:

But what the Series lacked in drama it gave back in historical importance for the Giants franchise. Like the 2004 World Series, which wasn’t very compelling but established the end of an 86-year wait for Boston, this one stands out for elevating San Francisco as a pre-eminent franchise in the modern era of new ballparks, revenue sharing and the expanded postseason, all of which have created a leveling of the playing field that make it more difficult for one franchise to bundle titles.

The Giants are the first National League franchise in the free agent era to win two titles in three years. They have the most energized ballpark atmosphere in baseball, the longest sellout streak this side of the one that is perpetuated in Boston, stability in the dugout and front office and a bona fide franchise player just reaching his prime in Buster Posey, who at age 25 already has two world titles, a batting title, a Rookie of the Year Award and, when this year’s awards are announced, a Most Valuable Player Award.

The coronation of the Giants not just as world champions again but also as a premier modern baseball brand is the biggest takeaway from this World Series. Here’s what else we learned from these four nights in October:

1. The Giants’ run is sustainable

Too many breaks have to go a team’s way to predict the Giants can make it three titles in four years, something unprecedented among National League franchises. Look at how San Francisco’s run was paved this year: the Scott Rolen game-deciding error in NLDS Game 3, a game that would have sent the Giants home early; Brandon Phillips making the Reds’ first out of that game at third base and Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker taking Aroldis Chapman out after 15 pitches for Jonathan Broxton; the Cardinals’ Lance Lynn throwing a ball off second base in the NLCS; Hunter Pence effectively winning the NLCS clincher by hitting one pitch three times with a broken bat; Angel Pagan starting a World Series rally by hitting a grounder off third base; Tigers coach Gene Lamont sending Prince Fielder to make the first out of an inning at home; and on and on.

But you can be assured that these Giants are not some pop-up champion, like the 2005 White Sox or 2003 Marlins. They have a culture of pitching that may be matched only by the one in Tampa Bay — the difference being that the Giants have been able to build enough offense around it to win championships. Nobody else develops pitchers and keeps them healthy like the Giants.

“We do have a way of identifying pitchers, recognizing certain arm actions and deliveries,” GM Brian Sabean said, “and then you put them in good hands with [manager] Bruce Bochy and coaches like Mark Gardner and Dave Righetti.”

Over the past three years, Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain and Madison Bumgarner, all first-round picks, never have been on the disabled list while making 280 starts and compiling a 116-96 record, including 60-47 at home, while adding a combined postseason record of 12-6 with a 2.67 ERA. The careers of Ryan Vogelsong and Barry Zito have been re-energized.

All five starters will be back next year and Lincecum is the only one the Giants don’t control through at least 2014. Bochy is so good at running a bullpen that guys like Jeremy Affeldt, Sergio Romo and Javier Lopez don’t seem subject to the usual injuries and off-year syndromes common to relievers the more they are used.

The landscape of the NL West will change significantly this winter when the Dodgers nail down the biggest regional sports television deal in all of baseball. They will spend their way into contention with, according to some baseball people, more money to throw around than the Yankees. Changes to the draft and international free agent signing rules and the industry trend of locking up young players (next up: Posey) make buying elite talent more difficult, but the Dodgers will become the Yankees of the West Coast — a team that has the kind of money to eat mistakes and not be set back by them.

Still, the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies, all of whom have had windows in this era of expanded playoffs, have spent their way into bad spots while it is the Giants who are ascendant. It may be a long time before we see another run like this again: facing elimination in the NLCS, they ran off seven straight wins in which they allowed a total of seven runs. But the heart of that run is why the Giants have a good chance to defend their title: pitching.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I loved reading that; thanks.

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Awesome Zumie. I’ll make sure to read the entire article. Latest “Sports Illustrated” with our beloved Gigantes goes on sale Wednesday. I got my “Chronicle” and “Sacramento Bee,” today.

47. eddacker said, on October 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm

OK, Posey, Pablo, Crawford, Belt. all young all stars. Batting, gold gloves, our infield is set.
    Pagan and Pence, lead-off, hit for average, decent fielding
    Cain, Madison, Voggey, TL, and one more season for Zito
    CBC, not saying that is the way we roll, but AS A GROUP, there is a lot of scoreless, 1 strike avg, innings there.
    bochy, rags and murphy
    Sabean
    that has to be a solid core for 2013 and still `14 guys to fill out the 25 man roster, a roster that will have the mantle “Champions” and fans to die for.
    not bad

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm

If Zito pitches anywhere near what he did this year, it is almost a foregone conclusion that the Giants will exercise the 7 million option for him in 2014.

48. zumiee said, on October 29, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Oh, and just for the heck of it…..
    World Series championships:
    Giants- 7
    Dodgers- 6

49. SanDawg said, on October 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm

LOVE the tidbit from Chi about Fleming offering the 10th to Miller and Miller giving it right back to him. Several of you know I think Fleming is awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to him bring it home last night.
    As soon as Theriot got on, I had a great feeling. The dude is a great baserunner and I knew if there was some way to get around and score, he would do it. It was also very cool to see how fired up he was after scoring that run. Its always nice to see the players get just as into it as I am.
    A different vibe for me this year—much less “thank you God that I got to see us win one” and much more “knowing dude nod.” Granted I’m a bit biased, but I think we have the best franchise in baseball—and it ain’t even close. When you consider 2 rings in 3 years, arguably the best stadium, we sell out every game and have sick representation at road games, top notch announcers, tradition up the ass, great looking uni’s—-the list goes on and on.
    Bask Motherfuckers, Bask!!!
    Have a great time at the parade and thanks for representing for those of us who can’t be there.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I nominate you as Cultural Minister of the Bask Separatists.

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:24 pm

That was awesome, San…that shit is POTD material IMNSHO. LOVE the list of “considerations!”

I am ONE BASKING MOFO! Wednesday, I will be basking in the awesomeness of the parade!

50. Alleykat said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Oh just cause we can say it…Barry Zito 1 RBI W/S…Ptince Fielder 0 RBI’s W/S
    That just seems extra special to me.

• zumiee said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Very cool article. Thanks!

• eddacker said, on October 30, 2012 at 1:10 am

Isn’t ‘The Times’ one of those liberal media helping Obama cover up the Benghazi affair?

sorry, nipper, no politics – I know

51. zumiee said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:39 pm

There’s just so many cool stats that came out of this Series. How about Bum’s 15 straight scoreless innings in World Series games now. And especially after we weren’t sure what we were going to get from him in this World Series. All of the Giants pitching completely rose to the occasion against the Tigers, except Kontos, I guess. So many weapons. Did we even use Lopez?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I think Javier was used once? Easy to find out. Here’s another: we never had a seven-game win streak in the regular 2012 season but did in the postseason. Talk about “save the best for last.”

52. zumiee said, on October 29, 2012 at 7:50 pm

From Al Beaton, a guy that has a Detroit Tigers blog:

This World Series loss hurts much more than when the 2006 Tigers fell in 5 games. No one expected those Tigers to advance to the playoffs, let alone the World Series. In 2012, expectations were different. As in out of control and sky high. Despite being highly flawed, this Tigers team was supposed to make it to the World Series with it’s triumvirate of superstars, then win it for their desperate to win octogenarian owner.

They accomplished the former, but failed at the latter, much in thanks to those flaws and those superstars having a very rough 4 games. 83 year old owner Mike Ilitch will have to wait another year for a shot at his white whale.

How do you find yourself swept out of a World Series? By not supporting a mostly lights out pitching staff by scoring only 6 runs in 4 games. The Tigers’ offense wasn’t record setting awful, but damn, damn close.

On the Tigers’ side of the ledger, that’s how this series will be remembered. Four games of offensive futility.

The series can be summed up in four words. The better team won.

Now I know how Yankees fans felt after the ALCS.

53. zumiee said, on October 29, 2012 at 8:00 pm

San Francisco + World Series championship parade + Halloween + Giants colors of orange and black + a million fans = A WHOLE LOT OF AWESOME ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!
    I won’t be able to make it there, but I envy those that are going. Have a great time!!!!!! And you will!!!!!!

54. Bozo said, on October 29, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Go Niners

• Flavor said, on October 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm

oh yeah. The outcomes are coming fast and furious in our favor lately, eh?

55. YogiBarrister (@Yogi47951368) said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:10 pm

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:43 pm

That is bad ass!

• eddacker said, on October 30, 2012 at 1:43 am

A Giants fan from Tracy. With talent. There is a video of when she sang the Star Spangled Banner also. Very nice.

56. unca_chuck said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Kontos gave up the home run in the WS, but he did pitch well in the NLCS and the NLDS. Plus, Pagan should have caught that!

Funny story ( and it didn’t get me any tickets, dammit) but my wife works for a corporate housing company, and she placed Jose Mijares and George Kontos into places near the ballpark. She had to finagle an extra week out of the building that Kontos was in because of the extended playoff run. She talked to him on Friday to give him the good news. She also talked to Hunter Pence when he got traded here, but he found a place on his own. She did a lot of work with Brett Alexander (travelling manager), so now her goal is to get a job with the Giants.

I can only hope. What a kick in the as that would be.

57. Sportdude said, on October 29, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Hi to all the Flappers. Craig and the stable Boys..Thanks again for giving thought to all things Giants!
    Having two titles when I was worried i would never see one. My dad had his best day in a while, and we actually talked about the game after! Sweet. Like many others life seems busier, but I still get on and connected with all you guys almost daily. Thanks again! BASKING!!!

58. Sportdude said, on October 29, 2012 at 10:03 pm

PS Yogi that song was awesome! Shit like that is why I get on here every day!!!

59. twinfan1 said, on October 29, 2012 at 11:21 pm