A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Affeldt Signs for, Gulp, 3 Years/18 million

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 12, 2012

Well, it’s not my money so I guess I don’t REALLY care, but that is an unreal stupid amount of money to give a reliever who isn’t even the stone-cold 8th inning guy. Yeah, yeah, he can get righties out, too. That’s not worth 3 years/18 million.

If this is just ownership opening their bursting purse strings then by all means, spend away. But if the operating budget is still at 130 million I don’t like this move at all.

I would have MUCH rather had them put this $$$$ towards signing Bourn or Upton. And I didn’t want them to sign either one of those guys.

Shit, if Affeldt is worth 18 (based off that idiotic deal the Dodgers gave League) then why not just pick Bee Wheezy up for 6.2 and not even bat an eyelash…..

And Pagan HAS to get signed now, right? If you aren’t even gonna send him a qualifier but you’ve got no problem handing Jeremy Freaking Affeldt 18 million dollars, then you have to pay Angel whatever he wants? Right?

Here are the players *most similar* to Affeldt according to baseball-reference.com:

See any guys on that list who look like they’re worth 18 mil over 3 years? Even if you adjust it to the time they played?

This will be proven to be a bad contract in a couple of years…….

Tagged with: , ,

1. zumiee said, on November 12, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Sounds like the Giants are taking those rumblings down in L.A. very seriously. Hopefully this indicates that the Giants will make a serious effort at Pagan. But, yeah, what about leftfield, too? Maybe they’ll blow our minds and sign Hamilton. (grin) Could they possibly try 2013 with Blanco in leftfield? He brings great defense, but kind of a weak bat, overall. If Crawford and Belt keep getting better, maybe it doesn’t matter. And surely Pence will put up better numbers….maybe.

2. zumiee said, on November 12, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Bozo, great post on the last thread, sharing those memories. You took us right there in the moment. Very cool.

3. Flavor said, on November 12, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I’m ok with Blanco in LF. I think he learned a lot about what it takes to play every day. Of course, I’d prefer that we make a free agent move, especially now that I know the Giants have no prob throwing down 18 mil for a lefty reliever…
    Rennie Stennett seems SO long ago right now…..

4. Flavor said, on November 12, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Of course, knowing that we don’t have to pay Rowand any more money starting…..um…NOW! might be what’s making our tightwad ownership group loosen the purse strings a little bit…..

5. twinfan1 said, on November 12, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I have zero intention of arguing about it but I think it’s a great signing.I don’t know that I would say, as Blade has, that it was priority one, just that it was one of their priorities.

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I’m not arguing the signing, I’m happy to have JA back. I’m arguing the length and cost of the deal and wonder how it might affect their future financial decisions this winter….
      by the way, I’ve started a DJ Loo *retro* widget to the right. If any of The UnStable’s want to add to it, knock yourself out. I’m updating it till he comes back……

6. twinfan1 said, on November 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm

As to the other two- Pagan and Scutaro- Sabean claims he’s confident he can keep both- *and* tender a contract to Pence.As I’ve said many times, I pay little attention to what management *says* but I’m fine with waiting to see what happens.

7. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Yeah, that last game at the stick was pretty cool. I went on a lark, and ended up in sec 57, 2 rows from the top of the stadium. It was like watching the game from Coit tower.

8. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Well, after seeing what they just did, it looks like Pagan stays as well.

9. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Scooter? Sure.

10. unca_chuck said, on November 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Retro post of the day? Too funny

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm

DJLoo fires off about 30 a minute when he’s posting here regularly and free of the Rikers Island internet restrictions so they’re easy to find. And I think Loo is the MVP of the Flap. This is my “Tiananmen Square” moment to try to woo him back……

11. snarkk said, on November 12, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I’ll admit, I’m surprised they signed Affeldt. Maybe he was posturing in public for the LT deal. Well, he got his parting gift last deal. It’s one year too long for him, at least. This contract won’t look good in 2015, maybe even 2014. This is a direct result of the Dodger’s new ownership, aka Fort Knox West. We’ll have to get used to this type of overpayment to stay competitive with them. Pagan’s agent has to be salivating over this deal. You give a guy $18M that comes in to face 1 or 2 guys 3X a week, vs. a leadoff guy that will have 600 ABs? Gimme 5 years @ $13M is where I’d start negotiations, $1M more/year than the Gamer’s idiotic deal…

12. twinfan1 said, on November 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm

It’s the result of how it is in MLB- not just the NL West.
    Flap MVP is Pawlie, IMO. Then Bozo, Blade,Ted, Edd, Dirt, James, Snarkk, Chuck, Flavor, Zumie, a few more in no particular order. Good night all.

• Flavor said, on November 12, 2012 at 8:49 pm

um, show me a reliever, who is not a specialist, who just scored 18 million. It’s League and now Affeldt. And that’s it. And both deal were stupid as fuck.

• twinfan1 said, on November 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I said I’m not going to argue it- because of your overly aggressive responses, Craig. But it’s a little early in the free agent season to be drawing conclusions about what the market will be like. Nitey nite again.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 13, 2012 at 7:51 am

…but I will say he DOMINATES that list from baseball-reference.com, a list that to me is meaningless. It’s just numbers. hahahahahahahaha

13. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 13, 2012 at 7:50 am

Well, for dead-on pithy or humorous gems, for me it’s DJLoo too.

Affeldt? It’s not my money, so I don’t get ruffled over that stuff. Though I understand the concern is related to future scenarios. I back it for these reasons: owners wanted to make a statement that says: pitching is our core, Affeldt keeps stability, we are family, etc. It may look overpriced now — but by February it may not be. Besides, by the third year, or earlier, you could trade him if you had to or wanted to.

14. chipower9 said, on November 13, 2012 at 7:58 am

I was saying all along that Affeldt would be back (I think I said I would be “very surprised if he was not”). I suspected it would take a three year deal to seal it. It may seem like stupid money, but I trust Sabean, Tidrow, Evans, and crew to make these kinds of decisions.

And I do not think this signing tightens up the bankroll to the point that it impacts their ability to sign Pagan or Scoots, or address needs via other FAs. Pagan will be interesting. I don’t see the Giants going more than three with him, and will be surprised if they do. My concern is he gets more $$ and a longer contract than Sabes is willing to go…and again, I don’t think Affeldt’s deal sways this one way or another.

Bottom line, I am happy Affeldt is back, and it will be a while before we know whether it was a good signing, or not.

15. willedav said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:05 am

Part of this is what do you do if he walks? I don’t think Bochy or Sabes figure there is anyone close to replacing him in the system right away. Home grown relievers currently on big 6 out of the pen would be one, romo.
    Affledt is definitely an 8th inning guy if you need him, plus he can also go 2 innings and bridge you from 6th to 8th. Since this occurred so early I doubt it impacts anything else they plan to do.

16. Alleykat said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:06 am

Affeldt is one of those huge clubhouse presence guy.Solid with the media,very articulte.Giants always look for those traits in their players.Plus he still has good stuff,can give you an inning if needed,where Lopez cannot in general.
    You can never have enough good lefties coming out of the pen.Don’t feel they have much confidience in Runzler,control,injuries etc.Yeah 2yrs would have been better,but who knows,he could still be a solid investment through the whole contract,just with his leadership and his ability to get RH hitters out as well.He can still get the DP rally killers out as well.

17. chipower9 said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:08 am

Great post Clown on the 92 shenanigans. I was at that game, too. I think I have shared this before, but I was in SF with my wife (ex wife now) and her best friend/her husband were visiting. They were staying at Cathedral Hill hotel. The girls had gone up to freshen-up and I went to the bar for a cocktail. There was an “Important News Flash” and it was announced that the Giants were being sold and moved to St. Petersburg. I remember setting there at the bar and breakding down into a crying mess. I wrote a letter to the NL president and also Commisioner Fay Vincent. I have a bumper sticker stashed away somewhere that says “No Way Tampa Bay.”

And yes…1993 was magical. Magowan and crew saved the team, and then made one of the biggest all-time splashes by signing Barry Bonds. I remember watching the news the night the signing was announced, and calling my bud Demp28 telling him the news. 92-93 was one hell of a roller-coaster ride…dismal to glorious times for Giants fans. Good stuff, John…thanks for sharing.

• Bozo said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:45 am

Thanks chi. I have a friend of mine (Giants fan) who was working for an agency that had something to do with Bonds in 93. He called up another friend to let the cat out of the bag on the Bonds signing, Dusty being the manager and Bobby the hitting coach (I don’t know how he knew bout Dusty and Bobby). Made us promise not to say anything that it would be announced in a couple of days. I stayed to my word, only dropping a few hints to other friends. Finally the night before it was announced I blurted it out to a cab driver.

If the Flap had been happening back then, I probably only would have been able to hold it back for an hour, if that.

• chipower9 said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:24 am

That is so cool. Yeah, not sure I could have sat on that one. I remember vividly when I first heard (broke during the 10 o’clock news). I don’t know if you remember or not, but it was initially announced that Barry would wear ’24.’ I was like, WTF…that number is retired. It was VERY QUICKLY recanted and announced that Barry would wear his Pop’s # 25.

But great memories…last game of ’92 (not a dry eye in the fucking place), and then Opening Day in ’93. What a fucking swing of emotions.

And I was there for the final series at the Stick, too. That was soooo fucking cool when they pulled-up home plate and flew it over to the new yard. I remember standing there sobbing that this would be the last Giants game I would see in that old shit hole. But Opening Day in 2000 and the Stick was a long gone memory (from a baseball standpoint).

A number of Giant fans still hammer Magowan to date (a lot feel he was the principal in signing Zito to his contract). I will always remember (and feel indebted to him) for his willingness and ability to form the ownership group that saved our Giants.

18. Bozo said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:12 am

I seem to recall some folks being pissed off last year when we signed both Affeldt and Lopez to their contracts. I think it worked out pretty well for us. Retirement package or a solid signing? I’m not sure but I do feel pretty comfortable when he comes out of the pen.

The only thing that bothers me about Affeldt right now is his wife. Their three kids were all born when Jeremy’s teams were headed to the WS (once with the Rocks and twice with us). His wife said she didn’t want anymore kids, WHAT? Get with the program lady.

19. willedav said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:32 am

Andres in the POTD…too bad he was just never able to regain form. Which leads me to CF, leadoff and Pagan—how do you replace this guy if he is no longer around? An OF of blanco pence and brown is decidedly underwhelming to me. I disagree on Blanco as a starter. I just don’t think he can hold up offensive numbers for 500 ABs; he’s much more effective as a part time platoon guy, imo.
    One more Loo note–he didn’t care much for belt, and thought we needed a power guy at 1b. Once this past year when I was defending belt as good glove/high avg./ moderate power guy I brought up Donn Clendennon from pirates/mets. Loo found a baseball card that had clendennon and i’m pretty sure pops stargell from their old pirates days and posted it in tinyurl link. Really cool retro pic of both in their younger days.

• chipower9 said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:46 am

I agree. Blanco as a starter to me is “worst case scenario.” I like him best off the bench/as 4th OFer.

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:21 am

“An OF of blanco pence and brown is decidedly underwhelming to me. I disagree on Blanco as a starter. I just don’t think he can hold up offensive numbers for 500 ABs; he’s much more effective as a part time platoon guy, imo.”

Absolutely! No way Sabean allows that outfield to happen.

20. chipower9 said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:49 am

And I really doubt Brown is ready to be a starter out the gate (out of ST) this year.

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:22 am

Ditto (see my 11:21am).

21. twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:06 am

Similarity Scores? We are in deep deep shit. Somebody get on the line wiith Sabean! STAT! Pagan’s most similar? 1.Chris Singleton 2. Alex Ochoa 3. Felix Jose
    On the other hand, get your HOF speech ready, Brandon Belt. Most similar at same age- Tony Perez
    Obviously, some similarities might be, uh, stretches. Felix Hernandez is on Matt Cain’s list.

• Flavor said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:37 am

not really formulating an opinion based off the similarity scores, I just threw it out there for a reference…..

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:57 am

And I’m just having fun with the similarity scores, no biggie. Obviously, they’re worthless for setting value.

22. twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:22 am

If they don’t sign Chris Singleton, uh, I mean Pagan for 60 million, they’ll sign someone else.Way early to worry about what the starting OF will be, IMO. But not every player on the team has to be All-Star caliber, you know. Depending on the rest of the starting 8, Blanco or Brown could be perfectly acceptable in LF or CF. But the LU that ended the season would be absolutely 100% A-OK with me. I expect a 3-6 of Posey, Panda, Pence, Belt to totally kick ass. They could play Jaymee Sire in LF and be fine…
    I’m liking that more the more i think about it.

23. chipower9 said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:29 am

“They could play Jaymee Sire in LF and be fine…” LMAO…

I agree Michael…it is way too early to get in a panic about the OF. Pence is a given. Blanco a possibility, and Brown, too. I agree…they will find someone. The WILL NOT over pay for Pagan (I think Rowand taught them that lesson).

24. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:33 am

In that order?

I’d like to see Panda behind Posey as well, but it’s a little early to be setting lineups!

So, Pence is going to get ~$13.5 mill? Yeesh. I hope Bam Bam can get him to lay off the pitches 2′ wide of the strike zone.

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

Those 4 in whatever order Bochy chooses. I kinda had to put them in *some* order to list them.

25. Bozo said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:47 am

So I see Boof Bonser is having a pretty good Winter league. For some reason, I don’t know why but with the mention of Boof Bonser I just have to say

FREE DJLOO!!!!

26. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:54 am

Shit. Mike Remlinger (from the ‘similar pithcers’ list). The great white hope from Dartmouth.

I saw his shining moment as a Giant when he pitched a 1-0 complete game shutout back in 1991. Didn’t he go through a ton of injuries before getting called up? Maybe it was after.

27. willedav said, on November 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

Since we’re talking about someone else’s money anyway, if you look at SF’s 3-6, the highest paid out of all of them is…Pence, the guy who put up the weakest numbers (for SF anyway). A lot of bloggers here and elsewhere didn’t like Beltran and didn’t want him back, but Pence will make equal money if not more; imo beltran even at his age is a much better hitter, irregardless of what parks they play in.. Hope we get a lot more bang for all the bucks he’s going to command this year. And if middle order of LU remains the same he does a better job of protecting Posey.
    I’m not talking about bringing beltran back–I’m just saying for $13 mil per, this is the kind of numbers I’d want to see in the middle of the LU.

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 10:31 am

Beltran claims the Giants never even called him. He signed a 2 year deal with St. Louis at 13 million per year. He’s 35. Interesting that the guy they got instead, Pagan, attributes some of his success to Beltran and a training regimen he learned from him.
      As to Pence, obviously they’re banking on him playing closer to his career numbers. His career home and away splits don’t reflect a guy whose numbers are skewed by where he played.

28. twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 10:14 am

Looking at Buster’s similars, just for kicks. Overall, number 1 is Duke Kenworthy. That puts us in huge trouble for 2013. Great name, though. I’m changing Zeke’s to that.

29. willedav said, on November 13, 2012 at 10:32 am

FWIW, and apparently it’s going to be $13 mil or so, Pence’s total numbers from last year were .743 OPS with .425 slg. He hit .219 during his time with SF. Postseason totals he was 13 for 62, with 2 doubles 1 HR 4 rbis 2 BBs and 17 Ks.
    Hopefully he is still adjusting to the cooler summer weather here in SF (insert yadda yadda).

30. twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 10:53 am

Here’s our LU based on number 1 similar overall and by age.

Buster: Duke Kenworthy-Mike Piazza
    Belt: Mike Carp-Tony Perez
    Scooter: Eric McNair-Chris Gomez
    Crawdad: Ike Davis-Desi Relaford
    Panda : Andrew McCutchen-Richie Hebner
    Pence: Andre Ethier-Aubrey Huff
    Pagan: Chris Singleton-Felix Jose
    Blanco: Steve Hovley-Hugh High

31. chipower9 said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:04 am

Pence’s splits:

Home: 444 games, 1864 PA, 1702 AB, 490 H, 255 RBI, .288 .345 .478 .822 (BA, OBP, SLG, OPS)
    Away: 450 games, 1923 PA, 1771 AB, 501 H, 261 RBI, .283 .333 .471 .804

I get the .219 avg down the stretch. Flip side is the guy had 24 HRs and 104 RBIs last year. If he approaches those numbers and plays a solid RF…it’s all good.

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

Pence has very good career numbers at ATT with other teams, so I’m willing to go with .219 post-trade being an aberration and having to do with being on a new squad under pressure of a pennant race. So the one year probation period of a reg season to see that he performs up to career numbers is not that big a question IMO. He plays a good defensive RF, another coupla months at ATT and he’ll be very good, though not as good as Nate, but he’s obviously a better hitter when he’s right. $13M is a lot for a player, but when you produce over 100 RBIs, that’s the going rate…

32. blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:15 am

“I have zero intention of arguing about it but I think it’s a great signing.”

I was all in on the Affeldt signing just as Twin was, so I will reiterate what he said, “It’s a great signing.” I wont argue it either, but I will state the primary reason that you make every reasonable attempt to bring back World Series players and not the typical “bum of the month” club roster that finishes out of the playoffs.

AN UNEQUIVOCAL AND UNASSAILABLE RECORD OF SUCCESS.

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm

“AN UNEQUIVOCAL AND UNASSAILABLE RECORD OF SUCCESS”
      Obviously you don’t sign a guy to a big contract based on one good year or one good postseason, and ANY signing has risks. But I kinda like Affeldt’s performance in the post season.
      22 games 19.2 IP 9 H 6 BB 18 K 1.37 ERA 0.763 WHIP

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Exactly my feelings. He has a record of success.

33. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

What about Jason Bourgeois as a platoon with Blanco? He brings speed/SBs. Not sure about his D. Assuming SF re-signs Pagan.

34. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:21 am

I often thought last seaon that flipping Belt and Pence would work well.

Pagan
    Scutaro
    Sandoval
    Posey
    Belt
    Pence
    Blanco
    Crawford
    P

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:27 am

I wouldn’t have a problem experimenting with that lineup (spring training or if the Giants come out of the gate slow next year), just to see if it would work. Pence is a team player and would be amendable to moving down in the lineup to see if it would work.

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:35 am

I agree but maybe I’d want Pablo 4, Pence 6, putting the “guy with the eye” in between the free swingers.

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 11:41 am

Good point. No one has adequately explained Pablo’s “tale of two seasons.” Specifically, he hits 12 HRs during the season . . . and, then 6 in the playoffs. Who is he? Manny Sanguillen or Babe Ruth? 🙂

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm

As Panda’s unofficial and unpaid agent, I prefer to think he was finally recovered from 2 injuries in 2012. I do hope he gets in better shape or at least gets one of those belly wraps so we can’t tell.

35. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Yeah, Panda wen thru a lot of injuries, and it took him time to get his shit together coming back from both of them. Seeing as he doesn’t have any more hamate bones, maybe he’ll be good to go. Unless he has ’em in his feet.

36. wswin said, on November 13, 2012 at 1:55 pm

He got a 20% raise from what he made last year. They’ve won 2 WS while he’s been here. He pitches multiple innings and gets guys from both sides of the plate out. When he’s right he’s lights out. 3 years? So what.

• chipower9 said, on November 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Agree. I was all for him coming back, and as I have said multiple times over the past few weeks, would have been VERY surprised if the was not back. I have no problem with the coin or length of contract. I would have preferred a 2 year deal, but I think he would have got 3 elsewhere, and would have been gone.

37. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I don’t have a problem with Affeldt coming back, but I based my feelings on that interview during the parade, and he sure sounded like a guy who was looking for a big payday somewhere else. I’m glad he’s staying, but I sure didn’t think he’d get this good a deal from the Giants.

I think Pagan is a bigger issue than Affeldt though. What do they offer him?

• chipower9 said, on November 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm

3 years – 25-27 mil, with a team option. He made 5 last year…that is a pretty significant raise. I would hate to see the team go more than 3 years, and doubt they do. My gut is he will get better offers elsewhere.

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 3:45 pm

We should sign Pagan because he won all of America a free taco. 🙂

38. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Yeah, I think they’ll go 4 and no more. 4/$32?

39. Salty said, on November 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm

No, it’s expected he’ll get about 10m per.

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm

$10 mill??? Wow.

Marlins to get Yunel Escobar and 3 prospects from the Blue Jays for a bunch of guys in yet another salary-dump by Jeff Loria. Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes, John Buck and Emilio Bonifacio.

40. Salty said, on November 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm

A younger Victorino signed a 3 yr deal back in 2010 for 22m with numbers similar to Angel’s, then had a couple of big years (18 and 17hrs) before tailing off last year. Will be interesting to see what he gets.

41. blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Seriously, 3 years probably doesn’t get it done. I am thinking he has a good chance of 4 years or 3 years with an option year/buyout scenario. You have to ask yourself, who will be competing for his services and one team comes to mind. The Reds.

Pagan fills holes for the Reds: a better center fielder (than Drew Stubbs), a leadoff hitter and a left-handed/switch-hitter to help balance all the right-handed bats in the Cincinnati lineup. The Reds have to give Joey Votto a $7.5 million increase in 2013, but his $19 million drops back to $12 million in 2014 (before rising again). They have also cut $14 million worth of contracts from their roster (Scott Rolen and Ryan Madson).

Consequently, I think our chances of signing Pagan are much better than the Reds, if only because we have more “scratch” to work with. I think it will take $8-11 million per year to sign Pagan. Maybe more . . .

There is this totally cool site at http://baseballplayersalaries.com/players/493_Angel_Pagan that has all types of statistics on salary and performance, not only compared to other baseball players, but other sports, as well as other famous people, e.g., President Obama. You all should check it out.

Percent of team’s payroll

3.91%

Percent of team’s on-field performance

12.12%

Angel Pagan is a total stud

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Another nugget from this site . . . How long it will take the average person on unemployment to make Angel Pagan’s 2012 salary?

16,552 weeks (318 years)

42. blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hunter Pence 2012 Season

Team Percent of team’s payroll Percent of team’s on-field performance
    PHI 4.04 % 2.80 %
    SF 3.10 % 0.30 %

For Philadelphia: underperforming

For San Francisco: overpaid

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Small enough sample size to hopefully look better next year.

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I plugged in Tim Lincecum and they used the word “Bum” to describe him. LMAO.

• Salty said, on November 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Who else are they plugging into RF?

• unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Well, you’d think for $13.5 mill, they could find someone.

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 5:32 pm

No way after giving up Wheeler for nothing that they’d let Pence go after giving up Joseph. That’s why I think they’ll see it out with Hunter.

• snarkk said, on November 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Yep, they didn’t give up a good catcher prospect for a few months of .219 and a coupla really good pep talks…

43. blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Anyone else seeing that Scutaro is LIKELY to sign a 2 year $12 million deal?

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I think that’s reasonable. I know that’s what he gets now but before his explosion he was probably looking at just one year. At his age the extra year is huge.
      I keep hearing that Sabean thinks Pagan and Scooter both sign and that Pence will definitely be back. If they keep all 4 guys I’d say Sabean gets an A+.

• blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Yeah, I’m on board with all starters coming back. I was wrong about Pence when he initially came here, saying that his stance, swing, and “plan” at the plate were mediocre at best. I still believe that. However, some how, some way, he knocks in runs. Equally important – as noted in the playoffs – he is an inspirational leader to his team mates. This can’t be measured, nor disproved in statistics such as WAR, BA, OBP, OPS, etc. If he goes into a hitting slump, but is able to inspire a team mate(s) to shine, who am I to say that isn’t valuable?

44. twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Fangraph’s writer Dave Cameron says Pagan is the most underrated player in the game. You have to read down a bit before he gets to Crazy Horse

Now here’s my “Yeah, but..” how far do you go to re-sign him? I’ve said I’d give him his bucks-12 million, but no more than 3 years.

45. blade3colorado said, on November 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Good read Mike.

You throw out his 2011 WAR of 1.0 and this looks even better . . . “Over the last four years, Pagan has accumulated just over 2,100 plate appearances and produced +12.9 WAR, or an average of +3.7 WAR per 600 PA. Some other players in MLB who have averaged between +3.5 and +4.0 WAR per 600 PA over the last four years: Mark Teixeira, Jay Bruce, and Curtis Granderson. I think you might hear a little bit more about them than you do about Pagan.”

46. unca_chuck said, on November 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Oh, I’m sure they’ll sign Hunter. I’m not sure after all if Salty’s question was directed at me . . .

No talk about the ginormous salary dump from the Marlins? One year after taking on tons of salary? Loria’s a psycho.

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I believe he still can’t enter Canada without going to jail.

47. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 13, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I miss baseball. Today was steel gray. Windy. Forties. Hints of winter. Never did see Game 3 except for last half inning; before that, some on the radio. I am told we DVRed it. Must find out how to wave the wand to watch things from that vault. G’night, girls.

• Flavor said, on November 13, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Mall tits warmed by a Summer breeze seem like generations ago. The Mayan deadline approaches. AT&T Park is dark tonight….
      (not a haiku, but I’m gearing up for later) 🙂

48. Macdog said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Can’t wait to see the Giants beat the Jays in next year’s World Series.

49. JBat said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I just wanted to throw out my two bits on the Affeldt signing. I DVR’d all four games of the Series and have watched each a couple of times now, just to break down the games without the stress of watching them live. For any questions about Affeldt’s worth to the team, just watch the 8th inning of game 4 a few times. Utter domination, and as filthy a left hander as I’ve seen al year. Leadoff walk to Garcia, then a 3 pitch SO of Cabrera, otherwise known as Superman, a 4 pitch K of Fielder with one breaking ball just jelly-legged big Prince then blowing a heater by him, then coming out in the 9th and fanning Dirks for his 4th straight K before getting Peralta on a well-struck fly ball.

His breaking pitch can only be described as filthy and his fastball was just jumping on the hitters. That night at least, Jeremy was untouchable. A lefty like that is a valuable commodity coming out of the pen. Like all the guys on the staff, he’s a bulldog and I love that about our pitchers. No more Sean Estes or Atlee Hammaker head cases, just pure fire.

I think 2 years would have been a more sensible plan for the G’s, but the guy has been a valuable piece of 2 WS winning teams. I can live with the signing and be happy about it.

Watching the games again just makes one thing clear; this is a great team, regardless of what all the east coast idiots say. They’ve killed the Rangers and now they’ve killed the Tigers and, frankly, they’ve made it look easy. What a stunning turnaround for a franchise that for the longest time was identified with playoff heartbreak.

P.S. One of my favorite moments in the Series, Theriot singling in the top of the 10th in game 4, then coming around to score on Scutaro’s single. He didn’t play much in the playoffs but he’ll always be the guy that scored the Series-winning run. So much contribution from so many guys.

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:59 pm

After Sanchez got tossed in Game 6 of the NLCS in 2010, the game was ready to get totally out of hand. Affeldt gave them 2 of the quietest innings ever. The biggest two innings of the series, IMO. The man is a pro.

50. JBat said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:43 pm

If someone can tell me how to embed pictures in these threads, I can post my parade pics.

• twinfan1 said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I’ve tried to explain how to do it, but I can’t seem to be able to explain coherently. Best is to send them to Craig if he’s OK with that, and he can put them in the Flapper Photo Bucket- there’s a link to it on the right.

51. JBat said, on November 13, 2012 at 8:51 pm

What a fucking season.

52. Macdog said, on November 13, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Count me in as having no quibble whatsoever bringing back Affeldt no matter what the price. One of his biggest outs I remember this postseason was Game 5 at Cincy: 1st and 2nd in the 7th, 2 on & 2 out, Giants up 6-3 and the red-hot Ludwick up. In an 8-pitch AB, Affeldt finally got him on an easy comebacker. To follow up what JBat said, the guy’s got steel balls.