A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Back to Back? Sweeps? Hell, yeah.

Posted in Uncategorized by twinfan1 on November 19, 2012

The goal is simple now-back to back World Series sweeps- no team other than The Yankees has achieved that-ever. With the pitching staff intact for next year, Sabean needs to get Pagan and Scooter in the fold.

I know there’s disagreement on this but I think they can do this with the team that finished 2012. Remember that they hit better as team after Melky left, I don’t think his production needs to be replaced.

I’ll give you my calls for every guy I think will make the 25 out of camp.

Posey: first thought is how does he improve on 2012? Second is how they use him. We’ve yakked about first base, third, LF-at least for this year I think he almost exclusively catches- unless Belt regresses. I suspect that Hector’s upside is as a good back up, nothing more. So:

Posey .310- 22-90

Sanchez .260 5- 25

Belt: will he end up closer to the Thrill? Or Snow? Or Niekro?  I think he’ll develop more and more power- call him Will Lite with a better glove. 2013? .280 18-75.

Scooter: I’d be fine with .270 10-60. So would Bochy, I think that’s what they’ll get.

Crawford:  I honestly don’t know if 2012 is as good it gets offensively. I’ll say .250 7-40 and I think everybody would happy with that.

Panda: the days of threatening him with the raisin country are over-if he’s not in decent shape-and they’ll take decent-they’ll look to move him. The way he plays-all out-he’s a torn hammie waiting to happen. He’s my biggest question mark, he’s a 25-100 or a 12-70 and outta here. I’l go with .300-25-100. Just because I love him.

Blanco/Brown/Peguero- I think there will be a good battle in the desert-and they all make the team. Can’t rule out an acquistion here, however. But I’m only going with current players here. Kieschnick  could challenge Brown or Peguero. Tough to call numbers- I’ll just say .250, 30 SB, good defense from the group.

Pagan: 3 of his his last 4 years have been good ones- I look for him to equal 2012, .290 10-50 100 runs, 30 SB

Pence: he’s been about equal home and away in his career, and he’s too young to be done. .275-25-90

Arias- as with any utility guy-the less he plays, the better off the team is. 319 AB is way way too many. Halve that..270 4-20

Theriot-hope they keep him. Every team needs a Theriot. As with Arias, way too much use in 2012. .260 1-20

I’ll do the pitchers later today (Monday). It will all add up to 95 wins, and a shot at being the only team other than the Yanks to sweep back-to-back.

November, 2013. The flag flies again.

1. Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Well the receivers were *gushing* because they haven’t had passes thrown to them like that. And the 2 I’m specifically talking about are the one to Williams and the one to VD in the endzone. It’s not really a knock on Smith, there are very few QB’s in the league who can make those 2 throws under the same 2 circumstances.
    We should be ecstatic that we have Kap and I would support Harbaugh going with the *hotter* hand. And Alex’s recent high completion rate aside, Kappy turned in a performance by a QB that we haven’t seen around here in years……..
    If it turns out that kappy is one and done then you go back to Alex. And even Alex should have seen the writing on the wall last night. Kappy is a possible super star waiting to happen—and we won’t know one way or the other if they just send him back to the bench.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Smith and Davis have combined on some of the most dynamic pass receptions we’ve ever seen around. here. This was a great a clutch throw and catch as we’ll ever see.

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I agree on it being clutch and dynamic but all NFL QB’s can throw that ball—now, many or most might not be able to pull the trigger cause they don’t have the sack to throw it or maybe they misfire—but most if not all NFL qb’s can make that throw………

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Agree, Michael. Most interesting thing about this video? Not ONCE is there mention about Smith’s pass. They go on and on about the timing of the hit, about Davis, but not one mention of Alex. Not even when the camera zooms in one him while he rushes to the scrum in the end zone. Yes, everything about this pass/catch was great as described, but Alex put one hell of a pass in there, and didn’t get any cred.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I agree somewhat Flav. Any NFL QB can probably make that throw, but to make that throw in those circumstances (14 seconds left, 3rd down) I’m not so sure. Regardless, it was a great throw and catch in a “must do or go home situation.”

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm

“but all NFL QB’s can throw that ball—” well, that’s your opinion. If one watches the play closely, there are factors that say hardly any could do it. One-he throws it just clearing a defenders hand.Two, if it isn’t absolutely perfect it’s intercepted or broken up at the goal line. Three, besides being precise, it had to be a laser.
        There are definitely are throws Kappy can make than Alex can’t.And vice versa. Actually, I’m concerned enough about Smith’s health that I would be interested in seeing Kappy against NO this week.Say what you will about their defense- they’re hot, they hate us, it’s LOUD, and they’ll blitz blitz blitz.Kappy handled it well last niight but we’ll see how he’d do against an all out package.

• unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm

The better throw was the one to set up the previous TD. The long pass down the sideline to VD. . .

2. chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I am sure that everyone saw/heard that Tedford got the ax this morning. I think it is a good move ONLY if the university is committed to going out and landing a “top flight” coach (I am talking along the lines of Stoops, Sabean, etc.). Sure, coaches like those do not grow on trees, but I truly feel that is what is required if Cal is going to take it to the next level, and vie for a championship.

• snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Likely not going to happen Chi.
      Cal is not seen as a plum HC job, for a variety of reasons. I’d be shocked if Cal signs somebody really high on the radar screen (Chris Peterson?). I’m up for an up and coming Coordinator at a big program, preferably an OC with an up tempo, pass oriented ethic. And, bring along or get a tough DC that focuses on good schemes, and disciplined play, particularly by the D backfield. Tedford’s downfall the past 4 years or so has many reasons, but a big one is lack of disciplined players. And, a way too cumbersome, complicated offense. They sorely need upgrades on the D and O lines, both. That is a key recruiting target area. They have a very good prospect red-shirt QB Zach Kline (San Ramon Valley HS) ready to go next year, hope his hype = production. Hope he stays once the new HC is named, this kid staying is a key to getting an HC and vice versa…

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Sadly, you are probably right, snarkk. But if the AD came out and point-blank said, we are in the hunt for a top rank coach, that would be the first (and required) step to making it happen.

Not sure how much the discipline factor is attributed to Tedford. At the end of the day, I suppose the head coach is responsible in some fashion for it all. I do agree with your comment about the offense needing to be simpified.

Will be interesting to see the way it all goes. Tedford was good for Cal. I think he won in 9 of his 11 years, and if not “the most successful” he is right up there. But I do think it was time for a change. I wish him luck, everything I have seen and heard leads me to believe he was a class guy.

3. Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I also think the Crabtree td is a throw that Smith wouldn’t have made. First option was on the right side of the field as was clearly evident with Kappy looking over there. Alex might have looked over, not seen anything (just as Kappy didn’t see anything) and then dumped the ball off or thrown it away after that. But Kappy started buying time (and the footwork was very Montana-esque in my opinion) anmd then he found Crabs and delivered a perfect throw……..

• snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Yep, agree on that play. Alex likely doesn’t make that play. Kaeppy rolled left and passed on the run going left, and hit Crabby in stride. That is not an easy throw for a RH quarterback, going left, that is. Kaeppy’s ability to hit guys in stride yesterday on mid to long passes was a revelation. Alex is typically throwing behind, above, or below these guys. VD’s post-game comments were a hoot — paraphrasing here — Hey, we’ve run that play a lot, and I never get the pass, but there it was — right in my hands in stride (big smile)..

4. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Chicago opened the game by packing the line to stop Gore. Which is why VD was single-covered. Which is why he got open nuch more than usual. The Niners took advantage of that in spades.

5. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

At one point after a catch, VD placed his hands together as if in prayer, and bowed to Cappy.

Funny moment.

The throw to Williams was the eye-opener. That was perfectly placed. He missed a couple other long ones, but all in all, a great day. And Cappy hit some nice slants as well. Moss dislocated a finger on the pass he dropped. All the WRs to a man said the ball was coming in much faster.

Thing is, this is a short week to prepare for NO, and I don’t even know the protocol surrounding Smith at this point. Do they start over with the neurological tests? Do last week’s count? As of now, Cappy likely gets the reps, and Smith sits one more game.

Should Cappy kick ass again., all bets are off. Smith very well could be benched in favor of Cappy.

6. chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I think smart money lets Kap start this week. As I said on your blog UC, New Orleans has the worst defense, by far. Sure, the Superdome is not the easiest place to play, but with the right game plan (and you know Harbs and crew will draft a great one), the Niners should win this game. It also gives Smith another week to clear the cobwebs…and his health is the absolute most important point in whether or not he starts.

I am not sure that it is an automatic that Kap is the newly crowned starter if he starts and shines this week. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

7. twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm

For no other reason than the thrill of it-here’s the final drive to win the NO game

8. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm

The pass is at 4:20 of this . . .

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm

what a great compilation from that game. And I think I’m in the minority here, but I love ted Robinson as a football announcer. I think he’s got the perfect voice for it.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Nope…you’re not alone, Flav…I dig Ted doing Niner’s games.

9. Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Concussions are a be-atch—lots of ups and downs as you recover. This could be an issue the rest of the year for Smith. I’d definitely start Kap in NO and just give Smith’s head another week to settle.
    I know I said earlier that I’d hand the job over to Kap but I thought about it and I changed my mind. It’s just not a cool message to send to Smith and the rest of the team. If Alex had been playing non-descript football this year it would be an easy call to go with Kap but Smith has been very good this year.
    And the thing about football is that injuries pretty much force the direction of your season. If you have a good back up at the position that’s huge.

10. twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I haven’t had a concussion since I played Chickie Run with my brother, on bicycles. Our house was at the bottom of two streets.Each of us went to the top of of one and raced down towards each other, the loser being the one who swerved to avoid the collision.. both of us morons “won” and a few sirens and a screaming Mommy later., we had our reward, a nice hospital bed..no Natalie Wood…

11. twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Not large, but perky littlle girls, aren’t they?

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Perfect. I’m of the “champagne glass” titty school of thought…more than a mouthful is a waste…

12. ewisco said, on November 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm

thank heaven, for little girls . . .

13. blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Off topic and not certain anyone really gives a shit about Warriors basketball, much less basketball in general (maybe Willie and that’s it, besides me) – I understand Andrew Bogut is injured and due “back” in 3 games. Is that back to practice or playing? If the latter, is that without restriction or that shit he was doing before he was injured (playing every other game)? Finally, does this guy have any reasonable chance to play at a level equal to the 2010 season? I’m in a couple of FL leagues, including one money league and right now, no one has claimed him in either league. Thanks.

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I am extremely pessimistic about Bogut coming back before the all star break. Maybe. They are doing that experimental blood infusion treatment and that always a shot in the dark. I just think he came back too early. And if something can go wrong it will go wrong if it has anything to do with the Warriors. They originally said 7-10 days but that was just to shut the media’s questions down. He’s in LA rehabbing but they originally just told us the ankle needed rest so i don’t know what that’s all about.
      Barnes is a baller though. That guy is going to be unreal

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Flav. That shit is invaluable. I picked up Nene today before it was announced that he would likely play tomorrow night (the expectation before was at least 3 weeks). I knew something was up because he practiced last Friday, as well as a walk through practice Sunday, coupled with almost an immediate increase in adds this afternoon before the announcement he would play. I got lucky. I was thinking possibly the same thing with Bogut, but after what you said about him, no way will I pick him up.

• snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Blade, I posted below with a link on Bogut for you…

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Yeah, I agree about Barnes . . . He’s been “discovered” in the 2 leagues I’m in (the dude is averaging 17.3 points on 50.9 percent shooting, 8.8 boards, 1.3 three-pointers, and 1.0 steals in 35.9 minutes over his last four games). Fucker has a motor that wont stop. He reminds me of Kenneth “Manimal” Faried and Gerald Wallace.

14. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm

You don’t like fantasy football but you go for fantasy basketball? Yikes. Basketball is way too random to even try to figure out. Unless you get Kobe . . .

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Actually Chuck, I perceive football to be far more difficult to play due to “random” factors, e.g., injuries, who the QB is, and what the score is . . .

Regarding injuries, frequently, it is a game time decision. Now, you’ll counter and say, “Hey, that’s the same thing as basketball or baseball.” Contraire dude. The difference is that in football, you have 16 games and an injury can be 1/16 of your season or even more.

Regarding the QB, let’s say you have Larry Fitzgerald. Big fucking deal when you consider who is throwing to him, right? I had him last year and I might as well of had Jerry Rice for all it mattered. A better example is in your backyard, I’m talking about Vernon Davis. My friend, Kyle was swearing up a storm at the gym this morning in regard to Davis. Why? The way he tells it – Davis has been missing in action the last few weeks and he decided to bench him last night, thinking that Kappy the erstwhile backup was going to get killed. Fast forward to the end of the game, who was the hero? Yep, old Vernon, to the tune of six passes for 83 yards, including his first touchdown reception since a Week 3 loss at Minnesota. Do you know how many points that is in FL? Quite a lot. My friend made a good rational decision to bench him based on his previous work with the 1st string QB. In short, I am not questioning VD’s talent, but as I said earlier, there is too much randomness regarding the QB wanting and/or being able to throw to him.

Now examine what I said about “what the score is.” Let’s say you have a healthy Gore, who was lights out the week before and you are expecting him to be lights out the next week, right? However, your fucking defense gives up 3 touchdowns in the first half and you’re down 21 to zip. You’re not exactly going to go to Gore, right?

All of the aforementioned never happens in basketball, albeit, occasionally, you will have a wipe out in the 3rd quarter and the coach will rest his starters (regardless of whether you’re winning or losing in most instances).

Hey, I won a championship in FL football, but it was so frustrating when the shit I mentioned above happened. It all comes down to football having so many complexities and being much more of a team game vs. basketball or baseball, which emphasizes individual skills in a team framework.

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm

“Never” I shouldn’t have used, i.e., injuries are part of basketball too.

15. Macdog said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Hey, a little Giants news from Baggs: additions to 40-man roster: Nick Noonan. Edwin Escobar. Jake Dunning. Chris Heston. Juan Perez.

• Bozo said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Hey, I was just asking about Juan Perez. Cool.

16. Macdog said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm

There’s more: SFGiants also purchased contract of RHP Eric Hacker, RHP Dan Otero optioned to AAA, RHP Brian Wilson transferred to 60-day DL. Minor leaguers added to SFGiants roster would have been among those eligible to be taken in Rule 5 draft. Noonan had great year at AAA.

• snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Wasn’t Wilson already on the DL?…

• Macdog said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Nice catch, snarkk. Baggs just sent a correction: No roster moves with Hacker, Otero or Wilson. That was an old bulletin that got sent to beat guys by mistake.

17. Bozo said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:37 pm

chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:09 am (Edit)

“Oh, and interesting stuff re: foul balls. I never knew that. All the years I have been going to baseball games (MLB or minor league, etc.), and still have not caught a foul ball. If I ever do, I am sure I will find a kid nearby and give it to her or him. (Or if I was with the main squeeze or my daughter, then they would get the ball.)”

Chuck, a couple of stories – When Pac Bell opened a foul ball came up to the section next to us. Adults were killing each other over the damn ball, this little kid in the front row had only raised his mitt. Nobody knew where the ball went until the little guy looked in his mitt and saw he caught it. The guy that I sat next to (ever since, one of my best friends and now owns my seats. Not to mention the greatest Giants fan ever, in my eyes anyway) realized the kid wasn’t wearing a Giant’s cap and went up and bought him one. This started a bit of a trend in my section.
    For myself, I got one at Pac Bell and just turned and gave it to a kid. People came down from the Club section bar to tell me I was on TV for that. Kruk also gave me his Kruk salute but I think me wearing his jersey also had something to do with it. And lastly, at the Stick Lenny Dykstra hits a rope to where I was sitting. I remember thinking how weird it was that nobody else was going for the ball, after it broke my hand it bounced off some guys head and landed in the lap of a guy a row in front of us. After being booed, I went to get a beer, when I came back, the guy on the end of the row asked me if the beer was for my hand or my head (because I didn’t catch the ball). I told him I thought it was both. I had taken the bus to the Stick that night so I had to wait out the whole game until I could get my broken hand and embarrassed ass out of there.

Keep going out buddy and you’ll catch one, what you do with it will probably depend on who’s with you, who’s close by, who hits it and maybe if you break your hand (I hope that doesn’t happen).
    Good luck buddy.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thanks, John. Great stories. I especially like the one where you gave the ball to the kid, and someone bought him a Giants lid. Very cool!

18. snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Blade, here’s a link to a Bogut item. Good luck with fantasizing with Dubs players. I saw Rick Barry in ’75 play vs. the Lakers at the Coliseum. He scored 38, and Attles sat him the entire 4th quarter. I do remember Kareem’s skyhook. I think I’ve seen one Dubs game since. Have almost zero interest in the NBA. I think it’s rigged…

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Thanks snarkk.

19. snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:01 pm

How’s about your team interest levels?
    10 being extreme interest, 1 being just above stick me in the eye with a toothpick.
    Here’s mine:

Giants: 10 (of course)
    Niners: 8
    Cal: 7
    Notre Dame: 3 (lapsed Catholic, I remember Terry Hanratty)
    Sharks: 2
    A’s, Warriors: 1.5 (and to think my legal secretary years ago was a Warrior girl)
    Bayern Munchen 1 (Bundesliga, I spent some time in Munich)
    Raiduhs: 0.5 (and, I used to be a huge Raider’s fan in the 70s)

20. snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Night all. I’m heading off with Mrs. Snarkk for a quick dinner, and then see “Lincoln”. Snarkettes are off to friends’ houses, so we have a rare free night. I have a bad feeling about how this flick ends…

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I heard it was a terrible boring movie, only saved by Tommy Lee Jones and Daniel Day Lewis’s performance. Give us a review when you come back.

21. blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Giants: 10 (of course) Me – 10
    Niners: 8 Me – 7
    Cal: 7 Me – 5
    Notre Dame: 3 (lapsed Catholic, I remember Terry Hanratty) Me – 0
    Sharks: 2 Me – 0
    A’s, Warriors: 1.5 Me – 5
    Bayern Munchen 1 (Bundesliga, I spent some time in Munich) Me – Huh?
    Raiduhs: 0.5 (and, I used to a huge Raider’s fan in the 70s) Me – Is Al still running the team?

22. snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Blade, that’s some good rankings. 😉 I meant anybody here posting might want to post their own rankings for their own favorite teams. Not much going on in sports tonite. Adios…

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:13 pm

By the by snarrk, I saw Flight – excellent movie. Still, I am interested in seeing Lincoln, so give us a review when you return.

23. willedav said, on November 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm

lotta lincoln related stuff lately….zum in costume….movie….secession petittions by a lot of the states from the movie whose fighters wore gray…
    I feel like andre dawson in that commercial…”what year is it?”

• James said, on November 20, 2012 at 8:47 pm

It’s Robert E. Lee day in Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Georgia on MLK’s B-Day!

24. James said, on November 20, 2012 at 8:37 pm

“The Tall Target” is a great antidote to any Lincoln biopic downer ending. Hard movie to see, but it’s really good stuff if you can catch a TCM screenig. Made in 1951, the hero’s name is John Kennedy.

25. Salty said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Typically a big 49er fan, but so far this year, I’m just not feeling as passionate. I think winning 2 WS has something to do with that. Maybe when the playoffs start that will change.

26. chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Pecking order on teams is easy for me:

1) SF Giants and not even close. I love most sports, but baseball has always been my first love.
    2) Niners – started following them in 1977 (same year I started following the Giants). After those first couple of years (including back-to-back 2-14 seasons), I was on a BIG TIME high for a long time when they were on their glory run. But even then, and through the Giants 1985 season (100 losses) the Giants were still number 1.
    3) OU football – WTF can I say…I grew up in OK with family who was rabbid for Sooner football. Some things don’t die easily.
    4) Sharks
    5 Cal Bears football

I have followed the Kings since they moved to Sac, but the last few years the way the Magoofs have fucked around, I’m following the Dubs again (and OKC Thunder – OK roots again).

• TedSpe said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Pecking Order:
      1) Giants
      2) Baseball overall
      3) All others…just passing time and gas

• tedspe said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:25 pm

No offense unca chuck. Love the Niners…well…love is a strong word…dig’em

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Good to see ya Flappin’ Ted!

• tedspe said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Good to Flap again, chi! And I type this with a Sees candy vanilla sucker protruding from my filthy, dirty, naughty mouth

27. James said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:41 pm

1. Giants
    2. 49ers, if they are playoff-worthy
    3. Cal Women’s Softball when I remember they exist
    4. Germany in World Cup play
    5. Warriors once a decade

• tedspe said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Germany in World Cup play?
      Schultz??!!

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:52 pm

DOH! I forgot about Cal womens softball. I love that sport in general. Such a fun game to watch…even though the basic tenets of the game (bat, bases, gloves, etc.) are the same, it is such a different game than baseball.

• tedspe said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I once assisted the Cal women’s softball team try out their sports bras.
        Job was $3.40 an hour.
        It wasn’t much but it was all I could afford

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:29 pm

LMAO…that’s gold, Ted…

28. tedspe said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:04 pm

It’s funny. We all think of Buster Posey as this corn-fed, well adjusted, as Bill O’Reilly (sic) would say, traditional American hero. But I pointed out during the Stable Boys period during the season, the man was and is the best “actor” on the team. And trust me, when you see the official 2012 DVD of this championship season when he does an imitation of Hunter Pence’s pre-game Elmer Gantry (thank you Pawlie) fire and brimstone sermons…Buster Posey has a post-baseball career as an actor.
    I don’t have that available right now to show you lads,though I’ve seen it…the man can act. Despite that oakie white boy rep…he’s got that..thang…that…

29. tedspe said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Well, it’s late.
    Tonight would have been the 96th birthday of a lovely actress named Evelyn Keyes who wondered herself if her career would have been different if she had been a 38 as opposed to a 34 (for those who need it spelled out…we’re talking bra size). Sadly, her most famous role was a bit part as Vivien Leigh’s younger sister in GONE WITH THE WING. Married to John Huston for 4 years with the surprise of an adopted son Huston decided to adopt during the filming of TREASURE OF THE SIERRE MADRE..kid named Pedro who became estranged (go figure) and enherited a chimpanzee Huston brought home at one point as another son.
    Strong woman.
    So I shall end my evening in tribute to her by watching her co-star as Boris Karloff’s daughter in BEFORE I HANG.
    A film criminally ignored by the Oscar voters.

Goodnight, gentlemen (?)

• James said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Always better to be criminally ignored than criminally honored. The legend of Mike Trout’s 2012 season will only grow.

30. James said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:57 pm

What a cager!

This is the kind of play WillieD is always preaching, right?

31. JBat said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:12 am

For me:

1. Giants first and foremost. Since I was about 7 they’ve had a magical quality to them. You know how it is when you’re a kid. My first favorite player was Chris Speier. The magic is as strong now as ever.

2. The 49ers are right behind the G’s. The championship years were golden and Joe Cool is the best ever.

3. On the ice Philadelphia Flyers reign. My folks moved from San Jose to south Jersey when I was a sophomore in HS, and I fell love with hockey. The Bay Area had no hockey team at the time, so hockey just wasn’t on my radar. Anyone remember the Golden Seals?!

4. I was a basketball geek when the Warriors won the title in ’75 and I loved listening to Bill King call the games on the radio. Next to Chick Hearn, I’ve not heard a better basketball broadcaster. The old man set up a hoop in the driveway and I spent hours shooting baskets. I keep waiting for the W’s to get better. 🙂

32. zumiee said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:17 am

1. The Giants #1, and baseball in general.
    2. The 49ers are down a slight notch as I still recover from the Nolan and Singletary years.
    3. College basketball in general
    4. The Kings and Warriors are usually equally sucky, but of interest to me.
    5. College football in general, Stanford and Cal in particular.

33. blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:41 am

1. Giants.
    1a. Cleveland Indians.
    1b. Pittsburg Pirates.
    2. Boxing (Ali, Leonard, Duran, Pacquiao, Hagler, Frazier, Foreman)
    3. 49ers.
    4. NBA
    5. College basketball (both male and female)

Sports I have enjoyed playing, albeit, poorly:

1. Baseball back in the day . . . sigh.
    2. Table Tennis (I played in leagues while living in Great Britain and once played against the number 2 ranked player there . . . Yes, I had my ass handed to me, although I could hit with him easily enough, but his serve killed me).
    3. Downhill Skiing. Ex-wife was a champion amateur skier and taught me everything I know. Near the end of our marriage, I was able to consistently beat her down the hill, but without the grace and elan she displayed. In short, if I had stayed married to her past 2000, I probably would have killed myself racing her down the slopes. Ha.
    4. Basketball back in the day. Bad genes that prevented me from growing beyond 6 feet.
    5. Softball, until the rotator cuff forced me through the years to go from shortstop, to 2nd base, to pitcher, to 1st base, to finally, stop playing altogether. 🙂

34. […] snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:01 pm (Edit) […]

35. chipower9 said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:47 am

Hmmm…A kawinkydink that all Flappers’ Numero Uno is the Giants?