Who Are The Five Worst Giant’s Hitters That You Remember?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 9, 2012

So, start by stopping and reading only this first paragraph. I really want you Flap Vets to participate in this *game* and if you read my list it might color your list differently.  Just do this off what you *remember*.  I’m excluding Johnnie LeMaster  just cause he’s too obvious of a pick and in hindsight it’s clear that shitty hitting shortstops were all the rage back in the 70’s/80’s. But include him in your list if you want to. After you come up with your *Five Worst* then go check their stats on the internet and see if your memory matches the reality of their actual career numbers. Re-post it inside this thread (if you want to). Remember, your post must be all memory based, no internet searches allowed until it’s completed…………

So I have listed 6 because my first five, in order of *worst to 5th worst* were originally going to be Joe Pettini, Skip James, Rickkert Fanyete, Eli Whiteside and Shooty Babbitt. And this is where your brain starts playing tricks on you after 30+ years. Shooty Babbitt never played for the Giants, he played for the A’s. One season. 1981. He wasn’t half bad, he hit .256 in 171 plate appearances. I have no idea what possessed my brain to remember the 5th worst Giants hitter of all time as some random dude who played for the A’s in a single mlb season back in 1981. For fuck’s sake, he placed 5th in the rookie of the year vote in ’81 (Raggs won it).

Anyway, with my mind properly blown, I went about to come up with another  *Number Five* (to kick this shit off) since it would be hard for me to use a fucking A’s player as my *5th worst Giant’s hitter* of all time, lol. I ended up settling on…… Rajai Davis.

According to my memory the way my brain has it wired, here are the 5 worst Giants hitters that I can recall from 1976 till today. Starting with the 5th worst:

5) Rajai Davis. This one is a bit of an unintended bank shot, I’m still reeling a little from the fact that I busted Shooty Babbitt on my first *list*. I needed a 5th guy who actually played for the Giants and I surfed my memory banks through the “Marc Hill’s” and the “Mike Sadek’s” and just hoped to come upon someone who could satisfy the #5 spot. I settled on Rajai. He went on to have  a very nice career with the A’s and the Blue Jays after we dismissed him. He’s hit .270 and stolen 223 bases. He’s legit though a flawed player on the decline. Still, he’s made nearly 8 million dollars in his career (so far). That’s more than I’ve made in my lifetime so I shouldn’t throw stones but…….

I used to shake my head sideways at some of Davis’ at bats. He would swing and miss at balls by literally *feet*. Sometimes multiple feet. It was almost like he had a vision problem. When Sabean ditched him to the waiver wire I couldn’t have been happier. It was a big mistake, he went on to have a very serviceable, one-trick-pony career…….

Number 4: Eli Whiteside. He was always going to be #4 with Shooty right behind him. But that list had to change. Whitey seemed to get worse after he showed up in 2009. Sabes plucked him out of double A to replace a back up catcher who went down to injury. Can’t remember his name. Benjie must have been the starter……It was either Eliezar Alfonso or Steve Holm and I’m going with Eliezar.  Anyway, Eli can’t hit. He can’t even really catch. There were games in 2011 where he would literally drop the ball multiple times during an inning. Some of you will remember this. He hit a couple of bombs but missed too many pitches to count. He was slightly better than Rajai at his WORST in terms of swings-and-misses……..

Number 3: Rikkert Fanyete. He was an outfielder from the Netherlands and who could have ever thought that someone from the Netherlands could hit?  And as it turned out, he couldn’t. He had 132 official at bats over the course of 4 seasons with the Giants and just about every single at bat sucked. In 1993 he hit .133, in 1994 he hit .115, in 1995 he hit .198 and in 1996 he finally hit the holy grail of .200! and….he never got another at bat again. He will be a good *What Have They Done Since” retro guy that I’ll hit later this winter. Or maybe I just write a haiku about him?

Number 2: Skip James! No one is going to remember this dude, he signed a napkin that my dad handed him back in 1978 before a game at the Stick. Joe Altobelli, Terry Whitfield and Darrell Evans also signed it, that’s gotta be worth something, right? For some reason, my dad framed it and I carried it around in a box of stuff for a decade or two. Not sure what box it’s in but if anyone wants to see it I’ll try to go dig it out….What I remember about Skip is almost nothing outside of his autographed spot on the napkin. And as the years went by and I never forgot his name, I remembered him enough to look him up now and again to recall him as an incredibly shitty hitter. This is where the raw stats did Skip so woefully wrong.  He played sparingly for the Giants in ’77 and ’78, 43 at bats, 2 doubles, 6 hits, 6 ribbies. He even stole a base though that swipe wasn’t enough to save him from the #2 spot on my list of  *FIVE WORST GIANT’S HITTER OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!* Hey, I’ve always appreciated him taking the time to sign the napkin my dad shoved in his face before that random game in ’78. His autograph makes the napkin worth much more, at least to me……

The WORST Giant’s hitter I can ever remember was named Joe Pettini. Watch me look him up now and see that he had a fabulously productive career as an Astro. :). It was the late 70’s or early 80’s I think, and I just remember thinking this guy was the worst hitter ever. Ah, all the Giant hitters were the worst back then, right? The pitchers, too. Maybe it had to do with his name. That’s a pretty impotent name.  He was a middle infielder. Second base? I remember him as being tiny, small enough to take home and stick on my fireplace mantle as a *pocket memory* 🙂 . Can’t remember him ever getting a hit but I didn’t see too many games back then and maybe Lindsey Nelson’s call had me turning the radio off before the hit actually fell…….

Ok, now I’m going to go check his stats…….

Well, at least he ended up north of the Mendoza Line. That .511 OPS isn’t gonna impose itself upon too many skeptics. Anyway, those are my 5 worst. Who are yours?

1. twinfan1 said, on November 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I’m not trying to be a spoil sport but I just can’t think of any and I’m not going to cheat. Flavor covers some so I guess I could just say ” I agree with Craig’s” but that would not only be lazy, but it’s, you know, just not me. Agreeing and all that. So I’m staying here until at least a couple come to mind. I’ll park myself over in the corner so I won’t be in the way. OK, dozing off now… actually just trying to envision some of the teams. My first year here was ’74. There was a catcher, John Boccabela (sp?) I think I’m onto something if I concentrate on catchers. Sadek had to be terrible, I’m sure of it. Another would be Manwaring, I know he’s not one of the 5 worst, in fact he was sort of decent but he was a total pussy hitter. To say he hit like a girl is an insult to girls.
    Hmmmmm..I think I should be allowed to list Whitey because I hated him firstest and I brought Vern and Vera to the big screen. So- one more. There was a guy I used to see at the Tip Top Inn on Mission once in a while, during the strike year in ’94- Jeff Reed- he really sucked. So there ya go.
    Oh shit, I just looked them up and I was wrong. These dudes were great. They had a 1.000 BA, between them..
    The guy below, BTW, is Steve L. Kuczek, laid to eternal rest November 21, 2010 at age 85. He wasn’t a Giant and he wasn’t a terrible hitter as far I know. In fact he may have been, who knows, one of the greatest hitters of all time. In 1949 he doubled off Don Newcombe. Maybe figuring it would not get any better than that, it was his only hit in his only AB in the majors.
    steve

2. willedav said, on November 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm

David Green. I actually had this stiff on a roto team for a while. flat out terrible, one of those guys that had had a decent season or two, and then just completely fell apart. Guy Sularz and Johnny Rabb weren’t much either from those days.
    Renie Martin probably outhit all of the above.

3. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Guy Sularz Joe Pettini Rennie Stennett (more of a disappointment rather than shitty?) Dennis Littlejohn, Shinjo

4. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I see you had some of my guys, flav. I though of Manwaring as well. Pettini just had a terrible name to go along with his shittiness. Edgardo Alfonzo was a piece of shit when he was here, but he probably isn’t as bad as I think.

SAme with JR Phillips, Ort-Rod.

5. Bozo said, on November 10, 2012 at 6:29 am

Before I read the thread I’ll throw at four guys. I didn’t check their stats but this how I remember them.
    Rennie Stennett,
    BOO (LeMaster)
    David Green
    Roos Davis.

OK now I’ll go read the body of the thread.

• Bozo said, on November 10, 2012 at 6:38 am

OK with BOO disqualified I only have three but I’m seeing some others here.

Rikkert Fanyete, damn I forgot about that guy. Didn’t he play in the Olympics for Netherlands or something?

6. Flavor said, on November 10, 2012 at 7:41 am

Guy Sularz–.2187 career hitter. I don’t know why, but I found his transaction log amusing:
    June 5, 1974: Drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the 10th round of the 1974 amateur draft.
    December 3, 1979: Drafted by the Minnesota Twins from the San Francisco Giants in the 1979 rule 5 draft.
    April 1, 1980: Returned (earlier draft pick) by the Minnesota Twins to the San Francisco Giants.
    November 5, 1984: Released by the San Francisco Giants.

7. willedav said, on November 10, 2012 at 7:46 am

shinjo, lol. How that guy wound up on major league roster i don’t know.
    Separate category, but Ron Herbel might have been the worst hitting pitcher ever. I think this guy went 0 for a couple years.

8. willedav said, on November 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

This is pretty funny—I went and looked up Herbel’s batting stats on B/R:.
    1964= 0 for 47 with 30 Ks
    1965= 1 for 49 with 31 Ks
    1966= 1 for 38 with 24 Ks
    giants totals for 7 yrs= 5 for 182 with 109 Ks
    Ended his last 3 yrs with other teams= 1-41
    career= 6 for 206 with 125 Ks.

9. Salty said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:02 am

Mike Benjamin leaps to mind…

• twinfan1 said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:13 am

Which makes his major league record 14 hits in 3 games all the more remarkable…

• Salty said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

Yes, good recall.

• twinfan1 said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

Another way to look at it: Ron Herbel, who Willie brought up, was “on pace” for 14 hits in about 450 at bats…

10. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:13 am

My list is surely anecdotal and eccentric. Here goes: Don Taussig, Eli Whiteside, Todd Linden, Edgardo Alfonso [for one year], and Emmanuel Burriss [just to piss a few people off].

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:16 am

alternative to Burriss: Randy Elliott — now to baseball-reference dot com

• twinfan1 said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:38 am

Poor Randy, forever the poster boy for the failed “spring phenom”…from a story by Steve Kroner in 2003, fitting for “where are they now?”
        ” Elliott has owned and operated (with his wife, Joi) a day-care center in Utah, has been a teaching assistant for special-ed children, has done some part-time scouting for the Cardinals and has been a coach for several teams, including the Camarillo High School freshmen and, in 1997, the A’s Class-A club in Medford, Ore.
        Today, Elliott lives in his hometown of Camarillo (Ventura County) and gives private lessons to ballplayers. He has four children and six grandchildren.
        You don’t often hear the phrase “He can tell his grandchildren about that” regarding spring-training performances, but you couldn’t begrudge Randy Elliott if he regales his grandkids about what he did in the 1977 Cactus League”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:45 am

I loved the Randy Elliott phenom thing. Even for naive reasons. My friend Dan Valenti was fond of tossing off a famous line about another spring phenom: He should skip the formality of a career and go straight to Cooperstown. I’m confused to find it was 1977, not 1978. I thought I met McCovey and Vida Blue and others in 1978. But maybe it was 1977. Because I recall mentioning Elliott to Joe Altobelli. He returned a stony silence to me.

11. twinfan1 said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:29 am

Not a Giant, but I remember this guy from the A’s trade with the Dodgers for Uncle Miltie, The Bums got Ethier, A’s got Bradley and Antonio Miguel Perez- who proceeded to hit .102 in 98 ABs in 2006. Suffice to say he wasn’t a real big part of their division winning season…

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:40 am

Taussig: 50ab .200BA .245 OBP .505 OPS 1 HR 4 RBI
    Alfonzo not really as bad even at his worst, 2005: .277 BA w/ 368 AB .672 OPS
    Linden, 5 yrs w/ SFG: .217 BA 7 HR 28 RBI, I think, my writing is garbled and not looking it up again; .288 OBP .612 OPS
    Burriss: composite .243 BA 1 HR 42 RBIs .304 OBP .573 OPS
    Elliott: 167 AB .240 BA 7 HR 26 RBI .275 OBP .682 OPS

13. Salty said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:49 am

Steve Decker was the Eli of his time.

• Salty said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:56 am

side note: Decker has been mentioned as a future ML mgr, but now he’s in charge of G’s minor league hitting instruction.

14. Alleykat said, on November 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

Remember.Skip James well.He was called “The Albino Wonder”, the original Whitey, whiter hair then Eli.Yeah he stunk.A long list of guys who was gonna be the next Willie McCovey,along with Rich Murray.LOL
    Here’s 5 off the top of my head
    John Bocabella C
    Ken Reitz..not sure about his avg,but hit into a zillion DP with us and led the league in em for sure in a season.
    Hal Lanier SS
    Cody Ransom SS/2B
    Penis Cabell, another loser playing a “Butcher” 3rd base.
    Oh hell,have to throw in David Green.Worse freakin trade,The Ripper Jack Clark for 1 season of this POS hitter.

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 10, 2012 at 10:47 am

I see B.J. Upton and Kyle Lohse rejected their teams’ “qualifying offers,” a term I am still learning. Hey, wouldn’t Lohse be worth exploring? BTW, any one ever decide if the “Loo” posting yesterday was connected to our main man DJLoo?

• twinfan1 said, on November 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

The DLew who posted yesterday was decidely upbeat about our prospects and the minor league system. That was not our Loo, maybe it was his estranged Pollyanna brother 😉

16. snarkk said, on November 10, 2012 at 11:31 am

Mike Andrews, Mike Benjamim (yeah he DID go 7 for 7 or something one game or one dblheader and maybe that was about 80% of all the hits he ever got as a Giant), Boo (of course), Roger Metzger, Joe Strain. I will look these guys up, maybe they hit OK, I just vaguely remember everybody but Boo that they hit for crap, all infielders. I think Andrews actually wasn’t that bad, but I can’t remember without prompting much of the old teams anymore past about 2000. Andrews may have played for the A’s, but I could be imagining that. Too many guys, too many seasons…

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm

OK, the memory is worse than I thought. I had the Andrews correct, wrong brother. Rob played for the Giants, Mike for A’s. Rob hit .253 for SF over 3 years in 77-79, not horrible. But yeah, Punch and Judy bat, with a stellar .302 Slg. In the 7 years 1989-1995 and 637 ABs for SF, Benjamin hit a Mendoza like .196 with a .308 Slg. I can’t fathom how he could even hit that high an Slg, but whatever. That is truly, truly horrific hitting, especially in the days where relief pitching was not close to what it is today. Metzger hit .246 with a .305 Slg over his last 2 1/2 years in the bigs (’78-’80), spending that golden time with the Giants. Strain played only 3 years in the bigs — ’79 and ’80 with SF, hitting .260 and an Slg of .303. Those late ’70s Giants teams were just awful. I seem to remember them more than others because they sucked, and also because Lindsey Nelson came in ’79, and per Wiki, stayed 3 years, so I guess through ’81. I did not like him AT ALL, really did not like his style of calling a game. Somehow, I wrongly associate a longer period of suckage teams with his short stint here. My worst Giants announcer of all time nominee is Art Eckman (“ground hugger to second”) in ’74 – ’75. Truly terrible, with forgettable teams, too (72-90 and 80-81)…

17. snarkk said, on November 10, 2012 at 11:38 am

I’m heading for the Cal-Oregon game late this afternoon, it’s a 7:30 start. One reason is my buddy and I are going to get fired up eating at a German restaurant and pound some German brew before the game. I’m starting to hate this new Pac12 network scheduling BS, you don’t know the game time until about a week before the game, so it can start anytime between noon and 7:30. Total crap. A late fall afternoon in Memorial Stadium is the ONLY way to enjoy football there, it is beautiful, regardless of how futile the Bears play is. Main reason I’m going is to see how really good this Oregon, uh, Nike U team is. And, It MIGHT be Tedford’s last home game as Cal head coach. I doubt we’re going to see a Cal upset like the Joe Kapp swansong years ago against the ‘furd. I’m hoping Cal can make a game of it the first half, maybe hold them to just 30. I figure by end of Q3 it might be 50-14 or some such, and time to leave early into the cold Berkeley night…

18. SanDawg said, on November 10, 2012 at 11:58 am

I’m a little late to the party, but I’m gonna play anyway. All I read was the first paragraph and I haven’t looked at the posts. I would have said LeMaster, but since he is out, I’ll go with:

Darren Lewis (The King of the ground-out to 2B)
    Roger Metzger
    Marc Hill
    Mike Sadek
    Rob Andrews

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Sounds like you’re in my 70s wheelhouse, Dawg. Those were some baaaaad teams back then. To be a Giants fan then was to truly be in the wilderness. Two WS wins in 3 years now is living LARGE. Suffering through the wilderness years makes these last few all the sweeter…

19. zumiee said, on November 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

For a combination of lousy-hitting alternating players, it’s hard to beat the Whitey/Stew combo in 2011. So….that gives me two guys…..I know his numbers won’t support this, but I’m going to throw in Marvin Banard. He did have a start to a season that was something like 3 for 40 or something, and it helped kill the Giants chances that season. 2004, maybe? The Giants ended up losing the division by only a few games. He was one of “Dusty’s guys” though, and so we got to see him for a long time.
    And, yes, I’m going with Rowand. At the end of his Giants tenure, he was at a level of awfulness that was historic, plus the annoying batting stance.
    And for number five……Emmanuel Burris.

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Of all the crap I dumped on the Gamer, strangely he’s not in my top 5 worst Giants hitters of all time. Top 5 worst contracts, sure…

• Bozo said, on November 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

How could I forget Rowand? Once the ballpark was in his head he was toast! Good call Z.

20. James said, on November 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Horace Speed
    Brad Wellman
    Manny Trillo
    Ruben Rivera
    JR Phillips

The one surprise was how few ABs Horace Speed had. That name . . . Wellman is friend of a friend, so I knew how bad his numbers were. I hated Manny Trillo.

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Horace Speed. That’s reaching Deep. Nice. I also was really not a fan of Trillo. As I remember, he had a kind of slinging type throwing motion that angered me, for some strange reason…

• zumiee said, on November 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I was at a game where Trillo got in a little altercation with another Giant. Trillo was playing 2b and slightly collided with the rf on a pop-fly. Trillo and the guy said something to each other, and Trillo shoved the guy away angrily before jogging back to the infield. I don’t remember who the rf was. But it just typified the kind of lousy stuff going on with the Giants at that time.

21. Sarge said, on November 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

The only guy that really jumps out at me is Marvin Bernard. All I ever remember about his at bats is his stubby dejected looking self walking back to the dugout. I was thinking maybe Shinjo as well but he has already been covered well.

22. Alleykat said, on November 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Bet Clubhouse Original Vet Mike Murphy knows right off the bat,which players he never wanted to stitch their names on the back of their jersey.Lots.of candidates over his 50 years as he was shaking his head,saying why this guy?

23. zumiee said, on November 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Snarkk, have a good time at the game! I hope it’s a good game!

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I’m really interested to see how good the Ducks are. As a Cal fan, I’m not that interested in witnessing a beat down… 😉

24. James said, on November 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Snarkk, is the German restaurant the one on San Pablo? Bought some Ebbelwoi there once, bit have not tried the grub.

• snarkk said, on November 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Ja, here’s the link. Looks like the only downside is no tap brew, but I can’t be sure of it. Plenty of bottled Deutsches bier. My buddy has heard good things, so we’ll check it out. I’ll report back here tomorrow…

25. twinfan1 said, on November 10, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Well, had to check on the worst hitter of all time- and it was one Bill Bergen. 2,500 plate appearances is the minimum, Bill hit .170 in 3,228 at bats, second worst among qualifiers is Billly Sullivan at .213. Bill had an OBP below the Mendoza Line, .194. His WAR was minus 15..How did he last so long? He was said to be the premier defensive catcher of his day.
    Fangraphs notes in conclusion that “Bill Bergen has his place in history, though it might not be a favorable one. Yet he’s not the most famous, or infamous, baseball-playing member of his family. As William of The Captain’s Blog eloquently chronicles, Bill’s brother Marty, himself a catcher in the late 19th century, took an axe to his wife and children before slicing his own neck”…
    bill

• James said, on November 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Hacking ran in the family . . . .

• Flavor said, on November 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm

that’s rad.

26. chipower9 said, on November 10, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Great idea, Flav. Damn…I was like Michael…I had to thing really fucking hard (made my damned head hurt)…

Okay, here goes…

Agree with BF on this one – Fanyete
    Shinjo
    Manny Burriss
    Chris Brown
    JR Phillips (at least from a K standpoint)

27. Sarge said, on November 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Looked up Bernard ‘s numbers and it says he was a career. 281 hitter. Although that number is a bit misleading since his first year was a .384 but it was only in 13 ABs. So adjusting for that he still hit. 261 for his career. Respectable, guess he didn’t suck as bad as I thought

• twinfan1 said, on November 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Sarge, don’t want to nitpick, but something about those numbers didn’t look right. For one thing, there’s no way his BA would be 20 points lower after adjusting for for just 13 AB. The correct numbers: Marvin actually hit .271 for his career, not .281. Adjusting for the .384 first year only drops his career average one point, to .270. I’m not trying to make trouble, I’m sorry.

• sfsarge said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Ok, sure maybe I didn’t do it right. Math is definitely not my forte. I don’t do numbers well at all and when you guys start talking statistics it sounds like Charlie Brown’s teachers to me. What I did was average his BA’s for all of the other years. But, I probably did it wrong. This is why I don’t comment very often, because my numerical analysis skills and ability to correlate them to what I’m seeing on the field is terrible.

• twinfan1 said, on November 11, 2012 at 8:30 am

It’s not a BFD,

28. chipower9 said, on November 10, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Okay…dinner is outta the way….checked on the stats for my five:

Fanyete – .174, .264, .242, .506

Shinjo – .245, .299, .370, .668 (I was surprised his BA was that high)

Manny Burriss – .243, .304, .269, .573

Chris Brown – .269, .333, .392, .725

JR Phillips. – .188, .247, .367, .614

Well, I knew Fanyete sucked, and was actually surprised that Phillips was as bad as he was.

And I definitely thought Chris Brown was worse than his numbers. Must be confused with his overall inability to stay healthy…fucking guy would come out of a game with a hang nail.

• twinfan1 said, on November 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Chris, most know, met a tragic fate. From Wiki:
      “Chris Brown lived in Houston, Texas with his wife Lisa and their two children, Paris Brown and Gordon Pickett, after retirement. In 2004, Brown worked in Iraq driving an 18-wheel truck delivering diesel fuel for Halliburton. He took fire on numerous occasions, including in a convoy that was attacked on April 9, 2004, in which six Halliburton drivers and one soldier were killed and another driver kidnapped and later released. By 2006, Brown had returned to the United States.
      Brown died at Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston on December 26, 2006, nearly a month after he suffered burns in a fire on November 30 at a vacant house he owned in Sugar Land, Texas. He was 45 years of age. Police have never determined if his death was a homicide, suicide, or an accident.”

• willedav said, on November 10, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Chi, no way Shinjo hit that high for us—I don’t think he was above mendoza (check later) and struck out a ton.. Just never got into that hair color either.

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Saw “Skyfall.” Found it very entetaining, with all the Hollywood flamboyance and flames. I did like it. Totally different, I really enjoyed the taut and tense “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy” last year with Gary Oldman.

30. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 10, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I know this a couple threads late but I finally picked up some Giants gear this weekend. There must still be a victory hangover because there were slim pickings at the store. I went for a black sweatshirt with some orange piping. I really like the way the Giants have incorporated more orange the last couple of years. I must still be on a World Series high because I also threw down some duckets for 2013 season tickets. Life is good.

• chipower9 said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I agree on incorporating the orange. Great news on the season tix. Do you know where your seats will be?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 11, 2012 at 9:18 am

Upper deck behind home plate is what we’re aiming for. They have the drawing in January and then we find out. Two seats spilt eight ways is actually pretty reasonable.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 11, 2012 at 6:12 pm

and, heck, games that you cannot attend, you offer to Flappers, perfecto

31. twinfan1 said, on November 10, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Heyman claims the Giants are negotiating with Affeldt on a 3 year deal worth 15-20 million.

• chipower9 said, on November 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I think a 3 year deal is the only way he is back….and as I have said numerous times…I will be very surprised if heh isn’t back.

32. Macdog said, on November 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm

This one required a venture into the deep, dark recesses of the mind, so here goes.

Chris Arnold — a memory of card-collecting in ’72, I seem to remember him as this cherubic-looking player on one of those multi-player rookie cards.

Marc Hill — needed a catcher, and Eli was too easy.

David Green — had to take someone from the only 100-loss team in SF history.

Greg Litton & Todd Linden — two names that sound sorta the same. The memory may be off here, but perhaps Eli patterned his swing after Linden, who may or may not have been named after a town in New Jersey.

33. shaman138 said, on November 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned John “swing and a miss” Bowker. His 74 strike outs in ’08, his meager numbers in ’09, the man who would take fastballs right down Broadway and swing at balls in the dirt. I’ll never forget his “contributions”

• twinfan1 said, on November 11, 2012 at 8:39 am

On the other hand, like a lot of the guys we’ve all listed, he’s no where close to be being of the five worst SF hitters, not even 100 worsts.

34. zumiee said, on November 11, 2012 at 1:42 am

The Dodgers flashing some cash….

“The Dodgers were the winning bidder for Korean left-handed pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu, Major League Baseball announced on Saturday.

The Dodgers’ bid, reportedly for about $25.7 million, was accepted by Ryu’s team, the Hanwha Eagles. The Dodgers have an exclusive 30-day window to negotiate a contract with the pitcher and his agent, Scott Boras. If no deal is reached, Ryu would return to the Eagles and could not participate in another posting process until next year.

“We are thrilled to have this exciting opportunity,” said Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti. “We have watched Ryu pitch for a long time, and he is another option to consider as we look to improve our team in 2013 and beyond. We’d like to thank the Hanwha Eagles and we look forward to meeting Ryu and beginning the negotiation process very soon.”

Presumably, Ryu would satisfy Colletti’s expressed desire to add a front-line pitcher to a starting rotation that already includes Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Josh Beckett, Aaron Harang, Chris Capuano and Ted Lilly.

The signing of Ryu would allow a trade — most likely of Harang or Capuano — once the team is satisfied that Lilly had recovered from shoulder surgery or Billingsley had avoided Tommy John elbow surgery after suffering a partially torn ligament.

Ryu, a seven-year veteran, was the first player to win MVP and Rookie of the Year honors in the same season in Korea. An 18-game winner as a rookie, he averaged 15 wins per year until this past season, when the Eagles finished last and Ryu had only nine wins, along with a 2.66 ERA.

The 6-1, 215-pound Ryu is a strikeout pitcher with a fastball in the low-90s, a changeup and a slider. He helped Korea to the finals of the 2009 World Baseball Classic and the gold medal in the 2008 Olympic Games.

Ryu struck out 210 over 182 2/3 innings this past season and has a career 2.80 ERA.

The bid for Ryu, which was actually $25,737,737.33, ranks third among posting bids submitted for Asian players, behind $51.7 million for Yu Darvish and $51.1 million for Daisuke Matsuzaka.

“We believe this figure is acceptable for the rights to the top ace in South Korea,” the Eagles said on their official website, according to Agence France-Presse.

“I’ve made a step forward for a dream come true,” Ryu was quoted as saying on the site, according to AFP.

The Dodgers, after nearly a decade of de-emphasizing international players, have re-established their presence in a big way this year, most notably with the $42 million signing of Cuban outfielder Yasiel Puig.

Chan Ho Park became the first South Korean-born player in the Major Leagues when he signed with the Dodgers in 1994.”

35. unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2012 at 8:37 am

I had to look up my guy Dennis Littlejohn’s numbers. No one else seems to remember him.

78 games, 260 PAs 1 HR, 15 RBIs .203 .286 .257 .543

.197 .272 .254 .526

Ouch. Defensive catcher, sure. But really.

Weird sidebar article:

• unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2012 at 8:44 am

The article has links to all the autographed pics of the 79 team including Terry Whitfield. Most excellent.

• twinfan1 said, on November 11, 2012 at 9:49 am

“His ‘big’ year was 1979 when he appeared in 63 games after Mike Sadek went down.”
      Actually, it was even worse than that- Marc Hill was the starter originally. Even our good friend Tamargo got in some time.
      This was not exactly a studly group, was it?

36. willedav said, on November 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

Twin’s right I looked up shinjo numbers (.238 for us is correct) after my post; he also had more HRs than I remember.
    Since Bowker’s name came up, put me in mind of Eugenio, whose struggles at the plate also found their way into his fielding and baserunning. And of course, into epic numbers for LA.

• Flavor said, on November 11, 2012 at 9:23 am

I think he now holds the MLB record for most consecutive hitless at bats. 38? Don’t feel like looking it up

• willedav said, on November 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm

yeah, it was 0-37. To be fair he had a couple half way decent years here hit around .260, lit up fresno, then went 9-55. so his last combined two teams wind up 9-92. Humbling game, and this happens to a lot of speed guys that just can’t steal 1b.

• twinfan1 said, on November 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

Dodgers finished 11.5 out last year, the year Velez went 0-37. Yet he got got just one start in September. Under those circumstances, Bochy (and many other managers, IMO) would have made a better effort to get the guy a hit.

37. unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2012 at 8:52 am

From the LA Times:

Greinke is clearly the top of the free-agent pitching class but is likely to command the kind of nine-figure deal the Dodgers might be hesitant to give to a pitcher. “Pitchers break,” Chairman Mark Walter has said.

The Dodgers also figure to inquire about the quality arms available on the second tier of the market, among them Hiroki Kuroda, Kyle Lohse, Ryan Dempster and Anibal Sanchez.

_______________

“Pitchers break” Love it. Kevin Brown? Jason Schmidt?

• blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2012 at 11:24 am

Greinke’s good . . . But I would rather have Anibal.

38. blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

To all the Veterans here – Thank you for your service! 🙂

39. chipower9 said, on November 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

To all the Flappers who served, thank you for your service to our country. And a heartfelt thanks to those who in some way support our veterans. Make it a great day Flappers!

• blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2012 at 11:32 am

HUA! There ya go Chi!!!!!!

• chipower9 said, on November 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm

🙂 Great day today…went to the airport and greeted some warriors from my wing back from the desert. What a treat for those three and their families to come home on Veteran’s Day. Awesome in every way!

40. TedSpe said, on November 11, 2012 at 11:52 am

Great subject. I had SHinjo and Dave Rader. I was wrong about Rader. He was actually pretty good.
    Off topic, I don’t know if you folks listen to the NPR radio show CAR TALK. If not…do. It’s great.

Anyways, these guys that host the show have a very self deprecating sense of humor. They’re obligated to mention NPR midway in the show and always use a self deprecating joke as such:

“And even though Stephen Hawking tilts his head in a gas oven every time we say this, this is NPR”

Well, today they did a shout out to the Giants as such:

“And even though Pablo Sandoval throws his radio into the San Francisco Bay every time we say this, this is NPR”:

41. twinfan1 said, on November 11, 2012 at 11:55 am

I can’t speak for the other vets but I’m happy to have helped defend our right to say “The World Champion San Francisco Giants!”

42. snarkk said, on November 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm

James — the German place in Berkeley was good. Gaumenkitzel is the name.
    A little “finer” style of German cuisine than one would normally expect. I can recommend the Rouladen and Goulash. Smoked pork chop also good. Schönramer Gold beer (bottled) was outstanding. A little deli inside, also, if you want to take a few treats home…

43. chipower9 said, on November 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Well, I went back and checked stats on my five and I certainly had a couple of “swings and misses.” Fun exercise, though…and as I said earlier, I was very surprised that it was as difficult as it was. Goes to show that most of us spend little or no time paying attention to sucktitude.

44. DDLew said, on November 11, 2012 at 5:48 pm

What’s next,worst 5 managers? Crappiest teams? Worst pitchers? Ugliest players?

• Bozo said, on November 11, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Ugliest player it is DD. I pick Willie McGee.

• blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Hahaha . . . I was thinking the same thing Clown.

• twinfan1 said, on November 11, 2012 at 8:41 pm

The 1899 Cleveland Spiders were 20-134 and finished 84 games out.

• blade3colorado said, on November 11, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Twin, that’s a twofer then – manager and team are both All Time crappola.

45. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 11, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Thanks to the service and sacrifice of veterans here and anywhere.

46. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm

At this hour, 6 of the top 100 baseball books on Amazon are explicitly about our Giants. That might not sound like much, but our team is HOT.

47. unca_chuck said, on November 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Ahhh, ET McGee . . . ET, PHONE HOME!!! That used to get a few chuckles . . . when he was on the Cards.

48. willedav said, on November 12, 2012 at 7:42 am

Didn’t see any of Niners game, but I did hear pre-game they spoke to a guy from KMOX or some station in STL who had traveled with Rams to London. They got blasted, and he said the team was really pissed about how they played, esp Bradford. He expected SF to win and thought they were the team Rams aspired to be, but seemed to think Rams were highly motivated and not happy campers.
    Motivation of even jaded pro athletes is a funny thing. Even seemingly corny stuff like what Pence did can have tremendous affect on guys who have played the game forever. Sometimes I guess that’s all you need to get that extra push that puts you over the top, when skills and athletic abilities of competitors are relatively even.