A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Happy Thanksgiving Flappers

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 22, 2012

Wherever you are and however you choose to do it, I hope you all honor and celebrate this special day. Oh, and Micah (Dirt), congratulations to you and your family. 🙂

Here’s a guy who looks pretty thankful:

And I am thankful for this little one in a way that can’t be measured:

1. Macdog said, on November 22, 2012 at 7:17 am

First! (sorry). Off to some turkey-day high school football. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

2. Bozo said, on November 22, 2012 at 7:22 am

Cheers all.

3. zumiee said, on November 22, 2012 at 8:56 am

Awesome post, BF. You got it covered well. Family, friends, and Giants!! A lot to be thankful for.
    Have a great day, everyone. And hopefully Washington beats Dallas. I’m looking forward to seeing RG III play; I haven’t watched one of his games yet.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 22, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thanks Craig. For all the Flappers he’s referring to my wife having a bun in the oven. Yep, I knocked her up again. With our move back to California, change of jobs and general craziness of life being unsettled, 2012 has been a hectic year for us and it isn’t even over. We are so happy for this news and my heart is swollen in anticipation of an addition to our family this spring. In a strange demented way you guys are all like family to me to and I wish you and yours a happy thanksgiving.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 22, 2012 at 10:35 am

Funny. Our buns were in the oven last night. I’m trying to make a funny here and not succeeding.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 22, 2012 at 11:42 am

lqtm

5. twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

I had missed Dirt’s news. Congratulations. Hope you all have a nice day.

• Flavor said, on November 22, 2012 at 10:33 am

he didn’t announce it here he posted it on facebook a few days ago. Then I blew the cover off the story here at the flap. 🙂

6. pawliekokonuts said, on November 22, 2012 at 10:34 am

Congrats to Dirt and his swollen-with-more-than-just-pride wife. Happy Gobules of Gobbling Day, all. But really it is a great holiday, least because of the food. Really, because gratitude says it all and heals all wounds, eh? (Where’d you get that 2 of 3 graphic? I like it.) I was going to do a H is for the Hunter, A is for the Angel thingy, but lost steam. Enjoy your gratitude, all.

7. ewisco said, on November 22, 2012 at 10:46 am

Happy Thanksgiving knuckleheads.

• snarkk said, on November 22, 2012 at 11:43 am

Wow, there is a TON of good stuff there. Too much for one sitting. Check out the vid on item #21. Hilarious!…

8. snarkk said, on November 22, 2012 at 11:25 am

KNBR is now rebroadcasting the NLDS final game 5. Buster has hit a grand slam!
    They might rebroadcast more playoff games later today, not sure. I’m tangling with a brined Turkey while listening to the game. Not a bad way to turkey wrassle. Better than friggin Detroit Lion football.
    Happy Thanksgiving Flappers!…

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 22, 2012 at 11:46 am

So how many of you guys cook up the meal in your family? It has been a tradition with us that the men do all the cooking at major holiday gatherings. There are plenty of “chefs” in the family so it works well and the ladies all get to get their drink on. I’m lucky this year. The meal is at my brother’s place and I pulled dessert so I’ll be grubbing turkey gizzards and liver while the other guys sweat it out.

• twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I now do all the cooking again. One rule-I get the pope’s nose, sometimes called the parson’s beak, or “the last part over the fence”.
      pope

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’ve never heard of them referred to that way but fry em up and I’ll eat them. Happy Thanksgiving Michael.

10. willedav said, on November 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

Poor Detroit just got burned by another one of NFL’s arcane replay rules. I always keep a high school b-ball rule book in the ball bag; can you imagine the size of the one in the NFL? Probably looks like Tolstoy.
    I know replay is coming everywhere, but there is just no way to get every play call right. someone is always going to be pissed, often justifiably.

11. blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

Happy Thanksgiving Flappers!

12. willedav said, on November 22, 2012 at 11:59 am

I realize there are procedures that have to be followed according to the byzantine formula that is NFL rules, but come on. The object is to get the call right—the guys on the field f-ed up, two guys hit the running back and he went to the ground, and it still winds up a TD. bizzaro world.
    At some point teams are going to have to hire somebody out of Hastings Law School to be “rule book co-ordinator.”

13. twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Tom Furbal of Rant.Com tweets that despite Harbaugh’s medical clearance Jed York says that Jim Tomsula will be making all the game planning and practice decisions this week. Asked for comment, Harbaugh said that only droolers care who the head coach is. Jed refused to name Sunday’s head coach but called Tomsula’s performance in the 2010 finale “A plus plus”..
    drool

14. TedSpe said, on November 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Congrats dirt!!
    Happy Thanksgiving Day Flappers!!. No turkey for me, though…

15. Flavor said, on November 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I’m cooking everything this year because it’s just me and Katie (and she’s a shitty helper in the kitchen). I couldn’t get my shit together this year in time to plan a trip to see my dad (Oregon) or my mom (Arizona) so it’s just us. I bought a brined turkey (for the first time ever). I’m still letting it get to room temperature, then I’ll baste that be-atch up and pop him in the oven. After that, it’s all pretty traditional—-garlic mashed potatoes, brussle sprouts and chestnuts, and gravy.
    Probably popping a beer soon, too………

16. snarkk said, on November 22, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I cook the turkey, that’s the tradition in my family. Mrs. Snarkk is not much of a meat eater, and she cooks meat like that. So, if there’s meat of any kind to be cooked, usually I do it. Today, I’m smoking the 14 pounder about 3 1/2 hours first in my Texas combo smoker/BBQ with some apple wood, then I’ll finish off in the oven for about an hour and half. We expected company, so we got a pretty decent sized bird, but they bailed this morning, so we’ll have leftovers. About every other year I just cook a whole breast, not buy a whole bird. That way, I can smoke the whole thing in about 6 hours. Smoking a whole bird would take all day, and I’m not up for that kind of attention, hence the combined method today. Remember, the bird is done when the breast meat is around 160-165 degrees. Take it out of the oven then, it will still cook some more. Any higher and the breast meat will turn to the Sahara. I do a trick — you can cover just the breast area with foil usually about an hour or so before you think it will be done and the drumsticks and thighs will be cooked (should be around 180), but the breast meat won’t be overdone. To finish, we’ve got some mashed sweet potatoes, asparagus, carrots/parsnips combo, gravy, smoked apple chicken sausage cornbread stuffing with chestnuts, homemade cranberry/orange relish, Mrs. Snarkk’s pumpkin pie, and a nice German riesling…

• twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm

It’s not as dramatic as presenting the whole bird but often I’ll cook the breast and leg/thighs seperately.Very labor intensive but so good is a brined roasted breast and a confit wth the legs and thighs…
      This year it’s the traditional bird..
      Snarkk- a lot of professionals have left their fields to find happiness going broke in the restaurant biz 😉
      Have you ever thought of it? Sounds like you might have the chops…

• snarkk said, on November 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Sounds good, separating them out. Oracle, you’re the expert in that field. As you well know, and a lot of pro athletes don’t, a great way to lose your ass is invest in a restaurant. What is it, 9 of 10 new restaurants fail within a year or two? Besides, it’s a helluva lot of work. No way I could spend 14+ hours a day in a hot kitchen cooking and yelling at people. That’s a young person’s game. I don’t know how you guys do it. It looks like exhausting work. And I laugh at the yahoos that want illegals to “self deport”. How many restaurants would shut in this country without chefs, sous and line chefs hailing from all points south of the border? People may like/ not like Bourdain’s books, but he is quite adamant about the contributions of central and south americans in the kitchens. Mrs. Snarkk makes the homemade cranberry/orange relish a week ahead, it takes a few days to round into tasting shape. It was my mother’s recipe, so eating it is a salute to her memory. So, so much better than that canned cranberry jello roll crap. Well, back to checking the Bird…

• twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Mexicans, Chinese, Filipinos, gays..if one can’t appreciate everyone, the restaurant business in our part of the country is something to stay out of. And some were people of great standing in their homelands. I worked with a Filipino dishwasher who had been a doctor back home. A Mexican man I hired had been a university professor.This was an interesting story. Jaime was a huge man- maybe 350 pounds, I hired him as a cook in a restaurant that I was owner/chef of in Santa Rosa. It quickly became obvious that he was just too slow on the line. We did pizza too, so I tried him there- no go.I couldn’t fire him, he had a young family. so I tried him making gnocchi. Gnocchi can be deliciously light as a feather, or it can be gummy, or it can sink into your belly like a stone- Jaime had the fingers of a piano maestro and his gnocchi were the best I’ve ever had. So there we were. I had the best paid exclusive Gnocchi Man in the biz..

• twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm

This was the restaurant where the Johnny Otis Band played Saturday nights. We became pretty good friends. He had me on his PBS show occasionally, I did some of his Red Beans and Rice festivals, he passed away early this year.I had fallen out of touch with him, I didn’t hear of his death until recently.

• snarkk said, on November 22, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Not too long ago earlier this year, we had occasion to eat Italian in SF, and ate at Bella Tratttoria, a small place at 3rd and Geary. Outstanding spinach gnocchi. Highly recommended. Like soft, airy pillows. The night before the Giants parade this month, the Snarkettes and I ate at Pazzia, on 3rd Street near Folsom, in SoMa. Small. Very good, authentic Italian. Not to mention hot Italian waitresses. The younger Snarkette said, “Daddy, I LOVE her accent”. So did Daddy…

17. Flavor said, on November 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

That’s not a half-bad song. But those back up singers, or back up hand clappers…..um…..he mighta been a little more popular if he had a few hot pieces of ass at his side.

• twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm

He did pretty well, he’s in the Rock ‘N Roll, Blues, *and* R&B Halls of Fame. He was a titan of the industry.

• twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm

A very interesting man with a fascinating life.Maybe some know that he was Greek, and lived his life as a black man. When he played at my joint he did a have a pretty hot female singer- “Little Bit”. His other female singer was Diane Swan.A son and grandson were also in the band. Another son, Shuggie, occasionally played- but was more often a no show. Shuggie could have had a big career but had drug problems.

• willedav said, on November 22, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Quite an interesting man was Mr. Kechriotes…wrote a great book too and I believe was involved in education field and some philanthropy. “Little Esther” Phillips got her start in his shows, along with many other performers who had long careers in r and b. HOF, most deservedly.

18. paulinasia said, on November 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Early Friday morning in Saigon, but still Thanksgiving for most of you, so I just want to wish you all a lovely holiday, one that was always one of my favorites, if for nothing else a 4-day weekend for me to often finish the dinner, help with the dishes, and then pile into my Jeep and head out into the desert or mountains for a few days… ah, miss that.

One little baseball note: last night I re-watched (for about the 100th time) the video compilation of all 27 outs of Matt’s perfect game. I was amazed to realize how much of Melky I didn’t even remember anymore… “oh right, Melky was in LF back then, oh right, he made that nice catch against the wall in the 6th, oh right, he made the 1st 2 put-outs in the 9th”….. Melky who? Still amazes me how this team shrugged off losing its leading hitter and run producer and ran away with it all, and made us all forget about the Melk Man. Still basking, while the turkeys are basting… Enjoy, ya’ll….

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I like that. Basking and basting. (Although with an oven bag, I basted not.)

• Flavor said, on November 22, 2012 at 5:50 pm

beautiful pic you posted earlier today on The Book, Paul. Happy thanksgiving.

19. pawliekokonuts said, on November 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Ate too much. But a fine day. 20-pound turkey. I administered the spices. Cooked it in a plastic bag. Came out fine in a little over 4 hours. Shared wife, daughter w/ pertussis, my son, his wife, my grandson. Pecan, apple, vanilla custard-meringue pies. Mildly melancholic that we did not hold hands to give thanks. I used to insist on it, from believers or agnostics or atheists. Why not this year?

• twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Geez, you have a pie shop, Paul? I’ll be on the next plane.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm

pies from daughter-in-law [who went to culinary school] and wife [who went to nursing school]

• Flavor said, on November 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I almost rolled with the bag but couldn’t pull the trigger……..

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 22, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Out of context, your remark would raise eyebrows even in the Castro hahahahahahaha.

20. pawliekokonuts said, on November 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Don’t know the singers above. Kind of interesting. Last night we watched Cajun Pawn Stars and Jerry Lee Lewis’s 3rd of 7 wives was on, the one who was 13 when she married him, the cousin. What a groundbreaker he was! And a messed up life.

21. TedSpe said, on November 22, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Johnny Otis, Bay Area native. Born and raised in Berkeley. A lot of folks who heard his music were shocked when they found out he was white. Interesting guy

• twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 6:44 pm

He had a small farm in Sebastopol when I knew him.I sold his organic aplle juice on show nights. Really tasty stuff, thick with apple pulp…His wife and I arranged an 80th birthday party for him, which was supposed to be a surprise. But he snooped in on her E-Mail and found about it. Said he wouldn’t attend, it was to be at a church hall in Sebastopol. Phyllis, his wife, said not to worry, he’ll show. About 200 people came, even notorious no show Shuggie. But no Johhny. He sat at home in an all night snit. It was a great party.

22. twinfan1 said, on November 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm

GNight.I’m torn between a turkey san and bedtime.BOTH!!!

23. TedSpe said, on November 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm

One last Johnny Otis quip. A sort of personal one: The song HAND JIVE that twin provided a video for was used in the musical GREASE as well. Kinda weird as most of the songs were originals but they threw this one in. The song was played during the dance contest scene where the DJ Vince Fontaine, a complete sleaze who’s making out with a High School student just before this song, wandered about the dance floor tapping people to let’em know they’ve been disqualified. I played this Fontaine character in a production about 3-4 years ago. The director instructed me to disqualify couples from the contest by, in character as a sleaze, grabbing the girls asses briefly. She warned the cast that this is what she wanted and everything went well for a while.
    One night, my costume was missing and I was running around trying to find where someone put it. In a panic, I opened the girls dressing room and asked if anyone had seen my costume. One actress said “Shit. It’s bad enough he gets to grab our asses..he gets to see us naked too??!!”

After that..I had to tap them on the shoulder when I disqualified them.

24. ferrethead said, on November 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Falling asleep, but couldn’t call it a night with out telling my fellow Flappers how thankful I am to Flav for the blog, and all of you, my Flap Family! I may listen to the games alone, but I get to share my joy with you and that makes it all the better.

Congrats – dirt & family!!! Many blessings to you and yours!