Today is a Big Big (Flavor) Day

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 30, 2012

Most of you don’t care about Stanford or might even be actively rooting against them in today’s Pac 12 Championship Game vs UCLA.  Stanford played in a bunch of Rose Bowl’s in the 20’s and 30’s when it was just a bunch of smallish white guys scurrying around.  Then there was a long drought. I had just entered the world when they played in  ’71 and ’72 so I’ve really only gotten to witness the Cardinal play in a single Rose Bowl: they lost to Wisconsin in 2000 (of course, it was the 1999 team). They likely would have won had Troy Walters not gotten injured a couple of days before the game. Anyway, I was barely still alive in Vegas that day so I didn’t give the game the full attention that it deserved……

And today, if they beat UCLA, they will go to their 2nd Rose Bowl (for me). So today is a big, big day. I’m not going to the game, mostly because of the weather, but I might change my mind on that as the day progresses. I’ve driven by Stanford Stadium probably 20 times this week and the trailers had started filling the stadium parking lot on Monday.

I am putting their chances for winning the game at 80%, maybe higher.

I’ve always bought into the pomp and circumstance of the Rose Bowl. The parade in the morning, the location, Keith Jackson’s distinctive voice kicking off the show and us descending on the New Year’s Day party food spread—at least that’s how it was growing up. Later, the start of the game would signal the first of 4 or 5 beers that I’d power down to fix the hang over from the night before…….

The football program built at Stanford (by Jim Harbaugh) is really an incredible feat if you think about it. Having to recruit some of the nation’s best football players, with the strict academic requirements that Stanford doesn’t budge on, is nearly impossible to do. And their graduation rate of 90% or so (compared to Cal’s 48%) is also impressive. They have consistently been one of the best teams in the country for the last 3 years. I’m not a big David Shaw fan, I think he’s way too conservative in his game calling, but it’s tough to argue with his success since Harbaugh left.

So yeah, this is a big, big day for me. Go Cardinal.

1. chipower9 said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:20 am

I follow both of the Bay Area college football teams, but always root for Cal when the Ax is on the line. But today, against UCLA (I detest the SoCal teams…especially USC – the University of Spoiled Children), so I am all in for Stanford.

And I agree…what they have done the last couple of years, given their academic admission requirements is very impressive. I haven’t followed them closely, but do know that Shaw has been Pac 12 Coach of the Year for the past two years, so obviously a lot of people are impressed with what he is doing.

I also cannot stand the Quack Attack, and got to catch most of that game. That was satisfying to see Stanford beat the Ducks in their own house.

And while I did not see the Stanford/Notre Dame (another team I detest in college football), I did see a number of replays of the goal line stand in overtime, and feel that Stanford got jobbed and should have won the game. That certainly would have changed the landscape in regards to rankings, and who is playing in which particular bowl game.

Anyway, I will definitely be tuned in for this game. Go Cardinal!

• ewisco said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:29 am

the ND game, a classic example of shaw being too conservative.

2. willedav said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:26 am

Furd success starts with recruiting, and then goes into fitting a system around the talent you have. Getting guys like Skov, Taylor and Ertz (not to mention the obvious andrew luck) to come here to play football in the first place is half the battle. Try doing that at Wazzu. Part of Cal’s problem is tedford losing good local recruits to northern schools, including the Mannion kid from OSU that hammered his ass from right in his backyard.
    But certainly, developing and molding the talent into national power status takes a lot more. going into Oregon and shutting their running game down completely is quite an accomplishment. The Pac is down this year, with only the Oregon schools being worth an f…if Shaw hadn’t pissed away the UW game he might be in line for a rematch with the Irish, whom he played to a standstill.
    Graduation rates are a useless stat tho, imo– what’s done to keep kids *eligible* is laughable. Maybe this is only sour grapes from cal fans, but it’s common knowledge no one flunks out of Stanford. If you want an education you can get one anywhere–if not that doesn’t matter either, kids will find a way around it or transfer.

3. ewisco said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:28 am

I was riding my bike to Stanford stadium for those 70’s rose bowl teams. i’d pay a dollar to sit in the end zone with my bag lunch to eat. the student section did the card things and i remember all the roses when they qualified to go (I want to say they beat USC that day). The cheerleaders weren’t that cute but the whole scene was fantastic to a middle schooler. Plunket to Vataha. excellent. and then the fake field goal in the rose bowl. perfect. and then in the 80’s, i was out of college but still had buds who were in graduate school at Stanford. I got student tickets and what a blast. they would let you bring in a playmate cooler of anything you wanted. it holds 14 coors with ice for those of you who are curious. 2 before the game, 2 each quarter, 2 at halftime and 2 for hanging around after the game listening to the band and trying to pick up college chicks. The day games, sitting in the sun on the east side were fabulous, just absolutelyl baking in the sun. There was a banner above the east stands that when the top edge was straight, the team did well and when it sagged, the team did too. at least it always seemed that way to me. watched Elway play ( I was at the fucking debacle at Cal, still have the ticket stub). watched his dad kick our ass while coaching at SJS.

So i will be watching too. with one of my stanford shirts on and a cold adult beverage in hand.

The ruination of New Years day football tradition will be a subject for a different rant.

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

excellent post. were you still going to the games when Ken Margerum was playing? After he would score a td the scoreboard would flash *Imperial Mergerum*. We all thought that was a hoot. Football games at the old stanford stadium in the 70’s were the best. And me and my friends played in countless mud football games ON THE FIELD in the off season. We’d usually get in about an hour or so of a game before some random stanford employee would show up and kick us off the field.
      Imagine trying that stunt in today’s world…….

• ewisco said, on November 30, 2012 at 8:29 am

absolutely remember ken. he was elway’s favorite target if i recall. I caught his last year. I loved the indian chief on his pony and the cannon that fired after every score. also things of the past. in the guest room at my house are two of the old “indian” pennants with a chief’s and his war bonnet imaged along with the stadium. one was tastefully done but one had the guy looking more like the cleveland indian mascot which is a travesty.

4. Bozo said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:42 am

I probably won’t watch the game but if it makes the Big Flavor happy, I’m all in for Stanford.

So with the BJ Upton deal, I’m thinking Mr. Blanco better be working on his lead off skills.

5. gianthead said, on November 30, 2012 at 8:52 am

Go Cardinal!

I have been absent for a few weeks and failed to notify the group and Flav (I may have said something last year), but Kevin Hogan is one of my good friend’s son. His dad is also a client of mine. Kevin originally went to high school a block from my house and then transferred to a bigger program at Gonzaga in DC

Only time I met Kevin, he was probably 13 and his dad took us to a Wizards game maybe 7-8 years ago. Watching his poise and maturity since the Oregon State start has been really unbelievable. He may be a mix of Kapernick and Luck….Go Cardinal!

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

that’s rad. Maybe he can score you a sweet rose bowl seat.

• gianthead said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:28 am

I have propsoed the road trip!!!

6. willedav said, on November 30, 2012 at 8:57 am

My HS had same colors and fight song as the furd and a kid dressed up in an Indian mask and headdress as mascot. I was there last night to watch some girls I coached few years ago play in a HS b-ball tounament, and yes they changed the school nickname long ago to some stupid bird name that doesn’t even exist.
    Elway himself was part of a QB controversy with Turk Schonert as I remember. Furd had a long line of great QBs and receivers, played a wide open style and were usually fun to watch. And yeah, Jose State (my boys) often gave them a pretty good game.
    Interesting philosophy on what you do in rain games; actually receivers have quite an ad over DBs when it comes to footwork, altho speed guys in general have a harder time making quick moves and cuts I guess. Furd should roll these guys tho regardless, just on strength of both lines.

• gianthead said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:29 am

Spartan Alum here too willedav

• Salty said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

You guys old enough to remember Crazy George?

7. gianthead said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:02 am

Ands now for some baseball, I have not even had a chance to celebrate our World Series championship with you Flappers. The day after the championship, we of course got hit by that Hurricane Sandy. We were just fine, just 20 hours without electricity, but then I was out campaigning in Florida right after that Hurricane (to poor affect in Florida mind you).

Then one thing after the next (6 year old had his second eye-surgery, everything is good), then Thanksgiving yada-yada, so wanted to some thoughts on this ridiculous BJ Upion deal.

Twin, myself and others thought BJ has had two very mediocre years and then to be rewarded with a 5-year $75 mill deal is ridiculous. Do the Flappers think that Upton deal sets the floor or the ceiling for a CF???

I am going to bet that the Nationals are now going to counter the Braves move by throwing even more money and years at Bourn and build up that rivalry with the Braves further. But does these two contracts then have someone throwing something similar at years and maybe slightly less money for Pagan? Couldn’t you see the Mets trying to get Pagan back?

As the Flappers know, I love me some Fantasy Pagan. But I would not go more than 2 years and $20 mill for him, maybe 3-years $27 mill (BTW, that is what I would offer Pence as well), but looks like the market is pushing prices higher.

I still would love to get my hands on Ellsbury…

• Flavor said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:09 am

Pagan will get at least 3 years/36 (IMO).

• twinfan1 said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:39 am

That was what I thought, too. I’ve give him the bucks but no way the 5 years that it was rumored he wanted.

• chipower9 said, on November 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I agree. NO way he signs for two years…he would laugh at that. I think three is a minimum. I can see him getting close to what Flav says. Maybe even 3 at 39, tops, with possibly a club option for a 4th.

• Bozo said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:16 am

I think the Nats feel they countered the Braves move by trading with the Twins for Span. So that’s a couple of teams out of the CF sweepstakes.

• gianthead said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

Well Bozo, talking about news fresh out of the hot press…

8. gianthead said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:31 am

I could live with Pagan at $36 mill at 3 years, but isn’t the market for him more than that now?

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:50 am

My guess is that’s not going to get it done. He’ll get 4 years with a 5th option and a decent buyout. The market is not saturated with good center fielders…

• Bozo said, on November 30, 2012 at 10:30 am

With Upton getting five, I agree that Pagan is looking for four years as a start.

9. snarkk said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

Stanford should win today, but you never know.
    The Cal graduation rate is atrocious, it’s not all Tedford’s fault, the AD is on the line for that, too. The new HC will have to push that up some. But, the Furd is known for laughably big time grade inflation. You pay that much to go there, you’re not going to flunk out.
    Go Bruins!…

10. Flavor said, on November 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

I think the Upton deal bumped Pagan’s worth up a little and that why I said 3 years/36 million. Bourn and Upton have always been considered the top 2 free agent CF’s. Pagan had a very nice year last year, better than Upton’s in many ways, but Upton was still always the guy to get the bigger, longer deal over pagan.

11. Salty said, on November 30, 2012 at 10:07 am

No particular allegiance, but I’d like to see Stanford in the Rose Bowl again. Remember the Plunkett Vataha days, even though I was a WSU fan then because my Dad was an alumni. Used to drive down when the ‘Cougs’ were in town or go over to Berkeley when they faced Cal. Always got their ass kicked in those days, but my old man didn’t care. He just wanted to hang with his buddies from Pullman.

12. twinfan1 said, on November 30, 2012 at 10:33 am

Dierkes talks about 10-12 per year, 3 or 4 years as being the market for Crazy Horse. If so, that’s right where a lot of us have proposed. They also have a poll, with over 18,000 voters that favors Angel 55% to 44% over Victorino as the preferre CFer to sign.I’m surprised it’s that close.

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2012 at 11:35 am

I doubt if there are too many SF fans in that poll, at least knowledgeable ones. Maybe Philly (and LA) fans packing the vote…

• chipower9 said, on November 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Me too…that is surprising (how close it is percentage wise). I’d take Pagan over Victorino any day.

13. Macdog said, on November 30, 2012 at 10:37 am

I used to have a Stanford hoodie that my brother got me when he was living in the Bay Area back in the 80s. And I went to a “Big Game” at Stanford in ’89, I think Stanford won but really don’t remember much at all about the game. So Flav, I’ll be pulling for your Cardinal to finally make it back to Pasadena. Hopefully they’ll fare better tonight than Rutgers, which last night gagged away probably its best chance to go to a major bowl before they move in with the big boys in 2014.

• ewisco said, on November 30, 2012 at 11:12 am

I still have my hoodie from the 80’s. a little threadbare but all the good things are at this point.

14. Salty said, on November 30, 2012 at 11:01 am

15. Bozo said, on November 30, 2012 at 11:28 am

I’m not sure how many of you follow the Brandon’s and White Shark blogs, if you do and are interested, Craw just posted a new one. IMO, a very good one.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2012 at 11:37 am

Just talked with former NBA great Dolph Schayes for a half-hour and gave him my book. (I recognized him as he walked into a coffee shop at LeMoyne College, my alma mater.) He grew up on 183rd Street, in the Bronx, about a mile from Yankee Stadium. but he was a St. Louis Browns fan! Something about liking their brown and orange unis! And when they moved, he became a Baltimore Orioles fan. I can identify with that sort of attachment (well, Paul, put it in your book). He can recite the Browns 1944 lineup; he tells me they played the Cardinals in the Series. (I will trust his memory; born in 1928). Gotta love talking baseball on November 30 — with an NBA legend and Hall of Famer.

17. snarkk said, on November 30, 2012 at 11:42 am

I remember going to the Big Game at the Furd Stadium in 1999. The older Snarkette was still a Babe in Arms, and we took her wearing a Bears Logo Ski Cap and mini Cal uni. She was very cute, still have pictures. Beautiful day for the game, as I remember. I forgot the outcome, understandable, as Wiki says the Tree beat Oski 31-13. Not surprised; that was in the middle of the 5-year Tom Holmoe reign of disaster at Cal. The Furd had its Teevens and Harris walk in the wilderness era, Cal had Holmoe. If I had played at Cal for Holmoe during that time, I might just want to keep that quiet…

18. Salty said, on November 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Seems bizarre the Pirates outbid the Yankees for Russell Martin.

• Bozo said, on November 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Salty – I was reading somewhere that, other then picking up guys off of waivers, the Yanks haven’t even started to bid on position players yet.

19. twinfan1 said, on November 30, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Went to a few U of Minn games in ’61, their Rose Bowl year.( Game was played in ’62, of course) QB was Sandy Stephens, the first black QB to be an All-American. Coach Murray Warmath actively recruited blacks, that was pretty controversial back then. Read a great quote from Warmath:
    “The only people I discriminate against are people who can’t play football.”
    The Gophers were the National Champs the year before, but lost the Rose Bowl- rankings were done before the bowl games back then. Bobby Bell was on that team as well. They beat UCLA to avenge the previous loss. I believe it was their only Rose Bowl win. Sandy played briefly in the NFL, as a running back. Later he wrote this:
    “As a pioneer in the field – First black Consensus All-American Quarterback. My experiences leave me feeling like the Moses of Black quarterbacks – able to see the Promised Land, but unable to enter it.”
    He died in 2000 at 59-and was elected to the College Football all of Fame in 2011.
    sandy

• Salty said, on November 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Interesting Twinfan. I had not heard of Stephens.

“Before Martin Luther King Jr marched on Washington, Sandy Stephens paraded in Pasadena.”

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on November 30, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Verducci has written a couple of pretty good columns over at SI recently. Earlier in the week he touched on replay ideas that should be implemented. One that I like was a Mac Cam for the foul line. This seems like a pretty simple one to put in place. Today he had Morris, Biggio and Schilling as HOF candidates. I don’t know how Morris is not in. Dude was nails. Biggio and Schilling? Pass. Here is the link on the HOF article if you are interested.

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Of those three, Biggio is in, IMO. The other two on the fence. Morris may get in after a coupla more years, they make the fence riders sweat it out. Schilling’s assholiness may hinder him…

21. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Yeah, saw a bunch of games at the old Stanford stadium, (and the occasional Dead show at Frost, and the Tubes in some small gym on campus in 1975). The funny thing was the rush to the liquor store across El Camino at halftime. If you weren’t fast, you were fucked . . .

Saw a few of those Plunkett games as my brother in law went to SJSU, and a friend of the family was Lynn Swann’s mom, so we’d go see the USC games as well. Had a friend who, in his 1st year there (1979), roomed with an offensive lineman (John Bergren). This was Margerum’s junior year (I think) at Stanford, and we did quite a bit of drinking at the Goose and the O. It was a blast to hang out with him at Lake Lagunita, as he was a chick magnet, and I hooked up a couple times because of him.

Also would go when it was so easy to walk up, buy a cheap ticket and watch Elway run around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Man, haven’t thought about Lake Laug in years . . .

• ewisco said, on November 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm

1934 Rose Bowl – Columbia (my alma mater) 7 Stanford 0 in the only meeting between the teams.

HA!

also have good memories of the bonfire at lake laug.

22. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Holy fucking shit! David Wright gets 8 years and $138 million from the Mets?

Gaaaaahh! What a joke. What’s Pagan going to want?

• unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm

At least 4 + and option now. Good to see the owners being so circumspect about contracts.

23. zumiee said, on November 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm

“G’s can’t be too happy about paying Pagan 12m, after they passed on the 1 yr, 13m qualifying offer.”

I’m sure it was discussed here, and I’m just forgetting; but how do the Giants offer Pagan a one-year contract in that situation without it being a complete slap in the face to hiim, and probably totally alienating him?
    It sounds like the Giants are doing the right thing, IMO. Keep a good vibe between the Giants and Pagan, and maybe they get a deal done that both sides can live with. If not, then we wish Pagan well in his future endeavors.

24. Salty said, on November 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm

How does it alienate him when he made just 4.5m last yr?

• unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I’m sure he feels he’s earned a multi-year deal.

• Salty said, on November 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm

There’s no question he deserves a multi-year deal. And he would have rejected the qualifying offer. But I think the G’s wanted him back, but at about 10 per.

25. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Would he turn down 3/36 with an option for a 4th? If so, oh well . . .

• unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Although with the money flying around already, the Giants may need to go 4/50 to keep him. . .

• Bozo said, on November 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm

“the Giants may need to go 4/50 to keep him. . .”

Hello Mr Blanco. I don’t see the Giants going more than three years and maybe an option on Pagan.

26. wswin said, on November 30, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Anyone saying Craig Biggio isn’t a HOF isn’t paying attention….he had 3060 hits. Repeat, 3060. 3000 gaurantees membership!

• unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Ehhhhh. He had some good years, but was he dominant? Naaah. Frigging Dale Murphy deserves it more than him.

27. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Personally I hated Murphy, but he had like 8 years of raking like no one else.

• snarkk said, on November 30, 2012 at 4:53 pm

He’s a Mormon, so I would guess the only PEDs issue with him is strong lemonade. Not enough HRs was his main HOF qualifying problem (398), I think. Plus, only a .265 BA…

• unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I’m not really sold on Murphy, but if Bigggio gets in, then I don’t see why Murphy doesn’t. Frankly, it’s all bullshit. It shouldn’t be up to a bunch of clown writers . . .

28. Alleykat said, on November 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Stanford is gonna roll tonight over UCLA.Stephan Taylor will run wild,and the Defense will stuff the pansys from Smogville.Fucking Rose Bowl on the line,and i want Stanford in it!
    Fuck any team from Southern California,which includes USC,Lakers,Clippers,Angels,and of course the King of Pond Scum the Fucking Dodgers!!!
    Fuck it throw in Padres,and Chargers as well.

29. zumiee said, on November 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I read a Barry Bonds interview the other day on the web; and I don’t really care one way or the other if he gets in the Hall. But if Bonds doesn’t get in, Clemens shouldn’t either.
    Bonds said something like: “I don’t understand why sportswriters hold such long grudges.”
    Yeah, Barry Bonds played baseball way back in the early 2000s. You all remember the early 2000s, don’t you? Humans had only recently stopped living in caves, and solved the mystery of how to start a fire, and were learning to write in hieroglyphics.

30. zumiee said, on November 30, 2012 at 6:22 pm

The tackling hasn’t been great, but the game is very entertaining.

31. Flavor said, on November 30, 2012 at 6:59 pm

The Cardinal D has been a joke, I’ve never seen their run defense perform like this. Maybe it’s the weather but I think it’s the schemes. UCLA clearly just watched the tape from last week and Shaw made no adjustments. Luckily, UCLA can’t grab the ground. I’m praying that Shaw finally adjusts at halftime.
    Ok, I’m in lock down tonight. Talk to you guys after the game.

32. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Strange but true headline right now at nytimes.com: ‘A Ponzi Scheme for Flappers.’

33. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Go, Cardinal! (Something the Pope might shout at a Sistine Chapel volleyball match.)

34. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Non-tender news coming in like early election returns: Jair Jurrjens, Peter Moylan, Andres Torres, Mike Pelfry, Dan Johnson, Scott Cousins claimed by the Angels, Phil “A Perfect Game Ruined Me” Humber by the Astros.

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Nate the Great, non-tendered.

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:24 pm

How often has Sabean ever given up on a player and they went on to great success somewhere else? Not very often; in fact, at the moment, off the top of my head, I can’t think of anyone. I’m sure there has been, though….

• zumiee said, on November 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Since the Joe Nathan, etc., trade, I guess. (grin)

• unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Jeff Kent?

35. Flavor said, on November 30, 2012 at 8:46 pm

ewisco *quiet fist clench*……
    Pasadena.

36. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Apropos of nothing is anyone digging on Daniel Stern fining the San Antonio Spurs $250,000 for not taking some of their big names to a road game in Miami? Pops said he was merely giving some players some needed rest for all the road games they’ve played this month.

So, now we have commissioners dictating how to coach teams in the NBA? That’s seriously fucked up. I thought GOodie Goodell was overbearing.

MIssed the Stanford game . . . Glad they made it.

37. unca_chuck said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Apropos of everything, Brian Wilson not tendered a contract.

He’s officially a free agent.

38. pawliekokonuts said, on November 30, 2012 at 9:28 pm