A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Rank Your Level of Interest in *your teams* or *your sports*

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 21, 2012

Here’s how we write the lazy man’s thread. It was either this or a couple of Haiku’s I’ve been working on…..

snarkk said, on November 20, 2012 at 7:01 pm (Edit)

How’s about your team interest levels?
10 being extreme interest, 1 being just above stick me in the eye with a toothpick.
Here’s mine:

Giants: 10 (of course)
Niners: 8
Cal: 7
Notre Dame: 3 (lapsed Catholic, I remember Terry Hanratty)
Sharks: 2
A’s, Warriors: 1.5 (and to think my legal secretary years ago was a Warrior girl)
Bayern Munchen 1 (Bundesliga, I spent some time in Munich)
Raiduhs: 0.5 (and, I used to be a huge Raider’s fan in the 70s)

___________________________________________

For me (Flavor), this year, mine would go

Giants 10

Niners 9

Stanford Football 8

Horse Racing 7– I only gamble on the big days (BC, Derby, etc….) but I follow the sport year round.

Yankees 6 (I find their whole scene fabulously entertaining and interesting)

Indy Colts 5 (all 5 due to Andrew Luck)

Warriors 4 (too many losing seasons, too many *Murphy’s Law* set backs, for me to get really into the team the last couple of seasons. And I haven’t been to a game since 2007.  Of the 3 or 4 games I’ve watched on tv this year, I’ve greatly enjoyed Harrison Barnes, he seems to have *superstar tools*. But, all in all, the NBA game has gotten a little staid for me over the last 10 years or so.

Raiders 3 (I’ve found myself watching more Raider games since Al died, not sure why).

Golf 2 –I’ll watch part of all the Majors, especially Sundays.

Hockey 1– (and this is only assigned a *1* because I enjoy it immensely when they are on strike. Otherwise, this one would be a zero.)

1. blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:53 am

1. Giants.
    1a. Cleveland Indians.
    1b. Pittsburg Pirates.
    2. Boxing (Ali, Leonard, Duran, Pacquiao, Hagler, Frazier, Foreman)
    3. 49ers.
    4. NBA
    5. College basketball (both male and female)

Sports I have enjoyed playing, albeit, poorly:

1. Baseball back in the day . . . sigh.
    2. Table Tennis (I played in leagues while living in Great Britain and once played against the number 2 ranked player there . . . Yes, I had my ass handed to me, although I could hit with him easily enough, but his serve killed me).
    3. Downhill Skiing. Ex-wife was a champion amateur skier and taught me everything I know. Near the end of our marriage, I was able to consistently beat her down the hill, but without the grace and elan she displayed. In short, if I had stayed married to her past 2000, I probably would have killed myself racing her down the slopes. Ha.
    4. Basketball back in the day. Bad genes that prevented me from growing beyond 6 feet.
    5. Softball, until the rotator cuff forced me through the years, to go from shortstop, to 2nd base, to pitcher, to 1st base, to finally, stop playing altogether. 🙂

2. blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 7:02 am

Actually Flav, I thought that was an excellent idea of snarkk’s and your decision to run with it. Haiku’s, bongo drums and all things Maynard G. Krebs we’ll have plenty of time for this off-season.

3. zumiee said, on November 21, 2012 at 7:09 am

SF Giants- 10
    49ers- 9.5
    College basketball and college football in general, no particular big favorite teams, Stanford and Cal are of interest- 8
    Kings and Warriors, and NBA in general- 7
    A few Cal. League minor league Single A teams: San Jose Giants, Stockton Ports, and Modesto Nuts- 6

4. willedav said, on November 21, 2012 at 7:13 am

This is a good one. Giants I watch as much as I can when they are live, all others rarely.
    College football and b-ball would be an 8, no fav teams except for cal b-ball, mens. I steal stuff from Monty.
    Pro football a 7–I like it but miss a lot of Sunday action due to coaching, niners tops.
    nba a 4, lot of it boring with too many selfish me first whiners. W’s are much more interesting these days, good mix of some talent in different positions. Still can’t watch a whole game tho.
    Hockey would be a 3, sharks are cool, dig their announcers. always liked Canadiens, who suck now.
    Golf??? r u serious? I’d rather clean my apartment.

• Flavor said, on November 21, 2012 at 7:40 am

Golf is one of those sports that you have to play to ever be interested in watching—I’m not saying that you HAVE to play to be able to enjoy watching it but I would guess it’s that way for the majority of viewers.

5. willedav said, on November 21, 2012 at 7:17 am

As for amount of time attending something, it would be HS/club team basketball watching kids I coached when they were younger or friends of mine who coach same.

6. Bozo said, on November 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

Giants,
    9ers
    Flying squirrels,
    New Orleans Zephyrs
    Saints (when they ain’t playing the 9ers)
    LSU (bowl games only)
    West Virginia (bowl games only)
    Women’s volleyball.
    Man U
    All Blacks

• Bozo said, on November 21, 2012 at 8:19 am

Drummers –
      Tony Williams
      Max Roach
      Papa Jo Jones
      Lou Bellson
      Levon Helm
      Keith Moon
      Ginger Baker
      Jim Keltner
      Earl Palmer
      Jim Gordon (I know he murdered his mom but the dude could play)
      Mitch Marine
      Oops the list went to 11, guess it’s one louder.

• James said, on November 21, 2012 at 8:38 am

Sure you didn’t mean Carl Palmer? 🙂

You an Eddie Bo fan? James Black rules!

• Bozo said, on November 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

Huge fan of Eddie Bo. He had a sister in Oakland and I was trying to get him out here to play the Music Hall but Eddie didn’t want to leave NOLA at the time (late 80s).

No, I meant Earl Palmer, Dave Bartholomew’s drummer and recorded with Fats, Little Richard. Professor Longhair, Tom Waits. Sam Cooke, Dizzy – the list is almost endless. Check him out James.

• James said, on November 21, 2012 at 9:48 am

Was JK about Carl Palmer, Bozo. Hook’N’Sling (both parts) is one of my favorite NOLA tunes, with some of the best out in front drumming ever heard on a pop record. James Black was one of those local legends who stood in the shadow of players like EP.

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

WTF? No John Bonham?

• Bozo said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:53 am

Hook it Baby.

Eddie was just playing solo by the time I got to see him but he’d still pull out Check Your Bucket and Check Mr Popeye out from time to time. I would have loved to see James Black playing with him. I’m pretty sure I saw him play with Ellis Marsalis at JazzFest in the early 80s.

• Bozo said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:04 am

Blade – I was never a big Bonham fan. I had a boss one time that was a huge Zep fan and it used to piss him off that I didn’t worship Bonham. I didn’t include a lot of great drummers Chick Webb, Art Blakey, Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa either (although I should have Krupa on the list). Hell, I love DJ Bonebrake and I left him off as well.

• Macdog said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:17 am

Ha, Blade, you beat me to it about Bonham. Hey Clown, now I see an eerie similarity between his nickname (Bonzo) and yours. Anyway, great list of drummers, especially coming from someone like you who knows the craft.

• Bozo said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:33 am

Mac, I don’t know the craft all that well but I do feel like dusting the tubs off and banging on them a bit.

• James said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:46 am

I once pissed off a boss by arguing that John Bonham couldn’t hold the, ahh, the bra of Sleater-Kinney’s Janet Weiss. The drum break in “Whole Lotta Love” always struck me as kinda LOL clumsy.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 21, 2012 at 9:00 am

Twilight. Really?

8. twinfan1 said, on November 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

While I have teams and sports I like more than others, I’m more player oriented than strictly team oriented. This probably comes from growing up when players stayed longer with one team and also there really was a time when the gap between what most players made and Joe Trucker made was not nearly as drastic as it is today.So, just off the top of my headc, recent Giants players who are favorites. There are many criteria beyond talent: class, effort, “just because”, a host of reasons: Bobby and Barry Bonds, Jim Barr, The Count, Pettini, Herndon, Moon Man, Max Venable, Al Holland… gee, I don’t think I’m even into the 80’s yet.
    Favorites on today’s team: Panda, Belt, Arias, Pence, Blanco, Cain, Mota, Affeldt…
    No particular order.
    Sports that can disappear and the sooner the better:
    Boxing (I LOVED it as a kid)
    Hockey
    Dog Racing
    The only sport I can say I love: Baseball
    Sport I really like but think that I’ve been drugged to make me like it: Football
    The Warriors: until about December 1 it’s kinda fun. Then reality sets in: Re-runs of the Jeopardy Smart Pets tournanment are more interesting.

9. chipower9 said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:03 am

Giants – 10
    Niners – 9.5
    Oklahoma Football – 8
    San Jose Sharks – 7
    Cal Football – 7
    Cal Women’s Softball (and the tournament, in general) – 6.5
    Kings/Warriors/OKC Thunder – 6
    Women’s Beach Volleyball – 5.5
    Winter Olympics – 5

10. blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:33 am

Ridiculous article I just commented on at Bleacher Report . . . Author thinks Panik will join the Giants in 2013. LMFAO.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:58 am

Challenge Crawford for the SS position? Does this dude really watch the Giants? Crawford can stand to improve at the plate but he was fourth on the team in doubles and handles the defensive side pretty darn well. Being part of the WS winning team I think both he and Belt are Bochy’s boys going forward.

Crawford is interesting to me. I think he is still young enough that he can improve on the offensive side of the ball and will be a respectable hitter.

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:05 am

Dirt, I couldn’t figure out who this guy had been watching either. Certainly not the San Francisco Giants (much less, Panik). Crawford will be manning short stop for the next few years in my opinion.

• chipower9 said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:16 am

I agree…the guy is a stud with the leather, and I think he has a good chance to consistently hit .250 or better, with 10 bombs, and 60 or so RBIs. With his glove…I’ll take it.

I don’t know who the fuck Mitch Petanick is, but he needs to lay off the ganj.

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:27 am

Craw made one error, I think, in the whole playoff run, with many run saving or inning ending super plays. The kid has a very solid future as the Giants SS. If he keeps anywhere near .250, he’s got a job for a decade. Plus, he’ll probably develop a little more pop as he gets older, so his .slg should go up. And, he’s pretty fast. I’d say he could be a .270 guy in a coupla years…

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

I hope you don’t mind Dirt, I appropriated your Sickels top prospect link that you posted the other day in partial rebuttal to this guy’s response (yeah, they respond back quick at Bleacher Report, waiting breathlessly for someone to read their articles. Grin). I do have to give him credit though, he responded back in a polite way. I feel guilty about calling him out now. 🙂

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:30 pm

So you were hoping he wouldn’t respond or that he would be a dick about it? I think it was Twin’s link.

• Macdog said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

I clicked on the link and quickly realized what it was. Sorry, Blade, but I refuse to acknowledge anything from that loathsome site, designed soley to titillate and arouse and which adds zilch to sports journalism.

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:51 am

I absolutely agree. However, some ludicrous articles I have to comment on.

11. Macdog said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:51 am

NY Giants: 10

SF Giants: 10

Brooklyn Nets: 6 — Would’ve been at least 8 during the Kidd years, but 5 straight losing seasons and the move out of NJ have cooled my interest a bit. Off to a good start, though. Haven’t quite warmed up to DWill, and Lopez can score but god almighty is he soft. Bad loss to Nash-less LA last night, hoping for bounce-back tonight vs. Ws. A win over the hated Knicks Monday might boost this back to 8.

College football: 5. Fun to watch, unfortunately don’t get to see many games. Biggest rooting interest is whoever’s playing Notre Dame. I’ll confess, though, you guys have me following Stanford a little, and I was pulling for them last week vs. Oregon despite the awful ramifications. Now if they hadn’t gotten screwed in South Bend . . .

NJ Devils: 4. My one bandwagon team. Solely based on whether they make a big playoff run as they did last year. Rarely watch during regular season, and do not miss hockey at all — that’s now job-related as well.

Golf: 4. Really only watch the majors, with biggest focus on Masters, one of the great sporting events, and US Open. Mickelson’s my favorite, must be a lefty thing.

College hoops: 4. I root for Rutgers, though not too fervently. Regular season has become as meaningless as NBA and NHL, though, and can’t really get into it. There are little pleasures to be found, like seeing Butler beat the crap out of Carolina last night, much to my co-worker’s chagrin.

And, of course, any sport my daughter plays: 10. Soccer, hoops, softball. My far the most stressful was watching her play middle school softball last year, although playing goalie in soccer isn’t far behind.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:00 am

SF Giants = 10
    SF 49ers = 7
    A’s = lol
    Raiders = Their owner has a terrible haircut
    Warriors = Pffft
    Waiting for pitchers and catchers to report = 8

• chipower9 said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:17 am

Waiting for pitchers and catchers to report = 8. Love that, Dirt.

13. snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

Way to go BF, glad you appropriated my post. Actually, after I posted it, I thought it might be a decent stop gap thread to start something on a slow day, so here it is. I watch golf in the majors, pretty much. Masters is OK, but so pretentious it gets a little much. I like the US Open, there’s always an interesting “who’s that” story because it is an “open” qualifying event, which to me, is very cool. Plus, the courses change every year. They are playing in 2015 at a fantastic new course near Seattle, and in 2017 at a new venue in Wisconsin. Mixing the old courses with new is a great idea. What other professional sport actually gives an amateur (a super good one, yes) a real chance to qualify to play with the big boys? Would I ever have a shot at playing on the Giants? Hell no. But, if I were a scratch golfer, and got hot playing out of my mind in the qualifiers, I COULD find myself teeing off on Thursday of the US Open at Merion next June. That is awesome. BTW, when I went to a practice round at Olympic this past June, that was a very cool deal. When you get there, you realize this is a BIG event, world class. I also saw the US Senior Open some years ago back at Congressional when I was living in the DC area. Even that was a good event. About every third year I go down to Pebble to see the ATT, it’s gorgeous, even though the hassle factor seems to rise every time I go. I’ve played Pebble twice and Spyglass several times, so that gives me some insight on what these guys are doing. They are amazing. Anybody that says golfers aren’t playing a sport or are not athletes is FOS. Ask Michael Jordan if golf is a sport, then how much money he’s lost playing it…

• Flavor said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:41 am

Michael Jordan……or Jerry Rice. Talk about embarrassing yourself. He should not be playing professionals, ever…..

• Bozo said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:43 am

I don’t know snarkk, golf doesn’t meet my criteria for a sport. Athletic endeavor maybe but a sport no. In my book a sport is played with a ball and you don’t have to chase it yourself. So to me golf and hockey aren’t sports whereas bowling and table tennis are.

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Bozo, when I hit my tee shot in the water, I don’t chase it… 😉

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Yeah, I only chase my club when I throw it after a bad shot . . . unless, I’m really upset and then I “wrap it” around a tree trunk.

• Bozo said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm

OK it might be a sport after all

• Macdog said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

OK, it’s not rugby. But swinging a golf club over a hundred times while drinking beer on a 90-degree day just ain’t as easy as it sounds.

• chipower9 said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Hockey, not a sport? Just because they don’t use a ball. Sorry John, that’s laughable. I think hockey players are some of the best athletes out there. To skate with precision, while trying to control (or steal) a puck, while a bunch of guys that go 6 foot plus and 200 lbs plus try to take your head off…just saying.

14. Bozo said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:52 am

Have you guys seen the trailer for this year’s WS movie? They have the team giving their impression of Pence.
    It’s pretty funny stuff. http://tinyurl.com/cozfw8g

• chipower9 said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:13 pm

That is fucking awesome! Got my bask on again like a MoFo. It is cool how if you let it roll, it progresses to more takes. I’m looking forward to purchasing the 8 disc set (bought the one from 2010). Great stuff.

Also, read today where Bochy was at the preview last night and had the trophy with him. So cool!

15. twinfan1 said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Golfers are, by and large, much better athletes than they used to be. And it’s a humbllng sport .Personally I find it totally cool that chubby 60 year old smokers can kick Michael Jordan’s ass.

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Lee Trevino is over 70 now. I don’t know if he still plays, he probably does. I would love to see him play 18 with Jordan, even now at over 70. Trevino would probably take Jordan for a considerable sum on various bets, even now. Hell at 60, after an 18 with Jordan, Trevino would probably have owned Jordan’s Nike contract…

16. snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hey, Blade. Here’s you review on “Lincoln”, the movie:
    3.5 out of 5 stars.
    Set in early 1865, it focuses on Lincoln and the politics surrounding the end of the war and passing the 13th amendment (ends slavery) at the same time. As you’d expect with Spielberg, very good scene setting, etc., really get the feel of the times and how crazy it was then. It’s really not a civil war focused movie, there are few battle
    scenes. Mostly people and dialogue, with good acting. Daniel Day Lewis is excellent playing Lincoln, and to my surprise, Sally Field was quite good as Mary Lincoln, who had mental health issues (most now think she was bi-polar). For people who haven’t read much about him and have an idealized view of him, this is pretty good on getting a more realistic view. He had to deal with some real snakes in politics at the time, in the middle of a civil war, so to survive as a president and get what he wanted, he was no saint in his political dealings. He was country smart, and definitely a master politician that could not be steamrolled. How historically accurate, I don’t know. Obviously, a lot of dramatic license, but based supposedly on the recent “Team of Rivals” book by historian Doris Kearns Goodwin. If you have an interest in “period” pieces, and this tumultuous part of US history, probably worth the 2+ hours investment…

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Did Tommy Lee Jones steal the movie? A friend said that he was really good in it. Another friend said there was too much dialogue and that’s why he thought it was boring. Huh? Lincoln was the President, he didn’t strap on a Colt Navy revolver and Enfield rifle musket and go to the front. Anywho, I have that on my queue, after I see Skyfall this weekend. I saw Flight last week and that was excellent.

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Eh, TLJ was good. But, he played an over the top character, and there were more than a few of those in the flick. Frankly, TLJ has been overexposed IMO. He’s good, but whenever I see him I think he’s that guy from Men in Black, and he’s got a “neuralizer” or whatever it is in his pocket about ready to scramble somebody’s memory…

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Oh . . . I almost forgot – thanks! 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

By the by, I think my friend who said that it was boring, may have seen that crazy flick where Lincoln is a vampire killer and consequently, expected this flick to show Lincoln in “action” too. 🙂

• zumiee said, on November 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Thanks for the review, Snarkk. I’m going to try to see it this week. I read “Team of Rivals.” Kearns is consistently terrific in the quality of her books.
        Blade, I’m suspect of a review that says “too much dialogue.” That’s like Mozart being accused of “too many notes” in the film Amadeus. (grin) If it’s great dialog, then it’s not a problem; but everyone likes different things in movies. And I’ve seen some historical films, like “Gods and Generals,” that make history boring, and that should never happen, because history isn’t boring. “Gods and Generals” had some well-done battle scenes, but the dialog was ponderous and dry.
        Bozo, thanks for the link. It doesn’t take much for me to go in full-on bask mode, and that there did it.

17. ewisco said, on November 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

cain nails the intensity. affeldt nails the eyeballs bugging out of his head.

18. unca_chuck said, on November 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Late to the party here . . .

1a. Niners
    1b. Giants
    2. Chicago Bears
    3. Cubbies
    4. Oregon football
    5. Stanford football
    6. Skiing
    7. Sharks
    8. Dubs
    9. Golf
    10. Women’s beach volleyball

Niners get the slight nod from me for my fave. I was a better football player than baseball player, and I got into the Niners a little bit earlier than I did the Giants. Shit, I was better at basketball, but I lost interest in the Dubs when they traded away Chris Weber, plus I don’t get the Dub games out here in the hinterlands.

Ask me this 20 years ago and it’s a lot different.

19. snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm

That Giant’s movie excerpt where the guys mimic Pence is amusing. But, I liked best the part where Pence is viewing their efforts, laughing, then he gets choked up about it all. That says these guys were a real team…

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I loved the imitations; didn’t notice Pence getting choked up. I’m a sucker for tears.

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 3:57 pm

IMO, he chokes up 1:30 – 1:35 or so into the video…

20. Flavor said, on November 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Reds Sign Emmanuel Burriss
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 21 at 3:32pm CST]
    The Reds signed utility player Emmanuel Burriss to a minor league deal, Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports (on Twitter). CAA Sports represents Burriss, who elected free agency earlier in the month.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#IQssxTkP9LM8WUum.99

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I always liked Burriss’s dedication and the fact he was a rare player from D.C., but I also felt he was never all that good. Good luck; enjoy the ring(s).

• chipower9 said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I always liked him, too, but thought after a few years that he really wasn’t going to pan out. I do wish him luck.

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Dusty wants to see what the rings look like…

21. Salty said, on November 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Giants have had their share of first rd busts since 1965.

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I counted around 20 out of the 67 that I recognized as having made it to the big club for any significant time. Maybe a dozen turned out to be important players. So, maybe 15% to 20% of first rounders turn into something for the Giants. Wonder what the MLB average “hit” rate is?…

• Flavor said, on November 21, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I would guess it’s less than 15-20%

22. Flavor said, on November 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Burriss had been in our org since 2006. I can’t think of another player (though I’m sure you guys will) who we drafted high (he was a supplemental draft pick), was with us for 6 or 7 years and who was on and off the team at least 3 or 4 of those years but was never anything more than a fringe role player. Maybe Brett Pill? But he didn’t spend the time Burriss did at the big league level……
    Well, for living on our fringe for 7 straight years we didn’t really invest much in him. He scored a million dollar signing bonus and then he made about 1.5 million in salary when he was at the big league level.
    Shit, Whitey did just about as good if not better……..

23. pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

You all probably saw this. The first and only time I ever saw it was at Finnerty’s NYC during the NLCS:

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 5:24 pm

No one in my house wants to even watch it, that’s how much influence I wield. Sheeesh.

• Flavor said, on November 21, 2012 at 5:30 pm

this is pretty good. I like the song but hate the dance (real song and dance, not the shit this dude is doing).
        Youtube is the best, think about how much time a guy like this put into making this video……
        Pawlie, remember when we were walking down King street past the ballpark and that small group passed us on the street making a video and I told you that is a popular local rapper? I’m gonna go see if he’s turned that into a video yet…….

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Sorry, turned it off halfway through. I need a Makers rocks after that…

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 5:40 pm

You know, sometimes the Snarkettes do some kinda funny, interesting parodies with dances and songs and shit like that, and they say — Daddy, let’s put this on Youtube! And, I say, no way, nobody’s going to have your faces and bodies on digital and then who knows what they’ll do to that, etc. Am I being a total nutjob worrywart, or being rational Dad here? I would even put a photo or two of them up here on the photo page with pics at ATT, but I’m afraid of the same thing — once photos are on the Web, they can go anywhere, and be used by anybody for anything…

24. Flavor said, on November 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm

This is the video that was being filmed as they passed by Pawlie and me on the street (maybe 6 feet next to us) At the 23 second point is a shot of him coming down the street when we were coming up the street. It’s a terrible rap song and they only show each frame for like a half a second, but Pawlie and I were definitely in the camera shot as they passed us (we were on the sidewalk next to the curb and they were coming down the street right next to the curb). Who knows if they even used the clip in the video. They go back to the King street shot about 40 times in the video and it’s so quick I couldn’t see if we’re in it.
    Pawlie, if you’re still on the flap, do you recall this?

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm

When you see this merde, you realize how good the Ashkon vids are…

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:06 pm

hell yeah!!! gotta check it out AND put it in chapter 1 of my book! Thanks! maybe will watch this!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I remember them filming. I don’t see us. He is TERRIBLE.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

it does have value for me as a video of the crowd and the buzz but not musically; shit maybe I get more evidence about my TRANSACTION and what preceded it

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:29 pm

You know, I’m annoyed with this guy and his thuggish demeanor and filthy and unclever lyrics and faux anger associating himself w/ the Giants. Ashkon ain’t like this.

25. blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Well snarkk, if you did do something like that, you would have to play it safe and use a pseudonym instead of your real name of snarkk. 🙂

• snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Yeah, thanks Blade. Ten years from now, after the Giants’ 6 WS title in SF, BF will pull some BBOTD shot of some hot young thing in a thong, and it will turn out to be my older Snarkette in a photo her asshole boyfriend took and posted on some website. And Ted will have some really funny line about it, that I’d LMAO about it otherwise, but NOT so funny because she’s my daughter. That’s what I’m worried about… 😉

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Well, like I told Flav, you both have more immediate concerns in the next couple of years, such as ensuring you don’t let your daughters into any panel vans that don’t have passenger windows. Actually, anyone driving up to your house in a mobile bedro . . . umm , any type of van I would be wary of.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm

well, I get you….and even my minor indiscretions here are likely enough reason I can can never run for president…of anything….

26. pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Via Twitter, Giants put up these AWESOME hundreds of Instagram pix from the parade. Awesome a lot.

27. Flavor said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Just went through the vid again. I remember exactly what he was doing as he passed us, it was right at the 1:04 mark—still can’t find us, I think we were right next to him (though on the sidewalk) at the 1:04 mark.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I reviewed it like the Warren Commission scouring the Zapruder film of the Kennedy assassination. Can’t see us.

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I thought the Warren Commission was paid off by Texas oil men?

28. snarkk said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm

If I ran for president, I’d insult everybody in every so-called political party, i.e., tell the truth about them all, insult half the country about how stupid they are, extoll the virtues of foreign lands from whom we should learn a few things, state that the Yankees and Cowboys suck, how I’d cut the defense budget by 30% immediately, institute an excise tax on the gross proceeds of stock market transactions (for you, Blade), admit I don’t go to church of any kind, use a few 4 letter words to describe my opponents, and have a couple of belts of whiskey in a coupla sports bars on the campaign trail. Oh, and anybody that says that if my daughters were raped, they’d have to give birth to the rapist’s “gift from God”, I’d say loudly to the press that I’d punch the idiot in the the face when I had the chance. After a week, I’d either be way up in Silver’s 538, or assassinated by the Illuminati…

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

tell it, brutha! tell it! [waving church bulletin as a fan]

• blade3colorado said, on November 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I’d vote for ya.

29. pawliekokonuts said, on November 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm

SI’s Jim Trotter tweets that Harbaugh has told Smith that Kaepernick to start, not Smith — and not because of health.

• Flavor said, on November 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm

people freak out about tweets and shit and 50% of them aren’t even true. And the other 50% have a lot of qualifying to do before they become true.
      I really think they are just going to say they want to give him another week to chill. And who could blame them for wanting to get a free look at Kap on the road?
      If JH stands up and says “Kap is now my guy” then so be it. Though that would be the most unbelievably ignorant way to handle this………..

30. twinfan1 said, on November 21, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Dilfer says Harbaugh has not told Smith but it looks to be Colin for Sunday. He also says what I’ve pointed out- Chicago went with a defense that was very conducive to passing success- they went one on one, barely blitzed, Dilfer called the defense “arrogant”, they had no respect for the pass. And they never changed the look.
    Anyway, I find it hard to believe that Harbaugh would be so stupid as to say, as Flavor notes ““Kap is now my guy” … Alex is one mentally tough guy, but almost anyone would check out mentally if this report is true.

• twinfan1 said, on November 21, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Smith says this:
      “Quarterback Colin Kaepernick will take all the first-team reps for the San Francisco 49ers this week leading into Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints, quarterback Alex Smith told ESPN on Wednesday night.
      Smith told ESPN that coach Jim Harbaugh informed the two quarterbacks of the practice split Wednesday.”

31. unca_chuck said, on November 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Arrogant or not, that defense leads the league in interceptions. And they did back off of loading up the box.

• twinfan1 said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm

They’re 10th in pass defnse, AZ is 5th…watch the video, Chuckles, receivers were wide open from the get go, it was pitch and catch the whole first half.
      What was very off putting about Harbaugh was the Romney-esque contempt he showed for the fans with his remarks, saying :”I think most of the people who really want to know (who the starting quarterback will be) don’t really care whether we win or lose, to be honest with you.”
      And worse: “People are probably drooling over themselves because they have something to talk about.”
      You know what, Jimbo? The whole mess is your fucking fault, dude. Even poor Colin is embarassed by how you’ve handled this. He and Smith have shown far more class than you’ve shown. The fans you spit on may be divided on who should play QB- but we all care, pal. And if class is the measuring stick- we all “have it better than you”..

32. unca_chuck said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:03 pm

From Matt Barrows, Sac Bee:

Jim Harbaugh didn’t tell the media Wednesday who his starting quarterback would be Sunday in New Orleans, but he’s apparently perhaps told the quarterbacks. Colin Kaepernick will make his second straight start, according to a Tweet from Sports Illustrated’s Jim Trotter.

Or has that decision been made? A Tweet from ESPN indicated that Smith spoke on the phone with Trent Dilfer and that Smith said the only decision was that Kaepernick would get the first-team practice repetitions at the beginning of the week. The Tweet: “Alex Smith just told @TDESPN that Harbaugh told him Kaepernick would get 1st team reps but door open to start game based on practice.”

• twinfan1 said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Harbaugh has always been a both a great coach and totally inept socially – and he doesn’t care. But he’s botched this on every level.The man needs a spokesperson. This guy has reasonable rates, and he’s adept at being evasive when called for and “brutally frank” when you ask. Give him a call Jim 415-555-1212.
      jim

33. unca_chuck said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I could give a rat’s ass what Harbaugh says to the press. 4/5ths of it is utter horseshit. The other fifth is lies.

Gobblg gobble jive turkey gobble.

The NY GIants are 26th vs the pass. Minn 16th. Big deal.

Are you questioning Chicago leads the NFL in INTs. Why must you minimize what Cappy did?

• twinfan1 said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:00 pm

He was very good, I think I said that a few dozen times. Not good enough to unseat a QB playing as well as Smith has.What I’m pointing out, Chuckles, is the fact that Chicago does not have this overwhelming defense that the fiction on your blog claimed. Smith destroyed a better pass defense. As Dilfer said, and as anyone can confirm,the Bears also played a very defined defense on Monday.Coiln isn’t going to get that every week. Look- the commenters on your blog have always been ready to dump on Smith as soon he faltered at all. Rather than ask me about minimizing poor Kappy, maybe you should ask how anyone could be so ignorant about football as to trash Snith after he’s been 25 for 27? Or maybe you don’t understand YAC either?
      I’m not minimizing what Colin did, I’m putting in perspective. he had a good game. One good game. To justify the change, if it’s indeed made, he has a lot of work left to do. Taking the over the helm of a team that was 20-6 under the previous QB means he has to do better than that. He’s been given a team that Smith took deep in the postseason and had in front in the division this year. The minimizing is of what Alex has done.

• twinfan1 said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:02 pm

And we should absolutely care that he treated the fans with contempt with his stupid remarks.

34. zumiee said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Did the Giants do a 40 year anniversary of the ’71 team in 2011? I can’t remember.
    I got curious about the ’71 team, as to where are they now. That was my first year as a Giants fan, and then they won the division, and I thought- well, that’s pretty darned cool. Little did I know they wouldn’t win the division for another 16 years…….
    Mays and McCovey are special employees of the Giants, in a part-time way.
    Fuentes is a Giants broadcaster.
    Speier is a coach for the Reds.
    Alan Gallagher and Ken Henderson are just enjoying their retirement, I guess.
    Bobby Bonds and Dick Dietz have passed away, unfortunately.
    Marichal and Perry are enjoying retirement, too, I guess.

35. unca_chuck said, on November 21, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Snarkk, John Anderson did exactly that in 1980. That’s who I voted for.

He made way too much fucking sense.

• twinfan1 said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Was that your first election, Chuckles?

36. zumiee said, on November 21, 2012 at 11:53 pm

During the corny annual “pardoning of the turkey” White House event today, Obama
    said something like: “Nate Silver predicted the two birds that would be pardoned
    today. That guy is amazing.” That made me chuckle.
    And the other day Joe Scarborough made a public apology to Nate for ridiculing
    Nate before the election. It was more of a quasi-apology, actually, because
    Scarborough’s a schmuck, so that was about as much as he was going to do.

37. Bozo said, on November 22, 2012 at 5:06 am

I was wondering if Jason Bay would be worth gambling on. I can’t figure out if the guy just flopped being in NY, stopped juicing or if he’s just done. I know the guy has had a lot of injuries but he was a pretty good player at one point and with the Mets paying his salary a one year deal would be rather inexpensive.
    Or, maybe because it’s Thanksgiving I’m just thinking about turkey(s). Have a good one Flappers.