A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Back to Back? Sweeps? Hell, yeah.

Posted in Uncategorized by twinfan1 on November 19, 2012

The goal is simple now-back to back World Series sweeps- no team other than The Yankees has achieved that-ever. With the pitching staff intact for next year, Sabean needs to get Pagan and Scooter in the fold.

I know there’s disagreement on this but I think they can do this with the team that finished 2012. Remember that they hit better as team after Melky left, I don’t think his production needs to be replaced.

I’ll give you my calls for every guy I think will make the 25 out of camp.

Posey: first thought is how does he improve on 2012? Second is how they use him. We’ve yakked about first base, third, LF-at least for this year I think he almost exclusively catches- unless Belt regresses. I suspect that Hector’s upside is as a good back up, nothing more. So:

Posey .310- 22-90

Sanchez .260 5- 25

Belt: will he end up closer to the Thrill? Or Snow? Or Niekro?  I think he’ll develop more and more power- call him Will Lite with a better glove. 2013? .280 18-75.

Scooter: I’d be fine with .270 10-60. So would Bochy, I think that’s what they’ll get.

Crawford:  I honestly don’t know if 2012 is as good it gets offensively. I’ll say .250 7-40 and I think everybody would happy with that.

Panda: the days of threatening him with the raisin country are over-if he’s not in decent shape-and they’ll take decent-they’ll look to move him. The way he plays-all out-he’s a torn hammie waiting to happen. He’s my biggest question mark, he’s a 25-100 or a 12-70 and outta here. I’l go with .300-25-100. Just because I love him.

Blanco/Brown/Peguero- I think there will be a good battle in the desert-and they all make the team. Can’t rule out an acquistion here, however. But I’m only going with current players here. Kieschnick  could challenge Brown or Peguero. Tough to call numbers- I’ll just say .250, 30 SB, good defense from the group.

Pagan: 3 of his his last 4 years have been good ones- I look for him to equal 2012, .290 10-50 100 runs, 30 SB

Pence: he’s been about equal home and away in his career, and he’s too young to be done. .275-25-90

Arias- as with any utility guy-the less he plays, the better off the team is. 319 AB is way way too many. Halve that..270 4-20

Theriot-hope they keep him. Every team needs a Theriot. As with Arias, way too much use in 2012. .260 1-20

I’ll do the pitchers later today (Monday). It will all add up to 95 wins, and a shot at being the only team other than the Yanks to sweep back-to-back.

November, 2013. The flag flies again.

1. Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:29 am

First!!!!!!
    Oh wait, wrong blog…….

the goal is another world series sweep? Shit, no pressure there. I’d take the 95 wins and just hope for the best.
    Well, the beauty of being a big payroll team who has just won the world series is that your off season is full of basking–there’s usually not many controversial decisions to make. And the best part about this team compared to 2010 is that we are young as fuck right now.
    Another cool thing about winning 2 in 3 years in that other GM’s are now forced to study how Sabean did this. It’s funny, he caught a ton of shit a few years back for being a guy who didn’t concern himself with saberstats (he has since softened his stance on them and has publicly said the team uses them in evaluating players). Being the longest tenured GM, it must have looked to his fellow GM’s that the game had passed him by.
    And now those same guys (or guys who replaced the fired guy’s) are scratching their collective head trying to figure out how to copy The Sabean Way.
    Haha, it’s really hysterical if you think about it.

2. chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:08 am

Nice thread, and I like the numbers. With the same old caveat…”if they stay healthy” I could see this type of production. The long pole right now is Pagan, and then to a lesser degree, Scoot. Bring them back, and get decent production from your pitching staff, and anything can happen.

I think the goal of every team every year is to win it all. But this team had than innate ability to truly take it one day/one game at a time. Hence the theme down the stretch last year: “25 guys. One common goal. Win today!” I think they come into 2013 with that same attitude.

2013? Back-to-Back? Why Not?

3. chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:10 am

See the countdown is finally working. Dig the 94!

Heard this morning that Alex was not cleared. Colin Kaepernick…come on down! GO NINERS!

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:22 am

Actually, because I have a custom designed site (some geeky high school kid I know did it for me) the countdown widget won’t work at my site. So I’m going to just do it manually. That’s more fun anyway (coming up with the different numbers to use each day).

• chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:37 am

I like it…adds a little personality to it. You did the same with the magic number too, right?

• chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:37 am

Flavor – did you get my email re: the Flap fantasy league a couple weeks ago?

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:11 am

i think so. You want in, right?

• chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:30 am

RE: Flap league…yep, I want in.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:22 am

I am Hopeful of another WS and I agree pretty much all the way around. Especially Belt. Now that he has Bochy’s confidence I think he will take off next year.

5. willedav said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:23 am

I guess if you can keep Scuts and pagan you could get by with less offense out of LF. The stats twin put up on bottom of the order guys a few days ago were impressive. The reds hit CF drew stubbs 8th, and won the division. Crawford seems settled in and capable of big knock, and got way more rbis than I expected.
    I hope Lincecum is able to build off his post season stuff and get back to more respectable mode. He does that, pen stays strong (with or without wilson), SF won’t need to score as many runs to win with their defense.
    I’m gonna expect more out of Pence for his $13 mil than what he did last year, and has to do a better job of protecting Posey; I’d worry more about him than Sandoval. Pablo is big, and fans need to get over it. Miguel Cabrera isn’t exactly svelte himself, but just like Pablo he can hit a baseball whether it is a strike or not. He is laying off more and more of the wild stuff and taking more walks. Plus, 3b is a tough position to fill with quality hitting and adequate defense.
    In the famous words of Howlin wolf, “I’m built for comfort/I ain’t built for speed.”

• JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

Does anyone know how to log out of this site then log back in? I used the wrong email address and can only post, on this computer, as a reply to someone else. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to log out here. My home computer is fine.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:49 am

Hovering over your name on the upper right next to the search should give you a drop down with the option to log out.

6. Sarge said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:13 am

I don’t worry much about Pence, as has been pointed out here many times before, his stats at AT&T before he became a Giant were more than serviceable. I think he was pressing after the trade to prove his worth. I say. 290 18 75p
    The biggest question mark for me is Zito. Does he have a regression or does he build off of his PS performance? I’d gladly take a repeat of this season, but I suspect a bit of a slide. I base this on nothing other than a gut feeling.

7. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:46 am

JBAT – easy – if you are logged into wordpress then there should be a bit with your name at the top right that you can see no matter where you are on the blog. Hover your mouse and you will see a menu with signout at the bottom.
    OTHERWISE – under the comment box it should say your wordpress login name and to the right of that is “change” where you can change which acct you are logged in with.
    IF YOU have logged in with a non-wordpress account – WHY?
    then that is different – let me know how it goes

8. twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:49 am

I know some have to be wondering why that crazy old fart is thinking about sweeping the 2013 WS while the confetti isn’t even cleaned up from this year’s parade. Well- we’re past the days of hoping to play “meaningful games in September”, past the the days of wondering who we’ll play in the NLDS, past the days of wondering which AL manager Bochy will school- it’s time to dream big-and what’s bigger than being the only NL team in the history of the game to win back-to-back World Series without dropping a game? I mean, that’s how I dream, the way children dream. Kids don’t dream about a nice little cookie for dessert- they dream of this:
    split

• JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:03 am

Ed, thanks but none of those 3 options are available. I used to log in with my gmail acct, which I still do on my home computer, aut at work I had been lurking for a long time and when I tried to log in a couple of weeks ago at work I couldn’t remember the PW. I think I inadvertently created a new acct that doesn’t seem to work right. The gmail is fine at home. If I could log out and log back in with gmail I’d be fine.

How’s that for a convoluted answer?

• eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:06 am

you have to click inside the comment box to see the login/change info bit. give me a sec I will log in with my gmail account

9. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:57 am

Twin – I felt that way, too. Just before the playoffs started. I looked at this team and realised we had a rare luxury: this team could go again next year with little or no effort/modification other than a good winter off and a little luck with the mojo/injuries.
    excellent topic, and I like the numbers.
    I am with DR about my man clumsy giraffe.
    I expect Pense to have a full season in orange and black and hit his usual success.
    I, too, love the panda. Maybe I should list him as my one doubt. Or signing Angel. Or Posey staying healthy behind the dish. But just one.
    A run at the WS, easy-peasy

10. Bozo said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

I’m hoping that when we win back to back that Flav will change the blog area to “World Series Champions. Again. Again.”

Off topic, or rewind topic if you will. Has anyone seen or snagged one of the S.O.B (Sons of Bochy) tee shirts. I’m thinking they look kinda cool. http://www.facebook.com/61customs/app_251458316228

11. twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:24 am

Niner news: Kappy will start, Smith not cleared.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:35 am

Bizarre way to anniounce it on the 49er Insider- Eric Branch said Smith was not cleared by a “neurologist” (quotation marks are his). WTF is that supposed to mean. He wasn’t cleared by an actor playing a neurologist? Stupid.

12. Salty said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:30 am

I think facing the Bears defense, that’s a wise decision. And Chi is going with a backup, so why push it? Not like they are facing much competition in their division either.

13. chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

Will be interesting to see how Kap fares against a top-flight D for an entire game. Bears have not won at the Stick since 1985 (I was there). Need to keep that streak alive.

• JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:49 am

Thanks for the reply, but none of the three options is available to me. My gmail acct works fine at home, but I don’t know what the hell I’m using here at work.

14. Macdog said, on November 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

And here I was hoping for nothing more in 2013 than the Giants still playing “meaningful games” when they make their week-long visit to NYC in September. But back-to-back, historical WS sweeps? Hell yeah! And even better if it’s the Yanks who are on the receiving end.

15. chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 10:08 am

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but read where Affeldt’s contract details are: 3M signing bonus and 5 per year. My aplogies if this was covered earlier.

16. JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 10:14 am

I’ll bag the login thing for now. My response to Twin’s post is:

I think Posey’s season is just the start for him, and that he can be a consistent .315 or better, 30 homer, 100 RBI guy. To do what he did this year in what amounts to his first full season is remarkable. It only gets better from here, IMO. He’s a special talent. And leave him at catcher for the time being. He’s too good not to.

As for Panda, I think the team would be hard-pressed to move him after the WS performance, but I agree, he needs to finally buckle down and get himself into shape and stay that way. He has all that unrealized talent. Get he and Belt going, with Posey and Pence, and all of a sudden your lineup looks pretty potent.

Belt can be frustrating with his inconsistent hitting, but he has that great eye. The way he gets into balls every now and then, you guys know, where he hammers those majestic arching blasts, make me think he’s got some serious untapped power. Two things about him that I noticed this year; he seemed to get more confident as the year progressed, which was good to see after his deer-in-the-headlights mode earlier; and I didn’t like his reactions to balls and strikes calls he got in the playoffs. He almost seemed to be whiny at times, and that shit ain’t going to fly with Big League umps. And is it just me, does it seem like he sometimes throws his bat down on his follow though, a la Ken Griffey Jr, like he thinks it’s gone? Then it’s not?

If Crawford can continue to play the defense he played in the second half and especially in the post season, I can live with the type of numbers he put up this year. He also seems to have a knack for getting clutch hits. What he showed defensively in the playoffs was mind-blowing at times and what a bazooka he has for an arm. Sweet Jesus. Gold Gloves for him in the future.

Keep Arias, Pagan, The Riot & Scoots. I love Pence and think he’ll play to his career numbers.

• JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 10:15 am

Now it seems to be working. Cripes, it must be Monday.

• eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm

computers – they make our lives easier

17. chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 11:04 am

Agree with everyone’s spin on Crawford. I think he has potential to eventually hit 10 bombs a year and drive in around 50-60, consistently. Package that with stellar D…hell, he can hit .250 and it is all good.

Another couple of things I like about him is that he is pure local home-grown talent. Many shared the story/picture of him at what many thought was the Giants last game in SF. He has long-running SF roots.

I also like that he rocks the 35, as did two of my favorite SF shortstops (Chris Speier and Richy Aurilla). I think I read somewhere that when Crawford came up, Murph is the one that hooked him up with 35.

I really like this kid…I think he is going to turn into something special.

• JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 11:32 am

I agree Chi, for all the reasons you listed. Watching him blossom this season has been very cool. His struggles at the beginning of the year are in the rearview mirror.

18. blade3colorado said, on November 19, 2012 at 11:32 am

Matt Holliday is putting up bulletin board material and the engraving, San Francisco 2012 World Series Championship is barely cool to the touch on the trophy. Per Mr. big mouth, this is what he is whining about . . .

I think the Giants are really looking forward to April 5th, when they play the St. Louis “Dead Birds On A Bat.”

• JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 11:50 am

Holliday is a schmuck.

• chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Fuck Holliday…he can go suck a big one.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm

WHATADOOSH

• Macdog said, on November 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hey Blade, totally unrelated to that spineless prick, I know you’re always interested in all things Mike Trout: http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20121117/NJSPORTS06/311170039/Angels-Trout-returns-home-hunt

• blade3colorado said, on November 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Downing six hamburgers in a sitting? Hunting? Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! His diet is worse than Timmy’s and I’m down with fishing, but hunting???? I just hope he eats everything that he shoots and doesn’t do that dumbfuck red neck shit of hanging the carcass on his wall.

Nevertheless, if the MOFO is available in fantasy league, I’m still snatching him. Mac, it’s as I’ve always said, these guys are baseball players, not rocket scientists or acolytes for Gandhi. 🙂

• ewisco said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm

the answer to that is pretty simple: first at bat, nail him. you know, get it out of the way early. explain to the umps he asked for it that way.

19. twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm

And Happy Hollidays to Matt. Dodger fans luv ya too, dude.

• blade3colorado said, on November 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Now, that is some funny shit Mike. Boo hoo Matt.

• chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm

LMAO…Classic!

20. Sarge said, on November 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm

• chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Would not surprise me. I dig Pablo, but I could see him getting a little full of himself. That is why guys like Posey are so refreshing.

• Sarge said, on November 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm

And I just missed all that about boo hooliday

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm

• unca_chuck said, on November 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Just don’t let him go to Aptos.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm

And what did he do wrong there that you have proof of? As far as you or any of us know- he fucked a girl, she was for it.
        “Santa Cruz County District Attorney Bob Lee told Sandoval’s attorney, Eric Geffon, that an investigation by the sheriff’s office did not corroborate the alleged victim’s account”

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The thing about Pablo, I think, has been the question, however vague, or even unfair at times, is he reaching his potential? But at this point, it’s becoming moot. The team is racking up World Series rings, so I don’t care anymore about that question. He turned on a high fastball from Verlander and rode that baby out of the park, and kick-started the sweep. He CRUSHED the scouting report on himself. All those times we saw Pablo swing and miss that pitch, and thought- gee, if he’d only lay off that high fastball…..well, that all goes out the window. His whole career, so far, pointed to the moment when he got ahold of that high fastball.
        Pablo’s unique. It’s pointless to compare him to other players. There’s never been a player like him. And he remains the Giant with the most power in his swing. Pablo, Buster, and Pence are a championship-winning 3,4,5 combination, and hopefully the middle of the order keeps its great mojo going throughout 2013.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm

He was unfairly being compared, as man, to Buster. We know nothing about either of them as men.The presumption on my fucking thread will be that they are both upstanding young men. Friends of friends of friends don’t cut it here.

• Sarge said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I understand he’s a great guy and a great teammate, he’s also a high profile single man that makes a lot of money and he loves the ladies. Not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing. Just that at times he can get distracted chasing tail. Hell if I were in his shoes I know I probably would too.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:53 pm

“Just that at times he can get distracted chasing tail. ” You have zero knowledge of that.

• sfsarge said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:04 am

No, I don’t have any personal first hand knowledge of anything. I never said I did. But I have no reason to doubt my buddy. But you know how it goes, I had to put in a disclaimer because you just never can be sure.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

Your buddy didn’t allege it, according to you. You said your buddy knows a guy who knows a guy who claims to know Panda. I don’t doubt that your pal .reported what he was told. No one has. There’s every reason in the world to doubt what is now a fourth hand account, however.

21. James said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Autumn in New York sounds pretty good to me. Me and Mrs. James may have to reserve a room in our favorite Chelsea haunt, across from Sid and Nancy’s place.

Happy Gettysburg Address Day!

• chipower9 said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I dig it…

22. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm

anyone have some links to a Jeffrey Leonard pic? One flap down running the bases would be nice, but welcome all submissions.

23. unca_chuck said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Yeah, Pablo’s Mr. Wonderful. I’d bet it would be a hoot to go drinking with Ben Rothlesberger as well.

It ain’t too much for the team to ask Pablo to get his ass into a little better shape. That’s all I’d like to see. He can go fuck whoever he wants. just don’t get arrested for it. Zito did it for 12 years. Burrell as well.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm

We live in America. Pablo was arrested and cleared because the woman’s story didn’t wash. Any athlete is subject to bogus charges. If zits hasn’t been, he’s liucky. Now, as I said-on this thread there won’t be unsupportable personal attacks towards him.

• unca_chuck said, on November 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Oh settle down, Mike.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm

This is not the NFL. where a man shown to be gulty of NOTHING can be suspended under a patently illegal policy, that if practiced in the regular workplace would have the alleged victim of the alleged crime also suspended from his/her job.

24. twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

• JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm

That’s hilarious, after all these year I never get tired of it. It was great to see ol’ *Penitentiary Face* at the parade. Always loved that guy.

25. blade3colorado said, on November 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Well, yeah we do live in America and this is a blog, not a court room. Sarge was making a comment and anyone is free to comment, agree, or disagree . . . Consequently, I think that’s a bit over the top Twin, for you to say:

“The presumption on my fucking thread will be that they are both upstanding young men. Friends of friends of friends don’t cut it here.”

and,

“Now, as I said-on this thread there won’t be unsupportable personal attacks towards him.”

Only my perception, but it’s almost as if you are attempting to censor bloggers here. True? At worse, you’ve probably pissed off Chuck and Sarge. However, I don’t know that for certain, i.e., they can speak up for themselves.

By the by, I like Pablo and he could do whatever the fuck he wants to do in his off time. However, I do agree with others here, that he is a very undisciplined man at times. Evidence? I don’t have much, except for what I’ve read about his weight fluctuations and the Giants attempts to have him be more disciplined with regard to training.

• eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I as well as others know, ignorance is bliss. If Pablo chooses bliss until the hammy or another drag-partial-season then the love goes out the window and I classify him as a man much like me – lazy.
      But I never had the talent.
      I pray there is someone amongst his advisers to see the talented years he has ahead.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm

No, pay arttention: His weight issue is quite different from whether he’s a good person. No one here has any reason to say or suggest otherwise. That’s out of bounds on any blog. Chuckles virtually pronounced him guilty of a crime that he was exonerated of. That is NOT cutting it.

26. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Ah, shite, I have just found out that while the BBC, them not it, are airing the game live it is at some layer 3 availability which means I cannot casually record it off cable for viewing in the am.
    I suspect they are testing who would stay awake for a San Francisco team, or an NFL game.
    2 judge viewer-ship. Drat
    now I HAVE to stay and play.
    Not for the NFL, or my local sports lust. But for my beloved city by the bay.
    BBC SF caps NY
    in every way and every day.
    Broadcast me

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:10 am

Way to represent in the UK, Edd!

27. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 3:20 pm

JBAT – I completely understand the sudden working. The way you had explained things it did just sound like a little bity fuckup and a big gonna work

28. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

usually this is where I tune out – a football game taking over the blog. Especially when there was such a great F1 inaugural race on Sunday to talk about.
    But I am committed to SF sports being heart felt in the UK

🙂
    so suck it up
    yo mama
    working class assholes

29. twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Let’s get this straight- I talked about Pablo and his conditioning in the original post. That has zero to do with whether he’s an upstanding young man and the account of a friend of a friend is utter bullshit. As is a presumption that he did anything wrong in Aptos. When unsupportable comments about his character are made, I’ll respond. Now those of you making such comments or attacking me for objecting to them- move on.

• eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm

exactly, let him play, I have no preconceived ideas that he is anything but a talent.

On another note, I have been in the UK for a while now and need y’alls input, please help me make my site better by visiting and doing what you can:
      gotta go take a nap before the game

🙂

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:33 am

Checked it out (albiet, via my iPhone and its tiny screen)…I like it. As I said on your page…great to have you representing your roots (Californian) and our WORLD CHAMPION SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS and SF Forty Niners. Boo Yah!

30. unca_chuck said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm

So, I can’t express my opinions, oh arbiter of decorum? You think Worthlessberger is innocent as well? I mean, in your opinion, not in a court of law.

You weren’t there either. I’m sure there’s a little bit of wrongdoing on Pablo’s part, but no one knows. More than likely the participants don’t even remember what truly went down.

Get off your high horse.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I don’t have to have been there. He was exonerated. In our country that means he didn’t do it (Pablo). As to “Worthlessberger “, his guilt is actually far less important than the PCP. If my daughter, for example, were the alleged victim and her company had the same policy, she could be suspended herself.

31. snarkk said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I don’t really care what Pablo does in his personal life. The Giants obviously have some interest in it, if it affects what he does on the field, or his availability to play. As for his weight, there’s no question he’s overweight. That can’t be good for his long term health, his joints, or performance on the field. We saw how it affected him in 2010, and the Giants basically didn’t play him in the playoffs because of it. He obviously has trouble controlling it. After his stellar performance in these recent playoffs, maybe the issue has declined in import with the Giants, but, I somehow doubt that. All I hope is he and the team figure out a way where he can get back in better shape this offseason and stay in a lower weight range next season. A lower playing weight clearly helps his fielding, range and agility, it appears that it may not matter so much to his hitting success…

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I don’t recall anyone questioning that he needs to be in better shape. The Giants have interest in what all of their players do in their personal lives, of course. Huff, Lincecum, Zito’s car accident the night before opening day last year, Guillen, Melky, Villalona, Mota, many players have been involved in incidents with varying degrees of severity. In Pablo’s case, he’s guilty of going to a bar and picking up a woman. That’s it.

• snarkk said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm

As I said, I personally don’t care what Pablo does in his personal life. The Giants do, because he’s one of the top public faces of the team, and they’re paying him millions of dollars to be available to perform and to be in shape to perform. I don’t know, but I would imagine Giants management has had discussions with him and his agent on his private life so that he can hopefully avoid situations like the most recent unfortunate one that involved law enforcement…

32. unca_chuck said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Gee, Mike. It’s fair game for you to attack everyone else’s threads, but we have to tiptoe around you? Got it.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Where are these attacks on other threads?

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:41 pm

And I remember what I write, so don’t edit anything.

33. Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm

When looking at the *blogger code of conduct* it’s important to note that no one here today has posted anything that the flap considers *over the top*. And I also don’t think anyone went on to long with this. It’s certainly ok to post something that a *friend of a friend of a friend* told you. In fact, that’s actually quite interesting info coming from a blog regular like Sarge (who I would trust over some random poster) People here can choose to believe or not believe what Sarge’s *friend -of* said or knew.
    But nothing that I’ve read so far (and I’m jsut scanning this after work and before the Niner game) was inappropriate about today’s thread.
    In fact, I really appreciated Sarge’s posts. They were posted respectfully and seemingly without ulterior motive. And the bottom line is this: Sarge’s *friend of a friend of a friend* re-count of Pablo is the closest ANY of us have to personal, non-media published info about him……
    Believe it or don’t believe it, it’s a free country……..

34. twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

And it’s totally fair to disbelieve the account of a friend of a friend- and challenge it. Believe it or don’t believe it, it’s a free country……..
    I like Sarge, too. But it’s fair to question this friend of a friend. Just as it behoves any fair person to point oiut that Panda was exonerated of the charges because police found that an investigation by the sheriff’s office did not corroborate the alleged victim’s account, In other words, in this country he’s innocent.

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

well, the only person who is qualified to question the source is Sarge if he felt like he thought his immediate friend was lying or if it sounded like he didn’t really know what he was talking about. He’s the only one who knows him and talked to him. Personally, I don’t think there’s any reason to question it unless there’s an indication that someone is lying—Sarge probably wouldn’t have shared his posts if he thought it was possibly untrue.
      And I don’t think there’s a person here who thinks Sarge made all of this up.
      But the fact is, lots of real and fake info passes to people through *friend’s of friend’s*. Who knows if it’s true. I’m happy to have anyone share any info they’ve heard about that they didn’t get from the stupid, censored news we get from the beat guys around here………

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Sarge never talked to the person who alleged it. Even Sarge admits it might be suspect “I go to school with a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that knows Panda (or so they claim) “.. there’s not a reason in the world to believe it..

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I know he didn’t talk to the original source, I said his *immediate friend* —as in, the guy who heard it from the guy who heard it from the guy. My point is that Sarge is the only one who talked to his friend. If I was having dinner with a friend and they said, “Hey, listen to what I heard today. You know my friend Chris who works at Intuit? His buddy who works at Dipshit Bar in Santa Cruz was bartending the night Pablo was in with that chick. He said….”
        Depending on how you trust the chain of the gossip, and each chain is different, totally impacts your level of belief in the story.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Sarge DID question it. So why shouldn’t anyone else?

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I’m sure many people will question it, myself included. But you are now arguing that Sarge posted something he heard from his buddy but it might not be credible and he questions it. That’s not how I’m reading his posts. He’s qualifying it by being honest and saying it’s a story from friends of friends and then he acknowledged that it might not be credible (when he said “or so they claim”).
        Otherwise, I still find his posts interesting and relevant to the blog’s topic and am glad he shared his personal experiences here……….

35. Bozo said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Where have you gone, Del Mar Dennis
    A nation turns it’s lonely eyes to DJ Loo (Woo, woo, woo)
    What’s that you say, Mr. Nipper
    Ted Spe has left and gone away
    (Hey, hey, hey…hey, hey, hey)

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Dennis is at Chuck’s blog exercising his free speech.

• Bozo said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

As I’m sure you are as well twin.

Sense of humor has LEFT THE BUILDING.

Go NIners.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Yeah, I’ve never humorously threatened Smith’s, York’s, or Obama’s life.

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I read Denny’s comments (about 15 minutes ago( and I didn’t see anything unusual or offensive.

• Bozo said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm

NO twin, the humor part that I was referring to was MY post, the one you responded to. Because I mentioned Dennis you felt a need to go off on that. If I had put Chuck’s or Snarkk’s name in there (which wouldn’t have fit since they still posts and the rhythm would have been off) you still would have made a comment emphasizing to your prejudice those posters.

I haven’t been directing anything (other than responses) at you, don’t know why you’ve been picking away at my post the last few days.

I’ve got an idea, how about I don’t post anything directly at you and you do the same for me.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I didn’t say he threatened those people tonight.

36. snarkk said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm

This topic kind of brings up the interesting area of the use or threat of use of morals clauses in professional athletes’ contracts. (Well, I think it might be interesting). You may remember the Falcons recovered a ton of Vick’s signing bonus based on his criminal activity; I would guess they used the morals clause in his contract to some effect in that recovery. Might be a topic for a thread someday this offseason, I’ll look into it…

37. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:45 pm

call me jad_edd, but the whole idea of media available anytime anywhere is a marketing ghost.
    like 4G in the UK, it is advertised as available, but it is not really, fuck me

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:41 am

lqtm…

38. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I got the game on internet, but on BBC all I have is a promise: Live coverage up
    fuck that

39. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

BBC has been advertising this game all week
    and nothing
    heads will roll

• Bozo said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Get em edd.

40. blade3colorado said, on November 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

“As far as Panda being in shape, I go to school with a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy that knows Panda (or so they claim) he says that when panda was in good shape he got in off the field trouble because he was a little too pleased with himself. He started to develop the attitude that his “shit don’t stink “. Which in turn affected his play on the field.”

Sarge’s original statement is above. Where in the fuck does he even bring up women? Aptos? Sorry, I don’t see it. It was only brought up, albeit vaguely, when Chuck said, “Just don’t let him go to Aptos.” Chuck was making a joke and I’m sorry, but I laughed. Big fucking deal.

However, I digress . . . Sarge, if you are reading this, I hope you come back, because this DEFINITELY isn’t about you, nor is it anyone’s intent to muzzle you.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:42 am

Well said, Steve…

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Thank you Chi.

41. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

as the local announcer said: this coach Harbaugh is pretty good.

42. twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Never said Sarge did talk about women. But Chuck’s subseqent statements abourt Aptos clearly show a lack of understanding about our judicial system. Maybe you can’t keep track of two issues at the same time-they were both addressed in the same responses. As before, I think you’ll need things simpler.

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm

actually your posts often run together multiple points and it’s not easy to always follow. Your Timmy post about *Timmy dictating Bochy’s pitching decisions in the playoffs was a good example of that.* It is actually you who should be clarifying your *deeply layered* posts more often…….

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Well, I was being kind in allowing that I might have been unclear. It is often true that some do not grasp “deeply layered” posts.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Let’s see if you can follow it in a simpler format: Sarge reported (and questioned ) the account of a friend of a friend who *claimed* to know Pablo and that Panda was full of himself and that affected his play. There’s no reason to believe that, as Sarge wasn’t sure of it himself.
      Chuckles made the Aptos remark and proceeded to question “fat fuck’s” innocence even though he was exonerated.
      Both opinions were fairly challenged.

• blade3colorado said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:33 pm

“No, pay arttention: His weight issue is quite different from whether he’s a good person.”

“Maybe you can’t keep track of two issues at the same time””

“As before, I think you’ll need things simpler.”

“Let’s see if you can follow it in a simpler format”

I allowed the first insulting comment . . . The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th deserve one response:

GO FUCK YOURSELF ASSHOLE!

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:33 pm

you called it *utter bullshit*. That’s not challenging it that’s discounting it, almost with a mocking tone.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm

It’s discounting the merit of the friend of a friend account. That *is* bullshit. And when Sarge says “or so they claim”, he’s not endorsing it either.

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:48 pm

if you’re so on board with Sarge discounting the post he actually wrote, then why did you get so bent about this in the first place?

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I wasn’t “bent”-read the progression. He made his comment-then Chi said it wouldn’t surprise him. And that he was grateful for Posey. Then I said “I have never seen any evidence but that Pablo is anything but a pleasant, modest, and totally engaing young man. Certainly no less so than Buster, another fine young man.” Then Chuckles piped in-then i was “bent”.. .

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm

whatever, this is stupid, let’s just all let this go.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:46 am

I agree on “letting it go.” I think “sub-threads” like this drive people away from the blog…and that, IMHO is not good.

43. ewisco said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Mr. Smith, glad to see you! Have you met Mr. Pipp? I think you might have something in common.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

If he’s out just one game, I doubt Smith get’s “pipped” (God, isn’t there anyone else who lost a job as Wally did?) If it’s longer, maybe.

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Whoever played shortstop the day before Cal Ripkin started his streak. But who was it? That’s probably a pretty old trivia question by now, but I have no idea who it is.

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:13 pm

As best as my Google skills can tell, it’s Mark Belanger. Somehow that seems weird to me for some reason, like Belanger was from too long ago, or something, but I guess he played into the early ’80s.

44. eddacker said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm

ya, know? night, the stick, football, does not seem like that ugly of a stadium

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Don’t let it fake you out. (grin)

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:49 am

It never looked that ugly as a baseball stadium, either. I cried like a fucking baby the final Giants game there. But then the following year I walked into Pac Bell Park for the inagural game, and I never missed that old place again. It does have a way of appealing for a football game, though, but I suspect the new stadium in Santa Clara is going to spank it.

45. zumiee said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm

The 49ers are bringing their A-game tonight. It’s a little odd the flat games they’ve had this season. Tonight, they look like a Super Bowl contender again.

• Flavor said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm

it’s impressive. I wonder how overrated the Chicago defense is?–national media always love to *harken back to the day and draw a comparison to the same franchise today*. And how unprepared are they for the Kappy Factor? And how impressive are Kappy’s throws tonight? Is that all just from one week’s of practice?

• zumiee said, on November 19, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Kap’s making a good case for himself. He was fun to watch in college. We’re seeing some signs of that tonight.

46. unca_chuck said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:22 pm

So, I guess we need to clear our jokes with Mike?

Judicial system? You, sir, are a prig of the highest order.

Wally Pipp is sitting up in his grave . . .

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm

LOl.. Exactly the oppposite. It’s the Room B dunderheads making a nice young man into a moral degenerate for fucking a girl he met at a bar. There’s no more liberal person here on any level than me.
      But Flavor wants it dropped.

47. Bozo said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Edd, has the BBC started showing this game yet? Hope so buddy.

48. twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:28 pm

The Bears never knew what hit ’em. They clearly weren’t ready for Harbaugh to open it up like he has. I think Alex will still have a job next week if he’s healthy- but if he has a 400 yard game in him, next week is the time to dial it up. I can hear the coyotes outside my door howling for Kappy

49. unca_chuck said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Chicago started the game daring us toi pass by putting 8-9 guys on the line. That’s why VD was open early.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Everybody was open because the Bears didn’t anticipate the game plan. Kyle wasn’t that open since high school.

50. James said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I really like this Kupernick Kid’s game management skills.

Could this fellow be the source?

51. James said, on November 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm

“Steve Young, noticed and threw him a pass. Rice, completely out of character, dropped it.”

Jerry Rice was a fantastic player, but he dropped his share of passes. Every other week or so some announcer would express in utter dismay: “Now there’s something you just *never* see.”

52. JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Niners look fuckin’ AWESOME tonight. Who’s this Kaepernick kid? 🙂

53. JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:20 pm

After being all over the field tonight, Bowman now tackles Hester on a punt return. This guy was, what, a 3rd or 4th round pick? He’s in the discussion for the best LB in football.

54. JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I know this is his first start, but it’s also the first time I’ve gotten a good look at Kaepernick, and he is really impressive. His accuracy has been the one thing that has stood out, as has his great command of the offense. I’ll come away from this game feeling pretty damn good about him as the QB of the future. It’s obvious he’s spent the last year and a half working his butt off.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:53 am

I saw him play in a number of games when he was at Nevada. Was impressed as hell with him then, and estatic when Harbaugh and company moved-up to draft him. I think he is going to be something special.

55. JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I’m sorry to hear that Pablo may be getting too big for his britches. Baseball is one game that will knock you on your keister if you get too cocky. Like I wrote above, I believe the man needs to make a serious commitment to getting in and staying in shape. He has tremendous talent, but maybe he should hang around Posey to learn the proper way to conduct oneself as a professional ballplayer. Coming back from a shattered leg to win the MVP gives him a lot of cred.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:46 pm

OMG. The word of a friend of a friend has gone fucking viral. Here’s that egotistical guy after the series

• JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Which is why I said “may” be getting to big for his britches. I do not want to get in the middle of one of these protracted arguments. I’m a huge Panda fan and only want him to fulfill his potential.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:10 pm

There is absolutey nothing to indicate or even suggest he “might’ be getting too big for his britches There’s no argument, that’s fact. He has NEVER shown himself to be anything other than what I said he’s shown himself to be- a delightful, upstanding, humble young man.

• James said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I think the reported problem is that he fit his britches too well.

• JBat said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:08 pm

lol

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Getting maligned by this friend of a friend crap is indeed bullshit. And he’s fought through *his* share of injuries- and life problems . I’m sure Buster could learn something himself.

• twinfan1 said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:39 pm

No, that used to the problem,James. Now he’s an egotistical rapist.

• unca_chuck said, on November 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Right.Pablo fullfilling his potential. Not fullfilling his plate.

And, Twin, you are an insufferable blowhard at times It was a joke.. Why do you feel the overarching need to defend Pablo’s ‘honor’ over a fucking joke? On a goddamn blog?

Ted Bundy was a hell of a nice guy as well, I’m told.

Hyuk . . .

56. ewisco said, on November 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm

my previous post was tongue in cheek. once the rest of the league gets tape it won’t be so easy. he did look good but Alex is the QB for this year. unless he’s hurt. it does give one hope for the long term though.

SF uber alles!

57. zumiee said, on November 19, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Very cool the #94 countdown-to-Spring Training, Smith, and the other Smith #99 had dominant performances in the 49er game tonight.

58. James said, on November 19, 2012 at 10:56 pm

to expand the zone
    ego freed by ultraslim
    may he swing freely

59. twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:13 am

When the person defending a man against being maligned by some dumb ass “friend of a friend” is the one who is perceived to be in the wrong, the morals and integrity of the of those defending the person(s) who maligned Sandoval need to be seriously questioned. There is absoluetly nothing, again., to suggest Pablo is anything but a fine young man and you’re godddamn fucking right that views that demean him without proof of any kind SHOULD be censored. It’s pathetic that anyone would accept, let alone defend, what was said about Sandoval. Period.
    Chuckles: you’re not talking to one of your your Room B idiot pals- what you said abiout Aptos was NOT a joke- your subsequent statements prove that. I’m going to repeat this for you again- Pablo was cleared of any wrong doing and while you may have some backing from the loony bin fringe, you don’t have any reason to be even inferring that he did one fucking thing wrong. What’s insufferable are the “fat fuck:” “jokes”, the idea that it’s OK to demean and slander him because of his weight and presume he did anything wrong when he was exonerated of wrong doing. Anyone here with a fucking shred of decency knows that I’m right about this-or maybe you’d appreciate a friend or family member mailigned based on what an anonymous “friend of a friend” claimed to know. Or maybe you have a “fat fuck” daughter or wife or son. Maybe you were cleared of a bogus charge and find that someone is asserting that you were guilty of “something”.
    Some of this same nonsense went on when another “friend”, this time an alcoholic, claimed that Rags was also a drunk and it was accepted as gospel. Well, I haven’t had a drink in a dozen years but as an alcoholic myself and like all alcoholics a person whose friends were often alcoholics- there is ZERO fucking way any drunk shows up for work everyday- NONE. The Righetti tale was also a big FAT lie by the “friend”.
    Goodnight.

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 5:08 am

it was not a lie. Do not question my integrity or that of my friend who I have known for probably 85% of my life. What was reported here, by me, was the truth. As Blade told you early, “Go fuck yourself”. And if he didn’t say that, then I’m saying it.
      My buddy saw what he saw in a bar one night, with his own 2 eyes, and told me about it.
      I told you to drop this and not only did you ignore my warning but you wrote a post disrespecting me and my friend, essentially calling us both liars. And here’s the kicker: you don’t know what the fuck you are talking about. You’re totally clueless. You weren’t fucking there. Got it? He was. And his word on what he saw trumps anything you’re typing on your keyboard……..
      If you want to spend your entire day blogging about the meanie things said about Sandoval on a blog that’s your right. But do not use it as an avenue to somehow call me or my best friend a liar about something I posted probably 4 years ago……….
      Now, for the FINAL TIME: FUCKING DROP THIS.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 8:37 am

It was dropped until others brought it up. We have a different “code”, I guess. You think reporting hearsay inforrmation about a player or coach is kosher.Blade and anyone defending “the friend of friend” account about Pablo is a shameless person- you’re goddamn right I’ll defend him. I find it hard to believe that you really believe that that’s fair lacking absolutely ZERO support for it. You should read the first paragraph of my 1:13. that’s the true bottom line and more people should abide by it..
        Now I have no problem dropping it as long as no more baseless accusations are made-, when I’ll do as any person of with any morals would do- denounce them.

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 8:47 am

you can go ahead and write whatever you want in your attempts to defend Sandoval. I will delete them immediately.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 8:50 am

You are fucking serious that you would allow a third party maligning of him and delete a defense? Wow.

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:00 am

no. I am deleting your future posts about this in this thread because you psoted something totally over the top at 1:13am today. You basically called me and my best friend liars and you did it by bringing up something from 4 years ago. if that’s not a perfect example of NOT dropping something, I don’t know what is. No one else said SHIT after I said *drop it* that was over the top except YOU.
        Now, maybe I missed a post that was over the top after I said *drop it* and if that’s so I will be happy to give that poster the same warning. Just let me know.

60. eddacker said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:15 am

And did you see that F1 race?
    great
    On to Brazil
    Amazing the horses done do they’re job.as I am a Hamilton fan
    I know a lot of you do not follow the racing like |I do. Still the track is fantastic. T~he opposite of getting settled into , but being surroud_edd by sweet meat until I come. YES race of Austin, TX
    Of coursed I never 9ers like I did 2nite
    Brit announcers said: “this is the team that can go all the way”

• JBat said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:43 am

Good to see another F1 fan here, Ed.

61. chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 8:08 am

Not sure if it was up for the “94” but love the “Commence The Title Defense.”

Great game last night by the Niners. I thought the Bears were over-rated going in…they had only beat one team with a winning record. Cupcakes. Bring on the Aints.

Only 93 days…damn, it IS going to be a loooooong winter. Did I mention that I miss baseball?

62. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hey Edd, there was a great show on (the Speed Channel? Velocity?) about the dangerous bad old days of F1 racing. How the tracks and owners ran the show, and they made the cars into rolling bombs.How Jackie Stewart, Jim Clark and others were trying their damndest to get basic safety equipment near tracks, and guard rails installed. The track owners said nope. Guys were dying at a rate of 6-10 drivers per year. And the drivers finally struck and wouldn’t race somewhere. Imola? Crazy stuff. I used to always go to laguna Seca when they raced F1 there briefly back in the 70s.

63. willedav said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

luv the Loo POTDs, but Casper Wells is pure lol. I remember Loo being ecstatic about this guy during a brief hot streak. Then of course, Casper became mostly a ghost at the plate for the rest of the year.

• unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

But was he friendly?

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

Loo’s brilliance has many layers.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:38 am

A GM he ain’t, though. I have to think his trades were just more of his wit, not serious.

64. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

Yeah, Chi, I said much the same on my blog. Chicago still has 2 games with Minn in the next 3 weeks, and could very well be 7-6 after these next 3. Sea isn’t very good on the road, but if Cutlet isn’t back, Chi is in deep doo doo.

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:33 am

Chuck, when is the QB Controversy post coming at ‘Forever? That should be a spirited thread, yes?

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:57 am

What is the URL for your blog, again? I need to get into the mix on everything Niners.

• Bozo said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:01 am

Chi – It’s under blogroll over to the right. NinersForever.com

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:00 am

Harbaugh needs to diffuse it. As I pointed out on Chuck’s blog- Smith had to be cleared by an independant neurologist to even particapate in practice- that’s clearly spelled out in the protocol rules. Harbaugh said last night that the decision to start Colin was made Sunday. Then Monday, Dr.Dan Garza, the team Medical Director, an Orthopedic surgeon, “uncleared” Smith. The team should be providing details as to why Smith was cleared by the :”brain guy” and uncleared by the :”foot guy”. If Smith’s symptoms reappeared or worsened, they should say so. Any doctor should be able to make that determination, even a non-specialist. But they shiould explain what changed.to have the neurologist over ruled.

• Bozo said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:05 am

As reported by Eric Branch in the Chron.

After Monday’s game, Smith said he was still feeling the effects of the concussion he sustained Nov. 11 in a 24-24 tie with the Rams. Smith has said his immediate post-concussion symptoms included blurred vision, headaches and nausea.

“I feel better,” Smith said. “I’m kind of in the middle of it.”

65. sfsarge said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:43 am

Looks like I missed all the fun. I wan’t on the blog because I scored a ticket to the Niners game last night and had to make arrangements to go. Look, I’ve never made any malicious statements about anyone, that’s not how I conduct myself. I know you said drop it Craig, but I have to say my piece. I didn’t even relate all of the other stories I’ve heard about Pablo. Yes, these were accounts that came from a friend of a friend, and there should be some caution when relaying information from a third party, but I’m also not just going to dismiss everything I here from someone else because I wasn’t there. But these other stories that I’ve heard all lead to the conclusion I posted yesterday. Just because something isn’t on the TV news doesn’t mean it didn’t happen and just because something is on the news doesn’t mean the account can or should be taken as reported. As was mentioned before, individuals can choose to believe and what not to believe.

• sfsarge said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:47 am

And now I’m dropping it.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

This is not about Pablo per se…
      As a person who has known many players, coaches, managers, etc. ( albeit most of them long ago). Uh, also announcers- Wayne Walker, Ted Robinson (a protege of my Dad), Summerall, Jon Miller..I’ve heard MANY stories, and witnessed quite a few episodes of bad behavior. I know of some ball players who are gay ( something I would never divulge). I have snorted cocaine with several Giants.I’ve heard first hand, second hand, 5th hand tales. Sarge said ” As was mentioned before, individuals can choose to believe and what not to believe.” That’s a pretty low bar to justify floating out unsubstantiated rumor, IMO.

• sfsarge said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:32 am

That’s not a justification for floating out an unsubstantiated rumor, I don’t need to justify anything. I’m glad you know dirt on former players and were able to keep it to yourself. What does that have to do with me relaying a story that I heard that may or may not be credible. As far as I know it is not an outright lie, and I do not know it to be an absolute truth. But it was an interesting and relevant addition to the discussion. If I knew that it was completely false then I would not have posted it. Since when are you the judge about the moral bar about what others choose to post? In the future I will email my posts to you for approval before they go up.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:45 am

You can float it out and it’s also fair to rebuke it for what it is: unsubstantiated 4th party rumor. It’s the Internet Caped Avengers who are wanting to squash any doubt as to the veracity of a rumor you don’t even fully believe.

• sfsarge said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:49 am

Darn those caped avengers! So we’re done now, right?

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

Well, you’re OK. I’m toast.

66. zumiee said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:53 am

The Giants repeated as World Series champs in ’21 and ’22, when the team was the New York Giants, of course. It hasn’t happened in the NL since the ’75 and ’76 Reds, so it’s well due for a team to get it done. Just a few pieces need to be added. Get Pagan and Scutaro re-signed. Decide what the plan is for leftfield, and then we’re just about set. Hopefully Timmy has a big bounce-back year.

The 1921 Giants are interesting to me also because of a small trivia point, or large, depending on your viewpoint. Before 1921, fans were required to throw back foulballs; but in 1921, a fan kept his foulball, was arrested, and took his case to court, and….WON. And from then on, fans were allowed to keep foulballs! A huge victory for the 99%. Yay, us!!!!

• Bozo said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

I never heard that story about the foulball. That’s awesome.

67. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 9:59 am

I was a big racing fan starting in the late 60s, and guys were still dying fairly frequently. Especially sad was in 1970 when both Jo Siffert and Jochen Rindt died. Rindt being the only guy to win the F1 championship after his death.

68. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:01 am

Chi, it’s listed onm the right side of this blog, under Nninersforever in the blogroll . . .

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:10 am

DOH! Thanks…

69. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:03 am

I’m geting there, Flav. Work sometimes gets in the way of my blog , , ,

70. chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

Good stuff, Zumie. I agree…I think Pagan is the first (and most important) order of business. Scutaro right there, too. And, I also think they should explore bringing back Theriot (he’ll come cheap, and why would he NOT want to come back). RE: LF, if Pagan is signed, I am okay with Blanco (and whoever else…Brown, Peguero, etc.) holding down LF. I don’t think you have to go make a big splash with a FA signing for LF “IF” Pagan is back. If Crazy Horse rides off into the sunset to another team, then it is a whole different conversation.

But yes…a few pieces and “Commence The Title Defense” is ON!

Gail (my better half) and I were talking the other day, and she said, I cannot believe I am saying this, but “I can’t wait for summer…I’m already tired of being cold.” And on that note…I cannot wait for Spring Training!

Orange and Black Forever!

2013 – Back-to-Back!

• zumiee said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:48 am

Yeah, if Pagan is re-signed, then a hybrid leftfield is fine. Blanco + whoever the 4th outfielder is + even Belt on occasion, when Buster is playing firstbase.

71. chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

Oh, and interesting stuff re: foul balls. I never knew that. All the years I have been going to baseball games (MLB or minor league, etc.), and still have not caught a foul ball. If I ever do, I am sure I will find a kid nearby and give it to her or him. (Or if I was with the main squeeze or my daughter, then they would get the ball.)

72. unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:10 am

Mike you keep saying Smith was uncleared. Nowhere do I see that. The last test for Smith to pass was the impact test. He was cleared by the nuerologist for non-contact drills. Nowhere was he cleared by the nuerologists AFTER the contact drills on Sunday.

From Mike Florio:

“It’s still unclear whether Smith reported concussion symptoms, or whether he failed the team’s “contact” test. The 49ers use the “contact” test for every player who has suffered a concussion, subjecting the player to simulated game contact to the head and monitoring him for symptoms in lieu of securing clearance and then having the player suffer concussion symptoms in a game.

Some other teams use the “contact” test, but it’s not required. In this case, the end result of the team’s analysis is that Smith will be required to not play.”

You heard it from a friend of a friend?

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 10:38 am

I showed you the protocol. To practice at all, he had to be cleared by the neurolgist. The reports that he was unable to get clearance from a neurologist to play are simply untrue as per the team, pal. “According to the 49ers, Smith was evaluated by team medical director Dr. Dan Garza and was not cleared to play”.The team lists Dr. Dan as the “concussion expert”. it is not a “friend of a friend” who is suspicious but many observers, who rightfully wonder if Colin was to be the starter all along, and the Niners just played a game so rthe Bears wouldn’t be able to fully prepare for Kappy. i don’t know if that’s true or not- I do know it *is* suspicious.

• unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 11:38 am

So you believe that the Niner doctor benched Smith per Harbaugh.

Got it.

• unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

Then the protocol is stupid. All week all I heard was Smith needs to pass the impact test and be cleared by the independent nuerologist. The impact test is done by the team. They aren’t even mandatory.

This is like the bullshit PED tests in baseball. It is being used by the NFL to merely cover their collective ass in the face of lawsuits down the road.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Maybe- but as I say on your blog- the larger issuse is that while Dr. Dan is qualified to *not* clear a player, even a nurrse can do that, Garza is not quafied to clear him. That’s a huge player safety flaw in the protocol. The league doesn’t require that the neurolist make the final clearance.

• unca_chuck said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Betond the fact we still don;t know if Smith failed the impact test, took himself out due to post-concussion symptoms, or was ruled out by Dr. Dan.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm

So actually we agree on at least part of this. OMG.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:12 pm

The Niners claim that Dr. Dan made the decision- that’s totally clear.

73. zumiee said, on November 20, 2012 at 11:02 am

I thought it a little odd Kap’s response to the reporter after the game, when asked if he expects to start next week, and he said: “I hope so!”
    Hmmmm….that’s not the politically correct response you’re supposed to say in that situation.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Not tracking on that one, Zumie. What do you think would be the politically correct response? Kap has in no way hidden his desire to be a starter in the NFL, and has on a number of occasions said as much (the latest being on a story on CSNBA):

“I wanted to come out and show what I’m capable of and show that I can be a starter,” Kaepernick said. “That’s what I’ve been trying to prove since I’ve been in the league.”

The entire story is at: http://tinyurl.com/cjlcyrh

• zumiee said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I guess, to me, it seemed liked he was welcoming a quarterback controversy, completely disregarding Smith, and that Smith had been the starter. And is that how Kap wanted to win the starting spot, with Alex getting injured? I’m used to players saying something like “I’m ready to play whenever the coach calls my name,” or something like, in that situation.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I can see your point there, Zumie. And it is unfortunate if his “opportunity” happens in conjunction with Smith getting hurt. I trust Harbaugh to not only choose who he feels gives the team the best chance to win, but to do so with dignity towards each player.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Actually a couple of interesting responses from the two QBs. After Harnbaugh said he had two QBs with hot hands, Colin humbly noted that he didn’t consider one game as having a “hot hand”.Smith was asked about the situation and said “They don’t want me talking right now.”

• zumiee said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm

In the article Chi posted, Vernon Davis says “I felt like the handcuffs were taken off me last night.”
        All the receivers were gushing about Kap.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Yep…I read all of those quotes…those by both the QBs and the one by Vernon. As I said earlier, I trust Harbaugh and his staff to go with the QB they believe gives the team the best chance to win, and to communicate this to both QBs, and the team, with dignity, etc.

• chipower9 said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I don’t see Harbaugh making a change, AND losing the team’s confidence, etc. while doing it. I think the guy knows WTF he is doing, not only with the Xs and Os, but in dealing with sensitive issues.

• twinfan1 said, on November 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm

And he deserved the praise. All of them also gush about Smith and none, appropriately, are taking sides.
        The handcuff remark was not neccessarily about Smith vs.Kappy.Harbaugh has previously said he’s used Davis more on blocking and Davis has said he’s been doubled and not open. When he’s been available, VD has always been Smith’s go to guy, as their dynamic perfornmances in the playoffs attest.

74. Flavor said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I’m glad Sarge got to post a follow up post on last night’s topic. I feel like everyone should have all this out of their system by now and I’m assuming we’re all moving on.

75. Bozo said, on November 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm

The Cards picked up Justin Christian?